PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the SoCon now?

The Cats
March 28th, 2013, 10:46 AM
With App State and Ga Southern not eligible for the 2013 SoCon football championship, who wins the title and takes the auto bid to the FCS playoffs?

The Citadel
Elon
Furman
Samford
Chattanooga
WCU
Wofford

AshevilleApp2
March 28th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Ankle biters.

catamount man
March 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
WCU shocks FCS in 2013. GO CATS!

asumike83
March 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
It is Wofford's to lose, IMO.

Reign of Terrier
March 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
It'll be up for grabs, that's for sure, but Wofford should be favored.

The Citadel, Furman, and Chattanooga are threatening enough though

chattownmocs
March 28th, 2013, 11:14 AM
The schedule definitely just tilted towards Chattanooga. Wofford, Samford, and The Citadel at home. 4 home games that count and 2 road games.

On second thought. All games count for everyone except GSU and App im guessing.

Apphole
March 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I think Chatty will finally do it this year. Wofford lost their DC and best offensive player.

Chatty's success will depend on their ability to improve that bad offense. Huesman should get fired if they don't make the playoffs now that App and Stink are gone.

Reign of Terrier
March 28th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Chattanooga and Furman concern me the most. I think Wofford's a lock for the playoffs regardless. If we win the Socon, or better yet, perform in the area of 9-2, we could get a top 3 or 4 seed

IBleedYellow
March 28th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Even without your amazing stud Runningback/Tailback, I can still see Wofford doing well.

asumike83
March 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM
On second thought. All games count for everyone except GSU and App im guessing.

Was wondering that myself. I know App/GSU will have an official 0-0 SoCon record in 2013 but will the games against us count in the opponents' conference W-L record?

chattownmocs
March 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Was wondering that myself. I know App/GSU will have an official 0-0 SoCon record in 2013 but will the games against us count in the opponents' conference W-L record?

IDK. If you guys are technically FCS Independants then I wouldnt think they would count for anyone. But who knows. Has anyone even said for sure that you guys arent eligible?

CFBfan
March 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
It'll be up for grabs, that's for sure, but Wofford should be favored.

The Citadel, Furman, and Chattanooga are threatening enough though

with fans like citidog the citadel will never win!!!

Sandlapper Spike
March 28th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Iamarino said yesterday that they would.

Personally, I am not sure they should, but one problem is the home/away imbalance that would create for games that did count. Wofford hosts both App and GSU (as does Elon), while both UTC and WCU travel to App/GSU.

eaglewraith
March 28th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I think Chatty will finally do it this year. Wofford lost their DC and best offensive player.

Chatty's success will depend on their ability to improve that bad offense. Huesman should get fired if they don't make the playoffs now that App and Stink are gone.

This is how I'm thinking as well. Chatty is definitely set up best. Wofford has too many questions at this point.

cmaxwellgsu
March 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM
While recent history says Wofford, I think they have too many question marks. While they are always tough and well coached, some years they just get outgunned. My gut says Furman comes back to the top.

walliver
March 28th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Since ASU and GSU games still count, the SoCon may only get one or two spots. If ASH and GSU have banner years, sons of the other teams will have trouble getting 7 D-1 wins.

Mike Ayers will have the Terriers prepared. The real question is whether of not UTC can actually out score ASU or GSU.

BisonFan02
March 28th, 2013, 01:45 PM
On paper, Chatty....likely to happen, Wofford.

pike51
March 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Until Chatty proves they can finish the job, they can't be considered the favorite. Gotta go with Wofford on this one.

GSUhooligan
March 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Western has more votes than UT-c. LOLOLOL

dgtw
March 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM
It would be funny if they went 8-0 and 7-1 on their way out the door.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM

IDK about App, but GSU will probably be better on offense than we've been in several years.

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2013, 03:26 PM
IDK about App, but GSU will probably be better on offense than we've been in several years.

GSU's offense is probably at max capacity. They are very good, but you can only score so many points per game when you run the ball 95% of the time. They might be statistically better, but it will probably be negligible.

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I see a few groupings

I think the favorites will be the Citadel and UTC. They return their core and both play solid defense.

I think Wofford and Samford are right behind them. Wofford loses their best player in years, and Samford still hasn't shown me they are really ready to take the "next step."

Furman will sit behind them, but I think could be a real wildcard. They played Wofford tough last year on the road, and have historically been tough wins for UTC and The Citadel. They also dropped a close one to Samford on the road last year before benching their QB.

