PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw St. adding football, first season to be 2015

kdinva
February 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM
http://www.13wmaz.com/sports/article/217240/45/Kennesaw-State-University-to-Add-Football

so, will Kennesaw:

A) perhaps ask to be an assoc. member of the Big South.
B) seek to move all sports to the Big South.
C) seek to move all sports to the SoCon.......
D) _______________

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.13wmaz.com/sports/article/217240/45/Kennesaw-State-University-to-Add-Football

so, will Kennesaw:

D) _______________

D. Move to fbs before app like charlotte and odu

Laker
February 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I thought that I read that they were adding football a year and a half ago. Was it unofficial until now?

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM
D. Move to fbs before app like charlotte and odu

Doubtful. I'd say go to the Big South and make the playoffs before The Citadel like Coastal Carolina.

cmaxwellgsu
February 13th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I thought that I read that they were adding football a year and a half ago. Was it unofficial until now?

They had it table for the GA BOR, but it was delayed until now. Knowing the BOR, UGA and its students had to OK it....

Laker
February 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
They had it table for the GA BOR, but it was delayed until now. Knowing the BOR, UGA and its students had to OK it....

Thanks for the info. I was wondering- I've been reading about it for awhile- I think that they even moved the first year from 2014 to 2015, but I thought it was a done deal. xconfusedx

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Doubtful. I'd say go to the Big South and make the playoffs before The Citadel like Coastal Carolina.

The Citadel. 2 winning seasons in the past 12. xlolx

GATA_Eagles
February 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM

so, will Kennesaw:

D) _______________

IF Georgia Southern moves up, I could see the SoCon being more attracted to Kennesaw State. It would give them a presence in the Atlanta area and keep them in Georgia. That is if they don't go after Mercer.

LeadBolt
February 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Kennesaw State > Georgia State

GATA_Eagles
February 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Kennesaw State > Georgia State

Truth. KSU actually has a campus xpopcornx

WestCoastAggie
February 13th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I can absolutely see KSU going over to the Big South ASAP.

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM

The Citadel has been to the playoffs before, kiddo.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 04:50 PM
The Citadel has been to the playoffs before, kiddo.

Understood, but not since Coastal's had a program, in which time they've made 3 appearances. Probably should have worded it differently.

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Understood, but not since Coastal's had a program, in which time they've made 3 appearances. Probably should have worded it differently.

Good for Coastal. The Bug South is such a difficult conference, its a wonder they don't have 2 autobids.

asumike83
February 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Good for Coastal. The Bug South is such a difficult conference, its a wonder they don't have 2 autobids.

Understood as well. I was just busting balls.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Interesting, since the Citadel just barely escaped a 2-9 VMI team 27-24 this past year, which was the Citadels best team in what, two decades? And for further context, VMI got blown out 7 times last year.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Interesting, since the Citadel just barely escaped a 2-9 VMI team 27-24 this past year, which was the Citadels best team in what, two decades? And for further context, VMI got blown out 7 times last year.

as you have no rival there is no way you can EVER understand THAT football game. most people who have no ties to either school have no idea how VISCOUS of a game that is.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM
as you have no rival there is no way you can EVER understand THAT football game. most people who have no ties to either school have no idea how VISCOUS of a game that is.

Youre absolutely correct.
App hasnt been getting everyone's best shot for the past 7 years,
what are we thinking?

xcoffeex

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Youre absolutely correct.
App hasnt been getting everyone's best shot for the past 7 years,
what are we thinking?

xcoffeex

again........you just DON'T get it and that's ok........that game is worse than army-navy.......the HATE and RESPECT are palpable.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM
again........you just DON'T get it and that's ok........that game is worse than army-navy.......the HATE and RESPECT are palpable.

When youre done palpating yourself, maybe we should start a poll and ask FCS nation which team they'd rather beat? App or Citadel?

Every team we play pulls out the stops when they play us, including your own.

And, Since Navy hasnt lost in more than a decade, not a very good depiction of "rivalry."

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM
When youre done palpating yourself, maybe we should start a poll and ask FCS nation which team they'd rather beat? App or Citadel?

Every team we play pulls out the stops when they play us, including your own.

And, Since Navy hasnt lost in more than a decade, not a very good depiction of "rivalry."

WOW! I thought yosefs had become uppity with the "we deserve to be fbs" song and dance but the above is extreme douchebaggITRY, WORSE than ERY even. It doesn't matter to us WHAT the rest of the country thinks for the TWO OF US THAT'S THE ONE.

also vermin
also sodomy

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 07:10 PM
WOW! I thought yosefs had become uppity with the "we deserve to be fbs" song and dance but the above is extreme douchebaggITRY, WORSE than ERY even. It doesn't matter to us WHAT the rest of the country thinks for the TWO OF US THAT'S THE ONE.

also vermin
also sodomy

Not as arrogant as "You wouldnt know, App doesnt have a rival."

I bet you can find a quote from every single Socon coach including Higgins that confirms App gets everyones best shot. Probably for "we want to be like App State," too. Same old same old on pre and post game interviews.

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Not as arrogant as "You wouldnt know, App doesnt have a rival."

I bet you can find a quote from every single Socon coach including Higgins that confirms App gets everyones best shot. Probably for "we want to be like App State," too. Same old same old on pre and post game interviews.

you don't.

we play EVERY GAME like that.
we HAVE TO.
if we wanted to be app st we'd STILL have an all-american center.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM
you don't.

we play EVERY GAME like that.
we HAVE TO.
if we wanted to be app st we'd STILL have an all-american center.

Kevin Higgins interview: skip to 1:25
http://www2.counton2.com/sports/2009/sep/28/coach_kevin_higgins_talks_appalachian_st-ar-538032/
"when you play a team like App St. There is a sense of urgency..." not, when you play ANY team, there is a sense of urgency..
"App St. was THE team to beat."

1.) No 18-22 plays EVERY game like that.
2.) You dont.
3.) Blah, blah, blah, youre full of sh**.

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 07:20 PM

Yes, and The Citadel also blew Furman out of their own stadium, the same Furman team that lost to mighty CCU by a couple points.

VMI almost ALWAYS gives us their best shot and it rarely matters how bad they are. They played us pretty well in 1992 when we were ranked #1 in the country at the time as well, and we had already beaten Arkansas and Army, although the score in the game does not tell the whole tale.

Oh I nearly forgot... we also barely escaped Boone with our collective lives this past season as well... does that mean VMI > ASU?

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM
does that mean VMI > ASU?

nah......Arizona State would beat them.

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I bet you can find a quote from every single Socon coach including Higgins that confirms App gets everyones best shot.

Actually, last season, GSU got our best shot.

But you are almost correct, our second best shot in 2012 resulted in a win in Boone.

VMI's best shot in 2012 resulted in a close loss in Lexington.

Maybe ASU should be sure to get that game film from Sparky Woods to see how to hang with the Bulldogs in Chucktown this coming season!

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Kevin Higgins interview: skip to 1:25
http://www2.counton2.com/sports/2009/sep/28/coach_kevin_higgins_talks_appalachian_st-ar-538032/
"when you play a team like App St. There is a sense of urgency..." not, when you play ANY team, there is a sense of urgency..
"App St. was THE team to beat."

1.) No 18-22 plays EVERY game like that.
2.) You dont.
3.) Blah, blah, blah, youre full of sh**.

are you even FAMILIAR with football at The Citadel?

1. even when we stink we FIGHT EVERY PLAY UNTIL THE FINAL WHISTLE.
2. See #1
3. It's truth and I'm PROUD of it.

we could lose to you every year and still have a GREAT year.
Beat furman and vmi and it's a GREAT YEAR.

dgtw
February 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Can they get a team together in time to play New Mexico State this season? I hear they need to play an FCS team.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Yes, and The Citadel also blew Furman out of their own stadium, the same Furman team that lost to mighty CCU by a couple points.

VMI almost ALWAYS gives us their best shot and it rarely matters how bad they are. They played us pretty well in 1992 when we were ranked #1 in the country at the time as well, and we had already beaten Arkansas and Army, although the score in the game does not tell the whole tale.

Oh I nearly forgot... we also barely escaped Boone with our collective lives this past season as well... does that mean VMI > ASU?

