PDA

View Full Version : Injury, Grades Sideline Two Paladin Backups

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Knee Injury Sidelines Menocal For 2006 Season
Fullback Tharry Salley Ruled Academically Ineligible

Aug. 22, 2006

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman head coach Bobby Lamb announced Tuesday that center David Menocal will be sidelined for the 2006 season due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained last week in practice.

Menocal, a 6-foot-2, 273-pound sophomore from Gainesville, Ga., had been working as the Paladins' No. 2 center behind projected starter Reggie Goolsby prior to the injury, which was confirmed late Monday through MRI test results. He he will undergo surgery at a later date to be determined according to Furman head athletic trainer Phil Hedrick.

Last year Menocal saw action in all 14 games and totaled 147 snaps, including an emergency start in the Paladins' 45-23 win over Samford. True freshman Dustin Chancellor will now serve as the Paladins' backup center.

Lamb also said Tuesday that redshirt freshman fullback Tharry Salley has been ruled academically ineligible to play this fall but has decided to stay at Furman. The 6-foot-2, 227-pouond Blackville, S.C., native will continue practicing with the team according to Lamb.

youwouldno
August 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Both are significant losses but neither were projected starters. Hopefully Salley gets his grades in order so he can take over when Felton graduates.

The center situation is a bit worrisome, no doubt, but there's still a ton of O-line talent and depth.

OL FU
August 24th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Both are significant losses but neither were projected starters. Hopefully Salley gets his grades in order so he can take over when Felton graduates.

The center situation is a bit worrisome, no doubt, but there's still a ton of O-line talent and depth.

Yes I hate to lose either, but at the risk of being redundant, I will worry about our O-Line they show me against JSU:nod:

blueballs
August 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yes I hate to lose either, but at the risk of being redundant, I will worry about our O-Line they show me against JSU:nod:

Didn't y'all graduate your center and both guards from last year?

Salley was the subject of quite a recruiting war between GSU and FU. With GSU's problems with the APR this offseason I'm kinda glad he's your problem though I'd never wish ill on a kid like that.

Best wishes for the center's recovery- I had an ACL reconstruction and came back as good as ever from it.

OL FU
August 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Didn't y'all graduate your center and both guards from last year?

Salley was the subject of quite a recruiting war between GSU and FU. With GSU's problems with the APR this offseason I'm kinda glad he's your problem though I'd never wish ill on a kid like that.

Best wishes for the center's recovery- I had an ACL reconstruction and came back as good as ever from it.

Yes, center and two guards may have been the best combo at FU ever.
I believe they all started for three years but would have to research to certain.

I am happy Salley is staying at Furman, hopefully that means his grades are only marginally unacceptable.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Salley is staying at Furman from all I've heard. I think it's a great insight into the young man's work ethic. There are plenty of academically less rigorous schools to take off to and play football. The fans appreciate his commitment to Furman.

Salley was looking to be a heck of a special teams player. He was listed as 3rd string fullback, but a heck of an athlete. Our depth at linebacker will help overcome that special teams space.

Menocal will be more missed, IMO. He's a good player at a difficult position. It does leave room for depth questions at center, but as has been mentioned that Furman has had a strong O-line for years. This is due, in large part, to our coach, considered among many to be one of the best in college football.

Injuries happen but Furman is hardly throwing in the towel after the loss of a second and third stringer.