PDA

View Full Version : To any App. St. fans

GSU Eagle
December 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Here are Ga. Southern the rumors are flying that we will be invited to the SunBelt. I think it is a given that our President and AD will accept that invitation if offered. What are those of you on the App. St. end hearing about Appalachian joining the SunBelt and would your administration accept a Sun Belt invitation.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM
were in the same boat as you guys, lot of rumors, nothing concrete, even still hearing rumors about USA. Peacock/Cobb are being very quite on the subject, dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. If we are offered by the SBC, cant imagine they would turn it down. Personally. I think you guys are a lock, the SBC would love to have GS and Georgia State as inconference rivals. I had heard the SBC commissioner is going to make a decison in the next couple of weeks

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Still find it unreal GaSo would get invited before App

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 6th, 2012, 10:15 PM
After watching UNCC get a FCS invatation with no @$#$$ football team, starting to think we are cursed

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 10:19 PM
After watching UNCC get a FCS invatation with no @$#$$ football team, starting to think we are cursed

If GaSo jumps and we get left behind..... Well....... Ummm....... Well

Let's not think that way

GlassOnion
December 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see the Belt add GSU first, and App weeks later.

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see the Belt add GSU first, and App weeks later.

Those "weeks" for App fans would be miserable....

I just don't see a better option for them than App...

ITmonarch10
December 7th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Here are Ga. Southern the rumors are flying that we will be invited to the SunBelt. I think it is a given that our President and AD will accept that invitation if offered. What are those of you on the App. St. end hearing about Appalachian joining the SunBelt and would your administration accept a Sun Belt invitation.

If GSU and App St get an invite, ODU and Marshall need to start thinking about switching conferences. It may be a lot less money but dam we are kinda on an Island in the conference USA with ECU gone.

ThompsonThe
December 7th, 2012, 04:04 AM
If GSU and App St get an invite, ODU and Marshall need to start thinking about switching conferences. It may be a lot less money but dam we are kinda on an Island in the conference USA with ECU gone.

Seems like App State only has to make up their mind as to if they want into the Sun Belt. Some JMU rumblings also.
Find it weird on the Sun Belt board about people talking about Georgia Southern not even being on the Sun Belt list of prospective schools now. Why would that be? Cannot imagine. Could maybe see them taking New Mexico State but no idea why some are saying GaSo not being considered.

walliver
December 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
GSU should be an obvious choice for the Sunbelt. Geographically close to USA and Troy and the other GSU. From a TV market point of view, that is a lot of teams grouped together, but from a travel standpoint is a big money-saver ASU is more geographically isolated, especially when MTSU leaves (and WKU is widely rumored to be on a C-USA waiting list), but not any worse than New Mexico State.

In order to guess what the Sunbelt will do, we need to know their priorities (and those are not publicly available.
Possibilities include:
1) Are they willing to take 2 move-ups at one time? If not, then it will probably by GSU and NMSU.
2) Are they wanting to geographically expand in their core region? Ib that case is would likely be GSU and ASU.
3) Are they looking to control cost (especially travel)? In that case it would likely by GSU and Jax State.

Fans on message boards tend to obsess with program quality and other unimportant things. The real decision will be based on market perception and money.

Blue Eagle
December 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Still find it unreal GaSo would get invited before App

I am a "Big Time" Ga Southern fan, but I agree!!

ASU has been more prepared than we have, and I am really surprised they haven't gotten an invitation and will be very disappointed if we both don't get an invite!!

Finally, I think we have all the right people in place and are ready to make the move to the FBS!!

"GO EAGLES"

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM
agree with walliver about market perception and money being almost the sole driver of whether a school get an invite. If you look at App, our attendence would have been the best in the SBC this year, we have increased our athletic budget to over 17 million, there is talk about increasing the seating capacity at KBS. Non revenue sports are getting better, the baseball team, won the SC last year, and came withen 1 game of making the super regional, the womens baskeball team is sold and doing well, and App has dramatically improved the overall academics of the school in the last 20 years. No offense to GS, or JAX State, or some of the others, but when you put them side by side with App, other than the market angle, they dont stack up favorabaly. Im still hoping that App could get in a conference with JMU, a school, thats a better regional fit, but right now, that doesnt seem its going to happen.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM
i would like to see us move together... to be able to keep a rivalry in the move up would make it worth it to me...

dgtw
December 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I do not see the appeal of New Mexico State. They are a long way from everyone else, even the Texas schools. Other than already being in the FBS, what do they offer? An average football fan will know about App State beating Michigan and may be vaguely aware of their titles and Georgia Southern's titles. They would have a lot more street cred from a competitive standpoint.

Would Georgia State be happy about Southern coming into the league? I doubt they'd have much pull to block them, however. Jax State's biggest hurdle will be Troy trying to block them. Jax State would be a good addition geographically and I think they could compete in the Sun Belt, but the other two are probably more deserving.

GSU Eagle
December 7th, 2012, 08:26 AM
It is widely believed here in Statesboro that we will be formally invited as soon as our playoff run is over this year-- hopefully in January at Frisco. The general thought here is that GSU and Appalachian will be invited together. But who knows-- no one in position to know here has let on that anything is in the works. Our new AD keeps saying we are exploring options and trying to show conferences what we could bring to the table. It would be possibly to infer that we are shooting for something higher than the SunBelt, but I really can't see CUSA or the Big East seriuously considering us. We will see.

asumike83
December 7th, 2012, 08:41 AM
In my opinion, the Sun Belt will be adding more than 2 teams. They currently have 8 football members and would likely need 12 to get a championship game and remain viable. There is also the chance that they have another school or two poached by C-USA or the MWC.

I believe that Appalachian, Georgia Southern, NMSU and Jacksonville State will all be in the mix. Not to sound like too much of a homer but of all the FCS candidates, App is the most prepared for a move right now. It may come down to whether the ASU admins are willing to give up hope on C-USA and make the move. If our biggest football rival is coming along, I find it hard to believe we wouldn't. Plus, C-USA is not going to happen. Marshall and UNCC have no desire to let us in.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2012, 08:50 AM
If the offer comes with GSU to the SBC there is no reason for ASU to not take it.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 7th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Im not so sure that both Marshall and Charlotte wouldnt be alittle more receptive to App joining. Both were counting on ECU being their biggest rivals, and Charlotte was counting on ECU to help jump start their program. Charlotte has never had a true rival and really needs one to keep the fans interest. Now that ECU is gone, we are the obvious choice to fill that void. I still think the odds are we end up in the SBC, and should take it if offered.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Im not so sure that both Marshall and Charlotte wouldnt be alittle more receptive to App joining. Both were counting on ECU being their biggest rivals, and Charlotte was counting on ECU to help jump start their program. Charlotte has never had a true rival and really needs one to keep the fans interest. Now that ECU is gone, we are the obvious choice to fill that void. I still think the odds are we end up in the SBC, and should take it if offered.

Sorry, but you're wrong man. They have not and will not invite any school that's not in the middle of a major market. They passed on us in the spring for a football fetus in the same state 7 months ago and Cobb's App State whoring tour and alumni/media pitch didn't work. Even if UNCc and Marsha went to bat for us (and they will not), the rest of CUSA would never go for it. They're still in "mimic the BCS mode." They won't stop until their league is so full of UNCC-type trade schools with infantile programs and no fan support, the league will be incapable of winning an out of conference game. To them, big city location=money and money trumps every trophy in our case and even the 30k attendance average.

