PDA

View Full Version : FCS Independents for 2013?

Wallace
February 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Monmouth is the newest FCS independent for 2013. Last year we had none. So who are this year's independent FCS schools and also, what is the direct effect of being an FCS independent in terms of schedule, media exposure, budget impact, etc.? xscanx

UAalum72
February 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM
For Monmouth, it means no longer being restricted by the NEC scholarship limits.

danefan
February 15th, 2013, 02:34 PM
For Monmouth, it means no longer being restricted by the NEC scholarship limits.

Or scheduling restrictions. They might need a DII game this year to fill out that Indy schedule.

WH49er
February 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Charlotte will be a FCS independent in '13 & '14 then to conference Conference USA in 2015.

nwFL Griz
February 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Charlotte, ODU, Monmouth, and if you count transitioning schools, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist.

darell1976
February 15th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Charlotte will be a FCS independent in '13 & '14 then to conference Conference USA in 2015.

From a new program to the FBS. That's quite a jump...I wish you guys lots of luck.

WH49er
February 16th, 2013, 02:59 PM
From a new program to the FBS. That's quite a jump...I wish you guys lots of luck.

There is no doubt the first couple years of FBS will be tough but from the moment we established football we had every intention of playing FBS.

So having those intentions, whenever an FBS conference comes knocking......you let her the **** in.

tourguide
February 18th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Charlotte, ODU, Monmouth, and if you count transitioning schools, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist.

A win against the three transitional schools this year counts or doesnt count towards your playoff win total?

RabidRabbit
February 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM
A win against the three transitional schools this year counts or doesnt count towards your playoff win total?

Transitional - Charlotte, Ab Ch, IW definitely don't count. HBU? is this their 2nd year of FB? or is this first? If first then they don't count as a FCS game.

Laker
February 18th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Transitional - Charlotte, Ab Ch, IW definitely don't count. HBU? is this their 2nd year of FB? or is this first? If first then they don't count as a FCS game.

Houston Baptists first season will be this fall.

http://www.hbuhuskies.com/news/2013/2/6/FB_0206134436.aspx

tourguide
February 18th, 2013, 06:09 PM
So is Stetson part of the transitional group also?

So far we know Abilene, Incarnate, HBU and Charlotte do not count. Any others?

DFW HOYA
February 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Stetson is not transitional because it is starting in I-AA. Same should be the case for HBU, whereas ACU and Incarnate Word are moving into the subdivision.

tourguide
February 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have a definitive answer? Appreciate the input, but this is getting more confusing than I thought it would be.

Which teams in FCS do not count towards playoff win totals?

walliver
February 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM

This is one of my pet leaves. Charlotte should never play a down of FCS football. FCS should be a destination, not a stepping stone. UNCC should play as a BCS independent in 2013 and 2014. This stepping stone mentality demeans those schools who choose to participate in FCS. (ASU, GSU, JSU, and JMU should be allowed to play FBS independent also if they wish). ... stepping off soapbox now.

Apphole
February 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
This is one of my pet leaves. Charlotte should never play a down of FCS football. FCS should be a destination, not a stepping stone. UNCC should play as a BCS independent in 2013 and 2014. This stepping stone mentality demeans those schools who choose to participate in FCS. (ASU, GSU, JSU, and JMU should be allowed to play FBS independent also if they wish). ... stepping off soapbox now.

BCS independent? UNCc is not and will never be of BCS classification.

Wallace
February 19th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Does anyone have a definitive answer? Appreciate the input, but this is getting more confusing than I thought it would be.

Which teams in FCS do not count towards playoff win totals?

Correct me if I am wrong but if you are already D-I and adding football then you are playoff eligible and count from the start.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Only Abeline and Incarnate Word are still D-II. They are D-II schools that just started the transition to D-I ball this season. ACU in particular is in a never-never land of a schedule with one FBS team, I think four FCS teams and five D-II teams. Incarnate Word has more D-IIs and 3-4 FCS teams I believe.

Houston Baptist is in D-I as is Stetson and Mercer since they are already Division I schools starting football programs at the FCS level. They start in FCS. HBU - if they compete this season - would be FCS independent. Stetson and Mercer start as full Pioneer Football League members I believe.

Charlotte is (re?) starting an FBS program but as per NCAA rules they need to "transition" two years in FCS while ramping up to 85 scholarships. They are in the same position South Alabama was in 2010 and 2011. They are considered FCS this year and next.

There are four different NCAA rules at play.

1. Schools have a 4-year transition period from D-II to D-I. The first year they remain D-II for NCAA records purposes, then are "D-I transitional" for three years afterwards where they are ineligible for postseason. After the transition period they are allowed to participate in the playoffs.

2. Existing FCS schools have a 4-year transition period from FCS to FBS. Depending on when they announce their intentions to be an FBS school, they either have a 0 year (Georgia State, 2013) or 1 year (UMass, 2012) transition period in FBS. The prerequisite is they need an existing FBS conference to move into. Regardless of when they announce, bowl eligibility does not come until Year 3 of the transition. Schools need to spend either 1 or 2 years as FBS independents unless they get a waiver from the conference (i.e. the WAC/Sun Belt rule).

Notably, Old Dominion is considered FCS Independent for the 2013 season.

3. New schools that intend to go directly to FBS have a 2 year stopover in FCS while they ramp up to FBS. They are always FCS independents during this time. Charlotte falls under this category this season.

Charlotte and ODU are the two teams are listed on my FCS Independents 2013 schedules:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/fcs-information-center/conf-scheds-2013/independents-sched-2012

4. Schools already in a D-I conference (like Stetson/Mercer in the Atlantic Sun and Houston Baptist now in the Southland) are allowed to start up an FCS football program immediately.

Stetson and Mercer are on the PFL schedule:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/fcs-information-center/conf-scheds-2013/pioneer-sched-2013

I believe they are not eligible for the postseason this year.

Houston Baptist has not announced a schedule for 2013 yet and has this still posted on their website:

HBU will compete in the Southland Conference beginning in the fall of 2014, but may possibly play some non-conference contests during the fall of 2013.

It is likely that if it happens, they will be D-II/NAIA schools at this point since almost all the FCS dance cards are full. They will also certainly be FCS independents if it happens since they are not joining the Southland until 2014.

AmsterBison
February 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM
It is likely that if it happens, they will be D-II/NAIA schools at this point since almost all the FCS dance cards are full. They will also certainly be FCS independents if it happens since they are not joining the Southland until 2014.

Heh, well, at this point, NDSU might schedule them for a single-year home and home. Fargo in September, Houston in November. :) One thing about the Southland... NDSU scheduled home and homes with four Southland teams and none of them ever backed out.