Elon and WCU bring up the rear. I'm tempted to think Elon will be in the cellar this season. I put them last simply because Furman, who was 3-8, trounced both of them. Elon struggled in 2012 despite having arguably the best offensive player in the league.

Smitty
March 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
WCU because why not.... besides the whole not winning a SoCon game in forever. Bah Humbug to facts!

PaladinNation
March 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Furman is young, young, young in 2013, in some ways younger than 2012. But, Furman raises their athleticism greatly, will this get Furman more than 6 wins 2013? Furman's SoCon dream will be dependent on a few true freshmen building depth at DL, LB, and Corner. They have the accolades but it's a toss up… now 2014-2015 look out, I've gotta feeling the Death Dealer is back.

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Furman is young, young, young in 2013, in some ways younger than 2012. But, Furman raises their athleticism greatly, will this get Furman more than 6 wins 2013? Furman's SoCon dream will be dependent on a few true freshmen building depth at DL, LB, and Corner. They have the accolades but it's a toss up… now 2014-2015 look out, I've gotta feeling the Death Dealer is back.

Furman has talent but lacks experience.

It will be shocking what a year in the system will do for our passing game (which was nonexistent last season). A half decent ability to throw the football last year and we probably beat Samford, Coastal, and Wofford.

walliver
March 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Even funnier if they went 1-7 and 0-8.

md64179
March 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Wofford for now, but things could easly change in the future

SpeedkingATL
March 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I think this is the year UTC wins a couple of big games and with App and GaSo not in the mix, gets the auto bid. The have the most favorable schedule.

eaglewraith
March 28th, 2013, 11:57 PM
GSU's offense is probably at max capacity. They are very good, but you can only score so many points per game when you run the ball 95% of the time. They might be statistically better, but it will probably be negligible.

Actually our PPG could jump quite significantly. There was still way too many occasions last year where the offense "stalled" and we failed to convert/score. Way too many times we drove into the redzone and failed to score. We should score more points this year period. It won't LOOK any different, but we'll just finish drives.

seantaylor
March 29th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Our offense will be even better this season. I look for about a 4-6 point increase.

Wofford wins the Socon, by a pretty healthy margin with 3 losses.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Actually our PPG could jump quite significantly. There was still way too many occasions last year where the offense "stalled" and we failed to convert/score. Way too many times we drove into the redzone and failed to score. We should score more points this year period. It won't LOOK any different, but we'll just finish drives.

We heard this last year too. They won't.

Look, GSU has a great offense. They already average 35 points per game and scored something like 430 points last season. That already puts them at the top statistically of just about any football team in the country. The point is that even the greatest college offenses of all time have a ceiling. They have to give the ball to the other team.

There were only seven teams in FBS football that averaged more than 40 points per game last year. All of those teams ran uptempo spread offense built around running as many plays as possible (and one had the Heisman trophy winner). Unless the NCAA makes the game longer, or GSU stops running the option, they won't average over 40 points.

Baldy
March 29th, 2013, 07:11 AM
GSU's offense is probably at max capacity. They are very good, but you can only score so many points per game when you run the ball 95% of the time. They might be statistically better, but it will probably be negligible.We've had several years where we have scored 100-150+ points more than what we did last season. Plenty of room for improvement.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM
We've had several years where we have scored 100-150+ points more than what we did last season. Plenty of room for improvement.

The best offense you've had in 10 years was the 2004 team, and they averaged 47 points per game. That team also played a much easier schedule (by a country mile). I'm not saying it cannot be done, I'm just saying it probably won't be done.

It's a hard argument to say "well, our offense will be better because they stalled a lot last year." I mean, Furman's offense stalled a lot last year too. It was generally because the opposing defense stopped them.

My point is that last offseason we had to hear about how much better the GSU offense was going to be in 2012 than it was in 2011. I said the same thing I'm saying now - they will be good, they will not be significantly better. They averaged about half a point more per game.

catamount man
March 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I'm not worried about WCU's offense, it's the defense I pray that gets shored up. We recruited heavily on D plus Andre Shishken is back from missing 2012 with a broken elbow. GO CATS!

cmaxwellgsu
March 29th, 2013, 08:45 AM
We've had several years where we have scored 100-150+ points more than what we did last season. Plenty of room for improvement.

I remember '99 where we scored 747 over 15 games. A field goal away from a 50 PPG average.

SpeedkingATL
March 29th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I remember '99 where we scored 747 over 15 games. A field goal away from a 50 PPG average.

