PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network poll

cosmo here
September 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm

1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (43)
2. New Hampshire Wildcats (31)
3. Northern Iowa Panthers (13)
4. Furman Paladins (3)
5. Cal Poly Mustangs (4)
6. Montana Grizzlies (2)
7. Illinois State Redbirds
8. Youngstown State Penguins (1)
9. Massachusetts Minutemen
10. Richmond Spiders (2)
11. Montana State Bobcats (7)
12. James Madison Dukes
13. Georgia Southern Eagles
14. Hampton Pirates
15. Delaware Blue Hens
16. McNeese State Cowboys
17. Southern Illinois Salukis
18. North Dakota State Bison
19. UC Davis Aggies
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers
21. Portland State Vikings (1)
22. Texas State Bobcats
23. Eastern Kentucky Colonels
24. Nicholls State Colonels
25. Lafayette Leopards

Others receiving votes: Grambling State 159, Wofford 115, Hofstra 59, Brown 58, Western Kentucky 58, Eastern Washington 49, Alabama A&M 47, William & Mary 47, Southern 46, Idaho State 44, South Carolina State 40, Chattanooga 39, Jacksonville State 38, Northern Arizona 30, Harvard 30, Elon 28, Southeastern Louisiana 23, Colgate 20, Western Illinois 19, Coastal Carolina 16, Western Carolina 14, Northwestern State 13, Delaware State 11, Towson 9, Penn 9, Weber State 8, Jackson State 8, Liberty 7, Maine 5.

umassfan
September 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Im still puzzled on how Illinois St jumped 2 spots with a loss.

cosmo here
September 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Im still puzzled on how Illinois St jumped 2 spots with a loss.

I guess your disclaimer covers that though.

here's the research . . Illinois State went for two with three minutes left, they were stopped and lost 24-23 at Kansas State. if they had won, they would have jumped 5 or 6 spots. so two seems about right.

birdsflyhigh
September 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Happy to see the ISU Redbirds move a couple spots up after their showing at Kansas St. Other than special teams play, the Birds pretty much had their way with the BCS team in front of 47,000 screaming KSU fans during the re-dedication of their stadium.

Others may question the Birds upward move in the polls, but believe me this team is the real-deal!! :rotateh:

umassfan
September 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I guess your disclaimer covers that though.

here's the research . . Illinois State went for two with three minutes left, they were stopped and lost 24-23 at Kansas State. if they had won, they would have jumped 5 or 6 spots. so two seems about right.

I could care less if they lost by .000001 pts to a I-A... it still counts as a loss. Usually the rule is after a loss you move down or stay put. They dont move up.

carney2
September 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
This is something that a knowledgeable fan should know. Shows where I am, I guess, but

Who are the voters in this poll?

birdsflyhigh
September 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Good to see 4 Gateway teams in the top 17, the WKU Hilltoppers bubbling just outside the top 25, and WIU picking up a good amount of votes. The Gateway is going to rock this year! :nod:

cosmo here
September 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I could care less if they lost by .000001 pts to a I-A... it still counts as a loss. Usually the rule is after a loss you move down or stay put. They dont move up.

I guess not when you have a more than impressive showing against a Big 12 team in their stadium.

umassfan
September 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I guess not when you have a more than impressive showing against a Big 12 team in their stadium.
I think that game says more about K State then about I St

bluehenbillk
September 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Thank God there is a playoff, did these voters even watch football this weekend?

cosmo here
September 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I give up. xcoffeex

JALMOND
September 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I appreciate the fact that Portland State is in the Top25, but who gave them a first place vote? With Montana State's win at Colorado, it would be difficult to say we are #1 in the Big Sky.

colgate13
September 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I give up. xcoffeex

You'll learn it's usually not worth trying. Didn't you know not to question an expert like that? xcoffeex

umassfan
September 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
You'll learn it's usually not worth trying. Didn't you know not to question an expert like that? xcoffeex

Well lets see... new coach, check. first game, check. Not sure if they run a new offense or not. At the end of the day it still is a loss.

cosmo here
September 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM

13, congratulations on hitting the 7,777 post mark. hopefully that's good luck for a Triskaidekaphobia-(ite?) like yourself.

didn't you just hit 7,000 a couple weeks ago? xlolx

ISUMatt
September 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I think your wrong...anytime a I-AA can take a I-A to the brink, its a big deal, they get a ton more scholis are are expected in the medias eyes to win so its big when we hang

Ronbo
September 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I think your wrong...anytime a I-AA can take a I-A to the brink, its a big deal, they get a ton more scholis are are expected in the medias eyes to win so its big when we hang

Kick the extra point and you win. ISU was moving the ball at will. Overtime was yours.

rcny46
September 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I give up. xcoffeex

I don't blame you.

mainejeff
September 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Good to see 4 Gateway teams in the top 17, the WKU Hilltoppers bubbling just outside the top 25, and WIU picking up a good amount of votes. The Gateway is going to rock this year! :nod:

And 5 A-10 teams in the Top 15 :nod:.

ASU Kep
September 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM
SOCON = only conference with 2 in the top 4. :)

And personally, Chatty would be in my top 25.

poly51
September 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Great West-60% of the conference is the top 20.

cosmo here
September 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Patriot League = 14% of the conference is No. 25 :)

JohnStOnge
September 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM

It's a stupid "rule." ISU's performance at Kansas State was probably the second most impressive performance of the weekend by a I-AA (with Montana State's being first). It was a more impressive performance than than those of any of the teams ranked ahead of them.

I'm glad that I-AA pollsters took level of competition into account in that way. Course it doesn't matter. It'd be more important to have the playoff committee engage in a similarly rational thought process instead of having some kind of magic significance assigned to a certain number of wins and/or losses. If Illinois State finishes 7-4 and gets left out of the playoffs because "a loss is a loss," that's going to be a disgrace.

seantaylor
September 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Not sure how Furman is gettin 3 first place votes.

umassfan
September 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
It's a stupid "rule." ISU's performance at Kansas State was probably the second most impressive performance of the weekend by a I-AA (with Montana State's being first). It was a more impressive performance than than those of any of the teams ranked ahead of them.

I'm glad that I-AA pollsters took level of competition into account in that way. Course it doesn't matter. It'd be more important to have the playoff committee engage in a similarly rational thought process instead of having some kind of magic significance assigned to a certain number of wins and/or losses. If Illinois State finishes 7-4 and gets left out of the playoffs because "a loss is a loss," that's going to be a disgrace.
Now someone sees my point... if they finish 7-4, i dont care what anyone says they will not make the playoffs and its because of their 1 pt loss. A loss is a loss and all I know is they have a 1 in the right side of their record not the left like they want. :twocents:

FlyYtown
September 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Like I said. Gateway will rule this year.
UNI-Illinois State-YSU all in Top 10!!!
Watch for SIU to make a climb for it in the next few weeks.

GO GATEWAY. GO PENGUINS---#1!

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Kick the extra point and you win. ISU was moving the ball at will. Overtime was yours.

RONNIE...YA'LL ARE UH SAGE.............WHAT WAS DENVER...THINKIN'.....PLANE TA CATCH?.........WIFEY HAD LASAGNA....IN DUH OVEN?.......HIS FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE.......WAS HOLDIN'....DUH DRAFT?...........HIS SECRETARY'S..HUSBAND.........WAS IN PEORIA?........GO FO' ONE......TAKE IT TA EXTRA DUTY.......WHY WORRY 'BOUT........PLAYIN' LONGER......WHEN DUH REDBIRDS.......ARE ENTERTAININ'....CENTRAL ARKANSAS........IN NORMAL.......NEXT SATURDAY?..........................AN' APPY FANS...ARE UPSET......AT PUNTIN' ON....4th AN' UNO?.........:twocents:......BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
RONNIE...YA'LL ARE UH SAGE.............WHAT WAS DENVER...THINKIN'.....PLANE TA CATCH?.........WIFEY HAD LASAGNA....IN DUH OVEN?.......HIS FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE.......WAS HOLDIN'....DUH DRAFT?...........HIS SECRETARY'S..HUSBAND.........WAS IN PEORIA?........GO FO' ONE......TAKE IT TA EXTRA DUTY.......WHY WORRY 'BOUT........PLAYIN' LONGER......WHEN DUH REDBIRDS.......ARE ENTERTAININ'....CENTRAL ARKANSAS........IN NORMAL.......NEXT SATURDAY?..........................AN' APPY FANS...ARE UPSET......AT PUNTIN' ON....4th AN' UNO?.........:twocents:......BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

Mr. Chicken's logic, as usual, is hard to argue with.

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM
BUK!...BUK!...BUK!...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
BUK!...BUK!...BUK!...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

igo4uni
September 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Did I mention that I am a big Mr. Chicken fan???

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :) :) :) :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: