PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State at Appalachian State

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

T-Dog
November 24th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Probably the most intriguing second-round game. Both teams finished 8-3 and won a lot of close games.

2 pm EST this Saturday in Boone.

AppMAN04
November 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Cant wait!! going to be a good game, with the few weeks rest and time to heal I think APP comes out smoking hot.. Should be a good crowd if the weather holds up.

BisonBohl
November 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Should be another of the many good games. I really think ISU-R has a great shot to win but I will give App the slight edge at home.

Good luck to both teams but Go Redbirds!

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 24th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Go App St

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

AppAlum2003
November 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
App has been awful at home this year and ISU has been good on the road. Couple that with three straight weeks off and I don't like the Mountaineers chances. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

md64179
November 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Very interested to see how app plays after three weeks off against a team that plays well on the road. I'm know that ISU reminds lots of app fans of a Maine or Nova, but I hope this rested app team can find a way to win! Either way I will be there loud and proud.

ThompsonThe
November 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Seems like it will be an interesting match up. Not sure whether I should be that concerned with Illinois State coming to Boone or not. Both teams have had some good wins this year but App State seems to have just as good wins as ISU. Both teams have been up and down during the year. Probably just depends on who is hot and who is not. So, no point in worrying about something that would be hard to know.

seantaylor
November 25th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Some very good second round games, all including the Socon in byes.

ASU_Fanatic
November 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM
App State wins 41-17

cbarrier90
November 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM
App has been awful at home this year and ISU has been good on the road. Couple that with three straight weeks off and I don't like the Mountaineers chances. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

All of this right here...

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I don't see App State's defense stopping Illinois States offense. 42-38 Redbirds hold on at the end.

PhillyApp1
November 25th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I don't see App State's defense stopping Illinois States offense. 42-38 Redbirds hold on at the end.

Does ISU run the Triple Option?

That was our problem this year... all the other games we played pretty well and got better.

3 weeks to get healthy on both sides of the ball !! We should not be tired and worn out like many other years.

The key to this game is our Defensive pressure and if our COACHES give the players the plays to score over and over and over and over & over & over again.

DO NOT LET THE FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL APP COACHES.....let the kids score every time.....use ALL of our offensive weapons...long passes and short passes.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
The only hope the redbirdgs have is to grind it out, win the time of possesion, and make this a low scoring game. This is the best offensive team they will face all year, if they get into a shootout with App, they are going to lose, Apps got too many athletes for the Redbirds . App 35 Redbirds 21

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Does ISU run the Triple Option?

That was our problem this year... all the other games we played pretty well and got better.

3 weeks to get healthy on both sides of the ball !! We should not be tired and worn out like many other years.

The key to this game is our Defensive pressure and if our COACHES give the players the plays to score over and over and over and over & over & over again.

DO NOT LET THE FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL APP COACHES.....let the kids score every time.....use ALL of our offensive weapons...long passes and short passes.

Montana didn't run the triple option, and I see Illinois St as being better on both sides of the ball than Montana was. The Redbirds defense is what I am looking at, that will be the difference in this offensive game. Keeping the Mountaineers below 40.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Okay, but I see App holding the Redbirds under 24

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Go redbirds!

Thumper 76
November 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Go birds!

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
go Mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!

SeattleGriz
November 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Anyone know off hand, without having to google map it, how much traveling ISU has really had to do? Are their road games short bus rides, or all day airplane flights?

PhillyApp1
November 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Montana didn't run the triple option, and I see Illinois St as being better on both sides of the ball than Montana was. The Redbirds defense is what I am looking at, that will be the difference in this offensive game. Keeping the Mountaineers below 40.

Gil...I can tell you the team we are now is much better than the team that played Montana...we have matured every game since the "Citadel scored again" game....we have had 3 weeks to rest....This game will be in the APP coaches hand to call the right defenses and let the Offense GO....i agree with you " keeping the Mountaineers below 40" or APP keeping ISU below 40?

Bisonator
November 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I got ISU over APP 24-20. Could go either way though, should be a fun game to watch too bad we can't. Thanks ESPN!

GATA
November 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I got ISU over APP 24-20. Could go either way though, should be a fun game to watch too bad we can't. Thanks ESPN!

Pretty much a guarantee that App loses by 10+ here.

They have grown complacent since their 3peat. They don't really play with pride or hunger anymore.

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
31-17 ISUr

The Moody1
November 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM

They have grown complacent since their 3peat. They don't really play with pride or hunger anymore.

They had enough pride and hunger to put away GSU in Gnatsboro and they will do the same to ISU. Breaking News - No one on this team was around for the 3peat. xlolx

AppAlum2003
November 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
They had enough pride and hunger to put away GSU in Gnatsboro and they will do the same to ISU. Breaking News - No one on this team was around for the 3peat. xlolx

And no one on the team was in middle school yet the last time GSU won a title.

McLeansvilleAppFan
November 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Awful at home against the option would be a better statement, imho.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM
thats a pretty bold statement by GATA, stupid, but bold. Now, if your looking at an upset the weekend, look no further than the GS/CA game, CA has one of the best passing offenses in the FCS, going against the worst secondary in the playoffs, still think that GS wins, but, if CA gets a fews stops/turnovers, with their passing attack will make things real unfortable for the locals at the "stink"

Appattk
November 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Watched the ISU vs. NDSU game... I will tell you that I'm certainly concerned about the pass coverage, especially deep and in the center of the field... The ISU QB picked NDSU apart in those spots and Lord knows ASU has a hard enough time defending those areas... Might be a long cold day on Saturday...

md64179
November 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM
And no one on the team was in middle school yet the last time GSU won a title.

Haha. Truth

Southern Bison
November 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Watched the ISU vs. NDSU game... I will tell you that I'm certainly concerned about the pass coverage, especially deep and in the center of the field... The ISU QB picked NDSU apart in those spots and Lord knows ASU has a hard enough time defending those areas... Might be a long cold day on Saturday...

This was probably the toughest game for me to pick in the round of 16. Living in the same state as App and following them all season as a fan of FCS football, I know they had a lot of struggles this year. Being a NDSU alum and also following MVFC, ISU-r has a strong secondary and defense overall along with a good QB and receiver corps. As some of you mentioned, I also have a concern about App's long break between games even though it has allowed injuries to heal completely.

(At least your last game wasn't W. Carolina or it could've meant a 4-week break!)

AppAlum2003
November 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Awful at home against the option would be a better statement, imho.

Barely squeaked past Elon IIRC. Gave up 21 nonsense points (fumble TD, kick ret TD, etc) to Furman.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Ill put Apps talent against anyones in the FCS, thats not our problem, whats hurt them all year long has been injuries, and lack of experience at alot of key positons. Well, the injury problems has been fixed with the long rest, Alot of our key talent is rested and ready to go. But the experience problem, there is a good chance it will cost us the season. With respect to the redbirds, i dont think it will be this weekend, App is the most balanced team in the playoffs, Miller, has over 1200 yds rushing, and over 300 yds receiving, if you key on him, JJ should have a very good day passing the ball, just too many weapons. Every team we have played this year, except GS, has played a nickle package defense, giving us the quick 5-7 sideline routes. Whats worked against us, is we get impatent, and try to force the ball in the middle of the field. We also are a terrible redzone offense, get the feeling that the new OC doesnt completely trust our qb, so we get ulta conservative, and end up kicking alot of field goals where we should be scoring touchdowns. I have no expectations for this team, I think they could easily win the NC , or just as easily lose in the third round of the playoffs.

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 09:12 PM
You app fans are trying to use some reverse psychology aren't you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cbarrier90
November 25th, 2012, 09:15 PM

This was true post-Satterfield from 2007-2011. It's the reason the coaching staff was overhauled this off-season in the first place. Had that same staff that is now at WCU still been at the reigns of this team, ASU loses the Samford, Montana, GSU, and possibly Elon games this year. Now that Satterfield is back along with a slew of young, energetic new coaches, this team has had a completely different vibe since Day 1.

The only thing I'm assured of is that if ASU does lose this game, it won't be because of complacency. Considering where this team was on September 16th, the fact that they're even here and with a ring to boot is a success.

Saint3333
November 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Not really teams that give App difficulty are those with a good pass rush and big Oline, basically power teams. That is exactly What I see from ISU. The most troubling stat is their top 10 national ranking in sacks and sacks allowed.

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM
App is the most balanced team in the playoffs, Miller, has over 1200 yds rushing, and over 300 yds receiving, if you key on him, JJ should have a very good day passing the ball, just too many weapons.

