PDA

View Full Version : NOLA Newspaper Picks Surprising SLC Champion

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Apparently, the New Orleans fishwrap, the Times Picayune has the Sam Houston State Bearkats as the #1 team, their pick to win the SLC! Talk about supporting a long shot in the eyes of everyone outside of Bearkat Nation!

I have been wearing SHSU clothes proudly in New Orleans (even to work when given a chance), but this was quite the shocker to read in the TP, which has been blasted by SELA and Nicholls faithful for a lack of SLC coverage, that they picked the Bearkats as their SLC champion. Perhaps the TP looked at the last two years, when teams in the bottom of the preseason polls came out of nowhere to take the crown.

Note the TP also has NWST down in 6th...more notes on the other teams accessible via the link below...and yes, they call the Bearkats, the "Cowboys"...

SOUTHLAND PICKS
Saturday, September 02, 2006

1. Sam Houston State

Note: Eight starters return on offense and defense, but an early Christmas gift arrived on campus Monday when ex-Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar enrolled. Bomar accepted paychecks for hours he didn't work at his summer job, and Oklahoma dismissed him from the team. Though it isn't expected he'll be eligible early, he should be cleared in time for conference play giving the Cowboys all the ingredients for success.

2. McNeese State
Note: The Cowboys return quarterback Mark Fontenot and receiver Quinten Lawrence, who caught 27 passes for 572 yards and six touchdowns last season. Eight offensive and nine defensive starters return. Also, this squad is loaded with locals like Lawrence Darby (Covington High), Steven Whitehead (Salmen), Chris Thomas (Salmen) and Kris Bush (John Curtis).

3. Texas State
4. Southeastern Louisiana
5. Nicholls State
6. Northwestern State
7. Stephen F. Austin

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-25/1157178976267380.xml&coll=1

mcneese
September 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
very interesting!

mcneese
September 2nd, 2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.richpaints.com/assets/pride%20of%20mcneese.bmp

GeauxLions94
September 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
SOUTHLAND PICKS
Saturday, September 02, 2006

1. Sam Houston State

Note: Eight starters return on offense and defense, but an early Christmas gift arrived on campus Monday when ex-Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar enrolled. Bomar accepted paychecks for hours he didn't work at his summer job, and Oklahoma dismissed him from the team. Though it isn't expected he'll be eligible early, he should be cleared in time for conference play giving the Cowboys all the ingredients for success.

2. McNeese State
Note: The Cowboys return quarterback Mark Fontenot and receiver Quinten Lawrence, who caught 27 passes for 572 yards and six touchdowns last season. Eight offensive and nine defensive starters return. Also, this squad is loaded with locals like Lawrence Darby (Covington High), Steven Whitehead (Salmen), Chris Thomas (Salmen) and Kris Bush (John Curtis).

3. Texas State
4. Southeastern Louisiana
5. Nicholls State
6. Northwestern State
7. Stephen F. Austin

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-25/1157178976267380.xml&coll=1

Sounds like this is a Tammy Nunez piece since she covers us (SLU) a good bit (not on a daily basis, but better than we've ever had). Noticed the slip-up with referring SHSU to the Cowboys (sorry, didn't get the full read on your post) :o

The TP must have needed some space since they usually don't give a Rat's xazzx about any school not named LSU or Tulane.

GeauxColonels
September 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM
Apparently, the New Orleans fishwrap, the Times Picayune has the Sam Houston State Bearkats as the #1 team, their pick to win the SLC! Talk about supporting a long shot in the eyes of everyone outside of Bearkat Nation!

I have been wearing SHSU clothes proudly in New Orleans (even to work when given a chance), but this was quite the shocker to read in the TP, which has been blasted by SELA and Nicholls faithful for a lack of SLC coverage, that they picked the Bearkats as their SLC champion. Perhaps the TP looked at the last two years, when teams in the bottom of the preseason polls came out of nowhere to take the crown.
Whoever wrote it is basing the entire conference race on one player. It's as simple as that. I'm not saying that Bomar won't help SHSU, he most certainly will...but there is a lot more to college football and the SLC race than 1 player. This just shows the complete ignorance that the TP staff has when if comes to the SLC.

I mean just look at the write-ups...look how short most of them are. These people read OTHER articles from other newspapers and based all of their conclusions on that. The very few times they've had a write-up about Nicholls State...it was from wire reports. The Advocate in Baton Rouge (probably twice as far away as New Orleans) had a full article and a few pictures from the game the next day. The TP staff is comprised of several guys that are completely full of themselves and I find more and more that they're writing opinion pieces in lieu of actually reporting the sports.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
The TP must have needed some space since they usually don't give a Rat's xazzx about any school not named LSU or Tulane.

They also did a SWAC picks listing as well in the paper today...

Must give them their props for their HS football coverage. They do a great job of that, but as you said, pretty miserable when it comes to SLC coverage...

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2006, 10:37 AM
I'll stick with McNeese, regardless of whether or not Bomar plays.

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
I won't say McNeese wins the conference but I will bet money SHSU does not win just because they now have RB in the fold

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I won't say McNeese wins the conference but I will bet money SHSU does not win just because they now have RB in the fold

Comes down to the maturation of the Kats WRs (lots of young athletes with burners) and the success of the Kats running backs (can the Kats get consistent production?)...with those two things working, Kats will be fine...

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Comes down to the maturation of the Kats WRs (lots of young athletes with burners) and the success of the Kats running backs (can the Kats get consistent production?)...with those two things working, Kats will be fine...

I agree, I just do not think it will be this year :)

GeauxColonels
September 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I definitely agree on that. McNeese has a much better shot at winning the conference. Now, Bomar DOES improve SHSU's team significantly, but I think they're still a year away from being at the top again.