PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Moore, Kenneth Peacock Trade Statements

Mr. C
December 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM
There is a war of words brewing at Appalachian State between former football coach Jerry Moore and Dr. Kenneth Peacock:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/659-asu-chancellor-jerry-moore-trade-statements-about-football-coach-s-dismissal

citdog
December 5th, 2012, 10:07 PM
There is a war of words brewing at Appalachian State between former football coach Jerry Moore and Dr. Kenneth Peacock:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/659-asu-chancellor-jerry-moore-trade-statements-about-football-coach-s-dismissal

I believe Jerry Moore.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I believe Jerry Moore.

It's a little more complex than that, but this is starting to get ugly because the AD made some bonehead decisions and even worse statements, trying to explain things. I guess Ken Peacock supports that, too.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Here is our story from Tuesday on the Jerry Moore situation:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/656-the-sunrise-comes-unexpectedly-for-applachian-state-s-jerry-moorehttp://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/656-the-sunrise-comes-unexpectedly-for-applachian-state-s-jerry-moore

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Good for Dr. Peacock.

citdog
December 5th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Good for Dr. Peacock.

don't like cats who call themselves "Chancellor"

it's too much like

http://themoderatevoice.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/05/AdolphHitlerSpeech.gif

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2012, 10:46 PM
don't like cats who call themselves "Chancellor"

it's too much like

http://themoderatevoice.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/05/AdolphHitlerSpeech.gif

Yeah, I got a red "x" in a box, but your sarcasm shone though alright.

UNAPride
December 5th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Well, yuck. I don't keep up with App. State, but this is interesting to read about. Congrats to Moore on his iconic run for ASU! Thoughts are with the AppState Nation on what has to be a pretty tough weekend.

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Tough but exciting. There are alot of big changes coming in this off season. Might even get a big Christmas gift most of us have been wanting.

citdog
December 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Tough but exciting. There are alot of big changes coming in this off season. Might even get a big Christmas gift most of us have been wanting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOCNY9pJ850

Mr. C
December 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Good for Dr. Peacock.

Good? This whole thing has been a PR disaster for App State, regardless whether you support the move, or not. They should have waited until today to have Coach Moore back in town and then they could have gotten their stories straight and had one show of unity on everything. This has just been bad from the start.

Side Judge
December 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Socks?

Gringer1
December 5th, 2012, 11:02 PM
" A year ago Mr. Cobb presented Coach Moore with a written communication telling him it was time to end his coaching career at Appalachian and offered him a three-year commitment in a different role at a six-figure salary. In a subsequent memo to me dated December 31, 2011, Mr. Cobb indicated Coach Moore declined the offer and instead requested a final year as head coach for the 2012 season."

Even if Moore agreed that this would be his last year, they just admitted that they made him retire.

T-Dog
December 5th, 2012, 11:05 PM
The reason Peacock released his statement is because one idiot on AppFan posted his personal cell phone number and he started getting angry phone calls.

I understand Cobb wanting to do this as far as possible from signing day, but it wasn't perfect by any means.

WataugaDave
December 5th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Peacock recently rejected a faculty grievance committee's ruling on the situation with Dr. Price's dismissal, which is pretty big news on campus. Apparently, it's cool to dismiss professors without giving them due process. Also, it's now cool for an outside company to handle "grievances" against faculty members without giving said faculty the right to face their accusers. He also broke the promise he made to the Student Government to "make every effort" to avoid raising tuition by keeping three new athletic tutor positions that were cut from the state budget. He's left this campus with very little reason to trust him.

I believe Coach Moore. I'll believe him over Peacock, Cobb, or any of the Charlotte and Raleigh-based millionaires that sit on the Board of Trustees.

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Socks?

Why the hell would we want socks? We only wear shoes on Sunday, what a friggan waste.

T-Dog
December 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Dr Price is a nut and the only reason the faculty supported her is because it threatens her tenure, which IMO shouldn't exist. She left UNCW on bad terms for similar reasons.

As far as the Office of the Ombud. Good. The sexual assault cases were a black eye to the university in many ways due to the bumbles of certain administrators.

About raising tuition. No chancellor could have avoided the budget crunch from the last four years. Balancing the wants of the UNC System and the needs of the ASU community isn't easy.

