PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts about the NDSU AD and Buyouts (Poll Question on Buyouts)

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
First off let me state that NDSU fans getting all riled with MSU fans about the recent buyout is akin to me getting mad at the Goodyear tire company because the engine in my car blew up. I'm not mad at the fans of MSU. I' think the buyout their AD exercised stole from the fans of FCS what we are all wanting to see. Quality games with the teams that are in the top 25 of the FCS. This also takes away from the collegiate athletic experience of the players from both schools. Fiscally it may make sense and in this day and age if you only look at numbers there is no debate. But there is much more to this decision than just putting pencil to paper and crunching the numbers. If the rumors I've read about are true this came from the coaching staff at MSU that changes the discussion even more and begs the question from not only the fans MSU's players would have to be feeling slighted. If your own coach doesn't have the confidence in you to compete and win in a game like that what does that say about you as a player or him as a coach? This will also make scheduling OOC games with other teams in the future harder or at least it should given the track record he has shown to honor a contract. For those who want to throw out "he is honoring the contract" BS argument you know that is BS. It isn't an honorable thing to do this late in the game and you can argue it any way you want to slice it but it's bush league move. So with all that being said I'm going to turn this argument onto our AD and also ask a poll question on buyouts. Yeah I know the buyout debate has happened before but with this news it brings it right back to the forefront for debate and discussion.

Now my comments and questions about our AD Gene Taylor. One thing I've noticed about Gene's scheduling in the past is that he has often waited to the last minute to fill out our schedule and it hasn't always been due to a buyout. I can't necessarily fault him if someone backs out of a commitment but just getting a schedule done in general has seemed to take him longer than many other AD's. Part of that is/was due to NDSU being relatively new to the FCS and not having a lot of bargaining power. He doesn't have that excuse anymore. He does have to deal with teams however not wanting to come to Fargo given its a tough place to play. But with a home and home that should take that part of the argument out of the equation assuming the other AD honors their end of the Home and Home commitment. But I have to question our AD's thought process in scheduling now or hopefully it's changed. I hope he's changed the home and home agreements so the front end of the home and home is in Fargo period. I also hope he's learned from the past to make these buyouts so high it's not financially profitable for schools to buyout and still make money. I also hope he's adjusted future contracts or will make the adjustment that if a buyout was to be exercised it has to be done much much earlier than the middle of February of the year the game is to be played. I'd prefer at least 18 months in advance if not longer.

Lastly and to my poll question. Should buyouts be done away with? Why even bother to have them in a contract. If you have a home and home why include it? I just can't see the reasoning. You make a deal you honor it. When I say honor it I mean PLAY THE F-CKING GAME!

Hambone
February 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I think they should still be included in contracts, however I believe they should have a cutoff date after which the buyout can no longer happen. Maybe a separate option for the poll BB?

Laker
February 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM
The Gophers bought out North Carolina (I'm not sure why they are so afraid of them) for $800,000. I lost respect for the program and the university for doing that. Man up and play the game.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 19th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I think they should still be included in contracts, however I believe they should have a cutoff date after which the buyout can no longer happen. Maybe a separate option for the poll BB?

this is what I think should be in any contract as well. It would make scheduling any H&H's tougher with any top FCS teams if there is zero flexibility for movement. However I think in structuring a contract there should be a ladder effect to the buyout. If team A wants to buy out they have a $100K buyout or whatever up until one year prior to the start of that season the game will be played in...the START of the season so in this instance NDSU first game whether on the road or at home. After that landmark the buyout increases by $1500/day

I think GT has done a pretty damn good job and he is probably being more gracious than I would be if put in his position on this matter. Doing this to NDSU this late in the game is pretty bad and the shame on the MSU AD is well warranted at this point and MSU fans are not supportive of this move from almost everything I've seen.

Green1
February 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I believe that there are legitimate situations in which a buy-out is a needed option for some schools.

