PDA

View Full Version : Lembo Wants to Rise Phoenix from Ashes

TexasTerror
August 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I know there's a good deal of PL folks who are interested to see how Pete Lembo does at Elon. He's got a tough road ahead of him. It's tough to believe that a coach with the success that Lembo had in the PL would be willing to move on to the SoCon, but as Lembo suggests, he likes the challenges that are presented by moving to a stronger conference, a place where he can offer scholarships.

Lembo says Elon wants to be aggressive in how it schedules, getting playoff contenders from outside the SoCon and throw in a I-A game. Lembo, the SLC would love to do business with you!
---------
Phoenix looks to rise from ashes
By Jeff Carlton
Staff Writer

ELON -- What would compel a football coach to leave behind a program that he had guided to a 44-14 record over five seasons for another Division I-AA school that has languished at the bottom of a strong conference since it joined?

Let Pete Lembo, Elon's new head coach, count the reasons.

First, he couldn't offer recruits athletics scholarships at Lehigh. The Patriot League only allows need-based grants.

Second, the power and tradition of the Southern Conference -- and football in the South, generally speaking -- enticed him.

Third, he considered Elon's own football history a proud one, even while he was hired in December to wipe away memories of the Phoenix's recent past.

Perhaps most importantly, Lembo, at 36 years old, needed a new coaching challenge. He'd sustained Lehigh's lofty status. This would be different.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060829/NEWSREC0105/608290309

OL FU
August 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM
PL fans are not the only ones interested.
I think most of have seen Higgins start Citadel's progress upward. We also understand some of the recruiting difficulties at the Citadel. The Citadel has not had any significant success in 15 plus years.

Elon has been successful as early as 6 or 7 years ago. But he is definitely starting from the bottom. I have a hard time remembering a coach starting that close to the bottom in the SoCon.

Best of luck to both.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM
You're right. Elon peaked under Seagraves at 7-4 including a 16-7 win over Furman in 2000 Then things started sucking for Seagraves and he turned it over to Hamilton after leading the Phoenix to 2-9, 4-7, 2-10 season. Hamilton gave them more of the same.
With Seagraves, as the New Havens, G-W's, Samfords, Chuck Souths, and Libertys were replaced on the schedule, so did the wins and eventually so was Seagraves.
Seems that Elon used the Furman win, connections with Danny Boy Morrison, and a new stadium to con the SoCon into admitting them.
Maybe Lembo can get them out of the cellar.
It'll be interesting to see if the receiver Lembo picked up after Duke kicked him out and WCU nixxed his transfer, will contribute immediately.

Pard4Life
August 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I'd like to see him suffer for awhile... it should be entertaining to see scores like 45-7. :rolleyes:

Fordham
August 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM
This really will be interesting to watch develop over the next few years. I think most, not all, Lehigh fans here were happy to see him go as he seemed more of an impedement to Lehigh getting to the next level, particularly with his big game results while there. I would have err'd on the side of letting a 36 y/o coach who produced the results he did try to develop into a better and better coach but that's coming from a Fordham fan who would have killed for Lehigh's results over the past 8 years and also from a guy who isn't intimitely aware of the details of the program, particularly of claims that he lost a good chunk of the player's commitment at the end.

By having him go to another I-AA school it'll be easy to see how this one plays out based upon the results that Coen is able to put up compared with any progress Lembo makes at Elon. For what it's worth, when I did some stadium research last year on I-AA programs, I was blown away by the beauty of the Elon field and campus. Just fantastic stuff imo ... at least from the pictures.

I wish him luck.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2006, 09:19 AM
The guy sure did compete well vs the scholarship teams. Impressive.

LUHawker
August 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM
The guy sure did compete well vs the scholarship teams. Impressive.

You sure got that one right I-AA 2006, Lembo competed well. The problem was that he didn't WIN. The University, the alumni and the fans aren't interested in competing well, particularly with our PL compatriots over in Easton (Lafayette). Pete Lembo's teams basically won all of the games you would expect - lower-tiered PL teams, Ivy teams and other OOC games from the mid-majors, but he only occassionally won against the better competition. Other than his first year (which was still a Kevin Higgins team) in which LU defeated Hofstra in the playoffs, Pete never came up with a big victory. LU hasn't defeated an A-10 team since 2001. Yes Lehigh was competitive in losing 1 point games to JMU in the playoffs and Delaware last year and a 6 point loss to Villanova the year before, but he couldn't get the team over the hump. The talent was there, but some of the coaching schemes were horrible, not to mention that Lehigh used an irritating play-calling method, where the plays were all written down on players wristbands. It was disruptive and the team often killed their own momentum with this silliness. Yes, Pete put up a very nice overall record, but you have to look beyond that to understand the situation. Moreover, Lembo is more of a "corporate" coach than a player's coach. I actually hope he does well for Elon - he's not a bad guy and is a decent coach, but just not for Lehigh. The Lehigh Faithful are expecting bigger and better things from new HC Coen and there is a palpable buzz at the school, which reflects that.