GlassOnion
December 5th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I agree. Chancellor Peacock is as good a Chancellor as Appalachian will ever see.

texcap
December 5th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Good? This whole thing has been a PR disaster for App State, regardless whether you support the move, or not. They should have waited until today to have Coach Moore back in town and then they could have gotten their stories straight and had one show of unity on everything. This has just been bad from the start.

All I know is what little I have read about the situation, but it seems to me that ASU couldn't wait until today since Coach Moore immediately after the game was talking about next year. Whether someone agrees with the decision last year to force Coach Moore out it appears that there was an agreement that this would be Coach Moore's last year, and despite what he implied in his WSJ interview, he was part of that conversation.

I think everyone respects all that Coach Moore has done for the App State program, but it appears that he wanted to take this to the media and did so.

Let me ask you a serious question, If we assume that Cobb and Peacock are correct about what transpired last year, what should ASU should have done once Coach Moore started talking to the media as if their agreement didn't exist?

CopperCat
December 6th, 2012, 01:14 AM
What is going on here? Moore is suddenly gone because Cobb just wanted a change? For what!? The dude won three national championships in a row!!!

Eagle22
December 6th, 2012, 06:00 AM
What is going on here? Moore is suddenly gone because Cobb just wanted a change? For what!? The dude won three national championships in a row!!!

The problem is it wasn't 2009, 2010 and 2011 ;)

Like Paul Johnson used to say, all you have to do is win each Saturday to keep the fans happy.

eaglewraith
December 6th, 2012, 06:53 AM
What is it that App fans said to us about getting rid of a really good coach that didn't measure up to past performances?

RadioFan
December 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM
What is it that App fans said to us about getting rid of a really good coach that didn't measure up to past performances?

That really wasn't the issue. I think the App administration is thinking a FBS invite is coming soon. They are looking at the long term knowing that it'd be hard to recruit for FBS when the recruits know the HC wouldn't be there in the long term.

The administration wanted to move forward with their plans rather than wait one more year (maybe more).

It sucks all the way around that this happened. I've been watching App games since 1990 and Coach Moore was the only coach I knew.

I'm cautiously hopeful that this will smooth out in the end.

eaglewraith
December 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
That really wasn't the issue. I think the App administration is thinking a FBS invite is coming soon. They are looking at the long term knowing that it'd be hard to recruit for FBS when the recruits know the HC wouldn't be there in the long term.

The administration wanted to move forward with their plans rather than wait one more year (maybe more).

It sucks all the way around that this happened. I've been watching App games since 1990 and Coach Moore was the only coach I knew.

I'm cautiously hopeful that this will smooth out in the end.

But the way this was handled can affect getting a new coach. Hell, we almost didn't get Monken after how the Hatcher firing was handled.

A graceful transition would have made the difference.

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
From an outsiders point of view, here's why I believe Coach Moore

Mr. Adcock said he spoke to Coach Moore this past July out of admiration and a desire to appropriately recognize him in his retirement. Coach Moore asked him when he should announce his retirement—at the start or conclusion of the 2012 season. Mr. Adcock deferred to the university’s administration.

This has previously been couched as "everybody decided not to announce the decision that this would be Coach Moore's last year" - that included Coach Moore.

Now, the Chancellor's statement says "Coach Moore didn't know what to do and it was up to the administration as to when to announce it."

So, if you believe the current set of facts coming from the ASU administration, then Coach Moore was told to get lost (from the HC position) before the 2012 season, after he talked them into staying on one more year, the administration was given the opportunity to announce his retirement and honor his accomplishments, but chose to sit on it. Why? Also, if this was their agreement, why did they need to meet the morning after that heart wrenching loss and right before Coach Moore was leaving on a trip?

I don't think Peacock's comments did anything but make this stink a little bit more. I also think Coach Moore's being too nice to Charlie Cobb, but that's obviously just his personality.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Some people are clearly forgetting what the offseason was like at App last year and I'm not talking about the results on the field. Due to those events a plan was presented to Moore, he then provided a counter offer and it was accepted.

Coach asked for one more season and he received it. Time to celebrate his past and look to the future.

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Some people are clearly forgetting what the offseason was like at App last year and I'm not talking about the results on the field. Due to those events a plan was presented to Moore, he then provided a counter offer and it was accepted.

Coach asked for one more season and he received it. Time to celebrate his past and look to the future.

