PDA

View Full Version : Loudest Playoff Eligible I-AA Team Stadiums?

GaSouthern
September 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Who has the top ten loudest I-AA stadiums in playoff football?

I'd assume last year would be something like
1: Montana
2: Appalacian State
3-10?????

Anyone have any stats like dB levels or just educated guesses from experience?

Chi Panther
September 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
UNI (Dome)
Texas State (Large Seating Capacity)

Mountaineer
September 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM
McNeese State
Georgia Southern
Delaware

GaSouthern
September 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I forgot about UNI I am sure they are one of the top 5!

elkmcc
September 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
:eyebrow: If Montana could ever acheive "large seating capacity" I am sure we would do ok.

McNeese75
September 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
UNI (Dome)
Texas State (Large Seating Capacity)

:confused: Tx State Stadium holds 15,218. Is that "large seating capacity" in I-AA?

Reed Rothchild
September 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Montana, I've been there and it rivals the Metrodome with 56K screaming like crazy.

Montana fans don't just cheer after a big play. They know when to yell. They make it a point that you can't hear in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage. Then when the game is somewhat out of reach, they pile on and start screaming even LOUDER!!! It is truly amazing that they can be that loud ALL the time and even LOUDER when it matters most.

Yes, the UNI-Dome can get loud when it needs to be, but the Montana faithful always show up and are always screaming.

crunifan
September 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'd be shocked if UNI wasn't anything other than one or two. Let's face it, we have something you guys don't...a metal roof. I would assume North Dakota State would get loud too, but the FargoDome is bigger than the UNI-Dome so the noise has more places to go.

I would think Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, Appalachian State, etc. are all really loud too.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks Reed, you were there before the 4100 seat expansion. LOL

FargoBison
September 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
The Fargodome gets pretty loud and is usually pretty full and I'm sure if NDSU ever hosts a playoff game the place will be going crazy.

Top 5
1. Montana
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. App St
5. GSU? UD? McNeese? Montana St? YSU?

elkmcc
September 4th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks Reed, you were there before the 4100 seat expansion. LOL

Yes but it would be nice if we had "large seating capacity".xlolx

elkmcc
September 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Montana, I've been there and it rivals the Metrodome with 56K screaming like crazy.

Montana fans don't just cheer after a big play. They know when to yell. They make it a point that you can't hear in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage. Then when the game is somewhat out of reach, they pile on and start screaming even LOUDER!!! It is truly amazing that they can be that loud ALL the time and even LOUDER when it matters most.

Yes, the UNI-Dome can get loud when it needs to be, but the Montana faithful always show up and are always screaming.

Thanks. P.S. You might bring your fellow UNI fan up to date.

ASU Kep
September 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM
1) Montana
2) App State
3) UNI
4) Georgia Southern
5) Youngstown?
6) McNeese?

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 4th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I think Ralph should go around to the schools listed here with a Decibal Meter and see who can get the loudest.

ASU Kep
September 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think Ralph should go around to the schools listed here with a Decibal Meter and see who can get the loudest.

I don't think anybody's louder then ASU fans, but Montana is blessed with better acoustics and a field that DOESN'T HAVE AN F'IN TRACK AROUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :mad: :mad: :mad: xidiotx :twocents:

chrisattsu
September 4th, 2006, 04:43 PM
:confused: Tx State Stadium holds 15,218. Is that "large seating capacity" in I-AA?

Texas State may only hold 15.2, but last year during the play offs, people were reporting hearing the "Texas....... State" chant roughly 2.5 miles away in the Walmart Parking Lot.

You don't necessarily need 40,000 seats to be the loudest venue.

RadMann
September 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
My team's fans are louder than your team's fans... lolxlolx

UNHFan99
September 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I have been fortunate enough to play at Montana, Delaware, and GSU. I would have to say Montana was louder than any stadium I have ever been in. I still tell the story of how I couldnt hear myself yell the cadence on the opening kickoff of our playoff game. Im not sure if it has something to do with the mountains surrounding the stadium or just the great fans but it was definitelly an experience to remember.

