PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State makes it official. Satterfield era begins.

Pages : [1] 2

RadioFan
December 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
https://twitter.com/AppTrailWSJ/status/279393421284749312

Smart Hire and the best hire that could have been made. Satterfield took a very anemic App State offense from last year and turned it to the 9th best this year.

The man knows how to win and I'm sure will continue to do so.

appsfan
December 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM
It will be interesting to see what changes he makes to the coaching staff. Congrats to Coach Satterfield!

RadioFan
December 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Get a new DC and App is all set.

md64179
December 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I wonder if SS will make a defensive change, or if he has too much years/ respect for jones.

Mr. C
December 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Get a new DC and App is all set.

I guess you missed the part about the OLD DC having a three-year contract in place, just like the recruiting coordinator does.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Jones only has one year left on his contract, would not be surprised for SS to give him one year to show significent improvement, or his contract will not be renewed.

Bisonoline
December 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Best of luck with your new coach!!!!

Saint3333
December 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Yep only one year remaining. He is also rumored to be in the running for another job.

Mr. C
December 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Jones only has one year left on his contract, would not be surprised for SS to give him one year to show significent improvement, or his contract will not be renewed.

Not from what my sources are telling me. The three-year contracts were supposedly handed out sometime after the 2011 season.

ASUG8
December 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Big shoes to fill. Best of luck Scott.

Skjellyfetti
December 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Not from what my sources are telling me. The three-year contracts were supposedly handed out sometime after the 2011 season.

Does the contract stipulate that it's a 3 year contract for defensive coordinator?

I'd be fine moving him back to just LB coach, though I'm sure his salary would still have to be the same so I'm not sure if that's feasible financially.

I don't think anyone can argue that the man is a fabulous linebacker coach and I would hate to completely lose him because of that. His defenses as thecoordinator haven't been up to snuff though, imo.

WataugaDave
December 14th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Well, congratulations Coach Satterfield.

Hopefully this means a smooth transition to continued success for the Mountaineers.

SpeedkingATL
December 14th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Good hire. I too agree that the defensive side of the ball needs to be addressed. Until then App will just have to out score the opposition, and with SS running things that might be possible.

Apphole
December 14th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Would it violate Jones' contract to move him to LB coach and bring in a new DC, assuming he keeps his same salary?

Appattk
December 14th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Good hire. I too agree that the defensive side of the ball needs to be addressed. Until then App will just have to out score the opposition, and with SS running things that might be possible.

I wonder if SS's ability to play-call will be impacted by the fact that he'll be on the field and not in the pressbox....

AppIAA
December 14th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I wonder if SS's ability to play-call will be impacted by the fact that he'll be on the field and not in the pressbox....

Satterfield said in the press conference that he will still have a large part of scheming for the offense but he will hire someone else to be the OC. Satterfield will not be the HC/OC.

Appattk
December 14th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Satterfield said in the press conference that he will still have a large part of scheming for the offense but he will hire someone else to be the OC. Satterfield will not be the HC/OC.

That scares me a bit... He was always the "brain" behind the playcalling... While he's great at developing the plays, I think his genius is in the "timing" involved in reading the defense and calling in the right play....

cbarrier90
December 14th, 2012, 07:37 PM
That scares me a bit... He was always the "brain" behind the playcalling... While he's great at developing the plays, I think his genius is in the "timing" involved in reading the defense and calling in the right play....

He also said he'd look for someone who "fits." No doubt he'll bring somebody in with his same style.

asumike83
December 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM
He also said he'd look for someone who "fits." No doubt he'll bring somebody in with his same style.

Agreed. One thing I am NOT worried about is the future of our offense.

citdog
December 14th, 2012, 08:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSFWZpDZjo

AppAlum2003
December 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSFWZpDZjo

Actually, when I'm doing that, I prefer someone with a different style.

ngineer
December 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
You couldn't ask for 'moore'....(;-)

ASUMountaineer
December 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I guess you missed the part about the OLD DC having a three-year contract in place, just like the recruiting coordinator does.

No need to be curt.

RadioFan
December 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
No need to be curt.

Mr. C has no patience for anyone sometimes, it seems.

ASUMountaineer
December 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Mr. C has no patience for anyone sometimes, it seems.

He's usually pretty even-keeled. But, he may still be upset for the way Jerry was "blindsided."

Winindy
December 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Satterfield should be a fairly seamless pick for the transition. But he's got a pretty tough act that he's following. The fan support tends to be rather unforgiving of coaches that follow legends. Unless, of course, they knock it out of the park immediately.

GlassOnion
December 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Im more excited about the 2013 Apps than Ive been of any team since the departure of AE.

We'll finally know what its like to watch the App's play against opposing teams that dont know whats coming next.

Apphole
December 17th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Im more excited about the 2013 Apps than Ive been of any team since the departure of AE.

We'll finally know what its like to watch the App's play against opposing teams that dont know whats coming next.

Fans of SoCon teams should be very worried about an unbridled Scott Satterfield. Holding ASU to under 30 points will be a challenge.

Now if nothing changes with the defensive coaching staff, they should also be licking their chops and preparing for shoot out games with points in the 60's and 70's.

GlassOnion
December 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Fans of SoCon teams should be very worried about an unbridled Scott Satterfield. Holding ASU to under 30 points will be a challenge.

Now if nothing changes with the defensive coaching staff, they should also be licking their chops and preparing for shoot out games with points in the 60's and 70's.

I think so. Ive never seen an offense stacked with this many recievers in FCS. Price, Peacock, Jones, Washington, McElfresh, and adding Sumler, Barrett Burns, Chris Starks, and Tysean Holloway, has to be the best recieving corps in FCS, bar none. Cant ask for any better situation to break in a 3 star redshirted RB than returning 100% of the rest of the offense, including a Jerry Rice candidate freshman WR and Payton candidate QB.

Price was the lone App offensive All-American on a top 10 offense. I predict that will not be the case in 2013.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 17th, 2012, 03:29 PM
With Saterfield as HC, App will not have any problems recriting great offensive players, kids love playing in this offense, and we have a good reputation of kids getting their shot at the NFL. Just like this year, we will go as far as the defense carries us. Alot of pressure on our defensive coordinator, Jones, he has been there 4 years as DC, if he doesnt improve the defense dramatically, he will not be around for a sixth year.

GlassOnion
December 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM
It seems our biggest recruits are coming on the defensive side of the ball.

citdog
December 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think so. Ive never seen an offense stacked with this many recievers in FCS. Price, Peacock, Jones, Washington, McElfresh, and adding Sumler, Barrett Burns, Chris Starks, and Tysean Holloway, has to be the best recieving corps in FCS, bar none. Cant ask for any better situation to break in a 3 star redshirted RB than returning 100% of the rest of the offense, including a Jerry Rice candidate freshman WR and Payton candidate QB.

Price was the lone App offensive All-American on a top 10 offense. I predict that will not be the case in 2013.

weren't you calling me the new chattown earlier? I doubt roddy white or julio jones could start with that group.

GlassOnion
December 17th, 2012, 03:59 PM
weren't you calling me the new chattown earlier? I doubt roddy white or julio jones could start with that group.

WTH are you babbling about?

asumike83
December 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM

I think we could probably hold onto a scholarship for Julio.

... biggest problem with our wide receivers is that they can't defend the triple option or tackle anybody!

RadioFan
December 18th, 2012, 02:50 PM
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Appalachian State: We hear that defensive line coach Jason Blalock will not be retained. We also hear that Dale Jones, who served as the defensive coordinator last season, will not serve as defensive coordinator next season, but has been offered a position on the staff.

The Moody1
December 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

This is good news. Hopefully, DJ will stay on as LB coach.

Accelerati Incredibilus
December 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Jones has been trying to hook on at UT ever since he came to Boone. Hope he is successful this time. Will his need of an $86K job overcome his bruised ego of being demoted?

ASU_Fanatic
December 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM

Got shut down by James Dockery, Captain Munnerlyn, DJ Campbell and Julio Jones ooooohhhhhyyaaaaa

citdog
December 18th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Got shut down by James Dockery, Captain Munnerlyn, DJ Campbell and Julio Jones ooooohhhhhyyaaaaa

asufanatic is a WUG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xEX1qF4XMmY/TTyYUOYv3oI/AAAAAAAAAOA/o_mGhtDsfbE/s320/white-thugs.jpg

T-Dog
December 19th, 2012, 06:59 AM
With these moves, it means that every coaching position has changed in the 380 days. If Jones leaves, it means that Scot Sloan will be the only holdover from the 2011 season (secondary coach who added the RC title last off-season).

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM

In two games against Carolina, those two caught 15 passes for 382 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Kudos to the Panthers for actually showing up in a game once this season. :)

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
asufanatic is a WUG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xEX1qF4XMmY/TTyYUOYv3oI/AAAAAAAAAOA/o_mGhtDsfbE/s320/white-thugs.jpg

Nah I'm a southron

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 08:08 AM
In two games against Carolina, those two caught 15 passes for 382 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Kudos to the Panthers for actually showing up in a game once this season. :)

Falcons still lose their first playoff game. Ryan never will win a Super Bowl, Cam will. Imagine if he had Julio and Roddy

CID1990
December 19th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Touchdown Citadel!!!

asumike83
December 19th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Falcons still lose their first playoff game. Ryan never will win a Super Bowl, Cam will. Imagine if he had Julio and Roddy

Fact: Cam Newton and Matt Ryan have the exact same number of wins and TD passes in the playoffs. Falcons may win one playoff game depending on the match-up but that's about it. I'd take the Giants, 49ers or Packers over them in a postseason game.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM

where will the panthers be during the playoffs? scam newton is a BUST and will never win anything.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Fact: Cam Newton and Matt Ryan have the exact same number of wins and TD passes in the playoffs. Falcons may win one playoff game depending on the match-up but that's about it. I'd take the Giants, 49ers or Packers over them in a postseason game.

when did scam throw 3 touchdowns in the playoffs? FACT is you're wrong. Falcons 34 Giants 0 last sunday.

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Touchdown Citadel!!!

Would you like to get in on the action with me and Citdog? No, I'm not talking some gay cadet orgy that you're used to. I'm talking avatar bet for the game.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM
where will the panthers be during the playoffs? scam newton is a BUST and will never win anything.

Give me his stats through his first 2 years and please tell me how he's been a bust. Consider his line and weapons around him too.

