PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will win the NC of the previous non winners

blukeys
August 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I have to confess that I have mellowed somewhat since 2003 when Delaware broke thru the I-AA NC hurdle. We had many close calls including the blocked field goal in '82 and the 4th and 1 in '97 and way too many close calls that kept us from winning it all. :nod: :nod:

Of course it was frustrating and for many of us who followed the program for years heartbreaking. But, that is the way of sports. So my question to all of my brethren is this.

Which program that has never won a NC is most deserving (or if you prefer the most likely) of going all the way??????

Let's keep in mind that the last four NC's were first timers, WKU, UD, JMU, and ASU. Parity has kept teams from repeating and my view is that every year the field is wide open. But don't let my views affect your judgement.

I think the most obvious answers are McNeese and UNI, but let's not forget that Lehigh got to the NC in '79 (of course they lost to D-2 NC Delaware in the regular season!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Lehigh fans you know I love you!!!)

Colgate could have very well won a NC but they ran into an awesome team in the finals.

Western Carolina gets no love from anyone but it seems they get an upset or two and maybe GSU can't get it together this year.

How about Illinois State????? I keep hearing about them and they appear to have great players.

At any rate, we are at the mid stage of pre-season. We are excited about the upcoming season and we have a chance to put ourselves on the line so let's hear it for the teams who have yet to win an NC but definitely deserve a shot.

After my beloved Hens these are the teams who I would be most willing to see wear the I-AA crown.

89Hen
August 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
My short list would include McNeese and UNI at the top. Then probably W&M and Northwestern State with 13 playoff appearances between them. Sorry new guys (Cal Poly, NDSU, Coastal...) not yet, but I'll pull for you to win it one day.

Oh, I just realized you were talking about who we thought would of the non-winners, I posted who I would want to win it.

blukeys
August 19th, 2006, 09:14 PM
My short list would include McNeese and UNI at the top. Then probably W&M and Northwestern State with 13 playoff appearances between them. Sorry new guys (Cal Poly, NDSU, Coastal...) not yet, but I'll pull for you to win it one day.

Oh, I just realized you were talking about who we thought would of the non-winners, I posted who I would want to win it.

No problem, I deliberately left the criteria vague. As far as I am concerned sentimentality can enter into it. I only ask that folks admit that that is why they are voting that way. Hey one can make Cal Poly a sentimental favorite as well.

colgate13
August 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
If I have my way, Colgate will make another NC appearance by the end of this decade. :)

I think Biddle's got one more amazing run in him, and the past two classes he's bought in are the type to do it.

ngineer
August 20th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Of course we're somewhat biased, how else does one define a fan? Regardless, I think Lehigh, Colgate or Lafayette will make the big dance sometime within the next five years. We've all had the 'taste' and know we can dance when asked. Just have to get all the right moves at one time..;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Of course we're somewhat biased, how else does one define a fan? Regardless, I think Lehigh, Colgate or Lafayette will make the big dance sometime within the next five years. We've all had the 'taste' and know we can dance when asked. Just have to get all the right moves at one time..;)

I agree, the biggest question is coaching. Lehigh is on their 3rd head coach in 6 years but thankfully the program has maintained a high level. When you look around the landscape in 1-AA i don't think there's any program in the country that has had as much turnover in the coaching staff but maintained their success like Lehigh has and there's zero indication of them slipping either. With that said one has to think Tavani will be gone from Lafayette sooner rather then later. Biddle will probably retire at Colgate which gives them a great advantage in that department. Coen seems like he'll stick around Lehigh for a good amount of time but given his age i doubt he'll last more then 6-7 years. Lafayette will be the wildcard i think, someone will temp Tavani to leave before too long.

blukeys
August 20th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Pretty safe bet that one of three PL teams will navigate their way to the finals in 5 years. I wonder what Jonstonge would do in making odds of this? xlolx :nod: :nod: xlolx

dbackjon
August 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
UNI or UNH.

