PDA

View Full Version : GSU FS/KR J.J. Wilcox Selected to Senior Bowl

blueballs
December 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Per the GSU SID....

Considering that this is his first year on defense and fourth position played overall in his Eagle career, very impressive!

Congratulations J.J.!!!!!!!!!!!!! GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boogereagle
December 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Yup yup yup yup.
JJ is probably my favorite GSU player at this point. Just a team kid and probably has a damn good shot at making an NFL roster. Had no clue he's only second GSU player to get selected.

STATESBORO, Ga. – Georgia Southern senior safety J.J. Wilcox received an invite to the Senior Bowl Monday. The Senior Bowl will be held on January 26, 2013 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala. and will also air on the NFL Network.

The Senior Bowl is the nation’s most unique football game and football’s premier pre-draft event. It annually features the country’s best senior collegiate football stars and top NFL draft prospects on teams representing the North and South. Both teams are coached by the entire coaching staffs from two National Football League teams.

"It's a great showcase to be able to show off Georgia Southern to the nation,” Wilcox said after Monday's practice. “It's a blessing. I was in the right spot at the right time. The coaches put me in a great position, and it's a blessing and a privilege just to be able to play."

After spending three years on the offensive side of the ball where he accumulated 964 career rushing yards, Wilcox moved to safety before the start of fall practice this season. The Cairo, Ga., native ranks second on the team with 79 tackles while also returning 27 kicks for
711 yards. He was also selected to his first ever All-Conference team this season and was a First Team All-Southern Conference selection by the league's coaches.

Wilcox will be just the second Eagle in the history of the program to play in the Senior Bowl, with Adrian Peterson in 2002 being the only other selection.

Wilcox and his Georgia Southern teammates travel to Old Dominion Saturday for a noon kickoff on ESPN.

Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.

Southern Swarm
December 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Way to go JJ! Something tells me he won't be the last Eagle to get his shot at impressing the scouts.

Eaglesrus
December 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Epitome of a TEAM/me guy. I'm really glad that his talent has been recognized. Congratulations, J J!

Blue Eagle
December 4th, 2012, 12:15 AM
JJ has been my favorite Eagle football player for 4 years!!

He plays football the way football is meant to be played!!

What a privilege it has been to watch him play!!

He is one of our all time great players!!

I don't know him personally but have been fortunate enough to speak with him a number of times after games and every time he has been very appreciative and thanked me for my comments and supporting the Eagles!!

He is a class act and will represent Ga Southern very well on and off the field at the Senior Bowl!!

seantaylor
December 4th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Eubanks has a real shot as well. And 66 is a lock to get drafted.

Eagle11
December 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
How awesome would it be for 2-3 Eagles to go in the draft?

SpeedkingATL
December 4th, 2012, 08:15 AM
JJ had a good career at GaSo. Congrats to him and good luck going forward in the NFL. I'm happy to see him and Russell graduate,

blueballs
December 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
J.J. embodies everything you want in a player. You win titles and build programs with guys like him.

I don't know if he has a future in the NFL but IMO he would be the prototype Arena player. His skill set and the way he plays reminds me so much of Barry Wagner, who might have been the best AFL player ever.