PDA

View Full Version : To Georgia Southern fans.....

appstate91
December 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Wishing you the best of luck tonite xthumbsupx. Do any of you have recent info on a possible move to the SunBelt together. Its been stone quiet on this end. Im not sure if we have signed a "gag order" or what. Maby its not in the cards for us. If you guys make the move without us and we are stuck in the SoCon without our biggest rival, well the thought of that makes me sick to my stomach.
Its GREAT to be a Mountaineer !!!

MarkyMark
December 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I am pretty sure the SunBelt announcement is coming out on Monday

asumike83
December 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Go Georgia Southern!

... I'm going to go take a shower now. xlolx

GATA_GSU
December 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Our Athletic Director has indeed been in contact with the Sun Belt Conference. But no official invitation has come our way yet. Perhaps there are still some things to be discussed, or perhaps the Sun Belt is waiting for GSU to complete their season. Either way, the announcement will probably come soon. Hopefully not Monday, since that'd (probably) mean we lost to NDSU.

I'd also like to see App State join the Sun Belt. I imagine App and Georgia State can be huge conference rivals for GSU for years to come.

asumike83
December 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Our Athletic Director has indeed been in contact with the Sun Belt Conference. But no official invitation has come our way yet. Perhaps there are still some things to be discussed, or perhaps the Sun Belt is waiting for GSU to complete their season. Either way, the announcement will probably come soon. Hopefully not Monday, since that'd (probably) mean we lost to NDSU.

I'd also like to see App State join the Sun Belt. I imagine App and Georgia State can be huge conference rivals for GSU for years to come.

If GSU is indeed heading to the SBC, I'd think the announcement will come next week regardless. Of course I could be wrong but I'm not sure if they would hold off on an announcement until January. Plus, if you guys do win, an FBS announcement would mean your last shot at an FCS title and likely increase ticket sales to the championship game.

Southern Bison
December 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I am pretty sure the SunBelt announcement is coming out on Monday

SunBelt is smart to wait until after the GaSo season is over. xthumbsupx

GSC75
December 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanx guys.... word was the announcement will come once our season is over...MarkyMark is infering it'll be over tonite and the word comes down Monday... I would prefer to wait until after the NC game.

SpeedkingATL
December 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Good luck on both fronts Eagles. GATA tonight!

AppStsGr8
December 14th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Good luck, GaSo. GATA!

AppTrex77
December 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Good luck on both fronts Eagles. GATA tonight!

I second that. . . . will be watching you kick some "BISON BUTT" tonight!!! GO GaSouthern!

Apphole
December 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Go Stink!

Hail Southern!

and FBS NOW!

gsu2583
December 14th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Go Stink!

Hail Southern!

and FBS NOW!

Brought a tear to my eye...

deez_na
December 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Go Bison!

citdog
December 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hurrah for

http://christopherfountain.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/pigs-at-the-trough-3.jpg

gsu2583
December 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Go to hell Bison!

FIFY

deez_na
December 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
FIFY

OH hey now, you shouldn't talk to your daddy like that.

Eaglesrus
December 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Wishing you the best of luck tonite xthumbsupx. Do any of you have recent info on a possible move to the SunBelt together. Its been stone quiet on this end. Im not sure if we have signed a "gag order" or what. Maby its not in the cards for us. If you guys make the move without us and we are stuck in the SoCon without our biggest rival, well the thought of that makes me sick to my stomach.
Its GREAT to be a Mountaineer !!!

All that I can tell you is that our new AD is hell-bent on going, thinks strongly that it will be to the Sun Belt, and just as strongly that it will be a package deal of y'all and us. I've personally heard him talk about this in person on more than one occasion, in both large and small groups. Be that as it may, thanks for the well-wishes from all of you App State guys.

cmaxwellgsu
December 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Wow, an App posted support thread for us! Maybe the Mayans are right! Enjoy your last week everybody!

MarkyMark
December 15th, 2012, 12:13 PM
So if the announcement to move up to FBS comes on Monday, will GSU and APP likely move to FBS in Fall of 2013 or in 2014?

Do you have exit fees in the SoCon?

swaghook
December 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hoping they delay the announcement until after June of 2012 and a start in 2014. The players deserve one more shot at the play offs. Really don't think this is a good move for them but it is what it is and wish them the best of luck on the move but I think the fans will come to miss the FCS and play offs.

gsu_paintballer
December 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hoping they delay the announcement until after June of 2012 and a start in 2014. The players deserve one more shot at the play offs. Really don't think this is a good move for them but it is what it is and wish them the best of luck on the move but I think the fans will come to miss the FCS and play offs.

Thered still be a shot at an at-large bid, if I understand correctly.

swaghook
December 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thered still be a shot at an at-large bid, if I understand correctly.

Just bribe the damn committee to get in on the other side of the bracket then for next year. I really want a Bison vs Eagles NC it would be a classic game for the ages.( one can dream right?)

Wilson16
December 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wow, an App posted support thread for us! Maybe the Mayans are right! Enjoy your last week everybody!

It's a Kissin Cousin kinda thing

boogereagle
December 15th, 2012, 12:37 PM

There are some GSU fans who don't want to see it happen, but we're apparently either a minority or a very silent portion of the fanbase and one which doesn't participate in surveys. Funny thing is, MOST of the fans I know DON'T want to make the move.

I could see it if we were winning every game 100-0 and were so clearly superior to other programs that it made no sense to stay were we are in terms of competition, but we haven't won a title in 12 years and are going home early again.

Instead, we're competitive with the top programs in FCS --- and we won't be in FBS, so why make the move? Makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'm old.

GSU Eagle
December 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Lots of talk about an imminent invite to the SunBelt but I have seen nothing from the SB commissioner about any invites. Who knows? I am still not convinced that we are really on the SB's radar in terms of getting an invite. I think many of the SB teams don't want any more moveups from the FCS.

What I do know is that if we are invited we would accept. Our president and new AD have made that very clear.

So the ball is in the SunBelt's hands at this point.

NDSU is the big dog in the FCS right now. We were there in the past. It was a great time to have home game after home game in the playoffs. I hope the NDSU fans appreciate the position they are in. It could change quickly-- a coach leaves, a bad recruiting year or whatever. We have had Coach Monken now for 3 years and we are back to being relevant again-- top 4 all 3 years. Maybe we will get some more chances in the FCS playoffs-- time will tell.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Lots of talk about an imminent invite to the SunBelt but I have seen nothing from the SB commissioner about any invites. Who knows? I am still not convinced that we are really on the SB's radar in terms of getting an invite. I think many of the SB teams don't want any more moveups from the FCS.

What I do know is that if we are invited we would accept. Our president and new AD have made that very clear.

NDSU is the big dog in the FCS right now. We were there in the past. It was a great time to have home game after home game in the playoffs. I hope the NDSU fans appreciate the position they are in. It could change quickly-- a coach leaves, a bad recruiting year or whatever. We have had Coach Monken now for 3 years and we are back to being relevant again-- top 4 all 3 years. Maybe we will get some more chances in the FCS playoffs-- time will tell.

I definitely agree with this.

Next year's Bison team will also be very good considering most of the players this year are juniors or under. After next year this will come back down for the Bison. But this will be an opportunity for young guys to step-up and become the next star on the team.

It seems that the Bison have had some good recruiting classes to replace these juniors after next year.

It has been a pretty good 2 yrs so far.....xthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
December 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I definitely agree with this.

Next year's Bison team will also be very good considering most of the players this year are juniors or under. After next year this will come back down for the Bison. But this will be an opportunity for young guys to step-up and become the next star on the team.
It seems that the Bison have had some good recruiting classes to replace these juniors after next year.

It has been a pretty good 2 yrs so far.....xthumbsupx

This brings a point to my mind about our team, that being that our juniors and seniors still weren't recruited by Coach Monken and his staff. We'll most definitely miss these guys, but it will be interesting to see how their replacements do.

frozennorth
December 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
neither gsu or asu will be going anywhere until the sunbelt knows whats going on with the wreckage of the big east.

The Moody1
December 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
neither gsu or asu will be going anywhere until the sunbelt knows whats going on with the wreckage of the big east.

The seven basketball schools are leaving to form their own conference in 2015. The Football schools will probably just press on. If there is any fall out I don't see any of those schools heading for the Sun Belt.

walliver
December 15th, 2012, 11:20 PM
So if the announcement to move up to FBS comes on Monday, will GSU and APP likely move to FBS in Fall of 2013 or in 2014?

Do you have exit fees in the SoCon?

Exit fees are $300,000 with >2 year notice
$600,000 with <2 year notice

Since the schools leaving the Sunbelt don't actually leave until 2014, it would be unlikely that any new teams would join prior to that time.

Bisonoline
December 15th, 2012, 11:49 PM

Ive played a lot of ball in my life and have watched more games than I can remember. But I can tell you one thing---- the last two games between GSU and NDSU were two of the best hard fought games Ive seen. Wish you guys well where ever you end up in the future.

seantaylor
December 16th, 2012, 01:34 AM
This brings a point to my mind about our team, that being that our juniors and seniors still weren't recruited by Coach Monken and his staff. We'll most definitely miss these guys, but it will be interesting to see how their replacements do.

Better. Monken is a much better coach, recruiter, and developer of players than Hatcher. Next year's offense is going to put up crazy points.

PhillyApp1
December 16th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Ive played a lot of ball in my life and have watched more games than I can remember. But I can tell you one thing---- the last two games between GSU and NDSU were two of the best hard fought games Ive seen. Wish you guys well where ever you end up in the future.

We have those same tough games every year against GSU, and add a little hate to the formula and you now understand the ASU/GSU games annually.