PDA

View Full Version : Bison Defense Update.

IBleedYellow
April 20th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Well, this isn't so much of an update, but I want to talk football. So here ya go, take it and run boys!

At Least it's Something! (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/04/20/defense-continues-to-shine/)

Just saying, either this makes me really nervous about our offense, or something happened to our defense. If it's the later, oh boy are we in for a treat!

Also: Name to watch this year: Carlton Littlejohn, this guy is a stud tackler and just plays LB so very smart. His sense of the play and field is crazy. He was really fun to watch last year, and I also have a few classes with him.

Can it be football season yet?!

BisonFan02
April 21st, 2013, 01:51 AM
Expect an over/under of 10 at the spring game considering last year's was a 3-0 slugfest....not worried.

Twentysix
April 21st, 2013, 02:42 AM
Expect an over/under of 10 at the spring game considering last year's was a 3-0 slugfest....not worried.

Over, but because of a pick six or fumble recovery. I doubt the offenses will be able to break 10, combined.

frozennorth
April 21st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Well, this isn't so much of an update, but I want to talk football. So here ya go, take it and run boys!

At Least it's Something! (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/04/20/defense-continues-to-shine/)

Just saying, either this makes me really nervous about our offense, or something happened to our defense. If it's the later, oh boy are we in for a treat!

Also: Name to watch this year: Carlton Littlejohn, this guy is a stud tackler and just plays LB so very smart. His sense of the play and field is crazy. He was really fun to watch last year, and I also have a few classes with him.

Can it be football season yet?!

the offense should be better this year than last, with more talent and depth on the line and at receiver. If the relevant injured players come back healthy and a new corner is found (guessing there will be a good one) i think next year should be very anticlimactic.

IBleedYellow
April 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM
the offense should be better this year than last, with more talent and depth on the line and at receiver. If the relevant injured players come back healthy and a new corner is found (guessing there will be a good one) i think next year should be very anticlimactic.

We've got a great corner to go opposite of Marcus this year. CJ Smith looks to be doing well.

uofmman1122
April 22nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Well, your offense wasn't anything special last year, and they're going up against arguably the best defense in FCS.

Makes sense to me.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Well, your offense wasn't anything special last year, and they're going up against arguably the best defense in FCS.

Makes sense to me.

Only 26ppg in the playoffs and 39 pts in the Championship game.

Yeah, nothing special.

344Johnson
April 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Only 26ppg in the playoffs and 39 pts in the Championship game.

Yeah, nothing special.

Great field position given to them regularly. Our offense is not anything special. Really wish some folks would see that, accept that, realize the defense carries the load, and then carry on.

Bisonator
April 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
We've got a great corner to go opposite of Marcus this year. CJ Smith looks to be doing well.

Colvin looked pretty good Saturday! The competition at that position has really impressed me.

Our defense is something special, but our offense is pretty dang good too. Maybe not as flashy or highlight reel as others, they pound the rock and beat other teams into submission more times than not. Great compliment to our defense and special teams. We wouldn't be back to back champions without all phases including our coaching staff!

uofmman1122
April 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Great field position given to them regularly. Our offense is not anything special. Really wish some folks would see that, accept that, realize the defense carries the load, and then carry on.This.

There's nothing wrong with having a mediocre offense when you've won as much as you have the last three years.

They do just enough to win, and it's working. You have a serviceable offense and the best defense in FCS.

It's beyond homerish to imply your offense is anything more than a tool to capitalize on your lights-out defense.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Great field position given to them regularly. Our offense is not anything special. Really wish some folks would see that, accept that, realize the defense carries the load, and then carry on.

So the defense won the semifinal on 4th and 3?

IBleedYellow
April 22nd, 2013, 02:47 PM

Our offense is not flashy, but it is Bison ground and pound.

You can't tell me that the results of our offense you wouldn't want. It takes an entire team effort to win football games. Offense, Defense and special teams. Our defense has been amazing, but our special teams is right behind the defense for numbers.

TEAM sports require the TEAM to play well together. We have leaders in our team, and it's great.

Bisonator
April 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
One of the things that makes NDSU great, they epitomize what a team is all about. Great defense, good offense, good special teams, great coaching staff, tremendous leadership. No egos, no selfishness, no "stars" so to speak that seek more fame then their teammates. Trust in each other to do their jobs not worrying about doing someone elses. The strength of the bison is the herd! GO BISON!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
April 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Don't get me wrong. I agree with the team concept but it's silly to believe that the offense didn't do it's job this year. Especially from a Griz fan who's team just got matched in championships by a team that has only been doing this for 10 years.

Herder
April 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM

Makes sense to me.