But if that was the case, why didn't the administration, when given the opportunity, announce it and give Moore a "proper" sendoff? I would imagine that the scene Saturday afternoon would have been pretty moving and much appreciated by Coach Moore if the crowd knew it was his last game.

EDIT: Also, if that was the case, there was no point in meeting on Sunday morning. Everybody knew what was going to happen, right?

cbarrier90
December 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
But if that was the case, why didn't the administration, when given the opportunity, announce it and give Moore a "proper" sendoff? I would imagine that the scene Saturday afternoon would have been pretty moving and much appreciated by Coach Moore if the crowd knew it was his last game.

Because Coach Moore didn't want that, and wanted the focus to be on his players. A move that has now backfired.

Cobb and Peacock did their part to send him out gracefully, but Jerry is not going quietly.

Once you have Coaches dictating when they can and can't leave over the AD and Chancellor, you have a problem.

WataugaDave
December 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Dr Price is a nut and the only reason the faculty supported her is because it threatens her tenure, which IMO shouldn't exist. She left UNCW on bad terms for similar reasons.
Nut or not, it seems like a reasonable request to NOT be suspended without due process. Sounds like a basic academic freedom thing to me.

As far as the Office of the Ombud. Good. The sexual assault cases were a black eye to the university in many ways due to the bumbles of certain administrators.
I'm talking about EthicsPoint, an outside company that will now "handle" anonymous complaints for the University.

No chancellor could have avoided the budget crunch from the last four years. Balancing the wants of the UNC System and the needs of the ASU community isn't easy.
Of course some cuts had to be made. But it seems ridiculous to pay for these new tutor positions that the UNC system is no longer paying for, especially when student requests like 24/5 library hours are ignored.

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Because Coach Moore didn't want that, and wanted the focus to be on his players. A move that has now backfired.

Cobb and Peacock did their part to send him out gracefully, but Jerry is not going quietly.

Once you have Coaches dictating when they can and can't leave over the AD and Chancellor, you have a problem.

But that's not what Peacock's statement said. It said that Coach Moore didn't know when to announce it and that it was left up to the administration...

That's why I say that Peacock's statement didn't do much to clarify this. I was leaning more towards the admins point of view before that came out.

cbarrier90
December 6th, 2012, 08:13 AM
But that's not what Peacock's statement said. It said that Coach Moore didn't know when to announce it and that it was left up to the administration...

That's why I say that Peacock's statement didn't do much to clarify this. I was leaning more towards the admins point of view before that came out.

Peacock's statement is news to me...

Right move, terrible execution.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I have in the last few days lost any respect i ever had for peacock...
hated cobb more and more... he never gained my respect from the day he walked on campus in 05 he was all about him self and he has proven incompetent time and again in the hirings and firings of coaches...
Coach Moore is a good man... whether it was time or not for him to go (it wasnt) this could have been handled better... he deserves better... he earned my respect and still has it... if the decision was made a year ago then it should have been discussed over time between January and now... too many holes in these statements...
I am a member of coach Moore's church and know what kind of heartfelt sincere man he is... it makes my stomach churn to see how this was handled... shame on you peacock, shame on you cobb...

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
hated cobb more and more... he never gained my respect from the day he walked on campus in 05 he was all about him self and he has proven incompetent time and again in the hirings and firings of coaches...
Coach Moore is a good man... whether it was time or not for him to go (it wasnt) this could have been handled better... he deserves better... he earned my respect and still has it... if the decision was made a year ago then it should have been discussed over time between January and now... too many holes in these statements...
I am a member of coach Moore's church and know what kind of heartfelt sincere man he is... it makes my stomach churn to see how this was handled... shame on you peacock, shame on you cobb...

aaaaaaand that's when you nullified your opinion.

Look, this is a business and while it could have been executed better when it came to Cobb's communication with the public, it WAS the right move to make. It is possible to love and respect coach Moore yet still be objective enough to see the situation for what it is. I'm sure your congregation was abuzz with indictments of Cobb and foul crying about how unfair, sinful and deplorable the "ousting" of your favorite coach/evangelist was, but once you read Peacock's statement, it should put all the conspiracy theories to rest.

I had just as much respect for Peacock that I did for Moore and I still do in the wake of all this. Now Cobb, Cobb is just plain clumsy when it comes to public communication.

