PDA

View Full Version : TSN's Top 10 Stories of Season

FanofFCS
December 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Some biggies in there.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_12_24_2012.htm

blueballs
December 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
9. A rush to 2,000 - Just when you thought it was safe to chuck the ball like Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington, here came the 2,000-yard rushers. South Dakota State sophomore Zach Zenner (2,044) and Wofford senior Eric Breitenstein (2,035) became the second pair of 2,000-yard rushers in an FCS season - Sacramento State's Charles Roberts and New Hampshire's Jerry Azumah first did it in 1998. Walter Payton Award runner-up Miguel Maysonet was 36 yards shy of making it a trio of 2,000-yard backs this season.

Just so we're all clear on this... Azumah's and Roberts' statistics DO NOT include the playoffs. Britenstein's and Zenner's DO include the playoffs.

Just to add a little more perspective GSU's Adrian Peterson rushed for 2704 yards and 40 TD's using the same criteria (counting ALL games played) in 1999 as the guys mentioned above, which is the gold standard for 1-AA/FCS season rushing totals.

Nevertheless, 2k is a phenomenal accomplishment regardless of how the NCAA chooses to count 'em up.

GlassOnion
December 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Dammit Sportsnetwork, how could you fail to pay homage to Adrian Peterson in the Top 10 Stories of THIS Season?

Shoddy reporting. xsmhx

Now, is this where I slip in AE's stats?

blueballs
December 24th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Dammit Sportsnetwork, how could you fail to pay homage to Adrian Peterson in the Top 10 Stories of THIS Season?

Shoddy reporting. xsmhx

If it is pertinent to the story as a point of reference/comparison as it relates to the NCAA's insane policy of stats/records pre/post 2001 then by all means...

AppAlum2003
December 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Not sure how Sean Price breaking the freshman receiving record held by Moss doesn't make the list. Maybe I'm just totally off-base, but he's getting NO love from the "national" media.

swaghook
December 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Too bad for Zenner that 2 games came against NDSU and was pretty much shut down both times. only 89 yards combined for those games. SIU was the only other team that had his number and kept him to 49 yards for the game. Next lowest was YSU at 87 yards.

blueballs
December 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Too bad for Zenner that 2 games came against NDSU and was pretty much shut down both times. only 89 yards combined for those games. SIU was the only other team that had his number and kept him to 49 yards for the game. Next lowest was YSU at 87 yards.

... Which, if my cipherins' right, and I still have my shoes on so it might not be, he averaged 200 YPG against everybody else, right??? Wow!!!

swaghook
December 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
... Which, if my cipherins' right, and I still have my shoes on so it might not be, he averaged 200 YPG against everybody else, right??? Wow!!!

Zach Zenner stats (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=201007)

He had 3 games over 200, 2 of those over 275. just 5 yards short of 300 against E.Ill in the play offs.

Mr. C
December 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Shoddy reporting. xsmhx

Probably because the person doing the story doesn't even know what the REAL record is.

Mr. C
December 24th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Not sure how Sean Price breaking the freshman receiving record held by Moss doesn't make the list. Maybe I'm just totally off-base, but he's getting NO love from the "national" media.

Price has gotten due from at least one national media source and will get even more when the All-Freshmen team and the final All-American team are released after the national championship game.