Our offense competes against the Valley each week, not the B1F (Fluffy version of the B1G) like you guys do. I think it requires a little calibration.

TheRevSFA
April 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
NDSU is the epitome of "offense wins games, defense wins championships"

IBleedYellow
April 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
NDSU in 2010-??? is the epitome of "offense wins games, defense wins championships"

FIFY

uofmman1122
April 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Don't get me wrong. I agree with the team concept but it's silly to believe that the offense didn't do it's job this year. Especially from a Griz fan who's team just got matched in championships by a team that has only been doing this for 10 years.Wow. You got me there. xlolxxrolleyesx

I mean, we only stole your #1 RB and DB recruits, so we still must be doing something right. xpeacex

I'm not knocking your team one bit. I'd love to have the success you've had for the past two years, especially given what we went through last year (Hey, but at least we didn't go 3-8 ;)). It's great. Undisputed champs.

But seriously, lay off whatever it is that you're smoking. Your offense is good because it works well with the system you have. It did do it's job, which was to be serviceable and grind out the clock.

What I meant in my first comments is don't worry about not scoring in the spring game. You won't see a defense that good in FCS play, and your offense will do its job just like it has for the last two years, which is score just enough points to win and capitalize on the opponents' mistakes. xthumbsupx

And Big Sky smack? xrolleyesx

You do remember that you lost to the last Big Sky team you played, right? xlolx

IBleedYellow
April 22nd, 2013, 10:53 PM
And Big Sky smack? xrolleyesx

You do remember that you lost to the last Big Sky team you played, right? xlolx

Pretty sure all of our Big Sky smack is 100% directed at the Bobcats. At least mine is. So I'd be we agree on that. ;)

tourguide
April 23rd, 2013, 03:08 AM
I mean, we only stole your #1 RB and DB recruits, so we still must be doing something right. xpeacex

Favors was not NDSU's top RB target. Morlock was clearly ahead of him, plus Favors was only an afterthought once Smith and Benoit went BCS. Not to mention getting a 2nd RB was not a top priority for the 2013 class.
As for McKinley he was in the third tier behind Rucker, Willie Smith and Aaron Banks. And luckily McKinley signed with you giving NDSU room to grab a better corner from a more battle tested high school in Lakeland's Tre Dempsey.

You wont "beat" NDSU in a recruiting battle in 2014, just deal with it

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Favors was not NDSU's top RB target. Morlock was clearly ahead of him, plus Favors was only an afterthought once Smith and Benoit went BCS. Not to mention getting a 2nd RB was not a top priority for the 2013 class.
As for McKinley he was in the third tier behind Rucker, Willie Smith and Aaron Banks. And luckily McKinley signed with you giving NDSU room to grab a better corner from a more battle tested high school in Lakeland's Tre Dempsey.

for more information go to www.bisonation.info :D

uofmman1122
April 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM

Sure was a lot of crying on Bisonville for a #2 RB and a "third-tier" CB. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM

I used to be jealous of Montana until about 2002

uofmman1122
April 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
I used to be jealous of Montana until about 2002Noted. xpeacex

344Johnson
April 23rd, 2013, 04:32 PM

Cool. Brock Jensen scored on 4th and 3. I was pumped. Everyone was pumped. It was a cool deal.

Offense did what was asked of it, to score a couple more points than the other team. The defense is what makes NDSU special, not the offense. Once again, you can puff your chest about how great the Bison O is(it isn't), or just accept that NDSU is a defensively driven team with an offense that can does enough.

I enjoy the grinding type of game the offense plays just as much as the next guy, but the offense is nothing special. If our offense was so damn good, NDSU would absolutely obliterate everyone on account of how good the defense is.

You mind mentioning how many of the close games this year were due to the defense not playing well, and how many of them were because the offense not playing well?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Cool. Brock Jensen scored on 4th and 3. I was pumped. Everyone was pumped. It was a cool deal.

Offense did what was asked of it, to score a couple more points than the other team. The defense is what makes NDSU special, not the offense. Once again, you can puff your chest about how great the Bison O is(it isn't), or just accept that NDSU is a defensively driven team with an offense that can does enough.

I enjoy the grinding type of game the offense plays just as much as the next guy, but the offense is nothing special. If our offense was so damn good, NDSU would absolutely obliterate everyone on account of how good the defense is.

You mind mentioning how many of the close games this year were due to the defense not playing well, and how many of them were because the offense not playing well?

I only know that our offense put 33 ppg over the course of the season and 330 ypg. Those are pretty good numbers.

344Johnson
April 23rd, 2013, 05:02 PM
I only know that our offense put 33 ppg over the course of the season and 330 ypg. Those are pretty good numbers.