Some of it will depend on the style of defenses and offenses of the opponents. I can certainly see GaSo scoring 40+ against the Apps...........and still possibly losing. With AE the Apps offense scored so quickly that even our decent defense gave up lots of points because of fatague and the sheer number of pocessions each team had. GaSo could certainly fit into that description this year with the quick strike speed of their backs. App could also this year but by air strike rather than option.

chattownmocs
March 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I take it that the Western Carolina votes are from ASU and GSU fans who think it is cute. But the ignorance on this Wofford team is overwhelming. They aren't winning squat and they probably aren't finishing 2nd.

Apphole
March 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Best O App has had since 2007.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Some of it will depend on the style of defenses and offenses of the opponents. I can certainly see GaSo scoring 40+ against the Apps...........and still possibly losing. With AE the Apps offense scored so quickly that even our decent defense gave up lots of points because of fatague and the sheer number of pocessions each team had. GaSo could certainly fit into that description this year with the quick strike speed of their backs. App could also this year but by air strike rather than option.

The Armanti-led App offenses were spectacular.

I think Furman's 2005 unit has to be in the conversation of great offenses, too. That team averaged 35 points per game out of a pro-style offense that was neither in the hurry up, nor did it rely on any smoke and mirrors. They just manhandled defenses. Perhaps the most physical offense I've seen in the FCS.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about that team was the balance. That offense averaged 225 yards a game passing, and 245 yards a game rushing. Ingle Martin was a great quarterback, but he was by no means a one man show. They just pounded you between the tackles and would throw one haymaker after another off play action.

Smitty
March 29th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I take it that the Western Carolina votes are from ASU and GSU fans who think it is cute. But the ignorance on this Wofford team is overwhelming. They aren't winning squat and they probably aren't finishing 2nd.

Aww you are just mad because you are 3rd once again.

dungeonjoe
March 29th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I accept the facts of the App/GSU move, but I am still wrapping my head around two conference champs in 2012 not contending for 2013. I don't know how the dynamics will play out yet. I would say Wofford, Samford, and Citadel would be at the top with UTC as the wildcard.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I accept the facts of the App/GSU move, but I am still wrapping my head around two conference champs in 2012 not contending for 2013. I don't know how the dynamics will play out yet. I would say Wofford, Samford, and Citadel would be at the top with UTC as the wildcard.

What's Wofford's story this season. I don't know their roster that well, but I do know that they lose perhaps the conference's best player. I have been of the opinion that Britenstein really made Wofford's offense go, and took a lot of pressure off other guys that could just be role players.

Appaholic
March 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
What's Wofford's story this season. I don't know their roster that well, but I do know that they lose perhaps the conference's best player. I have been of the opinion that Britenstein really made Wofford's offense go, and took a lot of pressure off other guys that could just be role players.

They also lost their DC to App.

Appaholic
March 29th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Bank it.

fc97
March 29th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Bank it.

it would be bad if app and gsu didnt finish 8-0, 7-1. theyve been recruiting fbs level talent for 1-2 seasons by promising recruits fbs. now theyll offer 10-15 scholarships more than everyone else in the conference in the current year.

walliver
April 2nd, 2013, 02:55 PM

Our starting QB is not coming back for his final year. He is graduating and going to grad school, although I suspect he would not have been the go to guy this year - his skill set isn't a good fit for the TO. Our new DC has been in the program for a number of years, and had been interviewed for other FCS DC spots so I think we are OK there. I think we could compete for the SoCon even with ASU and GSU in the mix. On the other hand, with a few injuries, we could have one of the bad years Mike Ayers has very 4 years (2001, 2005, and 2009).

To be honest, I think that every team other than WCU and Elon is in the mix this year.

GlassOnion
April 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
it would be bad if app and gsu didnt finish 8-0, 7-1. theyve been recruiting fbs level talent for 1-2 seasons by promising recruits fbs. now theyll offer 10-15 scholarships more than everyone else in the conference in the current year.

Not so. The # is 5, 5 additional scholarships, and they'll likely go to preferred walkons, who would have been here anyway.

CID1990
April 2nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
I think we'll compete for it this year. We have most of our key players back (with the exception that we kicked our All American center out of school), and Spring ball showed lots of improvement as well as some new wrinkles. We have some knobs that will probably make an early impact, as well. I like our chances for a 8-4 season. Maybe even 9 wins, but that likely would mean a win over ODU, which I am picking as a loss right now.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Eagle22
April 2nd, 2013, 04:15 PM

Maybe the last three weeks of the season.

