PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth to the MAAC? What about football?

danefan
December 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/report-monmouth-quinnipiac-to-join-maac/14510/

The Connecticut Post, citing an anonymous source, tweeted that Monmouth and Quinnipiac will leave the Northeast Conference to join the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

No timetable was mentioned.

If true, the move would bring the MAAC to 11 teams. Loyola is leaving for the Patriot League after this season.

Update: The New Haven Register tweeted that “things are happening” between Quinnipiac and the MAAC, according to a source, but that no invitation has been extended yet.

It was unclear how MAAC member Fairfield, another Connecticut school, might react to Quinnipiac’s potential entrance to the league.

Original_RMC
December 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
The NEC needs to start recruiting potential new teams to rebuild for football and now perhaps basketball.

dbackjon
December 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Why? What is so attractive about the MAAC?

hebmskebm
December 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Why? What is so attractive about the MAAC?

MAAC schools are known for taking their hoops very seriously. Monmouth must want to put emphasis there.

hebmskebm
December 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
The first name that leaps to mind as a replacement is LIU Post. Though they are in the odd position where LIU Brooklyn is already a member of the NEC.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Patriot League.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
I still maintain that Fairfield is going to be in the Patriot League at some point... it was Loyola though (same profile as Fairfield) that got there first.

Pard4Life
December 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Patriot League.

? NEC teams to the PL? I think I heard Bogie vomiting somewhere.

RichH2
December 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
If PL goes that way Fairfield in, same as Loyola.
Monmouth , dont think so. AI still therr.

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
MAAC schools are known for taking their hoops very seriously. Monmouth must want to put emphasis there.

Outside of Siena, not so much. Two at-large bids since the conference was founded.

danefan
December 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
So now word is Bryant and Quinipiac have offers from AEast.

Not sure what Bryant would do for football.

aceinthehole
December 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Wagner is part of this rumor too. MAAC is at 9 memebrs with the loss of Loyola to the Patriot. MAAC commish has said the MAAC is willing to go to 12 teams.

The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference is discussing expansion and reportedly Quinnipiac University and Monmouth could be joining the conference, according to a source. Wagner, another Northeast Conference school, has also been linked to the MAAC, which lost Loyola (Md.) to the Patriot League earlier this fall.
http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Source-Quinnipiac-Monmouth-could-join-MAAC-4087984.php#ixzz2E2XkqESA

This could be the end of the NEC - kills football, lax, and probably a few other sports. Quinnipiac is going to take the MAAC over America East. If asked, Monmouth and Wagner will follow.

Have to think CCSU and Bryant are asked to join the AE, but what do we do with football.

This could be a real mess.

hebmskebm
December 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Outside of Siena, not so much. Two at-large bids since the conference was founded.

I said they took it seriously; I didnt say they were successful :D

danefan
December 3rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wagner is part of this rumor too. MAAC is at 9 memebrs with the loss of Loyola to the Patriot. MAAC commish has said the MAAC is willing to go to 12 teams.

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Source-Quinnipiac-Monmouth-could-join-MAAC-4087984.php#ixzz2E2XkqESA

This could be the end of the NEC - kills football, lax, and probably a few other sports. Quinnipiac is going to take the MAAC over America East. If asked, Monmouth and Wagner will follow.

Have to think CCSU and Bryant are asked to join the AE, but what do we do with football.

This could be a real mess.

Unless the AEsst sponsors football and forces its members home from the AEast.

Albany
UNH
Maine
SBU
CCSU
Bryant
URI- affiliate
Monmouth-affiliate
Wagner - affiliate

Nothing woud surprise me.

aceinthehole
December 3rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Unless the AEsst sponsors football and forces its members home from the AEast.

Albany
UNH
Maine
SBU
CCSU
Bryant
URI- affiliate
Monmouth-affiliate
Wagner - affiliate

Nothing woud surprise me.

As long as the NEC can live on as an all-sports conference, I think if they lsot multiple football memebrs they would allow the departing teams to stay as FB-only affiliates.

I mean if RMU, SHU and St. Francis are left as the only full NEC memebrs with football, they need affilates to keep the AQ.

With the recent signing of UA and SBU to CAA Football, I don't see any changes with that arraingment.

superman7515
December 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Delaware State, step right up, you're the next contestant on 101 Ways To Leave A Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Ways_to_Leave_a_Game_Show_(U.S._game_show)).

dgreco
December 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
any links for the Bryant rumors? I would be open to Bryant going to AEast. I still wish we were a PL school, but that ship has sailed. Also, if AEast meant fullscholarship FB I would be even more open to that move ASAP. The only thing about Bryant in AEast is that it doesnt fit the profile of other AEast schools, but that doesn't stop other conferences from have smaller private schools affiliated with the larger public schools

dgreco
December 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Delaware State, step right up, you're the next contestant on 101 Ways To Leave A Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Ways_to_Leave_a_Game_Show_(U.S._game_show)).

invite DSU to AEast with Bryant and CCSU and call it a day xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm kind of at a loss as to what Wagner, Monmouth, and Bryant bring the MAAC and vice-versa. The MAAC won't be sponsoring football, so it poses a problem for all three unless they're going to also be killing their football programs. And they offer little to nothing in hoops or lax, which is what the MAAC desperately needs. It seems like a "move for the sake of making a move", unless at nine members they feel they're too small.

Quinnipiac's motives are more clear, they are upgrading hoops and don't have football to worry about. They fit in the MAAC in that sense.

I mean, we all know TV deals and media markets are not at play here.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
It's kind of like, "We don't want NJIT so bad that we'll take Quinnipiac and Wagner and force the NEC to pick them up."

aceinthehole
December 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
any links for the Bryant rumors? I would be open to Bryant going to AEast. I still wish we were a PL school, but that ship has sailed. Also, if AEast meant fullscholarship FB I would be even more open to that move ASAP. The only thing about Bryant in AEast is that it doesnt fit the profile of other AEast schools, but that doesn't stop other conferences from have smaller private schools affiliated with the larger public schools

No rumors, just some common sense IMO. Bryant would do fine in the AE - probably better than Hartford.

Bryant MLax and baseball and CCSU hoops and baseball would be good adds for the AE.

With multiple NEC football schools rumored to be leaving, my bet is the remaining NEC schools allows them all to stay as affiliates.

dgreco
December 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I'm kind of at a loss as to what Wagner, Monmouth, and Bryant bring the MAAC and vice-versa. The MAAC won't be sponsoring football, so it poses a problem for all three unless they're going to also be killing their football programs. And they offer little to nothing in hoops or lax, which is what the MAAC desperately needs. It seems like a "move for the sake of making a move", unless at nine members they feel they're too small.

Quinnipiac's motives are more clear, they are upgrading hoops and don't have football to worry about. They fit in the MAAC in that sense.

I mean, we all know TV deals and media markets are not at play here.

Bryant has a great lax program with Coach Press so I think at least they would be a grab for lax. Also, basketball is having a good season and there have been rumors around and mumblings with the AD about a possible new on campus bball stadium (similar to QU/MU). However, Bryant turned down a MAAC offer/favored and pursued the NEC when moving up because of football. I doubt the school would be dropping football or move to the MAAC.

Sader87
December 3rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
NEC football....we hardly knew ye....R.I.P.

DSUrocks07
December 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM

We have Women's LAX and golf coming online in 2013, if we can figure out how to drop the Equestrian team (avoiding lawsuits along the way), and use the savings (est. $700k/yr) to bring back Men's tennis and start up a Men's LAX and a Men's golf program we would be prime candidates for either the NEC or the AEast.

This is the opportunity we've been waiting for. The door is open, will we finally hop out of the sandbox and step through it?

DSUrocks07
December 3rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
NEC sports (non-DSU teams in bold):

baseball
men’s basketball
women’s basketball
women’s bowling
men’s cross country
women’s cross country
field hockey
football,
men’s golf
women’s golf
men’s indoor track & field
women’s indoor track & field
men's lacrosse
women’s lacrosse
men’s outdoor track & field
women’s outdoor track & field
men’s soccer
women’s soccer
softball
swimming
men’s tennis
women’s tennis
women’s volleyball

DSU would have a home for ALL of the sport teams it sponsors. All under one banner. The savings on travel costs alone would do wonders for the athletic department. Not to mention the savings in football having only 40 scholarships to fill. Title IX wouldn't be an issue either.

danefan
December 4th, 2012, 06:20 AM
How to leave a conference in 30 days....

Step 1. Unequivocal denial two weeks prior to prospective conference annual meeting, while in the same breath say you're open to all possibilities.

http://www.app.com/article/20121203/NJSPORTS0220/312030104

Step 2. Prospective conference has annual meeting.

[to come December 14th]

DSUrocks07
December 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM
No rumors, just some common sense IMO. Bryant would do fine in the AE - probably better than Hartford.

Bryant MLax and baseball and CCSU hoops and baseball would be good adds for the AE.

With multiple NEC football schools rumored to be leaving, my bet is the remaining NEC schools allows them all to stay as affiliates.

But would they be allowed to do that? That would have the conference at 8 members (5 full, 3 affiliates) for football. I'm not certain if the NCAA's six member conference rule applies to full conference members or if associates count too. Long tern, the NEC needs more full members that play football for its long-term stability (DSU). Or that could possibly start football (UMES?) if necessary.

ccd494
December 4th, 2012, 08:07 AM
But would they be allowed to do that? That would have the conference at 8 members (5 full, 3 affiliates) for football. I'm not certain if the NCAA's six member conference rule applies to full conference members or if associates count too. Long tern, the NEC needs more full members that play football for its long-term stability (DSU). Or that could possibly start football (UMES?) if necessary.

Conferences just have to have six members, period.

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
It's kind of like, "We don't want NJIT so bad that we'll take Quinnipiac and Wagner and force the NEC to pick them up."

Keep doubting NJIT!

A smaller conference would actually be better because your odds of making the NCAAs are much greater in a smaller league.

If you recall, I did a 'benchmarking' of what teams could be PL candidates and I thought Wagner was a very outside possibility. They are a liberal arts college, though with nowhere near the PL academic profile, but their athletic teams are focused on APR awards and GSR rates.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
How to leave a conference in 30 days....

Step 1. Unequivocal denial two weeks prior to prospective conference annual meeting, while in the same breath say your open to all possibilities.

http://www.app.com/article/20121203/NJSPORTS0220/312030104

Step 2. Prospective conference has annual meeting.

[to come December 14th]

You are assuming that the same monied forces that are forcing Rutgers into the arms of the Big 10 are somehow at play here. Again, what does Monmouth possibly have to gain other than having to go through the headache of reclassifying their football program in the Patriot League or quite possibly the CAA? What does the MAAC gain, except for an 11th (an 11th!) member?

Here's another chuckle about the whole affair: They'd be trading into, right now, a weaker hoops conference than the NEC.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

10. Northeast 0.5127
19. MAAC 0.4795

Refresh my memory - why would Monmouth do this again?

ccd494
December 4th, 2012, 08:55 AM
You are assuming that the same monied forces that are forcing Rutgers into the arms of the Big 10 are somehow at play here. Again, what does Monmouth possibly have to gain other than having to go through the headache of reclassifying their football program in the Patriot League or quite possibly the CAA? What does the MAAC gain, except for an 11th (an 11th!) member?

Here's another chuckle about the whole affair: They'd be trading into, right now, a weaker hoops conference than the NEC.

10. Northeast 0.5127
19. MAAC 0.4795

Because this season is an anomaly, hoops strength wise? And Monmouth probably cares a lot more about basketball than football?

And, if you don't have football, what the heck difference does 10 vs. 11 vs. 12 make? The more the MAAC adds, the more protected they are. So why not go to 11 instead of 9?

DSUrocks07
December 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Conferences just have to have six members, period.

Got it xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Because this season is an anomaly, hoops strength wise? And Monmouth probably cares a lot more about basketball than football?

And, if you don't have football, what the heck difference does 10 vs. 11 vs. 12 make? The more the MAAC adds, the more protected they are. So why not go to 11 instead of 9?

