PDA

View Full Version : Bomar Watch Continues for SHSU, SFA

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM
He did once again visit SHSU practice this past Tuesday AM and according to the article below that, stopped by SFA practice as well. Of course, the article in the Daily Sentinel calls I-A, Division I. Ugh! Oh well, the watch is still on. UH Cougars were dancing in the streets about the possible pickup of Bomar, thinking it was a done deal. Apparently...it's not. School starts next week for the Piney Woods institutions...

Bomar visits practice; Kats add WR transfer
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar has yet to make a decision on where he is going to transfer, but he was back in Huntsville this week and dropped in on the Bearkats.

Bomar was at Bowers Stadium on Tuesday morning to watch the Sam Houston State football team in action. The Bearkat coaching staff still can’t talk much about Bomar, who has been busy looking for a new school for more than a week.

“There isn’t much more we can say about the situation,” SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said. “There is a lot to consider, and we just have to wait for a decision.”

Bomar faces a possible suspension when he returns to the field team investigation by Oklahoma revealed he violated NCAA rules while working for a Norman, Okla., car dealership by receiving “payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked,” according to a press release from the school.

HTTP://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_230001016.html?keyword=secondarystory
--------------
SFA on list of schools for Bomar
By Kevin Gore
The Daily Sentinel
Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive guard J.D. Quinn have made SFA part of their tour in an effort to find a place to play football, after both were dismissed from the OU program for violating NCAA rules last week.

SFA head football coach Robert McFarland confirmed Tuesday that, after he received permission from OU to contact both players, the players visited SFA.

McFarland said it is his understanding that the players have received six offers from Division I-AA schools and three others from Division I programs.

http://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/08/16/16_08162006__nds_SFABOMAR_WED.html

AppGuy04
August 18th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Nothing is a done deal with this kid unless it involves $$$$$$$$$$

blackfordpu
August 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Nothing is a done deal with this kid unless it involves $$$$$$$$$$

I think it is unfair to say that. He made a mistake and I doubt he will make the same one again.

McNeese75
August 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I think it is unfair to say that. He made a mistake and I doubt he will make the same one again.

How can you say that :confused:

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
The latest news on Bomar...not so certain he'll end up at SHSU, but I've been surprised before. Kats can succeed with or without Bomar...

NORMAN, Okla. -- The father of former University of Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar said Bomar will decide within a few days where he'll continue his college football career.

Jerry Bomar said his son is still considering whether to go to a Division I-A or Division I-AA school. He said Houston and Sam Houston State are among five schools under consideration.

He declined to identify the other three schools.

Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn were kicked off the OU team earlier this month after a school investigation found they were paid for hours they didn't work at a Norman car dealership.

http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/9724071/detail.html

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: he's definitely not coming to Texas State!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Texas State turns down Bomar
Bobcats coach says team already has 'great chemistry'

By Kirk Bohls

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, August 24, 2006

SAN MARCOS — Banished Oklahoma football players Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn approached Texas State about possibly transferring to the Division I-AA school but were turned down, Bobcats coach David Bailiff said Wednesday.

Bailiff said he spoke by phone with both players after they were dismissed from the Sooners football team in early August. The players accepted money from a Norman car dealership for work they did not perform, a violation of NCAA rules.

Bomar, a quarterback from Grand Prairie, was expected to start for the Sooners again this year as a highly regarded third-year sophomore. Quinn was a sophomore offensive lineman counted on to be a starter this season.

"They're great kids who just got some bad advice," Bailiff said. "It was a crime of stupidity. It just came down to the fact that we have such great chemistry here."

Bomar and Quinn also are considering Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin and Houston, said an official in the Oklahoma athletic department. Bomar also was thought to be looking at Illinois State while Quinn also had Montana on his list.

The Sooners declared the players ineligible, so they would have to appeal to the NCAA to regain eligibility. They may face a penalty for violating the NCAA's extra-benefits clause.

If Bomar and Quinn choose to enroll at another Division I-A school, they would have to sit out a year. They would be immediately eligible at Division I-AA schools, once their pending NCAA issues were resolved.