ASU Kep
September 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
My team's fans are louder than your team's fans... lolxlolx

Hey, only cuz it's true. :p ;)

RadMann
September 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I've been to games at UD and UNH and I can definitely say that Delaware Stadium is louder than UNH's place... ;)

GSUhooligan
September 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I have been fortunate enough to play at Montana, Delaware, and GSU. I would have to say Montana was louder than any stadium I have ever been in. I still tell the story of how I couldnt hear myself yell the cadence on the opening kickoff of our playoff game. Im not sure if it has something to do with the mountains surrounding the stadium or just the great fans but it was definitelly an experience to remember.

That's not a fair comparison. You were at GSU when it was thanksgiving break, and it was raining and cold(something GSU fans are not accustomed to). Come back when school is in session and the weather is normal.

RadMann
September 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Most of the time playoff games are not as well attended as regular season games due to the fact that a percentage of the regulars might not have planned for a game and are out of town, etc. UD never draws as well for playoff games as regular games which are generally sold out.

elkmcc
September 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
That's not a fair comparison. You were at GSU when it was thanksgiving break, and it was raining and cold(something GSU fans are not accustomed to). Come back when school is in session and the weather is normal.

Would it be more fair it were still thanksgiving weekend, 0 degrees, snowing and still Wa/Griz still had 20,000 fans in it screaming their heads off?

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Montana is #1 in my book. Youngstown is Top 3 IMHO, and that is being as unbias as you can get.

YSU is 21,000 seats literally just a few yards from the field.. The noise is very loud there.... Just look at these pictures, its loud alright in the Ice Castle!

http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/319_348.ts1157060088000.jpg
http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/318_348.ts1157059812000.jpg

If I-AA Fans want to show off I-AA to the world, showing Montana and YSU stadiums with a packed house would be just perfect!

UNHFan99
September 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I didnt neccessarily mean that UD and GSU werent fine places to play and I certainly understand that at UD it wasnt a playoff game and at GSU the weather and holiday weekend played a major role. I was merely pointing out that Montana was the greatest place I played and that even with the extenuating circumstances Delaware and Georgia Southern were still great places to play.

Chi Panther
September 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM

I stand corrected....going off memory, I thought there was 20K at the UNI at Texas State game last year....

Scoring Summary (Final)
2005 UNI Football
#6 UNI vs #4 Texas State (12-09-05 at San Marcos, Texas)

UNI (11-3) vs. Texas State (11-3)
Date: 12-09-05 Site: San Marcos, Texas Stadium: Bobcat Stadium
Attendance: 15712

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 OT [ 5 ] Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -- [ - ] -----
UNI................. 14 9 6 8 3 [ 3 ] - 40
Texas State......... 0 17 13 7 0 [ 0 ] - 37

SwampEagle
September 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Since you brought up the subject....

Whose House?!?!?

cpstang
September 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
how big must a stadium be to host a playoff game?

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
how big must a stadium be to host a playoff game?
Does not matter. If your seeded your an auto home bid I beleive.... It depends on money otherwise and how much you can make.

NH got one last year and their stadium is smaller than most high school stadiums in Youngstown.

Reed Rothchild
September 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I also forgot to add Youngstown to the list. Stambaugh and the Dome are the 2 loudest venues in the Gateway. Penguin fans can be a lot like Montana fans in that they know when to be loud.

crunifan
September 4th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Let's put it this way, does any other team have conference rivals (Youngstown State) practice in a gym with speakers blaring crowd noises to help them prepare for your game?

In all seriousness though, UNI wouldn't be number one if it wasn't for the dome. That is for sure. We're loud, but we couldn't compete with Montana, Youngstown, or the other 20,000+ stadiums.

Reed Rothchild
September 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
UNI has the POTENTIAL to be the loudest. But, unfortunately we aren't the #1 show in our state/area much like Delaware, Montana, and to an extent YSU. Its sad but true. People don't consistently show up until Iowa and ISU start their bowl season breaks during the playoffs.

bobbythekidd
September 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Whose House?!?!?

OUR HOUSE!!:hurray:

McNeese75
September 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Texas State may only hold 15.2, but last year during the play offs, people were reporting hearing the "Texas....... State" chant roughly 2.5 miles away in the Walmart Parking Lot.