52 against Bob morris, 66 against Prairie View, and 54 against USD. Three awful awful awful awful teams inflated NDSU's numbers.

IBleedYellow
April 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
52 against Bob morris, 66 against Prairie View, and 54 against USD. Three awful awful awful awful teams inflated NDSU's numbers.

334, we get it, you don't suck our teams dicks. But damn dude, they were the champs. We didn't have stellar numbers, but to say our offense was bad is flipping stupid. The offense did exactly what they needed to do, score more points than the other team. No more, no less.

Nexus 4

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2013, 05:31 PM
334, we get it, you don't suck our teams dicks. But damn dude, they were the champs. We didn't have stellar numbers, but to say our offense was bad is flipping stupid. The offense did exactly what they needed to do, score more points than the other team. No more, no less.

Nexus 4

They did more than that. 26 ppg is a pretty good scoring average against PLAYOFF teams.

I guess Sam Houston was a cupcake who inflated the numbers as well, eh?

344Johnson
April 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM

Nexus 4

I already stated that our offense did what they needed to do. Also don't recall saying they were bad. They weren't bad.

They did more than that. 26 ppg is a pretty good scoring average against PLAYOFF teams.

I guess Sam Houston was a cupcake who inflated the numbers as well, eh?

That was an exceptional game offensively and defensively. I don't think anyone could complain about that performance on either side of the ball.

frozennorth
April 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
ndsu's O is well above average, but not elite. can we move on?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
ndsu's O is well above average, but not elite. can we move on?

agreed.

marenlee
April 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
So anyways to get back on track... It has been way too long since we have since a Heagle hit!

tourguide
April 23rd, 2013, 08:45 PM

This might be hard for you to understand but I will try to explain it in simple terms. How posters on a message board feel about certain recruits in no way translates into how the coaching staff feels about the player or how they rank them. You can quote bisonville all you want, it doesnt make your initial inaccurate statement true

IMO If the coaches had them as a top priority, there is no parallel universe in the world where Montana would have won the recruiting battle. The kids were scared of competing for a playing time and chose to play for a team with little competition so they could play earlier. That is just simple math and logic

The only FCS recruiting battle NDSU truly lost in 2013 was RB Martin Ruiz to YSU who I initially forgot to mention. Which also adds to the point that Favors was not a top target. When it became apparent Ruiz was going the FCS route, AJ Cooper was focused on him and not Favors

344Johnson
April 23rd, 2013, 09:16 PM
IMO If the coaches had them as a top priority, there is no parallel universe in the world where Montana would have won the recruiting battle. The kids were scared of competing for a playing time and chose to play for a team with little competition so they could play earlier. That is just simple math and logic

You are saying that NDSU essentially can't lose recruiting battles to a fellow FCS powerhouse? Montana has a great football tradition, and has a great venue to play in, and a large fanbase. Maybe he wanted to get on the field sooner, or maybe, just maybe, he liked the idea of being a Griz better than being a Bison. NDSU can't and won't get every single recruit that other FCS schools also want.

IBleedYellow
April 23rd, 2013, 11:03 PM
This might be hard for you to understand but I will try to explain it in simple terms. How posters on a message board feel about certain recruits in no way translates into how the coaching staff feels about the player or how they rank them. You can quote bisonville all you want, it doesnt make your initial inaccurate statement true

The only FCS recruiting battle NDSU truly lost in 2013 was RB Martin Ruiz to YSU who I initially forgot to mention. Which also adds to the point that Favors was not a top target. When it became apparent Ruiz was going the FCS route, AJ Cooper was focused on him and not Favors

Okay man, I'm a pretty big Bison fan, and I probably have some damn green tinted lenses some times, but even I realize that NDSU isn't going to get every kid that we want just because we are NDSU. We are NOT Alabama. It'd be awesome that we could get every kid that we pursue, but that's not going to happen. People have options, some people just don't want to live in the cold, others would rather live in Big Sky country, etc. Plus I'm pretty sure that Alabama doesn't get every kid that they want just because they are Alabama.

tourguide
April 23rd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Okay man, I'm a pretty big Bison fan, and I probably have some damn green tinted lenses some times, but even I realize that NDSU isn't going to get every kid that we want just because we are NDSU. We are NOT Alabama. It'd be awesome that we could get every kid that we pursue, but that's not going to happen. People have options, some people just don't want to live in the cold, others would rather live in Big Sky country, etc. Plus I'm pretty sure that Alabama doesn't get every kid that they want just because they are Alabama.

Not even close to what I said, but thanks for playing.