Gringer1
December 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I needed a little visual aid to understand this dispute.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/Icemonk_2008/CobbPeacock.png

walliver
December 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Peacock's response contains only 2d hand information. Apparently he never spoke to Jerry Moore.

It seems that everybody assumed that there was an agreement, but disagree about the nature of that agreement.

PhillyApp1
December 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM

EDIT: Also, if that was the case, there was no point in meeting on Sunday morning. Everybody knew what was going to happen, right?

You need to know more behind the scenes info to accurately have an opinion. Coach Moore is playing passive/aggressive. Coach Moore asked for no last year celebration and had choices given to him after many years of internal unrest this past January. JM knows the truth and in the end acted like he didn't know it was coming. JM had 11 months to get adjusted to this and in the end JM has polluted his retirement

PhillyApp1
December 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM

I am sorry for your heartfelt feelings but JM did this to himself...I guess because you went to church with him and he is a nice man, that JM doesn't make mistakes or isn't hardheaded about some things....Please open your eyes and read ALL the documented thing over the last several years and pray for coach Moore to exit with dignity because CC and KP are really taking the high road, if you know the internal things....And you should pray even harder for the son he protected over and over who is a grown man with some serious problems......We all wish JM the best and KNOW he is a good man but JM made this situation.

mcveyrl
December 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
You need to know more behind the scenes info to accurately have an opinion. Coach Moore is playing passive/aggressive. Coach Moore asked for no last year celebration and had choices given to him after many years of internal unrest this past January. JM knows the truth and in the end acted like he didn't know it was coming. JM had 11 months to get adjusted to this and in the end JM has polluted his retirement

No, I can have an opinion based on what I know. That's the point of an opinion. To me, my opinion is accurate based on what I've got. Now, you may discredit my opinion because of some kind of insider information you've got, but I'm not changing my opinion based on an internet insider.

Having said that, I still respect ASU as a school and athletic program, I just find it interesting how this has been handled. No reasonable person can say that Cobb's statement and Peacock's statement are consistent with each other. In the long run, will that matter, probably not.

It's still fishy to me that something that was planned for a year had to be confirmed by an 8 o'clock meeting on Sunday morning, before Moore was scheduled to leave. What's the inside explanation on that? Did Moore call that meeting? Nobody's really explained that. Again, the long term implications for ASU are minimal.

I really don't think this will ultimately tarnish Moore's relationship with ASU. Neither side throws away 24 years over something like this.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I really don't think this will ultimately tarnish Moore's relationship with ASU. Neither side throws away 24 years over something like this.

That's what it sure seems like to me.

asumike83
December 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM
The Watauga Democrat article from last night by Steve Behr: http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/Update-Moore-Peacock-react-to-decision-id-009830

Really sounds like a breakdown in communication on both ends. Once a new coach is hired, the program will begin to move forward.

SoCon48
December 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
No, I can have an opinion based on what I know. That's the point of an opinion. To me, my opinion is accurate based on what I've got. Now, you may discredit my opinion because of some kind of insider information you've got, but I'm not changing my opinion based on an internet insider.

Having said that, I still respect ASU as a school and athletic program, I just find it interesting how this has been handled. No reasonable person can say that Cobb's statement and Peacock's statement are consistent with each other. In the long run, will that matter, probably not.

It's still fishy to me that something that was planned for a year had to be confirmed by an 8 o'clock meeting on Sunday morning, before Moore was scheduled to leave. What's the inside explanation on that? Did Moore call that meeting? Nobody's really explained that. Again, the long term implications for ASU are minimal.

The 8 O'Clock may have been held so they could interview Shawn Elliot later that day...which they did.

SoCon48
December 6th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I agree. Chancellor Peacock is as good a Chancellor as Appalachian will ever see.

And Jerry Moore may be the best coach we will ever have. In fact better than most any school will ever have based on his career record.

GlassOnion
December 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
And Jerry Moore may be the best coach we will ever have. In fact better than most any school will ever have based on his career record.

At least our next coach wont hire his son and promote him from nothing to one of the highest paid coachs on staff in a handful of years. Jerry Moores made that abundantly clear.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Remember how you App. fans made fun of GSU for firing a coach after losing the first playoff game?

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Remember how you App. fans made fun of GSU for firing a coach after losing the first playoff game?

Was it three years in a row/was the man 73 years old/was there a series of scandals the year before?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Was it three years in a row/was the man 73 years old/was there a series of scandals the year before?

