PDA

View Full Version : Some good news (finally) for the Catamounts

The Cats
April 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
WCU improves 'night and day' since fall

ASHEVILLE — The real measuring stick for Western Carolina’s football program is a few months away.

But after concluding spring drills over the weekend, second-year coach Mark Speir has no doubt his Catamounts are a much better team than the group that ended last season 1-10.

As evidence, he points to video footage of last spring’s practice sessions compared with what he saw the past few weeks.

“We really have come miles,” Speir said Wednesday. “We are a heck of a lot better. I’m proud of the strides our defensive unit made, and our offense has gotten a lot better. We became a lot better football team this spring.”

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130425/SPORTS/304250027/WCU-improves-night-day-since-fall

CID1990
April 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
WCU had an adequate offense last year. They would have won at least 2-3 more games of their defense had been worth a toot.

Sent from the center of the universe.

SU DOG
April 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM
WCU had an adequate offense last year. They would have won at least 2-3 more games of their defense had been worth a toot.

Sent from the center of the universe.

DITTO this. Western appears ready for that SoCon win(s). I just hope it isn't my Dogs that it happens against, as it almost did last year.

catamount man
April 28th, 2013, 02:42 PM
DITTO this. Western appears ready for that SoCon win(s). I just hope it isn't my Dogs that it happens against, as it almost did last year.

Yep, I saw in EJWS that day and just knew y'all were gonna pull it out. That is what has been so frustrating the last few years as a WCU fan. We need to win at least 4 games this year. So sick of losing!

AshevilleApp2
April 29th, 2013, 07:54 AM
It would be ironic if they beat App next season and got to keep the "Jug" permanently.

PAllen
April 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
It would be ironic if they beat App next season and got to keep the "Jug" permanently.

Any word on continuing the rivalry after you guys move up?

Apphole
April 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM

The rivalry has been dead for almost a decade.

AshevilleApp2
April 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Nothing that I know of.

The Cats
April 30th, 2013, 01:18 PM

I assume whoever wins the final game in Boone this year will keep the jug.

I don't foresee WCU traveling back to Boone for football in the next 10-15 years, what would be the point?

walliver
April 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I don't think any SoCon team will play GSU or ASU anytime in the near future (after this year of course). There is too much old history to make this a good money game.

Marshall has played only 2 SoCon teams since leaving. Wofford in Marshall's first year in the MAC (which really doesn't count because the two were not in the SoCon at the same time), and they recently played WCU.

I suspect GSU's FCS game will remain Savannah State, and ASU will pick up a Big South or OVC team.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I don't think any SoCon team will play GSU or ASU anytime in the near future (after this year of course). There is too much old history to make this a good money game.

Marshall has played only 2 SoCon teams since leaving. Wofford in Marshall's first year in the MAC (which really doesn't count because the two were not in the SoCon at the same time), and they recently played WCU.

I suspect GSU's FCS game will remain Savannah State, and ASU will pick up a Big South or OVC team.

I imagine GSU and App. State will both have at least one FCS game for 2014. GSU already has Navy, Tech, and NC State for OOC and the fourth game will probably be an FCS home game. Don't know what App's OOC schedule for 2014 looks like other than Michigan, though.

catamount man
April 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
3 teams. Marshall beat App in 2002 50-17.

Eaglesrus
April 30th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I imagine GSU and App. State will both have at least one FCS game for 2014. GSU already has Navy, Tech, and NC State for OOC and the fourth game will probably be an FCS home game. Don't know what App's OOC schedule for 2014 looks like other than Michigan, though.

I believe that Duquesne is going to be our home non-conference game in '14.

PAllen
May 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
I believe that Duquesne is going to be our home non-conference game in '14.

Wow. Just wow.

I guess that's one way to pad the schedule and help ease the early losses in FBS, but coming from a group that so roundly criticized GA State for their weak scheduling as an FBS, Duquesne is just a head scratcher.

Saint3333
May 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
GSU will be playing 9 games vs. FBS opponents that have had 85 scholarships for 3+ years. GSU will have 85 scholarships, but very on freshman and sophomores unless they pull in 10 Jucos.

fc97
May 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM
GSU will be playing 9 games vs. FBS opponents that have had 85 scholarships for 3+ years. GSU will have 85 scholarships, but very on freshman and sophomores unless they pull in 10 Jucos.

so the answer is to pick up a team with less scholarships than most d-ii teams? i'm not criticizing gsu for this, criticizing you for the excuse making.

GATA_Eagles
May 1st, 2013, 11:38 AM
so the answer is to pick up a team with less scholarships than most d-ii teams? i'm not criticizing gsu for this, criticizing you for the excuse making.

The Duquesne game was actually scheduled before the move. From what I've heard (From discussions about our coaches tour) we dropped the Hampton game because they were demanding more money to come play us now.

fc97
May 1st, 2013, 01:05 PM
The Duquesne game was actually scheduled before the move. From what I've heard (From discussions about our coaches tour) we dropped the Hampton game because they were demanding more money to come play us now.

well, wouldnt you demand more money. when the schedule was made it was an even playing field for the teams. now, the teams are getting more money, better recruits, more scholarships and the agreement is no longer what the original teams were banking on. it went from a coule be win, to a likely thrashing on the fbs to fcs scale of things.

Saint3333
May 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM

I have no problem signing up Elon to come to Boone in 2014. If you guys aren't interesting App and GSU will move on to the next FCS program that is.

Who do you want them to play in 2014?

cmaxwellgsu
May 1st, 2013, 03:29 PM
well, wouldnt you demand more money. when the schedule was made it was an even playing field for the teams. now, the teams are getting more money, better recruits, more scholarships and the agreement is no longer what the original teams were banking on. it went from a coule be win, to a likely thrashing on the fbs to fcs scale of things.

That was going to be a thrashing either way.