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Give me his stats through his first 2 years and please tell me how he's been a bust. Consider his line and weapons around him too.

Cam is a manchild. He has more talent than any NFL QB, but is not a leader. If he matures, he can be the greatest ever. The jury is still out.

As far as stats go, the guy is as good as anyone. Ask any fantasy owner.

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM
when did scam throw 3 touchdowns in the playoffs? FACT is you're wrong. Falcons 34 Giants 0 last sunday.

As you like to say regarding ASU/Citadel football. What happened the last time the Panthers/Falcons played?

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM

xlolx That's a clever and novel nickname, did you come up with that on your own?

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Wait, the playoffs started last week?

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Here is the problem with panthers 'fans'.......THEY AREN'T REALLY FANS AT ALL. In the back of the closet of every panthers 'fan' there is one of these.....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-80s-90s-Nylon-Satin-Starter-Jacket-NFL-Dallas-Cowboys-Navy-Blue-Large-L-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16hHJHIE9nysfpeeBQps%28fegG!~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/VTG-80s-90s-Nylon-Satin-Starter-Jacket-NFL-Washington-Redskins-Burgundy-Red-Med-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8w0rBQf1ZqizoQ~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQzWDU3Nw==/$%28KGrHqR,!roF!9ZGzDN8BQcf8ZMIGQ~~60_35.JPG

if you can just switch teams you were NEVER a REAL FAN to begin with.

Please don't try and compare your bust of a qb with our Matt Ryan.......newton has done NOTHING to even be mentioned in the same paragraph.

asumike83
December 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Right you are, Matty Regular Season Ice has tossed 3 TDs and 4 INTs in his 3 playoff losses. I had last season's 24-2 beating on my mind. He threw 2 touchdowns in his first playoff game (6-point loss), 1 in garbage time of his second playoff game (27-point loss) and none in his third game (22-point loss). Trending upward, I want that guy in my corner with the season on the line.

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Here is the problem with panthers 'fans'.......THEY AREN'T REALLY FANS AT ALL. In the back of the closet of every panthers 'fan' there is one of these.....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-80s-90s-Nylon-Satin-Starter-Jacket-NFL-Dallas-Cowboys-Navy-Blue-Large-L-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16hHJHIE9nysfpeeBQps%28fegG!~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/VTG-80s-90s-Nylon-Satin-Starter-Jacket-NFL-Washington-Redskins-Burgundy-Red-Med-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8w0rBQf1ZqizoQ~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQzWDU3Nw==/$%28KGrHqR,!roF!9ZGzDN8BQcf8ZMIGQ~~60_35.JPG

Please don't try and compare your bust of a qb with our Matt Ryan.......newton has done NOTHING to even be mentioned in the same paragraph.

As with all young pro teams, the state has a ton of people with previous allegiances before the team existed. But rest assured, the Panthers do have fans. Considering we've been a bottom feeder in the NFL for three years in a row (record wise), having as many was we do is impressive.

I was only 5 years old when the Panthers arrived in Charlotte in 1994. I could care less about the Cowgirls, Foreskins or Iggles.

KEEP POUNDING!!!

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I have unique insight on the matter as I am not only an Falcons fan, but also an Auburn fan.

Newton is one heck of an athlete. He is arrogant as the day is long, but can play football. Once he figures out that there are 11 guys on the field, and they are all important, the Panthers will be fine. As of right now, they are focusing their entire offense around Newton, and not around their stud running backs. Exhibit A as to why their record is terrible.

With the Falcons, I don't get a big rise out of the "haven't won a playoff game" argument. Ryan inherited an absolute trainwreck in 2008. Star quarterback in jail. Backup quarterback (Schaub) traded. Coach quits mid season. Absolute trainwreck. Folks need to just comprehend for two seconds that it is not like he inherited a Superbowl challenger poised for deep playoff runs.

Ryan has now made the playoffs in four of his first five years in the league. The last two playoff losses were to the eventual champs (who basically thrashed everyone else too). He is fargin 33-4 as a starter in the Georgia dome. Counting this season, Ryan will have one fewer playoff appearance than Drew Brees in less than half the time. He has the same number of playoff appearances as Aaron Rodgers, who has been in the league 3 years longer. I realize the playoff record is a sore spot, but to compare Ryan and Newton at this point is laughable (and I like Newton).

After watching the Birds throttle the Giants (in what may have been the most dominating single performance by any NFL team all season), I have no reservations that the Falcons can handle whichever team shows up in the Dome this post-season. The Falcons simply do not lose at home, and they are all but guaranteed that the NFC title will run through Atlanta.

eaglewraith
December 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I have unique insight on the matter as I am not only an Falcons fan, but also an Auburn fan.

So you have felt our BVG pain as well.

asumike83
December 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
With the Falcons, I don't get a big rise out of the "haven't won a playoff game" argument. Ryan inherited an absolute trainwreck in 2008. Star quarterback in jail. Backup quarterback (Schaub) traded. Coach quits mid season. Absolute trainwreck. Folks need to just comprehend for two seconds that it is not like he inherited a Superbowl challenger poised for deep playoff runs.

Ryan has now made the playoffs in four of his first five years in the league. The last two playoff losses were to the eventual champs (who basically thrashed everyone else too). He is fargin 33-4 as a starter in the Georgia dome. Counting this season, Ryan will have one fewer playoff appearance than Drew Brees in less than half the time. He has the same number of playoff appearances as Aaron Rodgers, who has been in the league 3 years longer. I realize the playoff record is a sore spot, but to compare Ryan and Newton at this point is laughable (and I like Newton).

Agree but Cam inherted a team in just as much disarray, if not more. 2-14 season before he was drafted, new first-time head coach and a lockout season that prevented him from practicing with his teammates. He was basically handed a 2-win team and told "go get 'em". Of course, he has to win more games to get in the conversation of the top NFL quarterbacks but he definitely made the team better.

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM

No need to be curt.

Wow, Mr. C. You neg-repped me for that post? You're the first person since I joined the board in 2005 that has neg-repped me. Was that necessary? Any reason you didn't just come out and say it without hiding behind a neg-rep? So much for all of the times I've had your back on AGS. I guess you showed me! xlolx What a joke!

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Newton is one heck of an athlete. He is arrogant as the day is long, but can play football. Once he figures out that there are 11 guys on the field, and they are all important, the Panthers will be fine. As of right now, they are focusing their entire offense around Newton, and not around their stud running backs. Exhibit A as to why their record is terrible.

After watching the Birds throttle the Giants (in what may have been the most dominating single performance by any NFL team all season), I have no reservations that the Falcons can handle whichever team shows up in the Dome this post-season. The Falcons simply do not lose at home, and they are all but guaranteed that the NFC title will run through Atlanta.

I agree, Cam can do things that Matty Ice can't. :D Time will tell who will be the better QB, but right now Ryan would be above Cam in almost everyone's rankings of QB's. As was pointed out by asumike, if Matty Ice gets a pass for joining a "trainwreck" team, so should Cam.

Let's look at this differently though. If winning regular season games is the measure, then Matty Ice is an excellent QB. The Falcons just beat the Giants badly, but who here would take Ryan over Eli? I wouldn't, and I dislike every NFL QB with the last name Manning. While Eli hasn't put up the regular season numbers that Ryan has, he is clutch in the playoffs. This has nothing to do with Ryan vs. Cam, except that I point this out to show that while Ryan is ahead of Cam currently, it's not as big of a gap as some here are trying to say.

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM

xboringx Get a new insult, that one is old and worn out. I know you pine for things from the past, but it's getting old. Also, while I know some Panthers fans that still have a soft spot for the Cowgirls and Deadskins, I know of none that give a **** about the Dirty Turds from Shatlanta.

cbarrier90
December 19th, 2012, 11:28 AM

Falcons were in playoff form that day...

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM
xboringx Get a new insult, that one is old and worn out. I know you pine for things from the past, but it's getting old. Also, while I know some Panthers fans that still have a soft spot for the Cowgirls and Deadskins, I know of none that give a **** about the Dirty Turds from Shatlanta.

NFC SOUTH CHAMPS Dirty turds from shatlanta.

ACCURACY is essential to liberty.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Falcons were in playoff form that day...

did they have an extra point blocked and lose in overtime?

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
NFC SOUTH CHAMPS Dirty turds from shatlanta.

ACCURACY is essential to liberty.

My post was ACCURATE. I did not say they weren't the NFC South Champs, but congrats on winning one of the worst divisions in the NFL! xthumbsupx I hope your boys can finally win a playoff game...otherwise Mike Smith might just cry.

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/storage/Getty_S_121211_Mike%20Smith.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACH EVERSION=1323693518685

ACCURACY is essential to not looking douchey. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM

No, the Dirty Turds from Shatlanta were only in playoff form that day. Unlike Citadel, App State actually played in a playoff game.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I agree Cams leadership and attitude is a concern, but he's so talented. I'll take him anyday over Ryan

cbarrier90
December 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM

http://ysbookreviews.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/118538817.jpg?w=263&h=263

asumike83
December 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM

A fan of The Citadel who is aware that the FCS playoffs exist. Color me impressed. xsmileyclapx

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I agree Cams leadership and attitude is a concern, but he's so talented. I'll take him anyday over Ryan

that's because you're a high school kid who can't find his *** with BOTH hands

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM

If he were a student at Citadel, he wouldn't have to. Any number of knobs would be ready and willing to find his *** for him, especially in the shower.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM
If he were a student at Citadel, he wouldn't have to. Any number of knobs would be ready and willing to find his *** for him, especially in the shower.

wouldn't you help a friend? what kind of person are you? xsmiley_wix

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
****dog WOULD be a dirty turd fan. Classless team for a classless "man."

asumike83
December 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2vkiLHiTcY

Note: Language NSFW for those in an office setting

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 11:49 AM
****dog WOULD be a dirty turd fan. Classless team for a classless "man."

it's true I have no class.

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Umm...I like kosher ladies, not kosher sausage. xlolx

Sorry pal...isn't that why you tag along with Appaholic?

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM

Hold up. I'm at lunch you're gonna make me cry in front of all my friends

CID1990
December 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Would you like to get in on the action with me and Citdog? No, I'm not talking some gay cadet orgy that you're used to. I'm talking avatar bet for the game.

Touchdown Citadel!!!

The score progression of the last three years does not suggest a walkover for the Mountaineers in Charleston in 2013. It won't be a blowout, but we are going 8-4 next year and ASU is going to be one of the 8.