You haven't been 1-and-out 3 years in a row. For us it was 2 years of losing in the first round and one before those with no playoffs at all.

There was the issue of APR scores, players getting into trouble, and the whole issue with Sewak firing Erk's son.

And unless JM is starting to show signs of Alzheimers what difference does the age make?

asumike83
December 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
You haven't lost 3 playoff games in a row. For us it was 2 years of losing in the first round and one before those with no playoffs at all.

Yes, we have lost three playoff games in a row. All at home, two by 20+ points.

Regardless, the situation was not as simple as W-L record. I think that JM actually did a nice job with a young team this year.

With all the impending changes and other things that happened behind the scenes, I think the time was right. I just don't think the message was delivered very well at all.

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM
And unless JM is starting to show signs of Alzheimers what difference does the age make?

Who's to say he wasn't, honestly. I've heard several speeches and interviews of the last few years that were damn near incomprehensible.

GlassOnion
December 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Nice. There was a bitter old man argument, now a confused old man argument. Which is worse?

AppChicago
December 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM
So we're throwing Jerry Moore under the bus now?

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM
So we're throwing Jerry Moore under the bus now?

He was a saint and a legend, but no one is perfect.

Just explaining why what happened happened. I would assume anyone that didn't have a stomach for it wouldn't read the thread.

SpeedkingATL
December 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM
No argument with the decision but like so many other things that have come out of ASU lately the execution of communication to the public has been very poor. Does the university have a Director of Communications?? If not, App needs one!

I also wonder how many of the App fans that are so shocked that Jerry is gone would have been complaining if he had had his contract extended for another year?? I was a little surprised that he returned for 2012 considering all the turmoil in the program in 2010 and 2011.

Time to honor Jerry somehow, try and make him a continuing part of the App family and move on. God help the next Head Coach if he goes below 8-3 next year after all this!

'neers80
December 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
At least our next coach wont hire his son and promote him from nothing to one of the highest paid coachs on staff in a handful of years. Jerry Moores made that abundantly clear.

xdeadhorsex

BwaaaHahahaha lol - you are killing me - unbelievable

AppChicago
December 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
He was a saint and a legend, but no one is perfect.

Just explaining why what happened happened. I would assume anyone that didn't have a stomach for it wouldn't read the thread.

The stomach for what? This mess has devolved from "He's a good man, but when it's time, it's time." to implications about his mental health. And all he ever did for us was bring us records that ranged, in recent memory, from legendary to well-above-average.

Weak.

citdog
December 6th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I think that Jerry Moore now knows what Ceasar felt like.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r-NP6ITrKxo/T2HqY8_pIlI/AAAAAAAAA5g/wSPT_HW9LNU/s1600/ides_of_march+02.jpg

AppChicago
December 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
No argument with the decision but like so many other things that have come out of ASU lately the execution of communication to the public has been very poor. Does the university have a Director of Communications?? If not, App needs one!

Sure it does. Any university its size has a considerable number of marcom professionals. That doesn't mean they're always consulted before messaging is crafted.

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
The stomach for what? This mess has devolved from "He's a good man, but when it's time, it's time." to implications about his mental health. And all he ever did for us was bring us records that ranged, in recent memory, from legendary to well-above-average.

Weak.

Yes, he did all that. We are eternally grateful, but **** happens and the times they are a-changin'.

Never made any assertions about his mental health. My grandmother is a wonderful woman, but she's lost a good bit of her mental sharpness as the years have gone by. Does this mean she has a mental health problem?

He is a good man. When it's time, it's time. And it's time because of all the things people have mentioned that you're having difficulty not getting upset about.

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sure it does. Any university its size has a considerable number of marcom professionals. That doesn't mean they're always consulted before messaging is crafted.

I work in PR/Communications (at this point in my life) and I've been bitching about the failures of whoever is responsible for such things in the ASU athletic department for over a year now. I still don't think this foul up is anywhere close to how poorly the alleged rape scandal in the off season was handled, com wise. People should have been fired.

AppChicago
December 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Never made any assertions about his mental health. My grandmother is a wonderful woman, but she's lost a good bit of her mental sharpness as the years have gone by. Does this mean she has a mental health problem?

Semantics. My point is that he's earned the right to a few less-than-epic seasons without anyone insinuating that it's because he's demonstrating symptoms of Alzheimer's.