Combined early on with trying out a new QB, replacing three All-Conference caliber starters on the O-line and dealing with the loss of Robert Brown and missed games due to concussions by other key offensive players ... we weren't close to max capacity.

If Swope is healthy all year long, we will be far more potent on offense than we were. Our senior wideouts who graduated were great team players who never got the ball thrown their way. I expect the redshirted crop of WR's and B-Backs to put a lot of depth out there that will greatly benefit our offense.

When GSU's offense is in perfect sync, we're reeling off big plays and scoring quick. It has been a few years since we've had that sort of firepower, but we are now in the stages of fine tuning again.

fc97
April 3rd, 2013, 07:36 AM
i just realized how devastating this could be for the other 7 socon schools. not because app and gsu are leaving, but because this means that nearly all of us went from 1 fbs school to pretty much 3 fbs schools on the schedule. since app and gsu will be giving 73 or more scholarships for 2013, the gap just widened tremendously, this could make the socon a 1 bid team just for the fact of how this will play out for our scheduling.

Sandlapper Spike
April 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
i just realized how devastating this could be for the other 7 socon schools. not because app and gsu are leaving, but because this means that nearly all of us went from 1 fbs school to pretty much 3 fbs schools on the schedule. since app and gsu will be giving 73 or more scholarships for 2013, the gap just widened tremendously, this could make the socon a 1 bid team just for the fact of how this will play out for our scheduling.

Western Carolina will play five games this season against teams with 70+ scholarships -- Middle Tennessee State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, GSU, and App. All five games will be on the road.

chattownmocs
April 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
So did App State and Georgia Southern anticipate this and sign 5 or whatever extra players? Who are these extra schollies going to considering signing day is long past?

As far as the remaining 7 SOCON schools go for 2013.

1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. Western Carolina
7. Elon.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 3rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
With Appalachian State and Georgia Southern ineligible, here is my educated guess on how it pans out.

1) Wofford - Quite possibly the best of what's left
2) The Citadel - Can they repeat last year's success?
3) Chattanooga - Decent team overall, could contend for title
4) Samford - Good year overall but had a bummer of finish
5) Furman - Like McKayla Maroney, I'm not impressed.
6) Western Carolina - They're winning a SoCon game this season.
7) Elon - This team is in shambles.

Smitty
April 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Can App and GS afford the extra scholarships this year?

CID1990
April 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
With Appalachian State and Georgia Southern ineligible, here is my educated guess on how it pans out.

1) Wofford - Quite possibly the best of what's left
2) The Citadel - Can they repeat last year's success?
3) Chattanooga - Decent team overall, could contend for title
4) Samford - Good year overall but had a bummer of finish
5) Furman - Like McKayla Maroney, I'm not impressed.
6) Western Carolina - They're winning a SoCon game this season.
7) Elon - This team is in shambles.

We'll be better and older.

Whether that will translate into title contention remains to be seen.

Chuck Norris
April 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
1. Samford
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Western Carolina
6. Furman
7. Elon

1&2 are a toss up for me. I think Samford will have a better Defense. Chattanooga is going to have the best off. outside of Georgia Southern. Wofford lost there identity when they lost Breitenstein. I don't mean that they will be a bad team. I just don't know who they are right now? With all that said, I still say Georgia Southern has the best Socon record at the end of 2013.

1. Georgia Southern
2. Samford
3. App. State
4. Chattanooga
5. Wofford
6. The Citadel
7. Western Carolina
8. Furman
9. Elon

The Moody1
April 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Can App and GS afford the extra scholarships this year?

Yes.

walliver
April 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
I doubt the extra scholarships will have any real effect this year. The moves by ASU and GSU occurred after signing day. There are not really any FBS or good FCS candidates out there to sign. Both schools will most likely convert partial scholarships to full scholarships. Maybe in the recruiting process, they told potential recruits they would offer a partial now with a full scholarship to follow which might have some effect. In general, though, I suspect all the top recruits, the ones who could play as freshmen, already have a full ride.

Chuck Norris
April 3rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
I doubt the extra scholarships will have any real effect this year. The moves by ASU and GSU occurred after signing day. There are not really any FBS or good FCS candidates out there to sign. Both schools will most likely convert partial scholarships to full scholarships. Maybe in the recruiting process, they told potential recruits they would offer a partial now with a full scholarship to follow which might have some effect. In general, though, I suspect all the top recruits, the ones who could play as freshmen, already have a full ride.

I agree. But it may allow some advantages in the transfer area. Like this kid Shell from Pitt. or a juco player. A scholar ship may make Georgia Southern or App. State a little more attractive to some of those guys.

