PDA

View Full Version : Bearkat Suffers Heart Attack

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Thoughts and prayers to Kats DL Jake Benoist who suffered a heart attack after complaining about chest pains while eating dinner with fellow teammates. We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for a speedy recovery for Benoist...

--------
Bearkat football notes & quotes

Benoist doing well after suffering heart attack — Jake Benoist, a junior defensive lineman for the Bearkats, was still in a Bryan hospital Tuesday, but according to Whitten, he was feeling much better. On Monday night, teammates took Benoist to Huntsville Memorial Hospital after Benoist complained of chest pains while going to eat dinner.

Turns out that Benoist, who’s 21, suffered a heart attack. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital in Bryan where he underwent balloon angioplasty.

“They don’t know why it happened, they’re running tests,” Whitten said after practice Tuesday. “Jake looked good and he was in good spirits this afternoon.

“My hat’s off to the Huntsville hospital. They got him in the proper hands and didn’t waste any time doing it. It’s odd for someone that young to have a heart attack, but according to the doctors, there was very, very little damage done.”

Whitten said it is way too early to predict Benoist’s football future. Benoist is a two-year letterman who has played both on defense and special teams.

Last fall, the graduate of Southlake Carroll High School was a backup defensive lineman who made three tackles for losses and one sack. In his freshman season, he lettered as backup defensive end and special teams player and was credited with 11 tackles and three quarterback pressures.

Benoist earned All-North Texas, All-Northeast Tarrant County and All-District 7-5A on coach Todd Dodge’s 16-0 state championship team in 2002.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_242004201.html?keyword=topstory

mikebigg
August 30th, 2006, 07:46 AM
My prayers go out to this young man and his family...the entire Bearkat Family. So thankful that he was able to get treatment in time.

blackfordpu
August 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
It is strange because he was not a big out of shape guy. Had nice size but his height and weight are where an in shape DL should be, maybe smaller.

93 Jake Benoist DE 6-4 253 Jr-2L Southlake / Carroll

Best of luck to him for a speedy recovery.

UCABEARS75
August 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
This is one of the things I hate about football, the injuries and stress related illnesses.

My thought and prayers are with this young man and I hope for a full and speedy recovery.

GrizFoo
August 30th, 2006, 11:08 AM
That just makes you feel awful and take note of what is really important.

Good luck to the kid in making a full recovery and hopefully they find what the deal was and get him fixed so he can live a full and healthy life. Could be a blessing in disguise if they find something wrong that they can easily correct.

My thoughts are with the SHSU team and especially Benoit and his family.

dbackjon
August 30th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Best of luck on a speedy recovery - glad he had the sense to complain/realize what was happening before it was too late.

slostang
August 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM
My thought and prayers are with him, his family and team. I hope he makes a 100% recovery.

elkmcc
August 30th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Sincere wishes of a speedy recovery from Montana.

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Another turn in the Benoist health situation as he had to be hospitalized for some testeing...

Here's the update on Benoist from the Huntsville Item...

Notes: Tight end Jake Benoist, who suffered a heart attack at the beginning of fall practice, had to be hospitalized earlier this week. He is currently with his family in Dallas undergoing test to find out what is causing his heart problems.

“Jake had another episode with his heart a couple of nights ago and had to be taken to College Station. He didn’t have another heart attack, but something happened. He is stable and in Dallas undergoing tests and hopefully they can find out what is going on.”

kats89
September 22nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
It really sucks he is gone. Now with Branch out for the season and Benoist out, we are getting thin on the DL. This kid had a bright future. I just pray for his health and a full recovery.:nod:

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
That's one unlucky kid. What are the odds of having a heart attack at that age?

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2006, 07:06 AM
An article out of Nashville about Jake Benoist's brother who plays FB for Vandy, how close the brothers are and how Patrick has preserved to be a success despite the thoughts in the back of his mind about his brother's health...

Benoist plays every play like his last
By Brett Hait, [email protected]
October 06, 2006

Patrick Benoist has no trouble playing every play like it might be his last.

The Vanderbilt freshman linebacker needs only to think about his brother to know how fleeting football can be.

Jake Benoist, a junior defensive end at Sam Houston State, suffered a mysterious heart attack in August that doctors were unable to quickly diagnose. He has since dropped out of school and quit playing football to focus on returning to full health.

Meanwhile at Vanderbilt, Patrick Benoist plays with a heavy heart, but the seriousness of his brother’s situation hasn’t prevented him from quickly making his presence felt.

He has been a key reserve throughout the season, has excelled on special teams and posted a career-high eight tackles last week against Temple.

“Patrick has done a great job of putting things aside when he’s at practice and playing in games,” Coach Bobby Johnson said. “The main thing is his brother’s health for the rest of his life, not just playing football. A lot of those things have got to be weighing on Patrick, but he doesn’t let it bother him. You have to give him all the credit for that.”

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=7&screen=news&news_id=52552

nothingbutjsu
October 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Prayers are with you.