If we win, I'll send you an old picture I have of your sister to put as your avatar.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Umm...I like kosher ladies, not kosher sausage. xlolx

Sorry pal...isn't that why you tag along with Appaholic?

appa's new username should be Adamantappaholic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahuKT8jMYTc

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Touchdown Citadel!!!

The score progression of the last three years does not suggest a walkover for the Mountaineers in Charleston in 2013. It won't be a blowout, but we are going 8-4 next year and ASU is going to be one of the 8.

If we win, I'll send you an old picture I have of your sister to put as your avatar.

The is no way we lose next year. No way.

It should be a high scoring affair, but you are not keeping us under 40 points. It will be a vengeful beat down.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM

It should be a high scoring affair, but you are not keeping us under 40 points. It will be a vengeful beat down.

Ursus please save this for future use.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Citadel will be good next year, they could beat App but I doubt it. I don't see ASU losing more than 1 conference game if they can stay healthy

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Ursus please save this for future use.

Please.

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Please.

And this one:

Touchdown Citadel!!!

RadioFan
December 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Wow, Mr. C. You neg-repped me for that post? You're the first person since I joined the board in 2005 that has neg-repped me. Was that necessary? Any reason you didn't just come out and say it without hiding behind a neg-rep? So much for all of the times I've had your back on AGS. I guess you showed me! xlolx What a joke!

Not only that, he was dead wrong about App State not changing up their Defense coaching. Double joke.

blueballs
December 19th, 2012, 01:23 PM
On paper App should be darned good in 2013 and on paper this is a good hire... of course you never know until toe meets leather.

Best of luck and congratulations to Coach Satterfield. It is an honor and a burden to follow an icon like Jerry Moore.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Citadel will be good next year, they could beat App but I doubt it. I don't see ASU losing more than 1 conference game if they can stay healthy

I think you'll see a tough conference race next year. The only two teams that I think will not be as good in 2013 as they were in 2012 are Elon and Wofford. Both of those teams lose their straw that stirs the drink. Every other team really had a young core and should improve.

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I think you'll see a tough conference race next year. The only two teams that I think will not be as good in 2013 as they were in 2012 are Elon and Wofford. Both of those teams lose their straw that stirs the drink. Every other team really had a young core and should improve.

Anything short of a national championship will be an underachievement for ASU. Assuming we are eligible of course.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Anything short of a national championship will be an underachievement for ASU. Assuming we are eligible of course.

Perhaps. I wouldn't get your hopes too high until App State improves its defense.

Folks have always seen ASU as an offensive team, and they are, but when they were winning championships their point differential was a lot wider than it is now.

asumike83
December 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Perhaps. I wouldn't get your hopes too high until App State improves its defense.

Folks have always seen ASU as an offensive team, and they are, but when they were winning championships their point differential was a lot wider than it is now.

No question about that. Our offense will be able to score with anybody. The question is will we stop anyone?

Relieving Dale Jones of his defensive coordinator duties while hopefully retaining him as LB coach could be a step in the right direction. When his replacement is announced, I will feel much better about our prospects next season if he implements a plan to go back to a 4-3 base defense, which our personnel is much better suited for than the 3-4 experiment.

CID1990
December 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM

OK Chattown.

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
OK Chattown.

The differences are

A) I actually have a highly touted team to back it up.
B) My logic is grounded in reality.
C) I have a penis.

citdog
December 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
The differences are

C) I have a penis.

No
No
It's just an unusually large clitoris.

Apphole
December 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
No
No
It's just an unusually large clitoris.

What do you know about clitorati? Don't jewsish girls get theirs cut off by a rabbi when they're toddlers?

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
No question about that. Our offense will be able to score with anybody. The question is will we stop anyone?

Relieving Dale Jones of his defensive coordinator duties while hopefully retaining him as LB coach could be a step in the right direction. When his replacement is announced, I will feel much better about our prospects next season if he implements a plan to go back to a 4-3 base defense, which our personnel is much better suited for than the 3-4 experiment.

Went back and looked at 2007 numbers (last year ASU won a championship), and they were averaging almost 43 points per game, and giving up around 27 points per game. Championship caliber teams, in my opinion, are generally at least in that 15-20 point differential range (GSU and Wofford were both about 12 this year). App was about in the 3 point range this season.

If that does not tell you the SoCon is better, I don't know what does. In 2007 ASU was second in scoring defense and still giving up almost 30 points per game.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
If Citadel loses citdog makes Ulysses S Grant his avatar for a month. He's sweatin now

http://youtu.be/dLXb9bYagIk

Popped a Molly I'm sweatin WHOOOOOO

T-Dog
December 20th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Went back and looked at 2007 numbers (last year ASU won a championship), and they were averaging almost 43 points per game, and giving up around 27 points per game. Championship caliber teams, in my opinion, are generally at least in that 15-20 point differential range (GSU and Wofford were both about 12 this year). App was about in the 3 point range this season.

If that does not tell you the SoCon is better, I don't know what does. In 2007 ASU was second in scoring defense and still giving up almost 30 points per game.

We had a habit this year of being in close games. A lot of raw talent but not much experience.

In 2007 John Wiley was the DC. He had his flaws, but he knew how to adjust in game and the defense was a takeaway defense. They gave up yards, but they made big plays when it counted.

Dale Jones had his good days, such as the blitz-all-day gameplan against BJ Coleman in 2011, but he was benefitted from some tremendous players during that time. He had to deal with lack of depth this year, but it could have been so much better. He knows how to coach LB's, but every other defensive position was nowhere near their potential. This was a defense who gave up yards and points, not a good combo.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 07:09 AM

How about starting with winning a playoff game?

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2012, 07:24 AM
We had a habit this year of being in close games. A lot of raw talent but not much experience.

In 2007 John Wiley was the DC. He had his flaws, but he knew how to adjust in game and the defense was a takeaway defense. They gave up yards, but they made big plays when it counted.

Dale Jones had his good days, such as the blitz-all-day gameplan against BJ Coleman in 2011, but he was benefitted from some tremendous players during that time. He had to deal with lack of depth this year, but it could have been so much better. He knows how to coach LB's, but every other defensive position was nowhere near their potential. This was a defense who gave up yards and points, not a good combo.

I always equated that 2007 team with the 2009 New Orleans Saints. They knew their offense was good for point totals in the high 30s or low 40s every game, so their defense could afford to take a few more chances and play more aggressively. Essentially, the defense knew that if it forced a turnover or a couple of punts, their opponent would not be able to keep up with the scoring barrage on offense.

2013 will be an interesting year for the App defense. New coaching staff trying to reinvent a defense that did not play to the level of the offense. Even though ASU is young, they do lose a lot of their best talent off that defense to graduation. Not a lot of seniors on the team, but the defense had a couple of good senior starters that need to be replaced.

boonedocks
December 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Haha, burn...oh wait, damn.

We beat Western Illinois a few years ago in the blizzard! So there.

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Haha, burn...oh wait, damn.

We beat Western Illinois a few years ago in the blizzard! So there.

And just an extra point away from another victory, Im sure Georgia Southern cant relate...

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM

31-28

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM

You forget that Chatty is drinking from a cracked glass, and Western from a sippy cup.

It will come down to the same 3 games it does every year. Two of which this year are played in KBS.

walliver
December 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
You forget that Chatty is drinking from a cracked glass, and Western from a sippy cup.

It will come down to the same 3 games it does every year. Two of which this year are played in KBS.

You play GSU in Boone, but what is the other big game at KBS? Your other 3 home SoCon games are Chatty, Samford and Western.

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
You play GSU in Boone, but what is the other big game at KBS? Your other 3 home SoCon games are Chatty, Samford and Western.

I would expect Sammy to be the toughest of those three.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM
31-28

0-3 in the playoffs the last 3 years

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM

2-0 against the Stink over the last two years. Will certainly be 3-0 after Black Saturday 2013.

We could do this all day xlolx

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM

2 for 3 against a GSU semi final team though, arent we?

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Yea, my mistake.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 12:23 PM
2-0 against the Stink over the last two years. Will certainly be 3-0 after Black Saturday 2013.

We could do this all day xlolx

So wins over us are more important than playoff wins.

Glad to know we're your personal championship game. :)

Saint3333
December 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I always equated that 2007 team with the 2009 New Orleans Saints. They knew their offense was good for point totals in the high 30s or low 40s every game, so their defense could afford to take a few more chances and play more aggressively. Essentially, the defense knew that if it forced a turnover or a couple of punts, their opponent would not be able to keep up with the scoring barrage on offense.

2013 will be an interesting year for the App defense. New coaching staff trying to reinvent a defense that did not play to the level of the offense. Even though ASU is young, they do lose a lot of their best talent off that defense to graduation. Not a lot of seniors on the team, but the defense had a couple of good senior starters that need to be replaced.

The defensive line will be better as they will a year older and stronger. The secondary will be better if Blackmon and Middleton are healthy. Replacing two linebackers will be the key. App has some good young talent that didn't get a chance on the field due to the senior leaders. John Law is a guy that will make an impact at LB next year. The defense should be better and if Jamal can stay healthy the offense should be at 2007 or 2008 levels.

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM
So wins over us are more important than playoff wins.

Glad to know we're your personal championship game. :)

Nope. Just pointing out that Southern fans gloating over other teams doing something that Georgia Southern cant isnt really worth much.

Gloating rights are won on the field, and for 2 straight years, App's been your daddy.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Just pointing out that Southern fans gloating over other teams doing something that Georgia Southern cant isnt really worth much.

Not sure I'm following.

In the past 3 years, we've won more playoff games than you've even been in. So what is it I'm gloating about that we can't do?

Apphole said anything less than a national championship was an underachievement. Looks like what he really meant was beating Georgia Southern, cause you don't seem concerned that you're way behind us in terms of what it takes to be a contender.

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Not sure I'm following.

In the past 3 years, we've won more playoff games than you've even been in. So what is it I'm gloating about that we can't do?

He meant gloating about other teams beating App when GSU can't do it themselves.

Of course, the point is moot because we all know the refs beat GSU.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
He meant gloating about other teams beating App when GSU can't do it themselves.

Of course, the point is moot because we all know the refs beat GSU.

I'm talking about national championships and so was the poster in the original post I quoted.