Really?

What I got says they lost 50-0.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM
we could lose to you every year and still have a GREAT year.
Beat furman and vmi and it's a GREAT YEAR.

Nothing like aiming high...

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Really?

What I got says they lost 50-0.

My bad. It was the year before that., 1991.

17-14.

I'm glad you corrected me though, because the 1991 season makes my point even better.

El Cid finished 7-4 that season. We beat VMI 17-14. We also beat ASU that season; 17-10. So VMI gave us a tougher game than ASU. ASU finished 8-4 that season with wins over Wake and Marshall and went to the playoffs.

That very same season, VMI went 4-7, and got blown away in a few games, including 61-0 to Marshall.

On average, even when VMI stinks they give us their best shot. Better than they ever did ASU, btw.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
My bad. It was the year before that., 1991.

17-14.

I'm glad you corrected me though, because the 1991 season makes my point even better.

El Cid finished 7-4 that season. We beat VMI 17-14. We also beat ASU that season; 17-10. So VMI gave us a tougher game than ASU. ASU finished 8-4 that season with wins over Wake and Marshall and went to the playoffs.

That very same season, VMI went 4-7, and got blown away in a few games, including 61-0 to Marshall.

On average, even when VMI stinks they give us their best shot. Better than they ever did ASU, btw.

Not quite. They knocked off one of our #1 teams back in the day, may have been the 94 team, that lost to Boise St. in the quarters.

That looks like its it. We were VMI's lone win that year. App finished 9-4, with no lose greater than 3 points.

LeadBolt
February 13th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Historically, W&M sustains more injuries playing VMI on average than any other opponent.

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Historically, W&M sustains more injuries playing VMI on average than any other opponent.

Low blocks?

walliver
February 13th, 2013, 08:48 PM

The game has high resistance to flow? K-Y jelly is viscous. It may be popular at both schools.

I think autocorrect did you in. I assume the game is vicious.

appsfan
February 13th, 2013, 09:05 PM

Good point, I am sure the VMI-The Citadel rivalry is very sticky; thick; adhesive...

GlassOnion
February 13th, 2013, 09:09 PM
LOL @ you guys.

I guess I had just let that SLIDE by.

kdinva
February 13th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Low blocks?

hard hitting.......

citdog
February 13th, 2013, 09:39 PM
The game has high resistance to flow? K-Y jelly is viscous. It may be popular at both schools.

I think autocorrect did you in. I assume the game is vicious.

****ING autocorrect.

i always preferred astroglide with wofford girls

Wallace
February 13th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Congrats KSU

seantaylor
February 14th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Sh#thole school. Glad GSU is getting out of this chickensh@t outfit.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM

it's all but a done deal, the socon will add 5 schools total when app and gsu leave. mercer, kennesaw, etsu, vmi then 5th is to be determined. it could be richmond associate and uncw for all else or it could be a florida atlantic sun school.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2013, 07:02 AM
it's all but a done deal, the socon will add 5 schools total when app and gsu leave. mercer, kennesaw, etsu, vmi then 5th is to be determined. it could be richmond associate and uncw for all else or it could be a florida atlantic sun school.

I'd be a rich man if I had a dime for every time I've read something like that on this forum.

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM

You are a cabon copy of Marshall and will be missed just as much.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I'd be a rich man if I had a dime for every time I've read something like that on this forum.

ok, let me say it different. if all things stay the same assuming app, gsu and charleston are the ones leaving, all indications from "people that know stuff" say that there will be five new members of which 4 will be those four schools.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 07:52 AM
ok, let me say it different. if all things stay the same assuming app, gsu and charleston are the ones leaving, all indications from "people that know stuff" say that there will be five new members of which 4 will be those four schools.

Okay, two schools without football, and 2 schools with something resembling football, but cant be called football at the moment.

Yep. Looks like a move the Socon would make alright.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
and irony that the ones leaving are the ones to just sit and make fun. you never fail to do exactly whats expected

so to get this into perspective

go after richmond is an absurdity, what is the socon thinking?
go after uncw is an absurdity, what is the socon thinking?

go after a large public school resembling uncc or app that is adding football.... stupid, typical socon action
go after a larger private school, stupid typical socon
expanding back into virigina and into florida, stupid whats the socon thinking?

basically, to sum up, the socon is the one branching out, and app fans sit and gripe about that even after they griped about not branching out.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM
and irony that the ones leaving are the ones to just sit and make fun. you never fail to do exactly whats expected

No one is sitting and making fun. We're witnessing Socon leadership and running faster.

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM

Just like the ASU fans, you just gotta bash the conference you currently belong to. I guess it makes you little guys feel superior. Only a little, insecure man would say such a thing.

While the conference may be temporarily weaker (in football) with the departure of the stink, the above is a prime example of why, not a tear will be shed by any remaining conference member as the door hits your a$$ on your the way out. xthumbsupx

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Just like the ASU fans, you just gotta bash the conference you currently belong to.

While the conference may be temporarily weaker (in football) with the departure of the stink, the above is a prime example of why, not a tear will be shed by any remaining conference member as the door hits your a$$ on the way out. xthumbsupx

Unless you see 9 National Championships in the next 20 years, a plethora of Walter Payton winners and finalists, ditto Buck Buchanan, and Socon teams with 8 and 9 players at a time on the All America lists, and 2 programs generating 20,000 and 28,000 respectively, in attendance, its not a temporary drop. 2, 3, 4 decades is not temporary, its called permanant.

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Unless you see 9 National Championships in the next 20 years, a plethora of Walter Payton winners and finalists, ditto Buck Buchanan, and Socon teams with 8 and 9 players at a time on the All America lists, and 2 programs generating 20,000 and 28,000 respectively, in attendance, its not a temporary drop. 2, 3, 4 decades is not temporary.

You just continue to make my point, little gsu man. Damn, you guys are insecure. And even if the SoCon never sees another NC, it's not your worry. Like it said, you guys are damn insecure. I hope your post makes your chest swell in your own mind, as no one else is impressed.

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Unless you see 9 National Championships in the next 20 years, a plethora of Walter Payton winners and finalists, ditto Buck Buchanan, and Socon teams with 8 and 9 players at a time on the All America lists, and 2 programs generating 20,000 and 28,000 respectively, in attendance, its not a temporary drop. 2, 3, 4 decades is not temporary.

You just continue to make my point, little gsu man. Damn, you guys are insecure. And even if the SoCon never sees another NC, it's not your worry. Like I said, you guys are damn insecure. I hope your post makes your chest swell in your own mind, as no one else is impressed.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:20 AM
You just continue to make my point, little gsu man. Damn, you guys are insecure. And even if the SoCon never sees another NC, it's not your worry. Like it said, you guys are damn insecure. I hope your post makes your chest swell in your own mind, as no one else is impressed.

Im an App fan dipsh**.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
there are still plenty of all-americans coming from the other socon schools, walter payton, buchanon and robinson award nominees and finalists.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 08:23 AM
You just continue to make my point, little gsu man. Damn, you guys are insecure. And even if the SoCon never sees another NC, it's not your worry. Like I said, you guys are damn insecure. I hope your post makes your chest swell in your own mind, as no one else is impressed.

exactly.

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Im an App fan dipsh**.

The same applies to Appy fans as well, dipsh**

Two peas out of the same pod. You guys have also worn out your welcome in the SoCon as well. Oh yeah, it will take a conference that wants you, before you can move up. How's that going?

However, I'm sure if you belonged to a different conference, you'd have already gotten an invite. ROFLMAO

I'm sure the rest of the hillbillies will chime in soon....4-3-2-1 Go.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
there are still plenty of all-americans coming from the other socon schools, walter payton, buchanon and robinson award nominees and finalists.

If by plenty you mean less than half over the past decades, youre right.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:27 AM
The same applies to Appy fans as well, dipsh**

Two peas out of the same pod. You guys have also worn out your welcome in the SoCon as well. Oh yeah, it will take a conference that want's you, before you can move up. How's that going?

How is being ranked in the triple digits treatin' you?

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 08:30 AM
How is being ranked in the triple digits treatin' you?

Oh, wow. A dagger to my heart!!!!!!

you better make room for apphole if that's the best you got.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Not really impressed with anything you've posted either.

