PDA

View Full Version : GSU's Jerrick McKinnon tops Armanti Edwards' rushing record

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2012, 04:51 PM
McKinnon rushed for 316 yards against Central Arkansas today. That's 3 yards more than Armanti Edwards against Richmond in 2007. Does anyone know if the single game rushing yards by a QB has been broken since then?

GSU EAGLES
December 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM
That is after he lost 10+ yards taking a knee 3 times at the end of the game

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
That is after he lost 10+ yards taking a knee 3 times at the end of the game

Would've topped AP's rushing record if it were not for that illegal forward pass call.

seantaylor
December 2nd, 2012, 12:57 AM
JM is going to be a RB in the NFL.

blueballs
December 2nd, 2012, 02:58 AM
But he's not good enough to be all conference in the SoCon... SMFH.

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2012, 04:09 AM
It's okay. After three days he will rise again to judge the quick and the dead...:D

blueballs
December 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
I thought he was going to break Adrian Peterson's FCS/1-AA payoff single game record for a while. He had a 45 yard run called back because of holding too when the hold was on the C 15 yards behind the play.

McKinnon was great yesterday no doubt, but I have to agree with Monken, who sidestepped the comparison to Peterson's performance in post game interviews.

For those of you new to FCS or younger fans, what Adrian Peterson did in 1999 in that quarter-final game was just unbelievable and is among the handful of greatest peformances in FCS/1-AA playoff lore- IMO even better than the record setting peformance he put up in the title game that year.

He had 333 yards rushing, 5 TD's, and a two point conversion in a revenge rematch of the championship game from the year before. He also did it with the flu and turf toe that kept him out of practice and in a boot throughout the playoffs. Truly dominant with all the money in the center of the table, the stuff of legends.

proasu89
December 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
I thought he was going to break Adrian Peterson's FCS/1-AA payoff single game record for a while. He had a 45 yard run called back because of holding too when the hold was on the C 15 yards behind the play.

McKinnon was great yesterday no doubt, but I have to agree with Monken, who sidestepped the comparison to Peterson's performance in post game interviews.

For those of you new to FCS or younger fans, what Adrian Peterson did in 1999 in that quarter-final game was just unbelievable and is among the handful of greatest peformances in FCS/1-AA playoff lore- IMO even better than the record setting peformance he put up in the title game that year.

He had 333 yards rushing, 5 TD's, and a two point conversion in a revenge rematch of the championship game from the year before. He also did it with the flu and turf toe that kept him out of practice and in a boot throughout the playoffs. Truly dominant with all the money in the center of the table, the stuff of legends.

Agree.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Yup. I was at that game in 1999 and that was just an unreal, superhuman effort by AP.

Seems to me that UCA was watching the tape from either last year's NDSU or App. State game and assumed that you could stop us by trying to force the QB run. That will work with Jaybo but not Jerrick.

eaglewraith
December 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yup. I was at that game in 1999 and that was just an unreal, superhuman effort by AP.

Seems to me that UCA was watching the tape from either last year's NDSU or App. State game and assumed that you could stop us by trying to force the QB run. That will work with Jaybo but not Jerrick.

I turned to one of my friends and said the same thing. I'll take everyone sticking to that game plan.

Eagle22
December 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM

And his back-up in the game, Edmund Coley ... rushed for 100+ yards after AP came out ...

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind this was Central Arkansas, and not a semi final Richmond team including Tim Hightower (who incidentally rushed for 1924 yards that season,) Josh Vaughn (723,) and one of the better defensive coordinators in recent memory. Oh yeah, and a year where 5 total CAA teams made the playoffs, and Richmond actually beat all 4 other CAA teams, including the NC runner up with Joe Flacco and Omar Cuff, (who also incidentally rushed for 1945 yards and 35 TDs.)

GlassOnion
December 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
I will add, and this is alot for me considering Im a huge pessimist, but 300+ against any playoff team is impressive. Ecstatic, no, deserves a good head nod, yes.

GATA
December 2nd, 2012, 07:09 PM

Or...you know...a guy who doesn't even get drafted.

GATA
December 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Keep in mind this was Central Arkansas, and not a semi final Richmond team including Tim Hightower (who incidentally rushed for 1924 yards that season,) Josh Vaughn (723,) and one of the better defensive coordinators in recent memory. Oh yeah, and a year where 5 total CAA teams made the playoffs, and Richmond actually beat all 4 other CAA teams, including the NC runner up with Joe Flacco and Omar Cuff, (who also incidentally rushed for 1945 yards and 35 TDs.)

