PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Postseason Awards

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2012-13/6303/league-announces-top-individual-awards/

QB Matt Brown of Illinois State; DB Marcus Williams of North Dakota State; QB Sawyer Kollmorgen of UNI; and head coach Craig Bohl headline the 2012 Missouri Valley Football Conference all-conference team (the full all-conference units will be announced Monday.)

Brown has been named Offensive Player of the Year -- edging RB Zach Zenner of South Dakota State and RB Shakir Bell of Indiana State in a tight vote for the league's top offensive honor.
Williams is the league's Defensive Player of the Year, as he finished ahead of Illinois State's Colton Underwood in the voting by the league's panel of head coaches, sports information directors and media.
Kollmorgen has been selected as the league's Freshman and Newcomer of the Year.
And Bohl, who led the top-ranked Bison to a 10-1 record, MVFC outright crown, and No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Division I Football Championship playoffs, is the league's Coach of the Year.

SportsLover
November 21st, 2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2012-13/6303/league-announces-top-individual-awards/?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400

I assume all-conference teams will be announced shortly. I'll update this post when they do.

All-conference teams come out next week.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM
All-conference teams come out next week.
Haha, yeah maybe I should read the whole article. :o

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM
The only one of these that seems unexpected is Brown winning over Bell and Zenner.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
The only one of these that seems unexpected is Brown winning over Bell and Zenner.

Neither Zenner nor Bell really separated themselves from one another, so people ultimatley probably just voted for Brown because they couldn't make a clear choice between the other two...

Twentysix
November 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM
Neither Zenner nor Bell really separated themselves from one another, so people ultimatley probably just voted for Brown because they couldn't make a clear choice between the other two...

Did they both have hugely inflated stats early in the season and a bunch of 100yd or less games later in the season?

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM

Both Zenner and Bell are underclassmen while Brown is a senior. I suspect that played a role with some voters as well, whether it should've or not.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
Both Zenner and Bell are underclassmen while Brown is a senior. I suspect that played a role with some voters as well, whether it should've or not.

Haley Joel Osment should've won the Best Actor award for his role in Sixth Sense, but he was also too young & people assumed he'd get plenty more opportunities in the future... We all know how that turned out.

Brown winning this award leaves a sour taste in my mouth, although I can't really give it to Zenner over Bell, or Bell over Zenner, either. Zenner & Bell deserved to finish 1-2, in my opinion.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Did they both have hugely inflated stats early in the season and a bunch of 100yd or less games later in the season?

Inflated?! I mean, Zenner had a bunch of really long runs in the first 4 or 5 games, but I'm not sure that qualifies as "inflated". He made the runs, and it's not the Defense was allowing him to do it. They were trying to stop him as best they could.

It isn't the same as the 138 points scored by same D3 kid in hoops last night, where nobody else on his team shot the ball and they pressed, fouled, and called time out all game so he could get the record. Putting freshman in to foul, just so they could force the other team to shoot free-throws and get the ball back so this clown could throw up another 3 pointer. What a joke. That, my friend, is "inflated".

No, Zenner's starts are not "inflated". He was making those runs against some decent teams (Indiana State's Top 10 D, Kansas of the Big 12, etc). Plus, he just went for 168 last week against USD, so he ended the season with a big game.

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah I was ready to defend Brown, but after looking at the stats there is no reason he should have won. He stats were basically even with Kollmorgen. Kollmorgen had fewer yards, lower completion percentage, but had more TDs and fewer interceptions all with fewer attempts. Heck, Kollmorgen had a higher efficiency rating. Brown was arguably not even the best quarterback in the MVFC let alone the best offensive player.

Comparing Zenner to Bell is tough. Zenner had more overall yards and more YPC, but I think he had the better team around him. Bell had 1 more TD so that was a wash. Zenner had like 30 more receiving yards, but no TDs and Bell had 1 receiving TD. This very well should have been an extremely close vote between Zenner and Bell for 1-2. Ultimately I think Brown won because of his team finishing 2nd, and his entire 4 year body of work rather than just this season which is not right in my mind.

Kemo
November 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM
The Jacks played full scholarship teams for all their OOC games (Kansas, Southeastern Louisiana, & UC Davis), so his stats weren't inflated by weak opponents. I would say his stats became somewhat deflated by the great run defenses in the MVFC keying on him along with the Austin's thumb injury healing up by the end of the season, allowing the Jacks to pass more efficiently and not rely on Zenner as much.

That said, Bell had less help than Zenner overall and was essentially ISU-Tree's offense. Zenner or Bell probably had equal claim to award, and in cruel irony, neither got it.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah I was ready to defend Brown, but after looking at the stats there is no reason he should have won. He stats were basically even with Kollmorgen. Kollmorgen had fewer yards, lower completion percentage, but had more TDs and fewer interceptions all with fewer attempts. Heck, Kollmorgen had a higher efficiency rating. Brown was arguably not even the best quarterback in the MVFC let alone the best offensive player.

Comparing Zenner to Bell is tough. Zenner had more overall yards and more YPC, but I think he had the better team around him. Bell had 1 more TD so that was a wash. Zenner had like 30 more receiving yards, but no TDs and Bell had 1 receiving TD. This very well should have been an extremely close vote between Zenner and Bell for 1-2. Ultimately I think Brown won because of his team finishing 2nd, and his entire 4 year body of work rather than just this season which is not right in my mind.

You are probably right on the 4 year body of work, and I think I'm right on people having trouble picking between Zenner or Bell (split vote, if you will), but Illinois State didn't finish 2nd. They finished 3rd, behind SDSU, so you can rule that out as the reason.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM
SDSU finished 2nd in voting for Offesnive MVP (Zenner), Newcomer (Lally) & Coach (Stig) of the Year awards.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. xrolleyesx Bummer...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Inflated?! I mean, Zenner had a bunch of really long runs in the first 4 or 5 games, but I'm not sure that qualifies as "inflated". He made the runs, and it's not the Defense was allowing him to do it. They were trying to stop him as best they could.

It isn't the same as the 138 points scored by same D3 kid in hoops last night, where nobody else on his team shot the ball and they pressed, fouled, and called time out all game so he could get the record. Putting freshman in to foul, just so they could force the other team to shoot free-throws and get the ball back so this clown could throw up another 3 pointer. What a joke. That, my friend, is "inflated".

No, Zenner's starts are not "inflated". He was making those runs against some decent teams (Indiana State's Top 10 D, Kansas of the Big 12, etc). Plus, he just went for 168 last week against USD, so he ended the season with a big game.

I would have voted for Zenner.

His run against Kansas was awesome. Running away from Big 12 d-backs.....frickin great!!