SpeedkingATL
February 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I just hope KSU does a better job at start-up than GaSt and that starts with getting the right Head Coach. SoCon would be the right place for them but will the member schools want a big public as they have been moving toward the private universities. Their current basketball program would fit right into the sorry SoCon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 14th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Why is it that every time seantaylor drops one of his poorly-informed posts in the thread about the state of the SoCon, someone feels the need to drop an almost equally uninformed post acting like GSU and App. wouldn't be a significant losses to the conference?

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I just hope KSU does a better job at start-up than GaSt and that starts with getting the right Head Coach. SoCon would be the right place for them but will the member schools want a big public as they have been moving toward the private universities. Their current basketball program would fit right into the sorry SoCon.

I know one team they could beat right away...

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear.

I'm not going to throw stones about these piss poor SoCon additions because there isn't much I can say about these schools that I can't say about current SoCon members. We will be happy in our new conference and the SoCon's remains will be just as happy as they float ever further into complete obscurity.

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
now that apphole is here, the full array of app and gsu fans are here to talk about about the rest of us.

just like every other thread that has to do with anything no app or gsu but about another socon school.

good grief

fc97
February 14th, 2013, 09:26 AM
why is it that every time any of the group of wcu, utc, samford, elon, wofford, the citadel or furman fans talk about the future of our conference, every thread gets filled up with all this crap from the people leaving trying to remind us about how bad we'll suck, how bad we'll miss them, the sky is falling.

the lot of your are losers with inferiority complexes.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2013, 09:39 AM
why is it that every time any of the group of wcu, utc, samford, elon, wofford, the citadel or furman fans talk about the future of our conference, every thread gets filled up with all this crap from the people leaving trying to remind us about how bad we'll suck, how bad we'll miss them, the sky is falling.

the lot of your are losers with inferiority complexes.

Not sure. I think most App and GSU fans think that the rest of the conference has as high of an opinion of their universities that they do.

If you polled the general SoCon audience, I think you would find that most folks care incredibly little about what App and GSU choose to do with their time.

At the end of the day, I don't go to Furman games to watch the other team. I go to watch my alma mater. I don't give money to other schools, or my time. I frankly do not care what they do. I like talking SoCon football. If they are no longer in the SoCon, I won't put another thought about it.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear.

I'm not going to throw stones about these piss poor SoCon additions because there isn't much I can say about these schools that I can't say about current SoCon members. We will be happy in our new conference and the SoCon's remains will be just as happy as they float ever further into complete obscurity.

invitation to this new conference of which you speak?

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM
At the end of the day, I don't go to Furman games to watch the other team. I go to watch my alma mater. I don't give money to other schools, or my time. I frankly do not care what they do. I like talking SoCon football. If they are no longer in the SoCon, I won't put another thought about it.

Thats the attitude that has led Furman to mediocrity. Furmans football slogan should be "Meh."

walliver
February 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
The real problem with SoCon expansion is ASU and GSU and their current questionable status. Add too soon and the conference is too large, wait too long and we play short-handed for a while. If one leaves without the other, then it's even more complicated.

Meanwhile ASU and GSU are standing in the streetcorner shouting "Love you long time" to the SunBelt, when we all know that no-one loves the SunBelt "long time", and every single SunBelt team would leave for C-USA in a heartbeat given the chance. Even C-USA doesn't want ULL and ULM, and so far, the SunBelt hasn't invited anyone. Although it is obvious what the SunBelt brings to the xSU's, it is not clear what ASU and GSU bring to the SunBelt: specifically, how does adding ASU and GSU help Troy, GaState, ULM, ULL and the Texas schools. WKU is widely reported to be on a C-USA waiting list, and Arkansas State may be on their radar also.

The most important question is "What does this have to do with Kennesaw State adding football anyway?", it seems the discussion board has devolved into a SoCon, ASU and GSU smack board.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM
The real problem with SoCon expansion is ASU and GSU and their current questionable status. Add too soon and the conference is too large, wait too long and we play short-handed for a while. If one leaves without the other, then it's even more complicated.

Meanwhile ASU and GSU are standing in the streetcorner shouting "Love you long time" to the SunBelt, when we all know that no-one loves the SunBelt "long time", and every single SunBelt team would leave for C-USA in a heartbeat given the chance. Even C-USA doesn't want ULL and ULM, and so far, the SunBelt hasn't invited anyone. Although it is obvious what the SunBelt brings to the xSU's, it is not clear what ASU and GSU bring to the SunBelt: specifically, how does adding ASU and GSU help Troy, GaState, ULM, ULL and the Texas schools. WKU is widely reported to be on a C-USA waiting list, and Arkansas State may be on their radar also.

The most important question is "What does this have to do with Kennesaw State adding football anyway?", it seems the discussion board has devolved into a SoCon, ASU and GSU smack board.

The problem for the Socon is that theyre going from 2nd or 3rd class citizens in the football world to 3rd or 4th, and going from one of the most competative leagues, to average. Theyre losing what little media hype they have, may end up losing Davidson too, are going to most likely lose FBS game paychecks, and thousands of tickets on average for every game they dont play App or GSu. App the past 2 years was the highest drawing game on every Socon teams home schedule by about a 2,500 margin with the exception of 1 gsu game. The poorer get poorer.

asumike83
February 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM
just like every other thread that has to do with anything no app or gsu but about another socon school.

I don't disagree with either of these sentiments. The thread was derailed to talk about App within 2 minutes of its creation but not by an App fan. I'm as guilty of taking the bait as anyone but it is hard to stay on topic when the majority of threads even remotely associated with the SoCon are trolled so actively.

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
The problem for the Socon is that theyre going from 2nd or 3rd class citizens in the football world to 3rd or 4th, and going from one of the most competative leagues, to average. Theyre losing what little media hype they have, may end up losing Davidson too, are going to most likely lose FBS game paychecks, and thousands of tickets on average for every game they dont play App or GSu. App the past 2 years was the highest drawing game on every Socon teams home schedule by about a 2,500 margin with the exception of 1 gsu game. The poorer get poorer.

Even if this were true, why do you care?

Or does it make you feel "bigger" thinking that the hillbillies leaving, hurts the SoCon? It's insecurity time for the stink and hillbilly fans.

Rather that ponder the fate of the SoCon without ASU/GSU, you guys should be pondering the fate of ASU/GSU playing in one of the bowls associated with the Sun Belt. Now talk about exciting prospects.

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Their current basketball program would fit right into the sorry SoCon.

Of course, ASU has had nothing to do, with the current state of SoCon basketball?

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 10:12 AM
invitation to this new conference of which you speak?

Good one. Rep points there.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Even if this were true, why do you care?

Or does it make you feel "bigger" thinking that the hillbillies leaving, hurts the SoCon? It's insecurity time for the stink and hillbilly fans.

Rather that ponder the fate of the SoCon without ASU/GSU, you guys should be pondering the fate of ASU/GSU playing in one of the bowls associated with the Sun Belt. Now talk about exciting prospects.

Why do you care that I care? Inferiority complex? Seeking approval?

Sun Belt plays BCS teams, at home. Sun Belt averages 20,000 per game, and has a national TV deal. When is the last time Western drew 20,000? When is the last time Western was on national TV?

Thats what I thought.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I don't disagree with either of these sentiments. The thread was derailed to talk about App within 2 minutes of its creation but not by an App fan. I'm as guilty of taking the bait as anyone but it is hard to stay on topic when the majority of threads even remotely associated with the SoCon are trolled so actively.

it's like you were INVITED to respond

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Sun Belt plays BCS teams, at home. Sun Belt averages 20,000 per game, and has a national TV deal. When is the last time Western drew 20,000? When is the last time Western was on national TV?

Thats what I thought.

invitation to join?

THAT'S what I thought.

chattanoogamocs
February 14th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Why is it that every time seantaylor drops one of his poorly-informed posts in the thread about the state of the SoCon, someone feels the need to drop an almost equally uninformed post acting like GSU and App. wouldn't be a significant losses to the conference?

I feel the same way when Chattownmocs posts about the Mocs dominance of the SoCon next season. ;)

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
invitation to join?

THAT'S what I thought.

Citadel football. 2 winning season in 12 years.

http://youtu.be/CK1372N9zXc

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Citadel football. 2 winning season in 12 years.

http://youtu.be/CK1372N9zXc

the rare 2nd half video. rarely watched because the game was OVER in the 1st qtr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b1BT2IYIFY&playnext=1&list=PLPoYZbKwgY5hlHbh-R9y8Mo_Hq381ZiXV&feature=results_video

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Thats what I thought.

If it's so great, why aren't you guys on the Sun Belt board discussing the virtues of the Sun Belt, rather than hanging around an FCS football board?

Oh yeah, no one has invited you guys to play with the big boys yet?

Still waiting, huh?

Ever think, if anyone wanted either of you, they would have already invited you? After all, someone invited a school that's never even played a down of football yet, and two other schools that just played their first season of conference FCS football.

Of course, no Appy or Stinky fans would draw any logicial conclusions from either of these events - they'd rather rationalize about how good they are, and that their invitation is just around the corner. xsighx xsighx xsighx xsighx xsighx

walliver
February 14th, 2013, 10:26 AM

It won't make a lot of difference. Our TV exposure will not go down. Media rights will not lose value. Davidson turning down the CAA probably has more to do with the SoCon teams staying, not the ones leaving, and to be quite honest, ASU and GSU haven't exactly been dominating in basketball, the only sport Davey really cares about. The conference's primary income is from the NCAA BB tournament money, that isn't going to change. Whatever ASU and GSU do, we will continue to play football on Saturday's and enjoy the games, even if we are playing Kennesaw State, VMI, and ETSU (hopefully outdoors).

Maybe your time would be better spent explaining what ASU would bring to the SunBelt, because so far, they aren't impressed.

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Our TV exposure will not go down.

...duh. You can't get lover than 0 when it comes to exposure.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:31 AM
If it's so great, why aren't you guys on the Sun Belt board discussing the virtues of the Sun Belt, rather than hanging around an FCS football board?

Oh yeah, no one has invited you guys to play with the big boys yet?
Still waiting, huh?

Ever think, if anyone wanted either of you, they would have already invited you? After all, someone invited a school that's never even played a down of football yet, and two other schools that just played their first season of conference FCS football.

Of course, no Appy or Stinky fans would draw any logicial conclusions from either of these events - they'd rather rationalize about how good they are, and that their invitation is just around the corner. xsighx xsighx xsighx xsighx xsighx

My goodness. What are you babbling about? Western doesnt even play at an FCS level, and youre calling out App for not "playing with the big boys?"

The Socon is still waiting on Western to show up.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Maybe your time would be better spent explaining what ASU would bring to the SunBelt, because so far, they aren't impressed.

Looks like youre wrong.

"I believe two institutions from the FCS ranks, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, would fit well in our league and make a whole lot more geographical sense."
http://troytrojans.com/news/2012/12/2/GEN_1202121942.aspx?path=general

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
...duh. You can't get lover than 0 when it comes to exposure.

BUT you're app st. shirley your national brand and money should allow you to just buy the tv time and show your games.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Looks like youre wrong.

"I believe two institutions from the FCS ranks, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, would fit well in our league and make a whole lot more geographical sense."
http://troytrojans.com/news/2012/12/2/GEN_1202121942.aspx?path=general

invitation?

chattanoogamocs
February 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Many ASU and GSU fans are just doing what fans do...they are living vicariously through sport. They want to be moving up, even if the move is to a conference that rational fans have to admit, is at, or near, the bottom of FBS. But it is a starting point.

Fans are competitive and success breeds arrogance. They don't just want to move up, they want to rub it in the face of their rivals..."see how much better my school/team is? We are moving up to FBS!" And invariably, it also makes those fans have to point out how without them, their former conference will surely never survive, because if they can survive, and later thrive, they weren't nearly as critical as they thought.

Of course, the opposing fans get tired of it after a while...especially if the other fans claim it for a couple of years. That's fine. And it is a given they will be on the defensive, you insult my school and I will immediately fight back and tell you how you're school wasn't that important to begin with and you will no doubt fail in your attempt to climb a higher rung on the ladder.

Personally, I say...fare thee well.

Obviously losing GSU and ASU would be a big loss, they are not replaceable with any current teams in FCS in the South...but, the SoCon still has a top 10 team in Wofford, a former National Champion in Furman, and a couple of other teams that have been ranked in the top 25 for at least part of the season the last two years. The cupboard isn't bare, the death of the SoCon is not imminent. It has survived moments like this since the 1930's. I will miss GSU and ASU when they leave, but I am excited about the prospect of adding new members to the conference, particularly if we can add the Mocs biggest all-sports rival, ETSU.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
invitation?

2 in 12?

1/6?

16%?

Well done.

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
BUT you're app st. shirley your national brand and money should allow you to just buy the tv time and show your games.

Not even the mighty App State can float this league to relevancy.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
2 in 12?

1/6?

16%?

Well done.

all of those are better than this

0%

number of invitations

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM
all of those are better than this

0%

number of invitations

Hmm. Whats worse, habitual losing, or dominance, and looking for greater competition and having to wait a while...

Yeah, I've made my choice.

Considering the citadel claims to be all leaders, its a bit ironic theyre going nowhere fast

The Cats
February 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM
My goodness. What are you babbling about? Western doesnt even play at an FCS level, and youre calling out App for not "playing with the big boys?"

The Socon is still waiting on Western to show up.

That maybe true, but you don't see Catamount fans on this board putting down our home on a daily basis.

If you're not happy at home, leave.

Stop talking about it, and make believers out of the rest of the family. xlolx

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hmm. Whats worse, habitual losing, or dominance, and looking for greater competition and having to wait a while...

Yeah, I've made my choice.

DOMINANCE you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YLUVDPFbQ&list=PLPoYZbKwgY5hlHbh-R9y8Mo_Hq381ZiXV

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
That maybe true, but you don't see Catamount fans on this board putting down our home on a daily basis.

If you're not happy at home, leave.

Stop talking about it, and make believers out of the rest of the family. xlolx

The Socon isnt a "home." Are you nuts? The Socon is just a collective group of schools that App and GSU decided to slap around for a few decades. xlolx

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Because those of us who witnessed the departure of Marshall, not to mention ECU (a fan base that is reminding me of ASU's more and more every day) are just not that concerned about it. If you believe that the SoCon was hurt by the departure of those schools, then yeah... the SoCon will be hurt. But most of the schools in the SoCon have different priorities than ASU and GSU. Richmond did too, and they voted with their feet as did W&M. IMHO the SoCon was damaged much more by their departures than by anyone else's.

You go play your university sponsored professional football, and we'll continue to play college football. I'll watch you guys on TV about as much as I currently watch every other FBS team.

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM

This might help your perspective:

The Southern Conference ranks somewhere in between the institution worth of Western Carolina and Appalachian State.

OL FU
February 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM
The Socon isnt a "home." Are you nuts? The Socon is just a collective group of schools that App and GSU decided to slap around for a few decades. xlolx

Let's don't get carried away. There were quite a few decades that you played us well, but not well enough before the last decade

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM
DOMINANCE you say?

Hmm. One loss to the citadel a decade, or getting slapped around for 9 years like the Citadel... and 2 decades with no playoffs..

Yep. Made my choice, its App... again.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Let's don't get carried away. There were quite a few decades that you played us well, but not well enough before the last decade

Too late. xlolx

Unfortunately, I dont think we'll see any of those truly classic App/Furman games anymore.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hmm. One loss to the citadel a decade, or getting slapped around for 9 years like the Citadel... and 2 decades with no playoffs..

Yep. Made my choice, its App... again.

Actually that choice was made FOR you when you were born with a vagina.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM

I knew that ONE Citadel victory wouldnt occupy you long.

People tend to gravitate to what they know, and for the citadel, thats defeat and a 16% success rate.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I knew that ONE Citadel victory wouldnt occupy you long.

People tend to gravitate to what they know, and for the citadel, thats defeat and a 16% success rate.

16%? sounds like your graduation rate.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Don't remind App fans that they have a losing record to "mediocre" Furman.

(cue App fans explaining that Furman's record against App for 30 years is ancient history while the Citadel's playoff resume the past 30 years is completely relevant).

