PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern to Sunbelt??

totoinfl
November 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
New Mexico State, Idaho and Georgia Southern now in play for Sun Belt

By Dennis Dodd | Senior College Football Columnist
November 29, 2012 12:55 pm ET

Idaho, New Mexico State and Georgia Southern are on the Sun Belt's list of schools to replace Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic, CBSSports.com has learned.
Conference realignment trickled down to the Sun Belt -- generally considered the No. 11 conference among the 11 FBS leagues -- after Conference USA took the Blue Raiders and Owls on Wednesday to go to 14 teams. The Sun Belt is positioned to fill in. Idaho and New Mexico State are immediately available. Both are exploring playing as independents after the demise of the WAC following this season. Georgia Southern is an emerging FCS program moving up to FBS.

The school's students approved a student fee increase in September to finance the move.
Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky has said on three occassions in the past year that the league could possibly expand to 16 teams. He was asked Thursday, why not make the move to 16 now rather than waiting until another possible raid by the Big East.
"We're going to have a process," Banowsky said. "We kind of deal with arrangement of expectations. We focus on what the optimum structure is. Whether Big East moves again, we'll be ready. If they do, that's not really going to influence what we think is the best structure."
Charlotte and Old Dominion are joining Conference USA in all sports except football beginning in 2014. Banowsky said he had no idea about rumors that Western Kentucky and New Mexico State would be the next football additions to his conference.
The latest round of realignment was kicked off last week when the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers.
"He has some master plan I'm sure," Banowksy said of Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. "He's a tremendous leader. I trust he's about trying to execute that plan. I'm not going to try to be critical of the Big Ten, at all. ... We're also part of a bigger system. ...
"It's a big fabric. When we start ripping the fabric or putting a lot of stress on fabric, things separate. If it's not woven tightly, it's not good for higher education."
Conference USA currently pays out $2 million-$3 million to members in TV revenue per year. Sun Belt's per-team number is approximately $1 million.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Uh-oh.... hopefully there's not much snow on the ground in Boone or the meltdown may cause a flood.

ITmonarch10
November 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Idaho, New Mexico State and Georgia Southern are on the Sun Belt's list of schools to replace Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic, CBSSports.com has learned.
Conference realignment trickled down to the Sun Belt -- generally considered the No. 11 conference among the 11 FBS leagues -- after Conference USA took the Blue Raiders and Owls on Wednesday to go to 14 teams. The Sun Belt is positioned to fill in. Idaho and New Mexico State are immediately available. Both are exploring playing as independents after the demise of the WAC following this season. Georgia Southern is an emerging FCS program moving up to FBS.

The school's students approved a student fee increase in September to finance the move.
Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky has said on three occassions in the past year that the league could possibly expand to 16 teams. He was asked Thursday, why not make the move to 16 now rather than waiting until another possible raid by the Big East.
"We're going to have a process," Banowsky said. "We kind of deal with arrangement of expectations. We focus on what the optimum structure is. Whether Big East moves again, we'll be ready. If they do, that's not really going to influence what we think is the best structure."
Charlotte and Old Dominion are joining Conference USA in all sports except football beginning in 2014. Banowsky said he had no idea about rumors that Western Kentucky and New Mexico State would be the next football additions to his conference.
The latest round of realignment was kicked off last week when the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers.
"He has some master plan I'm sure," Banowksy said of Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. "He's a tremendous leader. I trust he's about trying to execute that plan. I'm not going to try to be critical of the Big Ten, at all. ... We're also part of a bigger system. ...
"It's a big fabric. When we start ripping the fabric or putting a lot of stress on fabric, things separate. If it's not woven tightly, it's not good for higher education."
Conference USA currently pays out $2 million-$3 million to members in TV revenue per year. Sun Belt's per-team number is approximately $1 million.
If this ever happened boone would implode.

catamount man
November 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
For Idaho and NMSU, it's a return BACK to the Sunbelt. But, I have read C-USA is gonna go ahead and add NMSU and Western Kentucky. If that happens, Sunbelt grabs Idaho, GSU and App. One would think.

citdog
November 30th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Would hate to see another top program leave for the 'opportunity' to play in a meaningless bowl game in places like boise. Let the erring sisters go in peace and wish them luck.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Would hate to see another top program leave for the 'opportunity' to play in a meaningless bowl game in places like boise. Let the erring sisters go in peace and wish them luck.

+1. Erring sisters, indeed.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM

What does it say about I-AA if two of that brand's best teams are so eager to leave that they'll accept such a paltry opportunity as the Sun Belt, in order to do so?

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM
By the way, this is coming from a guy whose team has zero opportunity to leave I-AA. So I'm not taunting anyone in any sense. NDSU is here to stay in I-AA for a long time, I'm afraid....

What I'm really curious to find out is if guys like LFN, citdog (and there are others) *really* care about I-AA football that much so as to take personal offense to the top teams in the sub division accepting the lowest possible opportunities in I-A or is it all just an act so that you can troll people?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Playing in a lower-tier bowl game does not excite me in the least, and I know I am not alone among GSU fans saying that. It really and truly sucks that this is the right decision, but none the less it is the right decision. It has become clear to me that the FCS at large will probably never get the respect it deserves from fans, talking heads, and the TV networks. Four years ago I was 100% opposed to moving up but since then I have watched TV coverage of the SoCon and the FCS playoffs deteriorate while coverage and viewership improves for crappy bowl games (with teams that FCS semifinalists could beat) and I like many GSU fans (and App. fans for that matter) are now thoroughly jaded. Does anyone really believe Temple and Wyoming were playing on ESPN while GSU and NDSU were on ESPNU because the former was higher quality football? It's all about perception and actual reality doesn't really mean anything. Everything the FCS has tried to do to fix this has just been rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Matter of fact, in retrospect this is probably something we should have done a lot sooner. Maybe then GSU would be in contention for a CUSA spot like MTSU, FAU, and Western Kentucky.