I guess it's too much for me to expect you guys to know what I'm talking about though, you have to be an annual title contender to really understand.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
The defensive line will be better as they will a year older and stronger. The secondary will be better if Blackmon and Middleton are healthy. Replacing two linebackers will be the key. App has some good young talent that didn't get a chance on the field due to the senior leaders. John Law is a guy that will make an impact at LB next year. The defense should be better and if Jamal can stay healthy the offense should be at 2007 or 2008 levels.

I guess we'll have to see. Jackson is not Armanti Edwards. Defense should improve, but it is never easy to replace long-time senior starters regardless of how talented the backups may be. Don't know what you'll get until you put them in game situations.

AppAlum2003
December 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I'm talking about national championships and so was the poster in the original post I quoted.

I guess it's too much for me to expect you guys to know what I'm talking about though, you have to be an annual title contender to really understand.

Wow, really? Didn't you guys just start making the freakin' playoffs again like 2 years ago?

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM

GSU was a contender in 2011?

I didnt think "contenders" got blown out in the playoffs.

2010 didnt really end in impressive fashion either.

GSU is 3 years removed from a 5-6 record. Over a decade removed from a NC.

App hasnt missed the playoffs in 8 years, and is only 5 years removed from the ultimate goal, a goal that GSU hasnt reached in a decade.

Call me when you actually win a semi final or NC game.

Did they shape GSU's 6 NC with stone tools? Or was it the bronze age, I cant remember.

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Maybe you aren't aware that you responded to two different posters, one of whom made no mention of a national championship. He pointed out that you were gloating about other teams beating App when GSU has not been able to do it themselves.

An 'annual title contender' who hasn't played in a title game since your graduating seniors were 8. Got it.

AppIAA
December 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Your current players weren't even out of elementary school the last time you guys won a championship.. Are you really trying to bring that to the table?

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Not sure I'm following.

Apphole said anything less than a national championship was an underachievement. Looks like what he really meant was beating Georgia Southern, cause you don't seem concerned that you're way behind us in terms of what it takes to be a contender.

I'm saying, with the incredible offense we will be sporting next year and an improved defense, I'd be disappointed without a NC. It has nothing to do with Georgia Southern. That garbage started with a snarky response about it from you. That's why I reminded you who your SoCon daddy was.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm saying, with the incredible offense we will be sporting next year and an improved defense, I'd be disappointed without a NC. It has nothing to do with Georgia Southern. That garbage started with a snarky response about it from you. That's why I reminded you who your SoCon daddy was.

So I should be impressed?

We're back to back Socon Champs along with having 7 playoff victories in the last 3 years. To say that the result of the App game is anywhere on my radar is incorrect. I'm glad it's such a big deal to you though.

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM

We're back to back Socon Champs along with having 7 playoff victories in the last 3 years. To say that the result of the App game is anywhere on my radar is incorrect. I'm glad it's such a big deal to you though.

What the hell is your point? We've won 7 of the last 8 SoCon championships. Both teams are decorated. Don't dilute yourself into thinking the Stink game is the only one I care about. I'm talking about it now only because you decided to troll the thread. The head to head record speaks for itself.

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Well, this is only your sixth post in this App thread today. Clearly, you have bigger fish to fry.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Maybe you aren't aware that you responded to two different posters, one of whom made no mention of a national championship.

I'm fully aware. He decided to get involved, I merely pointed out the error in his logic.

Man you App guys are easy to spool up. I seem to remember a time a while back when you guys were more concerned about winning titles than beating us. My how times can change.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Well, this is only your sixth post in this App thread today. Clearly, you have bigger fish to fry.

More like I'm bored at work and you guys are providing my amusement.

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM

If you've got so much free time, maybe you can buddy up with Russell after losses to keep him out of jail?

AppIAA
December 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Not enough people ordering fries today in Stinksboro?

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM
What the hell is your point? We've won 7 of the last 8 SoCon championships. Both teams are decorated. Don't dilute yourself into thinking the Stink game is the only one I care about. I'm talking about it now only because you decided to troll the thread. The head to head record speaks for itself.

For a team that has failed to win a playoff game since 2009, don't you think there's a hump you should get over before you start saying not winning a championship is a disappointment?

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Not enough people ordering fries today in Stinksboro?

When you can't win an argument, insult a person's employment. Yep, seems like I've struck a nerve :)

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I seem to remember a time a while back when you guys were more concerned about winning titles than beating us. My how times can change.

On the contrary. Getting back to winning championships is the only concern. 4-1 against GSU since the last title, we've got that part down.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
If you've got so much free time, maybe you can buddy up with Russell after losses to keep him out of jail?

Something tells me I'd lose that fight.

AppIAA
December 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
When you can't win an argument, insult a person's employment. Yep, seems like I've struck a nerve :)

I was never in an argument and no nerve struck. You are the one talking about how you're a national contender when you haven't even been to a title game since your players were in elementary school (the incoming class were pre-school/kindergarten) on a thread talking about our new coach.. But somehow, you are always on our minds... hmmmm

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
For a team that has failed to win a playoff game since 2009, don't you think there's a hump you should get over before you start saying not winning a championship is a disappointment?

We didn't even make the playoffs in 2004, the year before our first NC in the three peat.

You don't have to build to it, you just have to be the better team on the field four times in a row. We will be sporting one of the best FCS offenses to ever take the field next year and I think we have a very good shot at a NC. Not making it there would be an underachievement IMO.

Now, please run off and man the drive through. The customers are growing impatient.

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM
"You guys suck! You haven't won a playoff game since 2010 or a title since 2007! Hail Southern!"

"Yeah, we've won 4 of the last 5 and 6 of the last 8 against GSU. Plus, you haven't won a title since 2000."

"Why are you so obsessed with GSU?"

Good stuff, keep 'em coming!

xpopcornx

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
We didn't even make the playoffs in 2004, the year before our first NC in the three peat.

You don't have to build to it, you just have to be the better team on the field four times in a row. We will be sporting one of the best FCS offenses to ever take the field next year and I think we have a very good shot at a NC. Not making it there would be an underachievement IMO.

Now, please run off and man the drive through. The customers are growing impatient.

I've seen the performance you've had in the playoffs outside of the threepeat. It's not that impressive. You had a strong core group of players that came through and a lot of good coaches on both sides of the ball there. I'm not sure you're at that same level now. I also think you've had better offenses, so I think saying one of the best ever is a big stretch. You need a stronger running threat to rival your offenses from 2006-2008 that actually worried me. Your defense is going to have to make HUGE strides to go further in the playoffs and won't be able to rely on your offense outscoring everyone. ODU had one of the best passing attacks I've ever seen but couldn't stop anyone, and that was a fatal mistake.

I didn't even consider us that good of a team this year and we made the semi's. I'm expecting more next year. I look forward to Black Saturday, I don't think the results will be to your liking.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2012, 02:26 PM
"You guys suck! You haven't won a playoff game since 2010 or a title since 2007! Hail Southern!"

"Yeah, we've won 4 of the last 5 and 6 of the last 8 against GSU. Plus, you haven't won a title since 2000."

"Why are you so obsessed with GSU?"

Good stuff, keep 'em coming!

xpopcornx

Last offseason had too much lovey dovey stuff between App and Georgia Southern fans. I'm doing my part to stoke the fires of hate.

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Last offseason had too much lovey dovey stuff between App and Georgia Southern fans. I'm doing my part to stoke the fires of hate.

I will always unite with Stink fans against the cascade of ignorant bull **** that spews from the 13 UNCc fans that exist.

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM

Touché. There will be no bro hugs!

chattownmocs
December 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
What's the real story here? Did Satterfield stab Ole Jerry in the back?

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
What's the real story here? Did Satterfield stab Ole Jerry in the back?

Yes. Satterfield was mad at Jerry for throttling back the offense, otherwise he'd have put up 60 on the Mocs instead of the actual 34-17 blowout.

chattownmocs
December 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes. Satterfield was mad at Jerry for throttling back the offense, otherwise he'd have put up 60 on the Mocs instead of the actual 34-17 blowout.

Yeah that's why they had 10 points in the first 3 quarters. Because the offense was "throttled" back. Huesman will own this guy.

AppChicago
December 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah that's why they had 10 points in the first 3 quarters. Because the offense was "throttled" back. Huesman will own this guy.

Given your track record, that prediction is MONEY IN THE BANK, no?

GlassOnion
December 20th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hey, some of us App fans got a nice sig. off of him last year, let him write some more.

You know its the offseason when Chattown is talkin crap, just like you'll know its post App game when he's gone.

Twentysix
December 20th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hey, some of us App fans got a nice sig. off of him last year, let him write some more.

You know its the offseason when Chattown is talkin crap, just like you'll know its post App game when he's gone.

Now now, only quitters and babys don't acknowledge the championship game. Take your offseason talk to crapsville.

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Now now, only quitters and babys don't acknowledge the championship game. Take your offseason talk to crapsville.

I saw that game last year. xcoffeex

This thread is about Appalachian State, therefore, we are talking about Appalachian State.

asumike83
December 20th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah that's why they had 10 points in the first 3 quarters.

"The First 3 Quarters: The Russ Huesman Story"

cbarrier90
December 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
"The First 3 Quarters: The Russ Huesman Story"

Closing the Deal: The OFFICIAL Russ Huesman Biography

Apphole
December 20th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Losing to Appalachian State for Dummies, by every UTC since the 70's.

citdog
December 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Orange With Envy: A Brief History of College Football in Tennessee

cbarrier90
December 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Losing to Appalachian State for Dummies, by every UTC since the 70's.

Life is "Just Awesome!": The Jerry Moore Story

cbarrier90
December 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Orange With Envy: A Brief History of College Football in Tennessee

I like where this thread is going...

AppAlum2003
December 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I like where this thread is going...

This Rep's For You: An AppAlum2003 Biography

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I just realized that since Georgia Southern last won a title, Furman has appeared in more finals games than the Eagles.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I guess we'll have to see. Jackson is not Armanti Edwards. Defense should improve, but it is never easy to replace long-time senior starters regardless of how talented the backups may be. Don't know what you'll get until you put them in game situations.

You're right he's more like Richie Williams but with a stronger arm. App should average as many ppg and will give up 5 less ppg mostly due to an improved secondary.

citdog
December 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
You're right he's more like Richie Williams but with a stronger arm. App should average as many ppg and will give up 5 less ppg mostly due to an improved secondary.

so 47-28 Cadets in Genl Hagood's House sound about right then?

seantaylor
December 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I just realized that since Georgia Southern last won a title, Furman has appeared in more finals games than the Eagles.

