PDA

View Full Version : Iamarino says the SOCON had options

chattownmocs
March 27th, 2013, 07:36 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/mar/27/iamarino-says-socon-has-good-options/?sportsColumns

Calm down everybody. Big bird says everything is going to be ok.

chattownmocs
March 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Its time for Chattanooa to make its move to the OVC. Maybe Western could tag along.

Smitty
March 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Man there was a ton of Chatt love in that article...

walliver
March 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I'm afraid his dream of a basketball powerhouse league is unrealistic, there just aren't many prominent mid-major teams in our footprint who don't already have good homes. FGCU is on the rise, but probably wouldn't stay long before moving on.

Accelerati Incredibilus
March 27th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Its time for Chattanooa to make its move to the OVC. Maybe Western could tag along.

That is the first thing you've said that makes sense. There is a glimmer of hope for you after all.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 27th, 2013, 08:41 AM
It would be nuts for UTC to leave the SoCon for the OVC. The SoCon isn't going to become nothing in the eyes of the playoff committee just because you no longer have Southern and App.

Let me put this in perspective for you. Wofford is the only team not named Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, or Marshall has won an outright title since 1993 and they have done that one time. Since Marshall left GSU and App. State have won at least a share of 15 of the last 16 last SoCon titles. There is now a gaping hole at the top for other SoCon teams to fill similar to what there was for GSU and App. when Marshall left. There is now going to be more opportunities for Wofford to get playoff seeds and for programs like Chatt, El Cid, Elon, and Samford to get at-large bids and move up the ladder.

Absolutely no reason to consider the OVC.

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Jacksonville State

They were formerly a central topic in FBS realignment, but I have not heard a word about them in a while. Are they still short timers, or has that train left the station?

chattownmocs
March 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM
It would be nuts for UTC to leave the SoCon for the OVC. The SoCon isn't going to become nothing in the eyes of the playoff committee just because you no longer have Southern and App.

Let me put this in perspective for you. Wofford is the only team not named Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, or Marshall has won an outright title since 1993 and they have done that one time. Since Marshall left GSU and App. State have won at least a share of 15 of the last 16 last SoCon titles. There is now a gaping hole at the top for other SoCon teams to fill similar to what there was for GSU and App. when Marshall left. There is now going to be more opportunities for Wofford to get playoff seeds and for programs like Chatt, El Cid, Elon, and Samford to get at-large bids and move up the ladder.

Absolutely no reason to consider the OVC.

Better basketball league, Better football league, better travel, more natural rivals. Only possible reason to stay would be football recruiting territory, and that is only if they add Georgia schools.

walliver
March 27th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Better basketball league, Better football league, better travel, more natural rivals. Only possible reason to stay would be football recruiting territory, and that is only if they add Georgia schools.

If better football mean very few playoff wins and scattered at-large bids, then the OVC is the hands-down winner.

The OVC makes some geographic sense for UTC, but, if the SoCon adds Mercer and Kennsaw, that puts Chatty near the center of the conference, especially if the BB divisions are changed from North/South to East/West.

chattownmocs
March 27th, 2013, 09:59 AM
If better football mean very few playoff wins and scattered at-large bids, then the OVC is the hands-down winner.

The OVC makes some geographic sense for UTC, but, if the SoCon adds Mercer and Kennsaw, that pits Chatty near the center of the conference, especially if the BB divisions are changed from North/South to East/West.

If you haven't noticed Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are leaving. What does the whole Football conversation look like then? Even by the biggest haters point of view we are at worst the 3rd best program left at this point. We jump to the OVC, it is definitely a better conference.

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM

The OVC makes some geographic sense for UTC, but, if the SoCon adds Mercer and Kennsaw, that puts Chatty near the center of the conference, especially if the BB divisions are changed from North/South to East/West.

I noticed he did not mention baseball, probably the SoCon's strongest sport, in which UTC does not field a team.

chattownmocs
March 27th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I noticed he did not mention baseball, probably the SoCon's strongest sport, in which UTC does not field a team.

Exactly. Why would I mention it?

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Huh? You think the SoCon falls below the OVC without GSU and App?

chattownmocs
March 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Huh? You think the SoCon falls below the OVC without GSU and App?

Its close enough that whoever had chattanooga would be better.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2013, 02:25 PM

That would be the case even if ASU & GSU were staying. xlolx

The OVC has made stips forward in the last couple of years and they may be making that step up the ladder a more permanent thing but it's pretty early to tell on that point right now. The Socon is still there right now even without ASU and GSU. Samford, Wofford, Furman, Elon, and the Citadel (recently) are still above the top 5 in the OVC even without Chatty at this point. Now on Bball I'm not too up on that front so I'll have to leave myself out of that one.

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Yes the perennial 4-5th place team in the SoCon is a repository of paper strength.

Sent from the center of the universe.

