PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Announcers/Commentators for NC Game?

DBK
December 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
any idea who is doing the telecast from the NC Game in Frisco? Some of the ESPN folks have been terrible during the playoffs. Hoping they send a decent pair to the game.

MR. CHICKEN
December 30th, 2012, 10:35 PM
FUDD/TAZ.....WHIFF...MISS PRISSY....SIDELINE MONITOR.......xdontknowx.......BRAWK!

lionsrking2
December 30th, 2012, 10:35 PM
any idea who is doing the telecast from the NC Game in Frisco? Some of the ESPN folks have been terrible during the playoffs. Hoping they send a decent pair to the game.

My guess is Dave Neal and Andre Ware.

BisonFan02
December 30th, 2012, 10:43 PM

Same crew as the NDSU/GSU game is what I heard.

MR. CHICKEN
December 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM
WHAA 'BOUT DUH REFS.....MEAC?????

YEAH...UNLEASH DEM...BAD BOYS...xeekx...AWK!

JSUBison
December 30th, 2012, 10:53 PM

Correct.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/11/ncaa-fcs-championship-kicks-off-saturday-across-espn-platforms/

DFW HOYA
December 30th, 2012, 10:56 PM
How soon before the Worldwide Leader simply bumps this game to ESPN3?

cbarrier90
December 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM
How soon before the Worldwide Leader simply bumps this game to ESPN3?

Anybody have the rating trends for this game for the past 5 or so years? That will give you your answer.

DFW HOYA
December 30th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Anybody have the rating trends for this game for the past 5 or so years? That will give you your answer.

"The ESPN broadcasts of the FCS Championship Game have averaged more than a 1.0 Nielsen rating in six of the past seven years as well. "

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-22/fcs-championship-record-pace

ASU_Fanatic
December 30th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Hope y'all get Dorris Burke

cbarrier90
December 31st, 2012, 12:17 AM
Hope y'all get Dorris Burke

Wouldn't wish that on anyone...

superman7515
December 31st, 2012, 12:36 AM
I hear Tony Romo is available and has some experience at the FCS level.

344Johnson
December 31st, 2012, 01:25 AM
Best thing that can happen to start getting the ratings up and more respect would be...

NDSU Vs. Appy State.

Montana Vs. NDSU

Montana Vs. Appy State

Get two (relatively) recognizable names. Especially Appalachian(that Michigan win went a LONG way). If ESPN would just market the damn thing a bit, they could do some nice things with it. You can't market the Beef O'Brady Bowl(which i semi-watched), you can always market a national championship game if you need to.

cbarrier90
December 31st, 2012, 03:43 AM
If ESPN would just market the damn thing a bit, they could do some nice things with it.

You gotta give them a reason to market it. No sense in wasting revenue for a fruitless endeavor.

You can't market the Beef O'Brady Bowl(which i semi-watched), you can always market a national championship game if you need to.

The bowl games, from the most "insignificant" to the BCS are marketed as a package during the months leading up to bowl season. The whole idea is that during the holidays when everyone is home, you can have wall-to-wall college football from noon when the first games on the East start to 1 am when the last games on the West end. That's what draws viewers, regardless of how minor the bowl is or who is playing. Doesn't hurt that the majority of bowls this year have been great games.

walliver
December 31st, 2012, 06:46 AM
Best thing that can happen to start getting the ratings up and more respect would be...

NDSU Vs. Appy State.

Montana Vs. NDSU

Montana Vs. Appy State

Get two (relatively) recognizable names. Especially Appalachian(that Michigan win went a LONG way). If ESPN would just market the damn thing a bit, they could do some nice things with it. You can't market the Beef O'Brady Bowl(which i semi-watched), you can always market a national championship game if you need to.

Is Montana a recognizable name outside of FCS circles?
Is NDSU a recognizable name outside of FCS circles?
Is App State a recognizable name outside of FCS circles? According to many ASU fans, this lack of national representation is one reason way they need to go FBS.

The presence of the three teams you mentioned will fill the stands with well-travelled fan bases, but won't bring in a national TV audience.
THE FCS NC game is what it is, a game that means a lot to a subsegment of the football population.
For better or worse, the people at ESPN know what makes money for them. A big ad campaign won't change things much.

kdinva
December 31st, 2012, 09:23 AM

good, no Jay Walker..... xprayx

....and I enjoy 1-AA games that Scott Graham does (mostly CAA games).

katstrapper
December 31st, 2012, 09:23 AM

Dont look for Andre Ware to be there. He is the color analyst for the Houston Texans Radio Team and the Texans play at 3pm on Saturday after their meltdown in Indy..xlolx

I thought the announcers for the SHSU/Montana St game did a good job. Dave Neal and David Diaz-Infante did an awesome job in last years NC game.

katstrapper
December 31st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cara Capuano is going to be the sideline reporter.

ASUMountaineer
December 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM
You gotta give them a reason to market it. No sense in wasting revenue for a fruitless endeavor.

The bowl games, from the most "insignificant" to the BCS are marketed as a package during the months leading up to bowl season. The whole idea is that during the holidays when everyone is home, you can have wall-to-wall college football from noon when the first games on the East start to 1 am when the last games on the West end. That's what draws viewers, regardless of how minor the bowl is or who is playing. Doesn't hurt that the majority of bowls this year have been great games.

Maybe the NCAA should start referring to the FCS NC as the "Championship Bowl" and market it that way.

