PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls St Hopes to Live up to Expectations

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
The Colonels are an exciting team and they have been through so much. Despite having football, they have the smallest budget in the SLC, which is a great challenge as is. Looking forward to seeing what the Nicholls St Colonels do this year and after a strong showing last year, I think much of the nation is interest in seeing what they are up to in Thibodaux...

Colonels hope to live up to expectations
By Jeff Matthews
[email protected]

Between several hurricanes and an academic scandal that claimed its head coach and a large chunk of its team, Nicholls State has seen its share of twists and turns in recent seasons.

Now, though, the Colonels have something entirely new to deal with -- expectations.

Expectations surrounding the Nicholls football program are usually low, when they exist at all. But after winning its first Southland Conference title and acquitting itself well in the Division I-AA playoffs, there's a new perception of a program long considered an also-ran.
"Everyone's real excited in our community," said head coach Jay Thomas. "People in Thibodaux can't wait for the season to get here."

"We've definitely got that feeling, that spark going," said senior middle linebacker Cory Vavala. "We have momentum from winning the championship. We want to keep that going."

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/SPORTS/608240330/1006

igo4uni
August 24th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Well, I guess we will have to just wait and see. :cool: :cool:

GeauxColonels
August 24th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Wow, Great article! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx
I'm happy to see the Colonels getting some coverage in other parts of the state.

mikebigg
August 25th, 2006, 02:27 AM
It still amazes me how effectively Nichols can line up and run the ball so consistently. Although most colleges have gone to the spread formation and wide open passing, the Colonels buck the trend and win by using all those hard running backs.

Good luck to the Boys from the Bayou... The SLC should be very competitive (AGAIN)

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Wow, Great article! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx
I'm happy to see the Colonels getting some coverage in other parts of the state.

Much deserved coverage! :thumbsup:

GeauxColonels
August 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Much deserved coverage! :thumbsup:
Hey, send the article over the the Times-Picayune sports department for me. Show them how much better these other papers are at covering ALL the teams in the state. :bang:

PaladinFan
August 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I was extremely impressed with Nicholls last year in the playoffs. When both teams ran out of the tunnell I honestly thought Furman was going to win by 30. They gave up a lot of size to the Paladins.

They were a tenacious team with a good defense. Good luck this season.

BayouColonel
August 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hey Geaux,

I love the graphic with Tillou. Don't let the University ban that too.
BTW the Times Picayune is what I use to line the bottom of my kids pet hamster cage.

GeauxColonels
August 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Hey Geaux,

I love the graphic with Tillou. Don't let the University ban that too.
BTW the Times Picayune is what I use to line the bottom of my kids pet hamster cage.
Well, I grew up just outside of New Orleans so all I got was the Times-Picayune and the local parish paper that only came out 2 times a week. As for the Tillou graphic....they haven't used that in years. Go look at the stadium, they painted over the picture of a Colonel running with a football and replaced it with an image of a football....sux! :bang: :bang: :mad: :mad: