PDA

View Full Version : Liberty?

SoccerSmells
September 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Did Liberty really get a Top 20 vote this week after beating lowly, and I do mean lowly, Saint Pauls.

Saint3333
September 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
CCU got 11 votes in the AGS poll after a loss at home to Elon, there seems to be a lot of questions with polls at this point in the season.

Sly Fox
September 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I swear it wasn't me. :D

Seriously, we're not ready for votes in the poll. But we are going to make some noise before this season is over. We are a MUCH better team.

SoccerSmells
September 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Just based on coaching alone, LU will be a much better team. Can't get worse there IMO. I was expecting a 50-0 whoopin of a team like Saint Pauls though. Rain or not, that's a team you should really demolish.

IaaScribe
September 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I think the top 25 votes were premature, but that game Thursday really could have been 50-0 had Liberty left Rashad Jennings in the game for longer or if the weather was at all conducive to even a decent passing game. That said, I can't imagine Rocco would have thrown the ball much with a 27-0 or 34-0 lead in the second half, so the score wasn't going to be that eye-opening.

The stats though showed the level of domination. St. Paul's only had 57 yards of offense, with 30 of them coming against third stringers in the fourth quarter. They never got past their own 35.

SoccerSmells
September 5th, 2006, 09:35 AM
It is Saint Pauls friend. One of the worst DII teams in America. Glenville State will be a better test, but still should be a demolition. Still better than the one win LU had last year I guess.

Sly Fox
September 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Isn't interesting that a new CCU poster appears and spends his first three posts ripping the Flames? Aren't there some concerns in Conway right now that deserve a little more attention?

Nobody in Lynchburg has been running any smack. It will be week four before we begin seriously talking if we keep playing well.

All that said, we did nothing to dampen any enthusiasm in Lynchburg for our program in our opener.

CSU BUCS
September 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Go Flames

IaaScribe
September 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Soccer: St. Paul's defense was ranked No. 15 in Division II last year and just about everyone returned.

SoccerSmells
September 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not ripping the Flames, good for them. I was just surprised to see them pick up votes for the top 25 this week. I'm of the opinion that, with their resources, Liberty should dominate the Big South every year. That's just an opinion.

Please don't justify Saint Pauls as a good DII team. They're awful year in and year out. A win's a win though, so good for the Flames. Don't interpret my post as smack talk, just surprised that someone views that effort as worthy of top 25 consideration.

As for Coastal: not a good year to switch up the "O" in my opinion. No more posts from me dude. People here are too sensitive.

IaaScribe
September 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Soccer: I'm not trying to justify St. Paul's in any way, but please at least know your facts. Year-in and year-out? This is just their second year of varsity football after an 18-year hiatus. They were terrible back before they disbanded football for sure. Now, they have the active leader in HBCU victories as their head coach, so things are looking up a bit.

On the top 25 votes: Agreed. Way, way too early for Liberty to be getting those. Charleston Southern fans should rightfully be miffed.

SuperJon
September 5th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Please don't justify Saint Pauls as a good DII team. They're awful year in and year out.

This shows you have no clue what you're talking about. This is their second year having football and they stacked their team with a ton of JuCo Transfers. They're DII, yes, but they're not horrible.

Glenville St is worse than St. Paul's. They were good last year but lost a bunch. Coach Rocco won't run the score up on anyone. Jennings had 160 yards on 25 carries in the first half alone. There was no passing game. Wynton Jackson racked up over 100 yards in kick returns and he's our #1 receiver. LU will be decent this year. For now, I'm sticking with my 6-7 wins prediction. Next year will be the year they come out and contend, and 2008 will be a year they contend for the playoffs. It's called building a program, and that's what Rocco's doing.