ElCid
April 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
I think the conference can be broken down into 3 tiers.

Top tier in no particular order - This pretty much mirrors what others have but I think all 4 have potential to take it. There are some serious defenses in this group. Other than Wofford, who has recent history on their side, the other three just need a little momentum early on to make it happen.
UTC
The Citadel
Samford
Wofford

Next, all by itself:
Furman - above the rest but not quite ready to contend yet

Bottom:
WCU - I think they are better but no threat other than a surprise victory
Elon

CID1990
April 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
I think the conference can be broken down into 3 tiers.

Top tier in no particular order - This pretty much mirrors what others have but I think all 4 have potential to take it. There are some serious defenses in this group. Other than Wofford, who has recent history on their side, the other three just need a little momentum early on to make it happen.
UTC
The Citadel
Samford
Wofford

Next, all by itself:
Furman - above the rest but not quite ready to contend yet

Bottom:
WCU - I think they are better but no threat other than a surprise victory
Elon

Well, Wofford's schedule has them in Charleston the second week of the season. I like our chances at breaking their streak.

ElCid
April 3rd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Well, Wofford's schedule has them in Charleston the second week of the season. I like our chances at breaking their streak.

I like our chances this year as well. We have to excise that Terrier demon once and for all. I also like having Samford and Furman at home.

CID1990
April 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I like our chances this year as well. We have to excise that Terrier demon once and for all. I also like having Samford and Furman at home.

Samford reminds me of the Furple of old. They could win the SoCon outright this year, even with ASU and GSU in the mix. Glad we have them in Charleston.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Samford reminds me of the Furple of old. They could win the SoCon outright this year, even with ASU and GSU in the mix. Glad we have them in Charleston.

I picked Samford but as was said the top 4 are a pick'em and I know they have the same attributes as the other three to varying degrees but the O Line (from what I remember) sort of gives them a little push. Plus I figured most people would be going with Wofford, Chatty, & The Cit and wanted to go against the grain.

Furman will knock off one or two of the 4 and that is gonna be a real interesting conference race I think. Really would love to see The Citadel pull it out this year though.

SU DOG
April 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
The Samford defense will be our ace-in-the hole this year, AND we return most of our skill folks(esp. Summerlin, Pope and Truss) on offense. This defense, however, should really be a lock-down group. A couple of FBS xfers on our defensive unit have just looked insanely good so far this spring, and our secondary, with an AA safety, could arguably be the best in the conference. I am an excited Samford fan, but I do not make bold predictions, as I realize we have yet to prove we can get to that next level. I firmly believe though, that we do have a chance for that this season.

GATA_Eagles
April 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Be wary of Samford. I think they will finally get over the hump this year

CID1990
April 3rd, 2013, 04:55 PM
The Samford defense will be our ace-in-the hole this year, AND we return most of our skill folks(esp. Summerlin, Pope and Truss) on offense. This defense, however, should really be a lock-down group. A couple of FBS xfers on our defensive unit have just looked insanely good so far this spring, and our secondary, with an AA safety, could arguably be the best in the conference. I am an excited Samford fan, but I do not make bold predictions, as I realize we have yet to prove we can get to that next level. I firmly believe though, that we do have a chance for that this season.

Chattown is not going to approve of this post. Everybody knows Chatty has the best defense since Julius Caesar.

walliver
April 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM
Chattown is not going to approve of this post. Everybody knows Chatty has the best defense since Julius Caesar.

And the best offense since Atilla the Hun.

asumike83
April 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
To be fair, UTC is the 4X defending SoCon champion, unless I missed something. No need to be snarky.

seantaylor
April 4th, 2013, 01:57 AM
I agree that we are about to see a good bit of transfers coming our way. Don't like transfer usually, but we need to take advantage of this rule while still in effect.

elcid83
April 4th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I guess I'm the only one who is curious as to why there are so many Georgia Southern and App State posts in this thread. Shouldn't they move along with their programs to the Sunbelt boards? Citadel is certainly lining up to have the best team they have had since 1992 [the Bulldogs only lost to Marshall that year]. That team had lots of experienced players. This is the first Citadel team I can remember having so much returning talent. They will have to beat Wofford to get it done and I'm beginning to think the cadets need to take some kind of extraordinary action to assist in this process. I wouldn't be so quick to count out Furman as I expect Coach Fowler will be feeling some heat to show improvement in his third season there.

Go Bulldogs!