Staff writer Cedric Golden contributed to this report.

blackfordpu
August 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: he's definitely not coming to Texas State!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

By Kirk Bohls

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

SAN MARCOS — Banished Oklahoma football players Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn approached Texas State about possibly transferring to the Division I-AA school but were turned down, Bobcats coach David Bailiff said Wednesday.

Bailiff said he spoke by phone with both players after they were dismissed from the Sooners football team in early August. The players accepted money from a Norman car dealership for work they did not perform, a violation of NCAA rules.

Bomar, a quarterback from Grand Prairie, was expected to start for the Sooners again this year as a highly regarded third-year sophomore. Quinn was a sophomore offensive lineman counted on to be a starter this season.

"They're great kids who just got some bad advice," Bailiff said. "It was a crime of stupidity. It just came down to the fact that we have such great chemistry here."

Bomar and Quinn also are considering Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin and Houston, said an official in the Oklahoma athletic department. Bomar also was thought to be looking at Illinois State while Quinn also had Montana on his list.

The Sooners declared the players ineligible, so they would have to appeal to the NCAA to regain eligibility. They may face a penalty for violating the NCAA's extra-benefits clause.

If Bomar and Quinn choose to enroll at another Division I-A school, they would have to sit out a year. They would be immediately eligible at Division I-AA schools, once their pending NCAA issues were resolved.

I bet he had some influence from "outside" sources that pushed him towards that decision. No coach makes that decision on his own. Bomar is just too good, better than anyone the bobkitties have right now.

Lionsrking
August 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM

By Kirk Bohls

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Kinda reminds me of when a coach withdraws his name from consideration for a job after it becomes apparent he won't be the guy. Gotta stay ahead of the curve and control the propaganda.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
I guess the "other schools" (mentioned in the OU press release) are Illinois State and Montana...??

TXST_CAT
August 23rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
I bet he had some influence from "outside" sources that pushed him towards that decision. No coach makes that decision on his own. Bomar is just too good, better than anyone the bobkitties have right now.
Sure he did. Fact is this is not the first Div I-A player to be turned away by the Bobcats. Bailiff doesn't want players that feel they can just walk in and start. He wants players that are willing to accept roles within the team not just their individual goals. :twocents:

beerkat
August 23rd, 2006, 11:05 PM
baliff : rhett, would you be willing to just play for overtime and take a knee at the end of the game ?

bomar: i'd rather go ahead and try to win it in regulation

baliff : well, this isn't the right place for you then

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
baliff : rhett, would you be willing to just play for overtime and take a knee at the end of the game ?

bomar: i'd rather go ahead and try to win it in regulation

baliff : well, this isn't the right place for you then

26-23. the end.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
whitten: what are your plans for playoffs?

bomar: dunno. thought i'd just sit around and watch 'em on tv with you guys.

lol, it's all in good fun. seriously, whoever ends up with him is getting one heck of an athlete with some baggage...

blackfordpu
August 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Sure he did. Fact is this is not the first Div I-A player to be turned away by the Bobcats. Bailiff doesn't want players that feel they can just walk in and start. He wants players that are willing to accept roles within the team not just their individual goals. :twocents:

Yea, sure. Are you telling me that if Vince Young had wanted to transfer to Texas State last season that Baliff wouldn't have taken him in a heart beat?

No, Baliff was told not to take Bomar if he even had the chance. No coach that wants to win turns down a talent of his caliber.

Catmendue2
August 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM
No, Baliff was told not to take Bomar if he even had the chance. No coach that wants to win turns down a talent of his caliber.

:thumbsup:

kats89
August 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM
It would be good to see a kid of his talent show up in Huntsville, but my gut feeling is he will NOT be wearing orange.

I will say this though, the university have been VERY quiet on the whole issue, which means in SHSU AD terms there us something up. When our AD gets tight lipped on things, something is brewing. I will also say that Coach Whitten has to show some MAJOR improvement over last season or he could be on the hot seat.xcoffeex

blackfordpu
August 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM
It would be good to see a kid of his talent show up in Huntsville, but my gut feeling is he will NOT be wearing orange.