With that being said, the buy-out situation with Mont. State/ NDSU is not one of them. In order to discourage this sort of scheduling issues, why not include an "escalator" clause in these contracts stating the buy-out amount will increase as the game date becomes closer? Make the "escalator" so severe that the buy-out would be extremely "painful" this close to the game date. Just my $.02

Green1
February 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Great minds think alike Ursus! :D

eaglewraith
February 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I'm just glad no one is giving Georgia Southern **** about buying out that game 2 years ago anymore.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I'm just glad no one is giving Georgia Southern **** about buying out that game 2 years ago anymore.

They got paid back. twice.

eaglewraith
February 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
They got paid back. twice.

3 minutes :(

ursus arctos horribilis
February 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Great minds think alike Ursus! :D

Indded, I just came back to see the new response and was gonna quote your original post and say "That's a great idea".xlolx

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
this is what I think should be in any contract as well. It would make scheduling any H&H's tougher with any top FCS teams if there is zero flexibility for movement. However I think in structuring a contract there should be a ladder effect to the buyout. If team A wants to buy out they have a $100K buyout or whatever up until one year prior to the start of that season the game will be played in...the START of the season so in this instance NDSU first game whether on the road or at home. After that landmark the buyout increases by $1500/day

I think GT has done a pretty damn good job and he is probably being more gracious than I would be if put in his position on this matter. Doing this to NDSU this late in the game is pretty bad and the shame on the MSU AD is well warranted at this point and MSU fans are not supportive of this move from almost everything I've seen.

But this gets back to the original question. If you are putting together a schedule for the purpose of having a game with team XXXX by putting in a buyout it indicates that you are not committed to playing the game. It makes having a contract to play on a specific date meaningless if you have no intent on playing the game. This shopping for a better deal at the expense of another team/school hurts college football. Integrity and honor sold to the highest bidder. It may be how things are done nowadays but it doesn't make it right.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
3 minutes :(

I'm a known commodity.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 12:04 PM
But this gets back to the original question. If you are putting together a schedule for the purpose of having a game with team XXXX by putting in a buyout it indicates that you are not committed to playing the game. It makes having a contract to play on a specific date meaningless if you have no intent on playing the game. This shopping for a better deal at the expense of another team/school hurts college football. Integrity and honor sold to the highest bidder. It may be how things are done nowadays but it doesn't make it right.

The buyout gives you the opening to a better opportunity. Let's say some FBS team (SMU for example) offered Montana State 500k (I'm not using what exactly happened this time) and it's an opportunity to play twice in a state in which you recruit in; that could be viewed as an opportunity.

Or..what if you are NDSU and you are scheduled to travel to Lehigh as part of your home and home, but Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Nebraska call you for a game and offer you a ton of money based on the fact you are back to back FCS champs...you know GT would drop Lehigh in an instant.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 12:06 PM
The buyout gives you the opening to a better opportunity. Let's say some FBS team (SMU for example) offered Montana State 500k (I'm not using what exactly happened this time) and it's an opportunity to play twice in a state in which you recruit in; that could be viewed as an opportunity.

Or..what if you are NDSU and you are scheduled to travel to Lehigh as part of your home and home, but Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Nebraska call you for a game and offer you a ton of money based on the fact you are back to back FCS champs...you know GT would drop Lehigh in an instant.

GT would never schedule 2 FBS teams regardless of the check. See UNI

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM

I'm not saying THIS year..I'm just saying as an example, and I'm not saying two FBS teams...let's say you didn't have an FBS team. Your OOC was Lehigh in PA, RMU at home, and I don't know...SE Louisiana at home..

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I'm not saying THIS year..I'm just saying as an example, and I'm not saying two FBS teams...let's say you didn't have an FBS team. Your OOC was Lehigh in PA, RMU at home, and I don't know...SE Louisiana at home..

Well that's just it. Unless an FBS buys out of a game, they are already scheduled a few years in advance.

AmsterBison
February 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Buyouts serve a purpose. If you don't have a buyout clause and somebody breaks the contract, what is the wronged party's recourse? Litigation?

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Well that's just it. Unless an FBS buys out of a game, they are already scheduled a few years in advance.

