PDA

View Full Version : Maysonet Heads Up 2012 College Sports Journal All-America Team

Mr. C
January 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM
PHILADELPHIA, PA. — Stony Brook running back Miguel Maysonet heads up the 2012 College Sports Journal Football Championship Subdivision All-America Team.

Maysonet, who finished as the runner up for the Walter Payton Award, was chosen as the offensive player of the year on the 63-player CSJ All-America squad.

Maysonet finished third nationally in rushing with an average of 151 yards per game and ended up with 1,964 yards and 21 touchdowns on the ground.

2012 College Sports Journal All-America Team

Offensive Player of the Year: Miguel Maysonet, Senior, Running Back, Stony Brook,
Defensive Player of the Year: Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana, Senior
Coach of the Year: Walt Hameline, Wagner
Lineman of the Year: Earl Watford, Senior, Tackle, James Madison
Special Teams Player of the Year: Patrick Murray, Senior, Kicker-Punter, Fordham
FCS Playoff Most Valuable Player: Marcus Williams, Junior, Cornerback, North Dakota State
Co-Freshmen of the Year: Sean Price, Redshirt Freshman, Wide Receiver, Appalachian State; John Robertson, Redshirt Freshman, Quarterback, Villanova

To read more:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/691-maysonet-heads-up-2012-college-sports-journal-all-america-team

Professor Chaos
January 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I'd argue that Grant Olson was more valuable during NDSU's playoff run than Marcus Williams was but that's nit picking. Both were integral parts of NDSU's run to the title but due to the types of teams they faced Olson played a more prominant role than Williams did.

GeauxLions94
January 25th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Defensive Player of the Year: Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana, Senior

To read more:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/691-maysonet-heads-up-2012-college-sports-journal-all-america-team

Yeah Buddy! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

He's had a great week at the Senior Bowl and hopefully will have good performances at Pro Day and NFL Combine.

#LionNation

frozennorth
January 25th, 2013, 03:57 AM
3 defensive players from montana state

1 from NDSU

*scratches head*

THE HERD
January 25th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I cannot believe that at least on of our D-lineman didn't even make honorable mention! NDSU easily has one of, if not the best D-line in all of FCS, but nobody makes this team let alone honorable mention?! We had THE BEST D in all of FCS the last two years and we put one guy on this team and one honorable mention.......joke! Mont. St has 3 and we have 1.........really??

citdog
January 25th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I cannot believe that at least on of our D-lineman didn't even make honorable mention! NDSU easily has one of, if not the best D-line in all of FCS, but nobody makes this team let alone honorable mention?! We had THE BEST D in all of FCS the last two years and we put one guy on this team and one honorable mention.......joke! Mont. St has 3 and we have 1.........really??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORG2tCXVRM

smallcollegefbfan
January 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Problem is that you guys had just 2 players on the 1st team All-MVFC list. NDSU doesn't have but 2 star players to be honest. The unit as a whole is just really good. The worst player on your defense is much better than the 5 worst players on other defenses easily but other teams may have 3 or 4 stars and a bunch of nobodies on theirs. You guys have 2 stars and everyone else is above average or very solid across the board, even your backups. So, your unit as a whole is much stronger than the others.

DL -- Ken Boatright, Southern Illinois 6-4 253 Sr. Bolingbrook (Ill.) High
Shelby Harris, Illinois State 6-2 255 Jr. Milwaukee (Wis.) Homestead High / Wisconsin
Ben Obaseki, Indiana State 6-3 270 Sr. Washington (Ind.) High
Colton Underwood, Illinois State 6-4 255 Jr. Washington (Ill.) High
LB -- Aaron Archie, Indiana State 6-0 235 Sr. Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech
Grant Olson, North Dakota State 6-0 223 Jr. Plymouth (Minn.) Wayzata High
Ross Shafrath, South Dakota State 6-1 225 Sr. Hampton (Iowa) Hampton-Dumont High
Mike Zimmer, Illinois State 6-3 230 Sr. Wheeling (Ill.) High
DB -- Ben Ericksen, Illinois State 6-1 195 Sr. Greendale (Wis.) High
Caleb Schaffitzel, Missouri State 6-0 214 So. Fair Grove (Mo.) High
Johnny Towalid, Indiana State 5-11 170 Sr. Indianapolis (Ind.) Southport High
Marcus Williams, North Dakota State 5-11 194 Jr. Minneapolis (Minn.) Hopkins High
P -- Lucas Hileman, Indiana State 6-1 195 Sr. Anna (Ill.) Anna-Jonesboro High / Baylor
RS -- Carlos Anderson, UNI 5-8 172 Sr. Blue Springs (Mo.) High

totoinfl
January 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I understand your head scratching...to me it is a testament to the way the Bison find players, coach them to play as a unit and create a great defense. It is kind of off-putting when your team doesn't get the individual recognition...but I would be some of those guys named all whatever would be more than happy to trade their individual award for a National Championship ring.

3 defensive players from montana state

1 from NDSU

*scratches head*

blueballs
January 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I really like the fact that CSJ waited until AFTER the playoffs- aka the biggest and most important games of the year- to make their selections.

This is the best and most comprehensive list I've seen yet. Good job guys!

THE HERD
January 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Problem is that you guys had just 2 players on the 1st team All-MVFC list. NDSU doesn't have but 2 star players to be honest. The unit as a whole is just really good. The worst player on your defense is much better than the 5 worst players on other defenses easily but other teams may have 3 or 4 stars and a bunch of nobodies on theirs. You guys have 2 stars and everyone else is above average or very solid across the board, even your backups. So, your unit as a whole is much stronger than the others.

DL -- Ken Boatright, Southern Illinois 6-4 253 Sr. Bolingbrook (Ill.) High
Shelby Harris, Illinois State 6-2 255 Jr. Milwaukee (Wis.) Homestead High / Wisconsin
Ben Obaseki, Indiana State 6-3 270 Sr. Washington (Ind.) High
Colton Underwood, Illinois State 6-4 255 Jr. Washington (Ill.) High
LB -- Aaron Archie, Indiana State 6-0 235 Sr. Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech
Grant Olson, North Dakota State 6-0 223 Jr. Plymouth (Minn.) Wayzata High
Ross Shafrath, South Dakota State 6-1 225 Sr. Hampton (Iowa) Hampton-Dumont High
Mike Zimmer, Illinois State 6-3 230 Sr. Wheeling (Ill.) High
DB -- Ben Ericksen, Illinois State 6-1 195 Sr. Greendale (Wis.) High
Caleb Schaffitzel, Missouri State 6-0 214 So. Fair Grove (Mo.) High
Johnny Towalid, Indiana State 5-11 170 Sr. Indianapolis (Ind.) Southport High
Marcus Williams, North Dakota State 5-11 194 Jr. Minneapolis (Minn.) Hopkins High
P -- Lucas Hileman, Indiana State 6-1 195 Sr. Anna (Ill.) Anna-Jonesboro High / Baylor
RS -- Carlos Anderson, UNI 5-8 172 Sr. Blue Springs (Mo.) High

I said D-lineman....read my post again. Our D-lineman are really good and deserve some recognition....they are what makes the whole Bison D go.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I realize there is no end to the argument, but my biggest beef is calling Swope and Britenstein "fullbacks." I do like the list, though.

Neither of those two is a fullback. Both would be premier featured backs on virtually any other offensive system. Swope had over 200 carries for 1,200 yards. Britenstein had almost 300 carries. Both of those guys had more carries than Furman's Jerodis Williams, a 1,000 yard pure tailback in a run-first system.

I realize they are technically styled "fullback," but I think that somewhat negates their accomplishments. If you want to give credit to a pure fullback, there are some good ones to choose from. If not, I just say call all of them runningbacks, because their carries and yardage do not distinguish them otherwise.