The problem is though that football is an active stumbling block for the Hawks, not an asset for the MAAC conference to my knowledge. Again, QU's path is more straightforward, I could see them moving. But why move for the sake of moving? It's not like the MAAC can say they have this fantastic TV deal that the NEC lacks. If anything, the NEC's streaming solution kicks the pants off of what the MAAC offers.

downbythebeach
December 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
The MAAC has St. Peter's for crying out loud.
Anyone that has ever been there understands.

ccd494
December 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
The problem is though that football is an active stumbling block for the Hawks, not an asset for the MAAC conference to my knowledge. Again, QU's path is more straightforward, I could see them moving. But why move for the sake of moving? It's not like the MAAC can say they have this fantastic TV deal that the NEC lacks. If anything, the NEC's streaming solution kicks the pants off of what the MAAC offers.

I'm not saying Monmouth should drop football for the sake of moving to the MAAC. The Pioneer will have an autobid soon, and you can save money on scholarships, and play new conference-mate Marist as your rival.

And the NEC might even let them stay, who knows. It's a surmountable problem with a little effort.

dgreco
December 4th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'm not saying Monmouth should drop football for the sake of moving to the MAAC. The Pioneer will have an autobid soon, and you can save money on scholarships, and play new conference-mate Marist as your rival.

And the NEC might even let them stay, who knows. It's a surmountable problem with a little effort.

I think the Pioneer could be a possibility for schools like MU and WC if they were to join the MAAC. Even if Bryant were to join the MAAC I think that might be a possibility. I guess there could also be a possibility that the MAAC sponsors nonscholarship/limited scholarship football too if enough schools move around.

dgreco
December 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM

10. Northeast 0.5127
19. MAAC 0.4795

partly because Bryant is #27 in the RPI and partly because NEC has 4 teams in the top 100 and the MAAC has 1.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I think the Pioneer could be a possibility for schools like MU and WC if they were to join the MAAC. Even if Bryant were to join the MAAC I think that might be a possibility. I guess there could also be a possibility that the MAAC sponsors nonscholarship/limited scholarship football too if enough schools move around.

Kevin Callahan, giving up his pipeline of NFL players to go non-scholarship? Walt Hameline, both football head coach and AD, signing up his playoff squad to become non-scholarship? For the honor of playing MAAC basketball? It sounds far-fetched to me.

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2012, 10:09 AM

The Pioneer is full--remember, Mercer and Stetson come on board in 2013 .

The MAAC has no interest in football. Those days are not coming back.

aceinthehole
December 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM
LFN - historically the MAAC is a much stronger conference in hoops. The MAAC has had at-large selections, and has won NCAA Tourney games. The NEC has never won anything other than a PIG game.

The PL has had huge NCAA wins from Lehigh and Bucknell in the past. The NEC has none of that.

Like football, the NEC product is vastly improved and has faired better than peer leagues (AE/MAAC/Ivy/PL) in some years. The NEC has had a few more post season teams in recent years with the expansion of tourneys, but we lack a breakthough wins anywhere. The NEC is a very good league right now. This year CCSU has a very good win at LaSalle, Bryant beat Boston College, and RMU just beat Ohio for the 3rd straight year. Sure, the NEC has a good RPI now and may even finsih better than the PL, Ivy MAAc, and AE this year - and yes the NEC FrontRow is one of the best streaming platforms for any mid-major conference - but we are still at the bottom of the NCAA pecking order.

I think the people in the NEC office are some of the best in the NCAA. But the fact is the NEC profile is small, private colleges in the NY/Northeast region. These schools have limited history or success at the DI level. The academics are nothing to write home about. The fact is that every single NEC team would like take the chance and move up 1 rung on the ladder.

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Monmouth's basketball arena is first-class given its conference and profile. Everyone in the PL except Bucknell should be envious. You have to believe they want larger things for their program. Despite the rankings, MAAC is higher-profile, IMO. The NEC I believe is the only conference that does not have a men's bball victory.

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/642/media/images/Dave_Calloway_Mens_Basketball_coach_at_Monmouth_1. jpg http://www.torcon.com/projects/education/images/monmouth1.jpg

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Monmouth's basketball arena is first-class given its conference and profile. Everyone in the PL except Bucknell should be envious.

What about Stabler Arena?

Then again, BU's Agannis Arena (when they use it for basketball, that is ) will be the clear leader in this discussion.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/410786320_84dbac7ca6.jpg

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
What about Stabler Arena?

Then again, BU's Agannis Arena (when they use it for basketball, that is ) will be the clear leader in this discussion.

Was not even thinking of the newbies... that's the first time I've seen BU's arena.... not bad.

Stabler is TERRIBLE. It's like watching a game in an aircraft hanger. Dark. Lifeless. Your seats are far from the floor. The first row of seats behind the benches are at the top of a six-foot wall. No seats touch the court except for one side. Worst venue in the PL along with Holy Cross.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NkcpE8QqmZA/0.jpg

PAllen
December 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
... Worst venue in the PL along with Holy Cross.

Wow, you really are jaded. Although, I could do without that stupid bird in the middle of the floor.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Stabler lacks charm, but Army's court is worse. And IMVHO when people try to compare the panache of each others' basketball courts, I really don't get it. They're all enclosed spaces and they pretty much all are concrete blocks on the outside and dark on the inside. All the talk of "gameday atmosphere" really should be left to outdoor arenas like football and baseball.

Go Green
December 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
. Everyone in the PL except Bucknell should be envious.

Haven't seen Monmouth, but Navy's Alumni Hall was one of the best basketball facilities that I've seen.

It was definitely the cleanest. I can only think that they make the plebes polish the floors with toothbrushes after games... :)

Bill
December 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Pard

You might just be a bit biased! At least Lehigh has an arena. While Stabler arena has the all the character that early Soviet architecture entails, Kirby (until the renovations are done next year) still resembles a HS court. Of course, Colgate is certainly worse....

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Pard

You might just be a bit biased! At least Lehigh has an arena. While Stabler arena has the all the character that early Soviet architecture entails, Kirby (until the renovations are done next year) still resembles a HS court. Of course, Colgate is certainly worse....

Lafayette, American, Colgate and Holy Cross have similar venues. Army's is pretty much the same.

Bucknell's is very nice but small. Stabler is large, but ugly as sin and the behind the basket seats are awful. Navy's is the best.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Colgate's is fine for what it is, which is very rarely full. In addition, the seating has been upgraded a bit and capacity reduced by approximately 40%.

I actually like Stabler. It has a bigger-time feel.

LUHawker
December 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Patriot League.

Oh, God, I hope not. Would be terrible. I don't love Boston U., but can live with it. And then Loyola and potentially Monmouth. We are going way downstream now.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Oh, God, I hope not. Would be terrible. I don't love Boston U., but can live with it. And then Loyola and potentially Monmouth. We are going way downstream now.

Fear not, LUHawker friend. I fail to see a really compelling argument why Monmouth would be seriously considering the MAAC anyway, considering they don't sponsor football and if they took them on Monmouth would then have a "football problem" they would need to solve.

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Pard

Not really... I honestly think Stabler is awful.

Kirby does resemble a HS court, but at least it's bright, the acoustics are great, and you have unobstructed views. At Stabler, the banners are hanging too low. I've been to the PL Championship at Stabler and big games at Kirby, and Kirby is much better. It's louder, and you are right on top of the court, even sitting in the nose-bleeds.

Yes, forgot about Navy.. maybe because it's usually empty.

Never been to Colgate, but it looks like an intimate court... looks similar to Rider, which I've been to a few times.

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Colgate's is fine for what it is, which is very rarely full. In addition, the seating has been upgraded a bit and capacity reduced by approximately 40%.

I actually like Stabler. It has a bigger-time feel.

Reduced capacity?? Wasn't 'capacity' like 2,000 already?

Bill
December 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Pard & Go Gate

My dad - a Colgate alum - used to always say - "If every student at Colgate and the entire town of Hamilton showed up, we still couldn't fill Cotterell" :)

Go...gate
December 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Reduced capacity?? Wasn't 'capacity' like 2,000 already?

Actually, Cotterell's stated capacity was at one time 3,100 (all bleachers) before the new seating, and we actually exceeded that for a few events, but only once for basketball - the 1995 PL Men's BB Championship Game vs. Navy, held on a Friday afternoon. They squeezed everybody they could possibly squeeze in, including myself (I think announced attendance was 3,300, but no one really knows; some speculated attendance was even higher). What a college BB atmosphere that was! ESPN was even impressed.

Other official "sellouts or more" were a Bob Hope show from Colgate in November 1979 (part of which was used for his Thanksgiving special "Bob Hope on Campus") and a Grateful Dead concert in 1977 or '78.

I don't know what the official capacity of Cotterell is now. Looking at the revised seating, I can't see it as more than 1,500 - 1,750.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Pard & Go Gate

My dad - a Colgate alum - used to always say - "If every student at Colgate and the entire town of Hamilton showed up, we still couldn't fill Cotterell" :)

Yep! Usually the biggest Cotterell crowds were for graduation when it rained. My brother and I both had that experience.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Not really... I honestly think Stabler is awful.

Kirby does resemble a HS court, but at least it's bright, the acoustics are great, and you have unobstructed views. At Stabler, the banners are hanging too low. I've been to the PL Championship at Stabler and big games at Kirby, and Kirby is much better. It's louder, and you are right on top of the court, even sitting in the nose-bleeds.

Yes, forgot about Navy.. maybe because it's usually empty.

Never been to Colgate, but it looks like an intimate court... looks similar to Rider, which I've been to a few times.

Very good comparison. Cotterell and Rider's Alumni Gymnasium are very similar. When Rider's facility is full, it can be raucous.

RichH2
December 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Nice thread jack going to Bball arena. I.m impressed.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Let's face it - for the Patriot League, it is now basketball season.

UNHWildcat18
December 4th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I love how one person mentions an arena for a PL team and the thread turns into PL CITY...................

I really don't care about MU or wagner but I hope that QU goes to the AE instead. rather see them than Bryant or CCSU
and I'd also love to see Northeastern make a return back to AE (I would be open to towson and Delaware too but i dont see that happening)

superman7515
December 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I love how one person mentions an arena for a PL team and the thread turns into PL CITY...................

I really don't care about MU or wagner but I hope that QU goes to the AE instead. rather see them than Bryant or CCSU
and I'd also love to see Northeastern make a return back to AE (I would be open to towson and Delaware too but i dont see that happening)

You haven't been here for very long, but what you will find is that every thread on anything on this site is only is only as important as it relatable to the Patriot League. Anything else is just irrelevant chatter.

Sader87
December 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
You haven't been here for very long, but what you will find is that every thread on anything on this site is only is only as important as it relatable to the Patriot League. Anything else is just irrelevant chatter.

Exactly...very well put.

superman7515
December 5th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Exactly...very well put.

Haha. Thanks, just trying to help the new guy out. xnodx

Go...gate
December 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM

xlolx

RichH2
December 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Well to use the technical term, its jibberjabber. Altho, truth be told , impressed with how we morphed this thread to a comparison of Bball arenas. A new low or high for us depending on your point of view.

Original_RMC
December 5th, 2012, 06:46 PM
xcoffeex

RichH2
December 5th, 2012, 08:55 PM
xcoffeex xrolleyesx Well said.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
There was a lot of chatter about this a couple days ago, but now, crickets.