I work in PR/Communications (at this point in my life) and I've been bitching about the failures of whoever is responsible for such things in the ASU athletic department for over a year now.

I work in a related field, and it seems to me that there's definitely either a lack of strategy or, more likely, a lack of discipline across the units in adhering to PR protocols.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2012, 01:20 PM
One thing I've learned from this thread is that App has some real scumbags in the fold. It's funny how one year you can defend the man, and the next use the actual things you used to defend on against him.

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Semantics. My point is that he's earned the right to a few less-than-epic seasons without anyone insinuating that it's because he's demonstrating symptoms of Alzheimer's.

I hear ya man. I hope you don't think I'm somehow devaluing coach Moore's service to this school. I just doubt that there was any way possible to end coach's tenure without ruffling his or other people's feathers. People, including me, have already mentioned the many reasons it was time to move on, so I don't feel like rehashing them. It was a good bit more than a few less-than-epic seasons. It was the correct decision. Now when it comes to Cobb and the communication with the public about the whole thing, there is plenty to complain about.

I work in a related field, and it seems to me that there's definitely either a lack of strategy or, more likely, a lack of discipline across the units in adhering to PR protocols.
Oh clearly. It's like everything takes them by surprise and they have to scramble to address the crisis instead of having a plan in place/predicting media and public fallout. I would really like the actual Com department of the University to advise them at times. As a fairly recent graduate, I'm pretty confident they could help these idiots.

For god sakes how hard is it to draft a press release with all the loose ends tied up before you let Cobb speak to the the media in his typical ambiguous style, especially if you knew Moore was less than pleased with the result. It's not brain surgery. There are some tough PR nightmares out there for practitioners to deal with. This isn't one of them. Novice stuff.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Oh clearly. It's like everything takes them by surprise and they have to scramble to address the crisis instead of having a plan in place/predicting media and public fallout. I would really like the actual Com department of the University to advise them at times. As a fairly recent graduate, I'm pretty confident they could help these idiots.

For god sakes how hard is it to draft a press release with all the loose ends tied up before you let Cobb speak to the the media in his typical ambiguous style, especially if you knew Moore was less than pleased with the result. It's not brain surgery. There are some tough PR nightmares out there to for practitioners to deal with. This isn't one of them. Novice stuff.

Maybe it just seemed like novice stuff since everyone was in such a rush on a Sunday evening to throw Jerry under the bus when he was on his way to a flight to New York City.

GlassOnion
December 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
One thing I've learned from this thread is that App has some real scumbags in the fold. It's funny how one year you can defend the man, and the next use the actual things you used to defend on against him.

Thats the last thing we should be hearing, criticism on how App is handling the situation from Montana. Jerry Moore has had his own share of scandals and problems, but instead of pinning it to his chest and throwing him overboard like Montana did the App administration took corrective action and gave Jerry Moore the opportunity to go out as he should have, on top. Jerry Moore threw the administration under the bus, not the other way around. Charlie Cobb and Dr Peacock are every bit as good of men as Jerry Moore. And while their announcement might not have been great, at least they didnt make a federal case out of it.

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Maybe it just seemed like novice stuff since everyone was in such a rush on a Sunday evening to throw Jerry under the bus when he was on his way to a flight to New York City.

What? What are you talking about?

All the anger from App fans was directed at Cobb and Peacock and in support of Moore.

You've lost a lot of credibility in my book with the past few days of your posting with this shot and your jealous and vindictive SunBelt Bowl thread.

PaulsonStadium
December 6th, 2012, 01:39 PM
http://www.giflet.com/storage/32000/80/1e1aa4f4bd4eace0decf1cd9282dd001.gif

asumike83
December 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM
What I find most interesting about the whole situation is that on a scale of 1 to 10, the emotion level of Cobb, Peacock and Coach Moore seems to be at about a 4 while App fans, regardless of their opinion, are around 9.5.

We will hire a new coach, the program will move forward and once all of this settles down, Coach Moore will be honored on campus and remain a legendary figure in Appalachian football history.

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
What I find most interesting about the whole situation is that on a scale of 1 to 10, the emotion level of Cobb, Peacock and Coach Moore seems to be at about a 4 while App fans, regardless of their opinion, are around 9.5.

We will hire a new coach, the program will move forward and once all of this settles down, Coach Moore will be honored on campus and remain a legendary figure in Appalachian football history.