You are saying that NDSU essentially can't lose recruiting battles to a fellow FCS powerhouse? Montana has a great football tradition, and has a great venue to play in, and a large fanbase. Maybe he wanted to get on the field sooner, or maybe, just maybe, he liked the idea of being a Griz better than being a Bison. NDSU can't and won't get every single recruit that other FCS schools also want.

99.9% of 17 year old kids in 2012 know nothing about Montana tradition. Kids live in the now and NDSU was back 2 back champs while Montana was dealing with all kinds of drama. So yes I believe (just as I am positive the coaches believe) if they had a kid as a top priority (like is being claimed) the coaches would have got the LOI.

you are welcome to the woe is me attitude that they cant win them all. I'll chose the coaches philosophy that they can

uofmman1122
April 24th, 2013, 01:44 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

"We didn't want him anyways"

Too classic!

Nice to see there are still some cool Bison fans. Despite some of your nutballs, I still like you guys. xthumbsupx

tourguide
April 24th, 2013, 04:00 AM
the point was you calling them the top RB and DB prospects. my remarks are directed at them not being ndsu's top prospects at each position

Bisonator
April 24th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Following is information on tailgating and other events for this weekend’s Spring Football Game (please note times to get into tailgate lots)

8:30am – Those with reserved tailgate spots can enter the reserved parking lot

A (free) pass to get into the lot at this time can be picked up at the Bison Sports Arena Administrative Office – no pass, wait until 9am

These spots will be held until 9am and then are open for first come, first serve

9:00am – General tailgate lots open

9:00am – Locker Room Sale starts in the Fargo Dome lobby

10-11:30am – Football players will be signing autographs

1:00pm – National Championship ring presentation

50/50 Raffle tickets will be sold up until game time

Helena Johnston
Athletic Program Assistant
NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY

AmsterBison
April 24th, 2013, 01:09 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

"We didn't want him anyways"

Strange. I wonder why we offered him then. :)

Personally, I do think that NDSU has been having a hard time signing RBs which is strange on team that is so RB-friendly. That said, our beat writers thought that the RB NDSU did get was our #1 overall target, but we really needed another one.

From what I've heard, the defense is sure making our offense look helpless out there so far this spring. Can't fit a piece of paper between our WRs and DBs on the highlights.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Strange. I wonder why we offered him then. :)

Personally, I do think that NDSU has been having a hard time signing RBs which is strange on team that is so RB-friendly. That said, our beat writers thought that the RB NDSU did get was our #1 overall target, but we really needed another one.

From what I've heard, the defense is sure making our offense look helpless out there so far this spring. Can't fit a piece of paper between our WRs and DBs on the highlights.

IMO, this defense in '13 could even be better compared to last year. If the injury bug does not happen this year, I believe this team can run the table. K State will be very tough but the Bison will be loaded in '13.

Sh**, I wish the season was here!!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
April 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM
IMO, this defense in '13 could even be better compared to last year. If the injury bug does not happen this year, I believe this team can run the table. K State will be very tough but the Bison will be loaded in '13.

I gotta have a new baby and move before that game, I need that time to go as slowly as possible.

IBleedYellow
April 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Something like 129 days I believe (the counter is on my phone home screen, which I can't have at work)!

LETS GO BISON! :D

344Johnson
April 24th, 2013, 02:50 PM
99.9% of 17 year old kids in 2012 know nothing about Montana tradition. Kids live in the now and NDSU was back 2 back champs while Montana was dealing with all kinds of drama. So yes I believe (just as I am positive the coaches believe) if they had a kid as a top priority (like is being claimed) the coaches would have got the LOI.

you are welcome to the woe is me attitude that they cant win them all. I'll chose the coaches philosophy that they can

Sometimes teams don't get all the good players they want. It's ok. It wouldn't be any fun if they did.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I gotta have a new baby and move before that game, I need that time to go as slowly as possible.

Where in KS are you moving to?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 24th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Where in KS are you moving to?

Moving to Lawrence. Rock Chalk!

MplsBison
April 26th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Nothing new here, NDSU's team is beat and battered to heck: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/397726/group/Sports/

That'll happen when you play 30 games in two years. Also why I'm fine with a 10 game schedule, even though that won't happen.

I know a lot of people have this idea that any given player will play his best football his senior year, but I don't happen to subscribe to that theory. There are a lot of things going on in these guys' lives when they're seniors like thinking about getting married, starting a family, finding a job, finishing the degree, etc. Then you throw on top of that just how much football these guys have played -- every game takes a little bit of life out of you.

Not saying they won't play well and not saying they won't win a third consecutive national championship. Just saying...