PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh's First Scrimmage

ngineer
August 19th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Attended most of Lehigh's first scrimmage after 10 days of practice. Despite some of the expected screw ups with a new offense and personnel, there were many bright spots.
First--Special teams is in good hands. Leo was 'money' from all over in field goals from 20-45 yds out and room to spare. His punts averaged around 45 yards, though a couple could have had some more hang time.
KO return revealed a speedster in Aaron Gilliard who had a nice one. Pastore also had a nice return.
Second--QB Threatt showed a cannon for an arm and quite accurate. Lee Thomas showed he will definitely be the #1 receiver with several nice catches in traffic. Thompson turned in a sparkling 50+ yard run on a screen pass. Threatt has put on some weight--looks stronger, and scrambled effectively. Probst is the #2, but Marshall is giving him strong competition for that role.
Third--Running backs--we finally have a 'stable'.:nod: McGowan ran like hell today between the tackles and Pastore showed he'll be a strong runner, too. Thompson is the change of pace at TB with his speed, and Fay turned in a solid performance at FB together with a nice reception for 30 yards. There will definitely be more of a focus on running the ball than in years past--of course, that includes Threatt, as well.
Fourth--OL was inconsistent with some excellent holes and then some stuffing by the DL. Pass protection was 'ok'--but the D was aggressive with a number of blitzes. Overall, the DL looked very good--mobile. A lot of competition at LB and hard to say what the final picture will look like. Micah Greene appears to be leading to start at MLB--a stud, but somewhat short. Rusty Campion--a senior, had some nice deflections, and one he then intercepted.
Fifth--Secondary played well overall. no 'blown' coverages that I could see and a couple ints when passes weren't 'on the mark'. Some excellent hits.
Sixth--the one area we are still lacking is a 'burner' to step up. Thomas, Donchez, Travato, Maggs and Morelli have good hands and get open, but I think we're hoping one of the 'youngsters' will be able to take the opportunity.
With time 'doubling up' this coming week with 'two-a-days', a lot more work will be put in and by next scrimmage, next weekend, it will be interesting to see what kind of progress occurs. However, there was a lot of good, positive energy.
Only down note, a third string OL went down with a badly fractured ankle and had to be removed to the hospital, season likely over for him, and about 10 'walking wounded' on the sideline who did not participate.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2006, 11:28 PM
There really is no "weakness" to this team other then WR and LB and those aren't even that bad when you consider some of the following. People seem to forget Thomas did tie for the team lead in receptions. I've been saying it all offseason, the OL and DL are both talented AND Experienced. Usually when looking for a first indication to a strong team one should look at the lines as well as experience at QB. Check, Check and Check. Also the RB stable is experienced with Thompson and Fay and Deep with McGowen and Pastore, god bless transfers, atleast this year. The secondary is experienced and deep, Courtney Elder who missed all but the first game and a half last year was a starter is back and played in 11 games as a soph, to go along with 2 other returning starters. Even LB's have talent and great leadsership in Mohler. There is also little questions marks in the kicking game as Leo was second team all league as a freshman. This team has a ton of potential IF they can stay healthy. If just 1 WR can step up and produce effective, not great numbers, returning 2 experienced TE's will help and a LB can emerge as another Cog next to Mohler. There is no weakness. Seriously.....think about it

ngineer
August 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Also of note---they've added about 300 more 'chairback seats' in the upper deck--demand for season tickets went up this year. Wonder if Coen gets a percentage...;)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM
I put a quick blog posting up about this. Are we seeing the end of "Air Lehigh" with coach Coen's new offense? That's the big unwritten story here in my mind.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Pard4Life
August 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Good synopsis. Lehigh is defintely on their game this year and if they were a stock, I'd buy 10,000 shares xlolx

..but then dump them right before 11/17 :rotateh:

But seriously, things are looking up over there. Wanted to stop by Lafayette's field and practice Saturday on a trip to Portland PA, but a 40-mile round-trip disuaded me... darn gas prices.. so no synopsis from me..

LBPop
August 21st, 2006, 01:06 PM
Sounds like Lehigh is loaded again...Duh. I will be cheering like hell against them when they come to DC, but I do like watching a quality team do its thing. Hoping the Hoyas can make it a little scary and then who knows...?

ngineer
August 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM
I put a quick blog posting up about this. Are we seeing the end of "Air Lehigh" with coach Coen's new offense? That's the big unwritten story here in my mind.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

It won't be the "Air Lehigh" that we have come to know. With two very experienced TE's, and great receivers out of the backfield, I would expect more of a 'west coast' approach to the passing game. Especially with Threatt's running ability to put pressure on the corners. I see a lot of similarity between Lehigh's personnel make up and that of the Eagles over the past 4 years. Great mobile QB with strong arm, number of RB's to throw to. Except Lehigh has some strong runners now to challenge defensives inside--something the Eagles cannot do.

ngineer
August 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM
Sounds like Lehigh is loaded again...Duh. I will be cheering like hell against them when they come to DC, but I do like watching a quality team do its thing. Hoping the Hoyas can make it a little scary and then who knows...?

I have no doubt the Hoyas will give us a spirited game. Two years ago, the final score was not indicative of the way you guys moved the ball offensively up and down the field. Our special teams and some big plays were the difference. We did not move the ball 'consistently'. It was all or nothing. Of course, new coach and new approach for both teams this year. Personnel-wise, we should definitely be favored, but then we know why we play the game.;)

ngineer
August 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM
Good synopsis. Lehigh is defintely on their game this year and if they were a stock, I'd buy 10,000 shares xlolx

..but then dump them right before 11/17 :rotateh:

But seriously, things are looking up over there. Wanted to stop by Lafayette's field and practice Saturday on a trip to Portland PA, but a 40-mile round-trip disuaded me... darn gas prices.. so no synopsis from me..

:confused: How were you travelling to Portland? Route 611 goes near Metzgar Fields. Nice ride--just took my dog to the vet up in Mt. Bethel today.