Then NAU :)

Pard4Life
August 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM
I agree, the biggest question is coaching. Lehigh is on their 3rd head coach in 6 years but thankfully the program has maintained a high level. When you look around the landscape in 1-AA i don't think there's any program in the country that has had as much turnover in the coaching staff but maintained their success like Lehigh has and there's zero indication of them slipping either. With that said one has to think Tavani will be gone from Lafayette sooner rather then later. Biddle will probably retire at Colgate which gives them a great advantage in that department. Coen seems like he'll stick around Lehigh for a good amount of time but given his age i doubt he'll last more then 6-7 years. Lafayette will be the wildcard i think, someone will temp Tavani to leave before too long.

:confused: Tavani has a contrac through 2012 or 2014 (one is for bball.. can't remember)... he is not going anyhwere.. he has been at Lafayette since the mid-1980s. He is in his mid-50s. There is no reason to not believe this is his last job.. I think he even motioned to that fact in the August 2 gathering.. carney?

Pard4Life
August 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Flattering to see the Pards on this list... we need some post-season love.. we got screwed out of a late 1940s Sun Bowl bid thanks to racist Texans...

..LC winning the title is a stretch in 2006.. we are getting to that point but it would be tough even now. We are slowly building the potential and I am curious to see how this 'speed and condtioning' theme will pan out. Colgate definetely has the best shot with their current team, and a Coen team defintely has potential by 2011.

And who knows... if Fordham gets their act together they can be back in the mix. They have potential for a great program, as Clawson proved.

goasu984Life
August 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Western Carolina gets no love from anyone but it seems they get an upset or two and maybe GSU can't get it together this year.

If Western wins the NC, we RIOT!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Go...gate
August 21st, 2006, 07:37 PM
I went with the chalk and picked Northern Iowa. Great to see the Patriot League getting some respect from our fellow I-AA competitors.

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM
I went with the chalk and picked Northern Iowa. Great to see the Patriot League getting some respect from our fellow I-AA competitors.

Well, I wish I could take some of your kudos but I actually did some really serious analysis in order to come up with my 10 teams.

UNI and UNH were obvious choices both have significant returning starters and neither have won an NC.

McNeese has been down since 2003 and the Southland is still not as balanced as some other conferences. I see them as having a better chance of getting to the playoffs then say an A-10 team such as W&M or Nova who have significant obstacles to reach the playoffs.

There is no Southern Con. team as the Big 3 have all already won NC's. No need to waste space on Elon.

The Gateway already has YSU, WKU, and SIU, I included the teams that I have heard are the best Gateway prospects outside of this group.

For the OVC, I have not heard that there was a team outside of JSU and EKU that could threaten. Of course EKU is out of the picture.

Hampton has been the best MEAC team for the last 4 years and they will always have a shot at the playoffs. It will be interesting to see what SCSU can do.

For the PL, none of the Big 3 have won it all and in my view one of them will be in the playoffs. I like Colgate's and Lafayette's defense and with a good defense any game is winnable.

CalPoly has lost a great defensive player but has the inside track for an at large bid again this year so I see them as a threat. Of course if they lose 5 regular season games all bets are off.

blukeys
August 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM

Well, I wish I could take some of your kudos but I actually did some really serious analysis in order to come up with my 10 teams.

UNI and UNH were obvious choices both have significant returning starters and neither have won an NC.

McNeese has been down since 2003 and the Southland is still not as balanced as some other conferences. I see them as having a better chance of getting to the playoffs then say an A-10 team such as W&M or Nova who have significant obstacles to reach the playoffs.

There is no Southern Con. team as the Big 3 have all already won NC's. No need to waste space on Elon.

The Gateway already has YSU, WKU, and SIU, I included the teams that I have heard are the best Gateway prospects outside of this group.

For the OVC, I have not heard that there was a team outside of JSU and EKU that could threaten. Of course EKU is out of the picture.

Hampton has been the best MEAC team for the last 4 years and they will always have a shot at the playoffs. It will be interesting to see what SCSU can do.

For the PL, none of the Big 3 have won it all and in my view one of them will be in the playoffs. I like Colgate's and Lafayette's defense and with a good defense any game is winnable.

CalPoly has lost a great defensive player but has the inside track for an at large bid again this year so I see them as a threat. Of course if they lose 5 regular season games all bets are off.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
:nono: Hmmpf - no analysis of the Big Sky, Blukeys?

blukeys
August 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
:nono: Hmmpf - no analysis of the Big Sky, Blukeys?