Mellow-dramatic fanbase. Bad in times like this. Good on third down at the Rock.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Thats the last thing we should be hearing, criticism on how App is handling the situation from Montana. Jerry Moore has had his own share of scandals and problems, but instead of pinning it to his chest and throwing him overboard like Montana did the App administration took corrective action and gave Jerry Moore the opportunity to go out as he should have, on top. Jerry Moore threw the administration under the bus, not the other way around. Charlie Cobb and Dr Peacock are every bit as good of men as Jerry Moore. And while their announcement might not have been great, at least they didnt make a federal case out of it.

Sure thing man. Of course I wasn't just talking about the administration here. And is most certainly not the last thing you should be hearing from anyone. You said Montana but I'm not in the administration and made no determinations that you just spoke of.

Anyway, I ain't gonna argue what this all looks like with ya. Keep on keepin' on boys.xthumbsupx

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM
aaaand there was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtRMwwDP2Y&feature=player_embedded

http://www.thelifestream.net/forums/images/smilies/TripleFacePalm.jpg

appfan2008
December 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Who's to say he wasn't, honestly. I've heard several speeches and interviews of the last few years that were damn near incomprehensible.

What is your problem with the man? Did he not win enough for you? Was he not a good leader? Did he not mold student athletes in a positive way? Or was the fact that he was "incomprehensible" in interviews enough for you to agree with cobb/peacock to fire the man?

PaulsonStadium
December 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM
C'Mon Man! You're ESPN!

appfan2008
December 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM
For god sakes how hard is it to draft a press release with all the loose ends tied up before you let Cobb speak to the the media in his typical ambiguous style, especially if you knew Moore was less than pleased with the result. It's not brain surgery. There are some tough PR nightmares out there for practitioners to deal with. This isn't one of them. Novice stuff.

Now this is something that we can totally agree with... There are many pieces of information that are he said he said... They need to be straightened out... It would be best if the 3 men could sit down get there stories straight each apologize for a few things and have a press conference that clarifies each of the issues... In that presser you can announce Jerry's new position and where cobb is in the hiring process... come together and make it right...

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM
What is your problem with the man? Did he not win enough for you? Was he not a good leader? Did he not mold student athletes in a positive way? Or was the fact that he was "incomprehensible" in interviews enough for you to agree with cobb/peacock to fire the man?

Are you serious? I know and respect the man more than you can even know, buddy.

Are you a woman? You seem to be on an emotional roller coaster ride. Let me know when that's over and we can rationally discuss the reasons it was time for Coach to hang it up at ASU.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Are you serious? I know and respect the man more than you can even know, buddy.

Are you a woman? You seem to be on an emotional roller coaster ride. Let me know when that's over and we can rationally discuss the reasons it was time for Coach to hang it up at ASU.

I don't disagree that it may have been time... That is most certainly not my issue... I just feel that if he wanted another year what warrants him not getting another year?... Why did Cobb feel that he had to make this change now?... To me he has done anything and everything that could have ever been asked of him for this university and in return he seems to be getting the short end of the stick... do you not agree?

By the way I am most certainly a man...

Apphole
December 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I don't disagree that it may have been time... That is most certainly not my issue... I just feel that if he wanted another year what warrants him not getting another year?... Why did Cobb feel that he had to make this change now?... To me he has done anything and everything that could have ever been asked of him for this university and in return he seems to be getting the short end of the stick... do you not agree?

By the way I am most certainly a man...

It must have been a tough decision, one that I'm sure Cobb didn't take lightly. There are a ton of factors to consider that we know of, not to mention the ones that aren't public like Moore's true feelings about the FBS, the timing of the FBS and who else has been spoken to about being the head coach since this decision was made last year.

It was Cobb's decision to make and he made it. The man has got to work on his transparency though.

And congrats on the Y chromosome xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
December 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
It must have been a tough decision, one that I'm sure Cobb didn't take lightly. There are a ton of factors to consider that we know of, not to mention the ones that aren't public like Moore's true feelings about the FBS, the timing of the FBS and who else has been spoken to about being the head coach since this decision was made last year.

It was Cobb's decision to make and he made it. The man has got to work on his transparency though.

And congrats on the Y chromosome xsmiley_wix

Believe it or not i agree with everything you just said...

