PDA

View Full Version : punt on 3rd and 1??

ncman071
September 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM
i love ASU. i'm an alum and jerry moore is amazing. but i cant seem to understand when we were down 23-10 with over 3 minutes left and its 3rd and 1 and we PUNT! WHY? I am a firm believer that if its mathematically possible to win if we score quick then we should by all means do it. its as if we gave up. i'm not just saying this cause i'm an App fan, but we had a decent shot at winning that ball game.

Lionsrking
September 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
i love ASU. i'm an alum and jerry moore is amazing. but i cant seem to understand when we were down 23-10 with over 3 minutes left and its 3rd and 1 and we PUNT! WHY? I am a firm believer that if its mathematically possible to win if we score quick then we should by all means do it. its as if we gave up. i'm not just saying this cause i'm an App fan, but we had a decent shot at winning that ball game.

I don't know the specifics of the situation but punting on 3rd and one seems pretty bizarre logic to me. Maybe he thought it was 4th and one.

KiddBrewer
September 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
i dont remember it....

asu70
September 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I could be wrong, but I think it was 4th and one with just under 4 minutes left in the game.

ncman071
September 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
woops, sorry:) i messed up in my original post. it was 4th and one and we punted but still why???

Golden Eagle
September 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
To get your nice fat check and get home without injuries.

ncman071
September 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
no thats BS, it was during the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter and we had a shot at doing something special but oh well

AppGuy04
September 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
with 4 minutes left in the game its practically impossible to come back. I agree with Golden Eagle, I think at that point, getting home without injury is more important.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Funny thing, the scoreboard changed to 4th and 1 a second or so before the ball was snapped.

SoCon48
September 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM
no thats BS, it was during the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter and we had a shot at doing something special but oh well
Had we shown any signs of doing anything but letting the State D line run all over both backs as well as the OL?
Heck no!
And remember, too, our guys were becoming dangerously tired by that time.

blukeys
September 5th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Kind of a Big difference between 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Kind of a Big difference between 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.

To say the least, Blukeys.
Although a quick kick on third would have been a good "offensive" strategy had it actually been 3rd and 1 in that we would have stood a good chance of catching the wolfpack off guard and deeper in their own territory for a change.
State had GREAT field position for like 80% of the night. Or at least it seemed.
We had zilch in the way of momentum and a very tired defensive squad on the field.

gophoenix
September 5th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Maybe the offense wasn't going well and he thought punting when a good returner wasn't on the field would be a good chance to try and force a turnover in NC State territory?