Like I said, it sucks, but it seems like the right call.

superman7515
November 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
There's already a 38 page thread on this, with this article in it a couple of days ago, let's not start the same circular arguments on another page.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?124210-ASU-GSU-JMU-to-the-FBS-Eastern-Conf-Realignment

jim121256
November 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
What does it say about I-AA if two of that brand's best teams are so eager to leave that they'll accept such a paltry opportunity as the Sun Belt, in order to do so?

I just hope that if any of these schools actually make the move, they have a realistic plan for continued success at their new level. As a GSU alum, fan, and parent, I don't expect them to contend for a national title at the FBS level. That would be insanity. However, they need to have a plan to consistently contend for a conference title wherever they go. MplsBison, that's one thing that I respect about NDSU. It seems that wherever your guys go, they have a plan for success in their hands. I hope the same can be said about the people in Statesboro and Boone.

Here's an idea: the Great FNGs Conference: NDSU, ASU, GSU, and 5 others that would like to make the move. Travel could be a pain, but the rivalries would be fantastic.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
While I've enjoyed our time in FCS, I must say, I never understood why FCS is considered division 1. Reality is, FCS is Division 1 only by name. At the very least, I will be able to watch App State on TV if we're in the belt, and most away games will have double, if not triple the attendance of Socon away games. GSU, App, WKU and Troy seems like a good core schedule to me, and the rest while we have no history with, are more exciting than the teams we currently play outside of the Top 3 in the Socon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I just hope that if any of these schools actually make the move, they have a realistic plan for continued success at their new level. As a GSU alum, fan, and parent, I don't expect them to contend for a national title at the FBS level. That would be insanity. However, they need to have a plan to consistently contend for a conference title wherever they go. MplsBison, that's one thing that I respect about NDSU. It seems that wherever your guys go, they have a plan for success in their hands. I hope the same can be said about the people in Statesboro and Boone.

Here's an idea: the Great FNGs Conference: NDSU, ASU, GSU, and 5 others that would like to make the move. Travel could be a pain, but the rivalries would be fantastic.

We are more consistently successful at the FCS level than any of the ex-FCS teams other than Marshall. And since then not one team has willfully made the move back to the FCS.

Baldy
November 30th, 2012, 12:18 PM
While I've enjoyed our time in FCS, I must say, I never understood why FCS is considered division 1. Reality is, FCS is Division 1 only by name. At the very least, I will be able to watch App State on TV if we're in the belt, and most away games will have double, if not triple the attendance of Socon away games. GSU, App, WKU and Troy seems like a good core schedule to me, and the rest while we have no history with, are more exciting than the teams we currently play outside of the Top 3 in the Socon.
+1

Also agree with pwns 100%. It's a crying shame that this division doesn't get the respect it deserves, but money and recognition rules college athletics. xsmhx

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM

If GSU moves up to I-A, attendance grows to 30k average per game, stadium is expanded, new support facilities built, head coaches salary grows to $500k per year, team achieves a top 25 ranking in the AP poll within 10 years of the move, 85 young men are being given full scholarships to GSU, football team revenue fully supporting ALL costs of the athletic department and even contributing some money back to the school ---- these things AREN'T success in your mind?

At some point, you need to think about growth of the brand - both the team's and the school's - and the growth of what good can come from the football team, rather than solely in terms of 9-10 wins every year.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Playing in a lower-tier bowl game does not excite me in the least, and I know I am not alone among GSU fans saying that. It really and truly sucks that this is the right decision, but none the less it is the right decision. It has become clear to me that the FCS at large will probably never get the respect it deserves from fans, talking heads, and the TV networks. Four years ago I was 100% opposed to moving up but since then I have watched TV coverage of the SoCon and the FCS playoffs deteriorate while coverage and viewership improves for crappy bowl games (with teams that FCS semifinalists could beat) and I like many GSU fans (and App. fans for that matter) are now thoroughly jaded. Does anyone really believe Temple and Wyoming were playing on ESPN while GSU and NDSU were on ESPNU because the former was higher quality football? It's all about perception and actual reality doesn't really mean anything. Everything the FCS has tried to do to fix this has just been rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Matter of fact, in retrospect this is probably something we should have done a lot sooner. Maybe then GSU would be in contention for a CUSA spot like MTSU, FAU, and Western Kentucky.

Neither will the sun belt get that respect you so want. I'm not saying you are wrong wanting don't get me wrong. But the 11th conference out of 11? Don't see that inspiring much confidence in anyone.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM

xthumbsupx

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Neither will the sun belt get that respect you so want. I'm not saying you are wrong wanting don't get me wrong. But the 11th conference out of 11? Don't see that inspiring much confidence in anyone.

Maybe they still won't get the respect of the national media -- but at least they'll be talking about them.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Good. A chance to prove and distinguish ourselves on the field and do what nobody else has done. I relish the chance. Its alot better than conceding woe be me, and never looking to improve our lot.

344Johnson
November 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe they still won't get the respect of the national media -- but at least they'll be talking about them.

How often do I hear the media giving any attention whatsoever to the Sun Belt?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM

The Sun Belt is now considered better than the MAC and possibly on par with CUSA at least as far as football goes. And the lower-tier bowl games they get into get better TV deals than any FCS conference. C'est la vie.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM

In North Dakota? I wonder why?!

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
The Sun Belt is now considered better than the MAC and possibly on par with CUSA at least as far as football goes. And the lower-tier bowl games they get into get better TV deals than any FCS conference. C'est la vie.

