PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Safety Tevin McDonald transfers to EWU

Screamin_Eagle174
April 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM
http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2012-13/Releases/TevinMcDonald

McDonald is enrolled in classes and will begin practicing with the team as early as Thursday. The son of six-time NFL All-Pro safety Tim McDonald, he was recently dismissed from UCLA’s squad for violating team policy.

Tevin McDonald had 135 tackles in 27 career games at UCLA, plus four interceptions and 14 passes broken up. The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder from Fresno, Calif., had 79 tackles as a sophomore in 2012. His brother, T.J., was a senior All-America safety at USC in the 2012 season.

“After consultation with many people and having a long discussion with Tevin, we’ve determined that he deserves the opportunity to continue his collegiate career,” said Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin. “We have high expectations of him off the field, in the classroom and on the field.”

McDonald’s father, Tim McDonald, is currently the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets, and one of his players is former Eagle Isaiah Trufant (2002-05). Tim McDonald played 13 years in the NFL, including 1993-99 for the San Francisco 49ers, which won Super Bowl XXIX. Most recently he spent one season on the coaching staff at Fresno State, and before that was head coach at his alma mater, Edison High School in Fresno.

Pending he stays out of trouble, that's going to make an already good EWU secondary into a potent one. Granted I do have my reservations about him staying away from bud in this state.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 9th, 2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2012-13/Releases/TevinMcDonald

Pending he stays out of trouble, that's going to make an already good EWU secondary into a potent one. Granted I do have my reservations about him staying away from bud in this state.

Well good luck to him but that certainly will be a test of his willpower. xlolx

coover
April 9th, 2013, 11:34 PM
He can expect a large shipment the week of November 10 - November 16. I don't know from whom, but I am sure it will be made

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Note to GATW as well. It is now time to put operation "Red Beard" into action. Let me know when I need to send the payment to Levon Helm and tell him we need seats on the glass as well.

kdinva
April 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I wonder if Liberty reached out to him...........given their history of wanting to re-hab folks.......

bjtheflamesfan
April 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Doubt it kd...Coach Gill isnt like Coach Rocco in that respect. We are pretty well stocked with talented DBs and I think he is less inclined to pick up "problem cases"

srgrizizen
April 10th, 2013, 12:20 PM
After consultation with many people and having a long discussion with Tevin, we’ve determined that he deserves the opportunity to continue his collegiate career,” said Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin.

Translation: We think this kid can help us win some games and we don't much care about anything else.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2013, 12:44 PM
After consultation with many people and having a long discussion with Tevin, we’ve determined that he deserves the opportunity to continue his collegiate career,” said Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin.

Translation: We think this kid can help us win some games and we don't much care about anything else.

Really? Montana hasn't done anything like this in trying the make the team better and also give a player a second chance? It's the nature of the beast so I sure don't fault someone for thinking they can help him and Beau B. seems to have a real good handle to get the best out of kids that really like him and want to perform for him.

Just sayin', I'm not sure the translation is accurate.

Bisonator
April 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I can see giving him a second chance, but this is his third failed drug test? Good grief the kid has a problem!

Washington should be a great fit for him! :D

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I can see giving him a second chance, but this is his third failed drug test? Good grief the kid has a problem!

Washington should be a great fit for him! :D

Yeah, I suppose I just don't put much weight on those sorts of crimes so I am coming from a different perspective on it I suppose. It's no better than 50/50 he'll be there for any length of time.

kdinva
April 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Doubt it kd...Coach Gill isnt like Coach Rocco in that respect. I think he is less inclined to pick up "problem cases"

glad to hear that! Coach Gill doesn't mind coaching 18 year olds, doesn't count on the quick fix like Rocco and MM do.....

Screamin_Eagle174
April 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Really? Montana hasn't done anything like this in trying the make the team better and also give a player a second chance? It's the nature of the beast so I sure don't fault someone for thinking they can help him and Beau B. seems to have a real good handle to get the best out of kids that really like him and want to perform for him.

Just sayin', I'm not sure the translation is accurate.

Yeah, somethin' about the pot callin' the trees green? xlolx

md64179
April 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Thats what I took from the statement

ewueagle2010
April 11th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Thats what I took from the statement

Well that's fine I guess. But you obviously don't know much about Beau Baldwin and EWU program if you think that's what it's all about.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 12th, 2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/apr/11/mcdonald-vows-make-most-fresh-start/

“They’ve been very welcoming and understanding of my situation,” McDonald said. “I just want to make this coaching staff know that I’m putting this behind me and I’m looking to make the most of it.”

McDonald was dismissed from the UCLA team on March 26. Under UCLA policy, a player loses his scholarship after a fourth positive test.

“Probably in his mind this is the last chance, and … that may be what he needs,” said Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin, who emphasized that the decision to accept McDonald was done after contacting his high school coaches as well as members of the UCLA staff.