PDA

View Full Version : Autobid question #3

Hansel
August 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
Has a team which backed into the playoffs with an autobid (would not have been selected as an at-large by the playoff committee- EWU last year is an example) every made any noise in the playoffs?

(This one is a bit subjective, and again I don't know the answer)

89Hen
August 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Wow, now you're really testing. I'm not sure if what you are getting at is that autobids are worthless? I can't think of any weaker teams that got in with the auto and won, but I'm not sure that is the end all-be all measure.

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
The only team that comes near to this situation is the 1998 Umass team. I don't think it is fair to say they "backed into the playoffs" but they started slow (Losing to Delaware in the opener) and then came on at the end of the year. I thought they were the A-10 AQ but I could be wrong.

At any rate Mark Whipple gets very little credit for what I think is the best one year turnaround in I-AA History.

89Hen
August 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
I thought they were the A-10 AQ but I could be wrong.
You must remember that whacky year, UMass finished in third and had the distinction of losing to UConn TWICE in one season (and of course to UD too :p ), but only one counted for standings. UConn also had two Yankee losses (one to UD :p ) and was second but also got an at-large. Richmond was the auto at 7-1 with their only loss being to UMass. :rotateh:

HensRock
August 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM
The only team that comes near to this situation is the 1998 Umass team. I don't think it is fair to say they "backed into the playoffs" but they started slow (Losing to Delaware in the opener) and then came on at the end of the year. I thought they were the A-10 AQ but I could be wrong.

At any rate Mark Whipple gets very little credit for what I think is the best one year turnaround in I-AA History.

UMass was NOT the A-10 autobid that year. Richmond was. UConn also represented the A-10 in the playoffs. UMass was the 3rd A-10 to go that year. Here's an interesting bit of trivia - UConn beat UMass in the regular season that year, not once, but TWICE.

Husky Alum
August 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM
UMass was NOT the A-10 autobid that year. Richmond was. UConn also represented the A-10 in the playoffs. UMass was the 3rd A-10 to go that year. Here's an interesting bit of trivia - UConn beat UMass in the regular season that year, not once, but TWICE.

And we can thank Boston University for that!!!!

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
You must remember that whacky year, UMass finished in third and had the distinction of losing to UConn TWICE in one season (and of course to UD too :p ), but only one counted for standings. UConn also had two Yankee losses (one to UD :p ) and was second but also got an at-large. Richmond was the auto at 7-1 with their only loss being to UMass. :rotateh:

Actually 89, that was one of the years I try to forget. We had a returning Nagy from a '97 semifinal team. We beat Umass and underachieved for the rest of the year. I guess since Umass did not get the auto bid they did not back into the playoffs and therefore does not qualify for Hansel's prize. Reid's Richmond team did not do all that well in the playoffs.

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 09:57 PM
You must remember that whacky year,

My experience, every year in the A-10 is whacky!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Hansel
August 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure if what you are getting at is that autobids are worthless?

Pretty much, my point is teams should have to prove their "playoff worthiness" over the course of a whole season (11-12 games) not just 6-8 conference games

LUHawker
August 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Actually 89, that was one of the years I try to forget. We had a returning Nagy from a '97 semifinal team. We beat Umass and underachieved for the rest of the year. I guess since Umass did not get the auto bid they did not back into the playoffs and therefore does not qualify for Hansel's prize. Reid's Richmond team did not do all that well in the playoffs.

Richmond was bounced by #14 seed Lehigh in Round 1 in a close game.

LUHawker
August 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM

Hansel
August 22nd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Wow, now you're really testing. I'm not sure if what you are getting at is that autobids are worthless? I can't think of any weaker teams that got in with the auto and won, but I'm not sure that is the end all-be all measure.
Alternatively- each conference could be guaranteed a postseason slot- though not necessarily the "conference winner", again this would put more emphasis on the entire season

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 22nd, 2006, 09:36 AM

Wow, wish we still seeded that many teams... ;)

89Hen
August 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Pretty much, my point is teams should have to prove their "playoff worthiness" over the course of a whole season (11-12 games) not just 6-8 conference games
I used to like the idea of no autos, but I'm in the other camp now. There have been years when the OVC or MEAC may not have gotten any representation in the playoffs without their auto. There are other cases as well. Let's just say for S&G's that the following happens in the Big Sky this year...

Portland State (7-4, 7-1) losses to Oregon, Cal, New Mexico and EWU
Idaho State (8-3, 7-1) losses to UNLV, Idaho and PSU
Montana (8-3, 6-2) losses to Iowa, ISU and PSU

In this scenario PSU are really the Big Sky champions, but they would sit home while ISU and UM probably both go to the playoffs. Just doesn't seem right to me.

89Hen
August 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Alternatively- each conference could be guaranteed a postseason slot- though not necessarily the "conference winner", again this would put more emphasis on the entire season
:confused: Not sure I follow. It's up to the conference as to who they send, but it doesn't have to be their champion? I doubt you'd get anyone to go for that. Conferences could play games with the bid. If they have three teams at 9-2, send a 7-4 team so they can get four in! :thumbsup:

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Wow, wish we still seeded that many teams... ;)

Be careful what you wish for - look at all the banter that goes around now concerning the subjective nature of picking the last team or two into the field of 16. Now imagine the committee coming up with 16 subjective decisions for the seeding - it wasn't all rosy before and it won't be when they do it again.

henfan
August 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
Be careful what you wish for - look at all the banter that goes around now concerning the subjective nature of picking the last team or two into the field of 16. Now imagine the committee coming up with 16 subjective decisions for the seeding - it wasn't all rosy before and it won't be when they do it again.

Yup. And not only that but folks seem to forget that the PSC usually considered geography as the main criteria when seeding teams. For example, the team at #12 or #13 might have otherwise been at #16 if seeds were being awarded strictly on competitive measures. The people pining for the days of the Marshall Invitational probably weren't around to experience the 'fairness' of seeding firsthand.

Frankly, I enjoy more regional seeding for 1st Round games over Thanksgiving weekend. I doesn't make sense/cents to fly teams across the country when they can take a couple hour busride within the region. It's difficult enough for the NCAA to break even with those lowly attended 1st Rounders.:twocents:

Hansel
August 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
:confused: Not sure I follow. It's up to the conference as to who they send, but it doesn't have to be their champion? I doubt you'd get anyone to go for that. Conferences could play games with the bid. If they have three teams at 9-2, send a 7-4 team so they can get four in! :thumbsup:
Playoff Commitee would decide- not the conference

For instance last year in the BSC Montana would have been gone, EWU would likely have stayed home

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM

For instance last year in the BSC Montana would have been gone, EWU would likely have stayed home

Then why even have a conference? Just schedule 11 teams that you think you can beat. Autobids are as much a reward for conference STABILITY as anything else, which is a very good thing, IMHO.

Grizzaholic
August 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
If memory serves, Montana in 1995 got in with an auto but was seeded in the middle of the pack. But luck for us teams kept getting knocked off and we didn't have to travel at all. 3 home games with huge results.:)

89Hen
August 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

You really think the NCAA would pass over a team that placed higher in the conference? You think there's outrage now when a team feels they got slighted....