Huh? Last I checked Kent State & Northern Illinois would beat anyone from the SunBelt & CUSA. Both teams are ranked & are on TV tonight for your viewing pleasure. Heck, Kent State still has a shot at a BCS bowl this year.

GSU EAGLES
November 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Huh? Last I checked Kent State & Northern Illinois would beat anyone from the SunBelt & CUSA. Both teams are ranked & are on TV tonight for your viewing pleasure. Heck, Kent State still has a shot at a BCS bowl this year.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM

For example, when LA-Monroe beat Arkansas in Fayetteville earlier this season. ESPN had the full scoop.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Those two teams, in particular are pretty good. However the top 5 from the Sun Belt would do well against the top 5 from the MAC or the CUSA this season, I'd have to agree.

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Don't hear much about the Sun Belch in Minnesota either. Minnesota tends to play the MAC or western teams for extra FBS games.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Don't hear much about the Sun Belch in Minnesota either. Minnesota tends to play the MAC or western teams for extra FBS games.

Im comfortable with regular regional coverage, a periodic national coverage as opposed to the Socon's zero coverage. Not to mention SB teams bring in CUSA, and BE type teams for OOC. We'll probably be able to renew the Wake Forest rivalry too.

ysubigred
November 30th, 2012, 12:58 PM

YSU's old Head Coach that had to go is the "D" Coordinator for Kent State xnonono2x You all see how well YSU plays "D" since he left xbangx

fc97
November 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Im comfortable with regular regional coverage, a periodic national coverage as opposed to the Socon's zero coverage. Not to mention SB teams bring in CUSA, and BE type teams for OOC. We'll probably be able to renew the Wake Forest rivalry too.

there is no wake forest rivalry. you guys hammer on us for saying we're rivals. if we aren't then wake will never be yours. sorry, but the truth as a wake alum.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM
there is no wake forest rivalry. you guys hammer on us for saying we're rivals. if we aren't then wake will never be yours. sorry, but the truth as a wake alum.

Considering you were probably still sucking your thumb the last time App played Wake...

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM

We've won 3 of the last 5 against Wake before the stopped scheduling us.

Get back to us about a rivalry when you've won 3 of the last 5 against us. xthumbsupx

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
We've won 3 of the last 5 against Wake before the stopped scheduling us.

Get back to us about a rivalry when you've won 3 of the last 5 against us. xthumbsupx

Or one...

asumike83
November 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM

We did play Wake 22 times in 26 years from 1975-2001, going 7-14-1. Not exactly an even series but when you schedule a non-conference team annually for a quarter century, that could be considered a rivalry. They did decide to cancel after we won 3 of the last 5.

fc97
November 30th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Considering you were probably still sucking your thumb the last time App played Wake...

i was at the last 3 games where app played wake. its only a rivalry when the opposing fans view it as such. saying it is on one side doesn't make it so. wake has its rivals. sorry it hurts for you guys to hear it.

just like when app goes fbs, they won't schedule at risk lower division teams because nothing is in it for them, rivalry or psuedo rivalry or not.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM
i was at the last 3 games where app played wake. its only a rivalry when the opposing fans view it as such. saying it is on one side doesn't make it so. wake has its rivals. sorry it hurts for you guys to hear it.

just like when app goes fbs, they won't schedule at risk lower division teams because nothing is in it for them, rivalry or psuedo rivalry or not.

I distinctly recall Elon this year claiming the App game was a rivalry. Since Elon has failed to win a single game against App in the modern era that idea is laughable. At least App won is fair share of games with Wake, with 20 fewer scholarships to boot.

asumike83
November 30th, 2012, 01:46 PM

The difference is that they did schedule us for 26 years.

Obviously, nobody thinks App was an all-sports rival for Wake but it was a long-standing football series and at the time, Wake was about as close to ASU on the field as they were to most of their ACC opponents.

gsu2583
November 30th, 2012, 01:50 PM

When ULM beat Bama. When ULM almost beat Auburn. I would LIVE for those few and far between moments where you get underestimated and then jack some "bigger" team up.

fc97
November 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
The difference is that they did schedule us for 26 years.

Obviously, nobody thinks App was an all-sports rival for Wake but it was a long-standing football series and at the time, Wake was about as close to ASU on the field as they were to most of their ACC opponents.

long standing series doesn't make it a rivalry man.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Makes me envious of you folks. UNH isn't going anywhere. I wish we could move up to gain more revenue to plug back into the program to be able to field a competitive team at the FBS level. But basically 0 state funding and being located in the Northeast leaves us up ****'s creek without a paddle.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
long standing series doesn't make it a rivalry man.

Good. You can tell that to Elon:

"A look at history provides a bit of insight into the Elon-Appalachian State rivalry."

http://www.elonpendulum.com/2012/10/breaking-point-elon-app-state-football-showdown-this-saturday-crucial-in-more-ways-than-one/

Western Carolina has a better winning record against App than Elon. Now thats pitiful. Not wanting to be associated with schools like Elon is a big driver for leaving the Socon.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Makes me envious of you folks. UNH isn't going anywhere. I wish we could move up to gain more revenue to plug back into the program to be able to field a competitive team at the FBS level. But basically 0 state funding and being located in the Northeast leaves us up ****'s creek without a paddle.

I hear ya. ND is the exact same thing as NH, in the sense of: small state with a bunch of tight-wads who call themselves conservatives to justify not spending the money they have on services that the public deserves.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I hear ya. ND is the exact same thing as NH, in the sense of: small state with a bunch of tight-wads who call themselves conservatives to justify not spending the money they have on services that the public deserves.

