PDA

View Full Version : WCU Releases 2013 Football Schedule

The Cats
February 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM
2013 Catamount Football Schedule (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020813aaa.html)

Thurs., Aug. 29 - at Middle Tennessee State (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)
Sat., Sept. 7 - at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, Va.)
Sat., Sept. 14 - THE CITADEL * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Sept. 21 - MARS HILL (Cullowhee)
Sat., Sept. 28 - at Samford * (Birmingham, Ala.)
Sat., Oct. 5 - at Chattanooga * (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
Sat., Oct. 12 - at Auburn (Auburn, Ala.)
Sat., Oct. 19 - WOFFORD * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Oct. 26 - ELON * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Nov. 2 - OPEN
Sat., Nov. 9 - at Georgia Southern * (Statesboro, Ga.)
Sat., Nov. 16 - FURMAN * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Nov. 23 - at Appalachian State * (Boone, N.C.)
Sat., Nov. 30 - NCAA FCS Playoffs 1st Round (TBA)

NDSU-Western Carolina Move Football Game to 2016 (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=206317262)

Smitty
February 8th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Pretty sure this is the earliest I have ever seen WCU release their schedule...

Apphole
February 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM

xawesomex

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Don't worry Apphole, come 2014 and beyong we can say the same thing for your program. You guys will NEVER win the Sunbelt Conference and qualify for their bowl tie-ins.

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
2013 Catamount Football Schedule (http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020813aaa.html)

Thurs., Aug. 29 - at Middle Tennessee State (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)
Sat., Sept. 7 - at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, Va.)
Sat., Sept. 14 - THE CITADEL * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Sept. 21 - MARS HILL (Cullowhee)
Sat., Sept. 28 - at Samford * (Birmingham, Ala.)
Sat., Oct. 5 - at Chattanooga * (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
Sat., Oct. 12 - at Auburn (Auburn, Ala.)
Sat., Oct. 19 - WOFFORD * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Oct. 26 - ELON * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Nov. 2 - OPEN
Sat., Nov. 9 - at Georgia Southern * (Statesboro, Ga.)
Sat., Nov. 16 - FURMAN * (Cullowhee)
Sat., Nov. 23 - at Appalachian State * (Boone, N.C.)

NDSU-Western Carolina Move Football Game to 2016 (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=206317262)

Nice schedule. Glad they moved that 1st game to a Thursday. GO CATS!!!

Apphole
February 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM
You guys will NEVER win the Sunbelt Conference and qualify for their bowl tie-ins.

What makes you say that?

Saint3333
February 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
That has to be the toughest FCS schedule I've ever seen.

Not only do you play three FBS opponents (two BCS programs), but you have to travel to App and GSU, two of the hardest places to win in the FCS.

I'm not sure if I were Speir I'd like this schedule. Why not schedule a couple more winnable OOC games and build from there?

Apphole
February 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM

Not only do you play three FBS opponents (two BCS programs), but you have to travel to App and GSU, two of the hardest places to win in the FCS.

I'm not sure if I were Speir I'd like this schedule. Why not schedule a couple more winnable OOC games and build from there?

I mean, if you're going to lose most every game, it might as well be against BCS competition.

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM

WCU needs the cash. Simple as that. Our entire athletic dept had to quit funding each sport 5% just to be able to pay Wagner's settlement when he was canned after the App game in 2011.

Catamount Club giving has improved but not where we need to be although CERTAINLY better than it was say 5 years ago.

The Cats
February 8th, 2013, 01:02 PM

To be honest, Wagner almost broke the athletic budget.

Actually, it was not all Wagner, I'll throw Briggs in there too. If you don't win games, the home football crowds get thinner and thinner. Hopefully, with these money games, and the increased home attendance we hope for with a couple or three wins, we will get the athletic budget back somewhat into the black.

If all goes as planned, this should be the last year the Cats need multiple FBS opponents.

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
To be honest, Wagner almost broke that athletic budget. Actually, it was not all Wagner, I'll throw Briggs in there too. You don't win games, home crowds get thinner and thinner. Hopefully, with these money games, and increased home attendance will get the budget back into the black. It all goes as planned, this should be the last year the Cats need multiple FBS opponents.

Coach Briggs took reassignment, got his money, and made a positive contribution working in the Phys Ed dept at WCU and is now teaching and coaching down the road at Smoky Mountain HS while Wagner was so reviled the U had to basically cut their nose to spite their face to get his *** out of Jackson County. I remember a lot of folks telling me that he and his wife were not popular in the Sylva area. I hope someday we CATS can get 2008-2011 blocked from our memories forever. GO CATS!

The Cats
February 8th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Coach Briggs took reassignment, got his money, and made a positive contribution working in the Phys Ed dept at WCU and is now teaching and coaching down the road at Smoky Mountain HS while Wagner was so reviled the U had to basically cut their nose to spite their face to get his *** out of Jackson County. I remember a lot of folks telling me that he and his wife were not popular in the Sylva area. I hope someday we CATS can get 2008-2011 blocked from our memories forever. GO CATS!

Congrats to Briggs. He still significantly contributed to WCU football's money problems. That includes his head coaches pay for working in the PE department for 2 years, not counting the decrease in game attendance directly attributed to his poor win/loss records.

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Pretty sure this is the earliest I have ever seen WCU release their schedule...

Nope. the main athletics website announced the 2006 schedule about a month after the end of the 2005 schedule. Remember it well and was shocked. 2003 schedule wasn't released until APRIL of that year.

GO CATS!

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Congrats to Briggs. He still significantly contributed to WCU football's money problems. Period.

I'm just glad Kent and I were able to mend some fences and that's all I will say about his tenure in Cullowhee. GO CATS!

The Cats
February 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I'm just glad Kent and I were able to mend some fences and that's all I will say about his tenure in Cullowhee. GO CATS!

Had you been more mindful of the things you said about Briggs at the time, there would not have been any fences that needed to be mended.

Appaholic
February 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Why not schedule a couple more winnable OOC games and build from there?

It's still illegal for college teams to play high school teams in our state due to liability reasons....even if the college team is Western....xreadx

The Cats
February 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It's still illegal for college teams to play high school teams in our state due to liability reasons....even if the college team is Western....xreadx

I knew you couldn't let a softball like that pass you by.

Appaholic
February 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I knew you couldn't let a softball like that pass you by.

Yes, I am predictable....;)

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Had you been more mindful of the things you said about Briggs at the time, there would not have been any fences that needed to be mended.

Yes.........I know. But I wasn't alone and as a coach he fully knew the expectations of a fan base. Again, all been smoothed over.

SpeedkingATL
February 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM
All I can say is Whee better beat Mars Hill and after gettting knocked around by MTSU and VaTech for 2 straight weeks that will likely even be a challenge. Good luck; at least the bank account will be a little fatter and hopefully Spier won't be judged too harshly against that schedule. I still say Whee wins one Division 1 game this year.......now who will it be??

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM

The ghost from Christmas past. WOW! Hope all has been well big guy!

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Yes.........I know. But I wasn't alone and as a coach he fully knew the expectations of a fan base. Again, all been smoothed over.

I say we beat both Citadel and Elon.

Professor Chaos
February 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM

And it could've been even tougher. They were scheduled to come to NDSU on 9/21 but rescheduled it for 9/1/2016 to schedule Mars Hill and get at least 1 OOC home game.

CID1990
February 8th, 2013, 02:12 PM

I thought pot was illegal in western NC.

Next season there will be only two SoCon teams that will probably beat El Cid, and WCU ain't one of them.

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
And it could've been even tougher. They were scheduled to come to NDSU on 9/21 but rescheduled it for 9/1/2016 to schedule Mars Hill and get at least 1 OOC home game.

Yep and looking at the 2016 calendar, that will be a Thursday. Hopefully we will have improved enough by then that it will be a good match. One of ND's favorite sons is a former WCU gridiron great and still leads WCU as the all-time sack leader, Velva's own Tom Bodine. GO CATS!xthumbsupx

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I thought pot was illegal in western NC.

Next season there will be only two SoCon teams that will probably beat El Cid, and WCU ain't one of them.

I'll save this. LOL! Funny I heard the same thing back in '09 and we all know what happened on October 17 of that year....

CID1990
February 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Lol?

The only lol here is that if El Cid wins just one game next year it will be against WCU. So you just go on ahead and do that marking down thing.

citdog
February 8th, 2013, 03:00 PM

unless those are alternate spellings for Mars Hill you're wrong.

catamount man
February 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
unless those are alternate spellings for Mars Hill you're wrong.

No, but I do fully trust you will be there so we can slam a brew or two together? You are always welcomed around me and you know that. CSA!

citdog
February 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
No, but I do fully trust you will be there so we can slam a brew or two together? You are always welcomed around me and you know that. CSA!

see you in the 'whee

catamount man
February 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM
see you in the 'whee

If I ain't sick or dead, hell yes. GO CATS!