PDA

View Full Version : Teams of the day in I-AA

GSU Eagle
September 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
My vote goes to Montana St. and Richmond. To me those 2 had the biggest wins so far today.

igo4uni
September 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
My vote goes to Montana St. and Richmond. To me those 2 had the biggest wins so far today.

IL. State may be a candidate as well.................

UNHWildCats
September 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM

Montana State for sure, but Duke is pretty pathetic, so as good as the Richmond win was, im not sure it was so surprising that it could constitute Richmond being a team of the day.

Tod
September 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
IL. State may be a candidate as well.................

Portland State, down 6-0 at the half vs New Mexico.

catamount man
September 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Montana State, hands down!!! I bet they're partying in Bozeman tonight.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Jaxhen
September 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'd throw Albany in there as well in terms of significance for their program.

GSU Eagle
September 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
No argument here-- Montana St. clearly deserves the honor of Team of the Day.

Richmond still deserves credit however. I know Duke is no world-beater but for Richmond to go to Duke and shut them out is impressive.

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Montana State, hands down!!! I bet they're partying in Bozeman tonight.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
Got that right!

Tod
September 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
I'd throw Albany in there as well in terms of significance for their program.

Been barring around. I had no idea Albany beat Lehigh. What was the final?

:eek: :eek:

gr8ness97
September 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
on a smaller scale, WSSU crushed NC A&T 41-14 deserves some merit...But congrats to Montana State, that was a BIG win

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
1. Montana State
2. Richmond
3. Albany

So far.......

JBB
September 2nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Montana State!! Go BobCats!!!

Jaxhen
September 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Been barring around. I had no idea Albany beat Lehigh. What was the final?

:eek: :eek:

17-16.

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
1. Montana State
2. Richmond
3. Albany

So far.......

1. Montana State
2. Albany
3. Richmond

I always thought Richmond was better than Duke especially with Duke's losses to transfers. Just my opinion. Albany on the other hand was seen as being below Lehigh talent wise.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
1. Montana State
2. Albany
3. Richmond

I always thought Richmond was better than Duke especially with Duke's losses to transfers. Just my opinion. Albany on the other hand was seen as being below Lehigh talent wise.

True, but I gave the edge to Richmond because of the shutout ;).

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
1. Montana State
2. Albany
3. Richmond

How many equivies is Albany at? They probably aren't far off from PL teams...

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM

The last Albany guy I heard from is that they are at 30.

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
The last Albany guy I heard from is that they are at 30.
ABC halftime crew talked about the MSU-Colorado game- analysts didn't know what to say- just sat there and laughed

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2006, 09:03 PM
ABC halftime crew talked about the MSU-Colorado game- analysts didn't know what to say- just sat there and laughed

Craig James in an *ss.

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
True, but I gave the edge to Richmond because of the shutout ;).

Well as usual we agree to disagree albeit over a very minor point. I'm not surprised at UR's shutout since their D is their strongpoint this year. Duke has lost scholarship QB's to Youngstown and Middle Tennessee State and their team captain and best receiver to Delaware.

All that being said Richmond's win is great for I-AA and reinforces the awesome win by Montana State which I consider the best win of the day. MSU's Carpenter is very cool and poised and MSU will be on my top 25 ballot. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Umass74
September 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Richmond held Duke to 12 first downs--212 total yards. :rotateh:

TheBisonator
September 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
ISu almost pulled one out of the ol' hat, but just couldn't.

I hope the ESPN rubes will start looking at I-AA differently...

Hansel
September 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM

Unlikely....

skinny_uncle
September 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM

25-24 is awfully close. Ill State outplayed KSU except for the special teams. The KSU offense did nothing. Their TDs came from a punt return and a return of a fumbled kickoff.

ISUMatt
September 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
25-24 is awfully close. Ill State outplayed KSU except for the special teams. The KSU offense did nothing. Their TDs came from a punt return and a return of a fumbled kickoff.

Yep our Special Teams let us down...we held them to no offensive TDs and outplayed K-State on both sides of the ball!

blukeys
September 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM

Last I checked Special teams TD's still counted.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
on a smaller scale, WSSU crushed NC A&T 41-14 deserves some merit...But congrats to Montana State, that was a BIG win

What kind of team are the Rams? They fell last week to a sub-Div I foe by a nice margin...

Or is NCA&T that bad?

skinny_uncle
September 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Yep our Special Teams let us down...we held them to no offensive TDs and outplayed K-State on both sides of the ball!
Nice job by both Drone and Robinson
Drone 24-38 253 yds 3 TDs
Robinson 9 catches 77 yds 2 TDs

skinny_uncle
September 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Last I checked Special teams TD's still counted.
Yep.
But the KSU offense only managed 200 yards total offense and no TDs. That was my point. Meanwhile Ill State managed 329 yards and 3 TDs.

UNHWildCats
September 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Well as usual we agree to disagree albeit over a very minor point. I'm not surprised at UR's shutout since their D is their strongpoint this year. Duke has lost scholarship QB's to Youngstown and Middle Tennessee State and their team captain and best receiver to Delaware.