Nevermind. You obviously are still a bit hurting about Montana State dropping you for a FBS school. I'll accept the fact that you, due to your hurt, cannot understand a hypothetical situation and just let it go.

Listen, if you need a shoulder to cry on..Citdog is just a call away.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Nevermind. You obviously are still a bit hurting about Montana State dropping you for a FBS school. I'll accept the fact that you, due to your hurt, cannot understand a hypothetical situation and just let it go.

Listen, if you need a shoulder to cry on..Citdog is just a call away.

I am merely staying grounded in reality. The reality that exists doesn't jive with your scenario.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I am merely staying grounded in reality. The reality that exists doesn't jive with your scenario.

The situation that doesn't currently exist could exist at some point. You guys aren't leaping to FBS any time soon, this could happen where you don't have a year with a FBS school and only FCS opponents.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
The situation that doesn't currently exist could exist at some point. You guys aren't leaping to FBS any time soon, this could happen where you don't have a year with a FBS school and only FCS opponents.

You can talk about contracts all you want but the fact remains signing a contract with a buyout in it makes the contract meaningless. You may as well just have a free for all whore yourself out to the highest bidder.

IBleedYellow
February 19th, 2013, 12:23 PM
You have to have these buyout clauses.

You also should have deadlines or ways to make the buyouts possible, but very painful once you are within the year of the contract.

citdog
February 19th, 2013, 12:23 PM
somebody breaks the contract, what is the wronged party's recourse? Litigation?

http://library.sc.edu/blogs/academy/files/2011/10/union_dissolved_4x6.jpg

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
You can talk about contracts all you want but the fact remains signing a contract with a buyout in it makes the contract meaningless. You may as well just have a free for all whore yourself out to the highest bidder.

No, the contract with a buyout leaves you a way out should the opportunity arise. The problem is the buyout was set too low.

Do you think baseball players shouldn't have buyouts in their contracts? What about landlords who want to sell a house they rent out? Are you against all buyouts in general?

FargoBison
February 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM

We would play those games as scheduled.

The only thing that could force a buyout is the possibility of playing five home games and even then we have bit the bullet and fulfilled the contract(SHSU in 2009).

We don't need the revenue an FBS game brings like some other programs do.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I think it's important to say that I do not care if NDSU plays Montana State. The K-State game is hard enough for OOC and I like that they are set up nicely for the threepeat this season. At the end of the day, MSU looks terrible here, and deserves every bit of **** they get.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I think it's important to say that I do not care if NDSU plays Montana State. The K-State game is hard enough for OOC and I like that they are set up nicely for the threepeat this season. At the end of the day, MSU looks terrible here, and deserves every bit of **** they get.

I don't see you ripping Alabama A&M for dropping Sam Houston...

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't see you ripping Alabama A&M for dropping Sam Houston...

I don't care about either of them. They are also not the same thing.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I don't care about either of them. They are also not the same thing.

The butthurt still runs strong in you, amigo. Your fans need to quit being such prima donnas and realize that you'll have a replacement game with a good team lined up. You also have 100k so your schools can make more "Sioux suck" shirts to give out at the home opener.

eaglewraith
February 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'm a known commodity.

Actually I was referring to how much time was on the clock when you took the lead for the first time.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 01:22 PM
The butthurt still runs strong in you, amigo. Your fans need to quit being such prima donnas and realize that you'll have a replacement game with a good team lined up. You also have 100k so your schools can make more "Sioux suck" shirts to give out at the home opener.

I'm really if there's anything I can say that would convince you otherwise but I will start with your original quote:

This scenario can only exist this season, and does. Therefore my original retort is accurate. There is already a FBS on the schedule for the next 3 years. At no time in the next 3 years, barring a buyout, would NDSU need to schedule another FBS team. Because we have a cordial relationship here, I'm going to assume that you are misunderstanding my comments.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
No, the contract with a buyout leaves you a way out should the opportunity arise. The problem is the buyout was set too low.