Ask some of the others here about how far their fans are heard. I can assure you 2.5 miles is no big deal. This is not smack, I was just wondering why the term large capacity was used to describe the stadium and my question was answered.

elkmcc
September 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
My great grandmother used to complain that the stadium noise kept her from getting her midday nap. She lived 150 miles to the east. It is no problem any more though. She changed her nap time and now she never misses a game.

griz&beer
September 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM
We have some load games. We have some sorry fans on the west side also. I was at the game when ESPN showed how load it was. The decibel meter was in 100's(anyone recall?( Ronbo?) loader then a rock concert.They could not believe how load it was for 23,000 fans, WA Griz is load because we are so close to the field. No stupid track. I sit in the south end zone, and when the north end zone goes crazy you can not talk to the person next to you. it is pretty damn cool.

psc2445
September 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Who has the top ten loudest I-AA stadiums in playoff football?

I'd assume last year would be something like
1: Montana
2: Appalacian State
3-10?????

Anyone have any stats like dB levels or just educated guesses from experience?

I will end the discussion right now. I have played in Jordan Haire Stadium(Auburn:79k+) and @ Washington-Grizzly Stadium. It got loud at the end of the Auburn game when they scored the gw td with less than 1 minute to go in Tuberville's debut, but Montana was different. Those fans were right on top of you and i can tell you that is was louder in that "little" stadium than @ Auburn. We at ASU can get loud but we are all battling for second place in I-AA crowd noise. that was a great environment in the 2000 playoffs and the fans were also very nice to us visiting players. I would love to get back up there for a game, and if you havent been there I recommend it.

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 09:01 PM
UNI has the POTENTIAL to be the loudest. But, unfortunately we aren't the #1 show in our state/area much like Delaware, Montana, and to an extent YSU. Its sad but true. People don't consistently show up until Iowa and ISU start their bowl season breaks during the playoffs.

What do you mean to an extent Youngstown?
Almost our entire fan base is Ohio State Fans, many of which watch every OSU game. Secondly you have competition 30 minutes away at Kent State and 45 minutes away at Akron. An hour away is Pittsburgh and we have about 30 D2-D3 teams in that radius as well.

We just love our football here, we have a lot to do in an hours drive and a lotta teams we could cheer for; but we support our Penguins, mainly because Tressel built this program to high expectations and our fans love it. Come here a friday night and see a Harding or Ursuline or Mooney play; then you see how much we love our football!

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I think one advantage that GSU and UM and UNI have is the sound surrounds you from almost EVERY angle unlike at YSU and ASU where the fans are on one side of you screaming.

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
the Dome now is nothing compared to the Dome in the 90s. Hopefully this year will remind Terry Allen how loud the dome was in the 90s.

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I think furman is the only team that knows how loud GSU can be in its post National Championship form of 2001+ Last year was ROCKING when they came to town.

crunifan
September 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I'd say the SIU game last year, and I'm sure the Illinois State game this year will help get things back on track.

KiddBrewer
September 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
i got a feeling......if you wanna hear the loudest playoff eligable I-AA team stadium in the country.....show up at The Rock on September 9th and/or October 28th.....just a hunch

KiddBrewer
September 5th, 2006, 07:52 PM
but dont get me wrong, im only talk about this year.....Montana by far, probably the loudest for the longest time.

mtgrizfan4life
September 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I cannot honestly speak of anywhere Washington/Grizzly. We have been known to hit 108 or more decibals with only 23,000 faithful. Ask anyone that has played or been there, it is as loud as anywhere. I look forward to the day when we add 5,000 more seats. We have the demand to sell that out too consistenty. It is just a matter of when and finances.

EKU05
September 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I'd be shocked if UNI wasn't anything other than one or two. Let's face it, we have something you guys don't...a metal roof. I would assume North Dakota State would get loud too, but the FargoDome is bigger than the UNI-Dome so the noise has more places to go.

I would think Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, Appalachian State, etc. are all really loud too.

Is that a joke? WKU's playoff crowds are usually a small fraction of their modest (avg. under 12K) regular season crowds. EKU wasn't really any better back when we were making the playoffs regularly. The Kentucky teams have never really drawm well for the post-season. Also, at WKU...the stadium is one sided until after the rennovation, so the sound isn't really going to be held in very well.

