PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hens Add Personal Development Coach

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Nice addition by K.C Keeler and the folks at Delaware. I think it's important for young student-athletes to get this kind of teaching. I know a lot of schools are implementing a 'freshman 101' class that would go ever such things and it's been very vital to the transition from HS to college for many of those freshmen. Glad to see Delaware doing something similar for their gridiron boys...especially in light of the Delaware arrests earlier this year...

Character development is the key
Former state police trooper helps young UD athletes find their focus
By KEVIN TRESOLINI, The News Journal
Posted Saturday, August 19, 2006

K.C. Keeler realized his program needed help when three University of Delaware football players were arrested and charged with armed robbery in March.

The Blue Hens' head coach had to find a person who could educate, advocate, advise and intervene. Someone who could see the potential for trouble, then put an end to it.

He needed David Baylor, who had retired in 2005 after 23 years with the Delaware State Police.

"Dave is the first guy I thought about," said Keeler, who named Baylor as UD's first personal development coach. He has been a common sight at the team's practices.

Off the field, Baylor, who turns 46 Sunday, will conduct seminars on academic integrity, time management, alcohol awareness, domestic violence, date rape, drug abuse, anger management, law, leadership, community service and discipline.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060819/SPORTS07/608190324/1002/SPORTS

jmuroller
August 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Isn't this what the coaches are supposed to do? I'm guessing they are to busy.

RadMann
August 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
In some respects I feel it is a good thing. In other respects I find it disheartening that it is even needed that young people are not getting the morals they need from home. Then again with a lot of the influences coming from our culture today and the effects on the young, it is probably a good idea.

Go...gate
August 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Nice addition by K.C Keeler and the folks at Delaware. I think it's important for young student-athletes to get this kind of teaching. I know a lot of schools are implementing a 'freshman 101' class that would go ever such things and it's been very vital to the transition from HS to college for many of those freshmen. Glad to see Delaware doing something similar for their gridiron boys...especially in light of the Delaware arrests earlier this year...

Character development is the key
Former state police trooper helps young UD athletes find their focus
By KEVIN TRESOLINI, The News Journal
Posted Saturday, August 19, 2006

K.C. Keeler realized his program needed help when three University of Delaware football players were arrested and charged with armed robbery in March.

The Blue Hens' head coach had to find a person who could educate, advocate, advise and intervene. Someone who could see the potential for trouble, then put an end to it.

He needed David Baylor, who had retired in 2005 after 23 years with the Delaware State Police.

"Dave is the first guy I thought about," said Keeler, who named Baylor as UD's first personal development coach. He has been a common sight at the team's practices.

Off the field, Baylor, who turns 46 Sunday, will conduct seminars on academic integrity, time management, alcohol awareness, domestic violence, date rape, drug abuse, anger management, law, leadership, community service and discipline.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060819/SPORTS07/608190324/1002/SPORTS

Excellent move from a standpoint of citizenry and football. UD's youngsters will benefit from this over their lifetimes.

blukeys
August 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I think this is a much needed move and a very proactive step in maintaining the integrity of the program. I'm glad the football staff and administration have looked to other schools that have such a position and have decided to ACT rather than wait for another costly situation that besmirches the reputation of a fine University and more importantly costs the lives of young men who make dumb disastrous decisions.

Grizo406
August 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Maybe AGS could add a Personal Development Coach, and take some of the heat off Joseph?!?