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM

16% is your score on my "gives-a-sh**-ometer...

superman7515
February 14th, 2013, 11:25 AM
http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story_sports/21703334/article-Regents--fee-approval-makes-KSU-football-a-reality?instance=special%20_coverage_right_column

No more delays. Football is coming to Kennesaw State University.

After tabling its vote last month on KSU’s proposed $100-per-student athletic fee increase, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia gave its OK Wednesday. The fee increase was proposed to fund the introduction of new sports to campus — most notably, a football team.

With the Board of Regents’ approval, university President Dan Papp said while there is still an outside chance that football could begin as early as 2014, the fall of 2015 is the most realistic start time.

It’s been a long wait for football, which has been in the works at Kennesaw State since as early as 2008. Now, it’s coming to fruition.

“This program has been in the planning process for a long time,” Papp said. “We had a very, very orderly set of things that we had to do — milestones, I guess, is a good thing to call it. We passed one milestone, moved on to the next one and this was the final milestone — except for hiring a football coach and getting a staff in place, and getting a team in place. We’re very excited by this.”

Kennesaw State organized a 33-person football exploratory committee in December 2009, headed by former University of Georgia coach and athletic director Vince Dooley. The committee organized a campus-wide survey, with 55.5 percent of the student body voting in favor of football and 32 percent against.....

Also in the university’s planning stages is finding a new conference affiliation.

The Atlantic Sun, with which the university has been affiliated since becoming an NCAA Division I program in 2005, does not sponsor football. That leaves KSU to pursue potential affiliations with leagues such as the Southern, Big South or Ohio Valley conferences — all part of the second-tier Football Championship Subdivision.

“I love to be in a conference that’s in the South,” Williams said. “I think that is very important for us — very important for our alumni, very important financially — for travel and those type of things. The Big South, Southern Conference and Ohio Valley seem to be the best and most natural. We have to see what’s out there.”

The football team, which would provide a full allotment of scholarships right away, will share the 8,300-seat KSU Stadium with the women’s soccer and women’s lacrosse teams.

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM

You have a point. Citadel has made quite the effort to ban vaginas from campus. You boys are very partial to bunghole.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM
16% is your score on my "gives-a-sh**-ometer...

yet you respond to my every post.

yep. a Whole lot of not giving a **** going on around here.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Good grief man. Youve been posting about App at about a 99% clip for the past year, in every concievable thread and topic. Compared to you, my measely 20 posts are nothing.

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Come on man. You claim to be completely ambivalent to App's FBS move, yet you are far and away the most active poster in every single thread relating to the topic.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Come on man. You claim to be completely ambivalent to App's FBS move, yet you are far and away the most active poster in every single thread relating to the topic.

1. There is NO move.
2. See #1

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Good grief man. Youve been posting about App at about a 99% clip for the past year, in every concievable thread and topic. Compared to you, my measely 20 posts are nothing.

that's the second time today you've used 99% to attempt to make a point. why are you obsessed with that #?

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 11:44 AM
1. There is NO move.
2. See #1

Keep telling yosef that.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Keep telling yosef that.

got invite?

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 11:59 AM
that's the second time today you've used 99% to attempt to make a point. why are you obsessed with that #?

Why are you 99% obsessed with App?

Is it because App OWNS the Citadel 99% of the time?

Why do you post 1 video 99 times?

Is it because 99% of the time you have no other argument?

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Why are you 99% obsessed with App?

Is it because App OWNS the Citadel 99% of the time?

Why do you post 1 video 99 times?

Is it because 99% of the time you have no other argument?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fa1BeBMr6o

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Not even the mighty App State can float this league to relevancy.

Again, priorities. ASU's and GSU's are obviously different from the majority of the schools in the SoCon. I don't think anyone on either side of this will disagree that the two schools should seek different pastures.

Apphole
February 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Again, priorities. ASU's and GSU's are obviously different from the majority of the schools in the SoCon. I don't think anyone on either side of this will disagree that the two schools should seek different pastures.

Finally a rational thought.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SyMLv2ssDEk

SpeedkingATL
February 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
There has to be a comment concerning KSU football in here somewhere...

Saint3333
February 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM

You do realize that App was the only public school that had a top 10 APR rating in the FCS last year?

superman7515
February 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM
There has to be a comment concerning KSU football in here somewhere...

I tried, but it kinda got lost in the shuffle. I posted an article somewhere back there that they were looking into the Ohio Valley Conference, Big South, and SoCon to try to find a new home. Had not heard much speculation about the OVC, but maybe they try to make a move at the three Atlantic Sun schools coming on board and try to expand with Kennessaw State, Mercer, and East Tennessee.

asumike83
February 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I tried, but it kinda got lost in the shuffle. I posted an article somewhere back there that they were looking into the Ohio Valley Conference, Big South, and SoCon to try to find a new home. Had not heard much speculation about the OVC, but maybe they try to make a move at the three Atlantic Sun schools coming on board and try to expand with Kennessaw State, Mercer, and East Tennessee.

The OVC would be an odd choice, they'd be a bit of a geographic outlier.

superman7515
February 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM
They wouldn't be that far out of the way, no more than Samford in the SoCon, and if they bring along Mercer it may be more interesting to them. Four schools in Tennessee (5 if they get ETSU) are pretty convenient as well.

asumike83
February 14th, 2013, 02:33 PM
They wouldn't be that far out of the way, no more than Samford in the SoCon, and if they bring along Mercer it may be more interesting to them. Four schools in Tennessee (5 if they get ETSU) are pretty convenient as well.

True, bringing another GA school would definitely help and the TN schools aren't too far. I was thinking more of the IL, MO and KY schools but all things considered, it's not too bad.

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 02:47 PM

5 TN schools?!?

Holy cow we'll all be annhiliated what with the brigades of the most talented players in the universe all arrayed against us.

Not sure if there's anything those of us who recruit heavily in the wasteland that is SC can do to counter this threat.

superman7515
February 14th, 2013, 03:35 PM
5 TN schools?!?

Holy cow we'll all be annhiliated what with the brigades of the most talented players in the universe all arrayed against us.

Not sure if there's anything those of us who recruit heavily in the wasteland that is SC can do to counter this threat.

Don't worry, they'll still choose Chatty.

Eaglesrus
February 14th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Not sure. I think most App and GSU fans think that the rest of the conference has as high of an opinion of their universities that they do.

If you polled the general SoCon audience, I think you would find that most folks care incredibly little about what App and GSU choose to do with their time.

I don't think that, I'm certainly not close to being alone in not thinking that and don't believe that I'm even in a minority, at least of GSU fans. It's very apparent to me that others in the SoCon don't think much of us, which is one of the few reasons that, though I'm not excited about going FBS, I've become convinced that we need to if/when the opportunity arises.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I don't think that, I'm certainly not close to being alone in not thinking that and don't believe that I'm even in a minority, at least of GSU fans. It's very apparent to me that others in the SoCon don't think much of us, which is one of the few reasons that, though I'm not excited about going FBS, I've become convinced that we need to if/when the opportunity arises.

Its apparent that the majority of FCS schools and fanbases dont think enough about their own teams.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 05:16 PM

What OTHER people think is THAT important to you? The insecurity issues with the two of y'all would be HILARIOUS, and REALLY they still are, if they weren't so ****ING SAD.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Its apparent that the majority of FCS schools and fanbases dont think enough about their own teams.

99%?

adamsputnik
February 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM
If the quality of this discussion is any measure, perhaps we'd be better off skipping the SoCon so we don't have to put up with a parade of idiots.

Surely there's a smacktalk thread somewhere to house these irrelevancies?

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 06:22 PM
If the quality of this discussion is any measure, perhaps we'd be better off skipping the SoCon so we don't have to put up with a parade of idiots.

There isn't a nuthouse large enough to house all of us.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2013, 06:38 PM

If you guys are in the SoCon, most of the idiots will already be gone. :)

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Again, priorities.

citdog
February 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM

just in case Kennesaw State people hadn't heard.

FURMAN SUCKS

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 07:14 PM

+1

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Finally a rational thought.