Apphole
April 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I guess I'm the only one who is curious as to why there are so many Georgia Southern and App State posts in this thread. Shouldn't they move along with their programs to the Sunbelt boards?

I guess I'm curious as to why a fan of a school that's never been a SoCon member would want to enforce a "SoCon only" rule.

asumike83
April 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Appalachian and Georgia Southern are playing full SoCon schedules in 2013 and are members of the SoCon until July 1, 2014. May as well get used to their fans posting in SoCon threads for a while.

I think Wofford/El Cid are the front-runners. Samford and UTC will have very solid defenses and should have a shot as well if they can score points.

fc97
April 4th, 2013, 10:15 AM
so in other words you arent part of the football conference as of the announcement and because you play all the conference schools but arent part of it, because you still are for all other sports means that you guys should talk about it like you are?

got it

ElCid
April 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Appalachian and Georgia Southern are playing full SoCon schedules in 2013 and are members of the SoCon until July 1, 2014. May as well get used to their fans posting in SoCon threads for a while.

I think Wofford/El Cid are the front-runners. Samford and UTC will have very solid defenses and should have a shot as well if they can score points.

I sure hope you are right. I have a good feeling, but Samford is solid and UTC is dangerous if they get their act together. It will a strange situation with ASU and GS out of the picture.

asumike83
April 4th, 2013, 10:25 AM
so in other words you arent part of the football conference as of the announcement and because you play all the conference schools but arent part of it, because you still are for all other sports means that you guys should talk about it like you are?

got it

We are part of the football conference. SBC membership is not effective until July, 2014. ODU was still a CAA member last season, even though they weren't eligible for the title.

Either way, I don't see the big deal. Montana and NDSU fans have posted in here as well. I will continue to follow the SoCon even though Appalachian is on the way out the door.

chattownmocs
April 4th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Let's actually look at some recent league records when discussing these teams. There seems to be a delusional sentiment that The Citadel is good, or has been good recently.

Since 09

Wofford 21-11
Chattanooga 17-15
Elon 16-16
Furman 15-17
Samford 14-18
The Citadel 10-22
Western Carolina 2-10

So, as you can see, The Citadel sucks. Please stop with the nonsense.

The Cats
April 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I guess I'm the only one who is curious as to why there are so many Georgia Southern and App State posts in this thread. Shouldn't they move along with their programs to the Sunbelt boards?

Some, not all, of the ASU posters scour all the boards on the ready to answer any real or perceived diggs at ASU. They will not leave, ever. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

As one of them said, you'll have to just get used to it.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Some, not all, of the ASU posters scour all the boards on the ready to answer any real or perceived diggs at ASU. They will not leave, ever. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

As one of them said, you'll have to just get used to it.

I don't get this **** of thinking they should leave? Why the hell should they leave? A lot of these posters have done more for this board and made many friends than some of the rest of you guys telling them they ought to beat it.

This place is about FCS football but it's also about a lot of other things as well and they will always be welcome here. Some of the dumbest **** I ever see is people saying "you can't comment on this because you are not a fan of..." and this attitude seems to cross over here.

If anyone wants comments from one particular fan base then why would these threads be posted on a national message board?

ASU fans defend slights against their team? What fan base worth it's salt wouldn't do that? I'd feel pretty bad for any team that had fans that were so lax and passionless that they wouldn't do that.

That is not specifically aimed at you The Cats it's aimed at all the dumbass comments that I've seen over the last couple weeks. I guess you can all make those comments if you wish but it just looks fairly petty to me.

CID1990
April 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I guess I'm the only one who is curious as to why there are so many Georgia Southern and App State posts in this thread. Shouldn't they move along with their programs to the Sunbelt boards? Citadel is certainly lining up to have the best team they have had since 1992 [the Bulldogs only lost to Marshall that year]. That team had lots of experienced players. This is the first Citadel team I can remember having so much returning talent. They will have to beat Wofford to get it done and I'm beginning to think the cadets need to take some kind of extraordinary action to assist in this process. I wouldn't be so quick to count out Furman as I expect Coach Fowler will be feeling some heat to show improvement in his third season there.

Go Bulldogs!

You forgot that we also lost to Youngstown St in the semifinals that year. (They went on to play Marshall in the championship game.)

As for Wofford, they will be solid as usual, but I think this years team might be their weakest in the last 5-10 years.

