PDA

View Full Version : APP Spring Game

asujch
April 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I was not super impressed with the play today at KBS. WR's look good except for a few drops, routes are coming along nicely. The starting RB job looks like its wide open. #2 Paul Magliore is a beast, and Holloway looks to be improving. The QB position obviously was not very strong since there were just backups playing, but I liked how Hallock threw. He seems to be the best passer among our backups.

Defensively we looked sharp, but I imagine that this was skewed a bit from the lack of playing time that both of the O-lines have had together. Deuce Robinson is going to be really good for us this year, his pass rush as well as his his run defense look really good here in the spring. Our DB's looked sharp as well with Middleton and Barnes stealing the show for me. Linebackers need a bit of work, but that is to be expected considering most of them have either just moved to the position or are RS freshman.

I don't even want to comment on special teams. Atrocious. We are really going to miss Sam Martin in the coming years.

Overall it was a good look at the team. They have plenty to work on, but I have confidence in the coaching staff as well as the players. I can't wait for the trip to Missoula!!

GlassOnion
April 22nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
This scrimmage didnt show much on the surface. I hate the split team format they used. When you get down into it, the OL being split into 2 competing OLines really dominated the day. The #3 and #4 QBs, had no time to throw, and were running for their lives all day long against 6 or 7 D linemen that could start for us, no problem. We've got 6 or 7 starting type OL right now, and a bunch of guys who arent up to college speed yet. When we get to see the 1st string OL together in the Fall, I expect they'll be exponentially better, though we better hope for no injuries. I think the RBs will surprise, Magloire looks like Cadet, but with more North South movement, something it took Cadet a while to get down. Fergerson hits holes almost like Miller, but gets the yardage like Richardson. I liked both.

The DL is a huge strength. The DBs will be also. I expect a big year for INTs, with Blair, Deuce, Hall, Singleton, Bronson and Burns the QBs' faces all year. The 4 DBs, the entire 2 deep of the DL and 2 or 3 LBs were swarming like crazy. When the 30 or so new guys report, if we can find 2 more solid LBs, Nate Woody is going to have an absolute field day. The difference in D between last year and this spring, is night and day. Been VERY impressed with Woody thus far. Well worth the investment IMO.

Special teams, meh. Ive seen much worse, (looking at you Ga Southern.) Good thing is that with Satterfield's hands now untied, I dont think we'll see many punts or field goals.

Apphole
April 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
I don't even want to comment on special teams. Atrocious. We are really going to miss Sam Martin in the coming years.

You are certainly right when it comes to punting. GOOD GOD!

Place kicking on the other hand was one of the most impressive things of the day. Zach (auto) Matics was on-point. He kicked one (I think it was a 42 yarder) that would have been good from 60.

HappyHippie
April 22nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
no one cares dude.

appsfan
April 22nd, 2013, 09:51 PM
Wrong, I care.

whoanellie
April 22nd, 2013, 10:47 PM
why must you post in this forum? you are not eligible. you have your own incestual format where you can post sports comments and also get hook-ups with your cousins!

asumike83
April 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
why must you post in this forum? you are not eligible. you have your own incestual format where you can post sports comments and also get hook-ups with your cousins!

Somebody's off their meds again!

Elon has about the same chances of winning the SoCon or going to the playoffs as App but you're still here. Pipe down Nellie.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Spring games are a weak predictor of how players will be and a useless predictor of how good your team will be.

Apphole
April 23rd, 2013, 01:01 PM

Skjellyfetti
April 23rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
why must you post in this forum? you are not eligible.

So? We're still apart of the subdivision. Ivy League, MEAC, etc. aren't eligible either... and they post. xnodx

fc97
April 24th, 2013, 07:07 AM
first and foremost, give it a rest people. thye'll be here. its stupid, but here they are. it is strange that many of them complained about uncc and georgia state for similar things.

on to facts.
they meac is eligible. you meant swac.
correction for asumike, elon has a chance to win and app has no chance to win.
actually technically you aren't part of the subdivision, the classification is in limbo between the two subdivisions

there's lots of sour grapes on both sides, give it a rest.