blukeys
August 29th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hawker's comments are basically what I have heard. I have a friend who is a typically irritating Lehigh grad and Lembo was his favorite whipping boy.

I have to agree with the Lembo critics on one thing. I think his offense was a little too much finesse. Lehigh Moved well between the 20's but could not really pound the ball in when it had to.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2006, 12:09 PM
You sure got that one right I-AA 2006, Lembo competed well. The problem was that he didn't WIN. The University, the alumni and the fans aren't interested in competing well, particularly with our PL compatriots over in Easton (Lafayette). Pete Lembo's teams basically won all of the games you would expect - lower-tiered PL teams, Ivy teams and other OOC games from the mid-majors, but he only occassionally won against the better competition. Other than his first year (which was still a Kevin Higgins team) in which LU defeated Hofstra in the playoffs, Pete never came up with a big victory. LU hasn't defeated an A-10 team since 2001. Yes Lehigh was competitive in losing 1 point games to JMU in the playoffs and Delaware last year and a 6 point loss to Villanova the year before, but he couldn't get the team over the hump. The talent was there, but some of the coaching schemes were horrible, not to mention that Lehigh used an irritating play-calling method, where the plays were all written down on players wristbands. It was disruptive and the team often killed their own momentum with this silliness. Yes, Pete put up a very nice overall record, but you have to look beyond that to understand the situation. Moreover, Lembo is more of a "corporate" coach than a player's coach. I actually hope he does well for Elon - he's not a bad guy and is a decent coach, but just not for Lehigh. The Lehigh Faithful are expecting bigger and better things from new HC Coen and there is a palpable buzz at the school, which reflects that.

At the same time, if he did what he did with no athletic scholarships, he should be able to get Elon out of the SoCon cellar.

blukeys
August 29th, 2006, 12:24 PM
At the same time, if he did what he did with no athletic scholarships, he should be able to get Elon out of the SoCon cellar.

He did it with 50 to 55 equivalencies or as it is called in the PL "needs based" Grants. don't buy the hype that Lehigh offers no financial assistance to athletes.

ngineer
August 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Sounds about right. Pete came in with Lehigh on top. Many felt he was 'handed' everything, but he maintained the high level we've achieved; but there will always be naysayers who have a bone to pick and, unfortunately for Pete, he did show some thin skin.
In terms of his motivation, I think he is correct in moving on to this 'challenge' at Elon. In order to make a 'name' for yourself and move up the ladder, you have to show if you can make chicken salad out of chicken *****. If he's successful, he'll be able to write a ticket to a lot of I-A places. If he isn't, then Elon never was, anyway, and it'll be viewed as an institutional problem.
Pete was too young to start and spend an entire career at Lehigh. The timing for him was right, as well as for Lehigh. He's a bright guy and I expect he'll be a success down the road, whether at Elon or elsewhere.

LUHawker
August 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
He did it with 50 to 55 equivalencies or as it is called in the PL "needs based" Grants. don't buy the hype that Lehigh offers no financial assistance to athletes.

Who is selling the hype here bluekeys? The better PL programs do give 50-55 equivalencies, but I don't think that was the focus of the commentary. Your comment perpetuates the misconception, not ours.

blukeys
August 29th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Who is selling the hype here bluekeys? The better PL programs do give 50-55 equivalencies, but I don't think that was the focus of the commentary. Your comment perpetuates the misconception, not ours.

Simply straightening out I-AA 2006 on his view of how Lembo did at Lehigh. The view that Lembo did something extraordinary without the help of financial assisstance for football players is inaccurate regarding Lembo. Lembo was successful on an at least even playing field as far as financial assistance goes. If he is successful it will not be because he finally has financial assistance as a tool in his belt.

In regards to hype I was not referring to most members of this board who appear to be better informed than most. However the "no scholarship football" mantra is out there in spades and in fact I will hear this drivel non-stop this Friday night when I stop by to have some drinks with a Lehigh grad. My friend drinks from the purple Kool pitcher (he should know better) and continues to spout it non - stop for anyone who will listen. Confusing him with the facts has proven ineffective.