Do you think baseball players shouldn't have buyouts in their contracts? What about landlords who want to sell a house they rent out? Are you against all buyouts in general?

Where the hell does this topic include or ever broach the Baseball or Landlord subjects? We are talking about FCS football. FCS contracts and FCS buyouts. You want to talk Baseball or landlords you are in the wrong thread. Try to stay on topic.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM

You can't be serious? A good team lined up? This is February and we are talking about this years schedule.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 01:29 PM
You can't be serious? A good team lined up? This is February and we are talking about this years schedule.

UNC would be a great game for a lot of reasons. If nothing else, show the fluffiness of the Big Fluffy.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=NoDak 4 Ever;1940988]I'm really if there's anything I can say that would convince you otherwise but I will start with your original quote:

QUOTE]

You and I don't argue on Cliff's political threads, since we always agree...so I figured I might as well take an opportunity this time.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Why don't you do some research and see who still needs a game during those two weeks that you have open dates. I imagine you'll find a few that you can use.

NoDak is actually right about UNC. While NDSU would destroy them, it'd bring back memories for you guys and let you beat up on a Big Sky opponent.

citdog
Because we have a cordial relationship here, I'm going to assume that you are misunderstanding my comments.

What are you going to do if he just plain disagrees with you have your president execute a drone strike?

http://banoosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/obama-riding-bomb.jpg

BisonBacker
UNC would be a great game for a lot of reasons. If nothing else, show the fluffiness of the Big Fluffy.

We put them on the schedule we may as well play Moorhead State or Concordia. UNC was once a good program but for whatever reason they have fallen off the face of the earth. They are now just another BSC patsie or at least have been since joining the BSC.

DJKyR0
February 19th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Buyouts? Yes. Weak-necked ADs who don't want their team taking a tough loss early in the season? No.

Marquee games like App St.-Montana are the kind of games that bring attention to the subdivision and that garner a little extra exposure that we need. This had a chance to be one of those games - Montana State copped out and the entire FCS is weaker for it.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Why don't you do some research and see who still needs a game during those two weeks that you have open dates. I imagine you'll find a few that you can use.

NoDak is actually right about UNC. While NDSU would destroy them, it'd bring back memories for you guys and let you beat up on a Big Sky opponent.

The list was published somewhere of available teams and it's not anything impressive to say the least. That's one of the biggest problems with the chickenshat move it's so late in the process that most teams already have their schedules finalized (for what thats worth).

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
The list was published somewhere of available teams and it's not anything impressive to say the least. That's one of the biggest problems with the chickenshat move it's so late in the process that most teams already have their schedules finalized (for what thats worth).

Why don't you call your AD, have him call our AD, convince us to drop a non counter home game vs McMurry..and we'll go to Fargo this year, and you come to Nacogdoches next year?

Sounds like a win in my book...

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
What are you going to do if he just plain disagrees with you have your president execute a drone strike?

Since this is not the political thread I will simply say that nobody disagrees with the drone program more strongly than I.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM
We put them on the schedule we may as well play Moorhead State or Concordia. UNC was once a good program but for whatever reason they have fallen off the face of the earth. They are now just another BSC patsie or at least have been since joining the BSC.

The UNC game says to the Big Fluffy "this is what you got and this is what you could have had. Now you are just a big bloated box of cupcakes." Kind of rub their noses in it.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
The UNC game says to the Big Fluffy "this is what you got and this is what you could have had. Now you are just a big bloated box of cupcakes." Kind of rub their noses in it.

I think your take on it is a little off base cuz taking UNC and defeating them doesn't say **** to anyone at this point. I mean if beating a cellar dweller means something to you then OK but it wouldn't say what you think it says I'm pretty sure. You can not fathom what it would say though if UNC took ya down. There isn't a lot of upside for NDSU in a game like that if you ask me. There is a slight possibility that UNC is on a bit of an uptick next season...maybe.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I think your take on it is a little off base cuz taking UNC and defeating them doesn't say **** to anyone at this point. I mean if beating a cellar dweller means something to you then OK but it wouldn't say what you think it says I'm pretty sure. You can not fathom what it would say though if UNC took ya down. There isn't a lot of upside for NDSU in a game like that if you ask me. There is a slight possibility that UNC is on a bit of an uptick next season...maybe.