All that being said Richmond's win is great for I-AA and reinforces the awesome win by Montana State which I consider the best win of the day. MSU's Carpenter is very cool and poised and MSU will be on my top 25 ballot. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

They werent already? :eek: :eek:

Dane96
September 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM

We have 8 scholarships doled out to 19 guys, way short of the full (or near full) of Lehigh to more than 60 guys, and nothing near the 30 reported to the Blue Hen fans. We are allowed 30.

GeauxLions94
September 2nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Gotta go with Montana State ...

Richmond runs a close second (whose better between Duke and Colorado)

If Portland State keeps up their lead, they finish third.

Cincy App
September 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Great job by Montana State and Richmond! Always love to see I-AA schools knock off BCS schools! Wish ASU could have had one of them big wins...

griz37
September 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
I would Portland St. the #2 ranking over Richmond. I think UNM would beat Duke 9 times out of 10.

CatFan22
September 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Well since it looks like PSU is going to beat New Mexico, I will have to add them in as well. So MSU, Richmond, and PSU.

TheBisonator
September 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
The big three:

1. Montana State
2. Portland State
3. Richmond

ALL are TRUE winners!!!!!

GaSouthern
September 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
The big three:

1. Montana State
2. Portland State
3. ELON
4. Richmond

ALL are TRUE winners!!!!!

I had to make an edit and include a I-AA vs. I-AA :thumbsup:

dbackjon
September 2nd, 2006, 11:16 PM
Montana State
Portland State
Richmond

Stang Fever
September 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
Montana State
Portland State
Richmond

i second that

GaSouthern
September 2nd, 2006, 11:53 PM
ESPN just announced that 2 I-AA teams beat I-A teams... man they suck at coverage.

Hansel
September 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
ESPN just announced that 2 I-AA teams beat I-A teams... man they suck at coverage.
ESPN also commented on how "I-AA Idaho" was hanging with Mich St during the Hampton/Gramb game

Henny
September 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Del state - honorable mention , Could give Hampton a run for The MEAC Title !!!

GaSouthern
September 3rd, 2006, 12:23 AM
(9) Illinois State 3 0 7 13 23
Kansas State « 0 10 3 11 24
am I the only one impressed by this? even though they lost, I havent seen this mentioned yet on here, maybe I am blind xlolx

mainejeff
September 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM

I'm sure that they think New Mexico is I-AA :nod:

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Get a nice looking haircut, some pertty veneers, a few jokes that you can use over and over and over again........and you too can become an ESPN "personality"........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

September 3rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Montana State 19, Colorado 10, at Colorado
Richmond 13, Duke 0, at Duke
Portland State 17, New Mexico 6, at New Mexico
Albany 17, Lehigh 16, at Lehigh
Kansas State 24, Illinois State 23, at Kansas State
Maryland 27, Wm & Mary 14, at Maryland
Purdue 60, Indiana State 35, at Purdue

JALMOND
September 3rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
1. Montana State
2. Richmond
3. Portland State

Have to go with the three I-AA winners over I-A. From there it is simple. Portland State beat a I-A, but not from a non-BCS team. Richmond beat a BCS team, but a team that could arguably be called a "basketball" school. Montana State not only beat a BCS team, but a team that has a national reputation as being a "football" school. Any team, I-A or not, has to be on top of their game to get a win in Boulder.

Not to disrespect anything that these three did today. All three played well, stepped up to the higher level, and got the victory. All three deserve the recognition for their achievements. We came close to getting a fourth (Illinois State against K-State).

GreatAppSt
September 3rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
MSU
Spiders
Elonkers Send Beach Chickens packing out of the top 25. The honeymoon is now officially over.

R.A.
September 3rd, 2006, 06:09 AM
You gotta throw Hampton's victory over the Icon Grambling into the mix. It was the biggest I-AA HBCU victory of the day, it will have an affect on the polls come Monday, and out of all the I-AA victories today, it's getting the most press coverage (Thanks to ESPN).

GreatAppSt
September 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
A good come back for Hampy

seantaylor
September 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Montana State.

blukeys
September 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
You gotta throw Hampton's victory over the Icon Grambling into the mix. It was the biggest I-AA HBCU victory of the day, it will have an affect on the polls come Monday, and out of all the I-AA victories today, it's getting the most press coverage (Thanks to ESPN).

What impressed me the most was Hampton got it done with backups at 2 key positions.

Where are all the Grambling guys???????

GAD
September 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
:thumbsup: Congrats to Montana State, Richmond, and Portland State!
Thank You fou reping I-AA to the fullest:thumbsup:

FlyYtown
September 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
My vote is with Illinois State. I said they were really really good, and had they won that game, I think they could've gone undefeated this season.

birdsflyhigh
September 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
FlyYtown, not sure about undefeated. ISU's coach Johnson said that he's not sure that Kansas St. is the best team his team will face this year.
That speaks volumes about the Gateway, or he might be making reference to the possibility of facing some top I-AA teams in the playoffs. Not really sure.

At any rate, the KSU loss is a tough one because the Birds, in front of 47,000 screaming Wildcat fans, shut them down defensively and outplayed them on offense. But our special teams....argh!!!

After the bad taste from the KSU game, the Birds will be hungry for the rest of their season.....hmmmm....I like! :rotateh:

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
would've loved to see isu have a chance in ot.

DTSpider
September 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
My vote would have to go to Montana State with the big W over Colorado. That was all over the place.

Richmond's win is highlighted though by the shutout and with a freshman QB.