PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth redux

RichH2
March 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
First, I apologize for resurrecting this dead dog. A serious question tho.
Lehigh Dean of Business now Pres of MU. Will this alter the landscape on expansion?

Dane96
March 15th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Huh?

Why?

How?

Is your question really: Will Monmouth now be up for PL expansion?!?! If so, I would suppose this doesn't hurt...but it won't put them over the precipice simply because the Former Dean of the Business School at Lehigh is the new President at Monmouth. Results matter...not just sames. I would presume the PL won't move on Monmouth until they get the stick out of their collective asses and, at the same time, Monmouth ratchets up their academics/admissions.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Every president has a different, personal philosophy on athletics that won't become apparent until later. One would hope he was a regular at Lehigh/Lafayette football games and see the value that brings to a university, but not necessarily.

Dane96
March 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Very true. His biggest hurdle, however will be the community. We all know the CAA said: BIGGER STADIUM. The facility upgrades are nice...but they want size. So, without getting the community to buy in he won't get the ok to build a 10,000 seat place. That leaves the PL...an obvious choice for Monmouth.

However, are the remaining PL Presidents on board with this concept?

Seahawks Fan
March 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I doubt that West Long Branch would ever approve a large on-campus stadium. The access to the school (Rte 71) cannot handle that kind of traffic. A couple of miles east of the campus is Fort Monmouth, a closed Army facility. That would be a logical place for athletic expansion.

JMG1MON
March 17th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I can say with about 99.99999% certainty that WLB would not approve a bigger stadium. They are trying to upgrade the press box and are still awaiting WLB approval!! WLB fought a 4500 seat basketball stadium. Ten thousand seat football stadium??? No chance!

Pard4Life
March 18th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Lafayette may be scheduling Monmouth as their 12th game on August 31. Paul Reinhard discussed them as "one of" a possibility in his blog.

blackbeard
March 18th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Lafayette may be scheduling Monmouth as their 12th game on August 31. Paul Reinhard discussed them as "one of" a possibility in his blog.

That would be tough since Monmouth has already annouced their 12 game schedule with a trip to Montana St in week 1.

http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=67823&SPID=7664&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206627561&DB_OEM_ID=14300

Dave195
March 18th, 2013, 09:05 AM
To my knowledge, MU's plans were to probably go to the Patriot League in 5 years anyway and the hiring of Brown helps their cause. They will be adding scholarships and improving the stadium in the meantime. Everyone is correct about the capacity though. WLB will fight MU big time on adding capacity, like they did w/ the MAC. That being said, I have been told that like current President Gaffney, President Brown will also place some emphasis on athletics. He was also involved in athletics @ Lehigh to some extent I read... just can't find the article saying what his involvement was. I'll keep looking.

Pard4Life
March 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM
That would be tough since Monmouth has already annouced their 12 game schedule with a trip to Montana St in week 1.

http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=67823&SPID=7664&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206627561&DB_OEM_ID=14300

Oh good, so I guess Monmouth was out of the running. No offense to the Monmouth crowd, but I am kind of hoping for a CAA team or a travel (ie non-bus trip) game.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 18th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Oh good, so I guess Monmouth was out of the running. No offense to the Monmouth crowd, but I am kind of hoping for a CAA team or a travel (ie non-bus trip) game.

Get in line, pal.

Pard4Life
March 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Get in line, pal.

No need, we've actually achieved a real schedule as desired above in the recent past.

Go...gate
March 24th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I can say with about 99.99999% certainty that WLB would not approve a bigger stadium. They are trying to upgrade the press box and are still awaiting WLB approval!! WLB fought a 4500 seat basketball stadium. Ten thousand seat football stadium??? No chance!

West Long Branch has among the most strict zoning and planning boards in New Jersey. Last time MU wanted to add dormitory space it was heavily litigated, though the school prevailed.