PDA

View Full Version : Does Michael Rocco to UR make the spiders a 2013 title contender?

knucklehead
January 7th, 2013, 03:08 PM
LYNCHBURG - One-time Virginia quarterback Michael Rocco has decided to transfer to Richmond where he'll play for his uncle and head coach Danny Rocco.

Michael returned to his parent's home in Lynchburg on Sunday after taking an official visit to Richmond over the weekend.

Michael will be able to play immediately since he's transferring to a Football Championship Subdivision school and he'll have one year of eligibility remaining. He plans to be enrolled and in classes this coming Monday.

http://www.wset.com/story/20523534/uvas-michael-rocco-will-transfer-to-richmond

Franks Tanks
January 7th, 2013, 03:11 PM
He's not THAT good.

Richmond should be quite good next year, but Rocco is nothing more than a competent QB in my opinion.

bostonspider
January 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Not sure he will actually be eligible to play next year as he only has one year left, and per the NCAA rules must therefore establish one year of residency. UR will petition the NCAA for a waiver, but we will see. Also not sure he is any better than Strauss anyways, but we will see.

knucklehead
January 7th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I will tell you that in Danny's system I feel Mike will be very good. Read the article, sounds like his dad told the reporter he will play right away. I personally think he will get the start and make UR a contender next year to make a big playoff run. IMHO. However, Liberty will beat them in Richmond.

kdinva
January 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Not sure he will actually be eligible to play next year as he only has one year left, and per the NCAA rules must therefore establish one year of residency. UR will petition the NCAA for a waiver.....

....and they'll petition for said waiver up until August practice.........

ur2k
January 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM
We should be pretty good next year whether Strauss or Rocco is behind center. We return a ton and the team will be playing with a pretty large chip on their shoulders with the perceived slight from the selection committee

asumike83
January 8th, 2013, 10:11 AM
No.

I don't know enough about what else they have returning and they could be a title contender but not because they picked up Rocco. He is a solid QB but in my opinion, not good enough to make a contender out of a team that wasn't already there.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM
One transfer rarely, if ever, makes the difference on a football team as it relates to a championship contender; unless, of course, they're a contender already.

heath
January 8th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Nope,not even if he wins appeal.He should have never been UVAs QB. Nice guy buy just an average at best QB.Sad thing is,he maybe could have started again next year for the Cavaliers and got his UVA degree. Why not since his playing days will be over after college. Rocco and London must have had a huge falling outxnodx

heath
January 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM
....and they'll petition for said waiver up until August practice.........

UR will use the Phillip Sims transfer as a good reason to allow Rocco to play.Sims also had to petition the NCAA.

superman7515
April 11th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Richmond Football ‏@Spider_Football 46m NCAA denies Richmond's one-time exception appeal for @Spider_Football QB Michael Rocco - http://ow.ly/jYhMO

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM
We'll be just fine with Stauss at Quarterback. He won a bunch of games for us last year.

This does make for a very awkward situation in 2014.

knucklehead
April 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Bad news for a GREAT kid. Just a tough situation. Now what? Who knows.

bjtheflamesfan
April 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
We'll be just fine with Stauss at Quarterback. He won a bunch of games for us last year.

This does make for a very awkward situation in 2014.

How so?

Libertine
April 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM
How so?

Strauss was the QB that Rocco beat out at Virginia which precipitated Strauss's transfer to UR. Assuming Mike Rocco sticks around for his 5th year after he graduates in May he will again be competing for the job with Strauss who, at that point, will also be a senior but will have history, experience in the offense and leadership of the team on his side.

bjtheflamesfan
April 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM
in a word...oy

Go Green
April 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
One transfer rarely, if ever, makes the difference on a football team as it relates to a championship contender; unless, of course, they're a contender already.

Yep. That's pretty much why nobody expects Columbia to win the Ivy next year even though they'll have Stanford's backup QB taking the snaps.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 11th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Strauss was the QB that Rocco beat out at Virginia which precipitated Strauss's transfer to UR. Assuming Mike Rocco sticks around for his 5th year after he graduates in May he will again be competing for the job with Strauss who, at that point, will also be a senior but will have history, experience in the offense and leadership of the team on his side.

Yes. That about covers it.

Based on our returnees, I expect the Spiders will be a CAA Title Contender again this year and a contender for a deep playoff run.

Suppose that happens. How would you like to be the starting, rising Senior Quarterback with a lot of wins under your belt competing with the head coach's nephew?

"Oy" is right.

knucklehead
April 12th, 2013, 10:00 AM
The funny part is, if Strauss is really effective this year and makes a big playoff run, I can't see even Uncle Danny putting Mike in over him in 14. Maybe I'm wrong.