Montana and Montana State have already won NC's. Based on what I've read here and from others, EWU and NAU are about a year away. I thought about adding Idaho State as most seem to think this is the Big Sky team to watch but I ran out of space.

That and of course East Coast bias!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :smiley_wi

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Montana and Montana State have already won NC's. Based on what I've read here and from others, EWU and NAU are about a year away. I thought about adding Idaho State as most seem to think this is the Big Sky team to watch but I ran out of space.

That and of course East Coast bias!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :smiley_wi

I was going to bring that up :smiley_wi

BTW - Idaho State won the NC in 1981.

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
As much as I hate them...I still had to go with McNeese State since they're from Louisiana and the SLC.

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
As much as I hate them...I still had to go with McNeese State since they're from Louisiana and the SLC.

awwwww, a little love :D :thumbsup:

LacesOut
August 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
The Purple Puddy Cats from Northern Iowa.

Lionsrking
August 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
McNeese has been down since 2003 and the Southland is still not as balanced as some other conferences. I

Not sure where you heard that but the Southland is probably as balanced this year as it's ever been. You could make a case for any of the teams winning the title this year and I wouldn't be surprised if the champion has at least two conference losses.

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
awwwww, a little love :D :thumbsup:
I'll give credit where it's due. McNeese has just as good a shot as any of the other teams mentioned. Plus, they've got the name recognition and the resume to attract top-notch talent.

I just hope last year wasn't a fluke and Nicholls State is starting to close that gap! :hurray:

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
I'll give credit where it's due. McNeese has just as good a shot as any of the other teams mentioned. Plus, they've got the name recognition and the resume to attract top-notch talent.

I just hope last year wasn't a fluke and Nicholls State is starting to close that gap! :hurray:

I think the whole conferece is closing that gap and I hope the naysayers around the country see that up close and personal when the ooc games start :D

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
I think the whole conferece is closing that gap and I hope the naysayers around the country see that up close and personal when the ooc games start :D
Maybe, but we DEFINITELY need to put up or shut up in OOC this year. Then maybe we can continue multiple teams in the playoffs. Hell, maybe one year we can squeak a third team in! :thumbsup:

blukeys
August 22nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Maybe, but we DEFINITELY need to put up or shut up in OOC this year. Then maybe we can continue multiple teams in the playoffs. Hell, maybe one year we can squeak a third team in! :thumbsup:

Forgetaboutit!!! The A-10 which has 12 teams only got 2 teams last year. The Southland will be fortunate if they get 2 teams. Consider yourself lucky if you get that!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

McNeese75
August 22nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Forgetaboutit!!! The A-10 which has 12 teams only got 2 teams last year. The Southland will be fortunate if they get 2 teams. Consider yourself lucky if you get that!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I doubt the SLC will have a problem getting 2 teams in. :rolleyes: I just wonder how much we will have to listen to all the hoopla about how the A-10 is so mighty and deserve no less than 4 teams in the post season this year :D

blukeys
August 22nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
I doubt the SLC will have a problem getting 2 teams in. :rolleyes: I just wonder how much we will have to listen to all the hoopla about how the A-10 is so mighty and deserve no less than 4 teams in the post season this year :D

Well we saw the Southland "take a knee" again in 2005. It's kind of reminescent of 2003. Mighty or not the A-10 has 10% of the playoff eligible teams in all of I-AA and 4 teams from the A-10 is only one third of the conference. The Gateway got 4 teams in the playoffs in 2003 and I never heard the whining I heard in 2004 despite the fact that the Gateway teams were all gone by the semis and the A-10 rep WON in 2004.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

GeauxColonels
August 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiiight. I never said anything about this year. I said maybe, one year down the road, the SLC teams will improve and play well enough against OOC that we could possibly squeak a third team into the playoffs.

TxSt02
August 23rd, 2006, 09:33 AM
Texas State should be on that list...

