PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Launches Digital Network

DFW HOYA
April 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM
http://ivyleaguesports.com/information/gen-releases/2012-13/releases/The_Ivy_League-NeuLion_Announce_Launch_of_the_Conferences_First-Ever_Digital_Network

Go Green
April 26th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Good news. But I hope it doesn't impact any deals with NBC Sports Network, or any other cable providers. Television broadcasts are still 1,000 better than any webcasts.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 26th, 2013, 11:56 PM
This is the way it's going to be in fairly short order for all conferences at all levels that could use it to show the games not on TV which is probably won't mess with TV deals. The BSC has had this for a long time and the only games not shown on Big Sky TV are the ones that Root Sports has the contract for. It works out damn well. I imagine the Ivies will do very well with this service even if they just have a couple of Freshmen run it. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
April 27th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Good news. But I hope it doesn't impact any deals with NBC Sports Network, or any other cable providers. Television broadcasts are still 1,000 better than any webcasts.

It shouldn't impact the NBC Sports games. Just a contractual carve-out.

Keep in mind that webcasts can be done in HD and can approach "television" quality, depending on the bandwidth allocated. Just look at Netflix, etc.

Ivytalk
May 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM

Question for you, GG: will the number of digital "viewers" of Ivy football eclipse the (declining) number of actual butts in the seats this fall?xcoolx

Go Green
May 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM
Question for you, GG: will the number of digital "viewers" of Ivy football eclipse the (declining) number of actual butts in the seats this fall?xcoolx

Probably not, but who knows? My gut is that most webcasts of Ivy games probably get a few hundred viewers. Still great for fans/alums/friends/familes that live outside the northeast and want to follow the games. And with internet media only increasing in the future...

NBC Sports is another story--I think that DFW (or somebody) posted some numbers here a few months ago and the numbers reached six figures.

Bisonator
May 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM
This is the way it's going to be in fairly short order for all conferences at all levels that could use it to show the games not on TV which is probably won't mess with TV deals. The BSC has had this for a long time and the only games not shown on Big Sky TV are the ones that Root Sports has the contract for. It works out damn well. I imagine the Ivies will do very well with this service even if they just have a couple of Freshmen run it. xlolx

Do the schools make the broadcasts or the conference or local affiliates?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2013, 11:19 AM
Do the schools make the broadcasts or the conference or local affiliates?

The NBC Sports Network is a 100% professional setup, with in-studio analysts and everything. The other broadcasts from Neulion were definitely self-produced (not that there's anything wrong with that), but the NBCSN stuff for the Ivy League was unusual that it was truly a national broadcast produced nationally.

Ivytalk
May 1st, 2013, 07:07 PM
That's the Ivy future. Actual attendance of 1000, virtual attendance of 10,000. Why am I not pleased?

Go Green
May 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
That's the Ivy future. Actual attendance of 1000, virtual attendance of 10,000. Why am I not pleased?

Dartmouth's attendance has been trending upward in recent years. We've 1) gotten more competitive and 2) started playing night games. Expect that to continue.

Traditionally, Ivy attendance was driven by four teams-- Yale, Harvard, Penn and Princeton. Harvard and Penn have both gotten bored with winning every year. But more importantly, Yale and Princeton have been lousy or (at best) medicore in recent years. If the latter changes, don't be surprised if attendance gets boosted.

Best I can tell, only one Ivy team has drawn less than 2,000 at home for a league game -- Cornell.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Dartmouth's attendance has been trending upward in recent years. We've 1) gotten more competitive and 2) started playing night games. Expect that to continue.

Traditionally, Ivy attendance was driven by four teams-- Yale, Harvard, Penn and Princeton. Harvard and Penn have both gotten bored with winning every year. But more importantly, Yale and Princeton have been lousy or (at best) medicore in recent years. If the latter changes, don't be surprised if attendance gets boosted.

Best I can tell, only one Ivy team has drawn less than 2,000 at home for a league game -- Cornell.

And yet Princeton fans won't get on a bus to travel to Lehigh...

Go Green
May 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
And yet Princeton fans won't get on a bus to travel to Lehigh...

But they will to Yale... at least when they're good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-QCqcutOU0

walliver
May 2nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
It shouldn't impact the NBC Sports games. Just a contractual carve-out.

Keep in mind that webcasts can be done in HD and can approach "television" quality, depending on the bandwidth allocated. Just look at Netflix, etc.

Netflix is viewable on regular and HD TV's using a Roku box, AppleTV, many blu-ray players etc. These devices are in millions of homes. For streaming video to ever be successful, the streams need to be viewable on people's television. It is possible to view current streams on a TV but awkward.

Until this problem is addressed, streaming video will not be a big success. I also wonder if ESPN and its competitors are working against that.