Charlie MUST see this. It's SBC or MAC. Sunbelt fans are convinced App and GaSo are the next additions. If the Sunbelt leaves us out again: A. Cobb screwed up or B. We are an institution incapable of moving to the FBS.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Charlie MUST see this. It's SBC or MAC. Sunbelt fans are convinced App and GaSo are the next additions. If the Sunbelt leaves us out again: A. Cobb screwed up or B. We are an institution incapable of moving to the FBS.

Both.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Both.

xlolx

There's no way both could be true.

Anyway, we will never have to know because we WILL be moving to the SBC. And for the record, the SBC>CUSA. You can keep the better TV deal, I'll take a group of better football programs.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Both.

This guy has been lurking in every App related thread on AGS for over a year now.

Another proud member of App Nation.

BR54Niner
December 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Both.

xlolx

Pure amateur hour up on the mountain. All dressed up and no where to go! I imagine no FBS invite considering the chinese fire drill taking place between Admin & former HC. Unbelievable. Proof Conf USA made the right choice between our sterling institution and Tweetsie Tech. xcoffeex

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 7th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I agree that its a long shot to get in USA, and we should take an offer from SBC immediately, if offered, but there have been changes in USA that atleast, increases the odds, ever so slightly, 1. see above quote 2. the power to control the conference has shifted to the east coast, their 2 largest tv markets are Charlotte, and now, Ft Lauderdale/Miami area. UNCC and FAU will have a stronger influence over conference decsions. If I was to place odds on us getting an USA invite, I would put it less than 15 percent. Charlotte might not like us, and are afraid of us, but, from a business standpoint they need us. We would feel up their stadium, buy their merchandise, and make them releant in the eyes of the media. If I was the administration for UNCC, I would be putting my feelings aside and trying to find a way to get App as a rival.

ASUG8
xlolx

Pure amateur hour up on the mountain. All dressed up and no where to go! I imagine no FBS invite considering the chinese fire drill taking place between Admin & former HC. Unbelievable. Proof Conf USA made the right choice between our sterling institution and Tweetsie Tech. xcoffeex

.....and the troll emerges.xlolx

Beat Campbell xlolx and we'll talk. Until then, enjoy your basketball team at UNC-Nascar.

Apphole
xlolx

It's not like it actually came down to a choice between the two. Despite what out AD ever thought, we were never seriously considered.

Everyone knows the one and only prerequisite: Proximity to a major media market.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 09:54 AM
xlolx

There's no way both could be true.

Anyway, we will never have to know because we WILL be moving to the SBC. And for the record, the SBC>CUSA. You can keep the better TV deal, I'll take a group of better football programs.

Your turgid thoughts continue to amaze me.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM

So you disagree?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

GlassOnion
December 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Look, somebody brought their thesaurus to the fight!

Loser!

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 10:04 AM
So you disagree?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

Look at the historical rankings then speak. I know this will be hard for you.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Look, somebody brought their thesaurus to the fight!

Loser!

Cute 5th grade insult, shows what you bring to the table.

GlassOnion
December 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Least Im tall enough to sit at the table, nice of you to come out and display the symptoms of short man syndrome for us, you troll.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Historical ranking!?! xlolx

Look, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but CUSA ain't what she used to be. ALL the powerful programs are gone. Did you really expect ECU, UCF and USF to be on your conference slate once 2015 rolls around?

Good lord you people are so ignorant to the realities of college football it's comical.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Least Im tall enough to sit at the table, nice of you to come out and display the symptoms of short man syndrome for us, you troll.

Someone's mother breast fed them too long.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Historical ranking!?! xlolx

Look, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but CUSA ain't what she used to be. ALL the powerful programs are gone. Did you really expect ECU, UCF and USF to be on your conference slate once 2015 rolls around?

Good lord you people are so ignorant to the realities of college football it's comical.

And you think the SunBelt is going to be the same when you arrive? Don't count on it. Keep trying.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
And you think the SunBelt is going to be the same when you arrive? Don't count on it. Keep trying.

I expect the dynamic to remain the same as it is today. The Sunbelt has dominated CUSA teams in bowl games in the past few years and beaten far more games against BCS programs. It is a better conference as far as football strength of schedule goes.

When GaSo and App enter the gap will only widen since we will be transitioning from FCS powerhouse to FBS noob while CUSA is hampered by breaking in a baby in UNCc.

GlassOnion
December 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Someone's mother breast fed them too long.

Im gonna go ahead and throw your own quote right back at you, troll.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM
The Sunbelt has dominated CUSA teams in bowl games in the past few years

Good to see you just make stuff up. They really haven't played each other too much but CUSA is 2-1 and the Sunbelt's one win came from MTSU who is coming to CUSA. You should try actual results and statistics.

Bowl Results over the past 4 years of teams staying in CUSA or coming into CUSA

R+L Carriers New Orleans
Southern Miss 30, Troy 27 (OT)

Motor City
Florida Atlantic 24, Central Mich. 21

Independence
Louisiana Tech 17, Northern Illinois 10

GMAC
Tulsa 45, Ball State 13

R+L Carriers New Orleans
Middle Tennessee 42, Southern Miss 32

Little Caesars
Marshall 21, Ohio 17

Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg
Louisville 31, Southern Miss 28

Sheraton Hawaii
Tulsa 62, Hawaii 35

GoDaddy.com
Miami (Ohio) 35, Middle Tennessee 21

Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl
Marshall 20, Florida International 10

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
TCU 31, Louisiana Tech 24

Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl
BYU 24, Tulsa 21

walliver
December 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
We would feel up their stadium,

That might be the only action they get in their new stadium.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Ah. Yes. Historical rankings.

TCU. Louisville. Cincinatti. Southern Miss. Houston. East Carolina. South Florida.

Some pretty good programs! Certainly a conference I'd be excited to be a part of.

But, what does CUSA a decade ago, or even a handful of years ago, have to do with CUSA today? Very, very little. xcoffeex

asumike83
December 7th, 2012, 11:41 AM
C-USA is still more desirable because of the TV contract but on the field, it is a hard argument to make.

SBC was ranked higher in the RPI and Sagarin, while also going 5-2 head to head. CUSA is losing 3 of the top 4 2012 finishers in the East, 2 of the top 3 finishers in the West and part of their replacement is 3 of the bottom 4 finishers in the Sun Belt, along with LA Tech (the one solid on-field addition) and 3 programs who've been in existence less than 5 years (UTSA, ODU, UNCC). I do think that ODU will adjust quickly and UNCC has solid long-term potential but their on-field product is about to take a significant step back.

GSU Eagle
December 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Everyone is so tighty lipped right now. I hope if we go to the Sunbelt that Appalachian goes with us. Make no mistake if we both go to the SunBelt that conference becomes stronger. I know many think we won't be able to compete immediately but I think both of our teams would surprise many if we go to that conference. I think there is no doubt that if offered our current decision makers would accept an invite to the SunBelt.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 7th, 2012, 12:08 PM
as I said before, I would be shocked if GS doesnt get an invite, the sbc would love to start a conference rivalary between GS and Georgia State. I agree that if both got in, they would be extremely competive from the beginning, not saying they would win the conference in the first year, but I think they would finish in the top half.

WH49er
December 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ah. Yes. Historical rankings.

TCU. Louisville. Cincinatti. Southern Miss. Houston. East Carolina. South Florida.

Some pretty good programs! Certainly a conference I'd be excited to be a part of.

But, what does CUSA a decade ago, or even a handful of years ago, have to do with CUSA today? Very, very little. xcoffeex

You're right, different conference. As I said in one of my previous post, the SunBelt will be raided again and more than likely CUSA will take the likes of Arkansas State and WKU. Then you are left with Troy, ULL, ULM, USA, Georgia State and Texas State.