And nobody has adequately convinced me that:

* Monmouth will be dropping football to "fit in" with the MAAC
* The MAAC suddenly wants to sponsor a non- or limited- scholarship football conference
* Monmouth has made arrangements with the Pioneer/Patriot League/Big South/CAA to join that conference in football in conjunction with their move to the MAAC
* That Monmouth wants to move to the MAAC so badly they're going to go through all this extra work to find a football home
* That the MAAC is in any way better than the NEC

The NEC is a perfectly healthy conference in all respects - it's hardly "dying", with 12 all-sports members, and 7 football members, plenty to keep sponsoring football. Let's say Quinnipiac jumps; just take NJIT, and they're pretty much exactly where they were before. Heck, NJIT has whispered a thought of starting football one day.

downbythebeach
December 5th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Maybe Monmouth goes Big South and tries to follow in the footsteps of SBU.........?

citdog
December 5th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Well to use the technical term, its jibberjabber. Altho, truth be told , impressed with how we morphed this thread to a comparison of Bball arenas. A new low or high for us depending on your point of view.

http://bike29.com/ride29er/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mr_t_jibba_jabba.jpg

aceinthehole
December 6th, 2012, 06:34 AM

* Monmouth will be dropping football to "fit in" with the MAAC
* The MAAC suddenly wants to sponsor a non- or limited- scholarship football conference
* Monmouth has made arrangements with the Pioneer/Patriot League/Big South/CAA to join that conference in football in conjunction with their move to the MAAC
* That Monmouth wants to move to the MAAC so badly they're going to go through all this extra work to find a football home

The NEC is a perfectly healthy conference in all respects - it's hardly "dying", with 12 all-sports members, and 7 football members, plenty to keep sponsoring football. Let's say Quinnipiac jumps; just take NJIT, and they're pretty much exactly where they were before. Heck, NJIT has whispered a thought of starting football one day.

LFN - I don't know where you infered anything regarding the some of this stuff. No one thinks Monmouth is giving up or "downgrading" football.

However, if given the invite, I fully expect Monmouth to move to the MAAC. They will likely ask to keep football only in the NEC, and who knows it may be granted. MU may also be in discussions with the PL, CAA, or Big South for affilate membership, even if the conferences would be a longshot.

If other football schools (such as Wagner, Bryant, and CCSU) also leave the NEC for all-sports, they will all likely ask to stay in the NEC for football only.

Too much is unknown at this point, but if given the invite, there is a good chance the NEC loses some schools to then MAAC and possibly the AE. We'll all know more next Friday.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 08:49 AM
LFN - I don't know where you infered anything regarding the some of this stuff. No one thinks Monmouth is giving up or "downgrading" football.

Joining the MAAC creates a "football problem" that needs to be solved, that's a given.

With a potential move to the MAAC, a question gets raised about their football program - where does it go? (Hence the title of the thread....) Does it go to full scholarship, say, as a member of the CAA? Does it go to the PFL and go non-scholarship? The only member of the MAAC that sponsors football sponsors it in the non-scholarship PFL. Does it drop completely? Is the NEC gracious and lets Monmouth continue to compete in the NEC? These are legitimate questions because the MAAC does not sponsor football, and nobody has given this "football problem" proper airing.

Curiously, your response didn't mention that the MAAC was in any way superior to the NEC.

DFW HOYA
December 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
With a potential move to the MAAC, a question gets raised about their football program - where does it go? (Hence the title of the thread....) Does it go to full scholarship, say, as a member of the CAA? Does it go to the PFL and go non-scholarship? The only member of the MAAC that sponsors football sponsors it in the non-scholarship PFL. Does it drop completely? Is the NEC gracious and lets Monmouth continue to compete in the NEC? These are legitimate questions because the MAAC does not sponsor football, and nobody has given this "football problem" proper airing.

FWIW...

NEC bylaws, section 12.7. "A member institution may not participate as a member in another Conference in a sport recognized or sponsored by the Conference."

http://www.northeastconference.org/Pdfs/general/2009/11/2/2009-10%20Policy%20Manual.pdf

aceinthehole
December 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Curiously, your response didn't mention that the MAAC was in any way superior to the NEC.

I personally, don't think the MAAC is a 'superior' athletic conference, however I do understand that is percieved as a much better basketball league. But I guess you missed this post earlier in the thread.

LFN - historically the MAAC is a much stronger conference in hoops. The MAAC has had at-large selections, and has won NCAA Tourney games. The NEC has never won anything other than a PIG game.

The PL has had huge NCAA wins from Lehigh and Bucknell in the past. The NEC has none of that.

Like football, the NEC product is vastly improved and has faired better than peer leagues (AE/MAAC/Ivy/PL) in some years. The NEC has had a few more post season teams in recent years with the expansion of tourneys, but we lack a breakthough wins anywhere. The NEC is a very good league right now. This year CCSU has a very good win at LaSalle, Bryant beat Boston College, and RMU just beat Ohio for the 3rd straight year. Sure, the NEC has a good RPI now and may even finsih better than the PL, Ivy MAAc, and AE this year - and yes the NEC FrontRow is one of the best streaming platforms for any mid-major conference - but we are still at the bottom of the NCAA pecking order.

I think the people in the NEC office are some of the best in the NCAA. But the fact is the NEC profile is small, private colleges in the NY/Northeast region. These schools have limited history or success at the DI level. The academics are nothing to write home about. The fact is that every single NEC team would like take the chance and move up 1 rung on the ladder.

aceinthehole
December 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joining the MAAC creates a "football problem" that needs to be solved, that's a given.

Of course, if Monmouth joins the MAAC they would have a "football problem" - we all can see that.

Sorry, if I am giving Vice Admiral Paul G. Gaffney II, USN (Ret.), the Monmouth University President and their AD, Dr. Marilyn McNeil a little too much credit for studying their options. These 2 individuals know 100% more than any of us about the pros/cons and options for the MU athletic program.

I think it is awfully arrogant of you to suggest that that these leaders would make a decision to harm their athletic program or their football team. At this point nothing suggests they would get rid of football. As a long time member of the NEC, Monmouth is likely working in cooperation with NEC Charter member Wagner (another program rumored to join the MAAC) and others to figure out a mutually beneficial situation for everyone.

We all know a lot more next Friday when the MAAC makes their announcement.

What happens if both Monmouth and Wagner depart for the MAAC in all sports?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Sorry, if I am giving Vice Admiral Paul G. Gaffney II, USN (Ret.), the Monmouth University President and their AD, Dr. Marilyn McNeil a little too much credit for studying their options. These 2 individuals know 100% more than any of us about the pros/cons and options for the MU athletic program.

I think it is awfully arrogant of you to suggest that that these leaders would make a decision to harm their athletic program or their football team. At this point nothing suggests they would get rid of football. As a long time member of the NEC, Monmouth is likely working in cooperation with NEC Charter member Wagner (another program rumored to join the MAAC) and others to figure out a mutually beneficial situation for everyone.

The point is we don't know what these leaders want to do with their football program. Other presidents have decided by fiat that football was no longer welcome at their university. We don't know what Vice Admiral Gaffney thinks on the matter, nor Dr. McNeil.

About all we know is that a third conference will need to be involved in some way to host their football program if they move. And whether it's "up a rung" or not is highly debatable. I'd think even you would be able to acknowledge that, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 09:56 AM
What happens if both Monmouth and Wagner depart for the MAAC in all sports?

The NEC goes on with 10 all-sports members and 5 whom sponsor football. NEC football soldiers on (with Duquesne) and six members, while they possibly take NJIT who, perhaps, looks to add football. Perhaps LIU-C.W. Post transitions to D-I and joins the NEC in all sports, too, bringing the total to 8, or maybe West Chester makes the long-awaited jump to D-I. Point being, the NEC will be fine regardless.

Meanwhile, Monmouth and Wagner will have difficult decisions to make regarding football directly precipitated by their decision to go "up a rung" (again, quite debatable).

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM
And before my Delaware State friends chime in, there's also the chance that both Delaware State and Morgan State jump to the NEC in all sports as well. Yes, you heard right, Morgan State.

Model Citizen
December 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
FWIW...

NEC bylaws, section 12.7. "A member institution may not participate as a member in another Conference in a sport recognized or sponsored by the Conference."

http://www.northeastconference.org/Pdfs/general/2009/11/2/2009-10%20Policy%20Manual.pdf

With regard to an associate NEC membership in football, how would (MAAC) Monmouth differ from (America East) Albany?

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM

* Monmouth will be dropping football to "fit in" with the MAAC*

The MAAC suddenly wants to sponsor a non- or limited- scholarship football conference

Where would Monmouth football go? The Big South is certainly a possibility because they would have a regional partner in SBU. It might also enable the Big South to "northernize" its football footprint a bit more. Delaware State is also thinking about the Big South, are they not?

busybee14
December 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Wags is not going anywhere,and football is becoming more if a priorty not less.We may even have night gsmes on the hill in 2013.

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
If NJIT were to have football, one would hope that they could play in Newark's minor league BB ballpark. Nice facility.

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Where would Monmouth football go? The Big South is certainly a possibility because they would have a regional partner in SBU. It might also enable the Big South to "northernize" its football footprint a bit more. Delaware State is also thinking about the Big South, are they not?

SBU is joining the CAA, aren't they?

Bill
December 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
If NJIT were to have football, one would hope that they could play in Newark's minor league BB ballpark. Nice facility.

Gate - that might be rather ambitious (the idea of NJIT with football). Where would they practice? I think it would be very, very expensive to have a quality program at NJIT.....

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Gate - that might be rather ambitious (the idea of NJIT with football). Where would they practice? I think it would be very, very expensive to have a quality program at NJIT.....

I agree - it is the longest of long shots, and realistcally there is no place to play.

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 04:01 PM
SBU is joining the CAA, aren't they?

Right. My fault - a senior moment. It's hell getting old.

RichH2
December 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Agree it is hell, but still better than not growing old.

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Agree it is hell, but still better than not growing old.

Well said. Sometimes, though, I don't know where the hell the time has gone.

RichH2
December 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Time. We only graduated a few years ago. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Of course, I've always treated yrs as a more or less metaphysical concept.
All said, for some strange reason takes me twice as long now to be able to move w/o aches and pains.

Laker
December 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Wags is not going anywhere,and football is becoming more if a priorty not less.We may even have night gsmes on the hill in 2013.

Night games are the greatest. Much better atmosphere unless it is windy and cold!

Go...gate
December 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM

You guys have the makings of a great situation at Wagner.

downbythebeach
December 6th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Agreed.
Wagner is a great school that a lot of people want to go to.

Pard4Life
December 6th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Time. We only graduated a few years ago. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Of course, I've always treated yrs as a more or less metaphysical concept.
All said, for some strange reason takes me twice as long now to be able to move w/o aches and pains.

Jeez guys... way to lighten the mood here.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
More news on this front:

http://asburyparkpress.nj.newsmemory.com/?token=cd21295a288fe4992b175c70ba9dad0f&cnum=1419953&fod=1111111STD&selDate=20121211&site=B3&sub=RICH.ENSOR

With rumors swirling of a possible conference move by Monmouth Uni*versity to the Metro Atlan*tic Athletic Conference that league's commissioner Monday indicated the MAAC may be poised to bring in one or more schools. “The MAAC member*ship is meeting Friday and membership is on the agen*da,'' MAAC commissioner Richard Ensor said. Ensor, a Lacey resident, declined to identify possi*ble future members but sources say Monmouth, Quinnipiac, and Wagner — all current members of the Northeast Conference — are in the mix. The MAAC apparently plans to fill at least one va*cancy created by the depar*ture of Loyola, Md. to the Patriot League in 2013-14.

“It’s unclear to me at this point whether we’re expanding by one, two or three.” Ensor said.

He said any future members could begin con*ference play as early as next season.

“We’ve had past strate*gic planning efforts that have been on going for the last 18 months which have indicated we would go to 12 schools even before Loyola announced they were re*signing in August,” Ensor said. “That could occur but it could possibly be that we go with one or two.”

Ensor said basketball is of paramount importance to the MAAC.

“The investment by a number of schools in the re*gion in their facilities and in their programs is cer*tainly being taking into ac*count by the MAAC as it re*views possible expansion,'' he said. Monmouth's 57 million dollar, Multipurpose Activ*ity Center which houses a 4,100-seat arena, a 200-me*ter, six-lane indoor track, locker rooms, educational and conference space, the University Store, and a modern fitness center, opened on August 26, 2009.

Ensor said the MAAC is also looking to boost its la*crosse and soccer pro*grams. Monmouth is add*ing men’s lacrosse next season and it’s women’s team is the defending NEC champion. Monmouth men’s soccer has become nationally prominent under coach Robert McCourt. Its women’s team, led by coach Krissy Turner, is pe*rennially an upper echelon program in the league. Monmouth athletic di*rector Marilyn McNeil said last week the school had not received any invitations to join another league. She said at the time Monmouth was “still open to all con*versations.”