The team that really concerns me this year is Samford, closely followed by UTC. Wofford could well be the 4th place team this year. Or, Ayers could do like he always does and overachieve.

walliver
April 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
There are some worries about our 2013 team, but I think we will do well. With EB gone, I think we will actually run a more traditional triple option, and now have young QB's capable of running the TO. Of course, with young QB's you never know what to expect.

Citadel is now in the fourth year of the TO, and the young freshmen who were embarrassed 3 years ago are now experienced seniors. The Bulldogs, however, need something more than a moral victory over GSU.

Samford gets a little better every year, but still has trouble with ASU and GSU (everybody does of course, buit the better SoCon teams do win a few against them - I'm hoping the T-dogs send ASU out with a 3 game losing streak)

Chatty on paper should be at the top, but Huesman can't seem to win the big games. This could be the year that changes, but I have a gut feeling it isn't.

Furman could be a spoiler, but is still a year or two away.

WCU is WCU.

Elon will probably struggle.

I predict GSU will finish with one loss (not to ASU), and the Appies will have two losses.

elcid83
April 6th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I guess I'm curious as to why a fan of a school that's never been a SoCon member would want to enforce a "SoCon only" rule.

I guess your limited college education didn't allow you to understand that I'm a Citadel grad that also pulls for Gardner-Webb because my son plays there. Now, take your pansy *** to the Sunbelt board.

elcid83
April 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Sorry 90. I didn't forget we lost to Youngstown St. that year - I was at that game. I meant to say in the regular season. By the way, Coach Ayers doesn't overachieve - he coaches his *** off. Here's hoping Coach Higgins is one day able to coach at the same level.

Go Bulldogs!

Ivytalk
April 6th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I went with Wofford, although I was tempted to pick Samford as the upset winner.

CID1990
April 6th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Sorry 90. I didn't forget we lost to Youngstown St. that year - I was at that game. I meant to say in the regular season. By the way, Coach Ayers doesn't overachieve - he coaches his *** off. Here's hoping Coach Higgins is one day able to coach at the same level.

Go Bulldogs!

I guess what I meant to convey is that he coaches overachievement from his teams.

Reign of Terrier
April 7th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Wofford returns most of the defense, and most of the offense with the exception of EB. We will likely have consistency at QB. I highly doubt we finish 4th in this field.

Wofford will likely be picked top 2 to win conference with App and GSU out of the picture.

We always play El Cid better in Chuck town, and it will be a nightish game (6:00) so the heat won't be so bad. Chatty and Furman on the road bothers me though. Samford doesn't bother me. What also bothers me is if we can't get teams to join conference by next year, we'll only have 2 home conference games and 4 away. I doubt that will be an issue when the time comes but still.

Wofford will be a contender yet again this year. We would be a contender even if GSU and App qualified for the championship. We're a regular playoff and Socon contender, having finished in the top 2 or tied for first in conference 5 of the last 6 years, including 3 Socon championships. We haven't lost a home game to a team that wasn't GSU since 2009, and that was when we were battered into coco butter injury-wise.

seantaylor
April 7th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Wofford wouldn't be a contender if GSU and Appy weren't ineligible. Stop fronting. Woffie should win the Socon this year, though.

fc97
April 7th, 2013, 07:11 AM
gsu and app are inelugible, eos. Whata coulda woulda doesnt matter so shut up

Apphole
April 7th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I guess your limited college education didn't allow you to understand that I'm a Citadel grad that also pulls for Gardner-Webb because my son plays there. Now, take your pansy *** to the Sunbelt board.

My education gave me the best four years of my life, a good job right out of school and a solid foundation for law school. Go **** Yosef.

What is it about CID fans? Ever since we started making FBS a reality it's been nothing but white-hot hatred.

Apphole
April 7th, 2013, 10:43 AM
gsu and app are inelugible, eos. Whata coulda woulda doesnt matter so shut up

If only App was ineligable 2009. That would have given Elon a championship! Since you guys are in the cellar again though, I guess that's just whata coulda woulda.

walliver
April 7th, 2013, 10:52 AM
If only App was ineligable 2009. That would have given Elon a championship! Since you guys are in the cellar again though, I guess that's just whata coulda woulda.

