PDA

View Full Version : SoCon to become all-private school conference?

Model Citizen
March 29th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The Florida Gulf Coasts leave, the Mercers come in. Is this what's going to happen?

Babar
March 29th, 2013, 03:17 PM
It's not so bad.

rokamortis
March 29th, 2013, 03:31 PM
The Florida Gulf Coasts leave, the Mercers come in. Is this what's going to happen?

The Big South would welcome most of those schools with open arms.

Model Citizen
March 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
The Big South would welcome most of those schools with open arms.

You mean the state schools?

rokamortis
March 29th, 2013, 04:19 PM
You mean the state schools?

The schools that would be leaving the SoCon under your scenario - so yes, the state schools.

Sandlapper Spike
March 29th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Florida Gulf Coast had never won a Southern Conference title of any kind, so it clearly wasn't pulling its weight. Definitely needed to go.

Go...gate
March 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
It's not so bad.

Agreed.

walliver
March 30th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I can't picture the SoCon kicking The Citadel out, people often forget that the little dogs in Charleston are a public school.

Would the Big South be willing to take UNC-G?

rokamortis
March 30th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I can't picture the SoCon kicking The Citadel out, people often forget that the little dogs in Charleston are a public school.

Would the Big South be willing to take UNC-G?

Although the Citadel is publicly supported, I've always considered them (and VMI) pseudo-private due to their institutional profile. I wouldn't see them leave in that scenario.

I think the Big South would accept UNC-G, Western, and UTC in a heartbeat ... whether those schools would want to go BSC is another story. But if the SoCon insists on only admitting private / high academic schools then I could see those institutions looking for a new home.

fc97
March 30th, 2013, 04:30 PM
ifthe socon goes all private, they will probably lose samford or elon or both. if they stay pseudo public/private taking in the citadel, vmi, william and mary, uncw, unca types it might work but is still a long shot.

the only school pushing this de-emphasized football and private school crap is wofford. i am not even sold that furman and davidson are on board with it.

CID1990
March 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Who is suggesting that the SoCon would go all private? What sense would that make? There are now and have always been a mix of public- private schools in the SoCon, and all of them have fit well within the conference.

This sounds like more "UNCW starting football in 2015" horsecrap.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Purple Knight
March 30th, 2013, 11:06 PM
What is this war going on between public and private schools? Is it only in your mind? The SoCon private schools have kept up pretty good with you all-powerful public Goliths. And we have exceeded your performances in academics. Is that what this is all about? Your resentment in their higher academic performance? Forget about it! Go strum your banjo.

fc97
March 31st, 2013, 09:25 AM
its a couple of things
northerners at private schools
perception that all private school students are rich
perception that you have to be rich to go to private school

leading into the typical class warfare going on in usa now.