Since NDSU was clearly willing to play Montana State, they are not necessarily worried about being "taken down". As for the BSC, there are a few teams at the top and a lot at the bottom. Unfortunately, one of those "top teams" backed out so what are you left with? It doesn't look good.

The Big Sky could have had NDSU, instead they got UNC. Not a good choice

ursus arctos horribilis
February 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Since NDSU was clearly willing to play Montana State, they are not necessarily worried about being "taken down". As for the BSC, there are a few teams at the top and a lot at the bottom. Unfortunately, one of those "top teams" backed out so what are you left with? It doesn't look good.

The Big Sky could have had NDSU, instead they got UNC. Not a good choice
You are trying to piece things together in some sort of logical way. I can see that but it just isn't working. I didn't mention at all that you or anyone should be worried about being taken down by UNC. It's obviously very unlikely. Just don't think it's a big win situation for NDSU but it would be cool to see the old conference mates play. I'm only talking from a temporary persception angle in that it isn't a great game...which is the perspective you were talking from as well.

It wouldn't do what you expect and wouldn't mean a thing to even the BSC mates if UNC lost. On the opposite side of the coin...you'd hear a lot of guys that talk like you do talking at you for quite a while.:D

asumike83
February 19th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I like the idea of not having a buyout but realistically, it would never happen. No home-and-home deals would ever get done at our level if there was no buyout option. If an FBS team approaches you with a big payday, the FCS program will take the money and run more times than not, especially if they are operating in the red.

Another aspect is the enforcement of the contract with no buyout. At least in this case, both sides have it in writing that they will pay X amount if they cannot make the return date. If it is a contract with no provisions for a schedule change, what would you do if the team says they aren't coming to play you, go to court? That'd be a huge pain and in the end, would likely be the same thing as a buyout.

To be clear, I think this situation sucks. It would have been a great game and with schedules being set right now, they really left NDSU in the lurch. It is a short-sighted move by MSU and a bad business decision that could have negative long-term effects on their ability to put together a good schedule. If MSU is making calls in the future to some of the other non-conference FCS programs to schedule a series, I doubt they'll be getting too warm of a reception.

darell1976
February 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM
After being hit with buyouts from Idaho St and Central Arkansas I would love to see buyouts banned. If you are in that much of a financial crunch then just don't agree to the contract from the start.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I like the idea of not having a buyout but realistically, it would never happen. No home-and-home deals would ever get done at our level if there was no buyout option. If an FBS team approaches you with a big payday, the FCS program will take the money and run more times than not, especially if they are operating in the red.

Another aspect is the enforcement of the contract with no buyout. At least in this case, both sides have it in writing that they will pay X amount if they cannot make the return date. If it is a contract with no provisions for a schedule change, what would you do if the team says they aren't coming to play you, go to court? That'd be a huge pain and in the end, would likely be the same thing as a buyout.

To be clear, I think this situation sucks. It would have been a great game and with schedules being set right now, they really left NDSU in the lurch. It is a short-sighted move by MSU and a bad business decision that could have negative long-term effects on their ability to put together a good schedule. If MSU is making calls in the future to some of the other non-conference FCS programs to schedule a series, I doubt they'll be getting too warm of a reception.

This. I hope agreeing with you doesn't make it all butthurtish.

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM
BTW..SMU dropped..BAYLOR to play Montana State.

Says a bunch about how bad they are going to be next year.

Maybe NDSU can travel to Waco and play Baylor. I'd pick NDSU to win.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Why don't you call your AD, have him call our AD, convince us to drop a non counter home game vs McMurry..and we'll go to Fargo this year, and you come to Nacogdoches next year?

Sounds like a win in my book...

I'd love to see that. Now back to reality..........