I will say this though, the university have been VERY quiet on the whole issue, which means in SHSU AD terms there us something up. When our AD gets tight lipped on things, something is brewing. I will also say that Coach Whitten has to show some MAJOR improvement over last season or he could be on the hot seat.xcoffeex

I don't know if TW will be on the hot seat after this season if it doesn't go well. Do you really think the AD will give the guy just two seasons to have a winning program?

25 seasons no, but more than two.

slycat
August 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Yea, sure. Are you telling me that if Vince Young had wanted to transfer to Texas State last season that Baliff wouldn't have taken him in a heart beat?

VY is different. he didnt accept a bribe (that we know of). i think letting a guy like that on the team would be an insult to the other players who have played honestly.

blackfordpu
August 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM
VY is different. he didnt accept a bribe (that we know of). i think letting a guy like that on the team would be an insult to the other players who have played honestly.

Baliff said nothing of the "bribe", just that he didn't want to mess up the team's "chemistry."

WMTribe90
August 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I know plenty of coaches and schools, WM included, that would not touch this kid given he situation. I'm not saying no one should take him, but I think its incorrect to asume every I-AA school would take him given the chance. The article even states Bomar has only two IA offers. Apparently TXST isn't the only program with some reservations.

McNeese75
August 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I will go out on a limb and say I doubt very seriously if the Cowboy coaching staff would take him :bow: for exactly the same reason as the Tx State coaching staff. Bringing someon in like that will more than likely upset team chemistry and Bailiff's is trying to meld a lot of personalities in a reloading year as it is. :nod:

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM
SHSU and I-A Houston are the schools that continue to get the most mention in the press...

Bomar close to decision
By Mike Jones
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Houston is one of the schools Rhett Bomar is considering.

Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar will make a decision as to where he plans to continue his college playing career in the next couple of days, his father, Jerry, said Thursday.

Jerry said his son had endured "a lot of embarrassment and anxiety" since he and guard J.D. Quinn were dismissed Aug. 2 by Bob Stoops for receiving money for work not performed at a Norman, Okla., car dealership.

"Rhett did not use good judgment," Jerry Bomar said. "He had stopped doing it, but it was too late. It was a great lesson for him, but he understands he made a mistake.

"He's not a bad kid, and he deserves a second chance. Now, he has to make the most of it."

Bomar has been considering Houston in Division I-A and Sam Houston State in I-AA, among others. An administrator at one school both Bomar and Quinn are considering said they have received their releases from OU.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/colleges/15359024.htm

Brent
August 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Rhett's cousin use to play at T-State, it was an easy connection.

If you have a head case like Bomar thats all about me, me, me and his daddy in your ear. You'd think about it twice before bringing him in.

If you think Bomar isnt telling McFarland and Whitten that he will come IF he is guarantee starting job after his suspension, then you're freaking crazy.

Lots of things happening behind the scenes.

Bomar's got the talent and has the hollywood ego as well.

blackfordpu
August 25th, 2006, 12:02 PM

If you have a head case like Bomar thats all about me, me, me and his daddy in your ear. You'd think about it twice before bringing him in.

If you think Bomar isnt telling McFarland and Whitten that he will come IF he is guarantee starting job after his suspension, then you're freaking crazy.

I have no doubt that is part of the discussions.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I guess the "other schools" (mentioned in the OU press release) are Illinois State and Montana...??

Scratch Montana....

They got the Wazzu transfer (Swogger)

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM
If Bomar thinks he's great, he should come in and compete with the other QBs, regardless of which school he goes to. If he has the talent and the commitment to the team, he'll be the starting QB...

Ronbo
August 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Scratch Montana....