I doubt this claim

NDSU

Rushing Yards - 2167

Passing Yards - 2079

88yd differential

App St

Rushing Yards - 1992

Passing Yards - 3142

1150yd differential

theasushow
November 25th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I doubt this claim

NDSU

Rushing Yards - 2167

Passing Yards - 2079

88yd differential

App St

Rushing Yards - 1992

Passing Yards - 3142

1150yd differential

holy! you mean we had 888 more yards this season that NDSU?! That's like 2 games worth!

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 09:33 PM
holy! you mean we had 888 more yards this season that NDSU?! That's like 2 games worth!

Indeed. You also gave up 184 more points (thats like 6 whole 30 point games worth), 1453 more rushing yards and 934 more passing yards than NDSU. 314 vs 130. NDSU gave up 738 rushing yards App gave up 2191. NDSU gave up 1415 passing yards App gave up 2349.

Ginsbach
November 25th, 2012, 09:34 PM

App State has also allowed signifantly more yards than NDSU:

NDSU:
Rushing Yards Allowed - 738
Passing Yards Allowed - 1415
Total Yards Allowed - 2153

App State:
Rushing Yards Allowed -2191
Passing Yards Allowed - 2349
Total Yards Allowed - 4540

App State has allowed 2387 more yards than NDSU, or 2.1 times the amount. To use your comparison, App State has allowed an entire season's worth of yards more than NDSU!

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 09:36 PM
App State has also allowed signifantly more yards than NDSU:

NDSU:
Rushing Yards Allowed - 738
Passing Yards Allowed - 1415
Total Yards Allowed - 2153

App State:
Rushing Yards Allowed -2191
Passing Yards Allowed - 2349
Total Yards Allowed - 4540

App State has allowed 2387 more yards than NDSU, or 2.1 times the amount. To use your comparison, App State has allowed an entire season's worth of yards more than NDSU!

And 184 more points allowed lol.

cbarrier90
November 25th, 2012, 09:36 PM
You app fans are trying to use some reverse psychology aren't you?

Getting blown out at home in the playoffs two years in a row will make you pessimistic.

theasushow
November 25th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Right well we were talking about OFFENSIVE balance, and thanks to his stats I immediately noticed a huge discrepancy in yards. Not real sure where this random talk about defense came in.

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Right well we were talking about OFFENSIVE balance, and thanks to his stats I immediately noticed a huge discrepancy in yards. Not real sure where this random talk about defense came in.

We don't do a whole lot of big plays, we run long methodical drives and sit on the ball 35-40 minutes a game. NDSU will always be a defensive team.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM
well,, you caught me there twentysix, since you decided to make it literal, I guess I should have said, ONE of most balanced teams in the playoffs. Looking at your offensive stats, got to wonder, where is your offense?, Apps puts up almost 900 more yds? I had heard you had a great defense, probably the best in the playoffs, but I got to wonder if your defense can carry the team to the NC,. I'll say this, both App and ND, are at the opposite end of the specturm on how to get to Frisco, you have to do it with your defense, we will do it with our offense.

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Getting blown out at home in the playoffs two years in a row will make you pessimistic.

Nice to read the app fans posts. Not a lot of of we won this in..... And did this......look forward to watching you guys play the Griz next year again, hopefully they give you more of a game. They were really down this year.

Remember it is the playoffs, anything can happen. Everyone is good from here on out. Good luck. Could be a couple Big Sky opponents in you future.

theasushow
November 25th, 2012, 10:01 PM
We did it with offense in 2006 and 2007...in the playoffs it didn't matter how many the other team scored, they couldn't outscore us. Unfortunately this years team while potent, looks nothing like the NC teams. We rolled through CAA, MVC and Big Sky teams like they weren't even there...now every game is a battle.

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM
We did it with offense in 2006 and 2007...in the playoffs it didn't matter how many the other team scored, they couldn't outscore us. Unfortunately this years team while potent, looks nothing like the NC teams. We rolled through CAA, MVC and Big Sky teams like they weren't even there...now every game is a battle.

Yes you did, demolished the cats one year if I remember correctly, like sliced butter. Joyous had tat stud QB if I remember correctly

theasushow
November 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yes you did, demolished the cats one year if I remember correctly, like sliced butter. Joyous had tat stud QB if I remember correctly

Yeah, beat up on Montana State 38-17. They had destroyed Furman the week before in the first round so I was a little nervous, but they couldnt stop the run.

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah, beat up on Montana State 38-17. They had destroyed Furman the week before in the first round so I was a little nervous, but they couldnt stop the run.

I think this year even though we lost to EWU the Cats are the better team. But I think the Big Sky is down this year. Not overly confident with the Cats.

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Also the MVFC is a defensive minded conference. You will find that out when you play ISU this weekend.

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 07:03 AM

How could you possibly justify that statement? Would you not agree that it took pride and hunger to win 2 of our last 3 games in Paulson Stadium and 4 of 5 overall against Georgia Southern since the 3-peat?

Our struggles in the playoffs have been due to lack of in recruiting the trenches about 3-4 years ago when we brought in classes with almost exclusively skill position players. Teams like Villanova and Maine who were very strong up front dominated the line of scrimmage against us. That is the reason we don't have a starter on either line that is older than a sophomore. We have been gradually improving in that regard as evidenced by a stronger run game and much better offensive balance this season but our struggles have had nothing to do with our team not playing with pride or hunger.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 26th, 2012, 07:06 AM
its going to be an interesting game, what I have read and heard about ISU makes me believe they will be one of the toughest defensive teams we will play all year, but, on the other hand, we are perhaps the best offensive team they will face so far this season. Not sure how this going to end, but it will be fun to watch.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2012, 07:58 AM
After watching both teams play at least once I think this will be a relatively high-scoring game. App. State's defensive line is going to get manhandled and Matt Brown should have ample time to throw it. Also, App's receivers are going to run circles around the ISU secondary. Hillbillies win 35-28.

Saint3333
November 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Not completely true, in 2006 App had IMO the best defense we've ever had. Only allowed 223 points in 15 games which included about 60 garbage points when we were up by 3 scores.

ST_Lawson
November 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Anyone know off hand, without having to google map it, how much traveling ISU has really had to do? Are their road games short bus rides, or all day airplane flights?

ISUr's away games this year were:
Eastern Michigan, Western Illinois, South Dakota, Northern Iowa and Indiana State
My guess is that EMU, USD and UNI were short flights. ISUr to Western is about a 2 hour, 15 minute drive. ISUr to ISUb is about a 2 hour, 45 minute drive.

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM

It has made me cautious. This is a tough draw and ISU will give us all we want but I would be surprised with a blowout either way.

LeeshaJo
November 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Have to be honest, Haven't watched App State at all this year, but I think Ill. State is going to be a tough out for anyone.

I-AA Fan
November 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM
ILS is the better team, but has never faced the spread with a read component for 4-quarters. There only real look at a good spread/read was at YSU. YSU brought the read into the game for the first half and scored 28-points. YSU's offense collapsed in the second half (zero points), or that score would have been more than double. ASU factors in the option with a rushing QB. Sorry I do not see this one being close due to differences in offensive style. The best advice I have for ILS is to go back to good old Gateway Conference ball (like NDSU). The best advice that I have for ASU is to protect your quarterback and key on special teams and field position.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
These are the best 4 receivers, best RB and best QB the gored birds have seen all season (name taken from goredbirds.com). I think the Apps win by 13.

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think both defenses will be facing the best QB they've seen all season. Should be very interesting.

ASU_Fanatic
November 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
These are the best 4 receivers, best RB and best QB the gored birds have seen all season (name taken from goredbirds.com). I think the Apps win by 13.
Yeah for real. I'm surprised, a lot of App fans seem to be expecting to lose. Can App lose? Absolutely, they have been inconsistent all season and two of their losses came at home and ISU is a great road team. But come on now, App is the better team... I expect them to win by 10+ at home.

AppAlum2003
November 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah for real. I'm surprised, a lot of App fans seem to be expecting to lose. Can App lose? Absolutely, they have been inconsistent all season and two of their losses came at home and ISU is a great road team. But come on now, App is the better team... I expect them to win by 10+ at home.

Nova and Maine would like to have a word with you...

Bisonator
November 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Why? Offensively App is probably better. Certainly not defensively. How are special teams wise?

As an NDSU fan we heard all of this "Oh you've never seen an offense like this" before. That only takes you so far. You're going to have to play some defense if you expect to win it all.

ASU_Fanatic
November 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nova and Maine would like to have a word with you...