A combination of USM, Marshall, ODU, MTSU, Tulsa, UTEP, Arkansas State etc. have been historically better than would be in left in the SunBelt.

We all know the conference realignment pecking order at this point and if someone chooses to ignore that is up to them.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
You're right, different conference. As I said in one of my previous post, the SunBelt will be raided again and more than likely CUSA will take the likes of Arkansas State and WKU. Then you are left with Troy, ULL, ULM, USA, Georgia State and Texas State.

A combination of USM, Marshall, ODU, MTSU, Tulsa, UTEP, Arkansas State etc. have been historically better than would be in left in the SunBelt.

We all know the conference realignment pecking order at this point and if someone chooses to ignore that is up to them.

You seem to be the only one ignoring fact.

As of today, CUSA's media contract is better, ie each school gets more money in CUSA. That is the one and only reason that the "pecking order" is such that teams are moving from the SBC to CUSA. CUSA is grabbing every major market they can to try and keep the big money contract the way it is.

When it comes to strength of football programs, head to head bowl games and BCS busters, the Sunbelt is head and shoulders above CUSA. If you are a real sports fan, this is what is important to you. This is why I would rather go Sunbelt than CUSA. That and I shudder at the thought of being in the same conference/having to deal with the most ignorant, arrogant and delusional fanbase in the NCAA: UNCc more than I already do.

SpeedkingATL
December 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Would like to see GaSo and ASU both make the move to Sunbelt. I expect GaSo would be first in the pecking order and that Jax State might get the second. If more than 2 are added I would think App would certainly be strongly in the mix.

Apphole
December 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Would like to see GaSo and ASU both make the move to Sunbelt. I expect GaSo would be first in the pecking order and that Jax State might get the second. If more than 2 are added I would think App would certainly be strongly in the mix.

Is there anything besides geography to compel you to think GaSo would be ahead of us in line? I certainly can't think of a thing.

asumike83
December 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Is there anything besides geography to compel you to think GaSo would be ahead of us in line? I certainly can't think of a thing.

That and a natural rival for GA State. Honestly, I think the only way we do not go to the SBC is if we don't want to. Even if we are not 1 of the first 2 taken, they will likely lose WKU and/or Arkansas State before too long.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Everyone is so tighty lipped right now. I hope if we go to the Sunbelt that Appalachian goes with us. Make no mistake if we both go to the SunBelt that conference becomes stronger. I know many think we won't be able to compete immediately but I think both of our teams would surprise many if we go to that conference. I think there is no doubt that if offered our current decision makers would accept an invite to the SunBelt.

Who thinks that?

Waco Kid
December 7th, 2012, 02:34 PM

That's the problem though, those rankings and more importantly the teams that created them are history. CUSA replaced them with schools like FIU, FAU, UNT, that have never won anything then UTSA who has 1 year playing football, and UNCC who has never played a down. MTSU and LaTech have had good teams, but that hardly makes up for recent departures like ECU, Houston, and UCF. If you want to go back a little further and talk about teams like L-Ville, Cinncy, TCU then its an even larger drop. With the current lineups the Sun Belt has a better on the field product while CUSA has more recognizable schools.

Having said that, I would rather be in CUSA since we could play Marshall and MTSU again plus the geography fits us better. Most of all I would love beating the crap out of your glorified commuter school in Concord considering all the smack you 49er guys have been spewing the past few months. I guess there is always the chance we could play an OOC game if we're in the Sun Belt... unless you're scared of getting pounded???

PaladinFan
December 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I will restate, and maintain the same position I have had since I started posting on this forum, which is generally summed up as "I'll believe it when I see it."

The invitation does not hinge on your football team or your fans. If it did, both of these schools would have left long ago. Nobody (except the fans) cares about your football team. It is about what do you bring to the table. The money. Waive all the championship banners you'd like, but at the end of the day, there just aren't enough folks in the area.

These conferences, like any business, are interested in making money. They pick up schools that have zero appeal program wise, simply because they bring a media market. Virtually across the board the schools that are invited to move up are in, or are in close proximity to, major metropolitan areas. That's a huge strike against App State and Georgia Southern.

If it were just about game day attendance, the argument would be moot. Northern Illinois is going to a BCS bowl, and they barely average 15,000 folks a game. Many of the SunBelt schools average substantially less on a Saturday.

Even if the invite is given, does it really make financial sense? Both of these schools are clamoring so badly to move to the FBS, but can't see that the SunBelt (and even CUSA to some degree) are sinking ships. There's a reason teams are fleeing these organizations like rats on the Titanic.

Still, if the invitation comes, then bully for you all. I wish you every bit of luck in that endeavor. We just have the same conversation year after year after year about this same topic. Nothing changes. Statesboro didn't move closer to Atlanta or Jacksonville and Boone is no closer to Charlotte or Knoxville. It is what it is.

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I understand what your saying Paladinfan, and I agree with alot your saying, but there is one really important part of the puzzle you left out, and that is, the Sunbelt/USA might be sinking, but the FCS is already on the bottom of the ocean. It is a broken business model that cant be fixed. The students at most schools could care less about the football program, the administrations are either unwilling or unable to fund the programs. The media could care less about coverage. I predict withen 10 years the FCS will be disbanded, and teams will be forced to move to divison 2 or move up. What App, GS, and other schools are trying to do, is get out before it totally collapes on itself. No, moving up is not ideal, and it will present alot of new problems, but it sure as hell is better than sitting around in the FCS, slowly rotting away.

citdog
December 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I understand what your saying Paladinfan, and I agree with alot your saying, but there is one really important part of the puzzle you left out, and that is, the Sunbelt/USA might be sinking, but the FCS is already on the bottom of the ocean. It is a broken business model that cant be fixed. The students at most schools could care less about the football program, the administrations are either unwilling or unable to fund the programs. The media could care less about coverage. I predict withen 10 years the FCS will be disbanded, and teams will be forced to move to divison 2 or move up. What App, GS, and other schools are trying to do, is get out before it totally collapes on itself. No, moving up is not ideal, and it will present alot of new problems, but it sure as hell is better than sitting around in the FCS, slowly rotting away.

hey nostradumbass you're NUTS. schools all over are contemplating starting or resuming football. the subdivision will be just fine with or without yosef or pigs ***.

ITmonarch10
December 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
hey nostradumbass you're NUTS. schools all over are contemplating starting or resuming football. the subdivision will be just fine with or without yosef or pigs ***.

I agree with citdog and the only ones who would be hurt is the SoCon. Even then it would probably be only for the short term. Someone always rises to fill the void left by another.

GSU EAGLES
December 7th, 2012, 04:23 PM

Geography with added complexity traveling to the mountains.

Ga Southern is not slobbering over CUSA and would not be calling them up for an invite after we join.

More natural rivalries with Ga State, Troy.

Much better recruiting in Georgia and North Florida.

With that said, I hope we both ge an invite and can continue our rivalry.

mountaineerman
December 7th, 2012, 05:16 PM
The geography of boone is what is killing us two hours from any direction to get here. That being said us and georgia southern top five programs in fcs to get us both at same time would be great for sunbelt.

hapapp
December 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'm not convinced the athletic admin has warmed to the SBC deal. I have a feeling that the half of fanbase that has supported Cobb in the Moore mess will turn on him if we don't wind up in the SBC. Things may only be getting worse for Charlie Cobb in Boone.

I'm of the opinion that we need to find an FBS home wherever it may be. There is logic in what everyone has stated about the advantages of the SBC. However, we may still not get to our desired destination any time soon.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2012, 06:36 PM

I don't know why some of you guys want to stick to this butt you are dead wrong. FCS had a higher % of growth in fans last time the study was put out and had a higher % of dollars increase due to ticket sales because of that than FBS had.