Furman is one of the three worst programs in the Socon now. Congrats

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2012, 05:35 AM
Furman is one of the three worst programs in the Socon now. Congrats

We endured a 3-8 season just like Georgia Southern did a few years ago. Sometimes you have to go down before you can go up. Only difference is Furman has to rebuild without the crutch of the country's best player.

Furman had a bad record, but they are not a terrible program. They aren't Western (no offense, Western). They lost four games to playoff teams, and three of those games were decided by fewer than 5 points.

Saint3333
December 21st, 2012, 06:21 AM
so 47-28 Cadets in Genl Hagood's House sound about right then?

If you're the first triple option team we see next year it may be a close game, if you're not App wins by two TDs.

CID1990
December 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
If you're the first triple option team we see next year it may be a close game, if you're not App wins by two TDs.

That's pretty optimistic considering ASU's last two trips to Charleston.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM

Not sure why you come to that conclusion. ASU played three triple option teams in 2012. They lost to two of them by double digits (at home) and gave up an average of nearly 400 yards per game on the ground.

At least based on 2012's performance, the order in which the teams played really didn't make much of a difference. App did fare better the third time they faced the offense (though you could argue if GSU had a decent kicker they would have lost that one too).

asumike83
December 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
Not sure why you come to that conclusion. ASU played three triple option teams in 2012. They lost to two of them by double digits (at home) and gave up an average of nearly 400 yards per game on the ground.

At least based on 2012's performance, the order in which the teams played really didn't make much of a difference. App did fare better the third time they faced the offense (though you could argue if GSU had a decent kicker they would have lost that one too).

If we revert back to the 4-3 next season, which I fully expect based on our personnel, our defense should be significantly improved. Plus, we won't have a free safety with a 'Kick Me' sign on his back.

Doesn't necessarily mean we will suddenly be dominant against the option, but I think we will be good enough to win 2 of our 3 option games.

Saint3333
December 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM

Please fill free to save my post and I'll gladly eat crow next season. The defense will be improved. The last time App played that many under classmen was 2004. The 2005 defense was vastly improved. They may not be that good, but they will be better.

asu3peat
December 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Not sure how App fans can believe the defense will be better after losing it's leading tackler in Kimbrough. If it weren't for him, the TO teams would have rolled up even more yardage and quite possibly more points. He and Grier were both good tacklers and Sanders did a good job of coming to the LOS to help keep the run in check. <sarc> McCray was a pretty decent tackler on the outside for a CB. The way our fanbase pooh poohs Blaylock and wants him replaced, that's 5 experienced positions that need to be filled. Unless the new DC and DL coach can work miracles, I don't see this defense improving by leaps and bounds.

Yes I know Law will most likely replace JK and McGowan is coming in with some experience but I am not putting them in the same league as BG and JK just yet. I am excited to see what Blackmon can do and I hope he lives up to the hype. Middleton has shown he can be force and since he's from my dad's former high school, he's one of my favorite players.

Returning all the DL will help and seeing so many underclassmen in the secondary get some PT due to injury, illness or suspensions gives me some comfort but I'm definitely not ready to annoint the defense as being improved until I see the results. Fans have been saying how good the defense is going to be for the past 4-5 years and the D has not lived up to the expectations.

cbarrier90
December 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Fans have been saying how good the defense is going to be for the past 4-5 years and the D has not lived up to the expectations.

Health and suspensions have not been kind to us in the past 4-5 years. The three players that were dismissed would have made a huge difference last season. It's also due to coaching. That's why Dale Jones is getting demoted.

chattownmocs
December 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Will App State be able to recruit as well as they did under Jerry? Particularly on defense?

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM
so far Saterfield has done a really good job recruiting, he landed a 3 star defensive back, and another defensive back that your own head coach thought so much of, he went back to his house after he committed to App and tried to change his mind. Regardless of my opinion of Huier as a headcoach, I think he is one of the best defensive minds in the FCS, and for him to make that much effort to land a kid that had already committed to App tells me we are getting a very good player

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Please fill free to save my post and I'll gladly eat crow next season. The defense will be improved. The last time App played that many under classmen was 2004. The 2005 defense was vastly improved. They may not be that good, but they will be better.

I don't have time or energy to save posts. My general feeling is that if you take a position you should have a reason for it. If the reason is "because I said so," then that's what it is.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2012, 12:04 PM
Will App State be able to recruit as well as they did under Jerry? Particularly on defense?

Probably the single biggest question relating to the SoCon this offseason.

GlassOnion
December 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
I don't have time or energy to save posts. My general feeling is that if you take a position you should have a reason for it. If the reason is "because I said so," then that's what it is.

The reasons:

App returns entire receiving corp, including TE, and adds 2 RS WR and a RS TE that was one of the best receiving TEs I've ever seen in HS.
App returns Payton Finalist Jamal Jackson, who played injured for half of 2011, and should be healthy.
App returns entire OL with another years' experience, gets 3 OL back that went out injured, and adds 3 RS. They also get the benefit of having an OL coach in place.
App will bring in highly recruited RB that was redshirted.

App returns entire DL and backups, and adds 3 star RS DT.
App returns Robinson at bandit, and a # of LBs that didnt see the field because of All-American Kimbrough and AA Honorable mention Grier, and App has a history of reloading at LB, with NFL calibre players. John Law a former Cincinnati commit and RS Fr will likely be a starter.
The DB, App returns Jamill Lott at CB, a junior that performed surprisingly well in his first year CB. App will also return 3 DBs that went out in 2011 to season ending injury, including Middleton, 2nd fastest player on the team, 3 star and RS fr slated to start in 2011 Dante Blackmon. They add 3 star CB commit Anthony Covington, who will enroll at App in January.

App will also see its DC coach LBs once again, and a new DC brought in.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM
The reasons:

App returns entire receiving corp, including TE, and adds 2 RS WR and a RS TE that was one of the best receiving TEs I've ever seen in HS.
App returns Payton Finalist Jamal Jackson, who played injured for half of 2011, and should be healthy.
App returns entire OL with another years' experience, gets 3 OL back that went out injured, and adds 3 RS. They also get the benefit of having an OL coach in place.
App will bring in highly recruited RB that was redshirted.

App returns entire DL and backups, and adds 3 star RS DT.
App returns Robinson at bandit, and a # of LBs that didnt see the field because of All-American Kimbrough and AA Honorable mention Grier, and App has a history of reloading at LB, with NFL calibre players. John Law a former Cincinnati commit and RS Fr will likely be a starter.
The DB, App returns Jamill Lott at CB, a junior that performed surprisingly well in his first year CB. App will also return 3 DBs that went out in 2011 to season ending injury, including Middleton, 2nd fastest player on the team, 3 star and RS fr slated to start in 2011 Dante Blackmon. They add 3 star CB commit Anthony Covington, who will enroll at App in January.

App will also see its DC coach LBs once again, and a new DC brought in.

As I understand your point, App will return the same defense that was run out of the stadium by Wofford and the Citadel, minus their best defensive players. They will then move their defensive coordinator to linebackers coach (a position he was already coaching). A troop of "starred" recruits will then get more time on the field, and that will guarantee a two touchdown win in Charleston.

I do not get out of my chair for "stars" on a recruit. Citdog can correct me, but I'd be surprised if there is a single two star recruit on the Bulldog roster, and I'd be floored if there was a three star recruit. That did not keep the Bulldogs from running up, over, and around the App defense all afternoon. Our neighborhood Samford fan refers to that as "looking like Tarzan, playing like Jane."

SpeedkingATL
December 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
No one can predict this time of year exactly how good or improved any team will be....if so Southern Cal would be playing for the National Championship instead of being a mid-pack Pac12 team. App fans are optomistic that a change at DC will make at least as much difference as the change in OC made this year. Hopefully the vanilla defense that couldn't decide if it was a 3-4 or a 4-3 will be less predictable and more agressive and effective than this year's unit and make better use of the talent available. Time will tell.

GlassOnion
December 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM
As I understand your point, App will return the same defense that was run out of the stadium by Wofford and the Citadel, minus their best defensive players. They will then move their defensive coordinator to linebackers coach (a position he was already coaching). A troop of "starred" recruits will then get more time on the field, and that will guarantee a two touchdown win in Charleston.

I do not get out of my chair for "stars" on a recruit. Citdog can correct me, but I'd be surprised if there is a single two star recruit on the Bulldog roster, and I'd be floored if there was a three star recruit. That did not keep the Bulldogs from running up, over, and around the App defense all afternoon. Our neighborhood Samford fan refers to that as "looking like Tarzan, playing like Jane."

The App defense was severely depleted by injuries, and App lost 4 starters to off field problems over last years offseason. Yes there was lack of consistency. If you watch the Illinois St game, you'd see the same DB was burned over and over and over again for TDs. And that is not an over exageration. He shouldnt have been on the field. Plugging that hole alone will be a massive improvement. There were 2 opposing coaches that actually talked about exploiting 1 particular DB in their post game, and Im 100% sure theyre not the only ones that planned it that way.

As for App's "starred" recruits, these are not rated guys out of HS. These are RS guys that have been up the mountain for a year already, and been evaluated by our coaching staff on the scout team, and hitting the weights, and the coaches are excited about them. Many werent redshirted until the last possible moment. The 3 Star CB had already won the starting job in preseason before going down injured. John Law was backing up Kimbrough, before being RS after an injury. 6'3 210 safety Alex Grey was also RS after preseason injury. Our preseason starting NT had a knee injury all year, ended up only being able to contribut enough minutes to backup the other DT, and will have surgury in the offseason.

As for the Citadel game, alot of things went wrong. And it didnt help that record breaking Sean Price and starting Cb Jamil Lott were suspended either.

Its also pretty boneheaded for you to argue a case so strongly, in which you are not really that educated.

Saint3333
December 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM

I supported my post with the post before that one go back and review it. App had the 90th best defense yardage wise this year, they WILL be better.

App has six verbals all of which have FBS offers. Recruiting is going well.

citdog
December 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM
I supported my post with the post before that one go back and review it. App had the 90th best defense yardage wise this year, they WILL be better.

App has six verbals all of which have FBS offers. Recruiting is going well.

http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/iraqiinformationminister.jpg?w=450

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2012, 07:28 AM
7 out of the last 8, your SoCon champs, kiss the ring Citdog.