An NAIA affiliate in the 1960's and 70's and later in NCAA Division II, Mon*mouth went Division I in the early 1980's. It has been a member of the NEC since 1985-86. The MAAC does not sponsor football. So if Mon*mouth, which just complet*ed its 20th football season were to join the MAAC, it's FCS program could possi*bly remain in the NEC or be forced to look elsewhere for a home. Possibilities other than the NEC could include the Colonial Athletic Associa*tion, the Pioneer or Patriot Leagues, or becoming an independent. The MAAC is support*ing 24 sports and champi*onships during the 2012-2013 academic year. It has automatic qualification to 15 NCAA Championships.

If "basketball is of paramount importance", here is the RPI of all the prospective new members:

Wagner 3-4 84 (note: their RPI is strong mostly due to a brutal schedule... lost to #210 Delaware State 73-69)
Monmouth 5-5 184 (recently lost to #281 Navy 85-66)
Quinnipiac 3-5 193 (lost to #244 American 61-55)

Rest of the MAAC thus far:

54 Canisius 2-0 6-1
113 Fairfield 1-1 5-5
154 Rider 1-1 6-5
161 Loyola (MD) 1-1 8-3
192 St. Peter's 1-1 4-5
215 Iona 1-1 3-4
218 Marist 1-1 3-6
243 Niagara 1-1 3-6
252 Manhattan 1-1 3-5
312 Siena 0-2 2-9

Still at a loss as to how this is a good move for Monmouth, aside from the fact that more than a decade ago Manhattan got an at-large bid to the NCAAs in a "perfect storm" sort of situation. About all I knoe is if they do choose to go to the MAAC, I'm positive the PL will allow them to join football-only with open arms.

aceinthehole
December 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Still at a loss as to how this is a good move for Monmouth, aside from the fact that more than a decade ago Manhattan got an at-large bid to the NCAAs in a "perfect storm" sort of situation. About all I knoe is if they do choose to go to the MAAC, I'm positive the PL will allow them to join football-only with open arms.

Honestly, you are the worst kind of hack "journalist" - someone without the correct facts. You still don't get it do you? You clearly know nothing about MAAC and NEC basketball, except this season's RPI. Are you kidding me ...

Just look at what the MAAC has done recently and compare it to the NEC:

2012 - Iona earns an at-large bid from the MAAC.
2009 - Siena beats #8 Ohio State in the First Round.
2008 - Siena beats #4 Vanderbilt in the First Round
2004 - Manhattan beats #5 Florida in the First Round
http://www.maacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17400&ATCLID=939811

The NEC has won a total of 3 NCAA games since 1981 - and all were "Opening Round" or PIG games (RMU in 1983, Monmouth in 2006, and Mt. St. Mary's in 2008) - that's it!
http://www.northeastconference.org/sports/2011/9/22/mbball_687.aspx?path=mbball

Let's not even compare NIT results between the two leagues. The MAAC has been a much, much better basketball conference. The NEC has made up some ground in recent years, for sure - but the MAAC is still regarded by all informed observers as more than just a "step up"

aceinthehole
December 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM
The MAAC does not sponsor football. So if Monmouth, which just completed its 20th football season were to join the MAAC, it's FCS program could possibly remain in the NEC or be forced to look elsewhere for a home.

Possibilities other than the NEC could include the Colonial Athletic Association, the Pioneer or Patriot Leagues, or becoming an independent.

Why don't you at least opine about the situation as how it relates to Monmouth's chances to become an affiliate PL member in football? Maybe you could add some "Patriot League perspective" from your “sources,” but I won't hold my breath. I'll just wait for another fantasy blog posting ....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Why don't you at least opine about the situation as how it relates to Monmouth's chances to become an affiliate PL member in football? Maybe you could add some "Patriot League perspective" from your “sources,” but I won't hold my breath. I'll just wait for another fantasy blog posting ....

I will say two things: while I might not understand why Monmouth or Wagner's reasons for going to the MAAC, if they do make the jump, the Patriot League makes the most sense for them for football only.

And if they both jump to any other league in football, NEC football would lose immensely. Losing Bob Ford was bad enough, but losing Callahan and Hameline is truly terrible for the whole league. It would make me wonder whether Robert Morris might find more value elsewhere, for starters.

aceinthehole
December 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I will say two things: while I might not understand why Monmouth or Wagner's reasons for going to the MAAC, if they do make the jump, the Patriot League makes the most sense for them for football only.

And if they both jump to any other league in football, NEC football would lose immensely. Losing Bob Ford was bad enough, but losing Callahan and Hameline is truly terrible for the whole league. It would make me wonder whether Robert Morris might find more value elsewhere, for starters.

I don't disagree that losing Monmouth and/or Wagner would really hurt NEC football - I think that's obvious to everyone. Any membership losses in the NEC will set the league back in all sports, especially football and basketball.

The actual question that most observers want answered is: what is the actual LIKELYHOOD that the PL Presidents would accept MU and/or Wag as an associate member for football? Of course it makes sense for Monmouth to put its football program in the PL - but what do the PL Presidents and ADs really think about this possibility? MU very likely has the desire to join the PL for football - but is that even a realistic possibility from the perspective of the real decision-makers in the PL?

Danielr11220
December 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
On a related side note, I really wish the America East Conference and the NEC would trade Central Connecticut State for Hartford, one conference would be all public schools one would be all private schools it would make sense, to me.Then if America East adds NJIT & CCSU than you have a full conference, some of which play football. and the nec a conference of all private schools some of which play football, they can perhaps have a joint football confrence or two separate conferences if they get more of their full members to start football teams.

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Let's not even compare NIT results between the two leagues. The MAAC has been a much, much better basketball conference. The NEC has made up some ground in recent years, for sure - but the MAAC is still regarded by all informed observers as more than just a "step up"

Calling the MAAC a "step up" is like saying the Big South is a step up from the MEAC.

DSUrocks07
December 11th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Calling the MAAC a "step up" is like saying the Big South is a step up from the MEAC.

It is...xshhhx

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
It is...xshhhx

And in basketball circles, it's just about as relevant.

Go...gate
December 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM
LFN, anything new on this? It certainly has potential implications for Patriot League football.

RichH2
December 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Monmouth or Wagner. A move to PL makes little sense for either side except as fodder for a meaningless thread involving basketball. Would either school agree to recruit only players meeting the AI floor. Would they be willing to raise schollies from 40 to 60.
Will PL lower requirements to repeat Towson fiasco.

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2012, 08:40 PM
How many schools has the Ivy Index helped steered clear of the PL for expansion?

Villanova
Richmond
Hofstra
Marist (maybe)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Monmouth or Wagner. A move to PL makes little sense for either side except as fodder for a meaningless thread involving basketball. Would either school agree to recruit only players meeting the AI floor. Would they be willing to raise schollies from 40 to 60.
Will PL lower requirements to repeat Towson fiasco.

Why wouldn't they recruit players that are representative of the rest of the class? What indications do we have that they're not currently doing this already?

The truth is, if they are headed to the MAAC, they now have a "football problem" that now needs solving. The NEC can't have them since it's against their rules. It's unlikely the CAA will be lining up to take on new MAAC/football-only members with their membership so diluted as it is. Pioneer is there if they want to be non-scholarship. The Big South are there if they like to take a lot of trips to Virginia or South Carolina. That leaves the PL.

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2012, 09:19 PM
If the PL would put aside the Ivy Index and go to a 20% rule--recruited athletes must be in the top 20% of their HS class to earn a scholarship, the league gets better athletes that remain "'representative". That would work at a Wagner or a Monmouth. Might even work at Villanova.

Georgetown's admit pool averages the top 3.5% of their HS class. Try building a "representative" recruiting class (and without scholarships) from that kind of pool.

http://www12.georgetown.edu/undergrad/admissions/applying_firstyear_sdprofile.cfm

RichH2
December 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
DFW's idea would be workable. Given our currsnt leaders, I doubt they will allow such a change. I am not implying that either admits recruits not representative of the student body. We still have an AI floor. How many of their recruits exceed that?

Go...gate
December 11th, 2012, 10:52 PM
How many schools has the Ivy Index helped steered clear of the PL for expansion?

Villanova
Richmond
Hofstra
Marist (maybe)

Not Hofstra. Inexplicably, we denied them admission in the mid-1990's. One of the biggest mistakes the conference ever made.

Sader87
December 12th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Not Hofstra. Inexplicably, we denied them admission in the mid-1990's. One of the biggest mistakes the conference ever made.

In lieu of their latest basketball scandai and dropping football, really????

Go...gate
December 12th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Yes, because at that time, Hofstra was much more serious about wanting Presidential control over athletics. HU Coach Joe Gardi, who had an old-school view of eastern football, very much wanted in.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
The truth is, if they are headed to the MAAC, they now have a "football problem" that now needs solving. The NEC can't have them since it's against their rules. It's unlikely the CAA will be lining up to take on new MAAC/football-only members with their membership so diluted as it is. Pioneer is there if they want to be non-scholarship. The Big South are there if they like to take a lot of trips to Virginia or South Carolina. That leaves the PL.

Wrong (again)!

Any NEC member can withdraw from conference membership and re-apply as an associate member in any sport (except basketball). So yes, Monmouth can leave the NEC for the MAAC and still play football in the NEC. However, they would be an associate (non-voting) member for football, no different than Duquesne or Albany, SBU, and St. John's was in the past.

This real issue is - does the remaining NEC membership approve Monmouth's (or any departing football school) application for associate membership in football if they leave? I think that question remains unanswered and very much depends on the situation facing the remaining NEC members - such as is the football AQ at risk, etc.

The NEC "rule" to which you allude to, forbids NEC members from participating in another conference when the NEC sponsor that sport. For example, the NEC sponsors Field Hockey, therefore Quinnipiac cannot chose to play field hockey in America East while remaining a NEC member. The rule is meant to avoid the situation that exists in the MAAC where the league sponsors Men's Lacrosse, but its best team plays in the ECAC.

This is no different that the situation ODU faced when leaving the CAA. They may or may not be approved to be an associate member for certain sports in the CAA – but there is no rule forbidding it. The decision to approve associate membership is up to a vote of the remaining CAA membership.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Any NEC member can withdraw from conference membership and re-apply as an associate member in any sport (except basketball). So yes, Monmouth can leave the NEC for the MAAC and still play football in the NEC. However, they would be an associate (non-voting) member for football, no different than Duquesne or Albany, SBU, and St. John's was in the past.

This would be the first time such an associate membership would have been extended to a team that left the conference in all other sports. Also, in the PL associate members have a seat at the table (and a vote) in football matters. Fordham's seat at that table was an enormous reason why the PL has football scholarships today.

danefan
December 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
This would be the first time such an associate membership would have been extended to a team that left the conference in all other sports. Also, in the PL associate members have a seat at the table (and a vote) in football matters. Fordham's seat at that table was an enormous reason why the PL has football scholarships today.

NEC associates do not get a vote even on football only matters.

A large reason why the NEC only has 40 scholarships today and Albany and Stony Brook are in the CAA tomorrow.......

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Wrong (again)! Siena and Rider are currently both associate NEC members for Field Hockey.

Siena (1981-84) was a charter member of the NEC.
Rider (1992-97) became a field hockey associate member immediately following their departure from the NEC for the MAAC.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Wrong (again)! Siena and Rider are currently both associate NEC members for Field Hockey.

Siena (1981-84) was a charter member of the NEC.
Rider (1992-97) became a field hockey associate member immediately following their departure from the NEC for the MAAC.

I stand corrected. I was referring to football.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM

A large reason why the NEC only has 40 scholarships today and Albany and Stony Brook are in the CAA tomorrow.......

Correct. IMO - You have to put the interests of full members ahead of associates.

Albany and others associate members certainly influenced the league and its policies, but they had no formal vote. I would argue, despite the limitations of scholarships, the relationship between the full members and associate members have been very productive and beneficial for all parties.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I stand corrected. I was referring to football.