It is sincerely not a cut on App or GSU or anyone else but losing those teams won't be as costly as you all seem to think. I'd rather it didn't lose them at all of course but there seems to be some real hubris on this matter.

asumike83
December 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I don't know why some of you guys want to stick to this butt you are dead wrong. FCS had a higher % of growth in fans last time the study was put out and had a higher % of dollars increase due to ticket sales because of that than FBS had.

It is sincerely not a cut on App or GSU or anyone else but losing those teams won't be as costly as you all seem to think. I'd rather it didn't lose them at all of course but there seems to be some real hubris on this matter.

I agree that the FCS is not dying and will be just fine even if Appalachian and Georgia Southern leave.

Considering a move up is a topic that is different for every university. My concern as an App fan is what our future looks like if we stand pat. We have grown so much over the last decade, built a brand and a level of fan support that few others can rival at this level. Right now, our biggest football rival is on their way out the door. JMU, our biggest non-conference rival and peer institution is eyeing a move as well. UNCC, ODU and GA State have also started programs in prime recruiting areas over the past 5 years and made an FBS move. Our ability to stay viable as an FCS program is a big concern for me.

Of course, Appalachian football is an institution and it will survive regardless but I believe our chances of continuing to progress are much greater if we make a move. I feel like I've been saying this for 10 years now but regardless of what happens, I'm just ready for all this realignment to be over with. The uncertainty is what really kills me.

SpeedkingATL
December 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM

The irony is that App and GaSo might move to FBS and within 5 years the 4 "Super BCS" conferences say to hell with the remainder of FBS because they have already picked the bones of CUSA, Sunbelt, WAC, MAC and the Big East. If not in one of those 4 Super BCS conferences the remaining FBS teams will merge with the top FCS programs and redefine FCS/1-AA with the bottom half of FCS dropping to Division II. Then App, GaSo, Marshall, GaState and others will be right back where they started except with more scholarships to fund and be competitive.xrolleyesx

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
The irony is that App and GaSo might move to FBS and within 5 years the 4 "Super BCS" conferences say to hell with the remainder of FBS because they have already picked the bones of CUSA, Sunbelt, WAC, MAC and the Big East. If not in one of those 4 Super BCS conferences the remaining FBS teams will merge with the top FCS programs and redefine FCS/1-AA with the bottom half of FCS dropping to Division II. Then App, GaSo, Marshall, GaState and others will be right back where they started except with more scholarships to fund and be competitive.xrolleyesx
Then we jump SEC ayyyeeee we in this

THATS RIGHT, HOV

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I agree that the FCS is not dying and will be just fine even if Appalachian and Georgia Southern leave.

Considering a move up is a topic that is different for every university. My concern as an App fan is what our future looks like if we stand pat. We have grown so much over the last decade, built a brand and a level of fan support that few others can rival at this level. Right now, our biggest football rival is on their way out the door. JMU, our biggest non-conference rival and peer institution is eyeing a move as well. UNCC, ODU and GA State have also started programs in prime recruiting areas over the past 5 years and made an FBS move. Our ability to stay viable as an FCS program is a big concern for me.

Of course, Appalachian football is an institution and it will survive regardless but I believe our chances of continuing to progress are much greater if we make a move. I feel like I've been saying this for 10 years now but regardless of what happens, I'm just ready for all this realignment to be over with. The uncertainty is what really kills me.

If you think where you are going and who you will be playing and what you will be playing for is an upgrade then so be it but I haven't seen that happen in the vast majority of move ups. To be honest I'll actually be fine some of the whining about everything come to an end. Not talking about yourself but there is a lot of to shake your head at and wonder how some can reconcile all the conspiracy thinking and blaming everyone around them for what they haven't gotten yet. At least when they get it I won't be reading whatever the new complaints are about why certain big teams won't come play there and why y'all have only have lackluster teams visiting and a good one on the back end of a 2 for 1 and not having the chance to play for something important because the "big boys" don't respect App.

Again, not pointing that statement at you mike, just sayin'.

seantaylor
December 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
GSU is a bigger school than Appy. That could be a factor. You never know.

Saint3333
December 8th, 2012, 07:06 AM
If GSU goes to the Belt without App it will be because GSU tried harder for that specific conferrnce and App waited on a CUSA invite vs. a full court press for the Belt. That is what this all comes down to right now.

If App tries 100% for the Belt or even just 80% we get in.

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM
If GSU goes to the Belt without App it will be because GSU tried harder for that specific conferrnce and App waited on a CUSA invite vs. a full court press for the Belt. That is what this all comes down to right now.

If App tries 100% for the Belt or even just 80% we get in.
If that is the case, Charlie Cobb is the new Sam Baker.
At this point, he better be trying to get an invite...any invite.

Saint3333
December 8th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I don't think Sam was shooting for the stars, he was just the opposite.

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM
If you think where you are going and who you will be playing and what you will be playing for is an upgrade then so be it but I haven't seen that happen in the vast majority of move ups. To be honest I'll actually be fine some of the whining about everything come to an end. Not talking about yourself but there is a lot of to shake your head at and wonder how some can reconcile all the conspiracy thinking and blaming everyone around them for what they haven't gotten yet. At least when they get it I won't be reading whatever the new complaints are about why certain big teams won't come play there and why y'all have only have lackluster teams visiting and a good one on the back end of a 2 for 1 and not having the chance to play for something important because the "big boys" don't respect App.

Not to restate a point, but Northern Illlinois is going to a BCS bowl game, and they draw less than many FCS teams. That is, they are as good as they could ever possibly be, and still draw about what Furman did in the mid-2000s.

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM

won't have a thing to do with it.

blueballs
December 8th, 2012, 07:57 AM
won't have a thing to do with it.

Not right now, but in the future it could.

GSU was for decades a teacher's college, so the older alumni aren't- in general- exactly flush. Since the meteoric growth of the university and the fact that it has broadened into a research university the living alumni base in future years will be broader and wealthier- and most likely able and willing to donate more.

I've seen this phenomenom play out here locally at UCF. Granted UCF is in Orlando so it has HUGE corporate support that GSU will likely not be able to get, but UCF is exhibit A for how the growth and diversification leads to more $$$ coming in. I would expect GSU to take a similar path.

GSU EAGLES
December 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Pure speculation. There has been nothing concrete to suggest that would happen. As long as the big schools are making big money, they will let the system continue as is.

spfootball
December 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
It's still hard to believe that Jerry Moore has retired from App.

cbarrier90
December 8th, 2012, 09:24 AM
It's still hard to believe that Jerry Moore has retired from App..

Apphole
December 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM

I don't know if 2 thousand students is too big of a difference. If GaSo goes withou App it's because Cobb is an asshat.

Baldy
December 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I don't think Sam was shooting for the stars, he was just the opposite.
True, but I'm referring to the ineptitude.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I don't know if 2 thousand students is too big of a difference. If GaSo goes withou App it's because Cobb is an asshat.

This is kinda what I'm thinking

asumike83
December 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM

I agree, some folks are never going to be happy. Just to be clear, I don't necessarily think that what we'll be playing for in terms of the postseason will be better unless we are able to put together a Boise/TCU/NIU type season at some point. I would definitely miss the playoffs a LOT.

With all that is going on around us, I just fear that our on-field product will begin to suffer when UNCC/GA State/ODU start snatching up some of our recruits. Although it is just one kid, we have a WR that we are going after who said point blank "If App was DI instead of DIAA, I would have already committed". Regardless of whether there is any merit, that is how many High School kids view FCS football and with all the new competition that didn't exist a few years ago, we will start to feel it.

