PDA

View Full Version : NoCo's Downing Looks Forward to Big Sky Challenge

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I really liked those folks from Northern Colorado when SHSU did a home-and-home series with them. Scott Downing has his work cut out for him in the Big Sky. Granted the GWFC was a tough walk around the block, but the Big Sky is a tough stroll as well...if NoCo comes out strong out of the gates, we'll see what kind of impact can be made...

First-year N. Colorado coach ready for initial Big Sky season
Posted: August 19, 2006
Associated Press

GREELEY, Colo. -- The Scott Downing era has begun at Northern Colorado.

If that isn't enough, the new football coach's arrival coincides with the program's inaugural season in the Big Sky Conference.

"I come here with high expectations, but at the same time I understand the reality of our move into the Big Sky Conference," Downing said Saturday. "This is the best Division I-AA conference."

Downing is the 15th coach in Northern Colorado's history. He replaced Kay Dalton after the Bears went 6-16 the past two seasons.

"We understand there are challenges ahead of us because five of out 11 games are against teams that are ranked in the Top 25 in I-AA, and eight of the 11 teams are ranked or are receiving votes," he said. "It's challenging but something we have prepared for and we hope we can do some good things on the field.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=119017

slostang
August 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
That has to be refreshing to UNC fans. Dalton was not the most optimistic coach around. I think that Downing will makes some real progress very quickly.

NoCoDanny
August 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Dalton is the first coach I've ever heard that would actually guarantee loses. Good riddance.