Well, I'm not sure what all of the Richmond offensive stuff has to do with AE shredding the Richmond DEFENSE...but it was an impressive night for him nonetheless.

DaBigBlue
December 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Old Dominion's Taylor Heinicke broke Todd Hammel's (Stephen F. Austin) FCS Playoff record of 539 yards of total offense that he set in 1989 against Grambling. Heinicke was 32-of-44 passing for 497 yards and six TD's and also rushed 45 yards on the ground with two TDs.

With 497 passing yards, Taylor Heinicke has now thrown for 4,655 yards this season. That is currently the second highest total in FCS history to only Steve McNair who passed for 4,863 yards for Alcorn State in 1994. Heinicke has thrown 16 TD passes in three FCS playoff games. Take the over this weekend.

seantaylor
December 3rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Or...you know...a guy who doesn't even get drafted.

He will get drafted, but even if he doesn't, there are a ton of undrafted players starring in the NFL, red bone.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM

I'm not trying to compare J-Mac and Armanti, but UCA is a pretty good defensive team (look at what they did versus Sam Houston State).

He will get drafted, but even if he doesn't, there are a ton of undrafted players starring in the NFL, red bone.

He doesn't really have a niche in the NFL. Doesn't have the size to play RB, the height to be a safety, and being a QB is obviously out of the question.

Eagle11
December 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
I'm not trying to compare J-Mac and Armanti, but UCA is a pretty good defensive team (look at what they did versus Sam Houston State).

He doesn't really have a niche in the NFL. Doesn't have the size to play RB, the height to be a safety, and being a QB is obviously out of the question.

I think he's a decent size for an NFL running back. He's comparable to plenty of current NFL rb's and still has another year to pack on the muscle.

Jerrick McKinnon 5'9 208lbs

Ray Rice 5'8 212lbs
Mark Ingram 5'9 215lbs
Maurice Jones-Drew 5'7 210lbs
CJ Spiller 5'11 200lbs

I-16Bandit
December 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
Old Dominion's Taylor Heinicke broke Todd Hammel's (Stephen F. Austin) FCS Playoff record of 539 yards of total offense that he set in 1989 against Grambling. Heinicke was 32-of-44 passing for 497 yards and six TD's and also rushed 45 yards on the ground with two TDs.

With 497 passing yards, Taylor Heinicke has now thrown for 4,655 yards this season. That is currently the second highest total in FCS history to only Steve McNair who passed for 4,863 yards for Alcorn State in 1994. Heinicke has thrown 16 TD passes in three FCS playoff games. Take the over this weekend.

Holy ****.

This Saturday will be a long one...

SouthernMan
December 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Holy ****.

This Saturday will be a long one...

Maybe..I am not one to play the "look what our similar opponents did" but there is a glaring number out there. UNH put up what, 50-60 points on Odie U's defense....they were only able to get 7 on Wofford.

Question, as in last game, will we be able to defend the pass and get some breaks? Their QB WILL NOT miss the throws that the UCA QB missed.

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM

I can see him filling a KR/PR/RB/Slot Receiver/General Athlete roll much like Travaris Cadet has done for the Saints this year. No way he gets drafted though.

Eagle11
December 3rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
I can see him filling a KR/PR/RB/Slot Receiver/General Athlete roll much like Travaris Cadet has done for the Saints this year. No way he gets drafted though.

I don't know. He has another full year with the team to improve. If he puts on another 5-10 pounds of muscle and maintains his speed, I could see him going late in the draft.

Apphole
December 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
I don't know. He has another full year with the team to improve. If he puts on another 5-10 pounds of muscle and maintains his speed, I could see him going late in the draft.

Didn't realize he was a junior. Perhaps you're right. We'll see what the scouts say next year.

BEAR
December 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Their QB WILL NOT miss the throws that the UCA QB missed.

Wynrick didn't miss as many in the second half as he settled down. But it was too late then. Add to that his receivers missed some wide open easy in the hands passes and that made it worse for him. That pass to the TE in the endzone that was dropped. The pass to the WR on the 1 yard line...(which I just don't understand). The pass to Croom on the 2 yard line. I could go on and on. He settled down then his receivers dropped the ball so to speak. xlolx

CB Eagle
December 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Didn't realize he was a junior. Perhaps you're right. We'll see what the scouts say next year.