OK, but I missed your point (if you even had one).

You understand that this would be the first NEC member with football to leave since the league started sponsoring the sport, so of course it would be the first opportunity for the NEC to decide if it wants to extend an associate membership in football to a departing full member. We have no past history to make a prediction on this issue.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM

This matters, by the way, if both Wagner and Monmouth both leave for the MAAC. There would only be five members that would be full members in football (CCSU, RMU, SFPA, SHU, Bryant) and four non-football members (FDU, LIU-B, SFNY, Mt. St. Mary's) that would have more say in the direction of the NEC (and probably football matters too) than Monmouth or Wagner would.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
OK, but I missed your point (if you even had one).

"This would be the first time such an associate membership would have been extended to a football team that left the conference in all other sports. Also, in the PL associate members have a seat at the table (and a vote) in football matters. Fordham's seat at that table was an enormous reason why the PL has football scholarships today."

Jeez. I'm not a NEC expert like you are, apparently. I don't mind being corrected every so often and I try to be own that mistake, but Jiminy shut the hell up about not having a point.

Nova09
December 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
This real issue is - does the remaining NEC membership approve Monmouth's (or any departing football school) application for associate membership in football if they leave? I think that question remains unanswered and very much depends on the situation facing the remaining NEC members - such as is the football AQ at risk, etc.

The unanimous position of NEC schools is a school which leaves the conference will not be offered associate status for football. You can argue about whether they would follow through or if saying that is more of a deterrent to prevent a school from running to a non-football conference thinking the NEC will still be an option, but that is absolutely the stated position of the membership.

danefan
December 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM
The unanimous position of NEC schools is a school which leaves the conference will not be offered associate status for football. You can argue about whether they would follow through or if saying that is more of a deterrent to prevent a school from running to a non-football conference thinking the NEC will still be an option, but that is absolutely the stated position of the membership.

Where did you see that? Not questioning them for doing it, I just haven't seen anything so defniitive and it sounds like you have.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Where did you see that? Not questioning them for doing it, I just haven't seen anything so defniitive and it sounds like you have.

+1

I have not seen or heard a single comment from anyone affiliated with the NEC (or its members) in an official capacity even hint that the NEC would not allow an existing member to apply for associate membership in football.

I'll be the first to say, if CCSU is stuck in the NEC for all sports and just Monmouth leaves for the MAAC - I would hope our leaderships votes against MU’s application for associate membership in football. However, if the NEC AQ is in jeopardy (2 or more FB teams leave), then the remaining members may have no choice but to offer associate membership until they can add replace members.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'll be the first to say, if CCSU is stuck in the NEC for all sports and just Monmouth leaves for the MAAC - I would hope our leaderships votes against MU’s application for associate membership in football. However, if the NEC AQ is in jeopardy (2 or more FB teams leave), then the remaining members may have no choice but to offer associate membership until they can add replace members.

Who are associate member candidates outside the current group, e.g., schools currently as associate members elsewhere and < 40 scholarships?

Other than Marist or Georgetown, there aren't a lot of candidates.

Nova09
December 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Don't know if it's published anywhere, I assumed it would be because the beat writers I've spoken to all say the same thing but I haven't found it anywhere. I guess they got the info off the record. FWIW, the coaches I know in the conference have also said their administrations gave them the indication that a school that leaves will not be on their schedule in the foreseeable future.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Who are associate member candidates outside the current group, e.g., schools currently as associate members elsewhere and < 40 scholarships?

Other than Marist or Georgetown, there aren't a lot of candidates.

Exactly. I don't think Marist and G-town are joining the NEC as associates in the near-term, if ever.

The NEC currently has 7 members that play football plus 1 associate. So the league can keep the AQ if they lose Monmouth, but if the NEC loses more than 2 members with football, then the league likely has to let departing members come back as associates in football.

Realistically, a 6-team NEC (with the AQ) would have just 5-game league schedule and would have to find 6 non-conf games. That's a tall order for schools and most of those games would be on the road.

Bottom line: If the NEC loses more than 2 current members that play football, they are almost backed into a corner and will likely approve departing members as associate members because there are no replacement teams available.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Don't know if it's published anywhere, I assumed it would be because the beat writers I've spoken to all say the same thing but I haven't found it anywhere. I guess they got the info off the record. FWIW, the coaches I know in the conference have also said their administrations gave them the indication that a school that leaves will not be on their schedule in the foreseeable future.

I guess that depends on the school. CCSU just inked non-conf deals with departing associate member Albany and URI (who backed out of their associate membership before playing a game).

If the NEC just lost Monmouth - I could see the league keeping them out as an associate members, but if more than 1 team leaves, the AQ is at risk and non-conference scheduling becomes very, very difficult for the remaining members.

I agree that the threat to deny associate membership may be implied to limit NEC schools from leaving, but if it is in the best interest of the remaining NEC schools, they may have to swallow some pride and do what they have to keep the league alive.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
The NEC currently has 7 members that play football plus 1 associate. So the league can keep the AQ if they lose Monmouth, but if the NEC loses more than 2 members with football, then the league likely has to let departing members come back as associates in football.

It will be the schools' call. Do they want any say in football matters? Do they want to compete in a conference with 60 (or 0) scholarships, or is 40 about right for them? Just because the NEC invites them back doesn't mean they take it.

I'm a bit surprised that people are writing off Marist so quickly as a potential football-only NEC member.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM
This may all be moot. A poster from Fairfiled is suggesting the MAAC will only add Quinnipiac at this time.

Of course the entire realignment situation hasn't stoppped. But if Friday's MAAC announcement only includes QU, then I would expect the NEC to either do nothing and wait, or simply add NJIT.

UNHWildcat18
December 12th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I really hope AE invites and gets QU over the MAAC....

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Not going to happen. Without Boston U., QU has no desire for the AE.

QU would simply rather be in a conference with Fairfield and Siena, not UNH and Maine. QU doesn't want to be the only private (with Hartford) in America East.

Rememeber the guys running the show at QU still want an A-10 invite someday and they likely see this move to the MAAC as a better way to reach their goal.

I don't think QU is such a great catch - they have yet to go to the NCAAs out of the NEC. But they have a nice facility and a lot of $$.

ccd494
December 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM

I think that ship sailed when Hockey East agreed to add Notre Dame and Connecticut instead of Quinnipiac. If QPac could have used AE membership as a wedge to get into HEA, I could see the AE being more desirable to them. Otherwise, I think they go to the MAAC with their fellow privates and "name" schools like Siena and Iona.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I think that ship sailed when Hockey East agreed to add Notre Dame and Connecticut instead of Quinnipiac. If QPac could have used AE membership as a wedge to get into HEA, I could see the AE being more desirable to them. Otherwise, I think they go to the MAAC with their fellow privates and "name" schools like Siena and Iona.

Yep, that was probably the right time to grab QU. Now, with their hockey teams in the ECAC (rubbing elbows with the Ivys and PL), they will be very happy to join Siena, Iona, and Fairfield in a "basketball focused" conference like the MAAC.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
This may all be moot. A poster from Fairfiled is suggesting the MAAC will only add Quinnipiac at this time.

Of course the entire realignment situation hasn't stoppped. But if Friday's MAAC announcement only includes QU, then I would expect the NEC to either do nothing and wait, or simply add NJIT.

If there's an announcement on Friday and it's only to announce that QU is leaving for the MAAC, the NEC doesn't need to do anything, they can stay at 11 teams and football is still a sturdy 8-team, 7-full member conference. Or as you point out they could choose to finally accept NJIT.

I don't see anything confirming or denying that Monmouth is interested, or uninterested, in moving to the MAAC. Also, Bryant is also the forgotten party in all of this. Originally there were rumors of them being involved as well.

dgreco
December 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM

I hope the NEC doesn't invite NJIT. I just don't see NJIT being a good fit in the NEC. As I have stated many times I rather wait out, add a DII upgrade or add DSU.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I don't see anything confirming or denying that Monmouth is interested, or uninterested, in moving to the MAAC. Also, Bryant is also the forgotten party in all of this. Originally there were rumors of them being involved as well.

Not exactly.

For the record, Wagner was mentioned in the orginal rumor (from William Paxton of the Conn. Post), I don't recall hearing Bryant mentioned from this source.

The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference is discussing expansion and reportedly Quinnipiac University and Monmouth could be joining the conference, according to a source. Wagner, another Northeast Conference school, has also been linked to the MAAC, which lost Loyola (Md.) to the Patriot League earlier this fall.
Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Source-Quinnipiac-Monmouth-could-join-MAAC-4087984.php#ixzz2ErWu8TJK

And yes, Monmouth officals did respond directly to the MAAC rumor.

“We’re still open to all conversations but there’s no news, there’s no formal invitation, there’s no invitation, there’s nothing,” McNeil said.
Monmouth has been a member of the NEC since 1985-86.
McNeil said such a decision would ultimately be made by the school’s Board of Trustees and not by her or Monmouth President Paul Gaffney.
“We’ve had only superficial conversations about movement,” McNeil said.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Not exactly.

For the record, Wagner was mentioned in the orginal rumor (from William Paxton of the Conn. Post), I don't recall hearing Bryant mentioned from this source.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Source-Quinnipiac-Monmouth-could-join-MAAC-4087984.php#ixzz2ErWu8TJK

And yes, Monmouth officals did respond directly to the MAAC rumor.

Thanks for posting the link confirming what I said, they have only acknowledged they are "open to conversations", neither confirming or denying they're going anywhere. Bryant has only been mentioned in terms of AE, but there's no press reports of that either, just a post earlier on this thread that QU and Bryant were rumored to possibly be headed there instead.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Exactly. I don't think Marist and G-town are joining the NEC as associates in the near-term, if ever.

Not in the near term but if a) Marist tires of the PFL frequent flyer program and increased funding, they would be an option, and/or b) if Georgetown cannot compete against full scholarship PL schools, the NEC might be a safe harbor.

UNHWildcat18
December 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
You guys make good points about QU leaving for MAAC, I wish there weren't so many northern conferences. I'm just pissed AE has done nothing over the last few years.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM
According to the same guy who broke the story on the Big East meeting with the seven Catholic schools, this is a done deal.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4230

Conference reconfiguration continues on all levels. According to the sources familiar with the process, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference will add Quinnipiac, Wagner and Monmouth from the Northeast Conference. The announcement will be made on Friday.

The MAAC currently has 10 teams, but will lose Loyola of Maryland to the Patriot League. The newcomers will boost the MAAC to 12 teams.

The Northeast Conference will drop from 12 to 9 teams and presumably add a member to climb back to 10 teams, which is regarded as the optimum number.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Actually, nine is an optimum number as it provides an even home-away schedule.

danefan
December 12th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Actually, nine is an optimum number as it provides an even home-away schedule.

The NEC really need to work on another member in the western PA area.

The three teams out there now (Duquesne, RMU and St Francis) creates a terrible travel schedule that provides a distinct advantage to some teams in certain years. It would be nice if there was one more team so that every team on the eaastern seaboard had to travel out there twice a year instead of now having some going once and others twice.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM
The NEC really need to work on another member in the western PA area.

The three teams out there now (Duquesne, RMU and St Francis) creates a terrible travel schedule that provides a distinct advantage to some teams in certain years. It would be nice if there was one more team so that every team on the eaastern seaboard had to travel out there twice a year instead of now having some going once and others twice.

Hard to envision any candidates left that play at this level that are not taken. Youngstown State is within range but won't drop to 40 scholarships, and California (PA) isn't upgrading.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/12/realignmentaggedon-monmouth-quinnipiac.html

No 60 scholarship conference would be a better fit geographically for Monmouth and Wagner than the Patriot League, nestling perfectly south between Lehigh, Lafayette, and Fordham. Furthermore, if both went to the Patriot League their membership would be nine members - five full-time members, and four associates - that would be perfect for scheduling.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
According to the same guy who broke the story on the Big East meeting with the seven Catholic schools, this is a done deal.