Plus, at this point, we've gone too far to turn back without some negative impact. We've spent the money on the study, recommended the move and made our wishes public. If all that talk comes to nothing, it would reflect poorly on our program and leadership.

asumike83
December 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
If that is the case, Charlie Cobb is the new Sam Baker.
At this point, he better be trying to get an invite...any invite.

Fair or not, if the entire offseason passes by and GSU announces an FBS moves and App does not, Cobb may be looking for work.

hapapp
December 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Fair or not, if the entire offseason passes by and GSU announces an FBS moves and App does not, Cobb may be looking for work.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens.

seantaylor
December 9th, 2012, 12:10 AM

2,000? GSU has 21,000 students. Appy has what, 14?

james_lawfirm
December 9th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Last I heard, App has 17,500 students.

Rekdiver
December 9th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Lets be clear.. There is an FBS committee at ASU and Cobb doe not make this decision. He also does not control t he size or the perception of the market. It a Chancellor and a trustee decision and they have made it clear it must make economic sense and include regional rivalries.

Saint3333
December 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM

www.google.com is your friend.

20,574 for GSU, 17,589 for App. The difference there isn't in the top 20 variables should a decision come down to the two schools.

App Attack
December 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM

The two schools are similar in size, so that's not it. App currently has better football attendance, better facilities, more sports to offer, etc. We usually win best overall sports program in the SoCon. We're more ready than GaSo right now. It would be fun to have both and continue the rivalry. It would be wise for the Sun Belt. Not sure what they're waiting for, unless it's the FCS playoffs.

App Attack
December 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Both.

LOL. UNC-Concord is a suitcase college. A day school. A glorified community college. There's nothing exciting or interesting about it. It's not a college town. Nobody cares about them. They are an afterthought. There will be no support. They'll never amount to anything in football. Go away, troll.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 9th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Why would anyone want to move up without a 16 team playoff system in place?

Saint3333
December 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Better regular season schedule is one season.

PaladinFan
December 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Better regular season schedule is one season.

Is it really better to go from playing regional rivals and one big FBS game a year to playing non-regional rivals and one big FBS game a year? I realize App fans lament playing in "high school stadiums," but the SunBelt schools aren't playing in cavernous parks either.

The question is really one of whether the pros of playing in front of (maybe) a couple thousand more folks a game on average against teams with which there is zero history, and being equal in chest thumping contests with other state directional schools outweighs the cons of a monumental investment in terms of money. That's really as simple as the question gets.

Saint3333
December 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
If App Moves to the FBS we will host at least one team like ECU, Wake, Marshall, etc. every other year if not each year. Many will doubt this statement, that is until they do some research and see what the OOC schedules look like for current Belt members.

When GSU moves up what home games would highlight the home schedule for us? Why spend money to continue to play that type of schedule is an equally good question?

GlassOnion
December 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Is it really better to go from playing regional rivals and one big FBS game a year to playing non-regional rivals and one big FBS game a year? I realize App fans lament playing in "high school stadiums," but the SunBelt schools aren't playing in cavernous parks either.

The question is really one of whether the pros of playing in front of (maybe) a couple thousand more folks a game on average against teams with which there is zero history, and being equal in chest thumping contests with other state directional schools outweighs the cons of a monumental investment in terms of money. That's really as simple as the question gets.

The Sun Belt IS a regional conference.
Troy, WKU, Ga So would be great rivalries, certainly no worse than App/Furman.
The Sun Belt has some pretty damn nice stadiums, certainly better than the Socon.
The Sun Belt averages about 20,000 attendance, about 7,000 more per game than the Socon, and that gap will explode when App and GSU leave.
The Sun Belt plays on TV, and actually cuts a check to the members, the Socon cant PAY to get their games televised, so the Sun Belt plays in front of MILLIONS more people on ESPN alone.

The answer is simple, yet the same few people keep asking it.

ANY FBS conference is better than the Socon, the SoCon is not even the best FCS conference. There isnt even the possibility of the Socon being close.

Saint3333
December 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Without App and GSU the average attendance for SoCon teams was 9,500 in 2011.

GlassOnion
December 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Without App and GSU the average attendance for SoCon teams was 9,500 in 2011.

That is pitiful. Maybe the Socon can up their attendance average, facilities and exposure by inviting some Texas high schools to replace App and GSU?

GSU Eagle
December 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
It appears the SunBelt must be waiting on the Ga. Southern to end before any invitations are issued. If that is not the issue why hasn't the SunBelt already invited teams? Another veiled reference yesterday by a GSU administrator that this is probably the last shot at winning a championship at the FCS level. I have come to now believe that Appalachian and GSU will both be invited as soon as the GSU season is over (which if we don't play better vs. NDSU than last year may very well be Friday).

appsfan
December 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
GSU Eagle, I think you are right about the timing, I am unsure whether the SBCs plans include App...

dgtw
December 10th, 2012, 04:21 AM
App State would be a geographic outlier in the Sun Belt. That would probably be the biggest hurdle for them, especially for the western members.

PaladinFan
December 10th, 2012, 05:30 AM
That is pitiful. Maybe the Socon can up their attendance average, facilities and exposure by inviting some Texas high schools to replace App and GSU?

I realize that App wants to move out. I still don't think they will be going anywhere, but in the meantime, it really necessary to belittle the rest of the conference schools while waiting? I realize you haven't put any thought into this, but perhaps the other schools contribute to the conference other than just have folks show up on Saturdays for football. If moving to the FBS was solely about game day attendance, would we still be having this conversation?

The frustration with no invite is not the SoCon's fault. The conference is just about as it has always been.

Go Apps
December 10th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Those "weeks" for App fans would be miserable....

I just don't see a better option for them than App...

THere is a much better option staying in the FCS - who the hell wants to play in the miserable SunBelt - I drop my season tickets if they move up - and as I have said before - the costs of tickets will sky rocket - the students will have to start paying a small fee at games - get ready for less than 15k a game for some miserable bowl that nobody cares about - call Marshall and see how they are doing!

boonegoon
December 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I realize that App wants to move out. I still don't think they will be going anywhere, but in the meantime, it really necessary to belittle the rest of the conference schools while waiting? I realize you haven't put any thought into this, but perhaps the other schools contribute to the conference other than just have folks show up on Saturdays for football. If moving to the FBS was solely about game day attendance, would we still be having this conversation?

The frustration with no invite is not the SoCon's fault. The conference is just about as it has always been.

I have to agree with you. I don't think that the size of the crowd makes a school. There are only 1500 students at Wofford. While I look forward to the opportunity of playing the likes of ECU, Marshall and Wake more, I like the rivalries that we have now in the SOCON. I'll pull for every team in the conference, except maybe Elon. Let's not belittle those that we've played for decades just because we are bigger.

cbarrier90
December 10th, 2012, 08:23 AM
THere is a much better option staying in the FCS - who the hell wants to play in the miserable SunBelt - I drop my season tickets if they move up - and as I have said before - the costs of tickets will sky rocket - the students will have to start paying a small fee at games - get ready for less than 15k a game for some miserable bowl that nobody cares about - call Marshall and see how they are doing!

I believe you have "Sun Belt" confused with "SEC."

Call Marshall and see if they want to move back. How about NMSU and Idaho doing all they can to stay afloat at the highest level?

You can't say "The Sun Belt is no better than the FCS" then say "ASU will be lucky to go 6-6." I don't understand why detractors keep using this argument.

Apphole
December 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Good riddance.

"He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery." -Harold Wilson

GlassOnion
December 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM

If you dont want people to post the negatives about the Socon, maybe you should stop posting the negatives of FBS?