What about them? Playoff losses... yeah, they happen. Nova that year that Szczur kid just played out of his head and I have no idea what happened against Maine last year but App is much better this year than they were last year. Jamal was still a youngster last year and had no playoff experience and we never had a consistent back last year like Miller has been this season not to mention a loaded core of wide receivers. Also Saeterrfield being back makes an enormous difference. Our defense worries me a bit but I don't think it's any secret that we are better against the run than the pass, and if I'm not mistaken Illinois State runs a pro-style type offense which I think works to our advantage. I'm just saying App doesn't have much of an excuse not to win this game, I thought we got pretty lucky with the draw and you know the players have a bitter taste in their mouths from last years' playoff debacle. Will App have to play well to win? For sure, but these players know that.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Why? Offensively App is probably better. Certainly not defensively. How are special teams wise?

As an NDSU fan we heard all of this "Oh you've never seen an offense like this" before. That only takes you so far. You're going to have to play some defense if you expect to win it all.

ASU has the speed advantage. ISU has the size advantage in the trenches. Whoever plays their game is going to win.

Our receivers and other skill players will run circles around the ISU guys, without a doubt, but I still think we might lose. Those big corn-fed midwestern boys are quite the hurdle to over come. Satterfield will toast their defense. I think the biggest ? is App's ability to stop the gored bird's passing attack. We WILL score 30+ points. If the gored birds can do the same, I don't like our chances.

What gives me confidence is how straight forward the gored birds O is. There is no FCS program with better athletes than ASU. What gives us trouble is schemes that test our players' brains.

I think ASU wins by 8 points.

ASU_Fanatic
November 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Special teams we don't have any real threats as far as return men go but Sam Martin is a legitimate NFL prospect. People are severely underrating App's defense... the defensive line hasn't been very effective this season but we have a solid core of linebackers and our secondary ain't bad excluding Blalock. I just think App's offense will score too many points in the end for ISU to keep up with, maybe I'm a little overconfident and am expecting App to hit full-stride in the playoffs. Jamal is going to step up big and the team is healthy and rested... another factor that's being somewhat underlooked. App needs to find a way to get some pressure on the QB, I agree with that but I still think they look better on paper.

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM

First off, I'm not expecting a 10+ point win myself. This game could go either way but from what I've seen, which was all of the NDSU/ISU game, Appalachian is faster as a team with more weapons offensively.

ISU is big, disciplined and certainly stronger on defense. However, I don't think the ASU defense is as bad as the statistics indicate, particularly against a more traditional offense. We were absolutely gouged by the three triple option teams we faced this year and although we were not dominant against the other teams, we were respectable (366 YPG, 24.5 PPG).

I do think Brown is a very good QB and their offense is better than any non-option offense we saw this season aside from ECU but if we are able to keep them in the 21-27 range, I like our chances.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM
ASU has the speed advantage. ISU has the size advantage in the trenches. Whoever plays their game is going to win.

Our receivers and other skill players will run circles around the ISU guys, without a doubt, but I still think we might lose. Those big corn-fed midwestern boys are quite the hurdle to over come. Satterfield will toast their defense. I think the biggest ? is App's ability to stop the gored bird's passing attack. We WILL score 30+ points. If the gored birds can do the same, I don't like our chances.

What gives me confidence is how straight forward the gored birds O is. There is no FCS program with better athletes than ASU. What gives us trouble is schemes that test our players' brains.

I think ASU wins by 8 points.

You are welcome to your opinion on who will win the game. I see it going in favor of ISUr, but I am admittedly biased.

But, do we really have to do this every year? You really think your skill players are that much more athletic than ISUr. Based on what? Last time I checked, Illinois had damn good high school football. Much more respected nationally than North Carolina. I realize that neither team recruits exclusively in their respective state, but it tends to be a team's base.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
How could you possibly justify that statement? Would you not agree that it took pride and hunger to win 2 of our last 3 games in Paulson Stadium and 4 of 5 overall against Georgia Southern since the 3-peat?

Our struggles in the playoffs have been due to lack of in recruiting the trenches about 3-4 years ago when we brought in classes with almost exclusively skill position players. Teams like Villanova and Maine who were very strong up front dominated the line of scrimmage against us. That is the reason we don't have a starter on either line that is older than a sophomore. We have been gradually improving in that regard as evidenced by a stronger run game and much better offensive balance this season but our struggles have had nothing to do with our team not playing with pride or hunger.

I was thinking App was going to win this game until this comment, now it's definitely a toss up.

I think what's great about the playoffs is that there a more definite unknown factor. ISU doesn't play many spread teams like App, but they are an MVC team that likes to run the ball and play good defense. On the flip side, App's defense has been unimpressive this year but it's been decent in streaks. The offense of App State has kept them in games and will keep them in games in the playoffs, as I only remember one or two games at which the offense had trouble scoring when it needed to (Citadel, Wofford).

With that said, the battle of the trenches is HUGE, and one of the problems App had when playing Wofford, the Citadel, etc was when they had the ball the DL seemingly controlled the LOS. ISU is an MVC team, and you can't play or win in the MVC without good play in the trenches, so they'll certainly have the edge there.

Should be a good game. If App rushes for 150 yards, I think they win, but I think they'll have a hard time doing that.

I think the Socon has the highest probability of getting multiple teams in the second round.

Bisonator
November 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Just wish I could watch this game. Always fun to see two power conference teams do battle. Still think ISU wins a close one. Good luck to both teams!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Best receivers? Most definitely.
Best QB? Maybe.

But you're being a real homer if you think Steven Miller is better than Shakir Bell.

Saint3333
November 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM

It seems that some fans are getting confused with the subject at hand. We are discussing the App/ISU game not winning it all.

As for the skill players, I wouldn't trade App's RB and top 4 WRs for anyone in the nation. However there are 30 teams I'd trade lines with due to our youth at those positions.

The NDSU fans are saying they have to put up with this "speed" argument each week. Well join the club App had to put up with "you haven't seen our defense" argument for 12 straight playoff games in the mid-2000's.

I hope this games turns into the SIU, YSU, or WIU games from the playoffs, but unsure if our lines are up to the test. Anyone that claims either one of these teams is clearly better than the other is a homer. That is why it should be a great game.

GlassOnion
November 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Subtract the 3 triple option teams, and App St's Defense is giving up 366 total yards per game, and just 119 YPG on the ground. That includes the FBS game. The stats also show the D trending better and better from the beginning of the season.

Stat sheet says Illinois State gives up 316 total and 137 on the ground. 50 ypg difference.

The differences in defense will not really be a deal breaker, especially considering App outgains the Illinois St offense by 83 yards per game. The game looks pretty darn equal to me, which means when you include game plans and the intangibles, it can end up to be anywhere from blowout ISU to blowout App.

GlassOnion
November 26th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Best QB? Maybe.

But you're being a real homer if you think Steven Miller is better than Shakir Bell.

If Miller had the 2007 App St OL, he'd be the Payton winner. Nobody could run better than Miller behind this OL. No one.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
You are welcome to your opinion on who will win the game. I see it going in favor of ISUr, but I am admittedly biased.

But, do we really have to do this every year? You really think your skill players are that much more athletic than ISUr. Based on what? Last time I checked, Illinois had damn good high school football. Much more respected nationally than North Carolina. I realize that neither team recruits exclusively in their respective state, but it tends to be a team's base.

College football teams in the South are faster. That is a fact.

Not to mention, ASU constantly has one of the fastest teams of those southern teams.

Win or lose, we have had a significant speed advantage against every non-SoCon FCS I have ever seen us play. For the record, we recruit in GA, SC and NC primarily.

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Not to mention, ASU constantly has one of the fastest teams of those southern teams.

Win or lose, we have had a significant speed advantage against every non-SoCon FCS I have ever seen us play. For the record, we recruit in GA, SC and NC primarily.

Oh boy...the locals are not gonna like this one... xpopcornx

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I was thinking App was going to win this game until this comment, now it's definitely a toss up.

I think what's great about the playoffs is that there a more definite unknown factor. ISU doesn't play many spread teams like App, but they are an MVC team that likes to run the ball and play good defense. On the flip side, App's defense has been unimpressive this year but it's been decent in streaks. The offense of App State has kept them in games and will keep them in games in the playoffs, as I only remember one or two games at which the offense had trouble scoring when it needed to (Citadel, Wofford).

With that said, the battle of the trenches is HUGE, and one of the problems App had when playing Wofford, the Citadel, etc was when they had the ball the DL seemingly controlled the LOS. ISU is an MVC team, and you can't play or win in the MVC without good play in the trenches, so they'll certainly have the edge there.

Should be a good game. If App rushes for 150 yards, I think they win, but I think they'll have a hard time doing that.

I think the Socon has the highest probability of getting multiple teams in the second round.

Not to state the obvious, but this seems to be slipping everyone's mind.