Wow, this could be very interesting. We won't know until Friday, but this doesn't look good for the NEC. :(

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/12/realignmentaggedon-monmouth-quinnipiac.html

But what do the PL Presidents think?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM
But what do the PL Presidents think?

The million-dollar Q. We agree!

danefan
December 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Looks like its QU, Monmouth and Wagner

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/12/12/maac-adds-quinnipiac-monmouth-and-wagner/

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
2013 NEC Football?
1. Bryant
2. CCSU
3. Robert Morris
4. Sacred Heart
5. Saint Francis
6. Duquesne (associate)

Sure we keep the AQ, but that's a 5-game league schedule. A total disaster for the remaining members, with no real possibility for replacements for next season.

If this goes down, I fully expect the NEC to allow MU and Wagner to be associate members for football, if they want. They likely get a 2-year agreement covering 2013 & 2014 as both sides work on contingency planning and any other additional conference realignments.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Ugh .. look at that league .. horrible if it ends like that. I may get sick...

3 schools in CT/RI and 3 schools in Western PA. What kind of crap is that?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ugh .. look at that league .. horrible if it ends like that. I may get sick...

3 schools in CT/RI and 3 schools in Western PA. What kind of crap is that?

I wonder if Delaware State and Morgan State would move as a unit...

UNHWildcat18
December 12th, 2012, 03:35 PM
If this happens, AE needs to add Bryant and CCSU pronto.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM

I agree!

With this move the NEC loses its AQ for Men's Lax (which is just earned starting this year). Bryant has a nationally-ranked Men's Lax program that would help America East a lot.

CCSU and Bryant both have very solid baseball teams which would strenghten the AE in that sport.

And of course, with only 8 members next year, adding CCSU and Bryant would give the the AE 10 for hoops.

IMO - adding these 2 teams is a no brainer, but we'll see what happens (and when).

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM

... who will do what with their football programs?

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM

I'll answer that on Friday after we figure out what Monmouth and Wagner do ;)

van
December 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM

the article seems to indicate they would stay in the NEC as football associates, similar to Duquesne now. Seems to make the most sense.

ccd494
December 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM
If CCSU and Bryant go AE, Duquesne is in the A-10, and Monmouth and Wagner are in the MAAC, that leaves 3 NEC schools. So, no reason to necessarily involve the NEC at all. It remains a viable football conference, it just wouldn't be the "NEC." Maybe call it the "Northeast Football Conference" and petition the NCAA to maintain the NEC autobid.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM
If CCSU and Bryant go AE, Duquesne is in the A-10, and Monmouth and Wagner are in the MAAC, that leaves 3 NEC schools. So, no reason to necessarily involve the NEC at all. It remains a viable football conference, it just wouldn't be the "NEC." Maybe call it the "Northeast Football Conference" and petition the NCAA to maintain the NEC autobid.

If all those moves were made as you suggest ccd494, then NEC could simply keep ownership of the football AQ and just have the associate members pay dues. It isn't hard to do and is actually a money maker for the NEC teams. One-sport conferences like Hockey East don't get NCAA Board representation, that's why the NEC would "keep" sponsoring football instead of chartering it seperatly. It is really no big deal that the NEC football has less full memebrs than associates, as long as all the teams in the agreement gain something from the deal.

If both MU and Wagner move to the MAAC on Friday as rumored, then my guess is the NEC works out a deal to accept them as associate members in FB. Bryant and CCSU would be wise to broker this deal, if they have any interest in jumping ship to the AE for next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Again, if Wagner and Monmouth both have any interest in remaining 40 scholarship schools. And if the NEC will let them.

dgreco
December 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Surprising that this is actually going to happen. I would say AEast for CCSU and Bryant is one option or saving the NEC and adding DSU, Morgan State and a third (maybe NJIT, but I would prefer a football member) would be another option.

I think a 12 team NEC of

Bryant *
CCSU *
Delaware State *
Fairleigh Dickinson
Long Island
Morgan State *
Mount St. Mary's
NJIT/Bentley/LIU-Post/IUP
Robert Morris *
St. Francis (PA) *
St. Francis (NY)
Sacred Heart *

7 or 8 FB members + Duquesne and a 12 team conference again

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Nothing really new, since nothing will be official until at least Friday, but the NEC commissioner confirms what I've been saying regarding MU and Wagner staying in the NEc for football.

It was not immediately known when Monmouth would begin MAAC competition. Noreen Morris, commissioner of the Northeast Conference, said Wednesday that schools leaving the league are required to pay a $250,000 exit fee. Monmouth’s departure from the NEC could leave its FCS football program looking for a new home.

While the MAAC supports 24 sports and has automatic qualification to 15 NCAA championships, it does not sponsor football.

Morris said her league’s rules mandate that if Monmouth were leave the NEC but seek to play NEC football it would need to apply as an associate member. It would then require approval by NEC presidents who would also determine an unspecified associate membership fee.http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2012/12/12/mu-move-to-maac-all-but-official/

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM

According to comments made by Tony Grahm of the Asbury Park Press on his blog, the PL never seriously considered Monmouth as a PL member for football.

Tony Graham says:

December 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

MJ – as far as i know…never. MU would have liked to have gone there some years back but I do not believe PL ever really considered MU….the PL thinks it’s the little Ivy league you know …

Original_RMC
December 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Opinion: Time For RMU To Risk Leaving NEC (http://robertmorris.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1448486)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM
According to comments made by Tony Grahm of the Asbury Park Press on his blog, the PL never seriously considered Monmouth as a PL member for football.

We'll see on Friday what Wagner and Monmouth want to do with their football programs - 0, 40, or 60-63 scholarships. I maintain there is no better regional place for those programs than the Patriot League, if both parties want each other. The PL leadership has told me before they have been looking at football-only schools before to fill out their football membership - I think they're very happy at 10 schools in all their other sports - and this would be the first time Monmouth and Wagner would be going to the PL with football-only membership in mind.

dgreco
December 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Opinion: Time For RMU To Risk Leaving NEC (http://robertmorris.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1448486)
No way RMU gets a CAA invite, but I think it might result in more NEC teams looking at moving. Especially CCSU, Bryant, and RMU. With CCSU probably being the first of the next three to make a move.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 06:16 AM
No way RMU gets a CAA invite, but I think it might result in more NEC teams looking at moving. Especially CCSU, Bryant, and RMU. With CCSU probably being the first of the next three to make a move.

I see Bryant/CCSU as the best option for the AE and they likey leave as a pair at the same time.

Bryant's nationally-ranked Men's Lax would be a huge coup for the AE.

CCSU basketball is the best program the AE is likely able to attract.

Both teams have solid baseball programs for the Northeast and get the league to 10 memebers. As loog at they can keep football in the NEC as an assoaciate (or move to CAA Football), this should get done soon.

RMU is a very good program, but they are way outside the AE footprint which hurts.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 06:19 AM
We'll see on Friday what Wagner and Monmouth want to do with their football programs - 0, 40, or 60-63 scholarships. I maintain there is no better regional place for those programs than the Patriot League, if both parties want each other. The PL leadership has told me before they have been looking at football-only schools before to fill out their football membership - I think they're very happy at 10 schools in all their other sports It- and this would be the first time Monmouth and Wagner would be going to the PL with football-only membership in mind.

I don't think MU and Wagner has the choice you present for full scholarship football. Because even if they want it, they still need an invite.

And the PL isn't really an option beacsue as you keep suggesting, because there is no shred of evidence from PL officials they would accept these schools as FB-only members. Until that changes (and we hear at leat a peep from the PL to confirm), MU and Wagner will likely stay in the NEC for football as associate members.

danefan
December 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM
FWIW....release of the CAA 2013 conference football schedule was supposed to be released and has been delayed......

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
FWIW....release of the CAA 2013 conference football schedule was supposed to be released and has been delayed......

Interesting ... CAA Football at 11 teams could really use 1 more, but who knows if that delay is actually related to any ongoing discussions with potential schools.

We'll certainly know more about NEC Football on tomorow.

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Welcome to the CAA - the schedule has been a train wreck process the past 2 years.

danefan
December 13th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the CAA - the schedule has been a train wreck process the past 2 years.

My understanding is that it is done and ready if the membership stays the same.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Interesting ... CAA Football at 11 teams could really use 1 more, but who knows if that delay is actually related to any ongoing discussions with potential schools.

We'll certainly know more about NEC Football on tomorow.

What if Monmouth went to the CAA, and Wagner went to the PL or Big South? Monmouth was rumored to be a part of CAA expansion last year.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
What if Monmouth went to the CAA, and Wagner went to the PL or Big South? Monmouth was rumored to be a part of CAA expansion last year.

It guess is technically possible, but who really thinks that scenario is realistic?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM
It guess is technically possible, but who really thinks that scenario is realistic?

More realistic than the "stay in the NEC" **** you've been pushing the last 24 hours.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
More realistic than the "stay in the NEC" **** you've been pushing the last 24 hours.

Again, we'll see tomorrow.

dgreco
December 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
If Monmouth ends up in the CAA for football it is one of the biggest coups of all time.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
For the record, nothing is certain that all 3 are leaving. Quinnipiac is almost certain, but there remains doubts about Wagner, and to a lesser extent Monmouth.

Ben Doody ‏@bendoody
Source said Q-Pac and Monmouth are the most likely teams to be added. Less certain about Wagner.

Ben Doody ‏@bendoody
Per a source, it's very likely MAAC will add at least two teams after presidents meeting tomorrow. Less clear that they'll add three.

http://twitter.com/bendoody

wapiti
December 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Patriot League.

PL teams going to the NEC.
I could see where that would be an improvement for the PL teams making the jump.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM
From the New Haven Register:

By Ben Doody
[email protected]

According to two sources with knowledge of the situation, Quinnipiac University is likely to be invited to join the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference after the league's presidents meet Friday.

The sources asked not to be identified because they weren't authorized to speak about the league's plans.

Monmouth University is also likely to get an invitation. Ajerseyguy.com reported Wednesday that Wagner would also get an invitation, but a source said it's not clear whether the league will vote to add a third team.

MAAC commissioner Rich Ensor said in a text message that he didn't expect the league to make any announcements Friday. Whichever schools are added will announce the moves after they complete the process of leaving their current conferences.

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
If Monmouth ends up in the CAA for football it is one of the biggest coups of all time.

Don't hold your breath.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM
And a Newark Star-Ledger reporter has tweeted this:

Brendan Prunty ‏@BrendanPrunty
Also on MAAC conference expansion: Source told me reports of membership invites are premature. Presidents still voting to expand tomorrow.

I would not be suprised if Blauds story was not based on a quality source, but he just ran with William Paxton's original story. The guy is supposed to be a Boston Collge expert, yet he was totally blindsided when they hired a new coach. His story about potential BC coaches was way off the mark.

Nova09
December 13th, 2012, 09:54 AM
For the record, nothing is certain that all 3 are leaving. Quinnipiac is almost certain, but there remains doubts about Wagner, and to a lesser extent Monmouth.

I never believed it was as straight forward as 3 NEC schools all going to the MAAC. It might ultimately play out that way months from now, but there are other conferences involved, and 2 of those schools aren't even sure on their own campuses they want to be doing anything.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Interesting.

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/A-school-by-school-look-at-potential-MAAC-4113112.php?cmpid=twitter

If the MAAC expands to 12 teams, Doris said Wednesday it wouldn't necessarily split into two divisions because that would cause an unbalanced schedule.
Here's a look at some of the candidates that could be added to the conference:

Monmouth University
Undergraduate enrollment: 4,700
U.S. News Best Colleges: 37th in North Region.
Did you know?: Men's basketball program has been to five NCAA tournaments since 1996, and former UNC star guard King Rice is quickly rebuilding the program.
Intangibles: Opened $57 million Multipurpose Activity Center in 2009 to help increase exposure of the school and its athletic programs. ... School has 19 varsity sports, including a men's soccer team that has hosted three NCAA games since 2009.
Why the school works: Fits MAAC profile, ideal location for other conference schools, and the addition of the MAC.