I can only imagine FBS was not on the top of coaches to do list as a man in his mid 70's... he probably wishes ASU would stay right where they are and it is pretty clear cobb is a large proponent of FBS... some fans are some fans are not i for one am neutral but it seems this might be a major sticking point between the men...

He did make it... would be tough for anyone to make... Transparency, PR, working with the media, etc... i think we can ALL agree is something (i feel among many things) that cobb is lacking...

Thank you and that little boy in my avatar is my now 9 month old son... let the Y continue!

PhillyApp1
December 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I think that Jerry Moore now knows what Ceasar felt like.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r-NP6ITrKxo/T2HqY8_pIlI/AAAAAAAAA5g/wSPT_HW9LNU/s1600/ides_of_march+02.jpg

Cit -Dog that picture can be shown to many who know what has happened for the last 3 years and think its JM who polluted this end of his era....glad to know when you love someone they can do no wrong ;-)

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Its a shame when a coach doesnt know when its best for him to step down gracefully.

eaglesrthe1
December 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Its a shame when a coach doesnt know when its best for him to step down gracefully.

JM, this coulda been you!
Out on top, idolized by the masses.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2012, 06:51 AM

I dont think that was the situation here... why did he need to step down?... he just won the socon title for the 7th time in 8 years...

Nova09
December 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Anyone who says they don't believe peacock has absolutely no sense of organizational governance. There is absolutely zero possibility the university's legal counsel and pr department allowed that release without digging through old emails and memos, and almost definitely talking to members of the board, to verify the story.

Now, that's not to say peacock and cobb handled this the best way from the start, and you can certainly get on them for that. And moore probably did truly believe he could convince them to give him another year when all was said and done, so he probably didn't think everything was as definite as it was and it probably wasn't entirely clearly communicated. But there is not a chance in the world peacock is lying.

SpeedkingATL
December 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I dont think that was the situation here... why did he need to step down?... he just won the socon title for the 7th time in 8 years...

Anyone that followed the programs off field issues in 2010 and 2011 would not be surprised. I was a little surprised that he came back for 2012. Situation was handled about a badly as possible by all involved.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Anyone who says they don't believe peacock has absolutely no sense of organizational governance. There is absolutely zero possibility the university's legal counsel and pr department allowed that release without digging through old emails and memos, and almost definitely talking to members of the board, to verify the story.

Now, that's not to say peacock and cobb handled this the best way from the start, and you can certainly get on them for that. And moore probably did truly believe he could convince them to give him another year when all was said and done, so he probably didn't think everything was as definite as it was and it probably wasn't entirely clearly communicated. But there is not a chance in the world peacock is lying.

Agree with this section whole heartedly!

asumike83
December 7th, 2012, 09:27 AM

For someone (presumably) not affiliated with Appalachian, you have a very good grasp of it. I don't think Peacock was lying and I don't think Coach Moore was either. It was a tough decision and in my opinion, the right one given all the changes that appear to be on the horizon for ASU football. However, the communication was very poor between the two parties.

boonegoon
December 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM
For someone (presumably) not affiliated with Appalachian, you have a very good grasp of it. I don't think Peacock was lying and I don't think Coach Moore was either. It was a tough decision and in my opinion, the right one given all the changes that appear to be on the horizon for ASU football. However, the communication was very poor between the two parties.

I agree. My first thought, and it could be offbase, is that Cobb may have sensed a change from Jerry with the remarks he made after the game and wanted to get out ahead of it. He did a poor job of it and is paying for it.

GlassOnion
December 7th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I agree. My first thought, and it could be offbase, is that Cobb may have sensed a change from Jerry with the remarks he made after the game and wanted to get out ahead of it. He did a poor job of it and is paying for it.

I think you hit it exactly. I think Jerry Moore knew exactly what he was supposed to do, stepping down, but thought if he'd make a playoff run and use that success and the media to basically make it impossible for Cobb to enforce. He started with the media right after the game. Cobb had no choice but to put an end to it before Moore really struck the match. Looks more like Moore forced Cobb's hand than anything else, his post game remarks made it cler he had no intention of following the "agreement."

PhillyApp1
December 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
2008...... Because of internal things, he lost 3 straight home playoff games,and they should have been in the quarterfinals in each of the last 3 years...and should i mention nepitism again.......just let it go, time to move on .....please stop dragging this on