NH just doesn't care about public education...it is sad. I didn't attend a public college, but I know the value of it being an option for students throughout the state and the value it provides to the community at large.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM

The "rivalry" sure filled the stands at your stadium with more fans than any other home game you scheduled during that era. Nothing like having an FCS school make an FBS stadium a home field advantage.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
When ULM beat Bama. When ULM almost beat Auburn. I would LIVE for those few and far between moments where you get underestimated and then jack some "bigger" team up.

FCS upsets of FBS teams get just as much, if not more play than some occasional Sun Belt win. The Sun Belt is little more than FCS with 85 scholarships and some dumb bowl game in a faraway place.

fc97
November 30th, 2012, 02:31 PM
The "rivalry" sure filled the stands at your stadium with more fans than any other home game you scheduled during that era. Nothing like having an FCS school make an FBS stadium a home field advantage.

you can tell yourself that if you want to, like i said, i was at the last 5 games and can attest to that not being the fact. but app fans love to use this same line with any fill-in-the-blank school. you always fill every stadium and say you do whether its the truth or not.

move along mr. bias.

344Johnson
November 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM

We get ESPN here too ya know.

For example, when LA-Monroe beat Arkansas in Fayetteville earlier this season. ESPN had the full scoop.

Didn't ESPN have the scoop when Michigan lost to App? No one cares about the sunbelt. FBS fans don't care, and FCS fans don't care. The only people who care, are fans of the teams in the conference.

FCS upsets of FBS teams get just as much, if not more play than some occasional Sun Belt win. The Sun Belt is little more than FCS with 85 scholarships and some dumb bowl game in a faraway place.

Facts.

UNH Fanboi
November 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM

I have 0 desire to see UNH go FBS. What would be the point? So we could join UMass in the MAC and hope to get a couple of games against UCONN an BC? No thanks. I'd just like to see us get a decent stadium.

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have 0 desire to see UNH go FBS. What would be the point? So we could join UMass in the MAC and hope to get a couple of games against UCONN an BC? No thanks. I'd just like to see us get a decent stadium.

Can't get a stadium continuing to play at the FCS level. There is no money here. UMass is in line to potentially pot $500K tonight with a Kent State win and a spot in a BCS game. Think we could use that? Sure we could. And what did UMass do to earn that? They just moved up to the MAC. Sure they are lucky that it all worked out this way, but that money will help their program and they haven't had to do a damn thing!

I fear FCS will die sooner then we all anticipate, and I do not want UNH to be relagated any longer to anything but the highest tier. This is our state school, and a reflection on our state. Thus why we are flat broke on both sides of that equation. We have the largest population of a state with no FBS program...I think that is sad.

And the whole National Championship talk...the day we win one then we can use that line. We haven't sniffed a title no matter what our streak is at for playoff appearances. I'm tired of being second level.

Hammerhead
November 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe if ESPN would put some marketing/reporting effort into the FCS playoffs beyond a 30-minute selection show, they would get better ratings and not be relegated to espn3.

walliver
November 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM

When did ULM beat Bama?

They did beat Arkansas (but lost to Arkansas State).

They got a little press for a week or two, but once the BCS conference races started heating up ULM was long forgotten.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Can't get a stadium continuing to play at the FCS level. There is no money here. UMass is in line to potentially pot $500K tonight with a Kent State win and a spot in a BCS game. Think we could use that? Sure we could. And what did UMass do to earn that? They just moved up to the MAC. Sure they are lucky that it all worked out this way, but that money will help their program and they haven't had to do a damn thing!

$500K is going to save the UMass decision? Are you high?

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
$500K is going to save the UMass decision? Are you high?

I'm sorry, doesn't $500K for simply being associated with a conference not seem worthwhile? And I see nothing wrong with the UMass decision.

gsu2583
November 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
When did ULM beat Bama?

They did beat Arkansas (but lost to Arkansas State).

They got a little press for a week or two, but once the BCS conference races started heating up ULM was long forgotten.

ASUG8
November 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM

I respectfully disagree as a Wake alum. I was there to watch some of those ASU wins in W-S - it would certainly be a rivalry if Wake would get their underwear out of their behinds and start playing ASU again.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM

You (and others) keep on saying this, as if it will materialize into a tangible object -- if only it can be said enough.

But then why are GSU and ASU trading FCS super-stardom for the Sun Belt?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry, doesn't $500K for simply being associated with a conference not seem worthwhile? And I see nothing wrong with the UMass decision.

Not if it costs you $3 million per year to pocket that $500K that happens only when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. xlolx

Oh yeah, and all that BCS stuff goes away in two years. If Kent State doesn't get it this time around - and they might not - it's gone.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
You (and others) keep on saying this, as if it will materialize into a tangible object -- if only it can be said enough.

But then why are GSU and ASU trading FCS super-stardom for the Sun Belt?

Because their fan bases are delusional? That's all I could come up with.

GannonFan
November 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Not if it costs you $3 million per year to pocket that $500K that happens only when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. xlolx

Oh yeah, and all that BCS stuff goes away in two years. If Kent State doesn't get it this time around - and they might not - it's gone.

Maybe it will be harder, but it's not necessarily gone. The last iteration of the 4 team playoff still had a spot for the best of the non-power conferences to get to play in a big time bowl game. Granted, it's a smaller piece of the pie than they have today, but it's still something.

ccd494
November 30th, 2012, 03:19 PM

What was it costing them before this year?

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 03:20 PM

As we all (unfortunately) know, fanbases don't pull the levers.

The respective presidents of Georgia Southern University and App St University -- both of whom have "Dr." in front of their names, more than can be said for you and I -- have the data and are prepared to pull those levers.

How can that be??

Lehigh Football Nation
What was it costing them before this year?

Maybe I should have said "extra" above the $5 million or so they claimed they were losing at the FCS level. And yes, I said "claimed".