Now next weeks Battle of the Bluegrass is a different story.

slostang
September 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I cannot honestly speak of anywhere Washington/Grizzly. We have been known to hit 108 or more decibals with only 23,000 faithful. Ask anyone that has played or been there, it is as loud as anywhere. I look forward to the day when we add 5,000 more seats. We have the demand to sell that out too consistenty. It is just a matter of when and finances.
I went there last season and when the place was rocking and it is as loud as stadiums that are two or three times the size of Washington/Grizzly. I have also been there last season when it was really quite.:smiley_wi

Grizo406
September 6th, 2006, 01:47 AM

Whose House?!?!?

Out here, it's OUR HOUSE!!!...come get some!:)

kats89
September 6th, 2006, 08:17 AM

That is the whole point of this thread is that you dont need 40k to be the loudest. I am sure it was a little noisy at Tx State last year, but if you havent experienced Wash/Griz Stadium then you wont understand LOUD!! And Tx State stadium doesnt hold a candle to Wash/Griz Stadium.

I havent been to any venues out east (Ga Southern , App State, etc...), but I have been to Wash/Griz and I dont think I have been to a louder 23,000 seat stadium ever. Noise is deafening.:nod: McNeese can get rowdy with all the crazy cajuns.

McNeese75
September 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I remember speaking to an ex-McNeese coach who was (and is) coaching at NW State the week after they went to Wash/Griz in 2002 for the playoffs. His comment was "It was loud as hell and then when that damn bear rode out on a Harley, the place went crazy and all I could think was - Were gonna get out ass kicked".

He was a prophet and didnt know it :D

This was of course the following week when the Griz came to Lake Charles and lost much to his surprise.

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I don't care how loud we are rated, but after the Hurricane season last year, I'm just glad we have a real night home game this weekend in "The Hole" and the place is back to normal with a loud rocking crowd. Home games in borrowed stadiums and home games during the day because the lights got knocked down suck. You don't realize what you have until you don't have it anymore.

I heard ticket sales are going great for this Saturday night.

Doc

putter
September 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I don't care how loud we are rated, but after the Hurricane season last year, I'm just glad we have a real night home game this weekend in "The Hole" and the place is back to normal with a loud rocking crowd. Home games in borrowed stadiums and home games during the day because the lights got knocked down suck. You don't realize what you have until you don't have it anymore.

Doc

Amen to that!

UNHknowledge
September 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
This thread is a no brainer. MONTANA. The sound bounces off that mountain and makes the stadium deafening.

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Doc

Richard:

How about "you don't realize what you don't have until Musco brings it in"? I loved the 04' quarterfinal game under the lights and I would love to have another night game at Wa/Griz.
Glad to hear things are back to normal up there. Here is to looking forward to meeting up during the playoffs. Go McCowboys!

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
This thread is a no brainer. MONTANA. The sound bounces off that mountain and makes the stadium deafening.

Bounces off the mountain to where, into the sky? You need to get around more. Been to both places and think the UNI Dome is considerably louder, even minus a couple thousand people. EKU, SIU in 2005.

My opinion only.

putter
September 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Bounces off the mountain to where, into the sky? You need to get around more. Been to both places and think the UNI Dome is considerably louder, even minus a couple thousand people. EKU, SIU in 2005.

My opinion only.

You Homer!!! xlolx

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
You Homer!!! xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Puttler,
For the two games I saw at Montana, I was down on the field for some parts of the games. It was strangely quiet down there, even at the crowd's rowdiest. Just didn't feel the noise as everyone says I would. It seems louder in the seats, I'm sure.

putter
September 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I remember you being there (and seeing the pictures of you on the field- with that cop!). Honestly you would think any dome would be louder (as long as the fans have a pulse) because of the sound having no where to go. Washington/Griz is loud on a more constant basis than most other stadiums but I don't think anyone is saying that the UNI Dome, Fargo Dome, etc. are not loud.

turfdoc
September 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Honestly you would think any dome would be louder (as long as the fans have a pulse) because of the sound having no where to go.

I agree fully with this statement. I have been on the sidelines at Beaver Stadium in front of 108,000 and it is loud but nothing really compares to a Domed stadium with 40-50K in it.