The Wofford and Citadel games were 6 and 12 weeks ago respectively and they were not pass happy attacks like ISU.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Amazing...

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM
App will go as far as their offensive/defensive line takes them, they have been held to under 400 yds in only one game, I'm not worried about any defense in the playoffs shutting them down. What does worry me is dumb mistakes, which we have made alot this year, and the lack of productivity in the redzone. I dont know why, but we really bog down in the redzone, if we expect to go deep into the playoffs, we cant keep wasting opportunities, field goals are not going to beat ISU or anyone else in the playoffs.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Amazing...

You're amazed by true statements? Somehow I'm not surprised...

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Amazing...

And there you have it...

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
You're amazed by true statements? Somehow I'm not surprised...

Amazed that this antequated opinion that has never had any facts behind it is still propagated by the uneducated.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2002/01/not_so_fast.html

Admittedly, slate.com doesn't seem like the most credible of sources. But he does cite other sources for the factual parts of the article that have much more credibility in my mind.

Also, it's old, but so is this opinion and it is as wrong now as it was then.

GlassOnion
November 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I never really could tell if it was speed, or just the fact we play better football down here.

Thunderstruck
November 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Whoever wins this game (most unpredictable game of the week) has a good shot at making a deep playoff run. Other than the SDSU/NDSU game, this is the next game i will be watching.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I never really could tell if it was speed, or just the fact we play better football down here.

If you were to make that argument at least you would have some data to back it up, especially recently with what has gone on in the SEC.

I have never seen one, not even one article that ever has shown that southern teams were faster. And how easy would it be for you southern folks to prove if it were actually true? Every team runs 40's.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM
If you were to make that argument at least you would have some data to back it up, especially recently with what has gone on in the SEC.

I have never seen one, not even one article that ever has shown that southern teams were faster. And how easy would it be for you southern folks to prove if it were actually true? Every team runs 40's.

Southern teams and fans are the most pathetically funny people in that they believe this horse****. It's the simplest thing to see when any other conference matches up with them and you can see that all that team speed just doesn't exist.

I guess it only bothers me because it's hard to see people look this dumb.

NDSU09
November 26th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Sam Houston fans couldn't stop talking about their speed before the title game last year. Some thought they would put up 30 or 40 points against us. Unfortunately for them, they only had 6 points worth of speed.

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Sam Houston fans couldn't stop talking about their speed before the title game last year. Some thought they would put up 30 or 40 points against us. Unfortunately for them, they only had two field goals worth of speed.

FIFY, made it slightly more accurate ;)

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Southern teams and fans are the most pathetically funny people in that they believe this horse****. It's the simplest thing to see when any other conference matches up with them and you can see that all that team speed just doesn't exist.

I guess it only bothers me because it's hard to see people look this dumb.

Both Georgia Southern and SAM thru the speed advantage at NDSU last year prior to each game. Saw the speed limp off the field both times. ;)

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I bet a beer that M Will can run down anyone on App's team.

Bison56
November 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Looking foward to a good game. Heard the whole speed thing last year. xcoffeex

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I challenge anyone on this board to provide even the smallest hint of evidence that this is true. If not it's time to STHU about it.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Amazed that this antequated opinion that has never had any facts behind it is still propagated by the uneducated.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2002/01/not_so_fast.html

Admittedly, slate.com doesn't seem like the most credible of sources. But he does cite other sources for the factual parts of the article that have much more credibility in my mind.

Also, it's old, but so is this opinion and it is as wrong now as it was then.

Really? THAT is your "substantiation?" Granted, I'm not aware of any articles speaking on the superiority of Southern speed, but if I found one on that site I certainly wouldn't post it here.

I think we can agree that the topic is rather uncharted among reputable perfesionals and we're going to agree to disagree.

Southern football teams are faster IMO. I've watched it for years.

Now, who's gonna be "that guy" and start counting black people on everyone's two-deep?

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Tacoi Sumler. Make it a case. Dude ran a 4.2 in high school.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Really? THAT is your "substantiation?" Granted, I'm not aware of any articles speaking on the superiority of Southern speed, but if I found one on that site I certainly wouldn't post it here.

I think we can agree that the topic is rather uncharted among reputable perfesionals and we're going to agree to disagree.

Southern football teams are faster IMO. I've watched it for years.

Now, who's gonna be "that guy" and start counting black people on everyone's two-deep?

You don't get to have an opinion on something that is either right or wrong. It's not a judgement call, it's either true or it isn't, it isn't based on perspective or paradigm. You said it was a fact, it simply isn't.

Also, I don't have to provide evidence that it isn't true. I'm not the one making the statement. The burden of proof lies squarely on your shoulders.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Tacoi Sumler. Make it a case. Dude ran a 4.2 in high school.

Yeah well according to my highschool coach I ran a 4.36. Never heard of him so I doubt very much that is true.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Fellas, it is possible to beat a team that is much faster than yours...

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah well according to my highschool coach I ran a 4.36. Never heard of him so I doubt very much that is true.

http://vimeo.com/13262706

4.24, digitally timed at the Nike combine.

You likely won't hear much about him until 2014 after Andrew Peacock and Tony Washington graduate. He is still very raw but his straight-line speed is incredible.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM
You don't get to have an opinion on something that is either right or wrong. It's not a judgement call, it's either true or it isn't, it isn't based on perspective or paradigm. You said it was a fact, it simply isn't.

Also, I don't have to provide evidence that it isn't true. I'm not the one making the statement. The burden of proof lies squarely on your shoulders.

So until a reputable study is actually done, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I'm not the editor of Sports Illustrated. I can't just make it happen.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
http://vimeo.com/13262706

4.24, digitally timed at the Nike combine.

Just looked that up myself when he said his name, he also ONLY ran a 10.49 in the 100m. Something doesn't add up. 4.24 and 10.49 just don't compute.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
So until a reputable study is actually done, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I'm not the editor of Sports Illustrated. I can't just make it happen.

But what are you basing this on? If you are basing it on watching the games then I will tell your eyes are deceiving you. Southern teams more often than not play in warmer climates than northern teams, they have offenses built on a more wide open game and may look faster, but they aren't. West coast teams are the same, they look fast because of the offenses they run.

Where does Oregon fit into your theory? Usually considered the fastest college football team in the nation and sits squarely north of the Mason Dixon line.

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Just looked that up myself when he said his name, he also ONLY ran a 10.49 in the 100m. Something doesn't add up. 4.24 and 10.49 just don't compute.

How so? 100 meters is 109 yards. A 4.24 second 40-yard dash is 9.43 yards/second and a 10.49 second 100-meter dash works out to 10.39 yards/second. Since he is picking up speed as he goes, that makes sense to me. Either way, it is splitting hairs. Kid is very, very fast and if his all-around game catches up to his speed in his time at ASU, he could be a great player for us.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Fellas, it is possible to beat a team that is much faster than yours...

It's also possible that you get into some silly groupthink and believe complete BS. It's not that hard to take the starters times and avg. them out and see that it doesn't hold water, hell go two deep if you want to. Almost every team has one or two real quick guys that if they get the ball in space will make the other team pay. Choosing that one or few guys as your trophy of team speed is pretty silly.

As you know I watched the same ASU game against Montana you did and I'm sure you saw some great team speed thing that I did not witness. I can tell you that MSU or EWU has every bit the team speed that ASU does. I think ASU is a good team because they are just a good team and they make plays. It doesn't have **** all to do with some phantom thing you think you are seeing.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
How so? 100 meters is 109 yards. A 4.24 second 40-yard dash is 9.43 yards/second and a 10.49 second 100-meter dash works out to 10.39 yards/second. Since he is picking up speed as he goes, that makes sense to me. Either way, it is splitting hairs. Kid is very, very fast and if his all-around game catches up to his speed in his time at ASU, he could be a great player for us.

I have no doubt the kid is fast, but I looked up his highschool times and it appears I'm not the only one who doubts the 4.24.

http://heismanpundit.com/2011/02/04/the-fastest-players-from-the-class-of-2011/

I pulled the 10.49 time off of the App St. website, but can't find another source that has him running faster than 10.79.

Now that really doesn't compute.

I am sure we can both point to specific players that are very fast, but that doesn't mean the team as a whole is faster than another team.

For example, I played football with two receivers that ran 10.3 100m, one is the fastest track athlete ever at NDSU with a 10.22. Does that mean I get to use that as an argument that NDSU is faster than App St?

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I only mentioned Sumler in response to the beer bet about so and so "running down any player on ASU's team," not as an example to prove we are faster.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I only mentioned Sumler in response to the beer bet about so and so "running down any player on ASU's team," not as an example to prove we are faster.