CID1990
December 22nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hey are the 9000 actual true ASU fans going to come to Charleston next season? That would be cool.

Horseshoe App
December 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hey are the 9000 actual true ASU fans going to come to Charleston next season? That would be cool.

You forgot to say Touchdown Citadel:) Are you losing your edge? In all seriousness,why do you continue to crow about one win against Appalachian? Yes, you beat us, but if we crowed like some of you guys have about beating The Citadel, we would be doing this 90% of the time. Congratulations on the win though:(

SpeedkingATL
December 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM

Yes, I'll be making my bi-annual trip to play golf at Wild Dunes and attend the bi-annual App's Bellhop Beatdown. One of my favorite trips!

asumike83
December 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM

We'll be there, don't you worry. I never miss a chance to visit Charleston or see my Mountaineers play. I'll be there in a few months to root on the diamond Apps as well!

asumike83
December 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM

Not quite that simple. Dale Jones is a top-notch position coach and a sub par coordinator. Allowing him to focus on his specialty and let someone else call the shots will make a difference. We have ideal 4-3 personnel and ran a 3-4 all season. If we make the obvious change, it will really play to our strengths.

These are not just "starred recruits" in the secondary. These are two kids that earned a starting job this season. One went down in camp right before the season began, the other went down in the season opener. Blalock played his heart out but he is not a DI starter, he is a walk-on special teams ace that was forced into duty by injury. We will miss McCray but barring more injuries, our secondary will be stronger overall.

We return everyone on the defensive line, many of whom were freshmen this year getting acclimated to the college game. We also add depth there with a couple kids we redshirted this season, along with getting a completely healthy Thomas Bronson who played all season in a knee brace.

The biggest question is at linebacker. Kimbrough and Grier are some huge shoes to fill. That is the largest concern but it is a position we have consistently recruited and developed very well over the last decade. Based on the talent we have there, it seems likely to continue. College teams have to replace good players every year and there is always a chance for disappointment but expectations of defensive improvement at ASU are not unfounded.

citdog
December 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
who will be the Socon Champs in 2013?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH516F1IEx0

seantaylor
December 23rd, 2012, 02:03 AM
Won't be El Chit. An epic beating coming in the Boro.

cbarrier90
December 23rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
who will be the Socon Champs in 2013?

8-way tie at 4-4. Western gets the auto-bid. No at-large bids.

citdog
December 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM

23-21

ASU_Fanatic
December 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
8-way tie at 4-4. Western gets the auto-bid. No at-large bids.

That's what I was thinking

Apphole
December 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
AAAAAAPPP!!!!!!!

CID1990
December 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM

Like the epic beating in the Stink two years ago?

I am picking that game as one if our losses next year, but you and the ASU fans are deluding yourselves with all these fantasies of revenge beatdowns.

chattownmocs
December 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM
How bad of a move was it to axe Jerry one year before he wanted to quit. Man. They better hope they get to FBS or they are going to look foolish.They have left themselves with 0 margin for error. They don't win the national title within the first few years. .....Go a couple years without winning the socon....Miss the playoffs one time.....lose a game their fans think they shouldnt ...hot seat. The ghost of Jerry will haunt this program for years.

cbarrier90
December 24th, 2012, 10:59 PM
How bad of a move was it to axe Jerry one year before he wanted to quit. Man. They better hope they get to FBS or they are going to look foolish.They have left themselves with 0 margin for error. They don't win the national title within the first few years. .....Go a couple years without winning the socon....Miss the playoffs one time.....lose a game their fans think they shouldnt ...hot seat. The ghost of Jerry will haunt this program for years.

Florida State's final 5 years under Bobby Bowden (some wins eventually vacated):

2005: 8-5
2006: 7-6
2007: 7-6
2008: 9-4
2009: 7-6

Florida State's first 3 years under Jimbo Fisher:

2010: 10-4
2011: 9-4
2012: 11-2

Your posts continue to amaze me for all the wrong reasons. And to think, you had all this time away from the board after a young, battered ASU squad whipped you on your own field and ended up costing you a share of the SoCon and a playoff spot...

chattownmocs
December 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Jerry Moores results over the last several years are far better than Bowdens were at the end of his career. Thus leaving the decision makers at app state and Satterfield much less margin for error.

ASUMountaineer
December 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM

I've never felt better with the move to Satterfield as head coach. If chattown thinks it's a bad move, then we know the ASU administration made the right move. Kudos to ASU!

App State is our daddy.

asumike83
December 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Jerry Moores results over the last several years are far better than Bowdens were at the end of his career. Thus leaving the decision makers at app state and Satterfield much less margin for error.

I actually do agree with this statement.

While I think the right decision was made for our football program, Scott Satterfield has a small margin for error and will expected to win big from day one. The postseason results have not been there the past few years under Jerry Moore but generally speaking, 8 wins is nothing to sneeze at and our fans will expect improvement.

Having said that, I think Coach Satt will take care of business.

walliver
December 26th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I actually do agree with this statement.

While I think the right decision was made for our football program, Scott Satterfield has a small margin for error and will expected to win big from day one. The postseason results have not been there the past few years under Jerry Moore but generally speaking, 8 wins is nothing to sneeze at and our fans will expect improvement.

Having said that, I think Coach Satt will take care of business.

IF ASU announces a FBS move this winter/spring, Satterfield may not have an opportunity to prove himself. ASU would not be eligible for the playoffs (this depends on the timing of a move) and the only real improvement would be an outright SoCon title. Not winning a SoCon title would be a letdown, and I would rank Georgia Southern as the early favorite at this time. As the transition begins, the losses will increase and the wins decrease. Knowledgable fans will cut him some slack, but some fans will turn against him. 8 win seasons will be the exception, not the rule, at the FBS level, especially in the first 4-5 years.

If ASU stays put for several years, Satterfield will need to win a national championship in the next 3 years or so, or people will turn against him

cbarrier90
December 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
8 win seasons will be the exception, not the rule, at the FBS level, especially in the first 4-5 years.

Never understood this "certainty," especially given a time frame where an entire recruiting class is FBS caliber. This is the Sun Belt we're talking about, not the SEC. I'm not expecting Boise out of the gate, but I don't expect as bad a struggle as WKU, and even they have turned it around.

If ASU stays put for several years, Satterfield will need to win a national championship in the next 3 years or so, or people will turn against him

Yet many think ASU gave Jerry Moore a raw deal by letting him go after losing in the second round of the playoffs at home for the third straight season. I want two things out of Scott Satterfield: A defense that at the very least doesn't force the offense to score in the 30s every game to have a chance to win, and no let-downs after big, emotional victories which have become a staple these last few years in addition to home playoff exits.

PaladinFan
December 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Never understood this "certainty," especially given a time frame where an entire recruiting class is FBS caliber. This is the Sun Belt we're talking about, not the SEC. I'm not expecting Boise out of the gate, but I don't expect as bad a struggle as WKU, and even they have turned it around.

Yet many think ASU gave Jerry Moore a raw deal by letting him go after losing in the second round of the playoffs at home for the third straight season. I want two things out of Scott Satterfield: A defense that at the very least doesn't force the offense to score in the 30s every game to have a chance to win, and no let-downs after big, emotional victories which have become a staple these last few years in addition to home playoff exits.

I agree with Walliver. Eight wins will not be the norm. Look at UL-Lafayette (which I consider a pretty good football team). They went 16 years between winning seasons.

I think that is the type road App State (or anyone moving up) needs to prepare for. I think folks are prepared for a couple of down years, but the question is this - what will the fan base look like after 15 years of losing seasons? There are plenty of schools (many of which are much larger universities in football rich states located in much bigger cities), that have endured years and years of poor football.

At the end of the day, no one knows what will happen. I just equate it to a came of cards. If you never bet big, you'll never win big. However, if you never bet big, you'll not lose big either.

walliver
December 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Never understood this "certainty," especially given a time frame where an entire recruiting class is FBS caliber. This is the Sun Belt we're talking about, not the SEC. I'm not expecting Boise out of the gate, but I don't expect as bad a struggle as WKU, and even they have turned it around...

App hasn't beaten a FBS opponent since Michigan.

In the Sun Belt, App would play at least 11 FBS games every year, with a probable home game against a Big South school. OOC games would probably be SEC and ACC money games mixed with games against Marshall and ECU. How many SunBelt teams routinely win 8 games year in and year out? Why do you assume ASU would be any different? How well would the 2012 ASU team fare in the SunBelt (at least you would have the win over GSU)?

With a move to the SunBelt, you will be recruiting for lower echelon FBS players. Very few, if any, high school superstars will pick ASU over the SEC or non-Duke-or-Wake ACC shools.

Very few move-ups have immediate success (Marshall being the exception, but that success was short-lived). Any successful coach in the SunBelt will quickly be scooped up by a richer program.

App may quickly be competitive in the SunBelt, but 8 win seasons will not be the norm.

I also hope Appy has higher moral standards than WKU when hiring coaches.

GlassOnion
December 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
App hasn't beaten a FBS opponent since Michigan.

App doesnt usually play mid tier FBS teams. ECU was one of the best CUSA teams, and CUSA champs and both of App's games with them came down to the 4th quarter, with the difference mainly being depth.

As far as not winning against LSU, or Florida, what the hell do you expect?

cbarrier90
December 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
With a move to the SunBelt, you will be recruiting for lower echelon FBS players. Very few, if any, high school superstars will pick ASU over the SEC or non-Duke-or-Wake ACC shools.

And we're getting high school superstars in the SoCon?

We're already losing recruits to those lower echelon FBS players because we aren't "D1." Alot of kids want to play college football at the highest level possible, and if it comes down to UNCC or App (and it has for many kids, especially in NC) they're going to choose UNCC because they are FBS. In the eyes of a collegiate athlete, playing at an FBS school is a ticket into the NFL.

Any successful coach in the FCS is going to be scooped up by an FBS school. Trent Miles left a program he turned around in Indiana State, his ALMA MATER, to go to Georgia State.

GEORGIA STATE was a more attractive opportunity than a solid program in the best FCS conference...

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM

We're already losing recruits to those lower echelon FBS players because we aren't "D1." Alot of kids want to play college football at the highest level possible, and if it comes down to UNCC or App (and it has for many kids, especially in NC) they're going to choose UNCC because they are FBS. In the eyes of a collegiate athlete, playing at an FBS school is a ticket into the NFL.