ASUMountaineer
April 24th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Actually, I am eligible to post in this forum as a member of AGS. Deal with it.

asumike83
April 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM
App is a SoCon member until July, 2014. Not stupid at all for App fans to post here. Makes perfect sense to post on the same forum as the teams we'll actually be playing this season.

I'm as excited about the season opener at Montana as any game we've played in a long while. Are we allowed to communicate with the Griz fans here about that or is it just SoCon teams we are banned from speaking to?

The title of the thread was 'App Spring Game', not exactly misleading. Don't want to read about it, don't click on it.

Apphole
April 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Actually, I am eligible to post in this forum as a member of AGS. Deal with it.

Yeah. Looks like my user name and password still work for Anygivensaturday.com.

If you don't want to read what App fans think, don't click on a thread called "APP Spring Game."

Bunch of little bitches.

walliver
April 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I have always found Spring Games very difficult to interpret. Individual performances may stand out, but team performance is problematic.
Does a low scoring games suggest a strong defense, or a horrible offense.
Does a high-scoring game mean a powerful offense or a pitiful defense.
Both "teams" run the same plays, and the ability to adapt to different styles of play does not come into account.

asumike83
April 24th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I have always found Spring Games very difficult to interpret. Individual performances may stand out, but team performance is problematic.
Both "teams" run the same plays, and the ability to adapt to different styles of play does not come into account.

Especially hard to tell with the way ours was run. Team was split into "Black Team" and "Gold Team" and really didn't get to see any of the full #1 offense against the full #1 defense. Plus, with our top 2 QBs sitting out, really no way to gauge the offense.

However, from what I saw in the Spring Game and the scrimmage here in Charlotte, Woody has the defense looking very sharp. Won't know much until we see them in game action but he has guys in the right position. The beauty of his defense is the relative simplicity of it. Dale Jones is a great position coach but as a coordinator, he tried to get too cute with the alignments IMO.

Bisonator
April 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I don't have a problem with ASU or GSU fans still posting here. If you don't like it don't open the threads!

fc97
April 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM

exactly, bad teams can look good when playing themselves. the same thing, good teams can look bad in the same way.

StorminASU
April 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
first and foremost, give it a rest people. thye'll be here. its stupid, but here they are. it is strange that many of them complained about uncc and georgia state for similar things.

on to facts.
they meac is eligible. you meant swac.
correction for asumike, elon has a chance to win and app has no chance to win.
actually technically you aren't part of the subdivision, the classification is in limbo between the two subdivisions

there's lots of sour grapes on both sides, give it a rest.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was insulting them saying Elon also has no chance, but way to miss the obvious. Considering our full schedule next year is FCS schools (except Georgia obviously), I would say most would consider part of the subdivision. I didn't see any sour grapes in this thread until whoanellie and you showed up, so you could both just not click on the obvious AppState thread.

SoCon2013
April 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Perhaps now, Elon will have a chance to win the SoCon title in football, for the first time during the Phoenix membership in the conference.
By the way, capital letters are evidently not your friend..

SoCon2013
April 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Good assessment, walliver.

Apphole
April 24th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Perhaps now, Elon will have a chance to win the SoCon title in football, for the first time during the Phoenix membership in the conference.

Oh yes. Welcome to the board. fc uses the shift key every time Elon beats App at football.

Silenoz
April 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM
What happened to Jackson?

asumike83
April 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
What happened to Jackson?

Off season knee surgery. He's throwing with the team but not a full participant in spring ball. Good news is he's on schedule to be 100% for fall camp and take the field in Missoula!

CID1990
April 24th, 2013, 07:51 PM

They'll have to get through Wofford, El Cid, UTC and even Furman to do so.

Sent from the center of the universe.

IBleedYellow
April 24th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Holy balls the butthurt is strong with the Non-App State or GSU fans in this thread.

appsfan
April 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Holy balls the butthurt is strong with the Non-App State or GSU fans in this thread.

LOL...