That's true, fair enough.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM

My bad. That makes sense.

asumike83
November 26th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Just a general observation but in many of these games where we've seen the top-notch SEC teams destroy the top-notch Big 10 teams, I do see a big speed difference but not in the skill position players who pride themselves on 40 times. It is their defensive lines who are too quick off the ball for the offensive linemen to stay in front of.

Edge316007
November 26th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Where does Oregon fit into your theory? Usually considered the fastest college football team in the nation and sits squarely north of the Mason Dixon line.

Ironically, that's where Sumler transferred from.

EDIT: And for that matter, went to HS in Florida

theasushow
November 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Also the MVFC is a defensive minded conference. You will find that out when you play ISU this weekend.

yeah... your MVFC defensive minded conference mate Western Illinois told us the same thing in 2010. 42-14.

AppMan
November 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM

My money is on Sumler....

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM
yeah... your MVFC defensive minded conference mate Western Illinois told us the same thing in 2010. 42-14.

Well you're speed conference mate GSU told us how fast they were last year. 35-7.

This is fun.xbangx

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Ironically, that's where Sumler transferred from.

EDIT: And for that matter, went to HS in Florida

Doesn't change the fact that Oregon is a "northern team"

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM
My money is on Sumler....

Chances are, if he runs a 100 yard dash, he will run into the defense, unless he has some football moves.

theasushow
November 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Well you're speed conference mate GSU told us how fast they were last year. 35-7.

This is fun.xbangx

We're talking about ASU here...not GSU....we have beat them the past 2 years while they were ranked the top team in the nation.

Edge316007
November 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Oregon is a "northern team"

Most of of the Oregon players are from California and the Southwest, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Only 19 players are from Oregon.

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM
We had a 10.22 guy back in 2004, but I'm not sure any of the current football players are in track.

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2012, 06:20 PM
WR/KR Ryan Smith ran a 10.71, 100 meters in High School, in North Dakota.

Amsterbison is the track geek from the Bison crowd, he might know more.

theasushow
November 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Leave it up to NDSU and ASU fans to turn a game thread into high school track times.

AppAlum2003
November 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
This thread has officially become unreadable.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Most of of the Oregon players are from California and the Southwest, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Only 19 players are from Oregon.

Drives me nuts when people chime in when they haven't read the thread. I don't want to rehash it so read the thread and if you still have questions as to my point I will be happy to tell you.

md64179
November 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
This thread has officially become unreadable.

Yea. There has not been actual talk about the game for a few pages now. Saturday can't get here quick enough

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
We're talking about ASU here...not GSU....we have beat them the past 2 years while they were ranked the top team in the nation.

And we're talking about ISUr not Western Illinois.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yea. There has not been actual talk about the game for a few pages now. Saturday can't get here quick enough

ISUr by 10 is my prediction. Outside of NDSU, I think they are the most complete and balanced team in the tournament.

Edge316007
November 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Drives me nuts when people chime in when they haven't read the thread. I don't want to rehash it so read the thread and if you still have questions as to my point I will be happy to tell you.

No, I know what your point was. I was being facetious. You said faster players don't come from the south and used "the fastest team in college football" to "prove your point". I went ahead and verified your "proof" for you. You still may be right, and I don't really care to look further, but using Oregon without researching where the players come from was just lazy.

AppAlum2003
November 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I can run faster than my older brother.

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Geez, NDSU. If an MVFC team loses it doesn't take anything away from your program. If an MVFC team wins, it doesn't add anything to your program. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
November 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM

I think I remember reading somewhere that he was faster in high school, though...

frozennorth
November 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM
NDSU and ASU, if they ever play, will cause several of the worst ags threads ever.

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that he was faster in high school, though...

No, see, they only clocked him in the 40 yard dash. By 100 yards he's slow as molasses.

Apphole
November 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM
NDSU and ASU, if they ever play, will cause several of the worst ags threads ever.

I can fill a thread just teaching you boys how to tailgate and explaining where the clitoris is.

It's called cornhole, not salad toss or what ever gay alias you Canadian hockey jockeys call it. xcoffeex

theasushow
November 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM
ISUr by 10 is my prediction. Outside of NDSU, I think they are the most complete and balanced team in the tournament.

Teams that are complete and balanced dont lose at home to a 3-8 Missouri State team and get shut out 17-0 at home to an average Southern Illinois team. Teams that are complete and have balance beat inferior teams. I didn't look but I would venture a guess that few if any other playoff teams were shutout at home this season.

GoVols
November 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Ill see you Appy boys in Boone on Saturday...I have faith in the REDBIRDS. Either they win a close one, or Appy blows em out of the water!!

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Teams that are complete and balanced dont lose at home to a 3-8 Missouri State team and get shut out 17-0 at home to an average Southern Illinois team. Teams that are complete and have balance beat inferior teams. I didn't look but I would venture a guess that few if any other playoff teams were shutout at home this season.

Was NDSU complete and balanced last year? Are they this year? Well both years they have lost at home to inferior opponents. Teams have off weeks and Southern Illinois may not have won a lot of games this year, but they are a weird matchup for some reason for a lot of teams and they are a tough win.

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ill see you Appy boys in Boone on Saturday...I have faith in the REDBIRDS. Either they win a close one, or Appy blows em out of the water!!

Chattown had an epiphany and is back once again!

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Was NDSU complete and balanced last year? Are they this year? Well both years they have lost at home to inferior opponents. Teams have off weeks and Southern Illinois may not have won a lot of games this year, but they are a weird matchup for some reason for a lot of teams and they are a tough win.

Seriously, what is it to you? Doesn't NDSU have their own playoff game to worry about?

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Seriously, what is it to you? Doesn't NDSU have their own playoff game to worry about?

We lookout for our conferencemates. (Except UNI, they can die in a fire)

MarkyMark
November 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM

I was really hoping to see ASU come through the dome this year.

Bison06
November 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM

I was explaining why ISUr is balanced.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 26th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I just saw the line on 5dimes is App St. -1.

Kinda surprised its so low...

GoVols
November 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Chattown had an epiphany and is back once again!

Who??? :lol:

X-Factor
November 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
ISUred by 1

25-24

T-Dog
November 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Well if I can interrupt this dick-measuring contest, I'm going to plug my article this week.

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Squeaky Bum Time (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeesbt/)

cbarrier90
November 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Who??? :lol:

Don't worry about it. He was/is before your time. haha

T-Dog
November 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Can we all agree that regardless of the result, NDSU fans will root for the victor over EWU?

Twentysix
November 27th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Can we all agree that regardless of the result, NDSU fans will root for the victor over EWU?

Most certainly, but id prefer to root for ISUr. ;) Although kicking their *** in the natty could be fun.

NDSU09
November 27th, 2012, 01:37 AM

We want EWU for revenge for 2010. But if ASU's speed is portrayed correctly in this thread, they have already ran all the way to the national championship trophy and picked it up and ran back to Boone with it

NDSU09
November 27th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I honestly don't know who to pick in this game, head scratcher of the week IMO. Where are the birds fans on here? Oh wait, i could tell by being in Normal that they dont care about football. I will say ISU-r 27, ASU 23

seantaylor
November 27th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Just a general observation but in many of these games where we've seen the top-notch SEC teams destroy the top-notch Big 10 teams, I do see a big speed difference but not in the skill position players who pride themselves on 40 times. It is their defensive lines who are too quick off the ball for the offensive linemen to stay in front of.

The Big 10 has a winning record against the SEC. This argument is fugazi. Speed doesn't grow geographically.

ITmonarch10
November 27th, 2012, 02:23 AM
We lookout for our conferencemates. (Except UNI, they can die in a fire)

WTF did UNI do to you. I thought SDSU/UND was your main rival.

NDSU09
November 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM

They think they are the kings of FCS football and they have never done anything.

frozennorth
November 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM

sdsu and ndsu are kinda bro-mantic.
ndsu and und don't play and und is really bad
UNI and NDSU are pretty bitter nowdays.

GoVols
November 27th, 2012, 05:35 AM
i could tell by being in Normal that they dont care about football.

Sad but true, the community supports basketball way more than football. This playoff game is an afterthought as the basketball team is playing @ Louisville at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houndawg
November 27th, 2012, 06:06 AM

What's so weird about a good defense?xconfusedx

Bison06
November 27th, 2012, 06:56 AM
What's so weird about a good defense?xconfusedx

That's actually what I wanted to say, but given the path the thread was going, I figured that point wouldn't be met very kindly.

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I honestly don't know who to pick in this game, head scratcher of the week IMO. Where are the birds fans on here? Oh wait, i could tell by being in Normal that they dont care about football. I will say ISU-r 27, ASU 23

...says the guy that joined in Nov 2012.

robsnotes4u
November 27th, 2012, 07:40 AM
The Big 10 has a winning record against the SEC. This argument is fugazi. Speed doesn't grow geographically.