They got the Wazzu transfer (Swogger)

Yep scratch Bomar but I think we might get the 310 lb lineman. Doesn't come with all the negative press.

kats89
August 25th, 2006, 07:26 PM

so what if he has ego. If he can back it up who cares. These kids took freaking money. Whoopdedo!!! You cant sit here and say that EVERY program does not have their issues with stuff like this.:nono: And if you say it has not happened, you are lieing.:nod:

A talent like this will land. I am telling the Tx State fans right now that if you think that Desmond Mays (SHSU transfer to Tx State) does not have an ego, you have another thing coming. He has all the talent in the world,but he does have a big ego.

blackfordpu
August 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM
so what if he has ego. If he can back it up who cares. These kids took freaking money. Whoopdedo!!! You cant sit here and say that EVERY program does not have their issues with stuff like this.:nono: And if you say it has not happened, you are lieing.:nod:

A talent like this will land. I am telling the Tx State fans right now that if you think that Desmond Mays (SHSU transfer to Tx State) does not have an ego, you have another thing coming. He has all the talent in the world,but he does have a big ego.

Mays transferred to Tx St.?!?!:eek:

That bastard!

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Mays transferred to Tx St.?!?!:eek: That bastard!

Makes little sense. He was not first fiddle in the Kats' backfield and the Bobcats' backfield is even more cluttered than ours with some great talent they've picked up the last few seasons. I really like the 'Cats backfield, I'll give'em that...

blackfordpu
August 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Makes little sense. He was not first fiddle in the Kats' backfield and the Bobcats' backfield is even more cluttered than ours with some great talent they've picked up the last few seasons. I really like the 'Cats backfield, I'll give'em that...

Watch it TT.....:nono: ;) :)

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 26th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Mays transferred to Tx St.?!?!:eek:

That bastard!

what?! that's news to me too...then again, maybe i should keep up.xlolx

Ronbo
August 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
JD Quinn is visiting Montana this weekend and attended practice at Washington/Griz on Friday. I'm hearing we'll get him from a good source.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 08:30 AM
From the Univ of Houston blogger over at the Chronicle:

1. I've come to the conclusion that former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar will probably elect not to transfer to UH, especially considering how long it's taking the NCAA to conduct its investigation into Bomar's violations. There's always the chance the NCAA could come down hard on Bomar and suspend him for an entire season, meaning that he would have to sit out two seasons in order to play for UH or any other Division I-A school. Chances are, he'll elect to attend a Division I-AA school, such as Sam Houston, which gives him the greatest opportunity to extend his college career.

http://blogs.chron.com/uh/archives/2006/08/rhett_bomar_uh.html

kats89
August 26th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Although not confirmed, but that was the scuttlebutt on the street as to where he transferred. If I am wrong, my apologies, but he is no longer on roster.

To me it would make little sense as well, given the number of RB's they seem to have. It would not suprise me if he transferred up to Div I-A. He would not lose a year as oddly as it sounds.

blackfordpu
August 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Although not confirmed, but that was the scuttlebutt on the street as to where he transferred. If I am wrong, my apologies, but he is no longer on roster.

To me it would make little sense as well, given the number of RB's they seem to have. It would not suprise me if he transferred up to Div I-A. He would not lose a year as oddly as it sounds.

89, any news on how Terry is doing with his move to RB?

Brent
August 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
what?! that's news to me too...then again, maybe i should keep up.xlolx

Mays is NOT at Texas State.

dirtbag
August 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I am telling the Tx State fans right now that if you think that Desmond Mays (SHSU transfer to Tx State) does not have an ego, you have another thing coming. He has all the talent in the world,but he does have a big ego.

Hey, that's real funny. Mays transfered to Southwest Baptist, not Southwest Texas... There's a little bit of difference...

http://www.sbuniv.edu/athletics/football/06/2006FirstFootballScrimmage.htm

McNeese75
August 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hey, that's real funny. Mays transfered to Southwest Baptist, not Southwest Texas... There's a little bit of difference...

http://www.sbuniv.edu/athletics/football/06/2006FirstFootballScrimmage.htm

Not much :eek:

blackfordpu
August 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM

HAHA! ZING!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

dirtbag
August 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Baptists would run in horror from San Marcos.

McNeese75
August 28th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Baptists would run in horror from San Marcos.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:thumbsup: :beerchug:

During these serious times, people of all faiths should remember these 4 religious truths:
* Muslims do not recognize Jews as God's chosen people.
* Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
* Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian world.
* Baptists do not recognize each other at Hooters