PDA

View Full Version : In the Path: Hurricane/I-AA Week One

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Ernesto is churning in the Gulf , which you can follow the discussion here:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12792

However, I-AA games that could be impacted should be discussed as we saw lots of things shuffled around last year, on top of people's lives, as it relates to collegiate athletics.

Ernesto is more than likely, atleast at this point going to hit land in the United States, anywhere from Texas to Alabama at this point in time. Things can change and we may not have to worry about it hitting the United States at all, but precautionary discussions are already occuring on the Gulf Coast as people prepare for the 'what if' of it all.

Here's some games to keep an eye on, that could be impacted based on the location of the game and/or the location of a team involved. Granted, some of these teams are further inland and are probably not as likely to be impacted, but you just never know, as many of these inland places (i.e NWST) could become shelters and hubs for helping out devastated areas of the state...

Thu 8/31/2006 So Arkansas at Nicholls State 7:00 PM
Thu 8/31/2006 Alcorn State at UL-Monroe 8:00 PM
Thu 8/31/2006 Miles at Samford 8:00 PM
Thu 8/31/2006 SE Louisiana at New Mexico St 9:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Hampton at Grambling (Birmingham, AL) 12:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Miss Valley St at Ark-Pine Bluff 5:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 McNeese State at So Florida 7:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Paul Quinn at Jackson State 7:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Alabama State at Troy 7:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Northwestern St at Kansas 7:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Tarleton St at Texas State 7:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 The Citadel at Texas A&M 7:00 PM
Sat 9/2/2006 Texas Southern at Prairie View 8:00 PM

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I think that even if the storm moves into the Gulf, the Thursday night games should be OK, Saturday could be a completely different story, however.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I think that even if the storm moves into the Gulf, the Thursday night games should be OK, Saturday could be a completely different story, however.

Not sure about Thursday night games if they are expecting a Friday landfall. Would not give enough time to the fans, students and others affiliated to get to safety...

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Would:

those game really be affected that much? The storm shouldn't reach NM, FL, AR, or KS, and the players would be safe. :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Would:

those game really be affected that much? The storm shouldn't reach NM, FL, AR, or KS, and the players would be safe. :thumbsup:

Is McNeese going to be able to get to USF? Is Southeastern Lousiana going to want to leave for New Mexico if a storm is about to bear down on them and they have to batten down the hatches in Hammond?

Freightliner
August 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
By the look of this map....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/204939.shtml?5day?large
Anybody from LA to FLA better brace for this one...

course a change to a NNW course and TX will be in the crosshairs.

McTailGator
August 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Is McNeese going to be able to get to USF? Is Southeastern Lousiana going to want to leave for New Mexico if a storm is about to bear down on them and they have to batten down the hatches in Hammond?

Man we can not afford to lose the guarantee that USF was offering us, even if it was just $250,000.

These models don't look good for the Florida West Coast where we will be.

If we have to run from this one, it will be the 4th game in two years cancelled due to a Hurricane and the 6th game effected over the same period of time.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at200605_model.gif

McNeese75
August 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Would:

McNeese is scheduled to fly out Friday morning but Tampa is in the target zone as well. I have a bad feeling about this game happening (and I am scheduled to fly out on Thursday) :bang:

kats89
August 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, part of living on the Gulf Coast

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 06:20 PM
On a related-note, where's Southern University's soccer team playing this coming week? xlolx

Oddly enough, like last year, they're playing in Lake Charles this Friday after a home game against LSU-Shreveport on Wednesday. Southern will more than likely play McNeese in soccer just like last year, when the Southern football team cancelled a trip that same weekend. xidiotx

Wed 8/30/2006 Southern LSU Shreveport 4:00 PM Baton Rouge, LA

Fri 9/1/2006 Southern McNeese St 3:00 PM Baton Rouge, LA

McTailGator
August 26th, 2006, 06:30 PM
On a related-note, where's Southern University's soccer team playing this coming week? xlolx

Oddly enough, like last year, they're playing in Lake Charles this Friday after a home game against LSU-Shreveport on Wednesday. Southern will more than likely play McNeese in soccer just like last year, when the Southern football team cancelled a trip that same weekend. xidiotx

Give their Soccer Coach Credit, He or She doesn't Duck and Hide.