DFW HOYA
December 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Maybe the NCAA should start referring to the FCS NC as the "Championship Bowl" and market it that way.

The NCAA Division III game is referred to as the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl. Makes no difference to ESPN because they don't care anyway.

ASUMountaineer
December 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
The NCAA Division III game is referred to as the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl. Makes no difference to ESPN because they don't care anyway.

That wasn't the point. The point was to call it a bowl to get it included in the "package" that cbarrier90 was referencing.

BisonAccountant44
December 31st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Is App State a recognizable name outside of FCS circles? According to many ASU fans, this lack of national representation is one reason way they need to go FBS.

The presence of the three teams you mentioned will fill the stands with well-travelled fan bases, but won't bring in a national TV audience.
THE FCS NC game is what it is, a game that means a lot to a subsegment of the football population.
For better or worse, the people at ESPN know what makes money for them. A big ad campaign won't change things much.

I think the best matchup to get the most casual viewers on name recognition alone would be Appy vs. a Villanova/UNI type team with a recent strong basketball history.

After that, I'd say any of the non-directional state schools would be the next best option. If we had a couple matchups like that in a row with a great atmosphere at the game, I think the ratings would start to creep up.

Hammerhead
December 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Given that BBVA Compass Bowl is on at roughly the same time on ESPN, I doubt the ratings will be very high even though the teams in both games would probably compete very well with each other.

pokefan02
December 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM
You can all bet that they will always schedule a bowl game at the same time as the NCAA Division 1 Football Championship Game

steelr7
December 31st, 2012, 07:27 PM
Looks like Dave Neal, Jay Walker, Cara Capuano according to the NDSU website.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM

Actually I think the semifinal game between App/Montana had pretty close to 2 million viewers a couple years ago so it does make some difference.

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2013, 09:07 AM

a few years ago at work with the Michigan vs Appy State game on ESPN Classic I made a sales pitch to watch this game for a bit and for a while I was able to pull of some amazing predications as the rest of the guys (some actually are football fans) had no clue the game had been played several years perviously..... I had fun with it for as long as I could before I let the cat out of the bag myself.... truth be told, none of them knew anything about Appy State and for a brief moment I found myself talking up the Appy football program and FCS football in general but they didn't care about the big upset. I gave up and let them change the channel.

kdinva
January 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM

So, we get Walker for 3 hours.........3 hours of comparing Bell and Jensen to every MEAC QB, past and present.........

marenlee
January 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM

Arty. Its going to be tempting to mute. You'd think for a guy that played d1aa ball he would know something about it.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM
So glad I'm going to be there so I don't have to listen to that.

gotts
January 2nd, 2013, 04:57 PM

This, times 1000.

Grizo406
January 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM

I'm happy for ya'! xnodx

If the Griz would have made it that far, me and 5 of my best friends would have made the trip, and we wouldn't have had to listen/watch the game on TV! Bad for us, but good for the Bison...your team deserve to be there!

I'd like to hear Pam Ward and Mike Tomczak call the game!

Saint3333
January 2nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Actually I think the semifinal game between App/Montana had pretty close to 2 million viewers a couple years ago so it does make some difference.

It was a 1.9, highest FCS rating ever. There were two 1AA playoff games that topped that in the mid-90's Marshall YSU games I believe.

A 1.0 isn't very good.

marenlee
January 3rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
It was a 1.9, highest FCS rating ever. There were two 1AA playoff games that topped that in the mid-90's Marshall YSU games I believe.

A 1.0 isn't very good.

I really love how ESPN has not mentioned the NCAA DIVISION 1 CHAMPIONSHIP game at all during the bowl season. I keep seeing ads for the BBVA Compass Bowl on Saturday xrolleyesx Gotta keep those corporate sponsors happy. Don't want to advertise a competing event. And it's sad ESPN has the broadcast rights for the NCAA championship for the next 1000 years.

bluehenbillk
January 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
I really love how ESPN has not mentioned the NCAA DIVISION 1 CHAMPIONSHIP game at all during the bowl season. I keep seeing ads for the BBVA Compass Bowl on Saturday xrolleyesx Gotta keep those corporate sponsors happy. Don't want to advertise a competing event. And it's sad ESPN has the broadcast rights for the NCAA championship for the next 1000 years.

Well it used to be on CBS & they didn't do squat with it either....

Hammerhead
January 3rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
They did mention the the FCS championship shortly after the 3rd quarter started in the Fiesta Bowl.

Ivytalk
January 4th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Dick Douchebag and Maury Moron.

blueballs
January 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I'm happy for ya'! xnodx

If the Griz would have made it that far, me and 5 of my best friends would have made the trip, and we wouldn't have had to listen/watch the game on TV! Bad for us, but good for the Bison...your team deserve to be there!

I'd like to hear Pam Ward and Mike Tomczak call the game!

Don't lie Grizo, you'd nail Pam Ward in every orifice and twice on Sundays.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM

All Hail the Flashlight King!

Grizo406
January 4th, 2013, 05:33 PM

True 'dat, Mr. balls!xnodx

But, from what I understand, even I'd hafta' bring my A+ game to do it!

Regardless, every game I've heard Ms. Ward call, she has always seemed better prepared than anyone else that I've heard call an FCS game. She doesn't yammer on and on about what's going on in the FBS, just sticks with the valid info about the team/conference she's covering at the time, and I like that...A LOT!