I'll be honest. I have been around and following the SoCon even before I chose to go to The Citadel. I remember ECU. When App came to the SoCon it was not that big of a deal. In fact, I thought ASU was always a pretty good fit in spite of the size differences. Richmond and W&M obviously did not agree, but they did what they had to do. I am tied by family and property to Boone, so I prefer road games there to Richmond or Williamsburg.

However, I wasn't as happy about GSU coming in. I thought even back in the 1990s that the SoCon was just a stepping stone and I was right. ASU was something of an outlier, but not enough to change the face if the conference. Plus, ASU was content for quite some time.

Now everybody's dissatisfied. I ask you though: where would ASU be if not for the SoCon over the last three decades? Competition makes schools like ASU better. Would they be in a position to bad mouth the SoCon if they had not been members in the first place?

GSU, I could care less about the ***** talking. At the end of the day they just have not been around long enough. But ASU? ASU football grew up in the SoCon, and the ***** talkers are either kids, or those who lack a sense or knowledge of their own history.

But again, its about priorities. ASUs have changed over the last few years and that's fine. Football takes precedence over more things than it does at the smaller member schools. I wish ASU luck, but the crap talk is just ****ting your own bed. ASU became ASU in the SoCon. People need to remember that.

Sandlapper Spike
February 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I am still less than convinced that Kennesaw State is SoCon-bound.

Saint3333
February 14th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Both have benefitted from App being a member let's not forget that.

CID1990
February 14th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I am still less than convinced that Kennesaw State is SoCon-bound.

I would think that maybe they would replace a Big South team that makes the jump to the SoCon?

cmaxwellgsu
February 14th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I would think that maybe they would replace a Big South team that makes the jump to the SoCon?

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The only team that would be able to join the SoCon would be VMI (don't see Liberty or CCU being voted in), and I think Kennesaw is a solid enough school to be accepted by the private and public schools. I could see the Big South taking them no matter what happens to VMI since their membership is low. However, that would be a moot point if the SoCon came calling.

seantaylor
February 15th, 2013, 03:17 AM
I don't think anyone was badmouthing the Socon until Jimmy Iovine arrived. That changed the whole trajectory of the conference. There was no reason to antagonize the public school and change the impending order of the league. Pretty much half public, half private.

As for GSU, this is just a natural course of events. What else can we do in the FCS? We have dominated the league over 3, soon to be 4, decades. 6 national titles. One 3 years out of the gate. 3 different coaches with titles. We now have 21,000 students, and will be at 25,000 by 2015. I'm sure Appy feels the same thing.

fc97
February 15th, 2013, 06:50 AM

the only big south teams that have been mentioned are unca and winthrop. both are in metros that are currently represented by the socon.

fc97
February 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I don't think anyone was badmouthing the Socon until Jimmy Iovine arrived. That changed the whole trajectory of the conference. There was no reason to antagonize the public school and change the impending order of the league. Pretty much half public, half private.

As for GSU, this is just a natural course of events. What else can we do in the FCS? We have dominated the league over 3, soon to be 4, decades. 6 national titles. One 3 years out of the gate. 3 different coaches with titles. We now have 21,000 students, and will be at 25,000 by 2015. I'm sure Appy feels the same thing.

and the league is going to stay the course as far as being half public and half private. elon and samford both came from leagues that were a mix of public and private, neither have a desire to being in an all private league. that's why whatever happens will be a hybrid of additions.

as for app and gsu leaving because of size, that's a silly argument. size has nothing to do with it. elon is roughly the size of davidson, wofford and furman put together and growing. that right there is enough to make elon different than the other private schools. if app and gsu fans want to say that they're leaving because its the logical next step. none of us are going to fault anyone for that.

the difference is that app and gsu fans, as a large and vocal group, are not saying that. the continue to demonize the membership and the conference makeup for the reason. the quotes in the savannah paper by the gsu ad is a prime example of that demonization. there's no reason for this, its burning bridges, and it's making the core (the rest of us) appear in a bad light everywhere you post. when marshall moved up and out, you didn't see this type of thing happen. you don't see jmu or odu fans blaming uncw and william and mary. you don't see those fans blaming the conference for picking up 3 of 4 private schools in the last major expansion. that's the real difference. you guys sit and denigrate the rest of us to make the point of why you're bigger and better when you guys should just be humble and thank the conference for taking you, thank you administration for making the wofford, davidson, elon, samford, uncg, charleston additions and be happy you're moving on.

so if the core teams think that etsu, ksu, mercer, fgsu and vmi are the best choices. why not. one of the biggest complaints by app fans 10 years ago was the footprint. they expanded, unanimously, with adding samford and that expanded the footprint. and still the complainers weren't happy. vmi, two georgia schools, another tennessee school and a florida school are being discussed. all are outside the footprint, 2 will help with basketball tremendously. two help to give the atlanta market. 1 helps expand to a market that they've not been in for 50 years. and still you guys are complaining. 1 is a large public school, and still you guys are complaining.

so yeah, when citdog makes his posts, its in direct competition with the two app idiots that hijack any and every thread about any other socon school. we don't all agree with him, but we all do agree with him because we're all sick and tired of hearing you guys tell us how bad we suck and how bad the conference sucks as the the reason why you're moving. that's *****ty of you guys. its not even smack anymore. its just simple to make you guys feel superior to the rest of us.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2013, 07:24 AM
and the league is going to stay the course as far as being half public and half private. elon and samford both came from leagues that were a mix of public and private, neither have a desire to being in an all private league. that's why whatever happens will be a hybrid of additions.

as for app and gsu leaving because of size, that's a silly argument. size has nothing to do with it. elon is roughly the size of davidson, wofford and furman put together and growing. that right there is enough to make elon different than the other private schools. if app and gsu fans want to say that they're leaving because its the logical next step. none of us are going to fault anyone for that.

the difference is that app and gsu fans, as a large and vocal group, are not saying that. the continue to demonize the membership and the conference makeup for the reason. the quotes in the savannah paper by the gsu ad is a prime example of that demonization. there's no reason for this, its burning bridges, and it's making the core (the rest of us) appear in a bad light everywhere you post. when marshall moved up and out, you didn't see this type of thing happen. you don't see jmu or odu fans blaming uncw and william and mary. you don't see those fans blaming the conference for picking up 3 of 4 private schools in the last major expansion. that's the real difference. you guys sit and denigrate the rest of us to make the point of why you're bigger and better when you guys should just be humble and thank the conference for taking you, thank you administration for making the wofford, davidson, elon, samford, uncg, charleston additions and be happy you're moving on.

so if the core teams think that etsu, ksu, mercer, fgsu and vmi are the best choices. why not. one of the biggest complaints by app fans 10 years ago was the footprint. they expanded, unanimously, with adding samford and that expanded the footprint. and still the complainers weren't happy. vmi, two georgia schools, another tennessee school and a florida school are being discussed. all are outside the footprint, 2 will help with basketball tremendously. two help to give the atlanta market. 1 helps expand to a market that they've not been in for 50 years. and still you guys are complaining. 1 is a large public school, and still you guys are complaining.

so yeah, when citdog makes his posts, its in direct competition with the two app idiots that hijack any and every thread about any other socon school. we don't all agree with him, but we all do agree with him because we're all sick and tired of hearing you guys tell us how bad we suck and how bad the conference sucks as the the reason why you're moving. that's *****ty of you guys. its not even smack anymore. its just simple to make you guys feel superior to the rest of us.

Well said.

I think the complaining about the size of the universities is completely overblown. I have never once seen any credible information that suggests the presidents of the universities are nearly a fraction as concerned with the enrollment of the respective SoCon schools as folks on this forum are.

I completely agree with your points. The SoCon is the fourth oldest conference in the U.S. Virtually every SEC and ACC team played under its banner. Teams have moved on for years, yet the conference still stands as one of the top mid-major/FCS conferences in the country still. To think that the SoCon is going to crumble after 100 years because two schools decide to take their toys elsewhere is nonsense.

Nobody misses Marshall. They left, the conference probably wasn't as good for a year or two, and then other schools stepped right in and took their place. If they want to move, all the best. Like most of you, my only beef is that folks feel the need to drag the SoCon through the mud to make their case for why they want to leave. Such a position completely ignores why your football team is relevant in the first place.