NHwildEcat

While the BCS will be gone, the playoffs will expand in the future no doubt about it and my guess would be in the 12-16 range. So when that happens there will be a spot at the table for even the smallest of conferences so long as they field some very strong teams on occasion. Even an 8 team playoff this year would still get a Kent State in should they win tonight.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM
dont think GS or App should pack their bags just yet, its just too cazy right now with all the rumors flying around, conferences are doing crazy things , would surprise me to see the SBC do something totally unexpected like taking 3 teams from the west, there is a new, crazy rumor, that has no basis, saying App and JM will join the MAC as football only members, and App would join the CAA as full member, along with ECU. Crazy, makes no sense, never going to happen, but a friend of a friend heard something, and there it goes. Ill will say this with 100% certainly, if App gets left behind with all the work they have done the last 5 years in preparation of the move, there will be a major meltdown in Boone the next day.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM
While the BCS will be gone, the playoffs will expand in the future no doubt about it and my guess would be in the 12-16 range. So when that happens there will be a spot at the table for even the smallest of conferences so long as they field some very strong teams on occasion. Even an 8 team playoff this year would still get a Kent State in should they win tonight.

How cute - as if the SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, and Big XII will ever allow that to happen. Get used to a 4-team playoff, because it's going to be around for a very long time.

The BCS gave the smaller conferences a tiny path to the BCS. With the latest moves, that path has been soldered shut. It might take a few years for people to catch on, but they will.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM

We're sharing a subdivision in which many of the teams dont even care to offer the full, or anywhere near full allotment of scholarships. A team at this level can go 10-1, and not be considered for the top 20. What does that tell you about the level of competition?

NHwildEcat
November 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
How cute - as if the SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, and Big XII will ever allow that to happen. Get used to a 4-team playoff, because it's going to be around for a very long time.

The BCS gave the smaller conferences a tiny path to the BCS. With the latest moves, that path has been soldered shut. It might take a few years for people to catch on, but they will.

Hardly will it be a long time of a 4 team playoff. It will be up to 12-16 by 2020.

344Johnson
November 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
We're sharing a subdivision in which many of the teams dont even care to offer the full, or anywhere full allotment of scholarships. A team at this level can go 10-1, and not be considered for the top 20. What does that tell you about the level of competition?

Same happens to Sunbelt teams.

ccd494
November 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Maybe I should have said "extra" above the $5 million or so they claimed they were losing at the FCS level. And yes, I said "claimed".

Regardless of the dollar amount, they were losing money. I don't think anyone would dispute that. If you are losing money, you know how you AREN'T going to stop losing money? By doing the same exact thing you were before.

Will they make money in FBS? Maybe not. Will they lose MORE money? Quite possibly. But you can drop football as an FBS school as easily as you can in FCS. So why not give it a go first and see if you catch lightning in a bottle?

Frankly, we are probably nearing the day where there aren't more D-I football programs in New England, at any level, than you could count on your hands. BC will stick around. UConn will end up somewhere. Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown and Yale will keep going with their endowment money trees. Other than that, it's a losing proposition.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Same happens to Sunbelt teams.

Example?

darell1976
November 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
When will the NCAA say...all right stop. No more conference moves for an x amount of years. All this musical chairs of switching conferences are too much to keep track of.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
When will the NCAA say...all right stop. No more conference moves for an x amount of years. All this musical chairs of switching conferences are too much to keep track of.

They could if they threatened to strip Maryland of their NCAA accreditation, like I suggested, for making a purely money-based move not rooted in the student-athletes', fans' or even the citizen of Maryland's best interests at heart. I don't think they will, however.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM

That will pretty much guarantee App and GSU leave. If the Sun Belt cant replenish, they'd be toast in the next shuffle, therefore they'd stock up to many 14 teams.

344Johnson
November 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Example?

2011 Arkansas State. Record: 10-2 (10-3 after bowl loss)

Unranked.

darell1976
November 30th, 2012, 03:34 PM
They could if they threatened to strip Maryland of their NCAA accreditation, like I suggested, for making a purely money-based move not rooted in the student-athletes', fans' or even the citizen of Maryland's best interests at heart. I don't think they will, however.

Funny how some conferences are becoming super conferences (lots of teams) like the Big 10 and some are just fading away like the WAC. What is the magic number for some conferences before they realize....holy crap we have too many teams.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 03:37 PM
2011 Arkansas State. Record: 10-2 (10-3 after bowl loss)

Unranked.

Guess they should have won their OOC games then huh? At least that is something App can do. Control its own destiny by winning.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Nothing is worse than being in a conference with 7 teams nobody wants to see, so the conference shuts down the whole TV deal so NOBODY gets coverage, even the 2 teams that CAN get coverage. Same in basketball for Davidson and C of C.

boogereagle
November 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Funny how some conferences are becoming super conferences (lots of teams) like the Big 10 and some are just fading away like the WAC. What is the magic number for some conferences before they realize....holy crap we have too many teams.

My thoughts are:
A. The BCS is like that 1 percent that has all t he money. It just keeps getting richer.

B. Eventually, if FCS teams keep moving to that level of FBS that does not include the BCS, then FBS is basically going to be FCS. It's just going to cost more. So why move? Stay put, enjoy what you have and wait a few years to see what happens when the college football bubble pops for all but the wealthiest programs.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 04:03 PM
My thoughts are:
A. The BCS is like that 1 percent that has all t he money. It just keeps getting richer.

B. Eventually, if FCS teams keep moving to that level of FBS that does not include the BCS, then FBS is basically going to be FCS. It's just going to cost more. So why move? Stay put, enjoy what you have and wait a few years to see what happens when the college football bubble pops for all but the wealthiest programs.