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM

That being said, SFA was a good H&H back during the transition. Might be a good one to schedule someday

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Fair enough..MSU-Moorhead is always available :D

TheRevSFA
February 19th, 2013, 02:36 PM
That being said, SFA was a good H&H back during the transition. Might be a good one to schedule someday

Yep...We actually keep our deals...I loved when we played NDSU. I want us to do it again so I can go to Fargo.

bobcathpdevil56
February 19th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Still pissed about our AD making this decision. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but this makes every Bobcat look like a pussy and we had no say in what this d-bag decided.

Thanks a lot Fields and Obama:)

Southern Bison
February 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I agree with some of the earlier posters in which there should be a tiered buy-out in the contracts. $XXX,000 if the notification of intent to cancel is more than 365 days before the start of the season the game is in, & add $10K for each week after that. That would have put the buy out with an additional penalty of about $250K in the Montana St. fiasco.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I agree with some of the earlier posters in which there should be a tiered buy-out in the contracts. $XXX,000 if the notification of intent to cancel is more than 365 days before the start of the season the game is in, & add $10K for each week after that. That would have put the buy out with an additional penalty of about $250K in the Montana St. fiasco.

I chose a daily penalty because it gives the team being left in the lurch the earliest possible notification. Don't even give them until the end of the week.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I think the most amusing thing that Fields said on the radio today, in regards to big buyouts "If it's too big the contract won't get signed".

Only if you think you are going to need to use it.

AmsterBison
February 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I think the most amusing thing that Fields said on the radio today, in regards to big buyouts "If it's too big the contract won't get signed".

Only if you think you are going to need to use it.

I agree with Fields. Next contract with Montana State should have a similar buyout... it's just that the first game should be in Fargo. :)

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Speaking of the douchebag Fields here he is.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/bri4878/msuad_zpsa299df54.jpg

SDFS
February 19th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I think buyouts are needed and the AD who is expecting a return game needs to make sure that they punitive enough to prevent the clause from being exercised.

If you negotiate a buyout for a return game at $10,000 you might want to look in the mirror versus whining to the media about how you feel betrayed when the opponent sends you a check for $10,000.
All of this mess in on the AD expecting a return game pain and simple.

Bisonator
February 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
The buyout was for $100,000.

The real rub is NDSU would have probably paid MSU the $200,000 to play the game had they asked. That's what it's going to cost to get another school now anyway if not more. This is nothing more then running from a beatdown. I'm pretty sure the MSU coaching staff is behind this situation.

RabidRabbit
February 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM

There needs to be a buy-out/negotiate a different date, so if conference changes for either team the team can deal with the new schedule in conference. Likewise, for any level change. Tx St. couldn't really honor a game to be played at South Dakota St. made 4 years ago. Likewise, need to make the buy-out so painful about a year beforehand that to go to another game costs the dropping school too much to accept a FBS game. Savanah St., UNI great example of another

marenlee
February 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Actually I was referring to how much time was on the clock when you took the lead for the first time.

I know you're trying to forget the game the best you can. But I won't let you forget the Bison led 16-13 in the 3rd quarter for all of 2 minutes ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
February 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I know you're trying to forget the game the best you can. But I won't let you forget the Bison led 16-13 in the 3rd quarter for all of 2 minutes ;)

The Bison have led that game for over 2 months now.

Bisonoline
February 19th, 2013, 09:22 PM

FYI---The school doesnt make shirts. Any shirts are supplied by vendors. Plus the school really frowns on the Sioux Suck Sh++ chants so those shirts are privately made.

Hammersmith
February 19th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I'm going to steal a post on the topic from the SDSU board. The poster goes by the handle JackJD and, as the name implies, is a lawyer. One of the better posters on their board. He's also a poster here, though he hasn't stopped by for a few months(other than perhaps lurking).

I haven't read a football-game contract but it's likely the buyout clause is a "liquidated damages" clause in which the parties agree that if a team backs out, the other team will sustain damages but the damages are impossible to accurately ascertain and therefore they agree to the amount of damages: the buyout amount. If there is no buyout clause and a party backs out of the game, the other party would have to prove the amount of its damages. The buyout/liquidated damages clauses just make good sense: the non-defaulting party knows what it will receive and can get on with life and try to find a schedule replacement.

To expand, teams are going to cancel games. As much as we don't like it, it will happen. Without a liquidated damages clause, things get really, really ugly. Lawyers end up getting involved. Civil lawsuits are filed. Much much time and money are wasted. On the flip side, without the LD clause in the NDSU/MSU contract, NDSU could have sued MSU for whatever it costs to bring in a replacement team. Team X wants $350k to come to Fargo? Send the bill to MSU. But then would come the lawyers and probably several years of litigation. The buyout clause is probably the better option in the long run. I like the escalator penalty idea, though.

SDFS
February 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM

The real rub is NDSU would have probably paid MSU the $200,000 to play the game had they asked. That's what it's going to cost to get another school now anyway if not more. This is nothing more then running from a beatdown. I'm pretty sure the MSU coaching staff is behind this situation.

This is the second time that MSU has tried to buyout the contract for a game hosted in Bozeman on Sept 25th, 2005. I am sure that the MSU AD regrets reworking the contract with NDSU in 2007. When you sign a contract with a $10,000 buyout you are basically asking for a buyout. All I have to say to the NDSU AD is increase the buyouts and stop all the bitching and whining in the media.

"It’s the second time MSU has bowed out of a game in Fargo. In January of 2007, the Bobcats bought out of the tail end of a home-and-home contact that had the Bison playing in Bozeman in 2007. That only cost MSU $10,000, although Taylor said at the time that figure was being negotiated.

It turned into the 2013 game that was signed in 2009 when NDSU announced it was playing the Bobcats in 2013 and the University of Montana in 2014 and 2015. Now only Montana is coming to Fargo."

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/390293/

Hammerhead
February 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM
SDFS, they did increase the buyout to $100,000. Quoting the article from The Forum:
"He [NDSU AD Gene Taylor] said MSU will pay the $100,000 exit fee to play another game, which is presumed to be against Football Bowl Subdivision Southern Methodist. Taylor said the final decision was made after Friday’s announcement that the Bison will play Delaware State on Sept. 21."

SDFS
February 19th, 2013, 10:29 PM
SDFS, they did increase the buyout to $100,000. Quoting the article from The Forum:
"He [NDSU AD Gene Taylor] said MSU will pay the $100,000 exit fee to play another game, which is presumed to be against Football Bowl Subdivision Southern Methodist. Taylor said the final decision was made after Friday’s announcement that the Bison will play Delaware State on Sept. 21."

Yes, but it is the original contract that is the root cause of the problem.. my point is simple - NDSU had no leverage with the original contract because they were just transitioning to FCS. So, the best NDSU could do is a $10,000 buyout on the original contract. Any AD signing a contract with a $10,000 buyout knows that more than likely that game is not going to happen and he should be prepared for it not to happen. When the first buyout occurred NDSU chose to play it out in the court of public opinion to force the game. MSU relented and renegotiated the contract this time with a $100,000 buyout.

Now, MSU is in a scheduling bind and they executed the buyout against the second contract. It sucks, but it is the world of college athletics today. People are railing on MSU, while NDSU is taking a free pass and playing the role of the victim when they are just as culpable because of the $10,000 buyout in the original contract. People are rightfully upset with the timing of the buyout. But, I think other ADs are observing how NDSU is behaving with the media and I think people will be careful working with either group.

eaglewraith
February 19th, 2013, 10:36 PM

I knew when I posted that it didn't sound right, but I couldn't remember right off hand if ya'll had ever taken the lead before the end or just pulled even.

Ugh...anyway....

tourguide
February 20th, 2013, 04:06 AM

This is not what I have heard. I believe if Nebraska or Florida St would have offered 7 figures last year NDSU would have played 2 FBS.