Wagner College
Undergraduate enrollment: 1,856
U.S. News Best Colleges: 26th in North Region.
Did you know?: The school was originally founded in 1883 in Rochester, N.Y., as the Rochester Lutheran Proseminary to train ministers. Moved to Staten Island in 1918.
Intangibles: Highly regarded on academic side with top-25 rankings in The Princeton Review (No. 2 theater program) and U.S. News (graduate program). ... Seventh smallest school to compete at D-I level in athletics. ... Added women's volleyball (MAAC sport) and wrestling in 2009. ... According to U.S. News, athletic program has 15th best graduation rate in the nation. ... Prior to leaving for URI, Dan Hurley rebuilt basketball program in two seasons and received national attention for upset over Pitt last season.
Why the school works: Fits MAAC profile, geographic location, strong academic record.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I never believed it was as straight forward as 3 NEC schools all going to the MAAC. It might ultimately play out that way months from now, but there are other conferences involved, and 2 of those schools aren't even sure on their own campuses they want to be doing anything.

I think Wagner was always a bit of a suprise. If given the chance, they probably go, but I'm not sure this was in their plans.

We know QU wanted out and I think that even applies to MU. Monmouth didn't build their facility to play in the NEC. They should be doing much better than Rider and on par with what FU, Siena, and Iona have achieved.

http://www.app.com/article/20121213/NJSPORTS0220/312130022/Monmouth-s

downbythebeach
December 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
They can have Quinnipiac.
I've been up there once. IMO that is the worst part of the country and I went to college in Central PA.
I had not realized the school had 7,000 students.
Either way CCSU and SHU are bigger assets to the NEC.
QU has a nice gym. Who cares? Their teams suck and they are not even good in the NEC in basketball.
Why don't they take Fairleigh Dickenson while they are at it.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM

I'm not sure if Wagner ends up with an invite tomorrow, but if (or when) they do, they will accept without hesitation.

Just look at the path of former NEC schools:

Towson (Charter member, 1981-82) ---> ECC ---> Big South ---> America East ---> CAA
Siena (Charter member, 1981-84) ---> North Atlantic/America East ---> MAAC
Loyola (Charter member, 1981-89) ---> MAAC ---> Patriot League
Marist (Charter member, 1981-97) ---> MAAC
Rider (1992-97) ---> MAAC
UMBC (1998-03) ---> America East
---
Wagner (Charter member, 1981-??)
Monmouth (1985-??)
Quinnipiac (1998-??)

DSUrocks07
December 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
So is the idea to have the NEC become the predominant Private school conference in the Northeast and the America East to be the predominant Public school conference in the Northeast? With the MAAC being predominantly focused around New York City?

And those who have football all play in the NEC? (or other associate memberships?)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Interesting development from an interview last night. CT Post interviewing Fairfield AD Gene Doris.

http://blog.ctnews.com/college/2012/12/13/qa-with-fairfield-ad-gene-doris-on-maac-expansion/

1. So what’s going on with the MAAC right now?

Doris: “Quite frankly, as I mentioned to you last time, is speculation. I mean are the presidents going to talk about potential changes in the league? Yeah. What’s going to come out of that, that’s another story.

“There’s a number of schools that they looked at, and in fairness to those schools, it’s not fair to throw them out there because if they don’t get in people are going to start questioning (why not).

“Originally when I talked to you I said they could stay at nine, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think we will at least replace Loyola and then the question is do you go to 11 or 12. And I think the possibility of going to 11 is there.”

2. So, the league won’t go to 12 teams?

Doris: “I think 12 will happen but not this year. I don’t believe that to be the case because there are too many unknown situations in regard to schools that are involved. That being the case, I would be surprised if they came back and said we decided to do knowing. I think it will be 1 or 2 coming in.”

I think the MAAC makes sense at 10 or 12, at 11 not so much, but I guess let's see tomorrow.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
More from the NY Daily News:

MAAC set to vote in new members: Quinnipiac, Monmouth considered locks, Wagner College an outside chance

Presidents from Manhattan, Iona, Fairfield, Marist, St. Peter’s, Siena, Rider, Niagara and Canisius are expected to green light the addition of up to three teams for next season with Quinnipiac and Monmouth of the Northeast Conference appearing to be locks. There have been reports that Wagner College, also of the NEC, might be a third team to jump to the MAAC. But sources told the Daily News that the Seahawks will instead remain as a member of the Northeast Conference. There is also the chance the MAAC will add just two schools this time around and play as an 11-team conference next season.

Other schools that have been mentioned as possible targets included LaSalle of Philadelphia, which played in the MAAC from the 1983-84 season through the 1991-92 campaign before jumping to the Atlantic 10, as well as a pair of southern schools, Davidson and Elon, which would have expanded the conference’s reach from Buffalo to the Carolinas. But it is not clear if the latter three schools were ever serious contenders.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/bigger-maac-conference-add-schools-article-1.1219614#ixzz2EyqHwG1u

Go...gate
December 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Interesting.

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/A-school-by-school-look-at-potential-MAAC-4113112.php?cmpid=twitter

LFN, you thinking Wagner to the Patriot?

fc97
December 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Elon and Davidson?????

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM
LFN, you thinking Wagner to the Patriot?

I think they could be, if indeed they decide to go to the MAAC. We'll see. Both Monmouth and Wagner could be candidates.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2012, 11:34 PM
So Mr. Blaudschun updated his original post to read:

Conference reconfiguration continues on all levels. According to the sources familiar with the process, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference will add Quinnipiac, and Monmouth from the Northeast Conference. Wagner was on the list to join, but sources familiar with the process at Wagner said the Seahawks had second thoughts about the financial commitments necessary. The announcement will be made on Friday.

The MAAC currently has 10 teams, but will lose Loyola of Maryland to the Patriot League. The newcomers will boost the MAAC to 11 teams if Wagner chooses not to join.

So it's looking like Monmouth and QU are going and Wagner is not at this time.

Again, though, is the unanswered question of Hawk football, and it's still tied to whether Monmouth wants to compete with 0, 40, 60, or 63 scholarships.

PAllen
December 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Wagner to the PL, can I barf now? If that happens, what the hell are they thinking in Center Valley? Why don't we just invite LCCC and be done with it?

fc97
December 14th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Why not Elon, Davidson, Furman, The Citadel and VMI to the Patriot rather than going after Wagner? Especially since Elon and Davidson were already MAAC targets.

Nova09
December 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM
So Mr. Blaudschun updated his original post to read:

So it's looking like Monmouth and QU are going and Wagner is not at this time.

Again, though, is the unanswered question of Hawk football, and it's still tied to whether Monmouth wants to compete with 0, 40, 60, or 63 scholarships.

Assuming by 40 you mean staying NEC, that is not an option. I know I already said this without a source, but now a source has told me that one of the NEC ADs said on the radio last night that the NEC had a vote and it is decided that a school that leaves cannot be an associate member for football, with the stipulation that the issue can be reopen for debate if the AQ is in jeopardy. I still don't have a link cuz I don't feel like searching for it but I don't think anyone would make up that this was said on the radio, which anyone could hear.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Assuming by 40 you mean staying NEC, that is not an option. I know I already said this without a source, but now a source has told me that one of the NEC ADs said on the radio last night that the NEC had a vote and it is decided that a school that leaves cannot be an associate member for football, with the stipulation that the issue can be reopen for debate if the AQ is in jeopardy. I still don't have a link cuz I don't feel like searching for it but I don't think anyone would make up that this was said on the radio, which anyone could hear.
Makes sense. If just MU leaves, it makes it eaiser for the remaining NEC President to say "no" to associate membership in football.

However, if 2 football schools leave the NEC, it makes it more difficult to say "no" because even if the AQ isn't technically in jeopardy, scheduling would be very difficult for the remaining members.

PAllen
December 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Why not Elon, Davidson, Furman, The Citadel and VMI to the Patriot rather than going after Wagner? Especially since Elon and Davidson were already MAAC targets.

Travel costs are all that's stopping Davidson. Furman and Wofford would be welcomed with open arms if they were in Virginia.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Is it just me or does the idea of any of LaSalle, Davidson or Elon to the MAAC seem incredibly far-fetched? LaSalle is NOT leaving the A-10, Elon isn't exactly a basketball upgrade and would have to downgrade in football from the SoCon to (presumably) the Big South, and if the CAA was a problem for Bob Killop and Davidson, what would he think about heading to Siena and Canisius in January?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
@tonygsports MU to the MAAC. MU has received the invitation and plans to accept per MU president Paul Gaffney.

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Is it just me or does the idea of any of LaSalle, Davidson or Elon to the MAAC seem incredibly far-fetched? LaSalle is NOT leaving the A-10, Elon isn't exactly a basketball upgrade and would have to downgrade in football from the SoCon to (presumably) the Big South, and if the CAA was a problem for Bob Killop and Davidson, what would he think about heading to Siena and Canisius in January?

About as far fetched as Georgetown joining a group of Catholic basketball has-beens, now does it?

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Per Tony Graham of the Asbury Park Press:

It’s official.

In a telephone call this morning, Monmouth University president Paul Gaffney received an invitation for the Hawks’ athletic teams to join the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, and indicated the school will accept.

Monmouth will begin competing in the MAAC next fall.

More to come, so stay tuned. http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2012/12/14/monmouth-accepts-maac-invitation/

Larryl9797
December 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Now wouldnt it be funny if QU got passed up alltogether?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Now wouldnt it be funny if QU got passed up alltogether?

It would. And very surprisingly, nobody yet over there has piped up and said they've got an invite. Though with the elementary school shooting in CT today, I don't blame them.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Their official release is out............ and no mention of football.

http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205825201&DB_OEM_ID=14300

Does this mean we have to wait for 1PM on Monday to find anything out?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
@ChipMalafronte Quinnipiac has accepted an invitation to join the MAAC. Press conference scheduled for Saturday. #MAAC

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Their official release is out............ and no mention of football.

http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205825201&DB_OEM_ID=14300

Does this mean we have to wait for 1PM on Monday to find anything out?

Probably, but Tony may get a few leads over the weekend.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:27 AM
MU Football..as week speak ..is in limbo as the MAAC does not sponsor football. Only Marist and now MU are the MAAC football schools. Marist is in the Pioneer League.

We the think it is likely MU will apply to the NEC to remain in the league in football as an associate member…

Will be interesting to find out what happens. I'm thinking Big South. Patriot League may be in play, may not.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Will be interesting to find out what happens. I'm thinking Big South. Patriot League may be in play, may not.

Where was that quote from?

If the NEC Presidents say no to associate membership, I think the Big South is much more likely than the Patriot. I guess there is also an outside shot at CAA Football, but I think that woulkd be a very longshot.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Tony Graham:

MU statement on football from the AD: MU looks forward to continuing its positive relationship with the NEC in football. and in field hockey and bowling. MU will apply for associate membership in those three sports. - Marilyn McNeil.

So they will re-apply for membership.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Where was that quote from?

If the NEC Presidents say no to associate membership, I think the Big South is much more likely than the Patriot. I guess there is also an outside shot at CAA Football, but I think that woulkd be a very longshot.

That was from Tony G's blog posting which was updated.

I agree, the Big South seems a more likely destination if the NEC presidents vote them out.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Tony Graham:

So they will re-apply for membership.

As I expected. :) I guess the NEC Presidents can say "no," but I doubt it.

CCSU and Bryant will probably support associate membership for MU because may need to do the same thing if the AE comes calling

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM
As I expected. :) I guess the NEC Presidents can say "no," but I doubt it.

CCSU and Bryant will probably support associate membership for MU because may need to do the same thing if the AE comes calling

I wonder what coach Callahan thinks of all this?

fc97
December 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM

traveling wasn't mckillop's problem, money guarantee vs travel costs was the trustees problem.

i still think you could get a core of vmi, elon, davidson, furman, wofford, the citadel and together with loyola or someone and get a southern tier patriot league that is fairly significant. getting the military schools together would be cool. getting a core group of southern private schools to go along with the mid-atlantic private schools would be cool. seems like it could be a win-win for all.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
traveling wasn't mckillop's problem, money guarantee vs travel costs was the trustees problem.