I think this is the third time, Ive had this discussion with you, and nothing has changed. Periodically, some people feel the need to try and make themselves feel better, I guess in your case, because FU is stuck in the same rinkadink boat for all time. The Socon still sucks, has no TV, has no fan support, no leadership or vision. Nothing has changed. There is no basis for argument here.

Dont want to hear it? Dont start nothin,' wont be nothin.' If you like the Socon so much, your welcome to it.

asumike83
December 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM

I hope you will reconsider but it is your money to spend as you see fit. The cost increase will likely not be all that steep and ticket prices have been trending upward over the last 5 years even without any changes.

The only way our attendance will dip to anywhere near 15K a game is if we have a long string of futility, regardless of whether it is at the FCS or FBS level. If the scheduling is done properly and we get a home game against ECU, Marshall, Wake, etc. in our first season as an FBS program, season tickets and overall attendance will likely spike. The level of success we have during the transition will dictate whether we can sustain it.

GSU Eagle
December 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
There are a number of Ga. Southern fans who question moving up also, but the reality is our president and new AD are BOTH committed to getting Ga. Southern to the FBS level. If they can swing it and persuade a conference to take us we are moving. The student body has voiced their strong support for this move with voting themselves increased fees. We are expanding our stadium and building a new large "football operations" building. Those things are clearly being done with the idea of moving up.

I will miss the playoffs and will certainly miss games that are within driving distances from Statesboro. But the bottom line is I will support the Eagles wherever they play.

SpeedkingATL
December 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM
There are a number of Ga. Southern fans who question moving up also, but the reality is our president and new AD are BOTH committed to getting Ga. Southern to the FBS level. If they can swing it and persuade a conference to take us we are moving. The student body has voiced their strong support for this move with voting themselves increased fees. We are expanding our stadium and building a new large "football operations" building. Those things are clearly being done with the idea of moving up.

I will miss the playoffs and will certainly miss games that are within driving distances from Statesboro. But the bottom line is I will support the Eagles wherever they play.

That's exactly how I would explain my thoughts on App moving up, especially since many of the road games are easy to get to from Atlanta.

PaladinFan
December 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM

That is more or less the way I see it. If a school can "swing it," then go for it. The question is a simple one - can I afford it? And the follow up - If I can afford it, is someone out there interested? Neither question is a slam dunk.

At the end of the day, the schools will either move up, or they will not. If they move up, they will quickly forget the SoCon, and the SoCon will quickly forget them. If they do not, things will continue to press on. It's just business.

GSU Eagle
December 12th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Who knows if this is true but someone over on our message board is posting that he has heard that the first business day after our season is over the SunBelt will announce 3 new teams (Appalachian, GSU and some unnamed school that has not be mentioned much in regards to SB expansion). We will see if this is true.

Apphole
December 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Who knows if this is true but someone over on our message board is posting that he has heard that the first business day after our season is over the SunBelt will announce 3 new teams (Appalachian, GSU and some unnamed school that has not be mentioned much in regards to SB expansion). We will see if this is true.

I won't believe it till I see a new logo on the field. I STILL have blue balls from all the message board rumors in the spring.

citdog
December 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I won't believe it till I see a new logo on the field. I STILL have blue balls from all the message board rumors in the spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HhhDCEhTM

EagleForever
December 12th, 2012, 07:53 PM
If GSU makes the move, this fan hope App St goes, too. We'd miss the big rivalry!! At this point GA St wouldn't be much of a game for us and it would take years for it to be a real rivalry.

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM

I don't know who this guy is but here is a tweet.

John T. Bennett ‏@BennettJohnT
Report: @winthegame(Satterfield) gets App State head coach job. Look for FBS invite to follow. And a true spread option QB signee after that. #SunBelt

https://twitter.com/BennettJohnT

CID1990
December 13th, 2012, 08:11 AM
The Sun Belt IS a regional conference.
Troy, WKU, Ga So would be great rivalries, certainly no worse than App/Furman.
The Sun Belt has some pretty damn nice stadiums, certainly better than the Socon.
The Sun Belt averages about 20,000 attendance, about 7,000 more per game than the Socon, and that gap will explode when App and GSU leave.
The Sun Belt plays on TV, and actually cuts a check to the members, the Socon cant PAY to get their games televised, so the Sun Belt plays in front of MILLIONS more people on ESPN alone.

The answer is simple, yet the same few people keep asking it.

ANY FBS conference is better than the Socon, the SoCon is not even the best FCS conference. There isnt even the possibility of the Socon being close.

Well we will wish you guys well when you go.

The SoCon was perfectly fine before ASU and GSU (some feel that the departure of Richmond and W&M was more significant than the addition of ASU) and it will be fine after they leave.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM

The SoCon was perfectly fine before ASU and GSU (some feel that the departure of Richmond and W&M was more significant than the addition of ASU) and it will be fine after they leave.

Precisely correct. The SoCon has been around a long time (only three D-1 conferences are older), and they will get along just fine later.

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Precisely correct. The SoCon has been around a long time (only three D-1 conferences are older), and they will get along just fine later.

You are right the SoCon will continue to do just fine as a good FCS conference for small private schools. I think UTC and Western will most likely look for a new FCS conference. Minus GSU and App they would really stick out like a sore thumb.

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTW0GqiQe.w0

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
You are right the SoCon will continue to do just fine as a good FCS conference for small private schools. I think UTC and Western will most likely look for a new FCS conference. Minus GSU and App they would really stick out like a sore thumb.

your football team had a VERY tough time with small and or private schools this season. i understand why you'd be scared to stay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCms3ZG3sao

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2012, 09:42 AM
your football team had a VERY tough time with small and or private schools this season. i understand why you'd be scared to stay.

Quite right. App State had a significantly tougher time with the "small and/or private" schools than the large state schools. The Citadel and Wofford beat them easily, they beat Samford by a field goal, and beat a terrible Furman team by 5 at home. Only against a bad Elon team did App State win by more than a score, and that game was within 5 points until the final three minutes.

Does it really matter how large a school is when it is 11 on 11 between the lines?

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM
We only lost to one small private school this year....

And Wofford didn't beat us "easily." It was a hard fought game till the end. The Citadel game was a blowout, but they are not a small private school.

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM
App fans get tired of traveling to high school stadiums.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 10:05 AM
App fans get tired of traveling to high school stadiums.

same old tired bs from y'all. the shine is off of your program and now you wait like a crackwhore on a street corner all dressed up and waiting for someone.......ANYONE to notice you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dmmHDv-WGQw/TVbsvDUhkzI/AAAAAAAAABc/ddDz6Gep0uY/s1600/tyrone-crackhead-dave-chappelle.jpg

"what's that you say sun belt? come on baby let us in! i'll suck your dick"

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
same old tired bs from y'all. the shine is off of your program and now you wait like a crackwhore on a street corner all dressed up and waiting for someone.......ANYONE to notice you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dmmHDv-WGQw/TVbsvDUhkzI/AAAAAAAAABc/ddDz6Gep0uY/s1600/tyrone-crackhead-dave-chappelle.jpg

"what's that you say sun belt? come on baby let us in! i'll suck your dick"

What does that have to do with our fans not enjoying trips to High School stadiums? You're just lashing out like the vindictive, unwanted mate that you are.

Don't get too upset. It's not you, it's me.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM
What does that have to do with our fans not enjoying trips to High School stadiums? You're just lashing out like the vindictive, unwanted mate that you are.

Don't get too upset. It's not you, it's me.

I don't want you to go. we've outscored you 80-28 in the last six qtrs of football we've played. already got a W marked down for next year.