The same as ".... Is a defensive minded league"' which really could be, " our league doesn't know how to play offense"

I do remember watching Randy Moss looking like a punt returner against the dbacks of Montana State as he blew by them and waited for the ball. Those were ugly days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

asumike83
November 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM

I never said speed grows geographically. I said that the elite SEC teams have defensive lines that are too fast and athletic for the other conferences to hang with, which I have seen numerous times in big games over the past decade. Northwestern beating Vanderbilt doesn't put the Big 10 on par with the SEC. It is the best conference in college football and it is not close.

Vitojr130
November 27th, 2012, 08:32 AM

xlolx

That's why that triple option was so effective against NDSU the last few times we've faced it... that crazy team speed in the south and all. xblahx

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM
xlolx

That's why that triple option was so effective against NDSU the last few times we've faced it... that crazy team speed in the south and all. xblahx

You Canadiens sure are hard-headed.

Faster teams don't always in the game.

Vitojr130
November 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
You Canadiens sure are hard-headed.

Faster teams don't always in the game.

Well, with nothing to back up your crazy team speed sentiment, what do you expect?

Edge316007
November 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I seriously don't understand the conference loyalty on this board. I hope GSU and Wofford lose in embarrassing fashion.

T-Dog
November 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Score Prediction

ASU: 400
ISUr: Threeve

344Johnson
November 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I seriously don't understand the conference loyalty on this board. I hope GSU and Wofford lose in embarrassing fashion.

SEC fans made it the cool thing to do.

asucrutch23
November 27th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Score Prediction

ASU: 400
ISUr: Threeve

All you had to do was write down a number. And you wrote, Threeve. A combination of three and five. Simply stunning. And your wager? Texas with a dollar sign in front of it. I'm speechless.

GoVols
November 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM

I personally have had good experiences when NDSU and UNI (cap'n & his crew) have come to ISU and I enjoyed tailgating with them. So in general it makes me want to root for their teams when we aren't playing them. That's why I have some conference loyalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM

Thank you for saying it!

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I hope GSU loses so bad that UCA runs the goal posts through their team bus.

I'm not sure why they'd have a bus at a home game, but just go with it.

Eaglesrus
November 27th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Unless they bring quite a few more people than most visiting teams do to Paulson they'll have a heck of a time pulling that one off. Oh, we'll have two team buses there; apparently you're not familiar with our tradition of the old yellow school buses.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
If Miller had the 2007 App St OL, he'd be the Payton winner. Nobody could run better than Miller behind this OL. No one.

I get what you're saying, and Miller has been in beast mode. But, with that said, I'll take our RB from 2007 KRich all day.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM

I can run faster than my younger brother. Your older brother should be ashamed. xlolx

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Best QB? Maybe.

Now that I've done more digging, that comment is completely ridiculous.

Bell has 1475 yards, 11 TDs,
Miller has 1307, 11 TDs, on 44 fewer carries. Miller averages more per carry 5.89 to 5.48. At that rate, Miller wit the same number of carries would have outgained Bell by nearly 90 yards.

Im not even arguing who is better, but calling Miller a homer pick is not real smart.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM

What a great post! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
On a serious note, I see a lot of guys picking ISUr against ASU. Could you all provide your reasoning? I honestly don't know enough about ISUr to even make a guess at which team will win, so I'd like to read a little more about ISUr rather than NDSU and the speed of southern teams. Thanks in advance.

Bison06
November 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Now that I've done more digging, that comment is completely ridiculous.

Bell has 1475 yards, 11 TDs,
Miller has 1307, 11 TDs, on 44 fewer carries. Miller averages more per carry 5.89 to 5.48. At that rate, Miller wit the same number of carries would have outgained Bell by nearly 90 yards.

Im not even arguing who is better, but calling Miller a homer pick is not real smart.

I haven't seen as much of Miller as I have of Bell so I won't comment on who is better. What I will say is stats do not tell the whole story, especially in college football. If we were talking about stats vs. common opponents you might have something.

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I haven't seen as much of Miller as I have of Bell so I won't comment on who is better. What I will say is stats do not tell the whole story, especially in college football. If we were talking about stats vs. common opponents you might have something.

Certainly not the whole story, but Miller also has nearly 400 yards and 4 more TDs recieving. Thats about 1700 yards of offense, and 15 TDs. No way I trade Miller for Bell. I wouldnt trade Miller for Kevin Richardson.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Certainly not the whole story, but Miller also has nearly 400 yards and 4 more TDs recieving. Thats about 1700 yards of offense, and 15 TDs. No way I trade Miller for Bell. I wouldnt trade Miller for Kevin Richardson.

That's going a bit too far, I think. Reasonable minds can disagree, but KRich was a receiving threat and COULD get yards up the middle.

georgecostanza
November 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Remember that Bell had virtually no passing game backing him up. The skill players surrounding Miller are substantially better than those around Bell. You won't find a receiver like Price in the MVFC.

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM

You had me right until the end there...

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
That's going a bit too far, I think. Reasonable minds can disagree, but KRich was a receiving threat and COULD get yards up the middle.

Not at all. Richardson had the benefit of running behind offensive lines composed ENTIRELY of All Americans or All Socon players. Miller has gained over 1300 yards behind an Oline with ZERO AA or All-Socon Olinemen.

Richardson had 4 lane highways open up the middle. Miller has crevices, if that, to run through. Miller is faster and better at reversing field, better at bouncing to the outside and beating the defense to the edge than Krich. Im of the opinion Richardson would not have had the success Miller has had behind this line. I think Miller is the better RB with this OL, plain and simple.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Remember that Bell had virtually no passing game backing him up. The skill players surrounding Miller are substantially better than those around Bell. You won't find a receiver like Price in the MVFC.

This. Indiana State is 100th in total offense and 106th in passing offense. And Bell is close to half of the offensive production of that whole team.

It's not hard to get the kind of numbers miller does when you always have breathing room at the line of scrimmage.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
On a serious note, I see a lot of guys picking ISUr against ASU. Could you all provide your reasoning? I honestly don't know enough about ISUr to even make a guess at which team will win, so I'd like to read a little more about ISUr rather than NDSU and the speed of southern teams. Thanks in advance.
Going on pure talent Illinois St is one of the best teams in the FCS. That is evidenced by the fact that they have nearly one third of first team MVFC performers on their roster (8 of 27). Their offensive and defensive lines are very good and any time you can control the line of scrimmage you have a chance to win no matter how much of a disadvantage the skill players are at. I'll admit I don't know a ton about the abilities of ASU's offensive and defensive lines but I'm betting that Illinois St's lines are better and that is the basis for my pick (along with a touch of conference homerishness in there ;)).

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Going on pure talent Illinois St is one of the best teams in the FCS. That is evidenced by the fact that they have nearly one third of first team MVFC performers on their roster (8 of 27). My basis is that their offensive and defensive lines are very good and any time you can control the line of scrimmage you have a chance to win no matter how much of a disadvantage the skill players are at. I'll admit I don't know a ton about the abilities of ASU's offensive and defensive lines but I'm betting that Illinois St's lines are better and that is the basis for my pick (along with a touch of conference homerishness in there ;)).

Depends. Apps OL in the hurry up offense is nearly unstoppable. Defensively, the Dline generally allows our AA calibre linebackers freedom to roam, to blitz or whatever, and our 2 safeties are very good at shooting in for tackles for loss. The question isnt so much what App's lines can do, as it is what the lines allow the rest of the team to do.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM

I guess if you are not planning on being in the FCS much longer you wouldn't really care, but if you are going to be in the FCS for at least a while longer it matters. If your conference keeps doing poorly in the playoffs it will get harder and harder for you to get a seed or a first-round bye.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
CAA fans made it the cool thing to do.

FIFA

SpeedkingATL
November 27th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I guess if you are not planning on being in the FCS much longer you wouldn't really care, but if you are going to be in the FCS for at least a while longer it matters. If your conference keeps doing poorly in the playoffs it will get harder and harder for you to get a seed or a first-round bye.

+1

theasushow
November 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have never in my entire life seen a game thread where one team doesnt have a single post and yet there is 19 pages of banter all from a rival conference mate. I mean really...Has there been one ISU poster to comment on this entire thread? Am I a bad person if I dont go to GSU and Wofford's threads and say how they will dominate in every facet of the game?