The Moody1
March 27th, 2013, 04:49 PM
SoCon Response:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino released the following statement regarding Southern Conference membership:

“Today’s announcements by the Sun Belt Conference are no surprise to us. To their credit, the principal administrators at Appalachian State and Georgia Southern and the Sun Belt commissioner have continually kept our office apprised of developments throughout the process.

“While we’re disappointed to be losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, the Southern Conference cannot provide the platform their football programs are seeking. We’ll wish them well when they depart.

“Our membership discussions with our presidents, chancellors and athletic directors will continue as they have for the past 18 months and figure to be more focused on specific options with this most recent development. There are quality institutions interested in speaking with us regarding conference membership, and our options remain solid.”

dgtw
March 27th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Jacksonville State

They were formerly a central topic in FBS realignment, but I have not heard a word about them in a while. Are they still short timers, or has that train left the station?

Still hoping for the call, but it looks like they'd prefer flying to Idaho than a bus trip to Jacksonville.

I do not like being in the OVC. It is more basketball-centric and they have too mnay non-football members along with Tennessee State's Homer Plessey schedule. I'd love to jump to the SoCon, would anyone be interested in that?

WestCoastAggie
March 27th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Is the SoCon considering any MEAC institutions for membership?

fc97
March 27th, 2013, 07:39 PM
none seriously. sc state expressed interest but the financials arent there. a&t not interested now with the current administration. hampton was interested year ago but doesnt appear to be now. delaware state is interested, but there is no interest from conference members.

CID1990
March 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Is the SoCon considering any MEAC institutions for membership?

SCSU is a basket case right now. Otherwise they would probably get a serious look.

Someone on our board floated the possibility of Tennessee State, but that's not MEAC, is it?

The Cats
March 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Today's teleconference conducted after ASU and GSU's announcements to leave the SoCon

Commissioner John Iamarino's Teleconference (http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/audio/Commissioner_Iamarino_Teleconference_March_27_2013 .mp3?DB_OEM_ID=4000)

WestCoastAggie
March 27th, 2013, 09:59 PM
SCSU is a basket case right now. Otherwise they would probably get a serious look.

Someone on our board floated the possibility of Tennessee State, but that's not MEAC, is it?

Tenn. State is in the OVC. They would give you a chance to tap into the Nashville Market but being an HBCU and wanting to maintain relationships with Jackson State, FAMU and playing up to 4 HBCU's yearly, I don't really know if they would "fit" into what the SoCon is looking for.

FAMU is having issues similar to SC State right now from what I was told.

Honestly, if the SoCon, BSC or CAA are looking at any MEAC schools, they would have to be Bethune-Cookman, Delaware State, Hampton, Norfolk State, or a package deal between A&T and NCCU.

Speaking of which, some schools that could be approached by the SoCon are Ala. State and Jackson State. I figure once the Atlantic Sun start football again, those two will be targets for that new football conference.

BigSouthFB
March 27th, 2013, 11:51 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/27/in-fcs-huddle-expect-swift-movement-from-southern-conference/

Adding 5 supposedly. Mercer/KSU ETSU/VMI and Coastal. not to bad. sadly I think this spells the end for the BSC and KK. Liberty needs to jump ship quick and go to the CAA.

Go...gate
March 28th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Where does this leave Liberty? It would seem to me that their moving to the SoCon would be a good thing. I know they want to go FBS but can they handle it economically?

BigSouthFB
March 28th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Where does this leave Liberty? It would seem to me that their moving to the SoCon would be a good thing. I know they want to go FBS but can they handle it economically?
No mention of Liberty in that article which is what is troublesome for liberty. They aren't even on the SoCons radar. if Coastal and VMI leave there goes your EQ. and Kyle K. the commish does not have the mental capacity to actually find regional schools willing to deal with his crap in his conference. Liberty is in a Bad place. I would assume they go BEG Yeager to join the CAA. either that or Flirt with the MAC hard core. Sunbelt is clearly not interested.
Financially Liberty (hypothetically) would be the second largest budget in the sunbelt at last count. They have been ready for at least a year now. and they have more stadium expansion coming next fall. If anyone is ready its them. however with their background and political convictions I think a lot of University presidents are doing everything they can to block them. Which is sad because Liberty does have a lot to offer and has changed dramatically since Jerry Sr. passed away.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 05:00 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/27/in-fcs-huddle-expect-swift-movement-from-southern-conference/

Adding 5 supposedly. Mercer/KSU ETSU/VMI and Coastal. not to bad. sadly I think this spells the end for the BSC and KK. Liberty needs to jump ship quick and go to the CAA.

I think that makes a lot of sense for the SoCon but I wouldn't read too much into it. It almost makes too much sense, the schools are only listed as options. I'm not sure 1) that they will add 5 teams and 2) some of the (asinine) barriers of entry for Coastal will be removed.

Of those schools, Coastal is the best football program and would be one of the better overall athletic programs. Coastal has a similar institutional profile as ETSU and KSU.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 05:01 AM

I think Liberty is a non-starter in the SoCon because they have expressed interest in moving up to the FBS at first opportunity. I don't think a conference would want to invite that instability.

walliver
March 28th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I think Liberty is a non-starter in the SoCon because they have expressed interest in moving up to the FBS at first opportunity. I don't think a conference would want to invite that instability.

