PDA

View Full Version : Autobid Question #1

Hansel
August 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
What NCAA sport (other than I-AA football) uses an arbitrary "competitiveness" criteria to determine which subset of conferences gets an automatic qualifer?

(I don't know)

89Hen
August 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM
What NCAA sport (other than I-AA football) uses an arbitrary "competitiveness" criteria to determine which subset of conferences gets an automatic qualifer?
I don't know for sure, but the men's lacrosse tourney does not give autos to all the DI conferences (ECAC and ACC don't get them). :twocents:

DFW HOYA
August 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM
I don't know for sure, but the men's lacrosse tourney does not give autos to all the DI conferences (ECAC and ACC don't get them). :twocents:

The ECAC does get a bid. The ACC does not because there is only four members in the league.

blur2005
August 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
The ECAC does get a bid. The ACC does not because there is only four members in the league.
Doesn't seem to matter much, as the conference often gets all four in.

blur2005
August 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
Doesn't seem to matter much, as the conference often gets all four in.

89Hen
August 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
The ECAC does get a bid.
Surprisingly not....

http://www.ncaasports.com/lacrosse/mens/story/9424146

The 16-team field includes six conference champions with automatic qualification – American East Conference (University of Maryland, Baltimore County), Colonial Athletic Association (Hofstra University), Great Western Lacrosse League (University of Denver), Ivy League (Cornell University), Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (Providence College) and Patriot League (U.S. Naval Academy). The rest of the field was selected at large.

UAalum72
August 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Surprisingly not....

The 16-team field includes six conference champions with automatic qualification – American East Conference (University of Maryland, Baltimore County), Colonial Athletic Association (Hofstra University), Great Western Lacrosse League (University of Denver), Ivy League (Cornell University), Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (Providence College) and Patriot League (U.S. Naval Academy). The rest of the field was selected at large.
The ECAC did have a bid in 2002 , see page 33, Appendix C in http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/lacrosse/2002/2002_m_lacrosse.pdf

but only four of those teams are still in the ECAC (Navy went to the Patriot and UMBC to America East), so it probably doesn't meet the continuity-of-membership rule.

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 10:44 PM
Surprisingly not....

Only 6 autobids and not a bit of whining about a non scollie team not getting an auto bid (Of course those guys are playing at Salisbury or Washington College in the D-3 final) What an excellent example of how I-AA football should pick its teams for the playoffs!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

UAalum72
August 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
EVERY eligible conference gets an auto bid and not a bit of whining about a non scollie team diluting the quality of the field. What an excellent example of how I-AA football should pick its teams for the playoffs!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

bluehenbillk
August 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
EVERY eligible conference gets an auto bid and not a bit of whining about a non scollie team diluting the quality of the field. What an excellent example of how I-AA football should pick its teams for the playoffs!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

C'mon down to Newark on 9/16, you can see the difference for yourself.

UAalum72
August 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
C'mon down to Newark on 9/16, you can see the difference for yourself.
I'll be there, but if anything it'll be MORE competitive than some lacrosse playoff games.

bluehenbillk
August 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
I'll be there, but if anything it'll be MORE competitive than some lacrosse playoff games.

I might not say that, the most lopsided 1st round games in this years lax tourney were 13-3, 11-4 & 16-8.

I'd think 41-10 or so is even more lopsided than that.

TheValleyRaider
August 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
I might not say that, the most lopsided 1st round games in this years lax tourney were 13-3, 11-4 & 16-8.

I'd think 41-10 or so is even more lopsided than that.

But if you break that down to the number of times a team scores, that would be around 6-2 (6 TDs with 1 missed PAT against a TD and FG). 6-2 is not more lopsided than 13-3 or 11-4 just because each score is worth more than 1 point.

bluehenbillk
August 24th, 2006, 07:31 AM
But if you break that down to the number of times a team scores, that would be around 6-2 (6 TDs with 1 missed PAT against a TD and FG). 6-2 is not more lopsided than 11-4 just because each score is worth more than 1 point.

Colgate must be a liberal arts school because math is not your strong point. 6-2 is the equivalent of 12-4, fractions must've thrown you for a tizzy.