GoVols
November 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I am an ISU guy under a Tennessee cloak. Football at ISU is not king, everyone is crazy about basketball. The basketball team plays @ Louisville at the same time the football team plays ASU, so the guys that would travel to the game have already committed to Louisville. Plus it's a 12 hour drive so there won't be much red represented. Outside of redbirdfan.net, you will not find too many ISU football supporters around. What few who post on outside boards go to CS.com instead. This guy here used to be here more often but was chased off a few years ago.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Going on pure talent Illinois St is one of the best teams in the FCS. That is evidenced by the fact that they have nearly one third of first team MVFC performers on their roster (8 of 27). Their offensive and defensive lines are very good and any time you can control the line of scrimmage you have a chance to win no matter how much of a disadvantage the skill players are at. I'll admit I don't know a ton about the abilities of ASU's offensive and defensive lines but I'm betting that Illinois St's lines are better and that is the basis for my pick (along with a touch of conference homerishness in there ;)).

Thanks. The good news is, that's why they play the games.

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I am an ISU guy under a Tennessee cloak.

Condolences to you.

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have never in my entire life seen a game thread where one team doesnt have a single post and yet there is 19 pages of banter all from a rival conference mate. I mean really...Has there been one ISU poster to comment on this entire thread? Am I a bad person if I dont go to GSU and Wofford's threads and say how they will dominate in every facet of the game?

Anybody seen Redbird Ray?

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I am an ISU guy under a Tennessee cloak. Football at ISU is not king, everyone is crazy about basketball. The basketball team plays @ Louisville at the same time the football team plays ASU, so the guys that would travel to the game have already committed to Louisville. Plus it's a 12 hour drive so there won't be much red represented. Outside of redbirdfan.net, you will not find too many ISU football supporters around. What few who post on outside boards go to CS.com instead. This guy here used to be here more often but was chased off a few years ago.
That is a strange pair of schools to be a fan of. Any story behind it? Yankee transplant that fell in love with the religion of the south once you moved?

NDSU09
November 27th, 2012, 08:05 PM
...says the guy that joined in Nov 2012.

I had an old name but forgot my password and they didnt email me a new one. Either way, I believe I am entitled to my opinion. There are some people out there that aren't on message boards 24/7 that do still know something about football. Shocker, I know.

ASUMountaineer
November 28th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Not at all. Richardson had the benefit of running behind offensive lines composed ENTIRELY of All Americans or All Socon players. Miller has gained over 1300 yards behind an Oline with ZERO AA or All-Socon Olinemen.

Richardson had 4 lane highways open up the middle. Miller has crevices, if that, to run through. Miller is faster and better at reversing field, better at bouncing to the outside and beating the defense to the edge than Krich. Im of the opinion Richardson would not have had the success Miller has had behind this line. I think Miller is the better RB with this OL, plain and simple.

Like I said, Miller is a beast. But, I'm rolling with KRich.

Redbirdgrad
November 28th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hey all. Long time follower, first time poster.

Just wanted to say good luck to the App State fans on here. We play a different breed of football up here, and our defense vs. your offense will be fun to watch. You'll see the All Time Passing leader in MVFC history on Saturday, and a solid offense comes with him. Yes, everyone gets the fact that you have "team speed", etc., but when you can't get the play off because our front 7 is in the backfield, it doesn't matter how many receivers you line up.

Good luck to you guys, should be a heck of a game.

ASUG8
November 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hey all. Long time follower, first time poster.

Just wanted to say good luck to the App State fans on here. We play a different breed of football up here, and our defense vs. your offense will be fun to watch. You'll see the All Time Passing leader in MVFC history on Saturday, and a solid offense comes with him. Yes, everyone gets the fact that you have "team speed", etc., but when you can't get the play off because our front 7 is in the backfield, it doesn't matter how many receivers you line up.

Good luck to you guys, should be a heck of a game.

No doubt you have a solid defense, but against Chatty (best D in the SoCon) ASU had 399 yds , vs Wofford (2nd best D in the Socon) we put up nearly 400 yds and against GSU (#3 best) we put up 552 yds. ISU falls somewhere between Chatty and Wofford in total defense. App will nickel and dime a defense with short passes all day if you rely on the rush. I agree it should be a good game.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/1042/p1

jonmac
November 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM
It's going to be a tough game. Shouldn't all playoff games be tough? I have a lot more confidence that our Oline will be better coached up this year than last year. And our offense as a whole will be much better prepared for a stout defense. We've had 2 weeks to prepare and I think Satterfield will open it up a bit more to keep that good ISU D guessing. I want be able to watch until the 2nd half due to Christmas Parade obligations but I'm going be tuning in as soon as possible.

Redbirdgrad
November 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM
No doubt you have a solid defense, but against Chatty (best D in the SoCon) ASU had 399 yds , vs Wofford (2nd best D in the Socon) we put up nearly 400 yds and against GSU (#3 best) we put up 552 yds. ISU falls somewhere between Chatty and Wofford in total defense. App will nickel and dime a defense with short passes all day if you rely on the rush. I agree it should be a good game.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/1042/p1

So you're saying you'll put up around 400 yards this game... which is average. Thank God you have this figured out for the coaches.

How will your defense do? Very curious. Don't you have holes all over the defense?

ASUG8
November 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM
So you're saying you'll put up around 400 yards this game... which is average. Thank God you have this figured out for the coaches.

How will your defense do? Very curious. Don't you have holes all over the defense?

I'm not in the prediction business and I don't think you'll find that I have any insight into exactly how both teams will play Saturday, and I'm pretty sure I complemented your defense - I'm not sure how you read anything more into my response, but whatever. No need to get snippy, especially for a second post.

I have no idea how our defense will do, but they seem to step up when it counts - that's no secret and has been mentioned by nearly every ASU poster on here. All I'm saying is that we've played some pretty decent defenses so far and have still managed to get our yards against a mix of triple option and more balanced teams.

boonegoon
November 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM

It may be average for ASU but it isn't for the Redbirds. You guys average 313 per game. I venture to say if we get our 400, ISU will be in trouble

Redbirdgrad
November 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yes, we average 313 yards per game, but we play in a conference where we actually play defense.

App State comes from a conference that clearly doesn't.

Here's what we're used to:

Total yards per play:

North Dakot State: 3.80
Indiana State: 4.52
South Dakota State: 4.36

We put up our 313 per game against those defenses...

Appalachian State: 6.03 - gulp.

That's 150%ish more than our conference. What's 150% of 313? 469 yards.

The numbers don't help your case here. But good luck!!!

Redbirdgrad
November 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I'm not in the prediction business and I don't think you'll find that I have any insight into exactly how both teams will play Saturday, and I'm pretty sure I complemented your defense - I'm not sure how you read anything more into my response, but whatever. No need to get snippy, especially for a second post.

I have no idea how our defense will do, but they seem to step up when it counts - that's no secret and has been mentioned by nearly every ASU poster on here. All I'm saying is that we've played some pretty decent defenses so far and have still managed to get our yards against a mix of triple option and more balanced teams.

Lighten up francis!!! Just trying to have a spirited discussion here!!!

ASUG8
November 28th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yes, we average 313 yards per game, but we play in a conference where we actually play defense.

Total yards per play:

That's why we play the games.

Redbirdgrad
November 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
That's why we play the games.

;)

Just showing this game isn't the "walkover" some think it is... I'm glad some App fans are sane enough to give us the opportunity to come down and at least play a football game before the outcome is decided!

Cheers! Good luck!

theasushow
November 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
;)

Just showing this game isn't the "walkover" some think it is... I'm glad some App fans are sane enough to give us the opportunity to come down and at least play a football game before the outcome is decided!

Cheers! Good luck!

We welcome ISU and their fanbase to the rock...how many will make the trip? 2000-3000? more?

Edge316007
November 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM
They average 6,500 in their own stadium and Normal is 650 miles from Boone. You've probably got 2 digits too many.

boonegoon
November 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Total yards per play:

I was referring to your amount of yards that your defense allows not your production.

GoVols
November 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
They average 6,500 in their own stadium and Normal is 650 miles from Boone. You've probably got 2 digits too many.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7986/tickety.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/tickety.jpg/)

In all fairness, Hancock Stadium is under going renovation and half the stands were taken down for the 2012 season...so while 6,500 is a small number, it was practically a full house this year

asumike83
November 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
;)

Cheers! Good luck!

I don't think anyone considers this game a walkover.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
App wins the first round, temps in the 50s, little chance of rain or high winds, fast track, just what App wants, not what ISU wants to hear.

SpeedkingATL
November 28th, 2012, 08:17 PM
;)

Cheers! Good luck!