I could see him in a Sproles/Woodhead role (third down back/special teams). I would be surprised if he is drafted though, simply because he is coming from an FCS school. Hope he gets a combine invite though.

blueballs
December 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM

He can play defense too... see last year's playoffs as a reference when he had 2 interceptions.

IMO that's where he would get a look, as a DB, and why I was sooooooooooo hoping Youyoute would take the QB job by the throat and become the undisputed starter, because IMO McKinnon's best path to the pros is at DB- AND it would have really helped the team.

eaglewraith
December 3rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Wynrick didn't miss as many in the second half as he settled down. But it was too late then. Add to that his receivers missed some wide open easy in the hands passes and that made it worse for him. That pass to the TE in the endzone that was dropped. The pass to the WR on the 1 yard line...(which I just don't understand). The pass to Croom on the 2 yard line. I could go on and on. He settled down then his receivers dropped the ball so to speak. xlolx

The pressure was in his face all game. I honestly think he was rattled by our defense.

blueballs
December 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM

Some times you just have a bad day, either as an individual or a group. You guys had a bad day Saturday missing some opportunities you can't miss against a good team and still win.

Whether it was GSU's defense reducing the margin of error, a lack of concentration, or ring rust, or even all the above- those were some bad misses for y'all and the players and staff will regret the missed opportunities.

GATA_GSU
December 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
He can play defense too... see last year's playoffs as a reference when he had 2 interceptions.

IMO that's where he would get a look, as a DB, and why I was sooooooooooo hoping Youyoute would take the QB job by the throat and become the undisputed starter, because IMO McKinnon's best path to the pros is at DB- AND it would have really helped the team.

That's what I was hoping for at the start of the season too. McKinnon's vision as a QB coupled with his athleticism (Monken has even stated he's the best athlete on the team) make him a great D-Back. If he was playing DB this season I think our secondary would improve tremendously.

He can even play A- or B-Back (as he has during points this season) to help spread the option on offense. He's just a great player all around and I hope he sees a long and successful NFL career.

BEAR
December 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Some times you just have a bad day, either as an individual or a group. You guys had a bad day Saturday missing some opportunities you can't miss against a good team and still win.

Whether it was GSU's defense reducing the margin of error, a lack of concentration, or ring rust, or even all the above- those were some bad misses for y'all and the players and staff will regret the missed opportunities.

McKinnon had a GREAT day. As for the Bears, it just wasn't happening. As a bear fan I was glad to see the defense pick it up in the second half after most of them lost their legs on those chop blocks in the first half. xlolx We had no answer for a RB/QB combo. I was Seth stay with the optional pitch and let McKinnon run right by him but he stayed on his assignment as he should. I'm just glad McKinnon had tired legs toward the end of the game. xlolx

PaulsonStadium
December 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
McKinnon had a GREAT day. As for the Bears, it just wasn't happening. As a bear fan I was glad to see the defense pick it up in the second half after most of them lost their legs on those chop blocks in the first half. xlolx We had no answer for a RB/QB combo. I was Seth stay with the optional pitch and let McKinnon run right by him but he stayed on his assignment as he should. I'm just glad McKinnon had tired legs toward the end of the game. xlolx
UCA QB was pretty shifty as well. Good passer as well. Will he be a returning player?

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
McKinnon rushed for 316 yards against Central Arkansas today. That's 3 yards more than Armanti Edwards against Richmond in 2007. Does anyone know if the single game rushing yards by a QB has been broken since then?

What about TOTAL yards compared to AE?

BEAR
December 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
UCA QB was pretty shifty as well. Good passer as well. Will he be a returning player?

Yeah, he's a junior and will return next year. What the Eagles saw was a QB having a BAD day. Credit to the pass rush too. But again, once he got settled down his passes were on target but dropped. good luck this week!

asumike83
December 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Armanti still holds the record for a quarterback though, right?

I kid, I kid. Great game by McKinnon.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM

He absolutely has the size to play RB in the NFL. Right now he's the perfect size pretty much without being in an NFL weight program.

seantaylor
December 4th, 2012, 01:09 AM

Don't agree with this. He's too muscular to play corner, and safeties are taller than running backs. He reminds me a ton of Bradshaw for the Giants but faster.