Here's whats wrong with that:

BCS gets richer, moves further ahead of regular FBS. In reality, becomes The Division 1.
Regular FBS also geting richer, though not quite as rich as BCS, but still moves farther from current FCS. In reality, becomes Division 2.
FCS continues to lose media share, further contributing to the gap between current FBS and FCS, NCAA is no longer able to force FCS plaoffs onto television. FCS playoffs whithers and dies, as schools start cutting scholarships and costs. In reality, becomes Division 3.

Division 3 becomes little more than a club sport.

darell1976
November 30th, 2012, 04:04 PM
My thoughts are:

Exactly. I would rather play for a national title than play in the who knows what bowl. Very few FCS teams will see the success of Boise State.

darell1976
November 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Here's whats wrong with that:

BCS gets richer, moves further ahead of regular FBS. In reality, becomes The Division 1.
Regular FBS also geting richer, though not quite as rich as BCS, but still moves farther from current FCS. In reality, becomes Division 2.
FCS continues to lose media share, further contributing to the gap between current FBS and FCS, NCAA is no longer able to force FCS plaoffs onto television. FCS playoffs whithers and dies, as schools start cutting scholarships and costs. In reality, becomes Division 3.

Division 3 becomes little more than a club sport.

I see it this way:

DI- BCS conferences
DI-A FBS and upper level FCS teams
DI-AA Rest of the FCS
DII
DIII

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I see it this way:

DI- BCS conferences
DI-A FBS and upper level FCS teams
DI-AA Rest of the FCS
DII
DIII

You've said it all. FCS teams wishing to be apart of FBS should jump, FCS can then become what it is, division 3.

darell1976
November 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
You've said it all. FCS teams wishing to be apart of FBS should jump, FCS can then become what it is, division 3.

Upper FCS teams like the Big Sky, MVFC, etc. will be part of the DI-A. DI-AA will be your lower level teams, SWAC, Pioneer, and Ivy (since the Ivy doesn't believe in a playoff).

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
We've won more championships than anyone at this level.

We've won more playoff games than anyone at this level.

We own the 2 longest home winning streaks in the history of this division.

I'll admit I'd love to stick around here and win more national championships, but in the long run of things, what does it gain Georgia Southern? What does one more title get us that 6 didn't already give us?

To grow our name and our university, we need to make this move. We need to challenge ourselves to do something new. I say one of the best reasons to do it is because everyone says we're destined to fail. EVERYONE told us we'd fail at starting a football program and we shouldn't do it. Who's laughing now?

Apphole
November 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM

You sure about that one?

darell1976
November 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM

I'll admit I'd love to stick around here and win more national championships, but in the long run of things, what does it gain Georgia Southern? What does one more title get us that 6 didn't already give us?

To grow our name and our university, we need to make this move. We need to challenge ourselves to do something new. I say one of the best reasons to do it is because everyone says we're destined to fail. EVERYONE told us we'd fail at starting a football program and we shouldn't do it. Who's laughing now?

If GSU does bolt for the FBS I wish them the best of luck. I hope UND has a chance to play you guys before you go, it will be nice to take on the eastern teams.

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
You sure about that one?

Unless you can beat 40 and 37

blueballs
November 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
You sure about that one?

Yes, and the longest home playoff winning streak too which is in the 30's although I can't remember the exact number.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Its funny to me how its the schools that have had the success, won the championships, and experienced ALL of what the FCS can offer that always want to move up, and yet its the new guys, or the guys still shooting for what App and GSU have that are telling them how awesome it is to compete for an FCS NC.

Every successful FCS team I know of that has moved up, wouldnt change that decision for anything. Boise, no, Nevada, no, Marshall, no. Even crappy Idaho doesnt want to drop back down. How about a great FCS program that didnt make the jump, how do you Youngstown guys feel about not taking advantage when you had the shot? Are you happy to be where you are?

boogereagle
November 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM
EVERYONE told us we'd fail at starting a football program and we shouldn't do it

I don't recall that.

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't recall that.

Well maybe not everyone, but there were plenty of detractors. Hell we didn't even own a football when we introduced our coach. That's definitely rolling the dice. Nothing was guaranteed, but we did it anyway.

boogereagle
November 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Its funny to me how its the schools that have had the success, won the championships, and experienced ALL of what the FCS can offer that always want to move up, and yet its the new guys, or the guys still shooting for what App and GSU have that are telling them how awesome it is to compete for an FCS NC.

Every successful FCS team I know of that has moved up, wouldnt change that decision for anything. Boise, no, Nevada, no, Marshall, no. Even crappy Idaho doesnt want to drop back down. How about a great FCS program that didnt make the jump, how do you Youngstown guys feel about not taking advantage when you had the shot? Are you happy to be where you are?

I know a guy who graduated Marshall who wishes the team had stayed put in FCS. Doesn't like the higher ticket prices, the lackluster performance, the team's inability to compete for a national title. He may only be one -- or he may not. I haven't polled every Marshall fan.

Sure, GSU has won six titles and that's boring for those who apparently need a new kick to get the jollies revved back up. But the kids playing for GSU haven't won one yet. To them this is a brand new thing. It's why they come to GSU.

mountaineerman
November 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM

About as much as the darlings of espn the fcs, yet we would be fbs

SpiritCymbal
November 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM

BOOM! That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

GeauxLions94
November 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Hey, the New Orleans Bowl is 35 minutes from my house xwhistlex

SpiritCymbal
November 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
...and some dumb bowl game in a faraway place.

Kinda like the Diamond Bowl played in Tacoma, WA that averaged 4,900 people in attendance?

GSU EAGLES
November 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I don't recall that.

2/3 of the faculty were against it.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM

EXACTLY!!!