McNeese75
August 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Well we saw the Southland "take a knee" again in 2005. It's kind of reminescent of 2003. Mighty or not the A-10 has 10% of the playoff eligible teams in all of I-AA and 4 teams from the A-10 is only one third of the conference. The Gateway got 4 teams in the playoffs in 2003 and I never heard the whining I heard in 2004 despite the fact that the Gateway teams were all gone by the semis and the A-10 rep WON in 2004.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I will not dispute the strength of the A-10 prior to 2005 (but they did lay an egg last year and the SLC competed better than your league reps in the playoffs). My point is the constant bantering about the SLC being weaker than the A-10, Gateway, etc is based on the past and I see a much improved league for this year.

I think 2003 was an anomaly for the A-10 and I for one never disputed their strength. I guess the issue I have with all the claims is my percieved lack of OOC play against other I-AA's. It seems like the SLC is all over the country every year playing against most of the other conferences but I just do not remember many A-10 matchups with others (occasionaly like Maine vs Montana or GSU vs Northeast last year). I can appreciate the logistics involved somewhat but I think that becomes an excuse. Delaware can claim they do not have to travel because they make so much money by playing more home games (sounds like the SWAC to me) but Montana (who probably draws a bigger crowd) came to Sam Houston State in 2004 in frickin September. When was the last time an A-10 team came to the south in September???

:twocents:

blukeys
August 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
I will not dispute the strength of the A-10 prior to 2005 (but they did lay an egg last year and the SLC competed better than your league reps in the playoffs). My point is the constant bantering about the SLC being weaker than the A-10, Gateway, etc is based on the past and I see a much improved league for this year.

I think 2003 was an anomaly for the A-10 and I for one never disputed their strength. I guess the issue I have with all the claims is my percieved lack of OOC play against other I-AA's. It seems like the SLC is all over the country every year playing against most of the other conferences but I just do not remember many A-10 matchups with others (occasionaly like Maine vs Montana or GSU vs Northeast last year). I can appreciate the logistics involved somewhat but I think that becomes an excuse. Delaware can claim they do not have to travel because they make so much money by playing more home games (sounds like the SWAC to me) but Montana (who probably draws a bigger crowd) came to Sam Houston State in 2004 in frickin September. When was the last time an A-10 team came to the south in September???

:twocents:

A-10 teams were 2-2 in the playoffs last year. The Southland was 2-1 last year. I'm not sure how 2-2 constitutes laying an egg in the playoffs. I guess everyone's expectations of the A-10 has just gotten higher.;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In terms of OOC games the logistics are that every A-10 team has 8 conference games and then only 3 OOC to schedule. If you have a "traditional" Non Conference game that leaves you 2. If you schedule a I-A that leaves one free OOC date.

Delaware's first choice for competitive OOC games appears to be the SoCon. We will be playing Furman in 2008 and 2009 and we had a very good ongoing relationship with the Citadel, a two game stretch with GSU and I heard from "a very relaible source" the Hens have been interested in getting ASU on the schedule.

We will do some of the traveling you yearn for in a 3 game stretch with South Dakota State starting in 2010. :nod: :nod:

I too would like to see a McNeese or Montana

McNeese75
August 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
A-10 teams were 2-2 in the playoffs last year. The Southland was 2-1 last year. I'm not sure how 2-2 constitutes laying an egg in the playoffs. I guess everyone's expectations of the A-10 has just gotten higher.;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In terms of OOC games the logistics are that every A-10 team has 8 conference games and then only 3 OOC to schedule. If you have a "traditional" Non Conference game that leaves you 2. If you schedule a I-A that leaves one free OOC date.

Delaware's first choice for competitive OOC games appears to be the SoCon. We will be playing Furman in 2008 and 2009 and we had a very good ongoing relationship with the Citadel, a two game stretch with GSU and I heard from "a very relaible source" the Hens have been interested in getting ASU on the schedule.

We will do some of the traveling you yearn for in a 3 game stretch with South Dakota State starting in 2010. :nod: :nod:

I too would like to see a McNeese or Montana

My premise was the SLC advanced further and the point spreads in the losses were smaller for what thats worth :rotateh:

I do realize you have fewer OOC opportunities due to your league size. Before last year we had 6 OOC games a year with no traditional game to play each year. When UCA comes in we will be up to 7 conference games a year. We have had the opportunity to travel the country in our OOC games (Portland State, Maine, Southern Utah, Georgia Southern, and headed to South Dakota in 2008) and it is always nice to meet and visit fans from around the country :nod: