PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling

GSU Eagle
June 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
What scheduling philosophy is the best?

There are several different models from the "2 1A games and make some money" philosophy to the "Let's play a cupcake non-conference" schedule to try to enhance playoff possibilities.

GSU currently has 7 conference games to play so that leaves 4 non-conference to schedule. My thinking is that 1 of these 4 should be a 1A game if we can get it (and that should be easier now with 1 game counting every year for 1A teams to be bowl-eligible). 1 other game probably can be a D2 game, maybe to start the season. The other 2 should be 1AA non-conference games, probably 1 home and 1 away each year.

This year we are playing 3 1AA non-conference (Boston U., McNeese and South Dakota St.) and Morehead St. (They aren't 1AA are they? I am not sure what classification they are).

As an Eagle fan I can live with 1 D2 each year but no more. The other games should be 1AA or 1A.

What scheduling philosophy do other schools follow?

blueballs
June 7th, 2005, 02:00 PM
This year we are playing 3 1AA non-conference (Boston U.,

Make that A-10 member Northeastern...

Tribe4SF
June 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Morehead State is I-AA and plays in the Pioneer.

Boston U. does not play football. I believe your game is with Northeastern of the A-10. They'll be thrilled to hear you don't know who they are.

Tribe4SF
June 7th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Tribe plays a I-A every year and has long series with VMI. The other OOC is currently Liberty and I think we will stick with instate I-AA with Hampton being preferred.

Libertine
June 7th, 2005, 02:08 PM
First, let's clarify. You are playing Northeastern, not Boston U. Boston U. dropped their team in '97. Morehead is I-AA, albeit non-scholarship I-AA. They play in the Pioneer League and annually contend for that league's title. Their last SoCon opponent was App St a couple years ago and they nearly pulled the upset at Kidd-Brewer.

As for a scheduling philosophy, I don't like cupcake games on principle. They also do you a disservice preparing for serious competition. I give you Gardner-Webb's 2005 slate which includes 2 NAIA's, UT-Martin and an open date in the first four weeks. Then they go to Furman for a serious reality check. Personally, I like to see a single warm-up game to get the kinks out and, after that, I want to see a schedule that you can be proud of. I would rather see a team in the playoffs that has fought and persevered than a team that won a couple tough ones and padded their record with gimmes.

WMTribe90
June 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
As an overall philosophy, from an A10 perspective, I like to see two I-AA games and one IA game in the OOC. Preferably, the IA game is outside the top 25 and a regional game that your fans can attend (ACC/Big East for WM).
The A-10 is tough enough, so, while I'd love to play Montana, GSU, McNeese, etc. that is too much with a IA already on the schedule. WM doesn't play DIIs. The extra home game would be nice, but it lacks fan appeal and has the potential to bite you in the ass come playoff selection time. I think this is especially true as competition for playoff spots increases with the overall increase in the number of quality programs in I-AA (new programs and resurrected ones). So, for the other two OOC games, I like I-AA competition I feel the Tribes is going to beat consistently if we are a playoff caliber team (Hampton, Liberty, or some second tier PL or Ivy teams).

TexasTerror
June 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I say if your going to play a I-A, you need to play a Div II or NAIA school. Sam has done that. This year, we play TxTech and Houston while hosting Bacone (NAIA). We've in the past hosted two Div II. Not a big fan of that, but this will change since we're guaranteed three SLC home games each year.

With three SLC road trips and three SLC home games, you have five games left to plan. A Div II/NAIA opponent and I-A opponent leaves you with three games. In recent years, we've had home-and-homes with Montana, SW Missouri St (now Missouri State), Western Illinois and Northern Colorado. Sounds good to me if we do those. Fill the rest up with some quality I-AA programs. Home-and-homes.

Fordham
June 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Good question and I think this one may vary by program/conference, with some commonalities. Regardless, here's my take:

1 tune-up is acceptable, as long as it's the first game of the year, and followed by either:

a) your one I-A game per year ... or

b) a very compelling I-AA game against one of the better schools in the country

Remaining games for Fordham should be all Ivy or A-10/CAA matchups.

GeauxLions94
June 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM
This year, we play TxTech and Houston while hosting Bacone (NAIA).

TT,

I smell an a$$-whipping in Bowers to open up the Todd Whitten era :D

P2TheB
June 7th, 2005, 02:58 PM
UNI in the past has scheduled 1 D1-A and 1 D2. Followed by two perennial stronger opponents. Now, they have gone with a schedule as follows:

2005:
@Iowa
vs. D2
vs. Drake (Non-Scholy D1-AA)
vs. Northern Arizona

2006:
@D1-A (Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, or Missouri)
vs. D2
vs. South Dakota State (2nd year D1-AA)
@ Northwestern St.

charliej
June 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
As an overall philosophy, from an A10 perspective, I like to see two I-AA games and one IA game in the OOC. Preferably, the IA game is outside the top 25 and a regional game that your fans can attend (ACC/Big East for WM).
The A-10 is tough enough, so, while I'd love to play Montana, GSU, McNeese, etc. that is too much with a IA already on the schedule. WM doesn't play DIIs. The extra home game would be nice, but it lacks fan appeal and has the potential to bite you in the ass come playoff selection time. I think this is especially true as competition for playoff spots increases with the overall increase in the number of quality programs in I-AA (new programs and resurrected ones). So, for the other two OOC games, I like I-AA competition I feel the Tribes is going to beat consistently if we are a playoff caliber team (Hampton, Liberty, or some second tier PL or Ivy teams).

Ditto!

OL FU
June 7th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I like !-A, and if you get I-A, a division II to offset. the rest with respectable I-AA. IF you cannot get I-A, then play four I-AA.

GSU Eagle
June 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Yes we are playing Northeastern. Playing Boston U. would be quite a story now as we would have to play their club level team if they have one :)

I don't mind playing 1 D2 or lower level team. More than 1 is too many. I really like playing 1 non-regional 1AA -- for us it is South Dakota St. this year.

I know we would like to play a 1A every year but it seems many of the non-top 25 want no part of Georgia Southern. Even some of the top teams aren't jumping at the chance to play us. After we put 28 points and about 350 yards of offense on Georgia last year Richt said he would not be interested in playing Georgia Southern anymore.

If we are not going to play a 1A we should play 3 OOC 1AAs and 1 D2/NAIA every year.

eaglefan452
June 7th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I have no problem not playing I-A teams, I share the sentiments of others on this board who think that playing one D-II school is acceptable if you have the other OOC games as somewhat respectable I-AA schools. That doesn't mean that I am totally against a team scheduling a cupcake game once a year. A nice little "tune-up" can sometimes be a good thing for a team. It can also hurt, but then again, you can say that about any game.