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM

ONE MORE TIME... EXACTLY!!!

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM

The NCAA has nothing to do with it.

Honestly!

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM
BY WINNING #7...

Is that when the giant pinata bursts open and the millions rain over us?

'Cause winning the first SIX ain't gotten us jacksh-- ('cept some banners on the flagpole and a lot of "Y'all aint all that" from the rest of FCS)!

SO VERY DONE!!! xsighx

Nickels
November 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Lamar fans ( http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=184&board=5.0 ) seem to think they are a great fit for the SB & some fans are even expecting the announcement in 2 weeks, any thoughts?

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Lamar fans ( http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=184&board=5.0 ) seem to think they are a great fit for the SB & some fans are even expecting the announcement in 2 weeks, any thoughts?

Who pulled your string?!? Start your own thread, THIS ONE IS OURS!!! xcrazyx

Eagle22
November 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
You sure about that one?

Yep.

39 games and 38 games.

When GSU beat ASU in Boone in 2007, that was the last chance GSU had at preserving that record.

Nickels
November 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Who pulled your string?!? Start your own thread, THIS ONE IS OURS!!! xcrazyx
Oh excuse me. Start PMing if you don't want want anyone to respond to your little circle jerk. Other FCS teams going to the same conference are completely relevant to the conversation.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Oh excuse me. Start PMing if you don't want want anyone to respond to your little circle jerk. Other FCS teams going to the same conference are completely relevant to the conversation.

OH... DAMN! Sorry, I thought perhaps the title: Georgia Southern to Sunbelt??, would have implied... LAMAR ain't in the subject matter.

Nickels
November 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
OH... DAMN! Sorry, I thought perhaps the title: Georgia Southern to Sunbelt??, would have implied... LAMAR ain't in the subject matter.Other teams staying or leaving would be a factor in GSU joining the conference...dickwad...

dungeonjoe
November 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM

I am trying to find this article on the web. May I ask where it came from?

Nickels
November 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM
dungeonjoe you better take that article down, it mentions other schools besides GSU. You don't wannabee moderator dbag all pissed off.

Laker
November 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Here ya go...........

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21190574/new-mexico-state-idaho-and-georgia-southern-now-in-play-for-sun-belt

dungeonjoe
November 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Amazing that it took 24 hours to get posted here.

dungeonjoe
November 30th, 2012, 07:33 PM
dungeonjoe you better take that article down, it mentions other schools besides GSU. You don't wannabee moderator dbag all pissed off.
I'll take my chances. I am such a ornery and obstinate cuss.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 07:38 PM

Just wondering why you insist on making your LAMAR posts on a thread about Georgia Southern RATHER THAN making your own thread ABOUT LAMAR "THINKING THEY CAN MOVE UP" (THAT LAMAR FANS MIGHT READ)xcoffeex

Nickels
November 30th, 2012, 07:49 PM
How did I insist? I simply asked 1 time how those in this thread felt about another rumored team making the move with GSU and instead of giving me constructive response or simply not responding at all you went out of your way to show what a tool you are. congratulations.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM
How did I insist? I simply asked 1 time how those in this thread felt about another rumored team making the move with GSU and instead of giving me constructive response or simply not responding at all you went out of your way to show what a tool you are. congratulations.

HEY, YOU AND THE WIFE BOTH!!! AWESOME!!! YEP, I'm ownin' it! TOOL: I BE! ONE MORE TIME... point it out! OH, and hey, how 'bout Lamar?

BEAR
November 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Bye. xcoffeex (see what I did there? the exact same responses other FCS fans gave to the other teams fans that moved to the bowl subdivision. )

Saint3333
November 30th, 2012, 08:35 PM

If only there was a team that had a winning record vs. you guys, that draws 25% more fans, generates more revenue, with nicer facilities that also was looking to move to the FBS. Does anyone know of a program like that?

Eagle11
November 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM
If only there was a team that had a winning record vs. you guys, that draws 25% more fans, generates more revenue, with nicer facilities that also was looking to move to the FBS. Does anyone know of a program like that?

nobody is doubting that App should move up. He's making the point that Georgia Southern has accomplished everything possible in FCS. App has earned their fare share as well and they need to move up with us.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Bye. xcoffeex (see what I did there? the exact same responses other FCS fans gave to the other teams fans that moved to the bowl subdivision. )

Can't help it...

+1 reps to you.

totoinfl
November 30th, 2012, 08:43 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21190574/new-mexico-state-idaho-and-georgia-southern-now-in-play-for-sun-belt

superman7515
November 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Amazing that it took 24 hours to get posted here.

It didn't, it was posted a while ago on another thread that is longer than this one, which is why so many people are just repeating themselves on the two.

gasoutherneagle
November 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM
It didn't, it was posted a while ago on another thread that is longer than this one, which is why so many people are just repeating themselves on the two.

DAMMIT!!! I knew I had done this before! xdontknowx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Are they announcing this Tuesday? The million dollar question.

bullitt_60
December 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Are they announcing this Tuesday? The million dollar question.

I don't expect an announcement until a week after we lose or after the semi-final, whichever comes first. You know something?

walliver
December 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
I don't expect an announcement until a week after we lose or after the semi-final, whichever comes first. You know something?

I would think the Sunbelt would want to announce all their new additions at one time (or at least close together).

Unlike not-returning a coach, an announcement of this sort would not interfere with the playoffs, other than the coach having to take an hour for the press conference.

SpiritCymbal
December 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
I would think the Sunbelt would want to announce all their new additions at one time (or at least close together).

Unlike not-returning a coach, an announcement of this sort would not interfere with the playoffs, other than the coach having to take an hour for the press conference.