But I'm amazed they honored their commitment to play any sport vs us or anyone for that matter.

GeauxLions94
August 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM

We're going to Las Cruces. Getting back might be dicey since we're probably flying out of NOLA.

GAD
August 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Give their Soccer Coach Credit, He or She doesn't Duck and Hide.

But I'm amazed they honored their commitment to play any sport vs us or anyone for that matter.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12060&page=7
Haven't you been proven to be a big ass liar already?

HONOR huh

GeauxColonels
August 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Well, it looks as though the track has been pushed farther to the east, putting New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana on the traditionally weaker side of the storm. Hopefully it will just fizzle out.

Keeper
August 26th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I agree , from what I understand of late August storms,
they track more across Florida from SW to NE.
Also, Cuba is likely to rub it out a little bit.
Either way, the Saturday games should be okay
barring any significant damage or power outage,
as the storm should already have passed through by then.
The Thursday nighters might be more affected by the
timing of the landfall. Samford may face the highest
possibility of delay, moving their game to Saturday.

August 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Haven't you been proven to be a big ass liar already?I think you missed the other azzez on that thread.

McNeese75
August 26th, 2006, 10:45 PM

: smh : :deadhorse:

No sense in even bringing up that mess again : flamemad

Keeper
August 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Some other games Saturday for possible concern:
Southern U vs Bethune-Cookman at Jacksonville
Gardner-Webb at Jacksonville U
any games in Georgia or SoCarolina

golionsgo
August 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM
We're going to Las Cruces. Getting back might be dicey since we're probably flying out of NOLA.

I assume the team will leave on Wednesday and if that's the case, there shouldn't be a problem getting out of New Orleans. But as you said, getting back will be the sticky part. I wonder what happens if there is another direct hit on the area and they're still in Las Cruces?

McNeese75
August 26th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I assume the team will leave on Wednesday and if that's the case, there shouldn't be a problem getting out of New Orleans. But as you said, getting back will be the sticky part. I wonder what happens if there is another direct hit on the area and they're still in Las Cruces?

They fly back to Houston and Bus to Lake Charles for a few weeks :)

golionsgo
August 27th, 2006, 12:04 AM
They fly back to Houston and Bus to Lake Charles for a few weeks :)

Now wouldn't that be ironic!!

McNeese75
August 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM

Somewhat, but actually mentioned as an opportunity to repay a very fine favor from last year :nod:

Keeper
August 27th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Shame on anybody who complains about SEATTLEweatherxcoffeex , especially seattleites.

My wife was just now saying how fortunate we don't live near the Gulf.
Guess that Paradise is what you make of it and learn to appreciate.
I sincerely hope that y'all are getting more assistance that what we
are seeing on the news. Or are they reporting the recovery about right?
I for one am very interested to see what becomes of the NO Saints.
It won't feel like NFL without New Orleans. How is the buzz there?
But I fear that Tulane will have a very difficult road ahead, and were
already struggling for direction pre-Katrina. How is Lake Charles doing
rebound wise and McNeese depth-wise?

McNeese75
August 27th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Shame on anybody who complains about SEATTLEweatherxcoffeex , especially seattleites.

My wife was just now saying how fortunate we don't live near the Gulf.
Guess that Paradise is what you make of it and learn to appreciate.
I sincerely hope that y'all are getting more assistance that what we
are seeing on the news. Or are they reporting the recovery about right?
I for one am very interested to see what becomes of the NO Saints.
It won't feel like NFL without New Orleans. How is the buzz there?
But I fear that Tulane will have a very difficult road ahead, and were
already struggling for direction pre-Katrina. How is Lake Charles doing
rebound wise and McNeese depth-wise?

The Katrina recovery is being pretty well documented in the blame game going on between the City, Local and Federal officials. I was in NO a few weeks ago and certain parts are going very slow. No matter what Ray Nagin says, I do not ever see NO returning to how it was before the storm (and I hope it never does).

Lake Charles is coming along fine. There are still plenty of blue tarps on roofs around town and things south of the intercoastal waterway are going much slower. Cameron Parish population was less than 7,000 before Rita and recovery is going very slowly but people in this part of the state have been pretty good about getting things done instead of sitting and waiting.

The McNeese (football) outlook is optomistic. 53 returning lettermen and 18 returning starters well hopefully produce a nice 2006 season.

Keeper
August 27th, 2006, 03:19 AM
There are many folk here in Washington State
pulling for you in Louisiana. On this anniversary
of Katrina, we are mindful of approaching storms.
Praying that nothing like Katrina or Rita comes
to your neighborhood anytime soon.

McTailGator
August 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Haven't you been proven to be a big ass liar already?

HONOR huh

So your soccer players are from somewhere else? Give a freaking break...

Southern could have scheduled us this year (2 games remained open with McNeese open dates prior to finalizing your schedule). BUT SU DUCKED.

HONOR

McTailGator
August 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM

The folks in SE NM are pretty nice people. I've spent a lot of time there. I have no doubt they would help your team out and house and feed them for a few days. If needed.

McTailGator
August 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM

LOL.. Our problem is we don't have extra dorm rooms like you guys' had.

McTailGator
August 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
It's looking more and more like McNeese's game in Tampa vs South Florida will be effected in some way.

GeauxColonels
August 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM
It's looking more and more like McNeese's game in Tampa vs South Florida will be effected in some way.

Good news for everyone else, but not too good for you guys. I'll keep praying that the weather service keeps moving the track farther to the east, maybe it won't effect you guys at all!

GAD
August 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
So your soccer players are from somewhere else? Give a freaking break...

Southern could have scheduled us this year (2 games remained open with McNeese open dates prior to finalizing your schedule). BUT SU DUCKED.

HONOR
Check the 2006 roster I can't find one from 2005

http://gojagsports.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/sout-w-soccer-mtt.html
but I believe there were two young ladies from New Orleans

McNeeserocket
August 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM
[/QUOTE] My wife was just now saying how fortunate we don't live near the Gulf. Guess that Paradise is what you make of it and learn to appreciate. I sincerely hope that y'all are getting more assistance that what we are seeing on the news. How is Lake Charles doing rebound wise and McNeese depth-wise?[/QUOTE]

Football wise, McNeese is recovering quite well. University wise, it is another story. The latest report was that McNeese sustained 30,000,000 in damage (30 million). We still have 3 complete buildings closed and awaiting major repairs, like the Engineering building which was completed gutted after remediation of mold and water damage (entire roof came off during hurricane). In addition, much of the Fine Arts building is still closed. Half of the Biology building is closed. Part of the Library is closed and we lost all of our govt. documents section. Every building had some damage with the exception of one. We are utilizing 12-16 large FEMA trailers for needed classroom space.

Our pressbox is still unrepaired. We just got the stadium lights repaired and remounted. The building I worked in (the Engineering Building) earliest projected date to reopen is Fall 2008, but most believe it may be Fall 2010.

So yes McNeese is progressing, but I don't believe the campus will be completely fixed and recovered for at least 5 more years (mostly because the state has so much damage to so many state facilities). My present office is a lobby area of a previous department head. I share it with an administrative person and we both have long tables as our desks (as our furniture was either ruined or is being repaired). We share phone lines and internet lines, and we have no fax machine. Wiring hangs from the ceiling almost down to my table and the walls in this area have flaking plaster areas (due to the winds forcing water through brick walls and from the roof area). Prior to the hurricane, I had a nice office in the Engineering building with all the equipment I needed, including a computer, scanner, printer, color printer, and fax machine. Now I have computer and a shared printer in an open room that I share with another person. We have a leased copy machine that I wish I could destroy most of the time. I am not complaining, as I am grateful for my job and grateful that there is office space for us, but I find it challenging to concentrate at times on important grant writing (which is part of my job). My story is typical of many staff and faculty here at McNeese. I think our administration, faculty and staff have adjusted well and with a sense of we will do what has to be done to keep our university running. Even the students seem to feel that they are stakeholders in the recovery process and have adjusted to the inconvenience of the campus wide damage.

So there is some normalcy in our abnormal circumstances. I suppose we all will appreciate the simple amenities when life returns to Pre-2005 hurricane season.

griz&beer
August 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I sure hope this does not mess up anyone's lives. Stay safe down there,guys.If you need a place to stay the Griz nation will take you in with open arms.