PDA

View Full Version : SCSU & Wofford make season opener one to remember

bosshogg
September 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
this is how a rivalry should be..I look forward to playing Wofford, and hope that this, as well as other rivalries with coastal, furman, charleston southern, the citadel, etc develop into "must see" games in SC

http://imgsrv.goupstate.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SJ&Date=20060901&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=609010305&Ref=AR&Profile=1028

Gerod Allison and Larry Joyner have a lot in common.

They both work in the insurance business. They both have daughters named Lauren, and they both love college football.

But the similarities stop there, because they will sit on opposite sides of the football field Saturday when Wofford College hosts South Carolina State University in its season opener.

"I am looking forward to the game because South Carolina State always brings a good crowd with them," Joyner said. "It was a close game last year."

Joyner, a 1976 graduate of Wofford and vice president and treasurer of CWS Insurance Agency Inc., has been a Terriers fan for a long time. He has a brother, brother-in-law, father-in-law, niece and daughter who are all Wofford graduates.

The Allisons, on the other hand, have established a family tradition at SCSU. Allison and his two sisters and cousins graduated from SCSU.

Allison, a 1982 graduate and an agent for Allstate in Spartanburg, travels around the region to watch the Bulldogs during football season.

Revenge is on his mind this weekend because Wofford defeated his alma mater last year. Allison remembers it well because, when he arrived to work one morning after the game, he discovered a Wofford T-shirt on the front door of his office.

"I have friends in Rotary who tease me," he said. "If State wins, there are going to be some people wearing State caps."

The only thing that both men can agree on about the game is the halftime show featuring a performance by the Marching 101, which includes several students from Spartanburg and Cherokee counties. The band is nationally recognized and led by a nationally acclaimed band director, Eddie Ellis.

Ellis had band members report to campus several weeks before classes started to get them ready for the season. Just like the football team, the band spent a week in intensive training at band camp at Rock Eagle 4-H Center near Eatonton, Ga.

"We worked on fundamentals to get them in body-ready shape," Ellis said. "We had to spend some time getting ready because we can't practice for long hours when classes start."

Band members practiced from 6:30 a.m. until midnight for several days. They received breaks for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"It's great to get away where there are no distractions and we can stay focused," Ellis said. "We were able to get a lot done."

The band and the Champagne Girls will make several appearances around Spartanburg before the game. They will have a pep rally on Morgan Square this afternoon with the Wofford cheerleaders and mascot and hold a drum line showcase with local high school bands Saturday in Barnet Park.

Both Wofford and SCSU have so many alumni in the area that Saturday's game will seem more like a home game for both teams.

Allison has his SCSU banner and bulldog ready for attack. Joyner has his Wofford flag and stuffed terrier ready to strike.

And these two fans are ready to see whose team will be the top dog this year.

Linda Conley can be reached at 562-7213 or [email protected].

arranger101
September 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM
VERY NICE!!!

The '101' is ready. All of that hard work surely paid of at the battle of the bands in Charlotte on August 26th.:thumbsup:

http://www.marchingbandtv.com/playvideo.php?id=DggozGzkk8fO52nDPKKLC3jDK6w9GWE6w FzTzz7oJJl2YfvuyR

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Great Story and glad to see that a rivalry can be fun.

arranger101
September 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Coming to a stadium near you!!!

http://www.marchingbandtv.com/playvideo.php?id=altAJ5ht07bgpJdxVeVfVq2iE1yGpqKtA Y7iYCg0xVrnOUOq

Mr. C
September 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Glad to see the two programs working together to make this a whole-day event, instead of just a football game. The schools in South Carolina seem to know how to do things right in developing rivalries. What a great state for I-AA football. I'm looking forward to seeing the game on ETV when I get back home from Appalachian State-NC State.

blukeys
September 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Glad to see the two programs working together to make this a whole-day event, instead of just a football game. The schools in South Carolina seem to know how to do things right in developing rivalries. What a great state for I-AA football. I'm looking forward to seeing the game on ETV when I get back home from Appalachian State-NC State.

Is there an internet link so we can get the game outside of South Carolina??????

I know that SC ETV is very acitve in SC. They should be more than willing to put the game on the net since the taxpayers are already footing the production bill.