Also someone asked backer to look up who is available. This is my attempt at it.

http://bisonation.info/scheduling-ideas-part-1/

Green1
February 20th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Yes, but it is the original contract that is the root cause of the problem.. my point is simple - NDSU had no leverage with the original contract because they were just transitioning to FCS. So, the best NDSU could do is a $10,000 buyout on the original contract. Any AD signing a contract with a $10,000 buyout knows that more than likely that game is not going to happen and he should be prepared for it not to happen. When the first buyout occurred NDSU chose to play it out in the court of public opinion to force the game. MSU relented and renegotiated the contract this time with a $100,000 buyout.

Now, MSU is in a scheduling bind and they executed the buyout against the second contract. It sucks, but it is the world of college athletics today. People are railing on MSU, while NDSU is taking a free pass and playing the role of the victim when they are just as culpable because of the $10,000 buyout in the original contract. People are rightfully upset with the timing of the buyout. But, I think other ADs are observing how NDSU is behaving with the media and I think people will be careful working with either group.

Little did I know that NDSU is to blame for Mont. State dropping the game against them! Amazing... you learn something everyday. xcrazyx

darell1976
February 20th, 2013, 06:00 AM
This is not what I have heard. I believe if Nebraska or Florida St would have offered 7 figures last year NDSU would have played 2 FBS.

Also someone asked backer to look up who is available. This is my attempt at it.

http://bisonation.info/scheduling-ideas-part-1/

Is there a deadline(or NCAA rule) to get your schedule filled out by? That's not a long list.

walliver
February 20th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Is there a deadline(or NCAA rule) to get your schedule filled out by? That's not a long list.

Schedules can be changed at any time.

The last time this was done to any major degree, however, was right after 9/11/01 when all the games for the next Saturday were cancelled. Some were rescheduled, others were canceled and new games added. No special NCAA rule was required.

Out of courtesy, most teams making late scheduling changes do try to assist the other team in securing a game.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 07:17 AM

I'm hearing the same thing. If true this speaks volumes about Ash and what he thinks of his players. He'll never amount to **** as a coach!

SDFS
February 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Little did I know that NDSU is to blame for Mont. State dropping the game against them! Amazing... you learn something everyday. xcrazyx

Rumor has it two new online offerings next semester: LAW 101 - Impacts of signing a contract for ADs and LAW 102 - Impacts of signing a petition for FB players.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Rumor has it two new online offerings next semester: LAW 101 - Impacts of signing a contract for ADs and LAW 102 - Impacts of signing a petition for FB players.

You forgot. Art 450 Advanced Championship Ring Design

AmsterBison
February 20th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Yep...We actually keep our deals...I loved when we played NDSU. I want us to do it again so I can go to Fargo.

Heck, your whole conference did. NDSU had four home-and-homes with Southland teams and never had any trouble. Hats off to SFA, SHSU, Northwestern St., and Nicholls State.

aces1180
February 20th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Heck, your whole conference did. NDSU had four home-and-homes with Southland teams and never had any trouble. Hats off to SFA, SHSU, Northwestern St., and Nicholls State.

^This...The Southland was very good to NDSU in our transition to FCS.

darell1976
February 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Schedules can be changed at any time.

The last time this was done to any major degree, however, was right after 9/11/01 when all the games for the next Saturday were cancelled. Some were rescheduled, others were canceled and new games added. No special NCAA rule was required.

Out of courtesy, most teams making late scheduling changes do try to assist the other team in securing a game.

I would think with season ticket holders there would be a deadline to get a schedule complete. Or else its just a courtesy. Still a BS move by MSU though.

AmsterBison
February 20th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Bah, I think I screwed up my vote. If so, it should be 51-6 in favor of buyout clauses.

Nova09
February 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I don't understand the premise of this poll. Should contracts specify the terms both parties are agreeing to? Yes, that is what a contract is. What body would "ban" a buyout clause in athletic agreements? The NCAA? The federal government?

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Bah, I think I screwed up my vote. If so, it should be 51-6 in favor of buyout clauses.

It was my fault with the way I worded the poll which is wrong. Either way I hate F'n buyouts. I think it's a chickensh-t move by teams that do it. At least when they do it this late in the game.