If you don't believe that many folks believe that PL teams currently give no financial assistance to football players, check out the Pl Message Boards. Or go back to the oft quoted statement of any Lehigh fan "Think of what we could do if we had scholarships!!!!!"

LUHawker
August 29th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Simply straightening out I-AA 2006 on his view of how Lembo did at Lehigh. The view that Lembo did something extraordinary without the help of financial assisstance for football players is inaccurate regarding Lembo. Lembo was successful on an at least even playing field as far as financial assistance goes. If he is successful it will not be because he finally has financial assistance as a tool in his belt.

In regards to hype I was not referring to most members of this board who appear to be better informed than most. However the "no scholarship football" mantra is out there in spades and in fact I will hear this drivel non-stop this Friday night when I stop by to have some drinks with a Lehigh grad. My friend drinks from the purple Kool pitcher (he should know better) and continues to spout it non - stop for anyone who will listen. Confusing him with the facts has proven ineffective.

If you don't believe that many folks believe that PL teams currently give no financial assistance to football players, check out the Pl Message Boards. Or go back to the oft quoted statement of any Lehigh fan "Think of what we could do if we had scholarships!!!!!"

Then those Lehigh fans are shoveling it high. Feel free to send them my posts. LU doesn't give as much as full-scholarship teams, but it certainly pays enough to field good teams. I think some of my Lehigh (and PL) brethren probably confuse the financial-assistance angle with the academic quality angle. The PL does adhere to a higher standard as a league for admitting players than other playoff-participating leagues. This isn't to say there aren't smart kids at VU or UD or UR or anywhere else, but the PL has a strict policy and that does, in fact, limit the recruiting pool. So, if the Lehigh/PL folks want to tout something, it should be this item, not the financial side of the house.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2006, 01:26 PM

By Jeff Carlton
Staff Writer

ELON -- What would compel a football coach to leave behind a program that he had guided to a 44-14 record over five seasons for another Division I-AA school that has languished at the bottom of a strong conference since it joined?

First, he couldn't offer recruits athletics scholarships at Lehigh. The Patriot League only allows need-based grants.

I knew nothing about Lembo (and don't really care that much) exept the Elon folks think he's going to be much better than Seagraves and Hamilton in resurrecting the program.

You're quite right. The article seemed to imply that there is a big difference in what Lehigh was able to do in terms of recruiting and what Elon and the SoCon allow regarding offering scholarships. Always led to believe the non-scholarship programs only give out a handful of grants under exceptional circumstances.

SoCon48
August 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Simply straightening out I-AA 2006 on his view of how Lembo did at Lehigh. The view that Lembo did something extraordinary without the help of financial assisstance for football players is inaccurate regarding Lembo.

Didn't really know enough to be "straightened out"...just what the Elon releases and local press has put out as well as their fans post.

ngineer pretty much summed up all i know and care about the Elon plans: In terms of his motivation, I think he is correct in moving on to this 'challenge' at Elon. In order to make a 'name' for yourself and move up the ladder, you have to show if you can make chicken salad out of chicken *****. If he's successful, he'll be able to write a ticket to a lot of I-A places. If he isn't, then Elon never was, anyway, and it'll be viewed as an institutional problem.

elonphan
August 29th, 2006, 07:34 PM
The Duke transfer was a safety and his name did not appear on a recent two-deep depth chart. On another point, the football stadium and campus are even more beautiful than the pictures show.

ngineer
August 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM
By Jeff Carlton
Staff Writer

I knew nothing about Lembo (and don't really care that much) exept the Elon folks think he's going to be much better than Seagraves and Hamilton in resurrecting the program.

You're quite right. The article seemed to imply that there is a big difference in what Lehigh was able to do in terms of recruiting and what Elon and the SoCon allow regarding offering scholarships. Always led to believe the non-scholarship programs only give out a handful of grants under exceptional circumstances.

There IS a difference, though not as huge as some imply. A majority of the players do not get "free-rides" but aid packages based on family income. Some get $10k, $20k, $30k--few get the 'whole boat', and some get nothing. We cannot recruit and give financial aid to a student just because he's a great athlete. If his has well-to-do parents, we can't offer anything. This makes recruiting much more difficult because you have to identify your candidate pool both from an academic angle AS WELL AS financial need. It just makes recruiting so much easier when you don't have to worry about the income side of the equation, and that's what Lembo was referring to.