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I don't want you to go. we've outscored you 80-28 in the last six qtrs of football we've played. already got a W marked down for next year.

I'm more than confident.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM

I'm more than confident.

y'all got whipped so bad by us yosef converted.

http://www.yosefdreams.com/

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Dropping it again since no one responded the first time eh?

So no to the avatar bet? App wins, you change your avatar to a custom image I create for a week. It will be the great tyrant Lincoln wearing an App shirt.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Dropping it again since no one responded the first time eh?

So no to the avatar bet? App wins, you change your avatar to a custom image I create for a week. It will be the great tyrant Lincoln wearing an App shirt.

sure and you have to change yours to a tarheel logo

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 10:26 AM
sure and you have to change yours to a tarheel logo

Deal.

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM

All Time record ASU 29 Cit 12. Real scary.Two wins since 1994, sort of pitiful.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
All Time record ASU 29 Cit 12. Real scary.Two wins since 1994, sort of pitiful.

52-28

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
52-28

Oct 15, 2011 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 49 - 42
Oct 16, 2010 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 39 - 10
Oct 03, 2009 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 30 - 27
Oct 04, 2008 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 47 - 21
Nov 03, 2007 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 45 - 24
Nov 04, 2006 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 42 - 13
Sep 24, 2005 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 45 - 13
Sep 18, 2004 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 28 - 14
Sep 27, 2003 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (L) 21 - 24
Sep 28, 2002 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 37 - 28
Sep 22, 2001 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 8 - 6
Sep 23, 2000 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 61 - 14
Sep 25, 1999 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 51 - 0
Sep 26, 1998 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 26 - 11
Sep 27, 1997 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 40 - 15
Sep 28, 1996 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 34 - 20
Nov 18, 1995 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 28 - 24
Sep 24, 1994 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 56 - 14

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Oct 15, 2011 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 49 - 42
Oct 16, 2010 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 39 - 10
Oct 03, 2009 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 30 - 27
Oct 04, 2008 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 47 - 21
Nov 03, 2007 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 45 - 24
Nov 04, 2006 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 42 - 13
Sep 24, 2005 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 45 - 13
Sep 18, 2004 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 28 - 14
Sep 27, 2003 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (L) 21 - 24
Sep 28, 2002 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 37 - 28
Sep 22, 2001 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 8 - 6
Sep 23, 2000 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 61 - 14
Sep 25, 1999 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 51 - 0
Sep 26, 1998 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 26 - 11
Sep 27, 1997 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 40 - 15
Sep 28, 1996 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 34 - 20
Nov 18, 1995 Appalachian State AT The Citadel (W) 28 - 24
Sep 24, 1994 AT Appalachian State The Citadel (W) 56 - 14

what happened the LAST time again?

walliver
December 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM

I never imageined Yosef as having been trimmed (but I don't really concern myself with Yosef's privates).

Maybe he caught something from his cousin and had to have it trimmed, and decided to go all out. I suspect he really converted to get out of buying Christmas presents for his family.

Skjellyfetti
December 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM
You obviously do spend a great deal of time thinking about Yosefs manscaping.

Winindy
December 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I don't understand leaving FCS for FBS when your school is transferring to anything other than a BCS conference. Where's the benefit for a football school? You get the opportunity to play in a low end bowl game that you will end up losing money on or maybe breaking even on in the best case scenario. You will have a slim chance of playing for a Nat'l championship only if you are undefeated and have a better ranking than another BCS conference champion. How long to you keep the stands full with not much to play for?

The Sun Belt is a beyond low end FBS conference. I'd take an invitation for any sport other than football.

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I don't understand leaving FCS for FBS when your school is transferring to anything other than a BCS conference. Where's the benefit for a football school? You get the opportunity to play in a low end bowl game that you will end up losing money on or maybe breaking even on in the best case scenario. You will have a slim chance of playing for a Nat'l championship only if you are undefeated and have a better ranking than another BCS conference champion. How long to you keep the stands full with not much to play for?

The Sun Belt is a beyond low end FBS conference. I'd take an invitation for any sport other than football.

Same old hot air. It is a higher level of everything (except maybe baseball in which it is a lateral move).

More money, better facilities, better exposure, FBS home games in and out of conference.

By the way, the SunBelt is a really good football conference. Do a little research.

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM

You better get us next year because it will most likely be your last shot, although I anticipate a revenge beat down by the Apps. You really need to get that winning percentage up.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Same old hot air. It is a higher level of everything (except maybe baseball in which it is a lateral move).

More money, better facilities, better exposure, FBS home games in and out of conference.

By the way, the SunBelt is a really good football conference. Do a little research.

that last line made me laugh. you were JUST disparaging how weak it was a year ago.

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
that last line made me laugh. you were JUST disparaging how weak it was a year ago.

No I wasn't.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
You better get us next year because it will most likely be your last shot, although I anticipate a revenge beat down by the Apps. You really need to get that winning percentage up.

can't wait to wave goodbye and FINALLY have the end of your constant whining. you would think that the spanking you took on 15 sept would have taught you some humility.

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM
can't wait to wave goodbye and FINALLY have the end of your constant whining. you would think that the spanking you took on 15 sept would have taught you some humility.

Constant whining? You must be confused. I have always liked playing Citadel and respected their players. I just wish it they could have been a little more competitive.

Winindy
December 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM

I think your definition of "really good" is different than mine. The Sunbelt has 0 teams in the top 25 and are playing in 0 BCS bowl games, and they went 3 and 21 against the BCS schools. But let's say they are "really good." What do those "really good" teams get to play for at the end of the football season?

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Constant whining? You must be confused. I have always liked playing Citadel and respected their players. I just wish it they could have been a little more competitive.

yes CONSTANT WHINING about how you're big time and everyone else is somehow less. how a conference that took you in, against the objections made by longtime members, and instead of remembering that and handling your exit with some class and raising you belittle those with whom you are lucky to be confederated with. you lost on YOUR OWN FIELD this season to two schools whose combined enrollment doesn't equal 4,000. yep you're ready for fbs.

boogereagle
December 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM

I think the Sun Belt is a better conference now than it was. With that said, I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your post. Sadly, looks like our esteemed leadership is following the dubious lead of a vocal segment of our fan base and putting us into the supposedly better waters of FBS via the Sun Belt.

boogereagle
December 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Talk about same old hot air.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Talk about same old hot air.

The Sun Belt has a TV deal, for which it is paid, and they divy up the money among its members. They are broadcast worldwide.

The SoCon HAD a nation wide deal for which it paid out 1/4 of a million dollars, TAKING money from its members. THEN, the SoCon had a free PBS deal, viewed in only 4 1/2 states. That deal was then CANCELLED because member schools didnt draw enough interest to carry their own states enough for PBS, so NOBODY got a deal.

Its not hot air, is BS.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
The Sun Belt has a TV deal, for which it is paid, and they divy up the money among its members. They are broadcast worldwide.

The SoCon HAD a nation wide deal for which it paid out 1/4 of a million dollars, TAKING money from its members. THEN, the SoCon had a free PBS deal, viewed in only 4 1/2 states. That deal was then CANCELLED because member schools didnt draw enough interest to carry their own states enough for PBS, so NOBODY got a deal.

Its not hot air, is BS.

why is it so important to you to have wal mart fans?

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM
yes CONSTANT WHINING about how you're big time and everyone else is somehow less. how a conference that took you in, against the objections made by longtime members, and instead of remembering that and handling your exit with some class and raising you belittle those with whom you are lucky to be confederated with. you lost on YOUR OWN FIELD this season to two schools whose combined enrollment doesn't equal 4,000. yep you're ready for fbs.

App fans don't belittle the SoCon until you rubes spend page after page insulting our decision to move up, our potential conference and everything about the process. It's funny how you cry foul and play the victim, yet have no qualms with hurling every insult you can towards a conference that is head and shoulders above the SoCon in every way.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM

I have no problem with Appalachian merchandise being sold in every Walmart west of Greensboro. The more people that buy, the more resources my school has, the more resources my school has, the better the facilities, the better the facilities, the better the students, the better the students, the better the graduates, the better the graduates, the better the alumni base, the better the alumni base, the better the giving, the better the giving the better ther resources... and so on and so forth.

If other schools are happy where theyre at, well bully for you.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
App fans don't belittle the SoCon until you rubes spend page after page insulting our decision to move up, our potential conference and everything about the process. It's funny how you cry foul and play the victim, yet have no qualms with hurling every insult you can towards a conference that is head and shoulders above the SoCon in every way.

bull****. just leave and get it over with or stfu. it was only THIS year that the sun blech passed over a couple of FCS conferences in sagarin ratings. that's REALLY sad considering.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM
bull****. just leave and get it over with or stfu. it was only THIS year that the sun blech passed over a couple of FCS conferences in sagarin ratings. that's REALLY sad considering.

Maybe the Citadel should join the Belt then? Better chances of playing in a bowl then getting into the FCS playoffs.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe the Citadel should join the Belt then? Better chances of playing in a bowl then getting into the FCS playoffs.

we played football at a higher level than that for 50 years.

gsu_paintballer
December 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Weird. Normally you're obsessed with history. Guess things change when it doesn't work in your favor.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
we played football at a higher level than that for 50 years.

Oh thats right, sorry, I was just blinded by the irrelevancy cloak The Citadel's been sporting for nearly two decades.

cbarrier90
December 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM

You should know by now with conference shuffling that on-field results have absolutely nothing to do with being FBS-ready.

And once again, that last sentence brings out the SoCon mentality: You can't say that enrollment, facilities don't matter when we're always championing them then play the whole underdog card when the "little guy" wins to disparage our FBS aspirations. You sound like a Wofford fan.

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 12:36 PM

God forbid a conference trends upwards. And big surprise that a curmudgeon from South Carolina is oblivious/resistant to change.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Anyone else hear a bugle sound retreat??

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Weird. Normally you're obsessed with history. Guess things change when it doesn't work in your favor.

damn it paintballer don't make me turn these on y'all. i am trying to root for you this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKK0ved53Ck

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Oh thats right, sorry, I was just blinded by the irrelevancy cloak The Citadel's been sporting for nearly two decades.

shook that cloak off quite gallantly in 2012. the 'Dogs are thrusting in 2013.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:46 PM
You should know by now with conference shuffling that on-field results have absolutely nothing to do with being FBS-ready.

And once again, that last sentence brings out the SoCon mentality: You can't say that enrollment, facilities don't matter when we're always championing them then play the whole underdog card when the "little guy" wins to disparage our FBS aspirations. You sound like a Wofford fan.

actually you can't say they DO. because this season it didn't.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM

About time they got it up.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Anyone else hear a bugle sound retreat??

retreat hell!

http://www.trevilianstation.org/images/Charge.jpg

The Moody1
December 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM

All those knobs better watch each others back.

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
All those knobs better watch each others back.

at app the students don't use soap. at El Cid they're afraid to drop it. Which is worse?

Apphole
December 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
at app the students don't use soap. at El Cid they're afraid to drop it. Which is worse?

I'd rather be stinky than butt-raped. Was that a hard decision for you? xlolx

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'd rather be stinky than butt-raped. Was that a hard decision for you? xlolx

nah nobody wanted me......they were afraid they might catch the Jew.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM
nah nobody wanted me......they were afraid they might catch the Jew.

Whats he doing in there?

citdog
December 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM
God forbid a conference trends upwards. And big surprise that a curmudgeon from South Carolina is oblivious/resistant to change.

as has been pointed out to me........one year doesn't make a trend.

CID1990
December 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Come on down to Chucktown next season, then. We will be markedly improved over this year.

I'm calling 8 wins for next season, and I am generally OL FU-ish in my estimates, not Chattownmocs-ish.

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Ugh. Welcome to 2009, when this discussion first started. Tell us how many FCS schools made money or broke even...

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Fans on an anonymous message board does not equal the "people that matter" leaving with class. I can assure you that ASU's admin will not degrade the SoCon, or it's members, the way some do on message boards. Surely, you can recognize the difference. BTW, losing to Citadel has not bearing on being ready for FBS or not.

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think the Sun Belt is a better conference now than it was. With that said, I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your post. Sadly, looks like our esteemed leadership is following the dubious lead of a vocal segment of our fan base and putting us into the supposedly better waters of FBS via the Sun Belt.

I trust our "esteemed leadership" more than I do anonymous message board posters, just sayin...

boogereagle
December 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I have no problem with Appalachian merchandise being sold in every Walmart west of Greensboro. The more people that buy, the more resources my school has, the more resources my school has, the better the facilities, the better the facilities, the better the students, the better the students, the better the graduates, the better the graduates, the better the alumni base, the better the alumni base, the better the giving, the better the giving the better ther resources... and so on and so forth.If other schools are happy where theyre at, well bully for you.

Kudos. That's like a messageboard circle of life for pro-FBS'ers.

Me, I think it would be more reasonable to expect the more you have to cost you every bit of what you may gain.

boogereagle
December 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I trust our "esteemed leadership" more than I do anonymous message board posters, just sayin...

Oh, I wasn't referring to appy. And I'm not anonymous. I'm boogereagle to you.

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Oh, I wasn't referring to appy. And I'm not anonymous. I'm boogereagle to you.

Duly noted.

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Why would you NOT want "Walmart fans?" The more fans, the better.

boogereagle
Fans on an anonymous message board does not equal the "people that matter" leaving with class. I can assure you that ASU's admin will not degrade the SoCon, or it's members, the way some do on message boards. Surely, you can recognize the difference. BTW, losing to Citadel has not bearing on being ready for FBS or not.

Well, our esteemed leader has already busted on FCS pretty good. And why do people who post on messageboards degrade people on messageboards whenever the message is one they don't want to hear? We're all just livin ' vicariously ....
Of course, some live more vicariously than others.

ASUMountaineer

I hear ya...Citadel's win over ASU this season is not a trend. There, we agree. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
December 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Well, our esteemed leader has already busted on FCS pretty good. And why do people who post on messageboards degrade people on messageboards whenever the message is one they don't want to hear? We're all just livin ' vicariously ....
Of course, some live more vicariously than others.

I don't follow GSU's "esteemed leader" enough to know what he has said, which is why I posted about ASU's.

I'm not sure if the second part of your post is in response to mine, but I didn't degrade my fellow Southern patriot/lover of things kosher friend Citdog. Citdog and I are cool...no homo.

GlassOnion
December 13th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Kudos. That's like a messageboard circle of life for pro-FBS'ers.

Me, I think it would be more reasonable to expect the more you have to cost you every bit of what you may gain.

Chancellor Peacock just raised $148 million out of thin air, and has bettered Appalachian in every category despite tremendous budgetary crunches in his tenure. He's a brilliant business man, and I trust he knows more about what he's doing that you.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/ASU-campaign-surpasses-148M-id-009848

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/2x0ez.jpg

GSU Eagle
December 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Is there any credible information coming out of Appalachian of a press conference sometime this coming week about invitations to the SunBelt?

Saint3333
December 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
App is tight lipped on anything related to conference movement.

gsu_paintballer
December 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM
App is tight lipped on anything related to conference movement.

As they should be.