PDA

View Full Version : Would stripping Maryland of NCAA Certification stop the madness?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 12:57 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/realignmentaggedon-should-ncaa-intervene.html

DSUrocks07
November 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/11/realignmentaggedon-should-ncaa-intervene.html

It really would be armageddon with the BCS schools leaving the NCAA enmass.

boonegoon
November 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
While I hate all this shuffling and realignment, the idea that the NCAA can call someone else out for chasing dollars is laughable.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 01:06 PM
It really would be armageddon with the BCS schools leaving the NCAA enmass.

Armageddon would be different from what's happening now.... how?

GannonFan
November 28th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I don't get the premise. The NCAA is entirely made up of the schools who are part of the realignment shuffle. The NCAA isn't a separate power entity unto itself. Obviously there are plenty of schools that are deciding to realign, so why would those same schools then work against themselves by using the NCAA to stop it? That would be like me speeding on a highway while at the same time calling 911 to report that I'm speeding down the highway.

And really, academics haven't been a big part of the college sports equation for about 20 years now, if not longer (Didn't the Univ of Chicago drop football in the late 30's, the 1930's, because of that?). That ship sailed a long time ago.

walliver
November 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
The NCAA needs the Big 5 conferences, the Big 5 don't need the NCAA. The BCS teams can have their own football championship, BB tourney etc., and it will bring in more money than the NCAA's.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 01:11 PM
The NCAA needs the Big 5 conferences, the Big 5 don't need the NCAA. The BCS teams can have their own football championship, BB tourney etc., and it will bring in more money than the NCAA's.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Cocky
November 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Schools like ballplayers should be able to play who and where they want without penalty. People and institutions change andfriends do too

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM
The NCAA is becoming the ECAC--a rules making group but with no direct power over schools.

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'd like to be reimbursed for the two minutes that I'll never get back for perusing that nonsensical schlop.

Laker
November 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
It isn't like those schools are trying to secede. They are still in the NCAA. Should the NCAA care about which friends (teams) a school hangs out with?

PAllen
November 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM
While I hate all this shuffling and realignment, the idea that the NCAA can call someone else out for chasing dollars is laughable.

+1

CopperCat
November 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM
The NCAA is becoming the ECAC--a rules making group but with no direct power over schools.

This.

And as a result the NCAA will find new ways to maintain legitimacy in wielding its power, which will only perpetuate the continuous struggle for power over college sports.

Bottom line: $$$$

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
NCAA isn't going to do anything. They don't have any power.