Agreed. The whole thing about this being a "distraction" to GSU only applies to the fans. Announcing that this is our last year to be eligible for the 1-aa playoffs could/would/should be a GREAT motivator for the players and coaches. There is no "next year". It's either now or (quite literally) never.

RadioFan
December 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
There is no "next year". It's either now or (quite literally) never.

Nah, a transitional team can still qualify for the playoffs but not get the AQ, much like ODU did this year.

walliver
December 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Nah, a transitional team can still qualify for the playoffs but not get the AQ, much like ODU did this year.

Actually the no-AQ rule is a CAA, not NCAA, rule. The SoCon has no such policy.

melloware13
December 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
The reason ODU is eligible this year for the playoffs is they announced the move after May 1. GA State is ineligible because of the announcement prior to May 1, so that would be the guidelines for any moves to the Sun Belt

SpiritCymbal
December 3rd, 2012, 04:00 PM

Actually, if they accept the bid and start the transition before June 1, then the NCAA prohibits GSU from post-season play (ala Georgia State 2012/2013). If "we" file for reclassification after that date, then we would be able to participate in the playoffs in 2013, but would still have the 2 year post-season ban for 2014/2015 (ala Old Dominion 2013/2014).

But it's all for nothing at this point anyway b/c I doubt that an invite and acceptance is coming anytime soon.

dgtw
December 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Regarding the orginal thread title, I think the Sun Belt would be foolish to add NMSU or Idaho. They add nothing except a long plane flight for the other members. Georgia Southern can be done by bus for at least a few of the other schools. It doesn't have much in the way of national pizzaz, but nobody the Sun Belt gets is going todo that. They do have a name if you follow FCS and probably most football fans are at least aware of them from their past. I'd take them and Appy State in a heartbeat. Good football programs and they already have a rivalry.

The sun Belt is down to eight football schools and two who do not play football. (I'd kick them out, but that's just me). They need fresh blood before C-USA makes another raid.

Just a minor note.....the Sun Belt is not #11 out of 11 in FBS. The WAC no longer sponsors football and may very well be done altogether. So they are now #10 out of 10, though I'd say they have drawn even with C-USA.

Laker
December 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Any new announcements or rumors today, or are people still talking about bowl matchups?

boogereagle
December 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Georgia Southern is getting an invite to --- the Senior Bowl. Well, one Eagle is. Well deserved. Guy can play.

Well, STATESBORO, Ga. – Georgia Southern senior safety J.J. Wilcox received an invite to the Senior Bowl Monday. The Senior Bowl will be held on January 26, 2013 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala. and will also air on the NFL Network.

The Senior Bowl is the nation’s most unique football game and football’s premier pre-draft event. It annually features the country’s best senior collegiate football stars and top NFL draft prospects on teams representing the North and South. Both teams are coached by the entire coaching staffs from two National Football League teams.

"It's a great showcase to be able to show off Georgia Southern to the nation,” Wilcox said after Monday's practice. “It's a blessing. I was in the right spot at the right time. The coaches put me in a great position, and it's a blessing and a privilege just to be able to play."

After spending three years on the offensive side of the ball where he accumulated 964 career rushing yards, Wilcox moved to safety before the start of fall practice this season. The Cairo, Ga., native ranks second on the team with 79 tackles while also returning 27 kicks for
711 yards. He was also selected to his first ever All-Conference team this season and was a First Team All-Southern Conference selection by the league's coaches.

Wilcox will be just the second Eagle in the history of the program to play in the Senior Bowl, with Adrian Peterson in 2002 being the only other selection.

Wilcox and his Georgia Southern teammates travel to Old Dominion Saturday for a noon kickoff on ESPN.

Georgia Southern Athletics provides up-to-date information on all its sports through its official website, GSEagles.com, through social media channels facebook.com/GSAthletics and twitter.com/GSAthletics, and its new "Eagles GATA" mobile app for Android and iOS.

frozennorth
December 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Regarding the orginal thread title, I think the Sun Belt would be foolish to add NMSU or Idaho. They add nothing except a long plane flight for the other members. Georgia Southern can be done by bus for at least a few of the other schools. It doesn't have much in the way of national pizzaz, but nobody the Sun Belt gets is going todo that. They do have a name if you follow FCS and probably most football fans are at least aware of them from their past. I'd take them and Appy State in a heartbeat. Good football programs and they already have a rivalry.

The sun Belt is down to eight football schools and two who do not play football. (I'd kick them out, but that's just me). They need fresh blood before C-USA makes another raid.

Just a minor note.....the Sun Belt is not #11 out of 11 in FBS. The WAC no longer sponsors football and may very well be done altogether. So they are now #10 out of 10, though I'd say they have drawn even with C-USA.

c-usa is beneath the mvfc at this point. They have been decimated by raiding.

GSU Eagle
December 3rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Who knows what is going on at this point. Several possibilities: 1. The SB plans to invite Appalachian and GSU and is waiting for the playoffs to end for GSU before doing it.
2. The SB is adding New Mexico St. and Idaho since they already are FBS teams. If that was the plan there is no real reason to wait. Both of them would join in a heartbeat as the alternative for them is Independent next year. 3. The SB plan is to go to 12 teams and have a championship game. In that case 4 teams will be invited--one would guess 2 eastern teams (GSU and App I guess) and 2 western teams (possibly NMSU and Idaho or NMSU and a FCS team from Texas -- Lamar possibly).

So who knows. I have heard so many contradictory things about my Eagles ranking from we are a lock to be invited to we have been told the SB does not want us. I do know from comments made by Pres. Keel and our new AD that we are pushing hard for the FBS.

As a longtime Eagle fan I certainly have some reservations about what apparently we are trying to do. If we go I will miss the trips to SoCon sites and the fun of the playoffs.