That being said UNI with a good crowd is the potentially loudest stadium during playoff time (the original question posed I think). Due to the lack of interest attendance etc.... the other schools are louder week to week but I don't know much.

Now I am not sure how the new roof acts at UNI but the old one (and most domed rooves) focussed the noise to the center of the field (Acoustic Egineers could explain this better). I just remember hearing a certain coach cursing at the camera tripods (he wasn't always the most coordinated guy) in the rafters under his breath and I was 60 yards away running a drill trying to figure out where he was standing yelling at me.

Also Natural grass and sports turf make great sound buffers, much better than the old carpet turf does. But I really doubt that matters in these situations.

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Richard:

How about "you don't realize what you don't have until Musco brings it in"? I loved the 04' quarterfinal game under the lights and I would love to have another night game at Wa/Griz.
Glad to hear things are back to normal up there. Here is to looking forward to meeting up during the playoffs. Go McCowboys!

Hey Elk, was the 94 game up there a night game? I know the 97 game down here was a night game and the place was rocking. Especially after that Donnie Ashley TD near the end.

If we ever play a playoff game again in Montana, I plan on being there. :)

Doc

P.S. I hope the Griz have a great season. How's the ice fishing going? :)

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hey Elk, was the 94 game up there a night game? I know the 97 game down here was a night game and the place was rocking. Especially after that Donnie Ashley TD near the end.

If we ever play a playoff game again in Montana, I plan on being there. :)

Doc

P.S. I hope the Griz have a great season. How's the ice fishing going? :)

The '94 game felt like it was at night but it was just colder than chit. The '97 game was a dandy but you had to spoil it by beating us again in 2002.:bawling:

If you come up to Missoula we'll do some ice fishin'. No getting out of it.:hurray:

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
The '94 game felt like it was at night but it was just colder than chit. The '97 game was a dandy but you had to spoil it by beating us again in 2002.:bawling:

If you come up to Missoula we'll do some ice fishin'. No getting out of it.:hurray:

Deal! But I don't know if I own enough clothes. :)

Does posting on the old Div I-AA messageboard on AOL seem like a long time ago? I remember first getting on it in 1994.

I'm going to have to tell Chris B. that there have been Elk sightings on the AGS messageboard. I don't miss the dial-up days, though. I remember that we nicknamed getting knocked offline during an online chat as getting "Elked" after you kept getting knocked off line during on of the chats in a AOL chatroom.

Doc

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Deal!

Does posting on the old Div I-AA messageboard on AOL seem like a long time ago? I remember first getting on it in 1994.

I'm going to have to tell Chris B. that there have been Elk sightings on the AGS messageboard. I don't miss the dial-up days, though. I remember that we nicknamed getting knocked offline during an online chat as getting "Elked" after you kept getting knocked off line during on of the chats in a AOL chatroom.

Doc

Yea, yea. We had a great time with that old board. Tell Cbuck hi for me. There are still several guys that are regular AGS posters that were in on our AOL board. Scary to think that was 12 years ago. Getting "elked" all the time was no fun. I used to curse AOL but I kept it all these years anyway. Remember what we used to pay for AOL back then? $3.00 per hour. I remember my ex about killed me when we got a $300.00 AOL bill. Oh the good ole days. (I get AOL for free now but it still sucks)xlolx

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I remember you being there (and seeing the pictures of you on the field- with that cop!). Honestly you would think any dome would be louder (as long as the fans have a pulse) because of the sound having no where to go. Washington/Griz is loud on a more constant basis than most other stadiums but I don't think anyone is saying that the UNI Dome, Fargo Dome, etc. are not loud.

I know you're not, putter.

:bow: :bow:

They're all loud.

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Yea, yea. We had a great time with that old board. Tell Cbuck hi for me. There are still several guys that are regular AGS posters that were in on our AOL board. Scary to think that was 12 years ago. Getting "elked" all the time was no fun. I used to curse AOL but I kept it all these years anyway. Remember what we used to pay for AOL back then? $3.00 per hour. I remember my ex about killed me when we got a $300.00 AOL bill. Oh the good ole days. (I get AOL for free now but it still sucks)xlolx

I know AppSt89 was one of them. Do you remember any of the other ones that are here? Any YSU, GSU, and Delaware fans from back then?