And if GSU, ASU, Wofford, FU, Citadel, Samford, Chatty, and Elon were ineligible, WCU would be perennial champions.

fc97
April 7th, 2013, 01:03 PM

that's just a stupid comment to make.

no one is talking about 2009 or elon. if you wanna create some small, at least put your back into and make some rather than trying to force create it.

coulda woulda shoulda doesnt matter, to the rest of us youre an fbs game. great if we win and who cares if we lose. and you should count yourselves lucky we allowed you to keep 8 of your scheduled games. cause we coulda kicked your football teams out and worked out deals to play other schools. hey, that would give you guys something legitimate to be the victims out for once.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2013, 02:14 PM
You guys wouldn't forfeit the gate we bring. You don't care if you lose vs. App or GSU next year? No one believes that, even you.

fc97
April 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM
You guys wouldn't forfeit the gate we bring. You don't care if you lose vs. App or GSU next year? No one believes that, even you.

at this point, app and gsu are non-fcs programs. if any socon team wins thenits gravy and if we dont then its a throwaway.

app brings in a good gate, gsu wont. so yeah, overall who cares. the games are throwaways.

walliver
April 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
The ASU and GSU games are not "throw aways".

1) Remaining teams still need 7 D-1 wins for an at-large bid.
2) Both teams are beatable. ASU lost two home games last year to schools that are staying. GSU lost to ElCid and was taken to 3 OT's by Chatty.

CID1990
April 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Nobody's road attendance stands out in Charleston. Heck CSU shows up as strong as anybody.

Now, if you're talking about Burlington I hear ya.

CID1990
April 7th, 2013, 09:19 PM
My education gave me the best four years of my life, a good job right out of school and a solid foundation for law school. Go **** Yosef.

What is it about CID fans? Ever since we started making FBS a reality it's been nothing but white-hot hatred.

Oh boo hoo you're the martyr.

It ain't ASU. It's just U.

Saint3333
April 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM
at this point, app and gsu are non-fcs programs. if any socon team wins thenits gravy and if we dont then its a throwaway.

app brings in a good gate, gsu wont. so yeah, overall who cares. the games are throwaways.

Technically we are FCS members this year. We received no benefit from this recruiting season and the additional scholarships we will offer will go to preferred walkons.

The App game will be circled on the calendar before the season starts, your head coach said as much when he took the job.

dgtw
April 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Will the Appy and GSU games count in the standings?

Saint3333
April 7th, 2013, 09:40 PM
From everthing I've read, yes.

Sandlapper Spike
April 7th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Yes, they will.

ASU_Fanatic
April 7th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'm gonna say Citadel wins it

seantaylor
April 8th, 2013, 02:07 AM
The ASU and GSU games are not "throw aways".

1) Remaining teams still need 7 D-1 wins for an at-large bid.
2) Both teams are beatable. ASU lost two home games last year to schools that are staying. GSU lost to ElCid and was taken to 3 OT's by Chatty.

GSU also went on the road and made it to the semifinals again. Losing to the eventual NC in the last minute. Wofford, last year, had nowhere near that resume. This year, without their best player of all time, won't be nearly as good. But, still could win the Socon because of the sanctions.

fc97
April 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Technically we are FCS members this year. We received no benefit from this recruiting season and the additional scholarships we will offer will go to preferred walkons.

The App game will be circled on the calendar before the season starts, your head coach said as much when he took the job.

the app game has been circled for a decade, where's that gotten us? difference is youve had two years recruiting fbs players with the promise of being fbs. you may be classified as fcs, but from the real standpoint, you arent and committee will weight it as such.

Tribal
April 8th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Wofford........

Apphole
April 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
and you should count yourselves lucky we allowed you to keep 8 of your scheduled games.

xlolx As if you have a choice at all.

The rage you express in every App related post is remarkable. I absolutely love it.

http://www.southparkfansite.zoomshare.com/album/South%20Park/images/5337519558d600459605d37d59701a37_11397101930/image.gif

Saint3333
April 8th, 2013, 09:49 AM
the app game has been circled for a decade, where's that gotten us? difference is youve had two years recruiting fbs players with the promise of being fbs. you may be classified as fcs, but from the real standpoint, you arent and committee will weight it as such.

Do you really think that? I appreciate the credit you're giving, but it sounds like you're making an excuse before the season starts.

The playoff committee will not look differently upon a win or loss to App or GSU than they have in the past.

asumike83
April 8th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I don't see App or GSU running the table, a remaining SoCon member will beat at least one (and likely both) of them this season. While the possibility of going FBS could have helped in recruiting, that has been the case for a few years now.

Another thing to consider is that with no postseason in 2013, there will likely be more redshirts given out than usual, so a number of freshmen with the talent to make an impact won't see the field.

CID1990
April 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM

Beating App and GSU would be a D1 win as always.

I personally wouldn't care if they were playoff and conference title eligible. I know, they'll have a disqualifying number of scholarships, but I don't see that making a huge difference this season.