"The MAAC! Same travel costs! Less revenue!"

dgreco
December 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
According to NEC officials, the NEC is strong with 10 members. From the comments it appears Wagner may have decided to stay/didn't get an invite?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
According to NEC officials, the NEC is strong with 10 members. From the comments it appears Wagner may have decided to stay/didn't get an invite?

I am taking that as a "Wagner remains in the NEC" signal.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wagner wasn't invited. There is no way that would say "no" to the invite.

The NEC still has more members next year (10) than America East (8), so I guess that's a positive. And of course, NJIT is still on the sidelines and available.

But you can't help but notice that the 2 programs investing the most into basketball facilities have left - so what does that really say about the NEC's future. :(

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Wagner wasn't invited. There is no way that would say "no" to the invite.

The NEC still has more members next year (10) than America East (8), so I guess that's a positive. And of course, NJIT is still on the sidelines and available.

But you can't help but notice that the 2 programs investing the most into basketball facilities have left - so what does that really say about the NEC's future. :(

Or what it says about NEC football's future. Monmouth could still leave at any time for another conference, and if the MAAC feels Wagner might be a possibility later as well, so could Wagner.

For example, what if Callahan told his AD next month that he wanted to play in the Big South or CAA? What would stop them?

This also assumes that the NEC will still want them, too. How does LIU-B feel about football, for example?

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
For example, what if Callahan told his AD next month that he wanted to play in the Big South or CAA? What would stop them?

Simple, lack of an invite.

MU may want t join the PL or CAA or Big South - I have no idea. The more important matter is do any of these leagues want Monmouth football as a member? Until you can get some intel on that perspective, I will stick with my view - the NEC will allow MU football to stay as an associate.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Simple, lack of an invite.

MU may want t join the PL or CAA or Big South - I have no idea. The more important matter is do any of these leagues want Monmouth football as a member? Until you can get some intel on that perspective, I will stick with my view - the NEC will allow MU football to stay as an associate.

Let me spare you the research right now and tell you the Big South would take Monmouth in a heartbeat. If you hadn't noticed they're not exactly a stable conference and they're losing SBU. It could work out for both sides - Big South keeps autobid (and I guess recruiting in the Northeast), Monmouth gets to 63 scholarships. Negative is a lot of travel costs.

PL is less certain, IMO. They would like football-only members to get to 8 or 9 but of course new members need to accept the AI and the presidents have to say OK.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
A couple more interesting tidbits:

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2012/12/monmouth_university_accepts_invite_to_join_maac_in _2013_leaving_northeast_conference.html

The MAAC conference will also welcome in Quinnipiac University in Connecticut as another new member next season. There are reports that Wagner College on Staten Island will be the 12th and final invited member of the conference, however no invitation has been extended yet.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2012/12/14/3767110/conference-realignment-maac-nec-quinnipiac-monmouth-northeast-lacrosse

[In regards to lacrosse] With these two schools departing the league, the conference will -- after the moves -- only have a constitution of five teams, one fewer than the mandatory threshold of six to earn an automatic invitation to the NCAA Tournament. What happens as a result is, of course, opaque; the standard responses of "expansion through lacrosse-only confederation," "make all these teams the problem of another conference," "elevate a program already in the league," and "independence" are on the table. This situation is further complicated by the fact that Quinnipiac and Monmouth will depart the NEC for the MAAC after this spring season. The problem with these responses with respect to the NEC, though, is that the NEC has little clout outside of some nice things happening at Bryant, Mount St. Mary's, and Robert Morris. Attracting teams into that league to ensure that it will keep its auto-bid status is a difficult thing to imagine. Then again, Quinnipiac and Monmouth just left the NEC for the MAAC so anything is possible on the spectrum of "makes no sense" to "whatever." I'd have to think that at rightthisverysecond that the NEC -- to save itself for auto-bid purposes -- is dead unless it can find an associate member somewhere by, like, tomorrow given the compressed timeline of these schools' departures.

This is really interesting in terms of Bryant and RMU as well as Wagner. It's not hard to see Bryant perhaps looking at America East for lacrosse. For RMU, what leagues even play lacrosse out of western PA?

Could CCSU and Bryant head to America East as a unit? If they do, what do the central/west PA team, notably RMU, do?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Statement from the NEC:

http://northeastconference.org/news/2012/12/14/GEN_StatementOnRealignment_12_14_12.aspx

"This morning, I was informed by the presidents of Monmouth University and Quinnipiac University of their decision to withdraw from the Northeast Conference as of June 30, 2013. We are now the 25th Division I conference to be impacted by the wave of conference realignment.

"The Northeast Conference is excited about its future and the possibilities that lie ahead. Next year we will be 10 members strong; and all 10 members are fully committed to the league and its vision for success. The NEC Council of Presidents recently adopted a new 5-year strategic plan which clearly outlines the importance of the sport of basketball and the desire to remain on the cutting edge relative to media exposure and branding.

"We are proud of the Northeast Conference's 32-year heritage and our continued commitment to be a leader in academic achievement, athletic success and community partnership. Our institutions are entirely dedicated to providing a forum for student-athletes to develop and grow as scholars and athletes."

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Statement from the NEC:

http://northeastconference.org/news/2012/12/14/GEN_StatementOnRealignment_12_14_12.aspx

25 conferences have been effected?

Statements don't mean much. All the big conferences regrouped and upped exit fees. Teams still left.

DFW HOYA
December 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Which conferences have not changed its roster in the last four years?

Ivy, sure. Can't think of any others, to be honest.

dgreco
December 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I am ready to see Bryant move, I never liked us in the NEC, but now with all the more committed schools leaving or possibly leaving I don't want to see what this will do to Bryant athletics. Why invest in moving up to DI to be in a conference that does nothing but get PIGs/bottom seeds.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
A couple more interesting tidbits:

The MAAC conference will also welcome in Quinnipiac University in Connecticut as another new member next season. There are reports that Wagner College on Staten Island will be the 12th and final invited member of the conference, however no invitation has been extended yet.

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2012/12/monmouth_university_accepts_invite_to_join_maac_in _2013_leaving_northeast_conference.html

Very interesting comments regarding Wagner. The MAAC at 11 teams seems odd, I just wonder what the hold up on the Wagner invite is.

The NEC's response is pro forma - I don't belive a word of it. Bryant and CCSU have to be exploring their options as we speek. Who knows, maybe there is nowhere for them to go, but I can assure you their commintment to the NEC is in words only.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 01:55 PM
For the record, I think Noreen is a fantastic commisioner. Her leadership has been fantastic, I just don't think she can do anything but put a positive spinn on this - it is her job.

But the NEC lost 2 of its biggest budget programs and the NEC's best facilities to the MAAC. Sorry, it just isn't good news for the remaining members of the NEC anyway you slice it.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2012, 03:04 PM
President Paul Gaffney-MAAC Statement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOH_u3To9ug&feature=youtu.be

According to this they are upgrading their football facility too. We are in huge trouble if the get into CAA Football.

bluehenbillk
December 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM
President Paul Gaffney-MAAC Statement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOH_u3To9ug&feature=youtu.be

According to this they are upgrading their football facility too. We are in huge trouble if the get into CAA Football.

Man you're obsessed with the CAA....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM
He mentions the creation of a "sports complex" for Monmouth late in the video, with new locker rooms for home/visiting coaches in football, etc.

I will mention again just before Albany and SBU were admitted to the CAA in football only this past summer, Monmouth was also mentioned as a serious possibility for the CAA.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/07/know-your-2012-opponents-monmouth.html

The CAA, as has been well documented, lost three schools this offseason, including two that played football briefly in their conference, Old Dominion and Georgia State.

Out of Richmond, one team that has consistently popped up in membership speculation in the CAA has been none other than Monmouth.

CAA commissioner Tom Yeager and [new Richmond head football coach] Danny Rocco declined to name expansion candidates, but in the discussion are believed to be Appalachian State, Stony Brook, Albany, VMI, Monmouth, Coastal Carolina and Hampton. URI may re-enroll if the Rams sense a CAA with a stronger Northern accent.

"I don't think there's any doubt that we will remain in real good standing," Rocco said. "I think the CAA will have numerous options to pursue expansion. The initial decision would have to be, nine or 12?"

By 2013, CAA Football will be down to eight members. League members want at least nine so they can play eight conference games.

The premier conference in FCS may look at some Northern schools, including Stony Brook, Albany or Monmouth, to help ease travel for Maine and New Hampshire.

Monmouth's inclusion in the list is curious, as they're the only all-sports member in the NEC that is mentioned in the list of expansion candidates. (Albany competes in the NEC in football, but competes in America East in all other sports.)

It would also be strange to see the Hawks' Kessler field, which seats 4,000 on a good day, in the same stadium lineup as Delaware, whose stadium hosts 18,000 fans at the Tub on a regular basis.

Still, it's been a strange offseason, so you can't count anything out - and if the CAA is serious about getting football schools to help the travel concerns of football-only members Maine and New Hampshire, they could do a lot worse than the Hawks, who actually have built a good Division I athletics program basically from scratch in a little under 20 years.

danefan
December 14th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Monmouth would need to do a whole lot more than just add some lockerrooms if they want to play in the CAA.

Start by building a stadium.

Go...gate
December 15th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Have to admit I have not paid much attention to sports in the last couple days. Glad to have a chance to chat for a few minutes to suspend my shock and sadness.

Pard4Life
December 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Monmouth would need to do a whole lot more than just add some lockerrooms if they want to play in the CAA.

Start by building a stadium.

Yup. Metal bleachers on one side of the field and no atmosphere... at least Fordham has that.

Seawolf97
December 16th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I think Monmouth has quite aways to go before the CAA comes calling.

aceinthehole
December 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Monmouth staying in the NEC for football is the most likely outcome.

Monmouth athletic director Marilyn McNeil said the school will be applying to the NEC as an associate member in its sports of football, field hockey and women’s bowling, sports which the MAAC does not sponsor.

Rider is an associate NEC member in field hockey where it has defeated Monmouth in the last 3 NEC Tournament championship games.

“Monmouth is totally committed to football,” McNeil said. “We will find a home for football, that is my next challenge and I plan to work hard at it.”
McNeil said she is “very optimistic” Monmouth will return to the NEC in football.

“We’re willing to commit long term to them if that’s what it takes,” she said. “I think we’ll be a valuable member to them.”

http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2012/12/17/mu-athletics-now-on-the-maac-track/

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
But not the only possible outcome.

If things don’t work out with the NEC she said Monmouth would seek an associate membership in other conferences which she declined to specify.

superman7515
December 18th, 2012, 11:49 AM
You say they were given serious consideration and then quote an article you wrote yourself as the source, an article in which it says that the two people with direct knowledge of the situation didn't name anyone, but an assumption was made concerning certain schools?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2012, 11:54 AM
You say they were given serious consideration and then quote an article you wrote yourself as the source, an article in which it says that the two people with direct knowledge of the situation didn't name anyone, but an assumption was made concerning certain schools?

They are nested quotes. This portion:

CAA commissioner Tom Yeager and [new Richmond head football coach] Danny Rocco declined to name expansion candidates, but in the discussion are believed to be Appalachian State, Stony Brook, Albany, VMI, Monmouth, Coastal Carolina and Hampton. URI may re-enroll if the Rams sense a CAA with a stronger Northern accent.

"I don't think there's any doubt that we will remain in real good standing," Rocco said. "I think the CAA will have numerous options to pursue expansion. The initial decision would have to be, nine or 12?"

By 2013, CAA Football will be down to eight members. League members want at least nine so they can play eight conference games.

The premier conference in FCS may look at some Northern schools, including Stony Brook, Albany or Monmouth, to help ease travel for Maine and New Hampshire.

comes from these Richmond Times-Dispatch articles:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/archive/caa-looking-in-every-direction-for-new-members/article_7a4221c3-b11c-535c-b83d-002f5f5d2bb8.html
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/jun/15/tdsport03-from-field-office-urs-rocco-sees-bright--ar-1989363/

superman7515
January 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
So they didn't get to stay in NEC? Hmm....