PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southerns LB's anchor for the D

CSU BUCS
August 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Bucs expect linebackers to be strength of defense
Saturday, August 19, 2006

BY DAVID SHELTON

There may be better individual linebackers in the Big South Conference, but Charleston Southern may boast the best unit in the league, if not one of the best in all of I-AA football.

And the fact that three of the top four linebackers have another year of eligibility after this season brings a huge smile to the face of Buccaneers defensive coordinator Steve Barrows.

CSU's own "Band of Brothers" will lead a defense that stands to be one of the better units in the Big South. Led by the 2005 Big South Defensive Player of the Year, junior Jada Ross, the defense will carry a huge load as the Bucs defend their Big South championship. Juniors Josh Mitchell and Jonna Lee join Ross in the starting lineup, while senior Anthony Moore is capable of backing up all three. While all-everything quarterback Collin Drafts brings along a young offensive line, the pressure will be on the linebackers to anchor the defense.

"I don't think they feel any more pressure this year because they have always played with so much pride," said Barrows at CSU's media day on Friday afternoon.

"We're fortunate to have four guys at linebacker that have played a lot of football for us over the last two years. They are, without a doubt, the leaders of our defense. The other players respect them because they produce on the field. They're as cohesive a unit as any I have ever coached. It's just fun being out there everyday because they really, truly love the game."

Ross, Moore and Lee were a part of the first signing class for head coach Jay Mills while Mitchell came along a year later. All four have been fixtures at linebacker since arriving on campus. Moore (6-4, 230), a Wando High product, came to CSU as a tight end but was immediately moved to linebacker. He has played in 28 of a possible 32 games in his career, totaling 90 tackles.

Ross (5-9, 230), a Summerville High graduate, did not play as a freshman but has been one of the league's best over the last two seasons. Ross set a school record with 128 tackles last season and has 196 tackles in two seasons as a starter.

Lee (6-1, 230), who came to CSU from Hephzibah, Ga., was the Big South Freshman of the Year in 2003 after racking up 105 tackles. Lee sat out the 2004 season before returning last year with 62 tackles and 11 tackles for loss. Mitchell (6-1, 230) came to CSU from Jacksonville, Fla., in 2004 and was in the starting lineup in his first collegiate game. He has 134 tackles in two seasons and was a second-team all-conference pick in 2005.

Barrows, who coaches linebackers in addition to his role as coordinator, says the most impressive thing about all four players is the way they get along off the field, checking their egos at the door.

"They're just football players," he said. "They don't get hung up on awards and stuff like that. Jada is the defensive player of the year in our league and you won't ever hear him saying a thing about it. As a group, all they want is to win. When they tell you it's all about winning, it's no joke. They really do thrive on winning and they realize if they play well as a unit, we have a chance to win."

CSU's defense was among the worst in I-AA football in 2004, allowing nearly 50 points per game in a 1-11 season. The numbers have improved a great deal since that first season and it's no coincidence that it improved as the linebackers grew up together.

"We get along great off the field and I think that's been a big factor," said Mitchell. "We really don't care who gets the credit and that might be unusual but that's the way we all feel. The one common thing we all have is a desire to win. It's not about who wins what award. It's about winning and as a group we feed off of that."

If any of the four had a reason to gripe it would be Moore. With Lee missing the entire 2004 season, Moore ended up as the starter for all 10 games. When Lee returned last fall, Moore was relegated to the role of backup.

"He never said a word, never complained," said Barrows. "That's the type of kid he is. He went from 10 starts as a sophomore to one start as a junior but the kid never stopped working. I'm sure he'd love to play every down but he realizes his role on this team. He's as smart as any player we have. He knows all three positions. No player has been more consistent than he has been and that's a credit to the type person he is. His parents did a great job."

Moore, who was not recruited out of high school, says he is living a dream.

"I'm playing college football and I have a ring," he said. "What could be better? It's a honor to be playing with those guys. I try to contribute in any way I can and make the most of my opportunities. I wouldn't trade this for anything."

Lee says none of the four considers themselves a starter. They are linebackers and their job is to play as a unit, regardless of the combination.

"We learn from each other, all of us," said Lee. "When I was sitting out, I did all I could to help Anthony and I became a better player from watching. We've played so much together, all four of us, we just fit so well. It doesn't matter who starts. We know we're all going to play. All that matters to each of us is the final score."

Ross, who was named the Preseason Defensive Player of the Year last month by the Big South Conference, is perhaps the quiet leader of the group. He also plays his best in the biggest games, picking up 17 tackles in last year's title-clinching victory over Coastal Carolina.

"You have to trust the guys beside you and I would not want to play with anyone else," said Ross. "We've always got along really well. We all kinda came here together and we didn't know each other. Once we got on the field together, it just clicked. We have one ring together and we're going for another one this year."

Whether or not the Bucs can capture another championship this season remains to be seen. On a team with more than a few questions to answer before the season begins, Barrows is thankful that linebacker play is not one of them.

"We're not where we want to be as a defense yet and hopefully we'll get there this year," he said. "It sure is a nice feeling though to have those four guys as the anchors. They really are a special group of young men.

"When we got to camp this year I assigned a veteran to a freshman to serve as kind of a mentor for them, to help them adjust. The feedback I am getting from the young guys in terms of the leadership and help they've been getting from the veteran guys has really been impressive. It tells me those guys are not just concerned with themselves. They want to win and they realize they're going to need those young guys to make it happen. That's a leader."

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/Stories.aspx?section=sports&tableId=103340&pubDate=8/19/2006

The Gadfly
August 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzz

Mr. C
August 19th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I met Jada Ross a few weeks ago at the Big South media day. Seemed like a real nice kid. You would never know from his soft-spoken demeanor that he is one tough, aggressive linebacker in the middle of the CSU defense.

Got to laugh at a CCU fan falling alseep reading an article on CSU. Better pay attention Chanticleers, or you could find the Bucs beating you again in 2006.