Any successful coach in the FCS is going to be scooped up by an FBS school. Trent Miles left a program he turned around in Indiana State, his ALMA MATER, to go to Georgia State.

GEORGIA STATE was a more attractive opportunity than a solid program in the best FCS conference...

How many FBS transfers does App have on their roster currently?

GlassOnion
December 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
How many FBS transfers does App have on their roster currently?

WR Tacoi Sumler, Oregon
OL Alex Coulthard, UNC
A punter from Marshall, dont remember which one.

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
None.

Really? That's pretty impressive, as it seems most schools take one or two on.

That does bode well for App recruiting at a higher level, if they ever get the invite.

GlassOnion
December 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Really? That's pretty impressive, as it seems most schools take one or two on.

That does bode well for App recruiting at a higher level, if they ever get the invite.

Wait, Changed it. They changed the GoAsu roster, doesnt show previous school anymore. At first I thought maybe the few we did have graduated. There are a few Juco also, 5 I think.

TheRevSFA
December 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Wait, Changed it. They changed Goasu roster, doesnt show previous school anymore.

Ah.

My point was..had you guys accepted some FBS transfers you are going to lose that benefit and for some schools that has paid huge dividends...however I still think if you get to move up, you can still recruit well enough.

GlassOnion
December 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Ah.

My point was..had you guys accepted some FBS transfers you are going to lose that benefit and for some schools that has paid huge dividends...however I still think if you get to move up, you can still recruit well enough.

We'll get better Juco's as FBS, have an initial influx of FBS transfers if we so wish as we make the jump, and then be where all other FBS schools are. None of the three started this past year, unless the PK Drew Stewart is the guy from Marshall, but he was benched halfway through the season for several misses and Sam Martin P took over his PK duties.

PaladinFan
December 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I don't know if I entirely buy that. It has always been my opinion that recruits choose their universities based on a number of factors. That factor may be an FBS opportunities, but it could be playing time, academics, campus, whatever. App State has lost players to FBS schools and FCS for different reasons. That will not change regardless.

ASU_Fanatic
December 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
App fans, if you want the cold, hard truth most recruits are gonna pick UNCC over App now even if we do jump FBS. I'll let you guys figure out why.

Apphole
December 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM
App fans, if you want the cold, hard truth most recruits are gonna pick UNCC over App now even if we do jump FBS. I'll let you guys figure out why.

I know you're young, so I'm not going to absolutely crucify you for such a bold an inaccurate statement.

Look, in that particular comparison, it will come down to the old debate between "shiny new program with 'potential'" or "decorated juggernaught." City life or college town. Walk to bars or drive to bars. We've been recruiting against hundreds of schools for 80+ years and we will continue to do so. It's not like suddenly it's ASU vs UNCC for every single player we would have gotten. They're just one more school in an endless pool of suiters. UNCC has recruited against us for two years now. The only player we "lost" to them didn't meet our academic standards. Naturally UNCC welcomes him with open arms.

ASU_Fanatic
December 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I know you're young, so I'm not going to absolutely crucify you for such a bold an inaccurate statement.

Look, in that particular comparison, it will come down to the old debate between "shiny new program with 'potential'" or "decorated juggernaught." City life or college town. Walk to bars or drive to bars. We've been recruiting against hundreds of schools for 80+ years and we will continue to do so. It's not like suddenly it's ASU vs UNCC for every single player we would have gotten. They're just one more school in an endless pool of suiters. UNCC has recruited against us for two years now. The only player we "lost" to them didn't meet our academic standards. Naturally UNCC welcomes him with open arms.

I mean, I'm in HS and we have a pretty good football program at my school (went to state last year, won it in 2007) and if you ask most of the players if they had a choice the majority would choose UNCC. When they think App they think cold weather and a small town when Charlotte is a huge city. That's just on paper though, not saying App isn't going to continue to land many players over UNCC but if they go through with this 40,000 thins especially it's gonna get pretty tough dude. However if they go to FBS and in 10 years still aren't winning then it could be different, but UNCC is a really flashy school right now. They're landing players over ACC schools right now.

Apphole
December 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I mean, I'm in HS and we have a pretty good football program at my school (went to state last year, won it in 2007) and if you ask most of the players if they had a choice the majority would choose UNCC. When they think App they think cold weather and a small town when Charlotte is a huge city. That's just on paper though, not saying App isn't going to continue to land many players over UNCC but if they go through with this 40,000 thins especially it's gonna get pretty tough dude. However if they go to FBS and in 10 years still aren't winning then it could be different, but UNCC is a really flashy school right now. They're landing players over ACC schools right now.

Ok how many players are on your football team? 60? So ~20 are graduating seniors. And let's say maybe 10 of them are being recruited.

Now, let's pretend that your little highschool's 10 player sample is representative of the state of North Carolina/the South East. Depending on how good they are, they will be courted by a number of schools BCS to NAIA from all over the country. How many do you REALLY think are going to UNCC?

I'll admit that UNCC has the draw of being a new program. Shiny new stadium ect, but how far does that really go when the players are actually recruited by other schools. Once a player walked into a real stadium, sees real trophies, sees pictures of NFL players in certain college jersys and sees a real college atmosphere, do you really still think their preconcieved notions about the sparkly little noob in Concord is going to be in the back of their mind?

The point is, there's more to this whole recruiting thing than you seem to realize and there is damn sure more to it than UNC Charlotte and Appalachian. UNCC is beating ACC programs for players eh? So is Wofford. So is UL Lafayette. So is Alabama. It is a national phenomenon with thousands of schools and tens of thousands of players. Broaden your perspective.

UNCC WILL NOT achieve a noticeable recruiting advantage against App State consistently unless we stay FCS.

asumike83
December 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
UNCC is not landing players over ACC schools that are making a hard push for them, that just doesn't happen at the FCS or mid-major FBS level. Players will choose App, UNCC, etc. over an ACC school because they see an opportunity to play right away but if UNC or NC State makes a push for a kid that they want on the field early in their career, we all just move on to the next guy on the big board.

App has a couple of commits with ACC offers as does UNCC but in both cases, it's because the kid has a chance to play very early as opposed to riding the bench for a couple years. I do think all the new FBS programs in our region would damage our recruiting long-term if we do not move up but I think it will happen sooner than later and I'm confident in our ability to get good players.

Facilities and fan support are great but one huge selling point to all these kids debating between playing early at a smaller conference school and fighting for time in the ACC/SEC is the fact that we've got more guys in the NFL than most any non-BCS program in the area. Pitching Appalachian is a lot easier when the guy your're coming in to replace is playing on Sundays.

ASU_Fanatic
December 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ok how many players are on your football team? 60? So ~20 are graduating seniors. And let's say maybe 10 of them are being recruited.

Now, let's pretend that your little highschool's 10 player sample is representative of the state of North Carolina/the South East. Depending on how good they are, they will be courted by a number of schools BCS to NAIA from all over the country. How many do you REALLY think are going to UNCC?

I'll admit that UNCC has the draw of being a new program. Shiny new stadium ect, but how far does that really go when the players are actually recruited by other schools. Once a player walked into a real stadium, sees real trophies, sees pictures of NFL players in certain college jersys and sees a real college atmosphere, do you really still think their preconcieved notions about the sparkly little noob in Concord is going to be in the back of their mind?

The point is, there's more to this whole recruiting thing than you seem to realize and there is damn sure more to it than UNC Charlotte and Appalachian. UNCC is beating ACC programs for players eh? So is Wofford. So is UL Lafayette. So is Alabama. It is a national phenomenon with thousands of schools and tens of thousands of players. Broaden your perspective.

UNCC WILL NOT achieve a noticeable recruiting advantage consistently unless we stay FCS.

Ehh, maybe you're right. Playing time is going to play a big factor too, I just don't think it's going to be as easy as you think it's going to be. Every recruit is looking for different things so we'll see. I agree App has the tradition factor right now, but UNCC is also offering a lot. How long it takes them to get success will play a big role.

Apphole
December 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ehh, maybe you're right. Playing time is going to play a big factor too, I just don't think it's going to be as easy as you think it's going to be. Every recruit is looking for different things so we'll see. I agree App has the tradition factor right now, but UNCC is also offering a lot. How long it takes them to get success will play a big role.

Not saying it will be easy. It's never easy. UNCC will recruit players that I will one day wish had come to Appalachian. But so will UNC, NC State, ECU, Georgia Southern, UVA, USC, Wofford, Furman, CCU, UT, UTC, ect.

UNCC is a drop in the bucket, man.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Lets be clear, just because an ACC team shows interest in a player doesn't mean they are recruiting him, doubt very seriously there are going to be too many players that choose UNCC over State, Carolina etc. nothing against UNCC, that's just reality. As far as App vs UNCC in recruiting, as said before, APPs only lost 1 player, and so far is having a really good recruiting year, landing a couple of 3 star defensive backs. I think if app stays in the FCS, UNCC will eventually become a problem for app in terms of recruiting, but if app moves to the FBS I think app will be fine.

ASU_Fanatic
December 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Lets be clear, just because an ACC team shows interest in a player doesn't mean they are recruiting him, doubt very seriously there are going to be too many players that choose UNCC over State, Carolina etc. nothing against UNCC, that's just reality. As far as App vs UNCC in recruiting, as said before, APPs only lost 1 player, and so far is having a really good recruiting year, landing a couple of 3 star defensive backs. I think if app stays in the FCS, UNCC will eventually become a problem for app in terms of recruiting, but if app moves to the FBS I think app will be fine.

That's kinda how I'm viewing it right now. But UNCC does have a committed player right now that had OFFERS from NC State, Wake Forest and Arizona. So your other statement isn't entirely true. But again, we don't know what the schools are telling him.

ASUMountaineer
December 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Have the players visited UNCC? It's not in a huge city in reality. It's not even close to downtown (uptown). I can see why they think that, but you can see the race track in Concord from the university area, but not the high-rises in uptown. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that those players in your non-scientific poll assumption are misinformed if they think UNCC is in a big city--it's more a suburb. With that said, I will give you that it's much closer to a big city than Boone.

Ultimately, I agree with most of the posters that eventually UNCC could start really stealing recruits that would otherwise choose ASU if we remain in the FCS. However, I think it will take UNCC a while to get to that stage. They will need to have some success early on to maintain the level of interest they will have coming out of the gates.

asumike83
December 27th, 2012, 02:51 PM
That's kinda how I'm viewing it right now. But UNCC does have a committed player right now that had OFFERS from NC State, Wake Forest and Arizona. So your other statement isn't entirely true. But again, we don't know what the schools are telling him.