CID1990
February 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't be too sure about that. The only team that would be able to join the SoCon would be VMI (don't see Liberty or CCU being voted in), and I think Kennesaw is a solid enough school to be accepted by the private and public schools. I could see the Big South taking them no matter what happens to VMI since their membership is low. However, that would be a moot point if the SoCon came calling.

I was thinking in terms of VMI back to SoCon and KSU replacing them in the BS.

eaglemachine
February 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Well said.

I think the complaining about the size of the universities is completely overblown. I have never once seen any credible information that suggests the presidents of the universities are nearly a fraction as concerned with the enrollment of the respective SoCon schools as folks on this forum are.

I completely agree with your points. The SoCon is the fourth oldest conference in the U.S. Virtually every SEC and ACC team played under its banner. Teams have moved on for years, yet the conference still stands as one of the top mid-major/FCS conferences in the country still. To think that the SoCon is going to crumble after 100 years because two schools decide to take their toys elsewhere is nonsense.

Nobody misses Marshall. They left, the conference probably wasn't as good for a year or two, and then other schools stepped right in and took their place. If they want to move, all the best. Like most of you, my only beef is that folks feel the need to drag the SoCon through the mud to make their case for why they want to leave. Such a position completely ignores why your football team is relevant in the first place.

I think school enrollment has more to do with it than you think. It is hard to get students of a large university to meaningfully support there schools athletics if the competition if you are playing schools 1/20 the size. I dont think anyone is bashing the socon as a bad conference or saying it will collapse. There will be a hole left by GSU and ASU, but as you said other schools will step it up. The issue for GSU at least is to elevate the school's image to a national level and compete with schools that sre more similar to ours. Also GSU was relevant before joining the socon as you should know..

Saint3333
February 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I really enjoy reading how the teams that left for the ACC and SEC have any bearing on the SoCon today.

That was 1932 and 1953, time to let it go.

What this really illustrates in the SoCon is a conference that was historically brought in members, help build them up, and if they are successful there they move on to "better" conferences.

I've very grateful for the SoCon and its member that believed in a rural mountain school of less than 6K students. Today that small university has over 17K students, has a very good academic profile for a regional public institution, and won more SoCon championships than any other program during that span.

Yes we have some fans that are annoying about this potential move, but at the end of the day App State has to do what they see is best for them long-term and right now our leaders don't believe that is staying in the SoCon. That may rub some the wrong way, but that is reality.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I really enjoy reading how the teams that left for the ACC and SEC have any bearing on the SoCon today.

That was 1932 and 1953, time to let it go.

What this really illustrates in the SoCon is a conference that was historically brought in members, help build them up, and if they are successful there they move on to "better" conferences.

I've very grateful for the SoCon and its member that believed in a rural mountain school of less than 6K students. Today that small university has over 17K students, has a very good academic profile for a regional public institution, and won more SoCon championships than any other program during that span.

Yes we have some fans that are annoying about this potential move, but at the end of the day App State has to do what they see is best for them long-term and right now our leaders don't believe that is staying in the SoCon. That may rub some the wrong way, but that is reality.

Again, your last paragraph makes the point. We (the other folks) do not care if you go, and wish you the best, but there's absolutely no need to denigrate the conference, or our respective institutions (many of which have a long and storied history of athletic and academic success) in the process. That kind of stuff just annoys everyone.

I'm not sure if your SoCon championship comment is related to all sports, or just football. App State and Furman both have 12 SoCon championships in football, all of which came after App joined the conference.

citdog
February 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Again, your last paragraph makes the point. We (the other folks) do not care if you go, and wish you the best, but there's absolutely no need to denigrate the conference, or our respective institutions (many of which have a long and storied history of athletic and academic success) in the process. That kind of stuff just annoys everyone.

I'm not sure if your SoCon championship comment is related to all sports, or just football. App State and Furman both have 12 SoCon championships in football, all of which came after App joined the conference.

don't use facts vermin scum. yosefs and pigs *** hate FACTS.

Saint3333
February 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
It relates to all sports.

It seems like you guys are getting upset at what half a dozen App and GSU fans are saying about the SoCon, that is a little short-sighted. Let them talk, by responding you only add fuel to the fire they want to burn. Citdog is a great example, he can't really believe half the crap he posts, he's just having fun watching the aftermath, sometimes it is entertaining I must say.

Big picture both universities are doing what they see as best.

fc97
February 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
It relates to all sports.

It seems like you guys are getting upset at what half a dozen App and GSU fans are saying about the SoCon, that is a little short-sighted. Let them talk, by responding you only add fuel to the fire they want to burn. Citdog is a great example, he can't really believe half the crap he posts, he's just having fun watching the aftermath, sometimes it is entertaining I must say.

Big picture both universities are doing what they see as best.

its considerably more than a half dozen. you're just as guilty as any in that group also.

GlassOnion
February 15th, 2013, 10:52 AM

The Romans had a long history of academic and athletic success too. Wonder how that worked for them? xviolinx

Saint3333
February 15th, 2013, 12:06 PM
its considerably more than a half dozen. you're just as guilty as any in that group also.

Yeah I'm down right terrible and have no perspective. Give me a break.

I always appreciate how you like to portray all App fans as villains.

fc97
February 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah I'm down right terrible and have no perspective. Give me a break.

I always appreciate how you like to portray all App fans as villains.

i just did a search on your username, socon and private schools. guess what i found? too much to list. you act all high and mighty but at the end you're just as bad as the rest. the ones that dont do it are in the minority rather than the other way around.

ill give this though. gsu fans do it way less than app fans in general

GlassOnion
February 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Lol,

I'd love to use a facepalm here, but I used them all on the Western guy...

fc97
February 15th, 2013, 12:30 PM
welcome to how the rest of us feel every time you and apphole make a post.

Apphole
February 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
welcome to how the rest of us feel every time you and apphole make a post.

You gay for me or something?

Apphole
February 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Well there's about 1/3 more of us.

superman7515
February 15th, 2013, 12:40 PM
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/feb/09/david-moulton-time-for-the-a-sun-to-set-in-fgcu/

Which brings us back to FGCU.

My advice guys? Run for the hills while you can.

Where should they go?

Since FGCU doesn't play football — and likely won't for awhile — it's highly doubtful that Conference USA or the Sun Belt would want them. The Atlantic 10 would be shooting for the stars but with no current members south of Charlotte, gaining their acceptance would be a stretch.

The Southland doesn't fit geographically for the Eagles and FGCU doesn't fit well for the Big South. The SWAC and MEAC are made up of the historically black colleges, which leaves FGCU two realistic possibilities — the Southern Conference (SoCon) and Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

Neither conference deems playing football a necessity for membership.

The SoCon will have 11 schools next year and the CAA will have 10, so both have room for expansion.

The SoCon exists within five southern states (Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina). Geographically, it makes the most sense but in stature takes a back seat to the Colonial.

The CAA is spread out over eight states from as far north as Massachusetts (Northeastern) and next year as far south as South Carolina (College of Charleston). It consists of schools like Hofstra (Long Island), Drexel (Philadelphia), the University of Delaware and George Mason.

FGCU may be able to join the SoCon solo. Ideally however, they'd team up with one of the other Florida A-Sun schools (Jacksonville, University of North Florida, Stetson) to come with them no matter where they go.

Saint3333
February 15th, 2013, 12:50 PM
i just did a search on your username, socon and private schools. guess what i found? too much to list. you act all high and mighty but at the end you're just as bad as the rest. the ones that dont do it are in the minority rather than the other way around.

I bet you found that I have been against SoCon leadership for quite some time no doubt. It has been terrible, I will not apologize for pointing that out.

rokamortis
February 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/feb/09/david-moulton-time-for-the-a-sun-to-set-in-fgcu/

What do you think he means by "FGCU doesn't fit well for the Big South"?

fc97
February 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
What do you think he means by "FGCU doesn't fit well for the Big South"?

probably just that the big south doesnt have a school in a contiguous state to florida, let alone within roughly 500 miles of of fgsu

UAalum72
February 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
probably just that the big south doesnt have a school in a contiguous state to florida, let alone within roughly 500 miles of of fgsu

Or that a rapidly-growing public university like FGCU doesn't fit with the mostly-private Big South.