Doc
The AOL Div I-AA messageboard King of Sandbagging ;)

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I know AppSt89 was one of them. Do you remember any of the other ones that are here? Any YSU, GSU, and Delaware fans from back then?

Doc
The AOL Div I-AA messageboard King of Sandbagging ;)

Dmason6044, ysuwins, idgrizfan, johnstonge, organhoser, JPea371355, montfisher, are a few that I have seen post on both of these boards, maybe not under all the same names. Also, Chris, and you of course. I still have most of them on my buddy list. Remember the "escribe" board? That is where all the Delaware guys hung out.

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Dmason6044, ysuwins, idgrizfan, johnstonge, organhoser, JPea371355, montfisher, are a few that I have seen post on both of these boards, maybe not under all the same names. Also, Chris, and you of course. I still have most of them on my buddy list. Remember the "escribe" board? That is where all the Delaware guys hung out.

I recognize some of those names. I may start a string asking if any of the guys here were there then and what was their screen name back then.

Doc

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I recognize some of those names. I may start a string asking if any of the guys here were there then and what was their screen name back then.

Doc

I think that would be real interesting. I would bet there would be several that would surprise both of us.

Grizzle G
September 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Here ya go!

This is an article from the last time the Bearkats came to Missoula. If you haven't read it, it can give you goose bumps.

Griz fans showed how it should be done
By Jason Barfield/Assistant Sports Editor

Incredible. Truly incredible. Those are the only words that come to mind when thinking about the crowd at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday.

Everyone has always said Montana has the best crowd in Division I-AA.

Well, I'm willing to go one better -- Montana has the best crowd in all of college football.

Not only were there more than 23,000 people packed into the stadium, but the fans were loud -- real loud. They were also very knowledgeable. When the Grizzlies were on offense, the stadium was silent. Everyone on the sideline could hear the quarterback audible a play.

When the Bearkats were on offense it was totally different. Every single person in the stadium was on their feet making as much noise as possible. It is hard to describe how loud the crowd actually was. Try to imagine standing inside an airplane engine -- it was louder.

Texas A&M fans pride themselves on how loud they are during a game, calling themselves the 12th man. Well if Kyle Field is the home of the 12th man, then Washington-Grizzly Stadium is home of the 13th, 14th and 15th men.

From the moment the official signals the start of the play clock, the noise is deafening. All day long, the SHSU offense was forced to go on a silent count. Three times in the first half, the Bearkats were called for a false start and once, they were given a delay-of-game penalty.

After the game, SHSU quarterback Travis Tobaben said the crowd was giving the offense fits all day.

The game day atmosphere is incredible as well. Beginning on Friday night, fans start arriving at the stadium, and early Saturday morning they are already tailgating.

Some of the parties are private, but many were open to the public. Everyone was very hospitable, and I was able to eat just about anything I wanted. Even if I didn't feel like eating, it didn't matter. They all made sure I tried something. It was like that at nearly every tailgate party.

Another nice thing about the fans is they are all positive. They wished the SHSU players good luck before the game and afterwards were there to tell them good game. Even during the contest, there was never a negative word spoken to the SHSU players.

It was a very refreshing atmosphere after years of making road trips in the Southland Conference. Some of our neighbors to the east could certainly take note of how to behave at a football game.

The trip to Missoula was by far the best trip I have taken in nine years following SHSU football, and I hope it is not the last.

The Montana Grizzlies are the class of the Big Sky Conference and year in and year out contend for the national title. If the Kats are going to win it all, they will probably have to go through Missoula to do it.

Next season Montana will visit Huntsville, and I hope the SHSU fans can show just as much hospitality and courtesy as the 23,000 Griz fans showed us. Hopefully, the Montana offense will also have as much problem with the noise as the Bearkats did.

mcneese
September 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM
It won't even be close! Their stadium is not very large, has a track around it I think and not many sellouts. I'm sure you will be treated very good though!

putter
September 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It won't even be close! Their stadium is not very large, has a track around it I think and not many sellouts. I'm sure you will be treated very good though!

Although their stadium has a track around it, that heat and humidity SHSU brought to the game took it's toll on our northern boys!! :o