Same could be said for both schools. Anthony Covington (http://rivals.yahoo.com/appalachianstate/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Covington-131516) from Mallard Creek HS right there in Charlotte just committed to Appalachian. He had offers from ECU, GA Tech, UNC, NC State, Mississippi State, UVA, Wake, Pitt and others. He liked the campus, the coaching staff and saw an opportunity to play as opposed to sitting on the sidelines for a few years on an ACC/SEC team. Plus, having an opening in the secondary after the departure of an NFL-bound cornerback didn't hurt our case.

chattownmocs
December 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Schools offer players as back up plans all of the time. That doesn't mean they are going to get a letter of intent faxed to them on signing day.

GlassOnion
December 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I've lived in Charlotte, and I'd take Boone any day. Charlotte is a talent rich area, but I know as a HS Sr, I sure as hell didnt want to go to college in the same place I grew up. I imagine Im not the only student that felt that way.

citdog
December 27th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I've lived in Charlotte, and I'd take Boone any day. Charlotte is a talent rich area, but I know as a HS Sr, I sure as hell didnt want to go to college in the same place I grew up. I imagine Im not the only student that felt that way.

**** OFF!

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2012, 08:45 AM
**** OFF!

xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Still no response from you Mr. C. Did you feel like a big boy dishing out neg rep instead of responding? xlolx You're cool.

TheRevSFA
December 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Same could be said for both schools. Anthony Covington (http://rivals.yahoo.com/appalachianstate/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Covington-131516) from Mallard Creek HS right there in Charlotte just committed to Appalachian. He had offers from ECU, GA Tech, UNC, NC State, Mississippi State, UVA, Wake, Pitt and others. He liked the campus, the coaching staff and saw an opportunity to play as opposed to sitting on the sidelines for a few years on an ACC/SEC team. Plus, having an opening in the secondary after the departure of an NFL-bound cornerback didn't hurt our case.

You're going to have two types of recruits..the kind who actually take in where they will be playing ball, in terms of the campus, the area.

...and then you'll have those who will sign to the biggest name/biggest region that recruits them.

For example..to someone who doesn't know anything about FCS, which of these statements sounds better

"Oh yeah, I signed my letter of intent to Georgia State"

"Oh yeah, I signed my letter of intent to Georgia Southern"

I personally respect the recruit who actually takes the time to look at a school for more than athletics..or more than what conference they play in. Now I know, there are people who just go to college because it's the next step to the pros, but not all athletes get that, so I hope the ones who aren't guaranteed a shot at least give more thought to where they go to school.

walliver
December 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM
You're going to have two types of recruits..the kind who actually take in where they will be playing ball, in terms of the campus, the area.

...and then you'll have those who will sign to the biggest name/biggest region that recruits them.

For example..to someone who doesn't know anything about FCS, which of these statements sounds better

"Oh yeah, I signed my letter of intent to Georgia State"

"Oh yeah, I signed my letter of intent to Georgia Southern"

I personally respect the recruit who actually takes the time to look at a school for more than athletics..or more than what conference they play in. Now I know, there are people who just go to college because it's the next step to the pros, but not all athletes get that, so I hope the ones who aren't guaranteed a shot at least give more thought to where they go to school.

Actually, to the uninformed, people would choose either <name of state> State University or The University of <name of state> over a directional school.

Most great athletes would prefer to play in front of 70,000 fans in games that are usually broadcast. For the lesser players who can't land a big time scholarship, labels do kick in. SEC>Rest of BCS>Big East>CUSA-WAC>SunBelt>scholarship FBS>d2>non scholarship. Obviously, non-southerners may have a different top conference (B1G, B12, or PAC).

Unfortunately, there are great athletes sitting on the bench at SEC schools who could be stars in FCS. 18 year olds often don't make we'll informed decisions.

Apphole
December 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Actually, to the uninformed, people would choose either <name of state> State University or The University of <name of state> over a directional school.

Most great athletes would prefer to play in front of 70,000 fans in games that are usually broadcast. For the lesser players who can't land a big time scholarship, labels do kick in. SEC>Rest of BCS>Big East>CUSA-WAC>SunBelt>scholarship FBS>d2>non scholarship. Obviously, non-southerners may have a different top conference (B1G, B12, or PAC).

Unfortunately, there are great athletes sitting on the bench at SEC schools who could be stars in FCS. 18 year olds often don't make we'll informed decisions.

You lost me when you put WAC and CUSA above the SunBelt.

PaladinFan
December 28th, 2012, 01:37 PM

It's all a crap shoot. One example is Travis Eman - a three star quarterback from Canada. He got offers to TCU, Syracuse, Boston College, and Buffalo. Some fell through and he ended up a Furman Paladin. Now he is a freshman signal caller on the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks, where he passed for almost 500 yards and rushed for almost another 300 in reserve duty.

Another good example is Alex Mortensen. Absolute stud quarterback out of Georgia that went to Arkansas, had no playing time, transferred to Samford (I think even transferred to Georgia Southern for about 28 seconds), and then back to Arkansas. Kid was an incredible player and finished a four year career with something like 300 yards total passing. He would put up that just about nightly in high school.

The reality is, you cannot predict what a kid's triggers are.

walliver
December 28th, 2012, 02:50 PM
You lost me when you put WAC and CUSA above the SunBelt.

Are there any CUSA schools trying to join the Sunbelt?

FAU, FIU, and MTSU are leaving the SBC for CUSA. Others are rumored to be on a waiting list. It would seem that even current Sunbelt teams find C-USA more prestigious. The SBC may be a stronger conference this year, but C-USA is still more prestigious.

ASU_Fanatic
December 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Apphole I just thought I'd tell ya your pm's are full

Saint3333
December 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM

FAU, FIU, and MTSU are leaving the SBC for CUSA. Others are rumored to be on a waiting list. It would seem that even current Sunbelt teams find C-USA more prestigious. The SBC may be a stronger conference this year, but C-USA is still more prestigious.

Overall sports yes, but football (the subject at hand for recruiting) isn't cut and dry. Both are certainly better than the WAC which you put ahead on the Sun Belt.

Apphole
December 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM

The sunbelt is 12-5 against CUSA over the past 2 years. The conference realignment trend is a product of their more lucrative TV contract which will not be renewed now that they've lost their best teams.

Apphole
December 28th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Apphole I just thought I'd tell ya your pm's are full

TY

Go Apps
December 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM
https://twitter.com/AppTrailWSJ/status/279393421284749312

Smart Hire and the best hire that could have been made. Satterfield took a very anemic App State offense from last year and turned it to the 9th best this year.

The man knows how to win and I'm sure will continue to do so.

Disagree we missed the boat - there was never a search - Satterfield was not impressive this year IMO - ran the same plays over and over - we should have went after Horton - over Cobb that guy would walk right past an alumni and ignore the hell out of them - watched it happen over and over - prove me wrong...

cbarrier90
December 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Disagree we missed the boat - there was never a search - Satterfield was not impressive this year IMO - ran the same plays over and over - we should have went after Horton - over Cobb that guy would walk right past an alumni and ignore the hell out of them - watched it happen over and over - prove me wrong...

We did interview Horton. Satterfield wasn't impressive? Really? The numbers which I don't feel like looking up say otherwise. Defense was the problem, not the offense.

seantaylor
December 29th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Still no response from you Mr. C. Did you feel like a big boy dishing out neg rep instead of responding? xlolx You're cool.

Rube hits me with at least one a week.

superman7515
October 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Bump... xlolx

ysubigred
October 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Bump... xlolx

xpopcornx xlolx Wonder if Coach Moore would come back?

superman7515
October 8th, 2013, 12:36 PM

It's funny to see how some of those who were trumpeting this move have turned faster than the leaves.

Go Apps
October 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Yes and he would do it for free

Saint3333
October 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM
It's funny to see how some of those who were trumpeting this move have turned faster than the leaves.

Some had reasonable expectations and continue to believe in him as well.

walliver
October 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Yes and he would do it for free

If Jerry Moore come back tomorrow, he could not turn the team around this year.

He had a long and successful career, but it was time for him to retire. I wish it had been a more pleasant farewell. A lot of the problems the mountain men are facing developed on JM's watch.

Given time, Nate Woody can straighten out the defense.

Satterfield, just like any new head coach, is a crap shoot, and the jury is still out.

I did not expect ASU (or GSU) to run the table this year, but am really surprised how poorly this team has performed.

SoCon2013
October 8th, 2013, 09:47 PM

He had a long and successful career, but it was time for him to retire. I wish it had been a more pleasant farewell. A lot of the problems the mountain men are facing developed on JM's watch.

Satterfield, just like any new head coach, is a crap shoot, and the jury is still out.

I did not expect ASU (or GSU) to run the table this year, but am really surprised how poorly this team has performed.

Woody is a good coach, but apparently he didn't have the Terrier defense straightened out when App hung 80 on them that Halloween night in Boone.

walliver
October 9th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Woody is a good coach, but apparently he didn't have the Terrier defense straightened out when App hung 80 on them that Halloween night in Boone.

He wouldn't have that problem with this year's ASU team.

Smitty
October 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM
This thread is delicious....

The differences are

C) I have a penis.

Honestly this thread makes Apphole look as bad as Chattown...

Accelerati Incredibilus
October 9th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Woody ran into an App squad that would have hung a lot of points on almost any team that night. Edwards was on fire and the team was clicking. The Perfect Storm.

ASUMountaineer
October 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Doubtful. Big Coach Moore fan, but it was time.

Libertine
October 9th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Honestly this thread makes Apphole look as bad as Chattown...

This thread makes Apphole look as bad as Chattown?!? Where have you been?

citdog
October 9th, 2013, 05:09 PM

how'd that work out for you apphole?

paward
October 9th, 2013, 05:48 PM
You guys never cease to amaze me. Look what thread the cat drug in?

SoCon2013
October 9th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Jerry did damn well considering everyone knew he was in effect a lame duck for three years or so with his replacement working under him. However, he solely bears responsibility for hiring and subsequently failing to fire his errant son.

The season is far from over as the Samford game may be the turning point for this year and it's a crap shoot. App is one and one in the conference with enough games left to make a belated run. If the Mountaineers can win the close ones, it still has a prayer.