Eaglesrus
February 15th, 2013, 05:38 PM

That works both ways, correct?

citdog
February 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM
That works both ways, correct?

nope. pigs *** is still pigs ***

bjtheflamesfan
February 15th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Hmm...sounds like I might want to spruce up the ol resume...see about doing some broadcasting down there

NoCoDanny
February 15th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I can't be bothered to read 17 pages of an off topic pissing contest so this was probably mentioned but what is their stadium situation?

Eaglesrus
February 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM
nope. pigs *** is still pigs ***

Excellent, thanks for proving my point.

citdog
February 15th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Excellent, thanks for proving my point.

you're welcome.

23-21

slostang
February 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I can't be bothered to read 17 pages of an off topic pissing contest so this was probably mentioned but what is their stadium situation?

They have a great 8,300 seat (easily expandable) soccer stadium built in 2010.

Link: http://www.ksuowls.com/sports/2012/7/17/GEN_0717120533.aspx?tab=fifththirdbankstadium

superman7515
February 15th, 2013, 11:29 PM

They have a great 8,300 seat (easily expandable) soccer stadium built in 2010.

Link: http://www.ksuowls.com/sports/2012/7/17/GEN_0717120533.aspx?tab=fifththirdbankstadium

Fifth Third Bank is providing a multi-million dollar "donation" that just happens to come with naming rights for the stadium. The AD said they weren't planning on expanding the stadium, just making the needed changes to be able to convert it to use for football also.

OL FU
February 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Well the best news about KSU starting football is I now live 5 miles from the campus.

rokamortis
February 16th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Not sure if that would be the case - since the CAA represents a similar geographic disparity.

rokamortis
February 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Or that a rapidly-growing public university like FGCU doesn't fit with the mostly-private Big South.

Pretty sure the BSC has a even split between public and private schools. It would be the largest public school but Coastal and Radford wouldn't be too far behind.

I really don't care one way or the other about FGCU joining the BSC - but still don't see how he could state that without providing solid reasoning. It may just be that he doesn't see the BSC as a step up but he should have just come out and said it. Seems to me that the BSC should be in consideration relative to his thoughts on the SoCon and CAA.

NoCoDanny
February 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM
It's like a mini version of that FC Dallas stadium.

bjtheflamesfan
February 16th, 2013, 06:54 PM
KSU is not too far from Atlanta if Im not mistaken so itd give whichever conference that they join, Big South, SoCon or whatever, greater access to a major media market

OL FU
February 16th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I am 25 miles from Buckhead where I work. KSU is 5 miles south of me. So Yeah 20 miles from buckhead 25 to 30 from downtown but who wants to go downtown

superman7515
February 16th, 2013, 10:10 PM
KSU is not too far from Atlanta if Im not mistaken so itd give whichever conference that they join, Big South, SoCon or whatever, greater access to a major media market

Ask the SoCon guys, that's a moot point. They have no media deal, so they can add NYC and LA, it won't make a difference.

fc97
February 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Ask the SoCon guys, that's a moot point. They have no media deal, so they can add NYC and LA, it won't make a difference.

it might matter to basketball as any new media deal will cover that alone. but ksu is in the atlantic sun with a lot of major markets and doesnt have a tv deal now either.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM

It's true, though. Samford has the biggest market of any SoCon team. What has that done for us since they joined?

CID1990
February 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM
The last thing I want to do is watch a SoCon game on TV while the announcers segue into commentary about the SEC and ACC at every opportunity. They do it at mid major games too.

Jiggs
February 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
It's true, though. Samford has the biggest market of any SoCon team. What has that done for us since they joined?

One step closer to a televsion deal. Having the Atlanta market will be a another step. Purging the huge markets of Boone and Statesboro will be another step.

Saint3333
February 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Love Sammy smack.

There is a big difference in market location and market share. The new Big east members are learning that TV execs have figured this out.

seantaylor
February 19th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Hilarious. Birmingham is a total ish hole.

The Cats
February 19th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Hilarious. Birmingham is a total ish hole.

Says the man, hoping no one brings up Statesboro.

cmaxwellgsu
February 19th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Says the man, hoping no one brings up Statesboro.

And people are just dying to be in Cullowhee??

fc97
February 19th, 2013, 07:45 AM
NO

western, wofford and furman have the biggest media market; followed closely by samford and then elon.

Apphole
February 19th, 2013, 08:11 AM
NO

western, wofford and furman have the biggest media market; followed closely by samford and then elon.

Whaaa??.....

The Whee is so desolate and isolated, it makes Boone look like LA. It's over an hour from Asheville if that's what you're going for here.

fc97
February 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Whaaa??.....

The Whee is so desolate and isolated, it makes Boone look like LA. It's over an hour from Asheville if that's what you're going for here.

if youre strictly talking media market, western is in greenville and app is in charlotte.

if you are talking metropolitan area, then elon/uncg is in the biggest which is greensboro at 1.7 million followed by furman and wofford in greenville at 1.2 million.

it depends on how you want to spin the stats.

Apphole
February 19th, 2013, 08:37 AM
if youre strictly talking media market app is in charlotte..

Don't tell that to the UNCc fans.

App is solidly in the Winston-Salem market an marginally in the Charlotte market (mostly because we have so many alumni in Charlotte).

fc97
February 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Don't tell that to the UNCc fans.

App is solidly in the Winston-Salem market an marginally in the Charlotte market (mostly because we have so many alumni in Charlotte).

first, winston-salem isn't a market alone, its part of the greensboro market. and if you look at the market on the whole, app isnt well covered outside of nbc and the journal. but, they are talking media markets. boone is in the charlotte market by definition.

Saint3333
February 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Market location vs. market share - BIG difference. No one outside of BCS programs have more than 5% of market share in their home city.

The Cats
February 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM
And people are just dying to be in Cullowhee??

Asks the man who's obviously never been to Cullowhee.

GlassOnion
February 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Asks the man who's obviously never been to Cullowhee.

Most people that have been to the Whee, didnt know they were there.

The Cats
February 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Most people that have been to the Whee, didnt know they were there.

I think this would be hard to miss seeing, even for a boone hillbilly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/WCU_2007.jpg

Apphole
February 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I think this would be hard to miss seeing, even for a boone hillbilly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/WCU_2007.jpg

I've been to the Whee twice. That is a beautiful picture. When I was there it seemed like a smaller version of App with older looking buildings. The biggest difference, which is exemplified by this photo, is the lack of anything adjacent to the campus. The "town" area is a little ways off. It blew my mind how isolated it was. We were going down the highway, there wasn't a single building in sight and then BAM--on campus.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Cullowhee was a beautiful place. Unfortunately my only experience visiting was watching Furman play quite literally the most bizzare football game I've seen them play.

citdog
February 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Cullowhee was a beautiful place. Unfortunately my only experience visiting was watching Furman play quite literally the most bizzare football game I've seen them play.

Was that when Dingleberry Martin threw 6 picks and y'all got beat?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?3339-Dingleberry-Martin-and-FU-prove-how-much-they-suck&highlight=dingleberry+fu

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Was that when Dingleberry Martin threw 6 picks and y'all got beat?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?3339-Dingleberry-Martin-and-FU-prove-how-much-they-suck&highlight=dingleberry+fu

Second game of 2005. Furman had just won a tightone on the road in Jacksonville, AL. Went on the road against a Western team that had an "off week" against Mars Hill. WCU went up 27-0 in a complete stunner. Furman flipped a switch, scored three touchdowns in six minutes, and then forced a three and out. I was breathing a lot better down 27-21 and Furman with the ball actually starting to look like the heavy favorite they were.

Martin then threw a pick six to a defensive end, I think. He threw another pick on the very next possession (maybe the very next throw). Scored soon after it for the final tally. Furman played about was well as I have ever seen them play for those six minutes, and about as bad as I've seen them play for the remainder.

I can't recall how many picks Martin had, but it was a couple of crippling ones.

Eaglesrus
February 19th, 2013, 09:47 PM

Hmmm, must be something in the air there. I can say the same about Georgia Southern, but coming back from being down by 28 at the start of the 4th quarter to win in overtime was bizarre in as good of a way as possible, I think.

pike51
February 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM
How about we all just take a short break...

http://poopingpets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/bear.jpg

http://poopingpets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/polar-bear.jpg