That, not the Jerry Falwell aspect, is the reason Liberty to unattractive to other FBS leagues. The Big South needs the numbers to maintain their auto-bid, but none of the other conferences do.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Adding 4 football scholarship schools would be a total of 11, right? Would that be attractive from a scheduling perspective? I assume yes since each school would only need to fill 1 out of conference game a year, 2 during a 12 game season.

WestCoastAggie
March 28th, 2013, 07:27 AM
A potential problem for the SoCon is the A-Sun seriously considering and planning sponsoring football very soon.

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM
A potential problem for the SoCon is the A-Sun seriously considering and planning sponsoring football very soon.

Isn't the talk more of partnering with the Big South? I don't see it as a problem for the SoCon, but rather a way to appease A-Sun members that want to play scholarship football. I assumed that would only be a few, how many schools do you think the A-Sun will get to play scholarship football?

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Isn't the talk more of partnering with the Big South? I don't see it as a problem for the SoCon, but rather a way to appease A-Sun members that want to play scholarship football. I assumed that would only be a few, how many schools do you think the A-Sun will get to play scholarship football?

I don't see the A-Sun as competition. I think the A-Sun is more worried about the SoCon poaching their schools than the other way round.

BigSouthFB
March 28th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I don't see the A-Sun as competition. I think the A-Sun is more worried about the SoCon poaching their schools than the other way round.

this. A-SUN will lose KSU, ETSU and Mercer. I think its more likely the two conferences(BSC and ASun) just merge. and possibly add campbell, JU and Stetson to the scholly football fold.

Saint3333
March 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM

That would be great for the SoCon, good schools with athletic potential (other than VMI, but great school). I have to wonder if they do add five do they expect 1 or 2 more to leave?

rokamortis
March 28th, 2013, 08:00 AM
That would be great for the SoCon, good schools with athletic potential (other than VMI, but great school). I have to wonder if they do add five do they expect 1 or 2 more to leave?

Even if they don't expect them to leave it helps provide a buffer.

BigSouthFB
March 28th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Even if they don't expect them to leave it helps provide a buffer.

agreed. even though I think can have its pick from any of the schools playing non scholly football right now I wouldn't expect any more defections anytime soon. This is just a buffer while adding quality to the conference.

fc97
March 28th, 2013, 08:18 AM
don't be so sure on kennesaw or etsu now.

the socon has said that it and the member institutions are going to choose members based on a basketball focus first. mercer fits that, kennesaw and etsu now do not. vmi isnt even close.

kdinva
March 28th, 2013, 08:29 AM
the socon has said that it and the member institutions are going to choose members based on a basketball focus first.....vmi isnt even close.

oh, yeah! We beat you this December, and will again at your place this coming Winter........and others. We stunk it up in McCallister in November. ElCid knows if our hoops teams met again tomorrow, we'd win by 12+.

BigSouthFB
March 28th, 2013, 08:52 AM
oh, yeah! We beat you this December, and will again at your place this coming Winter........and others. We stunk it up in McCallister in November. ElCid knows if our hoops teams met again tomorrow, we'd win by 12+.
kdinva question, I remember hearing that VMI athletes have to go through regular PT even when in season on top of their teams workouts. is that still the case? I remember feeling like it was part of the reason your guys tended to be a little worse for the wear towards the end of their season especially in football. I haven't been to games since I graduated and I could very well be wrong. but I was just curious as it could be a factor in performance in season.

walliver
March 28th, 2013, 09:03 AM
don't be so sure on kennesaw or etsu now.

the socon has said that it and the member institutions are going to choose members based on a basketball focus first. mercer fits that, kennesaw and etsu now do not. vmi isnt even close.

I don't really believe that. Iamarino may want that, but I suspect all the schools that play real football (everybody other than Davidson and UNC-G) will want at least two new members to have decent football.

kdinva
March 28th, 2013, 09:08 AM
kdinva question, I remember hearing that VMI athletes have to go through regular PT even when in season on top of their teams workouts. is that still the case?

It was during the '70s & '80s.......and Rat athletes don't get any slack during sweat parties (same for Citadel, I am confident).

walliver
March 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
It was during the '70s & '80s.......and Rat athletes don't get any slack during sweat parties (same for Citadel, I am confident).

Since most freshmen either redshirt or ride the bench, that really isn't a big issue.

BigSouthFB
March 28th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Since most freshmen either redshirt or ride the bench, that really isn't a big issue.

ok thanks for clarifying. I know I always enjoyed coming up to lexington for football games. I'll be up there at the MU VMI lax game the 14th.

kdinva
March 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM

it's an issue for the Rats who do play (FB and BB),

In 2012, the FB team redshirted more rats (10) than those who played (7)........that hasn't happened since............I don't know!