PDA

View Full Version : The new "wussification" of college football :(

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8944240/ncaa-rule-add-ejection-illegal-hit

They're one vote away, which looks like a sure thing since it passed the Rules Committee by a unanimous vote that not only will helmet-to-helmet hits on a "defenseless receiver" be a 15-yard penalty, but the offending player will also be ejected as well.

You better hope your team has a deep secondary.

Uncle Rico's Clan
February 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I understand the player safety aspect, but this is a terrible idea. Far too often any big hit results in a penalty for helmet-to-helmet contact, while in reality a lot of clean hits are being penalized. This rule is going to have too great an impact on the game, with a huge advantage being given to the offense.

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2013, 02:13 PM
The committee also made several other proposals to improve the game. The committee proposed:

• To add a 10-second runoff with less than a minute remaining in either half when the sole reason for the clock to stop is an injury.
• To establish three seconds as the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.
• To require a player that changes numbers during the game to report this to the referee, who will announce this.
• To only allow one player number to be worn by the same team and participate at the same position (e.g., two quarterbacks on the same team are not allowed to have the same number).
• To require teams to have either their jersey or pants contrast in color to the playing field.
• To allow the use of electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew after successful experimentation by the Southeastern Conference. This is not a required piece of equipment but will allow officiating crews to use this tool.
• To allow the Big 12 Conference to experiment with using an eighth official on the field in conference games. This official would be placed in the backfield opposite the referee.
• To allow instant replay to adjust the clock at the end of each quarter. Previously this provision was only in place for the end of each half.

CFBfan
February 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I like this one:

• To require teams to have either their jersey or pants contrast in color to the playing field.

that hideous red turf is bad enough then you have to try to see guys dressed in all red running around on it!!!! (imagine the opposing team trying to breakdown that film!)

Go Green
February 13th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I like this one:

that hideous red turf is bad enough then you have to try to see guys dressed in all red running around on it!!!! (imagine the opposing team trying to breakdown that film!)

Dartmouth has never gone with all-green unis, and I guess we never will now...

Then again, our roads are all-white, so let's hope that we don't play any road games after a snowstorm. xeyebrowx

cmaxwellgsu
February 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8944240/ncaa-rule-add-ejection-illegal-hit

They're one vote away, which looks like a sure thing since it passed the Rules Committee by a unanimous vote that not only will helmet-to-helmet hits on a "defenseless receiver" be a 15-yard penalty, but the offending player will also be ejected as well.

With the idiot refs in the SoCon, GSU's gonna have to dress out the student section......

kdinva
February 13th, 2013, 02:40 PM

so, a receiver could "duck" just before the tackle, making the point of impact his helmet, versus his torso, and the DB gets tossed...........lovely.....

bluehenbillk
February 13th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I like this one:

Familiarly known as the Boise rule.

Doc QB
February 13th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Dartmouth has never gone with all-green unis, and I guess we never will now...

Then again, our roads are all-white, so let's hope that we don't play any road games after a snowstorm. xeyebrowx

Yes you have.

lionsrking2
February 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM

I wouldn't call it "wussification" but it's a bad rule even though the intentions are good. If anything, this rule could lead to more injuries, and will most certainly lead to more big plays by the offense ... playing at full speed, reacting off instinct is the best way to position your body to avoid injury, but this rule will cause DBs to play more tentative and consciously thinking about angle and head position. The last thing you need to be doing is trying to break up a play, wondering if you're going in at the proper angle, or will I get ejected ... not to mention you give the officials way too much power to impact a game. Hopefully the better officials realize this and and really think hard and long before throwing a flag.

CFBfan
February 13th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Familiarly known as the Boise rule.

i was thinking eastern wash.....even worse than potatoe country (imo) but certainly boise aplies as well

Go Green
February 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Yes you have.

Dang, I stand corrected.

Must have been the mid-to-late 2000s, and I'm trying hard to forget that entire decade. :(

IBleedYellow
February 13th, 2013, 03:33 PM
The only rule that I don't like from those is the Instant Ejection. The offensive player that learns how to fake this correctly to bring the contact and pull out even the best defenders in very quickly for a cheap ejection.

Glad to hear about the Anti EWU/Boise Uniform rule.

jmufan999
February 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I hate the ejection rule. Too harsh.

Skjellyfetti
February 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Not as dumb as Jeremy Kimbrough being ejected from the Chattanooga game and suspended from the Wofford game a couple years ago for removing his helmet in celebration after a game-clinching interception against Chattanooga.

15-yard penalty? Sure. Ejection and suspension? **** no.

How many penalties were there the past season for hits on defenseless receivers? This is going to be a disaster.

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Wussification?

That began with the advent of helmets.

Get rid of them.

Then all these little 4.4 40 toothpick DBs and safeties who have to use their bodies as missiles to tackle will be a thing of the past and we can get real football players back in the game.

BEAR
February 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM
OH nice.... this will be the NCAA's statement next year.

"Due to numerous passing records being broken, the NCAA has decided to limit the number of passes each team is allowed to throw in any one (1) series." xlolx

Can you imagine the records that are going to be broken with CBs laying off the tackling like they need to do? This rule sucks. FCS teams can't afford to lose players on a call like that! I don't want the lucky team to win a championship, I want the best team with all its players to win it. This rule could essentially take out a teams best defender on an unintentional helmet hit. Geez.

Ivytalk
February 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
The nanny state hits college FB.xsmhxxsmhx

The Eagle's Cliff
February 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Wussification?

That began with the advent of helmets.

Get rid of them.

Then all these little 4.4 40 toothpick DBs and safeties who have to use their bodies as missiles to tackle will be a thing of the past and we can get real football players back in the game.

I like that idea. Back to leather helmets. No gloves, arm pads, but modest shoulder pads to protect the clavicle and foam rubber thigh and hip pads.

Take a look at rugby players. Say goodbye to the chicken **** pass happy offenses

frozennorth
February 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM
The committee also made several other proposals to improve the game. The committee proposed:

• To add a 10-second runoff with less than a minute remaining in either half when the sole reason for the clock to stop is an injury.

need to run out the clock? Take a dive!

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I like that idea. Back to leather helmets. No gloves, arm pads, but modest shoulder pads to protect the clavicle and foam rubber thigh and hip pads.

Take a look at rugby players. Say goodbye to the chicken **** pass happy offenses

I'm dead serious.

Folks should read up on the history of college football, though. President Teddy Roosevelt very nearly completely outlawed it on college campuses in the early part of the 20th century due to fatalities. The reason for the injuries was because the rules of the game had departed from their rugby roots, and now there were more head in collisions instead if the glancing blows most common in rugby. Primarily this was due to the up the middle runs and play stoppages. A running back at the start of a play was basically running headlong into 7-8 men, instead of taking on 1-2 on an end around.

Roosevelt commanded schools to make the game safer or he would outlaw it, and the response was padding and helmets.

I really would like to see equipment changes in the form of LESS equipment including minimal head protection. However, I think the rules would still have to change. The dive play really evolved and became much more common with the advent of helmets, so it stands to reason that the game would still fundamentally change without the padding. Plus, we probably would see a very sharp decline in parents allowing their kids to take up the game at young ages the way they do today.

Still, I wonder what would be better- rules fundamentally changed in the current structure which would make the game much less enjoyable, OR a fundamental change to the game that would be a natural result of reducing the protective equipment.

I can remember my coaches teaching me, drilling it into me... put your face into the other guys' numbers.. lead with your shoulder on solo tackles and wrap
up... that's what your pads are for, to deliver a lick! The game has been more fundamentally changed by the equipment than any other factor.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I can remember my coaches teaching me, drilling it into me... put your face into the other guys' numbers.. lead with your shoulder on solo tackles and wrap
up... that's what your pads are for, to deliver a lick! The game has been more fundamentally changed by the equipment than any other factor.

Part of the problem is people aren't tackling this way. If you had more defenders tackling with their mask up and going into the body like that, then this wouldn't be a problem. Going for the big hit to be on ESPN has led to a lot of the issues we're seeing. Poor fundamentals have become such a safety issue that there is an attempt to now regulate instead of making sure players tackle correctly.

CID1990
February 13th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Part of the problem is people aren't tackling this way. If you had more defenders tackling with their mask up and going into the body like that, then this wouldn't be a problem. Going for the big hit to be on ESPN has led to a lot of the issues we're seeing. Poor fundamentals have become such a safety issue that there is an attempt to now regulate instead of making sure players tackle correctly.

That's right. My main point in saying was that the equipment has become a part of the game to the point that its use becomes a part of the fundamentals. If there were no helmets, there's no way coaches would be teaching players to put their face in the opponent's numbers, for example. The equipment is no longer just a protection, it is a tool.

walliver
February 14th, 2013, 06:16 AM
That's right. My main point in saying was that the equipment has become a part of the game to the point that its use becomes a part of the fundamentals. If there were no helmets, there's no way coaches would be teaching players to put their face in the opponent's numbers, for example. The equipment is no longer just a protection, it is a tool.

Jadaveon Clowney's famous hit this bowl game was widely publicized and honored by ESPN and others - all of whom fail to realized that a human being was wearing the helmet at the time it went flying down the field.

eaglewraith
February 14th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Jadaveon Clowney's famous hit this bowl game was widely publicized and honored by ESPN and others - all of whom fail to realized that a human being was wearing the helmet at the time it went flying down the field.

Properly fit helmet more than likely would not have popped off that easy. If my memory is correct, that was a textbook tackle by Clowney as well...and the Michigan RB got back up with nothing hurt but his pride.

Helmet fitting is a big issue these days. It's what has led to the rule about having to sit out because they're coming off so easy these days. William Banks, our backup to Swope is extremely guilty of this. His helmet popped off several times this year from minimal contact. During the ODU game I watched him easily slide it on with one hand as he was jogging to the sidelines. I may not be a genius, but I don't think a helmet is supposed to be put back on that easy.

SpeedkingATL
February 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
The suspension for helmet to helmet is a bad idea as many of them are not done on purpose. Guess they could just ban crossing routes as that's when most of them occur and as a former safety I always felt catching a WR running a crossing route in front of me was an opportunity to send a message....not so much helmet to helmet but just blow the WR up so he will have alligator arms the rest of the game.

GlassOnion
February 14th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Shoot, with the helmet rule, Jaque Roman would have missed half his career. Never got hurt either.

I do remember the GSU player on kick return that led with his helmet, and got carted off the field... that was downright scary.

Professor Chaos
February 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
It all depends on the interpretation of the rule but the wording I saw was that a player "targeting the head" of a defenseless receiver would be ejected. I think the rule is fine in theory but they better have a replay system or something of that nature to make damn sure they're getting it right and not ejecting someone simply for going at a ducking receiver hard.

Go Green
February 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Guess they could just ban crossing routes as that's when most of them occur

Lester Hayes--who has actually paralyzed a player- advocated precisely just that for years.

He wasn't able to get anywhere.

ngineer
February 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I agree there will be unintentional hits that occur. They already occur. But I think they want to emphasize tackling with the shoulders and arms and break the "leading with the head" mentality, which does need to be stopped.

andy7171
February 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM
My coach at Towson had us do pass pro without helmets to teach us to get our heads back. You learn pretty quick.

CID1990
February 15th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Lester Hayes--who has actually paralyzed a player- advocated precisely just that for years.

He wasn't able to get anywhere.

We should have the NCAA heavily fine UGA for inventing the forward pass.

Then get rid of it.

bluehenbillk
March 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM

• To establish three seconds as the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.
• To require a player that changes numbers during the game to report this to the referee, who will announce this.
• To only allow one player number to be worn by the same team and participate at the same position (e.g., two quarterbacks on the same team are not allowed to have the same number).
• To allow the use of electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew after successful experimentation by the Southeastern Conference. This is not a required piece of equipment but will allow officiating crews to use this tool.
• To allow the Big 12 Conference to experiment with using an eighth official on the field in conference games. This official would be placed in the backfield opposite the referee.
• To allow instant replay to adjust the clock at the end of each quarter. Previously this provision was only in place for the end of each half.

All of the above plus the automatic ejection plus 15 yards for hitting a defenseless receiver were approved by the NCAA today effective this fall.