I think you will find that most App fans are realistic enought to know this game will be no walkover. ISU is very similar to the Maine and Nova teams that took App out in recent playoffs. I think App is a better team this year and doesn't have the coaching issues of the past 2 years but I would be very surprised if either team wins by more than a TD. Good luck to all ISU fans that make it to The Rock on Saturday.

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Total yards per play:

And, good luck to you, as well.

But, I would respectfully disagree that the SoCon teams D is anything less than MVC teams. You'll see. Wofford, Georgia Southern, and App will play well this Saturday.

The statistics you cite can be read another way too. You read them to say that MVC defense is stronger than SoCon defense. Maybe. But, another reading of those exact same statistics can be read to say that SoCon offenses are much better than MVC offenses.

There was a time when a great defensive team could shut out good offenses. I dare say that era is over with the spread option and other quick strike offenses. FYI, App's 1938 team was undefeated and unscored on in the regular season. Not very relevant to this discussion, but impressive nonetheless.

If there are any differences in D in the SoCon and D playing in the MVC it is because SoCon teams have had to deal with App's spread option since 2004. Prior to 2004, App ran a Power-I offense, much more of a smash-mouth brand of football. Some teams in the SoCon still prefer that "3 yards and a cloud of dust" version of the game. App has moved on to favoring speed over size. You can have all the 300 pounders on the D-line you want, but you can't hit what you cannot catch. SoCon teams have adjusted their defenses to counter Apps spread option; and we get every team's best shot. Oh, and those short corners you have are going to get challenged by #14, a 6'5" WR w/ a 45" vertical leap.

So, I say bring your absolute best game Saturday. I hope you do. And, I would not have it any other way. But, those 300 pounders are going to get worn slam out.

Good luck! If you're in Boone Saturday, come by Duncan lot, #18.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Going to be a fun game, is ISU can use its size and strength to control the lines and time of possession, Apps in big trouble, if App can speed up the game, get their athletes in the open field, Apps probably going to win. Pretty simple game plan for both coaching staffs.

Redbirdgrad
November 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM

But, I would respectfully disagree that the SoCon teams D is anything less than MVC teams. You'll see. Wofford, Georgia Southern, and App will play well this Saturday.

The statistics you cite can be read another way too. You read them to say that MVC defense is stronger than SoCon defense. Maybe. But, another reading of those exact same statistics can be read to say that SoCon offenses are much better than MVC offenses.

There was a time when a great defensive team could shut out good offenses. I dare say that era is over with the spread option and other quick strike offenses. FYI, App's 1938 team was undefeated and unscored on in the regular season. Not very relevant to this discussion, but impressive nonetheless.

If there are any differences in D in the SoCon and D playing in the MVC it is because SoCon teams have had to deal with App's spread option since 2004. Prior to 2004, App ran a Power-I offense, much more of a smash-mouth brand of football. Some teams in the SoCon still prefer that "3 yards and a cloud of dust" version of the game. App has moved on to favoring speed over size. You can have all the 300 pounders on the D-line you want, but you can't hit what you cannot catch. SoCon teams have adjusted their defenses to counter Apps spread option; and we get every team's best shot. Oh, and those short corners you have are going to get challenged by #14, a 6'5" WR w/ a 45" vertical leap.

So, I say bring your absolute best game Saturday. I hope you do. And, I would not have it any other way. But, those 300 pounders are going to get worn slam out.

I'm sorry, but you completely lost me when you tried to compare the defense in the SoCon with what you'll find in the MVFC.

I really wish I could make the game, but with a little one it wont be possible.

I really wish you guys luck. One of my favorite teams to watch and I wish I could root for both teams this year.

asumike83
November 28th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I think this game is a toss-up but I am going with ASU by a 31-28 final.

I did a full write-up of the game for anyone who would like to read it:
http://appstatecentral.com/content/mikes-preview-and-prediction-illinois-state-redbirds

Good luck to ISU, I hope any fans making the trip have a great time. Go App!

Southern Bison
November 28th, 2012, 11:04 PM

MVFC defenses have shown they know how to handle the offenses you mention on numerous occasions. There's an old adage that great offense puts butts in seats, but great defenses win championships. The ISU-r defense is a very good defensive unit and their offense can handle their own. As a Charlotte resident and friends with many App alum, I'm looking forward to a great FCS playoff game but I've also told those friends to not be overconfident because ISU-r is a solid team in all facets. Good luck to you both.

georgecostanza
November 30th, 2012, 08:35 AM
http://www.goredbirds.com/allaccess/?media=355755

ASUG8
November 30th, 2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.goredbirds.com/allaccess/?media=355755

Good vid, but I think the 30K attendance will be quite a bit less for this game. Hopefully we have enough of a 12th man to swing things in our direction.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Since the Redbirds wear the exact same uniform, helmet, logo and all, as my old High School team, I predict terrible pain for them. I know those unis are jinxed. xasswhipx

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 12:43 PM
By the way Redbirds, tell your video guy, concrete is poured, not layed.

Apphole
November 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGLmCPTwik&list=UUw23HkvmS3ZytlXdBD6mozw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

ASUG8
November 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGLmCPTwik&list=UUw23HkvmS3ZytlXdBD6mozw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

That's awesome on several levels.

Apphole
November 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM
That's awesome on several levels.

Yeah it is.

I'm still wondering how none of those guys ran any routes for god sake. If I'm still in college and Jamal comes up to me in his pads/uniform, holding a football, I'm going long.

ASUG8
November 30th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah it is.

I'm still wondering how none of those guys ran any routes for god sake. If I'm still in college and Jamal comes up to me in his pads/uniform, holding a football, I'm going long.

You must be a fan of getting the Elway cross in your chest. :D

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'm still wondering how none of those guys ran any routes for god sake.

And the people that walk by pretending not to notice a 6'3 dude walking around in full pads and uniform. I mean, really? xlolx

theasushow
November 30th, 2012, 05:17 PM
And the people that walk by pretending not to notice a 6'3 dude walking around in full pads and uniform. I mean, really? xlolx

Never seen this before...its hilarious, and so freakin awesome.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Tough game for the Redbirds to win.

Close game.

Cheering for fellow MV team.

GO Redbirds

Grizo406
November 30th, 2012, 06:10 PM

That vid is TERRIFIC!xnodxxnodx

Thanks, Apphole!!xthumbsupx

Apphole
November 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EqCKIsFvPM&feature=g-all

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM
DAMN! That "Lombardi" part starting around 4:20 gave me major goosebumps.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I don't know what will happen tomorrow, but this TEAM will give their ALL for Appalachian. If you are a fan of App State get your butt to KBS tomorrow, stand up the entire game and prepare to lose your voice. This might be your last chance to make a playoff run make it count!

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Our videos get better and better.

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah it is.

That's exactly what I thought when watching the video *brofist* but there are risks involved. I see it now I go long and an incredibly hot girl watches the ball drill me and knock me flat on my face and the ball falls innocently to the ground. Bad luck Brian.

With all that said though, yes I'm running a post route.

Apphole
November 30th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I'm gonna take the words fist, long, incredibly hot girl, ball, drill and face from your little fantasy and create a much better fantasy.

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2012, 10:52 PM
LMAO!!!!

Yeah but maybe he leads you too much because your 5 times slower than his average WR and the ball is about to drill the hot girl, she never sees it and you just lay out and make the one handed catch of a life time to save her. Bam

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Good luck tomorrow Apps.... I look forward to seeing your team (and hopefully some of your fans) in Cheney next week. xnodx

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Good luck tomorrow Apps.... I look forward to seeing your team (and hopefully some of your fans) in Cheney next week. xnodx

Thanks, but no thanks, we look forward to hosting Wagner in beautiful Kidd Brewer! :D

frozennorth
December 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM
so, has anyone from isu posted in this thread yet? xlolx

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM

ISU who?

proasu89
December 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM

2. Redbirdgrad & Govols.

RadioFan
December 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
http://youtu.be/_EqCKIsFvPM

Hi Hi Yikas

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM
If I can regain my composure after learning of the death of ex-Maine star Jovan Belcher, Mr. C will be providing his normal in-game thread as this one moves along. All of us up here in the ASU press box are stunned by the news out of Kansas City right now.

AppMAN04
December 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
http://youtu.be/_EqCKIsFvPM

Hi Hi Yikas

LOVE THIS!! GO APPS!!

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
One of the best weather days I can remember in Boone for a playoff game today. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
ASU won the toss and elected to receive.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Kickoff returned out of the end zone to the ASU 14.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Price screen to the 23. 2nd down run by Miller for a loss of 3 and then a false start. 3rd and 10 for ASU.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
3 and out for ASU, pressure on the punt and FC at the ISU 31 with 12:57 left in the first.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Dunn bangs for 4 and is tackled by Kimbrough.