Mr. C
August 30th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I can't believe the Greensboro News & Record chose such a hokie headline for this story. Can't you come up with some better than a Phoenix rising from the ashes?

Lembo should do a good job at Elon, though its going to take him a few years, just like it took Rodney Allison some time at Chattanooga to get the Mocs into contention. Kevin Higgins is also doing a great job at The Citadel and I fully expect him to turn that program around. The coaching talent in the SoCon is going to make for a very interesting league in a few years. The days of there being a Big Three dominating every year may be coming to an end (maybe beginning with this year).

I found Pete Lembo to be a delightful guy at the SoCon football rouser and wish him the very best.

August 30th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Nothing about Coen but Lehigh lost a diamond with Lembo, Hawker. Reminds me of another program who got rid of their coach due to alumni$$$$ pressure. We'll see how it works out for both. Won't we?

The Gadfly
August 30th, 2006, 01:36 AM
We'll see how good he is come this Saturday. Hopefully it's all a bunch of hype xcoffeex

LUHawker
August 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Nothing about Coen but Lehigh lost a diamond with Lembo, Hawker. Reminds me of another program who got rid of their coach due to alumni$$$$ pressure. We'll see how it works out for both. Won't we?

I'm not sure which coach to whom you refer, but I disagree, that we lost a diamond. Upon what are you basing that characterization. Having closely followed Lehigh and attended or watched numerous games, I believe I have seen enough of Lembo to draw my conclusions. Stop looking at the overall record - you need to evaluate that record in a more refined way (and I mean that in the more technical sense). I am not infallible and my assessment could be proven wrong, but I feel very confident that I will be proven correct. The other key element about Lembo in this equation is that there was a lot of noise coming out of Lehigh that he lost the respect of the players over the past couple of seasons. That is never a healthy sign.

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2006, 09:34 AM
There IS a difference, though not as huge as some imply. A majority of the players do not get "free-rides" but aid packages based on family income. Some get $10k, $20k, $30k--few get the 'whole boat', and some get nothing. We cannot recruit and give financial aid to a student just because he's a great athlete. If his has well-to-do parents, we can't offer anything. This makes recruiting much more difficult because you have to identify your candidate pool both from an academic angle AS WELL AS financial need. It just makes recruiting so much easier when you don't have to worry about the income side of the equation, and that's what Lembo was referring to.

Like Lehigh... Delaware was a very successful 'need' (we need a QB... we need a LB ;) ) based program until '86... so we know all about grant and aide based programs... :p

gophoenix
August 31st, 2006, 09:58 PM
From Lembo's comments, he prefers to build a team with youth rather than pulling in short term fixes with transfers. We'll see what the Duke kid does, he's not on the two deep.

If you haven't seen the Elon campus, it is definately one of the prettier ones in the South up there with Furman, Wake Forest, Duke, Davidson and others. They are constanly building now, but are making the new buildings fit in with the old style of the historical parts campus.

I'm hoping we can get a Patriot or two on the schedule sometime. I'd love to take a trip up to Colgate, Lafayette or Lehigh.

So far, the upcoming OOC is:
2007: @Towson, Liberty, Stony Brook, Wake Forest
2008: Richmond, Presbyterian, @William and Mary, @Liberty
2009: @Presbyterian, William & Mary
2010: @Richmond
2013: @Georgia Tech

He's recruited some great kids for us that are here now and they are looking good. Lembo's also taken a new angle on recruiting and taking the focus to more mid-atlantic than just SE and is focusing on Canada too. I think he'll do well with time. Unfortunately, the conference as a whole is getting better... so it is still an uphill climb.

Also, we peaked in after the 1998 season losing 34-17 to GSU, which was their second closest game that year. 1999 with that 9-2 run with the 24-22 win over Furman, 40-7 win over top 10 ranked A&T, 20-14 loss to #18 Western Ill, 34-31 win over #25 Samford, 21-9 loss to #14 Hofstra. That lead into the 7-4 season that had us losing only to ranked opponets. 2002 was the first season that used a totally Seagraves team, which saw drastic decreases in competitiveness.

Elon has increased scholarships to the limit, the head coach has the second highest salary in the conference, assistants got raises and recruiting budgets are higher. So, the school is putting forth the committment to make it work too and season ticket sales have almost tripled for this year (near 3000 sold, which is almost the entire attendance for the dismal embarassment with App last year).

Anyway, things are going in the right direction.